your answers

My Wife is A Gangster

 

Her hands are trembling. There’s blood streaming down her fingers. The knife that is tightly gripped on her palms is stabbed straight through the chest. In front of her eyes, she sees her again.

 

Sojin.

 

Grimacing yet smiling away, she doesn’t move away from the attack. And she intends to stay that way as her last. She already knows that this is the end.

 

“U-Unnie…”

 

Chorong gasped, frozen as she has gone blank. There is so many questions in her head but right now, the answers do not matter. What matters right now, is her sister.

 

“I tried to stop you.” Sojin coughed, blood spitting from . “But you were just…too fast. As always…you are amazing…Chorong.” She whispered, using her remaining energy to hold onto her sister’s shivering arms and pulling it closer. She gasped once again, feeling the sharp stab of the blade seeping deeper into her insides as she coughed more blood.

 

“U-Unnie, stop. What are you doing? At this rate, you’ll-“

 

Chorong felt a soft, wet peck on her forehead. “Sorry.” Sojin breathed with a final smile, and crashed to the floor.

 

“UNNIE!!!!!!”

 

 

The same dream again.

 

Chorong woke up in bed with tears in her eyes. Her screams still echoing loudly in her head as they were so vivid and fresh. It makes her gasp and quiver, staring down at her shivering hands that killed her sister.

 

Clenching it tightly, Sojin’s death continues to haunt her after all these years. No matter how much she wanted this to stop, Chorong considers this as a strong reminder of what she should be doing to repent for her sin. She shouldn’t be lying around right now.

 

She should be going out, finishing the work that was supposed to be done, she should be checking up on the Onyx, monitor their activities and run through a list of who needs to be killed. But she can’t.

 

She made a promise to Eunji. She will stay here and “recuperate”. Even though she doesn’t think that she is sick, but Chorong has vowed to listen to her wife from now on.

 

When she turns to the other side of the bed, it’s empty. Void of Eunji’s presence and warmth. Nothing but cold air. She assumed that the doctor probably got up and left without saying goodbye. It doesn’t make Chorong sad. In fact, she is glad that she has gotten the cold treatment.

 

I deserve it.

 

When Chorong climbed downstairs however, her eyes land on Eunji chatting away with a brunette lady at the entrance. She also spots her sister, Sooyoung standing beside. The two sisters exchange glances but the older one looks away first. She doesn’t want to be reminded that she too, had a big argument with her.

 

“Ah, you must be Chorong! Pleasure to meet you!” The brunette greeted in a cheery tone, something that the woman isn’t used to. B so brightly with enthusiasm and swarming with energy, it feels as if Eunji brought another sun to the house. “I am your psychiatrist. Lee Soon Kyu. But feel free to call me Doctor Sunny.”

 

It only takes a couple of awkward seconds when Chorong doesn’t shake Sunny’s hand and the psychiatrist coolly laughed it off. “I see that you are very cautious around strangers. I have heard everything from your wife. Do not worry, I am Jung Sooyeon’s close friend. I come in peace.”

 

Eunji smiled sadly at Chorong and turned to bow at Sunny. “Please take good care of her, Doctor.”  To be honest, she is still mad about the fact that Chorong had the audacity to smoke last night. And she is still mad that Chorong decided to finish both cans of beer. (she saw the cans in the bin when she woke up). “This is Sooyoung. My wife’s younger sister. She’ll be around to help you and to make sure that my wife doesn’t attack you for god knows what reason.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine Eunji. I have had violent patients before.” Sunny chuckled, not at all offended by the joke. “Now then, please entrust this to me. I believe that you have a new job at Seven Life now?”

 

Chorong widened her eyes and stared at Eunji. The last piece of information that the woman knew about Eunji’s job was that she stepped down from her position at Seven Life in order to cover up her murder case.

 

“Ah, yes. I’m training my successor! She’s a very sweet and kind girl. Think you would love to meet her!” Eunji grinned and it’s a sight that Chorong suddenly doesn’t like. The fact that she’s being all smiley at the mention of another woman…oh, it makes her boil a little inside.

 

But before Chorong could open , Eunji walked out of the door, waving goodbye to Sunny, Sooyoung but not her. Or rather, Eunji doesn’t even spare a glance to wish her goodbye. As the door draws to a shut, Chorong is faced with Sooyoung and her psychiatrist, Sunny who is all smiles.

 

“Now then, shall we begin?”

 

Eunji’s third day at Seven Life begins with paperwork.

 

It’s something that she personally hates but all doctors need to go through this as well. Sitting side by side with Wendy as they scanned through documents, typed in information, organized a schedule and ran through checks, it is a break away from the operating theatre. But Eunji finds Wendy’s meticulous work rather fascinating as she was never someone who was organized. Her old office was the perfect proof; always messy and scattered. Maybe Wendy might really be the one. The one who will strive as a top neurosurgeon after her.

 

“You learn fast.” Eunji mumbled, but Wendy heard that loud and clear. It brought a proud smile to her face. “Thank you for the compliment.” Watching that innocent sparkle in her eyes, it would be a lie if Doctor Jung isn’t worried about what happens when she begins to get a feel of the reality of life—like what she is experiencing now. Feels like a damn truck hitting her back and forth. “Soon enough, I’ll be letting you out on your own. Be prepared and don’t disappoint me.”

 

“Absolutely!”

 

Eunji chuckled, almost wanting to ruffle her hair but she didn’t. Her hands paused, memories coming back as she would always have the habit of her fingers along Chorong’s hair. Clenching it back slowly, a buzz from her phone was the perfect timing for the Doctor Jung to make her escape.

 

Getting up from her seat, it’s one from Sooyoung.

 

 

Did you and Chorong unnie fight or something? I sensed a really strange atmosphere this morning. You didn’t even look at her.

 

Oh Sooyoung, you’ll know when you get married yourself. It’s just… married couple argument things. Nothing to worry about.

 

Uh huh…anyways, Chorong unnie seems to be doing fine. She’s listening well to Doctor Sunny. Actively reading the books as instructed. Changing her diet and lifestyle. Even did those breathing exercises??? I never thought she would be this obedient. Kind of expected her to be a little fussy and reluctant.

 

Well, that’s good to hear. Doctor Sunny is a really good psychiatrist. Keep me updated on her, will you?

 

Yeah. And, tell me when you are meeting that strange journalist. I’ll get the death squad ready once you send me the location.

 

Ok. I haven’t contacted her yet.

 

That journalist.

 

It’s a thought that makes Eunji stop everything that she’s doing. For once, the choice is in her hands. She could either kill her or let her live with the help of the Onyx. But the question now is, will killing her do any good?

 

Turning over to look at Wendy who is working hard, Eunji thinks about how Irene probably has someone that she loves. A family that is waiting for her back home. A dream that she is working hard to achieve. If she were to take her life away, she would be taking someone else’s happiness as well.

 

Knock! Knock! Knock!

 

The sound breaks Eunji’s thoughts apart as she sees Yerin through the glass door. She motioned her hands as a signal for her to come in. “Unnie, you have some visitors waiting for you at the lobby.” She replies with a bright, excited smile. “Visitors?” Eunji arched her eyebrow in suspicion. “Yup. Don’t worry. They won’t kill you.” Yerin laughed it off as she left the room.

 

Eunji sighed. She can’t help but to feel anxious whenever she has some mysterious guests wanting to visit her after that journalist from last night. She is a little worried that her secret might be leaked because if it does, it doesn’t just harm her. It affects the whole Jung family.

 

“Hey, Wendy. Sorry, looks like you’ll have to eat lunch alone today.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine. I made a new friend today! I’ll eat with her then.”

 

“Alright. I’ll be back in maybe an hour or so. Finish those papers once I’m back okay?”

 

“Of course!”

 

Wendy nodded as she watched her mentor leave the office. Returning her attention back to her paperwork, she can’t help but to think about what she had just witnessed earlier. Eunji was behaving strangely and Wendy caught that. She has always been the observant one and she thought it would be a good point to note, when Irene texts her later in the afternoon.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

After closing her file and explaining all of her findings of the Jung family, Irene had hope that her boss, General Choi Siwon would give solid advice of what she should be doing next. As an experienced investigator, she knows that Eunji’s mention of “meeting up to talk” is a red sign that it shouldn’t be a peaceful discussion.

 

If anything, it sounds like a perfect trap.

 

But Irene isn’t afraid of dying. There were many instances where she nearly lost her life in the line of her job. In order to catch criminals and serve justice, she wouldn’t mind having slit apart. Her burning passion is the sole reason why she has climbed up the ranks of the police force and is now one of the top.

 

“You should stop.”

 

Irene stared at Siwon, blinking her eyes twice. “What?”

 

“They know. And they are watching you, Irene. Stop this investigation now and pretend none of this existed.” The man sighed. “I shouldn’t have told you that tip. It was a bad idea.”

 

“But sir, we found a lead! This mysterious marriage has to be somewhat linked to the Onyx. If the Jung family are indeed involved, then we are killing two birds with one stone. I understand that this might be a suicide mission knowing how powerful they are, but someone has to do it.”

 

“Do you even know that they have the power to corrupt the police? They blackmail, threaten, rob and kill thousands of people, Irene! You are talking about an impossible mission where no one is going to listen to you. They will make your families turn your back against you and have your friends become your enemies. This is just how powerful the Onyx are. You should stop this now, Irene.”

 

“…I’m sorry sir.” Irene clenched her fists as she looked down. “No matter how much you want to try and scare me, that doesn’t stop me from doing this. Justice must be served.” Siwon shook his head and crossed his arms. “I knew you would be this persistent, Irene. But I am only doing this to protect you. Forget about the fact that we are the police, this is about you.”

 

“My life is here with the police, sir. Nothing more.” Irene said, leaning forward as her eyes were glinted with hope, courage and bravery. “I’ll call Doctor Jung and arrange an appointment with her. If I don’t come back, then you know for sure that they are hiding something.”

 

The woman stood up from her seat as she ended up not receiving any kind of advice from him. Instead, she was told to step down from this assignment. And it infuriates her how her general is being such a coward. She could really just throw a couple of insults and talk him down, but Irene isn’t a woman like that. She knows how to show respect to her superiors, even though inside, she might secretly hate them.

 

“Wait.” Siwon grabbed her hand. Receiving a glare from the woman, the man let go and sighed. “I won’t stop you. But I can’t let you go alone. I sent you backup.” The woman stared at the man with raised eyebrows. “Backup?” Her eyes followed its way to the knocking door as it slowly opened. Her eyes widened upon a familiar face entering the room, quietly bowing Siwon in greet and later waving at her.

 

“Hi.” She smiled, looking at both Siwon and Irene. “Backup has arrived.”

 

“Seulgi…”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Eunji is all smiles when she sees Bomi and Namjoo at the lobby. She forgets everything about the sad, dark thoughts she had earlier. The only thing on her attention now is her three friends whom she has not seen in a while. They share a brief hug.

 

Knowing that they would be too loud if they stayed at the hospital, the group headed out for lunch at a nearby restaurant. The surprise doesn’t stop when she sees Naeun and Hayoung waiting for her at the table. All of them came together in one place after a very long time.

 

It is a sweet reunion except without the presence of Chorong.

 

But the empty space doesn’t bother them as they chatted excitedly like what friends did, narrating interesting events in their life and jokingly talking about their love life. As she listened to each of them complaining about their partner’s bad habits, or the small arguments they had, Eunji is happy for them. For the two couples; Bomi and Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoung, they all had their sweet endings and are already walking on a path of nothing but flowers.

 

Even though the doctor is genuinely happy but deep down inside, she feels so lonely. Seeing how they smile so brightly, arms locked on each other, eyes taking turns to steal a glance, she wonders about hers.

 

Will she and Chorong ever return to being as lovey-dovey as them?

 

“I…heard the news unnie. No, we heard the news.” Hayoung said carefully, not wanting to shift into a serious topic too quickly. Just a moment ago, they were laughing about Bomi’s rant on her students who had extremely weird habits. And before that, they were seriously deciding between two different garment designs for Namjoo’s new clothing line. As much as they didn’t want to let this happy, peaceful mood die down, this is what they came for.

 

Eunji looked down and quietly replied, “Yeah.” Clasping her hands together, fiddling her fingers away, “I went to Park Joon Hyung myself and requested that she was to halt all of her activities. I was scared that it might eat her slowly,” The doctor tried to string her words carefully. “With the things that happened with Sojin…” She clenched her fists tightly, still remembering the expression Chorong had that day.

 

It was empty. Lost, dark eyes. A soulless look. Nothing but one belonging to a predator whose only purpose was to hunt.

 

“You’re really amazing Eunji. Bravely stepping up to the world’s wanted man. I’m proud to have a friend like you.” Bomi patted her shoulder. “It’s even more amazing that you finally went and see her. It’s been one year. One year.” She emphasized. “You must have been going through a lot.”

 

The doctor sighed at that response and tried to show a smile at her friend, even though it was fake. “We’ll be okay. All we need is time.” It’s a lie. No matter how long time went by, nothing happened.

 

“Yeah, don’t rush it.” Namjoo nodded. “Take it slow and steady.”

 

“Instead.” Eunji suddenly changed the topic. “I need your help, guys.”

 

The doctor explained her situation with the strange journalist and how she was faced with the decision of either using the Onyx to end her life, hoping that the secret will never be revealed or, letting her live and risk the exposure. She can’t let these thoughts bury deep in her head otherwise, it will slowly eat her inside. She needs an opinion. She can’t handle this alone.

 

The four friends hummed in thought, exchanging glances at one another as they all seemed to find difficulty in reaching for an answer. It’s a tough battle between ethics. To risk or to leave it, and to kill or not to kill, even professionals will find it hard.

 

“In the end, the choice is yours, Eunji.” Naeun said, “Whatever consequences that happens along with it, you must bear with full responsibility because either one, will have its own effects.”

 

“But we’ll help you out.” Hayoung stepped in, glancing over at her partner, “Both Naeun and I can keep a lookout on the police. We’ll track their movements and see if they are any closer to tapping into the Jung secrets. One small step and they are…” The woman moved her thumb across her neck, signaling “death”.

 

“We’re not the Onyx but, if you need to rant out your feelings or anything, we will be right here when you need us. You know that we’re always welcome you with open arms, Eunji.” Bomi smiled in which Namjoo nodded in reply. “We can have sleepovers! Cuddle in warm blankets, stargaze at night, watch Netflix and slurp down some hot, heartwarming noodles!”

 

“Oh, but no drinking though. Both of our alcohol tolerance . You do that, and you have to take care of us instead!” Bomi laughed as Hayoung cut in, confidently saying that she can challenge herself to dunking five shots of soju. Namjoo tried to argue and asked if her girlfriend was crazy. Naeun watched the three engage in a heated competition on alcohol and giggled away.

 

Watching her friends interact, it has been awhile since Eunji felt this warmth soothing her wounded heart. Just being in this moment and to know that she has them to back her up. To know that these people genuinely care for her even after all these years of that she’s done…she’s thankful. So thankful to have them.

 

“You guys…are the best.”

 

The four exchanged glances and smiled in return. “I hope that next time, it wouldn’t be just the five of us. But six.” Eunji sighed at that, but nodded reluctantly. “Yeah. I hope so too.” She too, wants to try to be optimistic and that such thought will come true one day. The day when the happy days return.

 

That night, Doctor Jung attends the family dinner that Taekwoon invited her to.

 

She doesn’t bring along Chorong as promised. Well, she didn’t even tell her about it. When she got home, her wife seemed pretty occupied reading the book that Sunny recommended to her. Eunji wants Chorong to focus on her recovery and decided to tell a lie, that she was going out to meet some clients.

 

So, here she was, at the foot of the Jung Mansion.

 

A place that she grew up, a place she both hated and loved, a place where so many childhood memories were made. Walking up to the front garden porch, so many things have changed. The flower beds that once decorated the ground were no longer there. The light ornaments that served as a beacon at night were also gone. It was just a bare, dull porch.

 

She used to love the porch. It was a pity that the gazebo was demolished. It was where so many memories were made.

 

Seated around the gazebo, accompanied with flower gardens and trees, the Jung siblings were once again studying together. Heavy textbooks sprawled on the floor, the tapping of pens on the wooden chairs and scratching heads, studying sessions were a compulsory event every evening.

 

“Oppa, oppa, how do I solve this math equation? No matter how many times I look at it, I don’t seem to get the answer.” Eunji grumbled, growing impatient that it wasn’t going the way she wanted. Soojung laughed at her sister and teasingly muttered, “Stupid.” Ilhoon heard that and backed Eunji up, “No, you stupid”. Yerin snickered and continued, “All of you are stupid”. And that was a call for war.

 

“Stop.”

 

The raise of Sooyeon’s voice was enough to bring the four children back to their seats as they threw annoyed glances at each other. “Father arranged this time to study and we must utilize it fully. Do you want to go back to the punishment room and reflect on your actions for another hour?”

 

“But all we do is study all day, unnie. The moment we return from school, we study. At night after dinner, we study. Even before we sleep, we still study. This is crazy!” Eunji retaliated, frustrated with all the pressure that she’s getting. Sometimes, she wondered if it was better if she wasn’t even born in this irritating family.

 

“Eunji.” Taekwoon sighed, closing his book as he looked at his younger sister.

 

“I understand your frustration and that you may think that we live like robots, only to impress our father. But this is the family pride. Are you going to bring it down? We promised father that we will be impressive, respectable doctors like him.” The boy ruffled Eunji’s hair. “Didn’t you say that your dream was to be the richest person in the world? You can do all of that, once you make Father happy.”

 

Eunji hummed in thought and quickly came to a conclusion. “Alright!” She grinned, crescent moon eyes forming in between. “I’ll study hard, become a really amazing doctor to the point where Father can’t even object me for whatever things I want to do!”

 

It was on a Saturday when Eunji heard that Father was sending her sister, Sooyeon to America. The decision was so sudden that Eunji was furious. It just didn’t make any sense. So, she ran out to the gazebo and stopped Sooyeon. She was there with all of her luggage, waiting for the chauffeur to arrive.

 

“You don’t have to do this, unnie. Please, don’t leave.” Eunji begged, holding her hand tightly. “Father is just throwing you away to another country because of his own business plans. You are just…just becoming his slave…”

 

“Oh, Eunji.” Sooyeon smiled softly at her younger sister who was still so youthful in her age. “How many times have I told you not to resent Father for anything that he does? He has done nothing wrong. His decisions are the reason why our family is still so strong. It keeps the Jung blood running. And you should too.”

 

“But-“

 

“I’ll be fine in America. We can always keep in contact. It’s not like we will never see each other again.”

 

Eunji looked down and sighed. “Fine.” She eventually gave up and let her sister go. As time went on, Soojung too followed Sooyeon to America and the two eventually established the Jung brand name there, making them a more respectable figure in the medical industry.

 

From high school to college, studying in the gazebo gardens were Eunji’s favourite spot. It wasn’t because it was once a place where everyone huddled together and studied. She simply liked the peaceful atmosphere and the beautiful flowers that decorated along. One by one, as her older siblings slowly graduated and entered the working world, the gazebo became emptier.

 

When it was time for Eunji to leave and embark on her own journey, it was hard to bid farewell.

 

 

And now, the gazebo that bore so many memories for the once young Jung, was no longer there. The mansion that was once a home for a family of seven, has shrunk to just a sleeping area for Boseok, her two younger siblings, Yerin, Ilhoon and the servants who were still around.

 

There was no need to be grand and fancy anymore.

 

Served on the long table is a 6-meal set, brought out by the butlers of the Jung Mansion. From salads as appetizers, soups, steaks and sweet cakes, it is a whole feast. As the family chatted happily, Taekwoon doesn’t ask Eunji about Chorong. As a married man, he too seemed to understand a bit about her decision of not bringing the woman in the end.

 

The dinner goes well.

 

Jung Sooyeon is expanding her business in the USA, with various hospitals branching into different states: Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York. Jung Taekwoon on the other hand, brought in good news of their newly operating Busan branch with plans of moving into Daegu. Ilhoon and Yerin alike have been making good progress in the medical field, bonding with their patients and slowly inputting their own ideas for the future.

 

But for Eunji, she will never be able to relate into these conversations.

 

Suddenly, she’s the black sheep of the family now. She doesn’t fit in anywhere because she no longer has a major role. After all these years of studying and working so hard, Jung Eunji will never be able to work in Seven Life ever again. All because of one incident.

 

“Are things with you and Chorong doing okay?”

 

It’s the only question they could ask her now. Anything related to Seven Life was now, none of Eunji’s concern. And it’s not like saying that everything is fine would work. In front of family, the doctor has learned to show her weak side and know that it is okay to feel small.

 

She was no longer the playful doctor who would craft up lies and boast big about her world. So, she placed down her fork and looked up to her family members with a stiff expression. It has gone all cold and hard where her eyes have lost its light, the sun in her smile has disappeared.

 

“No. We’re not okay.”

 

Eunji replied harshly, words that punch directly into their faces. “I’m sorry. I know that whatever that happened between us…I told you that time will fix it. I thought it would. But I guess…it didn’t.”

 

Sooyeon sighed as she looked at her younger sister with worry. “Eunji darling, we can still fix this. Doctor Sunny is the best psychiatrist in the world. She will know how to help Chorong and slowly, everything will be better.”

 

“That’s not the point unnie.” Eunji clenched her fists as she stared down at the half-cut steak on her plate. “It won’t be the same anymore. It’s not just her that has changed. I have changed too.”

 

Boseok and the Jung siblings all exchanged confused glances. While they may not have met in awhile but kept close contact through video calls, they don’t think that Eunji has changed at all. In their eyes, she is still the same Jung Eunji.

 

“I met a journalist a couple days ago.”

 

“Oh, that must be Bae Joo Hyun.” Boseok said, recalling the name. “She came into my office and said something about a project. I was very willing to help her out and already arranged interviews with your siblings. Although she did insist on having one with you too…”

 

“I plan to kill her.” Eunji glared at her father, causing much shock and gasp at the table. Never before did they think to hear the doctor say the word “kill”, making it such an irony when they are people who save lives.

 

“Eunji! How can you say that?!”

 

“This journalist looked up the archives. She found out about my arranged marriage with Chorong. If we let her dig even deeper, our connections with the Onyx will be revealed. I have to kill her before it starts.”

 

“Eunji. I can’t let you do that.” Boseok lowered his tone. “Do not forget how much sacrifice we had to go through when you did that…that humiliation.”

 

 

Any father would hurt to see their daughter to go against their own words. To see them shout and talk back. For Boseok, he was a man with a fragile heart. He endeared all of his children and to Eunji, there was nothing he could do but that.

 

When he found out that Eunji killed a patient in the operation room, covering up the incident was not a problem. But it was the ache in his heart that his daughter committed such an act. Sure, he may use his grand power of Seven Life to conceal and hide the fact that the patient died by “accident” and not as a motive for “murder”, but that would not change what her daughter did.

 

“You are to step down from your position immediately.”

 

Boseok announced, even though that sentence itself was so hard to push out of his throat. He did not want this to happen.

 

“Okay.”

 

Eunji’s response was more than enough to hurt him even more. The fact that his daughter has quickly accepted her fate, and was not fighting back, like how she always would…something in her has changed. She isn’t the daughter that he knew anymore.

 

His dreams of his whole family lineage of doctors, will never come true now.

 

 

“As much as I understand the situation, but you cannot take advantage of The Onyx like before and freely put down enemies as you wish.” Taekwoon advised calmly. “One selfish act can lead to the consequences of many. I hope that you do not forget about what you did in the past.”

 

Eunji chuckled with amusement. “Of course, I did not forget my past actions. Look what has happened to me.” She tapped onto her chest. “I am in a mess. I spent so many nights just thinking about the what ifs. My heart hurts every time I look at my wife. And it frustrates me that I cannot resent the Onyx for what they have made me into.”

 

“Darling, I know that you are going through a tough time. I might not be in the right position to comfort you as I do not know the full story but please know that any sane person will know that it is not right to kill someone simply out of suspicion.” Sooyeon advised, slowly reaching out her hands to Eunji.

 

As if she was facing a battle between an angel and devil, Eunji is conflicted with the opinions circulating around her head. The Jung family says no. The Onyx says yes. And her friends, openly encourage to whatever decisions that she comes to.

 

In the end, Irene’s life is in her hands.

 

After the rather, silent dinner, Eunji quietly left the mansion without saying anything much. She felt sorry for having to let everyone remember about the tough times. She felt bad for having to ruin the supposed happy mood. Maybe she should just leave the whole family itself. She doesn’t know why Boseok hasn’t disowned her yet. Oh right, it’s family love. Family.

 

Just as she is about to enter her Land Rover and drive off in escape, a voice stops her at the foyer.

 

“Noona.”

 

Turning around, it is her younger brother, Ilhoon standing on the steps. “Oh…Ilhoon-ah.”

 

“Adults are all too serious at the table, right?” The boy scrunched up into a cheeky grin. “Don’t tell Dad this, but I think killing isn’t bad either. We’re killing to protect ourselves. I am sure that journalist knows that she’s getting into danger as well…right? Anyways, that’s just what I wanted to tell you. Not everyone is against you, noona.”

 

Eunji smiled softly. “Thanks, Ilhoon-ah. I’ll make the decision myself. You should go back inside and keep working hard, okay? Make the Seven Life hospital proud and don’t end up like me.”

 

“Okay, noona!”

 

Watching her younger brother return back into the mansion, Eunji has made up her mind. Taking out her phone, she texts Irene and asked if she would be available tomorrow. Thinking that she will only get a reply the next morning, the doctor starts her car engine and suddenly there is a buzz.

 

Sure. How about we meet at XXX Café, 3pm?

 

And its set. Eunji replies an “Ok, see you there”, and switches to dial Sooyoung’s number. It picks up after a long ring.

 

“Sorry. Were you asleep?”

 

“No. I was busy killing some guys.”

 

“Right.” Eunji tries not to sound surprised, even though she shouldn’t be. “Anyways, I texted the journalist.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

When Eunji arrives home, it is already past midnight.

 

To her surprise however, the living room lights are still switched on. With the air conditioner blasting away and calm piano music filling the empty space, the doctor is surprised to see Chorong lounging at the couch, still reading the book that Doctor Sunny recommended her.

 

On the table is not alcohol. Not even an ashtray of smelly cigarettes. But actual warm, herbal tea. It’s a sudden change that Eunji can’t adapt herself to. It was just yesterday when her wife was out at the balcony puffing cigarettes and drinking cans of beer to ooze her thoughts away.

 

But at least, she looks better. Healthier. Eunji can begin to see a better colour on her face. At least…she doesn’t look like a piece of walking dead fish ready to be discarded away. Eunji isn’t sure what kind of magic Doctor Sunny did to her wife, but it seems to working very well.

 

“You’re…awake.” The doctor said, being very careful around her wife. “I was waiting for you.” She replied, gaze locked on hers. “…I see. You didn’t have too.” Eunji quickly looked away, letting her eyes land on the blank television instead. Chorong noticed it and gently patted on the couch. “Can we…talk?”

 

“…Yeah. Sure.” Eunji nodded slowly as she quietly moved over to the couch and sat down at the far end. Usually, she would be going up real close. But strangely, just for today she prefers to distance herself.

 

Maybe it is because she is still mad about the fact that she caught her smoking yesterday. Maybe because the feelings of the past were still lingering inside and she just couldn’t let it slip away like that. Either way, the two have yet to properly talk to each other.

 

It has been one year. One year since their big argument. One year since they decided to stop seeing each other. One year since everything.

 

 

 

“After all that I did to you…”

 

Eunji sobbed, hot tears flowing down her tears as she could only feel the bitter taste of betrayal and disappointment so strongly in . She sacrificed everything for her. But in the end, this happened.

 

Chorong now has a bounty on her head.

 

She’s everywhere on the news. Her face shoved in every corner. Her name being spoken in the crowd. She hears people insulting her, cursing her, all hoping that she will get caught and be executed. Eunji hates this. It was her worst nightmare come true.

 

“Did we not talk this out? I told you that this was going to happen sooner or later.”Chorong said calmly, not bothering at the fact that her wife is fuming at her.

 

“You should’ve at least told me!” Eunji yelled. She closed her eyes shut, trying her best to keep the heat simmered inside. “…It’s always like that. You’re always doing things without me knowing. You never tell me. Anything. No matter how many times…”

 

“I did it for Sojin.”Chorong replied quietly.

 

“You don’t have to follow down her path!” Eunji cut in. And it only took one second for Chorong to suddenly yell at her. “I killed her!” Tears were now welling up in hers. “That’s why…that’s why it’s only right that I should follow down this path. There is no other way.”

 

“Just because of one person’s death, you choose to make such a selfish decision?” Eunji’s voice cracked, her words hurt her so much.

 

“That’s not-“

 

“In the end, you only care about yourself.”

 

“Eunji-“

 

“Even when I lost my job for you. Even when I turned my family against you. I bet even if I died for you, you wouldn’t even care.”

 

It was over.

 

The very sentence hit Chorong so hard that she could not fight back. She knew what Eunji did at the operation theatre. She knew that at normal circumstances, Eunji would never kill her own patient. But she did. She stained blood on her hands because of Chorong.

 

“I killed that bastard off just like you wanted. And because of that, my whole family has disowned me. I threw away my whole career because I love you.”

 

“…That’s why we need to stop.”

 

Eunji stared at her wife, eyes still red, rage still fuming inside. “What?”

 

“We need to stop, Eunji. The longer we do this, we are just going to hurt each other more.”

 

The doctor scoffed. She can’t believe that Chorong is saying this right now. Of all things, she’s just going to put this up so that she can keep running away. A coward. A total coward.

 

“Might as well divorce me.”

 

“Stop it.”

 

“You can’t, can you?” Eunji said, staring dead in the eye. “If you can’t even have the courage to divorce me, it’s because you’ve been using me all along. In the end, I’m just your toy.”

 

“Fine.” Chorong sighed. “Maybe you are right.” The sentence hurts right through her chest. She did not mean to say it. She simply said it out of frustration, out of anger. It was not what she sincerely felt. “Let’s stop meeting each other. No, let’s never meet again. I don’t want to see you anymore, Eunji.”

 

A hot tear rolled down the doctor’s cheek. Clenching her fists hard, she would actually throw them right at her right now. But she knows violence won’t bring anything good. In the end, she simply nodded. “Fine.” She sighed.

 

“I don’t want to see you ever again.”

 

 

 

It is late, the air is cold and no one is talking. The clock is ticking and the air conditioner is buzzing away.

 

As much as the both of them wanted to sort this out, they were afraid that it could escalate to an even bigger argument. Whatever that was left off from a year ago, is still there, lying in wait to either be lighted up again to flames or to wither away.

 

But what remained unchanged was that, the two still love each other. It is because of love, that they are hesitant and afraid. It is because of love, that they are worried about hurting their other half. It is because of love, that sacrifices are made…even the painful ones.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Chorong made the first move. With a deep breath, she said it again, “I’m really sorry.” Trying to make eye contact with Eunji, she was doing her best to conquer her biggest fear in which Doctor Sunny referred to as: her wife.

 

 

“You are afraid, Chorong.” Sunny said, gazing carefully into the woman’s eyes. Here they were, in a quiet room with her relaxed on an arm chair as the doctor was by her side. “You don’t want to hurt her anymore that’s why you believed that this was the best method. You chose to inflict pain on yourself as a means of punishment.”

 

Chorong looked at the doctor. She can’t believe how this woman here is that good at reading her minds. She’s so good at tapping into her inner, deeper thoughts that she has never told anyone about.

 

“But do you know, Chorong?” Sunny smiled softly. “Just how much Eunji loves you?”

 

The woman shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She’s embarrassed. It’s like her true feelings seen through a clean sheet of transparent paper. It’s all there and this doctor is reciting it in front of her.

 

“You may try to push her away, but she will come running back to you. And if you keep pushing her further….and further away, you will not only hurt yourself but her.” The woman carefully caressed her cheek. “What you afraid the most in the world is seeing her hurt. You do not desire for anything else. You think that you are the root of the problem. You think that you are the reason why she is getting hurt. That’s why you try to push her away. Am I right?”

 

Chorong blinked at her and nervously gulped with a nod.

 

“Love comes with sacrifice, young one. It takes two hands to clap. No one should ever have to suffer it alone.”

 

 

Five years has passed since she fell in love. A year has passed since their parting. And while the flower has blossomed and withered, it can still bloom again when the right season comes.

 

She can still make it right.

 

“This is my fault.” Chorong said, putting out her words carefully directly from her heart. “It was selfish of me to make such a move when you did everything for me. But instead, I took your love for granted and committed a selfish act. Because of that, I hurt you. I didn’t want to see you get hurt anymore that’s why…I pushed you away with lies.”

 

“Lies.” Eunji sighed. “You’ve lied to me a lot that I’m already immune to that.” She looked down at the floor. “I already know that you didn’t mean it…when you said that you didn’t want to see me anymore.”

 

Chorong gulped, hating how her wife knew exactly what she had planned but still continued to play along.

 

“I’m really tired of this.” The doctor finally confessed. “Can’t we just stop? I don’t want to play this game anymore. I don’t want to see you like this. Can’t we just…go back to where we were before?”

 

Chorong’s eyes welled up at her statement. Honestly, she too wished for that. But it was impossible now that the milk has been spilled. They’ll never be able to live freely now that she has a bounty on her head. They’ll never be able to go out publicly without having to worry that the police are on their track.

 

For the first time, Chorong is just so sick of her own life. Her family. Her vows to the Onyx.

 

“I told you since the very beginning that you didn’t have to do it.” Eunji continued, “Sojin.” She paused, carefully mentioning her name into the conversation and glancing over at her wife, making sure that she wasn’t much triggered by the name. But at this rate, she can’t hide anymore. She has to say everything now.

 

“If Sojin was still alive, she wouldn’t want to see you like this. You do not have to follow her path and bear the same responsibilities. Please Chorong…just come back.” Eunji looked at her wife, tears slowly welling up in her eyes. “Come back to me.”

 

Chorong could feel her heart slowly breaking apart, seeing that expression on her wife’s face. It is full of sincere love, eyes glinting with sadness and plead, almost as if she’s kneeling down and begging. Eunji looks so hurt, so exhausted.

 

Doctor Sunny is right.

 

The longer she keeps this going, she isn’t just going to hurt herself. She’s going to hurt her more. And if she just stops this now, maybe. Just maybe. They could return back to those happy days.

 

Slowly getting up from her seat as she approached Eunji who was now, very close to crying, Chorong pulled her into an embrace. Their heartbeats now syncing with one another, warmth heating up between each other’s skin and the feeling of comfort healing the wounds inside.

 

“Okay.” Chorong said, as Eunji buried her head between, finding ease as she found her scent. “I’ll stop. I’ll stop everything. I don’t want to work in the Onyx anymore.” Fingers brushing through her hair, quiet sobs whispering into her ears, the woman tightened her grip.

 

“Let’s look for our own happy ending.”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

It is deep into the night as the couple made up their differences in bed.

 

From kissing each other softly on the lips, planting hickeys on each other’s necks to curling up against their skins and biting aggressively to ensure that they are marked, both Chorong and Eunji agreed that what mattered now, was the two of them.

 

In order for their love to work, sacrifice was needed. When Eunji lost her job for her, Chorong did not realize the meaning of her actions. But now, she does. And Chorong knows what to do now.

 

She doesn’t want to spend the rest of life working under her family’s regime of criminals. She has had enough of all the brutal killings, all the stress and exhaustion of having to run away from the police. She wants to live her life in peace with only one person: Eunji.

 

Whilst Sojin’s death may haunt her forever, Chorong cannot simply allow herself to be bound to that. Eunji was right since the very beginning. If her sister was still alive now, she would not want her to live like this. Repenting for something that was an accident, living for the sake of that purpose, she wants to make her own decision now.

 

If she was by herself, Chorong may have continued her way as The Onyx’s puppet. But now that she has Eunji. Her wife.

 

She has found her answers.

 

As morning arrived, Eunji doesn’t want to leave. The thought had suddenly come crashing to her head that she was supposed to meet Irene today. And worst of all, she forgot to tell Chorong about Irene. Or rather, the two of them were too busy making love and ing around last night.

 

Well, she doesn’t regret that because now she can leave the house with a lighter heart.

 

“Babe.”

 

“Yes?” Chorong yawned, shifting around the sheets as she locked her body back around Eunji’s, wriggling to find her position and settling her lips on her neck. The doctor pulled Chorong’s arm closer to her stomach and sighed, she feels just so safe in this embrace.

 

“About that night when I bought those beers, I was honestly upset.” Eunji confessed, learning that she had to say everything that was in her heart. Even the little things that make her mad. She knows that in order for their relationship to work again, they had to talk. Talk about every single thing. “And I’m sorry for being cold to you. I was just-“

 

“No. I should be sorry.” Chorong buried her face behind Eunji’s . “I’ll stop smoking. She mumbled. “Although it will be hard, but Doctor Sunny is helping me with that. I’ll promise you that I’ll stop.”

 

Eunji smiled softly, rubbing her fingers around Chorong’s arm. “Okay. Promise me that. Please keep your promises.”

 

Even though there is this uncertainty that creeps her from behind that it could happen again, that Chorong could leave her again, but Eunji wants to trust her one more time.

 

When the doctor suddenly leaves her side, getting up and heading into the bathroom, Chorong does not want this warmth that is moving away from her. “Are you going somewhere? – Oh right…you have a new job now…” The woman sounded sad, seeing Eunji come out to the bedroom with a towel around her neck. “She must be really cute…”

 

Although it was a mumble but Eunji heard it loud and clear even when she was in the bathroom. A chuckle left as she peeked her head out to the door, “Are you jealous?”

 

“No…”

 

Chorong turned away and that was enough to leave the doctor laughing. Approaching her wife who buried herself with the blanket, Eunji pulled it over and grinned. “I’ll have you know that she is way too young for my type. Plus, I prefer fierce, strong women who can be really y at times.” Eunji whispered with a teasing smirk, ghosting a kiss over Chorong’s lips and pulling away before Chorong can even get a taste of it.

 

“Hey-“

 

“Doctor Sunny will be arriving in about an hour so best you get up too, sleepyhead. I’ll be done in five minutes.” Eunji ruffled Chorong’s hair and chuckled, seeing the look of annoyance on her wife’s face.

 

That is a sight that she missed to see.

 

A sight that reminds her that she really is in love with this woman.

 

When Eunji leaves for work, her feet halts at the entrance as she isn’t sure whether to tell Chorong about her meeting Irene or not. It’s funny how they made up last night, talking about no longer hiding things from each other as it will end up hurting themselves. But the doctor says in her mind that this will be last time that she will break that rule.

 

The last time she’ll keep it a secret.

 

Eunji is confident that her meeting with Irene will be a quick one. It shouldn’t be too dangerous.

 

So, Eunji bids goodbye to Chorong for the first time in one year. It has been so long since she actually made the effort to kiss her farewell and tell her that she will be back home later today.

 

“Listen to Doctor Sunny okay? Just because you made a really big decision last night, doesn’t mean that you can suddenly stop your therapy.” Eunji nagged in which Chorong chuckled and nodded in reply. To be honest, she did miss hearing her wife’s nagging. It’s the qualities of having a doctor as a wife.

 

As Eunji turned her heel around, slowly leaving Chorong’s side, the woman suddenly tugged onto her hand. “Wait.” She said and slowly hugged her from behind. Chorong doesn’t know why but there is something beating in her heart that is making her uncomfortable. It’s like she doesn’t want her wife to leave.

 

“You are so clingy, aren’t you?” Eunji smiled, holding Chorong’s hands that were wrapped warmly around her chest and she took a deep breath. She doesn’t say anything else as they stood there for a short moment, stuck in an embrace that the both of them don’t want to leave.

 

“I’ll be back. Don’t worry.” She turned around and looked deeply into her eyes. “I love you.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

 

When Eunji arrives at the café, exactly 3pm as promised, she doesn’t see her. Looking through the tables, the woman isn’t there. Eunji doesn’t like this ominous feeling. Although the doctor doesn’t believe in sixth sense but strangely today, she might just rely on that.

 

It is only when the café bell dings, signaling the arrival of a customer that she feels a clutch on her shoulder. Instinctively, Eunji would move away and perhaps, go defensive. But when she turned around, she sees a black-haired woman.

 

“Hi.” She greeted in a rather, warm, friendly tone while she shoved a police i-card directly in front of her eyes. It shows a photograph of the lady herself and her name, “Kang Seulgi,”.

 

.

 

“Please. Come with me.” She smiled to which Eunji bowed nervously, following Seulgi behind the counters of the café, through the kitchen and later a store room. It is only when the door opened that Eunji completely regretted her decision.

 

She was too kind. In the end, she should’ve just killed her.

 

“Hello, Jung Eunji. Glad to see that you made it.”

 

Irene greeted her. Dressed in her police uniform, it was far too obvious now. She tore off her disguise immediately and went straight to catch her prey. Sitting calmly at the table, she motioned her hands and ordered Eunji to sit down.

 

“Sit down.” Seulgi ordered, noticing that the doctor was still standing there, just staring blankly at Irene. Tensed, Eunji sat down and gulped. She isn’t exactly paying attention to whatever Irene is doing right now because she’s figuring out how to get the hell out of there. If anything, she should’ve just called Sooyoung to stay behind as backup.

 

“Jung Eunji.”

 

“I kind of knew that you were something else. There was no way a journalist would be interested in Seven Life.” Eunji scoffed, trying to maintain her composure even though she was most definitely freaking out. “So? Are you going to arrest me? Put me in jail?”

 

“You make it sound like you committed a crime, Doctor Jung.”

 

Crap. This woman is good. Eunji faltered her eyes and clicked her tongue. At this rate, she’s this close to spilling the secrets now. No. There is a way.

 

A way to save her family.

 

“I did.” Eunji said, looking up at Irene with not a single fear. “I killed a patient.” She confessed as both Irene and Seulgi widened their eyes in surprise.

 

“In order to keep the murder in secret, my father covered it up with a fake marriage. But eventually, it didn’t work out so I decided to stop working at Seven Life completely to clear the suspicions. My father didn’t do anything wrong. He did it to protect me. The person you should be arresting is me. Don’t pull my family into this.”

 

The doctor crafted up a perfect lie, trying her best to distort the information and push the police officers away from attempting to dig further into the Seven Life-Onyx connections. In order to protect her family, her love, everything that she has, she had to become the sacrifice.

 

And it looks like it worked.

 

The grip on her body tensed as Seulgi cuffed her hands, locking it tight on Eunji’s wrists. Irene crossed her arms and stared at the doctor, more surprised that she received a completely different information. But either way, justice must be served.

 

“Jung Eunji. You are under arrest for murder.”

 

 

 

 

--

 


 

A/N: Love comes with sacrifice. And with sacrifice, comes with pain. Even though Eunrong had somehow made up, Eunji really had to go against their promise just hours after that. Great job, Doc. But was Eunji's choice the best one? Or would it have been better if she just called up Sooyoung and her death squad to end both Irene and Seulgi? How different would that have been? Thank you for waiting patiently for the update and reading! Looking forward to see your thoughts on how this will end up. See you soon :)

 

P.S The next chapter will be the last T_T followed by an epilogue. The final arc is slated to be only four chapters long.