no longer

My Wife is A Gangster

 

“What?! Doctor Jung is on emergency leave?”

 

Wendy gasped with widened, bulging eyes as she stared at the receptionist who replied her calmly. “For personal reasons. It is stated here in the chief’s email. In the meantime, Doctor Sim Soyoung will take over your apprenticeship for today. Please head over to her office on the fifth floor, room 615.”

 

She thought her first day at Seven Life would work out perfectly with her role model around. But guess life comes in pretty unexpectedly and Wendy tries to be optimistic with that.

 

Thanking the receptionist and getting ready to head into the lift, her phone buzzes. Picking it up, she chimed through, “Hi Joohyun! Oh, I’m actually about to start work soon though. Wait, you are here already? Hold on…” Scanning her eyes around as she walked over to the lobby area, the woman notices her friend waving over and the two briefly share a reunion hug. It has been a long time since they have last seen each other face-to-face.

 

“Wow! Hi! I see that you haven’t changed much after joining the police force!”

 

“You too, Seungwan. Oh, I mean, Wendy.”

 

The two friends laughed off and started a small chat, although Wendy doesn’t want to be late. But she has always been the kinder one. Because of her soft personality, she gets taken advantage of easily.

 

“So yeah…I am in quite a pitch here.”

 

Irene said, after explaining her whole situation of how her cases could be closely connected to Seven Life and that in the next coming weeks, she would be working undercover as a journalist coming to report on the hospital. “Could you help me out and update me any strange findings during your apprenticeship? Oh and, let’s pretend we don’t know each other once I’m on the job. Thanks.”

 

“Sure, no problem Joohyun! You can definitely count on a friend like me!” Wendy smiled confidently but slowly whispered into her ear, “But it really is shocking to know that my dream workplace has something sketchy going on. Really…shocking.”

 

“Hope it doesn’t distort your actual goal of becoming the top neurosurgeon, Wendy. Remember that these problems do not stem from people, but from the ones in power. Alright, I think you might have to go now. I don’t want you to be late because of me.”

 

“Okay then! I’ll see you around, Irene!” Wendy waved goodbye, entering the lift as the doors closed behind.

 

Making her way out of the hospital, Irene carefully scanned the surroundings of Seven Life. In the eyes of an experienced investigator, public places like these all look normal from the outside. They all exhibit the same elements that portray a common society, which makes it very difficult to inspect the abnormalities within.

 

Going undercover is going to be a break away from the fast-moving aspect of her job, but it will be tougher to keep up the act. Irene isn’t sure how her next three months of going undercover in Seven Life would be like.

 

Far from Seven Life, is a high-rise office building amongst the rest of the concrete jungle. Perfectly camouflaging itself within the bustling streets of Gangnam, no one would bat an eye that it is one of the several mushrooming headquarters of the criminal organization, Onyx.

 

And while it is still easy in the late hours of morning, Doctor Jung is here. Striding forward with angry steps, she doesn’t take a glance at the guards who paved the way for her. Heading up to the highest floor and not even giving it a knock, she busted through the door.

 

“Father. I have an urgent request.”

 

Now, it has suddenly hit her that she isn’t dealing with some random person in power. She forgot the intimidating aura that Park Joon Hyung always had around him. And it’s coming back slowly now that she’s standing fearlessly in front of his desk.

 

“Let’s hear it, Eunji.” Motioning his hands forward, signaling Eunji to sit down as he observed the woman’s facial expressions, he is intrigued.

 

The world’s most wanted man has always had a fond liking for the Jung doctor. The way how she is very upfront with her emotions, logical thinking and knowing what she truly wants in her heart, she has the kind of personality that Park Joon Hyung looks for in a fighter.

 

But it is unfortunate that she is not a fighter, but a doctor.

 

“Father.” Eunji said carefully, organizing her angry thoughts together and trying to pull off professionally. “I want you to put Chorong off duty for the next three months. That means, no missions, no work, nothing. I want my wife to have a full vacation.”

 

“And why should I remove her from such an important position when she is making so much good for our organization?” Joon Hyung asked, still remembering Eunji’s dissatisfaction when she heard of his daughter’s first bounty count. “She is the reason why we are performing so well these days. Why the Onyx is becoming more feared among the public and why those government dogs are too scared to make a move on us. If she stops now, this momentum will stop.”

 

“I understand where you are coming from.”

 

Eunji said, despite having the urge to literally shout at him because he clearly does not care about Chorong’s mental state. Even when Sojin died, he did not shed a single tear and simply called her death an “unfortunate but necessary sacrifice”. The doctor is trying very hard to understand that people like Joon Hyung think differently and that there are certain things that he will never come to understand.

 

To make things go her way, Eunji has to negotiate well.

 

“Currently, my wife’s condition has been deteriorating. What I am stating is from the perspective of her mental health. Yes, you may argue that she has never shown any signs. But mental health is hard to discover and usually, only those who have a very close, intimate connection will know. For example, me.” Eunji placed her hand on her chest. “Her wife.”

 

The doctor continued, noticing that the man is paying close attention to her words. “I believe that in those three months without my wife’s presence. will allow more room and opportunities for the rest to climb up the ladder. Sooyoung, Chanyeol, Bogum, they too, have great potential. I will assure you that once my wife is back in proper shape, she will be much stronger than ever.”

 

Park Joon Hyung leaned back onto his chair, crossed his arms with a long hum. He finds it impressive how a mere doctor is out here, fearlessly attempting to negotiate and interrupt his plans in such a calm, logical manner. There is a reason why the man specifically chose Eunji to marry Chorong.

 

“Three months.” The man lowered his voice. “I have listened well to your words, Eunji. And I shall agree to your suggestion but according to my own terms and conditions.”

 

“Yes, absolutely Father.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

When Eunji pulls up the Land Rover at the apartment home, she doesn’t get out. Instead, she’s just staring at how high the building is, how heavily guarded and how funny it is that she vowed to never come here. Yet, here she is with plans of moving in.

 

It might take weeks or months to adjust herself in this new lifestyle, especially when she has tried to ignore and reject it for the past year. Everything has changed since her wife gained the attention of the world. Seeing her face on the news, wanted posters plastered on the walls, her very name becoming a topic of conversation among her people, it is a pain that will never go away.

 

In the end, she forced herself because of love. She opened back the doors because of her.

 

“Madam Jung, are you getting out?”

 

One of the guards asked as he was holding onto the door for quite some time. The doctor stared at him, slightly dumbfounded and speechless that she was addressed that way. “Please. Just call me Doctor.” Eunji got out, meeting ten other guards who surrounded her car. All of them bowed and were at her command.

 

As a wife of a now, wanted criminal, that also meant that she too, required protection. Now, Eunji isn’t used to being treated as some kind of royalty. Although she was raised with servants back in the Jung household, but not to such an extent. It’s all because she married a gangster that is now a highly wanted criminal in her country.

 

Taking the lift up as she’s squeezed in between her own entourage of guards and finally taking a breath once the door opened, Eunji has arrived to her new home.

 

Walking into the spacious living room as her eyes looked for Chorong, a thought passed thorugh her head. She couldn’t have possibly run away, right? Anxiety began to beat in her heart as her steps quickened up the stairs, worried if her wife is still in the bedroom.

 

But all of those worries dissipated when Eunji opened the door to see Chorong still sleeping soundly under the blanket. It’s a sight that makes her heart drop, yet throb with warmth. Seeing Chorong like that, both hurts yet makes her relieved.

 

Even after one year, Eunji is still amazed that her heart remains unchanged; that she will still love her no matter what.

 

 

 

“I miss you.”

 

Eunji said, staring at her wife who remained still like a statue. She knew that she had to make the first move. A doctor knows when someone has become so emotionally broken that they can no longer respond properly as human beings. She has seen through so many of that same exact look. And that same look is there, on Chorong’s face.

 

“You…You shouldn’t be here.” Chorong stuttered, taking careful steps backwards and into her cold, dark room. “You should leave.” She said, clenching her fists tightly even though she doesn’t want to say that.

 

What Chorong really wants to say is that she misses her too, and that all she wants right now is to hug her tight, kiss her warmly, and cry in her chest. But she doesn’t deserve it. Not after everything she has done.

 

“Yeah. I should leave.” Eunji looked down, still remembering the heated argument they had. “But you lied to me. You told me that if I gave you space, that if we stopped meeting each other for a while, everything will be alright. I trusted you, Chorong. Yet, in the end…”

 

“It’s all my fault. I know.”

 

That was not the answer Eunji was expecting.

 

Looking at how her once, fierce, strong and confident wife was now so vulnerable…this isn’t her. She’s so broken, so flimsy. Even though her answer makes her angry, it makes her sad and frustrated. But Eunji tries not to put those bitter emotions in.

 

“You don’t have to do this by yourself.” Knowing that mentioning Sojin’s name would be sensitive at this moment, the doctor tries a different approach in poking her fragile heart, “There’s a reason why you are married, Chorong. There’s a reason why you have a wife. There is a reason why you have me.”

 

A tear rolled down Chorong’s cheek at her words. Just hearing those words echoing clearly into her ears, it’s making her see the light once more. The light in the midst of all this darkness in her head.

 

“It’s okay.” Eunji slowly approached her, now an arm’s distance away. “Come here… Chorong.” She said softly, spreading her arms out wide and a smile. A smile that Chorong has missed so, so much. A smile that makes her remember of what home and warmth was.

 

And that was the tipping point.

 

Chorong finally gave in and fell deep into Eunji’s chest, burrowing her head in as all of her tears poured out. She cried and cried.

 

And so, here she was, brushing her fingers across Chorong’s hair as she was tucked between her arms. Under the warm blankets in the dark, cold bedroom, Eunji was with her for the whole night. Until she stopped crying, until she finally went to sleep, Eunji never left the place.

 

 

“Hey, sleeping beauty. Wake up.”

 

Eunji cooed, gently kissing her forehead as Chorong shifted around and groaned. The doctor can’t help but to notice how swollen her eyes are. She really has been crying the whole night. When she sees the panic in Chorong’s eyes, Eunji immediately sat down and held onto her hands.

 

“Hey, hey. It’s me. Me. There’s no one else here but me.” Eunji looked on with worry, knowing that Chorong’s mental state really isn’t the best. The amount of stress that has been piling in her chest, the guilt of Sojin’s death, the burden that carried on with her as a result, it is a lot to take in, especially with a bounty on her head.

 

“I’m sorry. I... I just don’t feel like myself these days…especially when you came back.”

 

Chorong choked, looking away as she thinks that she doesn’t deserve to be treated so nicely like that. The guilt of yelling at Eunji’s face that day still remained very clear in her head. But it’s not like she can push her away, when she knows just how stubborn Eunji is.

 

She thought she would be fine. When Chanyeol yelled at her yesterday, she was going to just brush it off. But when Eunji…her very wife stood there in flesh…it was over. Everything inside her crashed down.

 

“Let’s talk about this later. Right now, I need you to rest, okay?” Eunji said slowly, looking deeply into her eyes. “I already told Father to put you off duty. I know you are going to be mad but this is the best for you. I- “Eunji is cut off when she suddenly finds herself in Chorong’s lips. And suddenly, deep inside . Tongue dangerously lingering about, everything comes to her by natural instinct.

 

The doctor gently pushes Chorong against the bed board and gets a little more comfortable. Straddling on her lap, hands rubbing up and down her back, kissing as if it was the end of the world, it would be a lie if that one year was nothing.  

 

One year apart, meant a lot. And it seemed those kisses were to make up for the time lost.

 

An hour later, the couple were now cuddled up in bed. Just enjoying each other’s company in total silence. No conversation. No other distractions. Just warmth.

 

“I am going to do this my way now.” Eunji finally cut in, thinking that it was the right time to talk. “And you are going to listen to me.” She ordered. “I am going to get you a therapist. My sister knows some of the best psychiatrists.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Chorong doesn’t protest. Instead, she’s just going to say yes to everything Eunji says now. She’s suddenly turned into a baby who only has nothing but Eunji to lead her on.

 

“I won’t be around all the time. But I want you to promise me that even when I am gone, you are not going to be doing anything related to work. You will not be ordering any of your men, you will not be stepping out of this place to kill someone, none of that. Okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I just want you to focus on becoming better. The way you are right now…I can’t let you live like this anymore.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Eunji smiled softly, hoping that this time, she won’t break that promise.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Sorry, I’m late!”

 

The woman chimed in, never forgetting to leave a nice peck on her cheek before settling into her seat. “Some journalist said she wanted to interview me about my past work experience in Seven Life. It was really random and she asked these weird questions.”

 

“Please tell me you didn’t say anything stupid.”

 

“Hey, of course not! I may not work there anymore but that doesn’t mean I won’t protect Seven Life’s dignity and my best friend! Ah…now that I’m mentioning that, it’s been a while since I spoke to Eunji. I hope she is okay…” She frowned, staring down at the empty plate as she knows that she is guilty for always giving the excuse of being “busy” whenever Eunji wanted to hang out with her.

 

“She’ll be okay.” Naeun said, gently rubbing her hands between Bomi’s fingers as she flipped through the menu. “Let’s decide what to eat.”

 

Sojin’s passing resulted in major changes under the command of Joon Hyung. Naeun was transferred out and was now stationed at the Russian base. Managing the operations there, she comes back to Seoul every month at most to meet up with her girlfriend who is always patient and understanding about her situation.

 

“…And then there’s this really annoying kid in my lecture hall who is always trying to act smart! Who does he think he is?! Saying that the slides are wrong? That there is a spelling error?!” Bomi ranted on, angrily shoving a spoon of cake into as Naeun giggled, listening to her ramble on.

 

The nurse is now a lecturer at one of the top ranked medical universities in Seoul. Wanting a change of scenery, education seemed like the right path. And so, when she was approached with that opportunity, everyone supported her move including her bestie, Doctor Jung.

 

“…But I still think learning Russian is much more difficult than English. It’s a good thing that most of my clients understand what I am trying to say.” Naeun said, sighing as she is still feeling the stress of having to communicate in a different language other than Korean. She really underestimated the flaws of working in a foreign country.

 

“It’s okay. If they don’t understand you, sign language always works! Even better, if you have wi-fi, you can use Google Translate!” Bomi replied with lots of optimism b in her eyes. Like an excited, bright puppy wagging its tail excitedly, it was enough to make Naeun smiling widely as she thanked her.

 

Usually, five years for a couple may result in halves no longer having much interest in one another, or having a cold period. Sure, there were moments where the two fought and argued. But even now, they are still very much in love. Their fire still burning stronger than ever.

 

“Oh, we should pay a visit to Eunji before you leave for Russia again!” Bomi suggested as she handed a credit card over at the counter to pay for the bill. Naeun nodded in agreement, “We should.”

 

Along the bustling streets of Hongdae where all the youths hang about, there is a quaint clothing store tucked in between other stores ranging from tech goods to ice cream vendors. Displayed outside are racks of handmade dresses and shirts, all priced at an affordable range. Inside, the owner is humming to a song while sewing a thread onto her new design.

 

She’s happy to be doing what she loves, and even happier that she’s making good money out of it. When the bell rings, signaling a customer has arrived, Namjoo looks up and smiles, “Welcome!” only to smile even wider to see who it was.

 

Pulling her into a warm hug, it’s always a relief to meet her girlfriend in one piece.

 

“You really like doing these surprise visits huh?”

 

“Of course. I love seeing that same expression on your face. It’s cute.” Hayoung grinned, scrunching her nose upwards in happiness. Just being alone with her girlfriend is always the best way to forget everything that she’s done in the past hour: slaughtering police men while on duty.

 

“Sweet talking me with your words again? Know that it won’t work the second time!” Namjoo scoffed and headed over to turn the open sign around to close. “Wait for a bit while I finish up some things.”

 

“It’s still early though?”

 

Namjoo winked. “I’m the boss here. I can open and close my shop anytime I want.”

 

Leaving her nursing job at Seven Life may probably be one of the best decisions Namjoo ever made. Sure, she loved the job but her true passion was in fashion design. And when opportunities came passing by, she couldn’t just let it go. Just like Bomi, Namjoo too has begun to build her own path.

 

“It’s really strange. Today, some lady came in, saying that she’s a journalist and wanted to interview me. Apparently, she’s doing a story on Seven Life.” Namjoo hummed, sipping her iced latte as the couple were now dining at a nearby café.

 

“You sure she wasn’t an undercover agent?”

 

Hayoung asked in worry. She’s been on the edge, especially when she was transferred into a different team by Joon Hyung’s orders. Unlike Naeun who had it easy in Russia, the woman was sent to a unit tasked to kill. Every single day, blood will be stained on her hands. And because of her work nature, she’s more aware of her surroundings and the people that she meets.

 

“Nah. She’s a kind lady! Soft-spoken, really respectful too. And she bought one of my dresses!”

 

“You did not reveal anything about-ouch! What was that for?!”

 

“Did you really think I’m dumb? Even though I don’t work there anymore, doesn’t mean I can blatantly tell the secret to everyone. Of course, she doesn’t know Seven Life’s connection with the Onyx!”

 

Hayoung sighed in relief, placing her hand on her chest. It would be big trouble if any of that were to leaked out. At most, she might have to go and hunt that journalist down. Surely, the lady’s already tired of having to cut another life down.

 

“Hey…” Namjoo quietly leaned over, expression a little more serious than before, “How is…Chorong unnie doing?” Hayoung stopped swirling the straw in her drink. She leaned back against the chair and shook her head. “I haven’t spoken to her in months. All I know is whatever I heard from the others.”

 

“And that is…?”

 

“She’s ing scary.” Hayoung scoffed as if it’s nothing new. But the woman frowned. “She’s been working way too hard. Heard she almost collapsed one time out of exhaustion.”

 

“What the ?”

 

“Yeah…same babe.” Hayoung nodded and crossed her arms in frustration. “Everyone knows that it’s because she feels guilty over what happened with Sojin. But no one is blaming her. Really. It was an accident. Yet…she’s…”

 

“And what about Eunji? Is Eunji still…”

 

Hayoung nodded quietly and that was enough to make Namjoo surrender. It’s not like it was their responsibility to fix it. Whatever happened between those two, they hoped that it was the right solution.

 

“Doctor Jung is too pure. She really went and listened to Chorong, believing that not seeing each other for what- one whole damn year would heal everything?! That’s not how it works!”’

 

“Babe, calm down. Reminder, we are in a restaurant.” Hayoung lowered her tone, hands already reaching out for Namjoo’s restless arm as she carefully looked around. Luckily, no one seemed to care about their conversation.

 

“This is so frustrating. Do you think…no, we should visit Eunji soon. Like the both of us.”

 

“Naeun’s in town. Let’s call those two up as well.”

 

“Great idea.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Sitting in the office as everyone else has gone home, someone knocked on the door. Peeking her head quietly in, there’s this look of worry written all over and Irene can’t help but to smile softly as a means to tell her that she’s okay.

 

“Don’t overwork yourself.” Seulgi placed a can of coffee on her desk. “I’m not sure what secret task our General assigned you too, but I can help out if you want!”

 

“It’s okay. You should focus on investigating the rest of the murder cases. I feel bad for Yongsun having to take over all my dirty work.” Irene sighed, putting back a file back into the shelves.

 

She completed two rounds of interviews today. Disguising herself as a journalist looking to write on a story about Seven Life, she managed to search up former employees that worked there. But unfortunately, she didn’t really get much. Just boring information that isn’t worth connecting to the murder cases or the Onyx.

 

Maybe she should start reaching out to the Jung family instead. It would be tricky but sometimes, you have to attack your predator by going full on rather than doing stealth work.

 

“I just hope the murder cases stop. But then, that’s like asking the sun not to shine right? It’s an endless cycle. Crimes happen everyday and it’s our duty to catch the bad guys.” Seulgi sighed, eyes scanning at the scattered mess of papers on Irene’s desk.

 

“But sometimes, the good guys help the bad guys too.” Irene mumbled but Seulgi heard it loud and clear, causing the woman to stare at her dumbfounded. “Officer…I mean, Irene-ssi, that’s…a controversial statement.”

 

Irene chuckled to herself, opening the can of coffee and sipping it. “It is. But that’s the reality Seulgi. I know that you joined us recently but you will begin to learn that sometimes, catching the bad guys isn’t as easy as you think.”

 

It’s something that leaves Seulgi thinking about for the rest of the day.

 

The morning after, Irene powers through Seven Life hospital once again and uses the help of the police force to craft a believable, legitimate disguise that she is a journalist. Passing through the counters and up in the lifts, the staff easily led her into the doors of the chief’s office, Jung Boseok.

 

And to her surprise, the man is pretty naïve.

 

“Of course! You can definitely interview the doctors here. No, even better, I’ll arrange it for you with my children! You have my son, Taekwoon. He’s the chief of the trauma department, lots of experience. Then, there’s my other son, Ilhoon and my youngest, Yerin!”

 

Irene did her research and noticed that he did not mention anything about the famed neurosurgeon. Although at first, she didn’t really pay much attention when the news came out, but now, it’s a mystery to her. The fact that such an elite doctor was exiled from her own family hospital…is definitely a starting point.

 

“What about Doctor Eunji, sir? Is it okay if I could interview her too?”

 

“Oh…”

 

Irene took note of the sudden changes in his facial expression. The way his eyes shifted to another direction and a fall in his tone, yep, the investigator knows what to do.

 

“I’ll…have to check up on her. She’s been busy lately…”

 

“Is it okay if I could ask you about why she left Seven Life?” Irene asked carefully, wondering if she would be able to get something at least. “It is completely fine if you do not feel comfortable talking about it.”

 

“Ah, well, you see…sometimes, things don’t go as plan.” Boseok clasped his hands together as he sighed, thinking about the past. Of course, he was disappointed that it had to go that way. “When you fall in love with someone, you too, don’t realize that you’ve changed.”

 

Irene furrowed her eyebrows. “If I am not mistaken, according to the records that I’ve found, your daughter is married to a Han?”

 

“Y-yes, that’s right.” Boseok stuttered, almost forgetting that the Onyx crafted out a complete fabrication over their wedding as a means to protect their identities. He needs to stop the conversation here, before this strange journalist starts to press him further.

 

“Anyways, I truly do appreciate your time here, Miss Bae. I will contact you once I have arranged the interview times with the doctors. Please be patient alright?” The man stood from his seat and smoothly opened the door, hoping that this woman doesn’t open anymore. But alas, she does.

 

“It would be absolutely wonderful if I could get an interview with Doctor Eunji, sir. I believe she would be a much more interesting subject to the story.”

 

“I-I’ll have to see about that. I have other clients waiting so please…” Boseok cleared his throat and Irene gave into that signal, eventually leaving his office. The investigator doesn’t press any further as she already knows where to go.

 

Driving to the local archives, Irene begins to search for records of the Han family. She wants to find anything related to them. When she does, the woman contacts the number and everything seems to fall into place now.

 

No one from the Han family is married into the Jungs. There are no paper records of any sort of marriage between such two families. And even more so, the Han family only had three sons under their lineage. Not a single daughter.

 

“This can’t be real…” Irene gasped, a thought suddenly passing through her head as she quickly dialed Choi Siwon’s number. “Sir, I think we need to talk.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Aunt Eunji!!!!”

 

A young boy shouted as he ran quickly towards Eunji. With no time to react, the doctor had to drop her bags and catch him. “Oh my! Subin, you’ve gotten really heavy!” She groaned but laughed, now carrying the child as her eyes met Taekwoon.

 

“Subin, how many times did I tell you not to do that?” The man frowned with a scowl on his face. The boy pouted, “Sorry father. I just really, really missed Aunt Eunji.”

 

“Awww, did you now?” Eunji hummed, his hair as she put Subin down. She turned to Taekwoon, “Your wife is busy again huh? Must be hard having to bring him while you are working.”

 

“I’ll take that as a challenge.” Taekwoon scoffed, bending down to carry Subin back into his arms. “Anyways, I heard that you’re back, not as a surgeon but as a teacher. Since Sooyeon noona and Soojung are coming over for the weekend, you should attend the dinner to celebrate your return.”

 

“Dinner huh? It’s been awhile since we were all at a table together.” Eunji sighed, knowing that it would be great if she did, but right now, her mind has been really occupied with Chorong. But she believed it would be a good opportunity for her wife to settle back into the humanity side of life. “I’ll check you back on that. I might bring her along.”

 

Taekwoon’s eyes widened upon that mention. “Did you two finally…” Eunji nodded in reply as the brother playfully nudged her. “Took you long enough.”

 

Heading up to the operation theatre, Eunji meets Wendy again and apologizes for not attending the first day. But already, the doctor could tell that the lady has a very kind, soft heart. She’s so pure, so naïve…it does make her worry about how she will handle the rest of the job with so many hurdles waiting to be crossed.

 

“Let’s begin.”

 

The doctor announced, ready to operate on a patient with Wendy by her side. It goes on pretty smoothly with Eunji ordering the woman around and letting her feel through the process of an operation from the beginning till the very end. It takes them four hours: the usual operation timing and suddenly, its already evening.

 

Eunji plans on going straight home to where Chorong is. It makes her anxious, wondering what her wife could have been doing in those hours. Long hours all alone in that penthouse, locked up and in a poor mental state, god knows what she might do.

 

Just as she quickly signs off the patient card, the doctor notices someone waiting for her.

 

“Irene? What are you doing here?” Wendy chimed in, happy to see her friend but notices that she’s looking at Eunji instead.

 

“Pleasure to meet you, Doctor Jung. My name is Bae Joohyun. But please call me Irene.” The investigator said, extending her hand out in which Eunji shook it out of politeness. But she is cautious around her. She doesn’t like this aura that she’s giving.

 

“She’s my high school friend, unnie.” Wendy smiled, exchanging glances between the two as Irene whispered to her ear, “I need to talk to her in private.” The woman nodded and quietly went off, leaving the two alone.

 

“What do you need, Irene?” The doctor replied, keeping a slight distance away as she analyzed the build of this lady. She has seen enough of the Onyx family to tell that Irene knows how to fight.

 

“I’m a journalist and I’m writing a story about Seven Life. I was just doing some research about you and found something interesting. I thought it would be better to get direct confirmation from the person themselves.”

 

“Which is…?” Eunji eyed on the woman carefully, finding it suspicious as to why this journalist has such a keen interest in Seven Life, when there hasn’t been anything eventful happening lately.

 

“You aren’t married to anyone from the Han family.”

 

That statement just hit her like a truck. . Trying hard to school her surprised expression, the journalist doesn’t waste any time to press forward her question.

 

“Who are you exactly married to, Doctor Jung?”

 

“…”

 

“Are you hiding something from this world? Or did I make a mistake while I was doing my research? Is it okay if I could knock onto the doors of the Han family and ask them myself?”

 

The investigator continues to press her questions forward, taking the doctor’s silence as the cue. It is not because she is impatient but because she knows the pressure will eventually lead her to the truth.

 

But Irene isn’t aware that Jung Eunji isn’t just some ordinary doctor. She has no idea that she is married to a member of the Onyx and has faced many situations like these where she was cornered to slip in such a dark secret. And the doctor knows exactly how to drive onto roads like these. It’s simple but…dark.

 

“You have a lot of questions for someone you just met.” Eunji shook her head with a speechless chuckle. Carefully eyeing at the woman who was unfazed at her statement, she sighed. “How about we arrange this for another time? At a better location where we can take as long as we want, yeah?”

 

A quiet afternoon at a café as two people exchange information would be a much better location than talking it out at a hospital swarming between the boundaries of life and death. But that isn’t the case. Doctor Jung plans on leading the investigator into a trap that may result in death depending on how persistent she plans on digging the secrets.

 

It scares Eunji that such a dark thought crosses her mind. But she is no longer surprised after marrying into the Park family. After all, the doctor herself has already stained her hands with blood once. And she wouldn’t mind doing it again.

 

 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

Eunji continued to glance over the heart meter that sounded with a steady momentum. As her hands hovered above her patient’s open head, she’s faced with two choices. She can either save this person’s life or end it. Of course, the most ethical way would be the first one. But with these bitter feelings inside her heart, the second choice seemed a better way to ease it.

 

After all, this patient is the very reason why Sojin died. This patient is the reason why her wife isn’t talking to her anymore. This patient is the reason why her peaceful marriage life is ruined forever.

 

Tightly gripping onto the scalpel, she has to make a decision quick. Her assistants are all staring at her, wondering why she isn’t continuing the operation.

 

“Doctor Jung? Are you okay?”

 

Eunji placed the scalpel down the tray. She got off her stool, took off her gloves and glared at her assistants who were completely dumbfounded at the whole situation.

 

“Alright. I’ll make this quick.” She sighed, crossing her arms. “This is an order. If any of you dare to speak of what I am about to do the moment you leave this room, you will be seeing this patient together in heaven.” The doctor threatened, pointing her fingers straight in the eyes of all of her assistants. “Got that?” She growled.

 

And without hesitation, they all nodded and remained mum.

 

Everything that happened on that day remained a secret sealed forever. To everyone else, it was an operation accident. But to everyone who was in the operating theatre with Doctor Jung, it was murder.

 

 

 

“I see.” Irene nodded and bowed her head. “I apologize. I must have rushed you into things knowing how busy of a person you are. Very well, Doctor Jung. Let’s arrange this for another time.”

 

She dug into her pocket and handed out her fake journalist name card that contained her correct phone number and email address. “I will be waiting for your call. Well then, I will take my leave. Once again, I apologize for the sudden interruption. Let’s meet again on better terms.” The woman smiled, turning her heel around and walking far into the hallway.

 

Eunji took a quick look at the name card. “Bae Joo Hyun.” She mumbled, thumb rubbing against the paper as she didn’t like the feeling of this. Trying not to crumble it, she stuffed it inside her wallet and looked around the empty corridor, making sure that this lady didn’t stay around and actually left.

 

With the coast clear, the doctor quietly headed into a corner and dialed a number. It rings for a couple of times before it finally picks up.

 

“What’s up? Rare of you to call me. Or rather, I’m always the one calling you anyway.”

 

“I know. But I need to ask a favour from you.”

 

“Ah, a favour.” The lady hummed through with intrigue. “What kind of favour would that be?”

 

“I want you to eliminate someone. It’s a favour that is close to home and pretty easy to do I would say. Right, Sooyoung?”

 

The woman over the phone chuckled. “What a surprise, doctor. I never thought someone who save lives, would want to kill lives. But…consider the job done.”

 

On the drive back home, there is a lot on the doctor’s mind.

 

Days like these are becoming more frequent. It makes her space out, it makes her feel the stress climb up her shoulders and her heart heavy. Alone on an empty highway as the glowing moon basked deeply into the black skies, Eunji parked her Land Rover in front of a convenience store. She doesn’t really know why she’s loitering around, walking through the shelves and looking for nothing.

 

Maybe she’s trying to find another way to solve this, other than killing someone. Maybe she’s trying to figure out how did that journalist even start on investigating her marriage.

 

Eunji’s feet slowly walked into the aisle of beverages and her eyes immediately found itself on the alcohol section. Inside the cool freezer, there are a couple of beer cans stacked and it finally brings the doctor’s stiff face into a smile.

 

A can of beer will always remind her of Chorong.

 

 

“Love you.”

 

“Love you too.”

 

Eunji smiled, clinking their can of beers together as they were out here, sitting at the Han River. It’s one of those usual midnight dates that they had whenever the couple finished work late. As they gazed into the night skies, the moon reflecting against the stream as they chatted away about anything that was on their mind, if only such moments could last forever.

 

“I just had a great idea.”

 

“What is it?”

 

Eunji smirked. “Let’s try taste-testing all the can beers in the convenience store!”

 

“Huh, funny how this is coming from a doctor. Didn’t you say that alcohol is bad for your health?” Chorong scoffed, taking another sip from her can. The doctor laughed and couldn’t resist to kiss her cheek. “Well, you never told me which can of beer is your favourite.”

 

“Asahi…”

 

“What was that?” Eunji grinned, acting as if she didn’t hear her wife say that, even though it was loud and clear. She leaned over closer and put her hand over her ears. “Sorry, I’m deaf. What beer did you say was your favourite again?”

 

“It’s ASAHI!”

 

Eunji groaned as Chorong screamed into her ear, which the latter eventually laughed off, seeing her wife in pain. “I know how you play your games, Eunji. Don’t think I’m that dumb.”

 

“Argh, guess I have to try another tactic then.”

 

“Okay, go on. What else do you have up your sleeve?”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

 

Staring at the alcohol fridge as she is reminded of their happy times, the doctor is hesitant. But eventually, she pulled the door open and grabbed two cans of Asahi beer. Going up to the cashier, she pays for it, takes the plastic bag and gets back into her Land Rover.

 

She wants to believe in this small hope beating in her chest. That there is a chance that she could still return back to those days. Maybe when she goes back to that penthouse, she will be drinking these cans of beer with Chorong while they lounge at the living room. Maybe it will make her wife feel better and forget about the sorrow times.

 

But when Eunji returns home, her nose catches hold of an unfamiliar scent. The smell of cigarettes. It reeks and is wafting freely around the living room. Locked right in the centre of her sight, she sees Chorong at the balcony, smoking away.

 

All of that hope has drifted away like the smoke of that cigar. Standing by the doorway as the doctor quietly watched Chorong puffing away, looking sadly at the white moon as she sighed, it is a sight that hurts her so much.

 

Even though Eunji wants to lash out at her and say how she had the audacity to be smoking in front of her eyes, but she knows that she can’t because it will make Chorong feel even worse than how she already is. In the end, the doctor decides to keep all of her boiling emotions bottled up.

 

“Drink this while you smoke. It’ll make you feel better.”

 

Eunji sighed, carelessly tossing the plastic bag as it bounced onto the couch. Chorong turned around in a flinch, only seeming to notice Eunji’s presence now. Just as Chorong’s lips were about to move, wanting to say something to her, “I’m going to sleep.” Eunji cut in, turning her gaze away. “Good night.”

 

Chorong closed as she watched the doctor climb up the stairs, slowly disappearing from her sight. Putting her cigarette down and reaching for the plastic bag, she finds the two Asahi beer cans in her grasp. It’s her favourite beer. At this hour when Eunji would have been so tired at work, she still took her time to think about her and bought this drink.

 

Chorong tightened her grip on the can. “You shouldn’t have married me, Eunji.” The woman mumbled, tears rolling down her cheeks.

 

“Otherwise, you wouldn’t have to suffer like this.”

 

 

---

 

A/N: Brb gonna cry for a second. Now, we are beginning to find some answers as to what happened between Eunrong. But as we start to figure out a mystery, a new danger is approaching our couple. Detective Irene is quick to catch up and now, Eunji might have to kill her with the help of the Onyx. We'll be getting more Jung family interactions in the later chapters, and more onto the mystery of Sojin's death. Stay tuned!