double trouble

My Wife is A Gangster

 

Chaos everywhere.

 

Flames, smoke, bodies and blood, nothing but pure destruction. Not a single mercy, not a single chance. The members of the Machete were each executed one by one, an act of aggression through the hands of the Onyx.

 

It was an order from Park Joon Hyung himself; still furious over Machete’s sneaky attack on his daughter’s wedding. But even after thrashing the organization’s territories—dens, buildings, fortresses, Lee Byung Hun and his children could not be found.

 

The Machete leader was quick and just like a hyena, he escaped among the shadows. Joon Hyung is certain that he has gone overseas, camping until the fire has settled down. But he made a mistake and forgot that an act of betrayal to his clan, was a terrible mistake.

 

“W-we got the information of the wedding…from your guys. Offered them a huge sum of cash and they were happy to hand it over…guess your loyal hounds aren’t loyal anymore huh?”

 

One of the Machete men confessed, ready to breathe his last at the hands of Park Chanyeol. Already, there was a glow of fury on his eyes. To think that there was mole hiding amongst The Onyx themselves, to think that they had the backbone to backstab the family. This was getting out of control.

 

“How dare they?!”

 

The brother yelled, giving no second for the poor man to his death; slamming his head hard to the ground, blood splattered everywhere. Turning around to glance at his men who flinched, heads down, it seems that they knew, yet kept their mouths shut.

 

“Speak!”

 

Immediately, all of his men fell to their knees, begging for mercy. They did not want to be killed for the wrong thought. They were simply witness and nothing more. But for the Onyx, a small mistake of remaining silent, is already a crime.

 

“Which one of you sold the information to those s?!”

 

Silence once again.

 

“Do you really want me to kill ALL of you right now?!”

 

“Stop it brother.” Bogum walked down the staircase, hands dragging down two corpses of the Machete and lazily tossed it into a fire pit. Dusting his hands, he sighed and showed him the pager.

 

It was a message for all Park family members to attend an emergency meeting, without the presence of their sister, Chorong.

 

“We’ve got a bigger problem at hand.” The young man said, shooting a glare at his men, “You should be thankful that I’m with brother, otherwise all of you would be dead by now. Be grateful.” He shook his head, putting Chanyeol’s weapon down.

 

The two brothers were known as the Devil and Angel. Chanyeol is merciless, while Bogum is forgiving. Even in the world of the Onyx, these two somehow compliment one another and make a great pair together.

 

At the underground headquarters of the Onyx, there is a tense atmosphere hanging in the air. Park Joon Hyung has kept silent for the past five minutes as his children did the same, waiting for him to start. The clock has continued to tick along the rhythm and the man’s face has continued to fume as each second passed by.

 

Looking at the empty seat in front which is supposed to be the place where Chorong usually sat, Joon Hyung decided that there isn’t much time anymore. He needs to keep his feelings intact and keep moving. He must not falter to these distractions.

 

“I apologize.”

 

Joon Hyung finally muttered a sentence, sending heads turning his direction.

 

“I never thought Lee Byung Hun would catch me so smartly like this. It’s humiliating indeed, especially when all my children are watching.” He clicked his tongue, steam fuming out of his nostrils.

 

The man clasped his hands tightly, hoping that his nightmare did not become a reality.

 

“Our clients are in danger. Our territories are in danger. And most importantly, your sister and her wife are in danger. We must act fast.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Waking up to a peaceful morning was rare to come by.

 

Chorong never had a good night sleep. At the smallest sounds at night, her eyes will open, hands ready to hold her gun and ready to defend herself against an intruder. It was like that for the past twenty-five years.

 

But for once, it happened. A good night’s sleep.

 

Shifting through the sheets as she groaned, eyes squinting at the sunlight filtering through the white curtain shades, it’s so comfortable right now, she can’t believe it. The quiet snooze of the air conditioner and cold temperature in the room, she could continue sleeping if she wanted to.

 

But a sudden realization hit her mind. She’s married now. She has a wife and has a new duty to uphold. Everything that happened from yesterday, the spar, the wedding, their first meeting, all came flooding in.

 

Back to reality.

 

Turning to her side, it’s empty. Looks like Eunji woke up earlier and went ahead to god knows where. Probably eating breakfast, exercising or… Chorong can’t think of anything else because she doesn’t know her that well yet.

 

And she doesn’t know what will happen next.

 

The image of the doctor inside her head is doing nothing but sending her heart beating away. She doesn’t like it, this nervous feeling that can’t seem to go away.

 

Not wanting to dwell on trivial thoughts, Chorong got up and headed to the bathroom. There were signs of Eunji’s presence, the wet area around the sink, a used toothbrush in a cup and a towel hanging on the wall.

 

Eunji’s towel.

 

Chorong paused. Eyes locked on the towel as she unconsciously gulped. Without even realizing, she picked it up and took a whiff. The doctor’s scent…smelled good. Something along the line of fresh flowers and baby wash…she wants to smell it again, maybe engrain it in her memory or-

 

“You’re awake.”

 

“Y-Yeah!”

 

The flustered Chorong flinched, swiftly turning around and flinging her hands away from the towel.

 

“Did I scare you?” The doctor chuckled, noticing the hint of surprise all over Chorong’s face. It’s cute because she looks really embarrassed. Something she didn’t think she would see in the morning. “Not sure if you like pancakes but I cooked some and they are on the table outside.”

 

“I see. T-thanks.”

 

Eunji walked away with a lazy grin as Chorong breathed a relieved sigh, hand clutching onto her ever-beating heart as she turned to look at the mirror, shy at how she’s blushing like mad.

 

Meanwhile, the doctor is doing morning stretches in the living room. Thinking about the moment earlier, it has her giggling. An embarrassed Chorong playing back and forth in her head like a looped cassette, maybe Eunji is totally swooned by the tough gangster.

 

She never thought it would be possible to suddenly fall in love. She deemed it impossible at first, especially when Chorong tried to kill her during their first meeting. But guess, things can be pretty unexpected.

 

Her ears picked up the sound of soft, gentle footsteps. Turning around, she greeted her wife with a smile. She’s excited to spend another day with her. Maybe they could go hiking later, or another round of spar. Whatever it is, Eunji is determined to get closer with her gangster wife.

 

“Let’s eat!”

 

“You were waiting for me?”

 

“Of course! It would be so boring to eat alone, although the food has gotten cold though.”

 

“You didn’t have to…really.”

 

Eunji frowned at that comment. “Don’t you eat with your family? Sitting around the table with your parents, siblings and just having a moment of chit-chat?”

 

Chorong shook her head as her eyes land on the pancake served in front of her. It’s simple, with a dressing of maple syrup and of butter. Sweet foods were something she actually loved, but never had the opportunity to enjoy often.

 

And secretly, she was thankful to Eunji for cooking it.

 

“Let’s eat.”

 

Nothing but silence at the table—besides the occasional tapping of metal forks and knifes against the ceramic plate. Eunji is an observant doctor and is wary of the smallest details of her patients. That applies the same to the person in front of her.

 

Chorong eats in a surprisingly, proper and posh manner for a gangster. It shows from the way she holds her knife and fork, gently slicing the pancake and putting it into . Maybe her father brought them up harshly as a means to train them.

 

She’s so focused onto eating that it makes the doctor wonder what is going on in her mind. She wants to know and ask a million questions.

 

“Do you like pancakes?”

 

Eunji wanted to start a conversation because silent breaks at the table just wasn’t her thing. In her family, dinners are always a noisy time. Everyone was fighting for a chance to talk and share, laughing and chattering away for hours on.

 

“I do. Actually…I like sweet things. But…I don’t have the chance to eat them often.”

 

Chorong answered them carefully, still hesitant to reveal a bit about herself. But she feels comfortable around the doctor, yet wanting to be cautious. She still has trust issues and is trying hard to make that go away.

 

“So, cakes, candies, ice cream?”

 

Watching Chorong nod in response, it brought a great idea to Eunji’s mind.

 

“I know a great ice cream place just near the hospital. I can take you there next time.”

 

“I thought surgeons like you live in the hospital and have no time to even go anywhere?”

 

“Well, you’re my reason now.”

 

The doctor winked with a teasing grin and doesn’t even realize that from that small action, it has driven the gangster nuts with another round of a dancing, nervous heart. Chorong doesn’t know how to react from that her sudden comment and suddenly turned away, wanting to hide her blushing face again.

 

“Ah-sorry, was that cheesy? Crap! Sorry, my interns and friends all tell me that I at dating because of comments like this. Probably cringy right? Okay, let’s pretend that I didn’t say that! Let’s-“

 

Chorong broke into a soft giggle, covering her laughing mouth with her hand. She doesn’t know why but she found it humorous. The way Eunji suddenly squeezes all of her words in one breath and the way her expression is so clear on her face, like a puppy realizing a mistake, she couldn’t help but to laugh.

 

It’s actually…cute.

 

“W-was that funny?”

 

“Yes. It was.”

 

“Wow.” Eunji smiled, her heart feeling lighter as she wished to see more of the smile that Chorong’s hiding under those hands. “I should make you laugh more.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you’re so beautiful when you laugh like that.”

 

And that was the final blow.

 

Chorong’s face became a red tomato and she’s gone speechless. She’s never received compliments before. Everyone she’s met, her foes, her co-workers, all fear the almighty queen. They shiver in fear, heads down and often spread rumors that she is cold and heartless. 

 

No one has ever called her “beautiful” or any of those flowery words that caused her heart to flutter so hard right now. Or rather, her heart has never danced this hard.

 

“Why are you blushing so hard?!” The doctor broke into a loud laughter, almost wanting to pinch Chorong’s cheeks but held back out of respect.

 

“S-Shut up!”

 

“I should take a photo of this!” The doctor teased, taking out her phone.

 

“No! off!”

 

“Wow, your true side is showing!”

 

Eunji continued to laugh, although feeling the shiver down her spine when the gangster cussed. But she liked this fear. It was a good kind of fear. As the doctor attempted to chase Chorong around the kitchen like kids running about, the gangster suddenly grabbed hold of Eunji’s wrist.

 

“Oh-“

 

She thought they were going somewhere now.

 

“Get down!” She yelled, pulling Eunji to the ground as both of them went flat behind the kitchen counters as a round of bullets fired through the glass windows, shattering every piece apart.

 

Yeah…nope. They were ed by intruders.

 

“W-What the?!”

 

“ing hell, they found us.” Chorong regretted not bringing her pistol out. She left it at the night stand in the bedroom and her only weapon now, is her body. “You should go and find a place to hide. Don’t let them find you.”

 

“No.” Eunji frowned, clearly not wanting to become a damsel in distress. “I want to fight alongside with you.”

 

The gangster doesn’t have time to argue with her wife’s reckless decisions nor consider the stake of their lives at the moment because enemies are already attempting to break through the door.

 

“Fine. Just…follow my lead and don’t get hurt.”

 

“Roger that.” Eunji smiled softly, noticing the concern in Chorong’s words. It’s a small improvement but she can see that Chorong is genuinely worried for her.

 

“Get a weapon.”

 

At her orders, Eunji rummaged through the drawers and obtained two heavy ceramic plates, a steel knife and a dry cloth…should work somehow. Her gangster wife was already positioned behind the walls, ready to attack with her bare fists, definitely a professional. Rushing to her side, Eunji nodded her head to indicate that she was ready.

 

Within the count of three, the doors burst open as armed men invaded their living space. Storming in with their heavy guns, it was showtime.

 

 

xxx

 

 

It was just the first day of their new assignment and already, there is more trouble coming their way. Eight in the morning and the bodyguards are exhausted from their 24/7 shift.

 

“Sorry. Did I wake you up?” Bomi whispered, putting a blazer over Naeun as she is sloped on the table, burying her head between her arms. She didn’t intend on sleeping at all, but the nurse wouldn’t stop nagging.

 

“Want some water? Maybe you are hungry? I have some snacks on my table.” The nurse asked, smiling as she’s never seen her bodyguard this vulnerable and small.

 

For once, it makes her want to take care of Naeun.

 

“It’s okay…”

 

“Hey, are you sure? You slept for only two hours.” Bomi stopped her from getting up and insisted that she should get more rest.

 


“And what about you?”

 

“Uh…”

 

The question took her by surprise. Bomi had only an hour of sleep, so she’s technically on the losing side here. But she’s used to it. The coffee and sugar will keep her going till…she passes out from exhaustion.

 

“…Fine. Do what you want. If you pass out, I can probably hook up an IV drip for you.”

 

The nurse admitted her defeat, raising her hands in surrender. She swore that she saw the bodyguard smile for a couple of seconds. Edges of her lips turning upwards briefly before returning back to that dull, cold expression.

 

She wanted to see more of that.

 

“Well, if you’re going to wake up now. Best to change your bandages too.” Bomi said, opening the cabinet and taking out the first aid kit.

 

“You don’t need to change it.”

 

“Oh, do you want me to nag you about the risks of not changing it? My mouth is all warmed up!” The nurse frowned with a pout, placing her two hands on her waist.

 

“Fine. Change it.” Naeun rolled her eyes, leaving her arm to the nurse.

 

Mornings in Seven Life are usually the calm before the storm.

 

It’s the perfect time to take a moment of breather but for Hayoung, she is bored. Namjoo’s shift hours ended six hours ago and the nurse went home. As much as she wanted to follow her back, it wasn’t her place to do so. After all, her assignment was to protect Seven Life.

 

Whatever happens beyond that, is none of her concern.

 

Playing and twisting a blade between her fingers, she received a beep from her pager. It’s a message from Park Joon Hyung. There has been a change of plans and it isn’t going to sound good.

 

After the Onyx’s attempts to destroy everything, the Machete have vowed revenge and will now, crush everything related to the Onyx; family, friends, territories and especially, Seven Life Hospital.

 

A war has been declared.

 

“.”

 

Running off and interrupting the sweet moment of Naeun and Bomi, she broke the news to her fellow. It was a storm coming down and there isn’t much time to prepare. The Machete are a huge organization with many of their members in disguise. For all you know, they could already be hiding in the hospital right now.

 

“Are they crazy? Do they not understand the consequences of this?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe they said the police and said let’s have a huge battle for everyone to see.” Hayoung shrugged with a sigh, looking at Bomi who is confused at the whole situation.

 

“Um…sorry for intruding but are we all going to die?” The nurse asked, assuming that from the conversation.

 

“Probably. I need you to do a favor, uh-what was your name again- “

 

“Bomi.”

 

“Right. Bomi, I need you to evacuate every single person in this hospital right now. They are coming.”

 

“Who’s coming?”

 

“The people who are gonna kill you. And me…and basically everyone.”

 

“Hayoung, you just made things worse.” Naeun sighed, shaking her head at her friend’s terrible presentation of information.

 

“Well, sorry! Anyways, do us a favour and come up with a lie to temporarily close the hospital. We can’t risk more lives right now. Too many deaths to handle, I’d say.” Hayoung said, running out of the corridor and calling the rest of her team over for an emergency meeting.

 

“I’m counting on you, Bomi.” Naeun said, noticing the panic in her eyes. She isn’t good at comforting people but the least the woman could do, was to give her some assurance. A smile. “You won’t die.”

 

And a smile, was all she needed. It’s a beautiful smile fit for a beautiful woman with a kind heart.

 

“I’ll do my best.” Bomi nodded, as she got ready to dial the numbers and inform the rest of the hospital staff.

 

 

xxx

 

 

It was supposed to be a safe, protected haven for Eunji and Chorong to have their honeymoon. But someone leaked the information and revealed the location, making Machete’s plans of killing the doctor, much easier.

 

There is a mole working in the Onyx. Anyone who had the ability to give the information out was probably a member of the higher hierarchy—someone who has vowed their loyalty for more than ten years.

 

But the Machete forgot that they were also dealing with the “Queen”, the Onyx’s feared second daughter, Park Chorong. She’s definitely skilled, easily taking out three men with her bare fists. Although dressed in a simple white tee, it makes her movements much more fluid and agile.

 

They also did not take into account that the doctor, Jung Eunji knows how to fight. Working side by side with the Queen, the duo exhibited great teamwork. A gangster-doctor team is unexpected but, the results were remarkable. Chorong takes the front-line, attacking enemies head on while Eunji is supporting her from behind.

 

Toppling one man over and stealing his heavy machine gun, it’s game over. A loud click and reload, the Queen is back in action.

 

Shooting bullets across, the men stood no chance. Clearing the path, “That car over there, Eunji!” She shouted with an order, telling the doctor to take the red Land Rover parked at the garage. It was originally a vehicle for them to travel around the compound, either to go fishing, hiking or even go camping.

 

“It’s too risky!” Eunji yelled over, hiding behind the walls as bullets narrowly crease the concrete. She thinks it’s a suicide mission.

 

“Trust me. I’ll cover you.”

 

That tone of confidence. The doctor glanced over at her wife, giving her a push through her eyes. In those orbs, was a woman who has seen a lot in her life. Death, blood, war, and by experience, she knows the odds better.

 

“If I die, I’m going to haunt you forever.”

 

Eunji sighed, closing her eyes momentary before taking a leap forward and dashing out of the door. Already, Chorong is firing at the men. She isn’t going to let any of them touch her.

 

Quickly jumping into the car and starting the engine, Eunji pressed hard onto the pedal and the vehicle charged forward, running through a couple men along the way.

 

“Holy ! Are they…okay?”

 

“Does it look like they would be okay?! Let’s go!”

 

Chorong crawled into the passenger seat, rolling out the window as she popped her head out, gun aiming away. At the queen’s orders, Eunji drove through the thick, dense forest. As there were probably more ahead, Chorong instructed her to drive off the road.

 

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?!” The doctor is clearly insisting that she is going to get the two of them killed.

 

“Just do it!”

 

“Fuc- Fine!”

 

Turning the wheel around, the vehicle takes a sharp turn and goes off the road, driving straight into the rocky terrain. The ride is bumpy, they are jumping up and down, cutting through trees and flying across giant rocks. More turns, twirls and spins, they could literally puke.

 

“Stop!”

 

At Chorong’s orders, Eunji pressed the brake hard. The Land Rover screeched to a halt as they were now in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but greenery. The queen is confident that they are so deep in that it will take time for the enemies to find them.

 

Twenty minutes, that’s her estimate.

 

“Gosh…what a ride.” The doctor caught her breath, leaning back to the seat. “I can’t believe I signed up for this .”

 

“Sorry. You still have time to file for a divorce.”

 

“I’ll pass. I like having a dangerous wife.”

 

And with that, the two of them broke into a laughter.

 

It feels as if they cheated death. There was no way they could have survive a surprise attack like that. Even for Chorong, the professional, she didn’t think that they would make it out alive. She was prepared to sacrifice herself if she had too…but luckily, that didn’t happen.

 

“I…think you’re my lucky charm.” The gangster shyly mumbled, glancing over at the doctor who is just b so brightly. Her smile has so much warmth, it makes her feel relieved, like a comfortable home to confide in.

 

“Really?”

 

“Y-yeah.”

 

“Okay then. Chorong, look at me.”

 

“What?”

 

All it took was a turn around and suddenly, Eunji planted a soft, quick peck on Chorong’s cheek. In a second, the doctor is already back in her seat, pretending that nothing happened.

 

“W-Wha-“

 

“You said I’m your lucky charm so I’m giving my luck to you!”

 

Eunji laughed, knowing that is probably the cheesiest line she’s said but she doesn’t mind. She gets to see Chorong go all red again and that’s all she wants.

 

The gangster remained silent, speechless at everything. “G-get out…” That’s all she can say. It’s the only sentence that can defend her right now.

 

“Are we moving to a different location so that we can kiss more privately?”  

 

“What?! No!”

 

The doctor kept laughing as she continued to wife, she’s pretty adamant on her decision now. She’s never going to let her go.

 

“We need to walk by foot now because those guys are going to be looking for this car! If we keep riding around in this vehicle, we will just be a walking target.”

 

“I know! I know! I was just messing with ya! Hahaha!”

 

Chorong rolled her eyes, deciding not to respond to Eunji anymore as she got out of the car. She’s seen another side of this doctor. A very playful side and…she hates it the most because she is able to craft out sentences that simply make her heart flutter in the most uncomfortable way.

 

 

xxx

 

 

The clock is ticking, its sound filling up the empty space of the now, isolated hospital lobby.

 

Hayoung and her men have gathered in the centre, ready to defend themselves. But it isn’t enough manpower. In charge of Team A, it is just her and four other Onyx members. She’s just hoping that luck will be on her side today.

 

Team B, is stationed in the upper floors of Seven Life. All of the patients have been gathered and placed in a larger facility, with all of their machines and life-support. The lives of the civilians are more important and thus, there are more Onyx members; seven of them. Naeun has been trying to get in contact with Park Joon Hyung, hoping that the boss will request for backup.

 

But the line is busy. Looks like the attacks have already begun.

 

“If anything happens, I’ll protect the patients with my life.” Bomi said with determination, although she’s really a coward when it comes to situations like this. The fire of a gun already has her running away.

 

“Take this.” Naeun handed a small blade to the nurse. “It will increase your chances of survival.”

 

“Guess I’m directing my own action movie huh?” The nurse chuckled, hiding the blade well inside her pocket. “Thank you.”

 

Back at the lobby, Hayoung remained cautious and alert. With the gates of the entrance closed, an announcement circulated through the public and possibly, the entrance of police marching into the hospital, the woman doesn’t know what kind of mess will unfold. The Machete really had the nerve to start a war between criminal organizations and the police force.

 

But from afar, she sees someone climbing over the gate. Hayoung completely forgot about her—the nurse, Kim Namjoo.

 

“What the is she doing?!”

 

This left Hayoung no choice but to run after the woman, heading straight to the parking lot as she ordered her men to stay in position.

 

“Leave! It’s not safe!”

 

“I don’t care, Hayoung! I am here because it is my duty as a nurse. There are patients I have to protect and I am in no position to be selfish.”

 

“…Fine. Just hurry the hell up. It’s dangerous.” The woman sighed, not wanting to argue as she helped to pull her over the gate. But the moment Namjoo crossed over, a bullet flew past. It happened very quickly and Hayoung did it upon instinct.

 

She moved in front of Namjoo and became a shield, allowing the bullet to pierce through her thigh.

 

“Argh! !” Hayoung groaned, immediately collapsing to the ground.

 

“Hayoung!”

 

“Don’t! Go and hide behind that car now!”

 

“But-“

 

“I said go!” The woman shouted, clenching her teeth as she limped across, taking out a pistol from her belt strap, ready to attack the incoming intruders.

 

 

xxx

 

 

They have been walking on foot for over ten minutes now.

 

Crossing through rocky paths and getting deeper into the forest, at least the birds are accompanying their exhausting journey. Sweating and icky from the humidity, the women are both panting and catching their breath. Passing through streams and tiny caverns, it makes them wonder whether they are on the right path.

 

“You sure this is the correct way?” Eunji asked, turning around and noticing that Chorong was falling behind. She doesn’t look good. The gangster is taking small, careful movements and her face is growing pale.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Y-yeah. It’s fine.”

 

“You can’t lie to a doctor.”

 

Eunji went straight to Chorong’s side and immediately examined her. Despite Chorong’s protest, the gangster did not have the energy to fight back.

 

“Chorong…”

 

The doctor looked at her with wide eyes, noticing that the gangster was indeed hiding a wound all along. A bullet creased her ankle and Chorong thought she was smart to roll it underneath, when it was clearly going to hinder her movements.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

Eunji is disappointed and slightly angry that Chorong chose to stay quiet and endure the pain by herself. She didn’t like that.

 

“It’s nothing. I can handle it myself.”

 

Oh, that sentence just made her even angrier.

 

“Stop saying that!”

 

Her loud voice took Chorong by surprise and suddenly, she’s gone silent, already feeling guilty for not telling her. From her expression, from her gestures, it tells everything about her sincerity.

 

Eunji tore a piece of her sleeve away, using the cloth to wrap around Chorong’s ankle and applied pressure on it. But it is only temporary. They are going to need medical care fast, before the wound worsens.

 

“I don’t care. You are getting on.” The doctor said, squatting down to let Chorong climb on her back.

 

“I said it’s fine. I can really walk on my own.”

 

“Park Chorong. Please. Get. On.”

 

The gangster has found another new side of her doctor wife. At times, she can be annoying. Other days, she can be oddly cute. And sometimes, a playful child. But today, she can finally see why Eunji is a respected doctor among everyone.

 

She is selfless and kind.

 

Without saying anything else in protest, Chorong climbed onto Eunji’s back and the doctor stands up without much difficulty. Snuggling her head onto the doctor’s shoulder, Chorong smelled it again, her scent.

 

“This is embarrassing…” The gangster mumbled, feeling shy that she’s suddenly the one being helped out. Usually, it’s the other way round.

 

“You call this embarrassing? I think you’ve experienced something much more embarrassing.”

 

Eunji asked, feeling Chorong’s heart beating against her back. It brings butterflies to her stomach especially now that she’s so close. She can hear the soft breaths caressing her ears. It is a little ticklish but also fluttering. Luckily, it isn’t enough to make her go weak under her knees otherwise, she’s screwed.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Seeing you sniff my towel.”

 

The doctor dropped the bomb.

 

“T-t-that w-was- “

 

Eunji laughed out loud, already knowing that she’s scored another round of Chorong turning into a red tomato.

 

“It’s fine, really! Nice to know that I smell good.”

 

“…” Chorong buried her face between Eunji’s shoulders, deciding to just remain quiet for the entire journey.

 

Ten minutes in as they continued wander deep into the forest, they are exhausted. With Chorong constantly nagging Eunji to put her down because she doesn’t want to burden the doctor, they decided to take a break under an oak tree, surrounded by chirping birds and cozy leaves sheltering above.

 

“If only we weren’t in a jungle, I would’ve called help immediately.” Eunji sighed, taking out her phone that is already running low on battery. With no signal, it’s a useless device now besides the amount of photos, notes and data saved that are essential for her work.  

 

“Don’t be surprised but…I don’t know how to operate a phone.”

 

“You…what?!”

 

 “I’m pretty old fashioned. The Onyx don’t really trust technology because it has more weaknesses than strengths. We use stuff like these to communicate.” Chorong chuckled at her reaction and took out her pager to show the doctor.

 

“This is pretty vintage but kinda cool. But I agree. Sometimes, old stuff are way better.”

 

“Even so, I am going to have to learn how to use a phone if I were to contact you right?”

 

Eunji looked at Chorong, eyebrows moving up in surprise because she hasn’t thought about it yet, their life from now. It was always been just in the very moment and never about the future.

 

Once everything is settled down, the doctor will return back to work like normal. Chorong too…will do the same.

 

The only difference is that they are married now and will share a house together. But marriage is a lot more than just living under one roof. There are heavier responsibilities that are tied to the contract.

 

“We’re…married…after all…so we should at least form some kind of connection…I guess…that’s what my sisters told me…because otherwise they said I will lack behind and not be in trend or something…”

 

The gangster rambled shyly, looking away because she doesn’t want the doctor to again. She doesn’t know how many times she has turned into a red tomato today.

 

And that was enough to leave Eunji grinning brightly. It is such an improvement from their first meeting. Her gangster wife is slowly breaking down the cold walls around, revealing a little bit of her true self.

 

“That’s right. You’re my wife, Chorong.”

 

Leaning against the oak tree, there was nothing but silence after that. It’s understandable. They are tired, thirsty and hungry. Even if the worse happens, at least they won’t die alone.  

 

But maybe, that’s not how they are going to die.

 

From a distance, they hear something. Something similar to that of a motor engine, roaring away and scaring the birds off.

 

“Do you hear that? Death is calling upon us.”

 

The doctor tried to make a joke from that, seemingly accepting her fate now as she held tightly onto Chorong’s hands. She thinks this probably the end.

 

But her gangster wife never gives up. Her tenacity, her bravery. Despite her injury and fatigue, Chorong is reloading her gun and ready to protect the both of them at all cost.

 

“We won’t die.”

 

Eventually, two motorcycles surrounded the couple, their identities concealed by their shaded helmets. But they didn’t seem to shoot at first sight. And that was enough to let Chorong’s guard down because she knew that they were not enemies.

 

“Did something call for a rescue service?” One of the motorcyclists said, parking the automobile and removing her helmet, allowing her long, black hair to finally breathe freely.

 

“Make sure to pay service charge. Double too, because this place is so damn far.” The other motorcyclist chuckled, flashing a cheeky smirk.

 

“You are…” The doctor isn’t quite sure of their names yet, because they only met briefly at the wedding. But familiar faces definitely gave them a moment of relief.

 

“Junghwa. That’s my other sister, Sooyoung. And your wife, is my big unnie. Come on, let’s get going before those guys get you. Don’t want to waste my bullets for a boring fight.”

 

 


 

A/N: Resuce has arrived! The entrance of the Park sisters along with the cute progression of Eunrong as a couple. Now if only either one finally decides to confess their love, that would be perfect wouldn't it? Meanwhile, we have Hajoo and Bona in the state of danger as enemies flock around them. How will these attacks unfold? Do tell me your thoughts and I'll see you in the next chapter. Thank you for reading! :)