bullets & needles

My Wife is A Gangster

 

Having a gangster wife means having to risk your life.

 

Marrying a person like Chorong means that Eunji has to trust her, believe her, understand her and know that at any point, she could die in her line of duty.

 

Their first day of marriage starts…with a fierce attack. Bullets flying left and right, members of the Onyx engaging in fights and confused innocents running for safety.

 

Yeah…Eunji’s never going to have her boring, peaceful life back.

 

“Everyone, please stay calm and follow these men. They will keep you safe!” The doctor announced, ushering the guests to the backdoor as they crouched behind the large decoration walls. Occasionally, she’s eyeing on her wife, worried that she might get hurt.

 

Even though she knows that Chorong is an experienced fighter but it is simply human nature to be concerned.

 

“What the is going on? Eunji, you better tell me everything later.” Bomi threatened yet eyes trembling in fear as she’s hugging tightly onto Namjoo and following the rest.

 

“Yeah. I have a lot to say. Get to safety first.”

 

The doctor is sorry for dragging them into this mess. Counting heads and making sure that everyone is out, the doctor looked back in amazement. Chorong doesn’t have a single scratch on her body. In the midst of this bloody battlefield, there is a bride standing on top of a table, guns firing away as bodies of her fallen enemies scatter everywhere.

 

Within ten minutes, the firing came to a halt. The Onyx got rid of the unknown force, leaving no one standing. But they can’t let this slip away like that. Park Joon Hyung is especially angry. Whoever did this, won’t even have the chance to ask for mercy.

 

This is a declaration of war.

 

“Father. This is the Machete’s doing.” Bogum growled, lifting one of the masked men’s body upwards and pulling his sleeve down, revealing a knife tattoo carved onto his wrist. It is the easiest way to identify their kind unlike the Onyx, who keep their identities watered down. No tattoos, no identity cards, the Onyx doesn’t need anything like that.

 

“I thought it was strange that they were keeping quiet these past months. Looks like they were waiting for the right moment. How dare they…” Chanyeol snarled, annoyed that they had the nerve to destroy his sister’s wedding.

 

The two brothers can’t hide the anger and frustration written on their faces. They want revenge. Sweet revenge. Whether it be slaughtering their whole family and torturing them slowly, they will gladly do both.

 

“Lee Byung Hun.” Joon Hyung’s fists clenched in anger. He’s an old rival. For more than thirty years, they’ve been pushing and pulling each other’s ends. But looks like it’s time to finally settle their differences once and for all.

 

Machete, the second largest criminal organization after The Onyx, is run by the Lee clan. Just like them, they have their own generation of killers, sons and daughters all destined in the line. But they were never enough to reach Onyx’s level. They like to play dirty—the kind that Joon Hyung hates the most.

 

If the Onyx were wolves, the Machete are sly hyenas.

 

“Father. Let me do it. This happened because of me. It’s because of Lee Changsub. He wasn’t happy with the fact that I’m getting married that’s why he- “

 

“Chorong. Stay out of this.”

 

“But Father- !”

 

“I told you that you are removed from all positions.” His stern, strict tone was enough to make the queen quiet and small. “Let the family handle this. Proceed with your honeymoon as planned. Understood?”

 

“Yes…father.”

 

Chorong looked down, biting her lip hard. It’s always like this. She had the power to command her own people, her own siblings but never her own father. Even when she wanted to express her feelings, her thoughts, everything is shut back into the door.

 

Eunji who witnessed all this from afar, understood what Chorong meant. They are a family of gangsters. She was raised with a tough love type of father, one where it’s difficult to understand his care. The doctor knew that Joon Hyung didn’t want his daughter to be involved in this and let her enjoy her wedding, but didn’t know how to portray that properly.

 

Boseok was a total opposite of Joon Hyung. He was direct with his feelings, openly showing his concern and care through actions and words. It left a bitter taste inside Eunji’s heart, thinking how Chorong probably never felt nor understood the warmth of a normal family.

 

And she’s lucky to marry her.

 

Eunji is the perfect person to show her a new world, to lead her onto right path. The doctor has a new responsibility and she will gladly accept it, not because she was forced to but, because she genuinely wants to help her.

 

It’s natural human instinct.

 

 

xxx

 

 

Squatting in a small kitchen room located on the second floor, Namjoo and Bomi along with the rest of the guests are lost, confused and shocked. With all these men guarding them with big guns, they have a lot of questions in their head.

 

Just who on earth is Eunji marrying to and why did they attack the wedding?

 

“Please tell me this is a dream.” Bomi asked with a straight face, sweat trickling down her forehead as she’s slapping her cheeks. “I can’t die early yet. I’m still a ing !”

 

“What the hell, is that why you’re worried?!” Namjoo rolled her eyes, somewhat not surprised at her eccentric friend’s remarks. They’ve been together for four years, it’s normal.

 

Strangely in the midst of everything, that woman popped up in Namjoo’s head. She was just making out with her minutes ago and the nurse managed to catch a glimpse of her in action. She reloaded her weapon with speed, clearly showing her experience. She wants to find out more about this mysterious woman, especially after that attack.

 

“Holy …it’s her.” Bomi gasped, eyes locked onto the woman who entered the kitchen, dressed the same way as the guards. Black leather vest, a gun strapped to her belt and slender figure, it’s Naeun.

 

The woman instantly regretted accepting the task of checking on the guests. She’s trying her best to ignore Bomi who is staring at her whilst counting heads. Everyone’s safe and sound.

 

“I know that all of you are alarmed at the situation right now. No, this is not a terrorist attack. This is a private family affair that is none of your concern. All of you are innocently dragged into this position and on behalf of The Onyx, we apologize for your worries. Please wait for the situation to settle down and you are allowed to return safely to your respective places. The wedding today is cancelled.”

 

Naeun cleared , reciting the speech like a script she memorized.

 

Already, she can hear the gasps and shock on their faces because the mention of Onyx has everyone trembling in fear. She doesn’t want to think about what Bomi thinks of her now. Doesn’t matter if she’ll start to avoid and hate her. It was due to come anyways. Upon her hand signal, all of the men raised their guns and pointed at the guests. They were not hesitant to pull the trigger.

 

“You must keep this incident a secret.” Naeun ordered. “Do not tell the police. Do not even speak of it in real life. The moment you step out of this room, you must forget that this incident ever happened. Obey, or you will face the consequences.”

 

It’s a routine that the Onyx does whenever civilians are involved. Almost always, they obey. That is how the Onyx gets away from the police and still tread freely in the country; threats.

 

Everyone remained silent, nodding their head in obedience. Even though they have millions of questions, they will never get the answers.

 

The wedding of the famed neurologist, Jung Eunji and a feared gangster, Park Chorong remained a hushed, secret event that will never be spoken of, closed and kept away in a box that will never be touched again.

 

 

xxx

 

 

A day later, all is quiet.

 

The newspapers did not report about the attack in the hotel. Nothing was uploaded onto the Internet. Empty. Indeed, the Onyx are powerful and are able to manipulate anything at their will. At Joon Hyung’s orders, the newly-wedded couple continued their honeymoon as planned while the Onyx hunted down the Machete.

 

Tucked safely south of Seoul, hidden deep in the mountains, protected by thick, lush forests and guarded by several gates of security is a quaint, three-floor wooden pension house resting at the top of the slope. It’s a cozy, warm place with a modern design. A built-in gym at the basement, swimming pool at the edge of the balcony and a spacious garden porch upon arrival, it’s an escape away from all the blood and fighting.

 

Chorong and Eunji have a whole week to spend together.

 

To Chorong, it’s like a mission. She’s tasked to get comfortable with her wife, get to know her and naturally “like” her. But the queen doesn’t want to force herself to love a person, when she doesn’t even know what “love” truly is.

 

The doctor however, sees the honeymoon as a well-deserved break from work. From day to night, she’s been so busy camping at the hospital. Piles and piles of operations to do, patients to attend, she did not have a moment to sit down and relax. But now, she can, with the presence of someone new; her wife.

 

Stepping foot into the house, Eunji is quick to explore. She’s excited with the facilities, impressed that the Onyx had such a place under their control. Returning back to the living room, her eyes land on Chorong sitting quietly on a bench and staring out at the open scenery through the glass window.

 

She’s been quiet the whole journey, not even muttering a single word and Eunji thought that she wanted some space. She respected that but surely, she wasn’t going to spend a whole week with a mute person.

 

“Hey.”

 

Chorong doesn’t respond. The doctor is pretty sure she’s spacing out. She bent over, snapping her fingers, “Hey.” She repeats again, causing Chorong to flinch and jump back into reality.

 

“Oh. Sorry.” The woman shifted uncomfortably in her seat, eyes moving elsewhere.

 

“You okay?” Eunji frowned in worry, knowing that something’s up. Even though they’ve only met twice, the doctor has gotten an idea of what Chorong’s personality is like and while it’s hard to tell, she’s certain that it has to do with her father.

 

Family matters are the worst to deal with because they attack close to your heart.

 

“Yeah. I’m fine.”

 

The doctor sighed, shaking her head at that cold response. She wants to save the conversation and not let the mood drop. Sitting next to Chorong, shoulders brushing against each other, she’s surprised that Chorong doesn’t move away.

 

Usually, she would freak out—at least, that’s what she understood from their second meeting.

 

The doctor still can’t seem to bring into mind that this woman was just shooting and killing several men yesterday. Eunji moved her eyes down onto Chorong’s coarse hands. It’s rough with worn-off blisters and bruises. Comparing with hers, it’s a huge difference. She can feel her heart sink realizing how hard her life must’ve been.

 

For Eunji, she grew up without having to worry that someone might kill her in her sleep. She went to school, experienced college life and knew what love is like, just like any other ordinary person. But Chorong doesn’t know what it’s like.

 

She’s never experienced it, seen it, felt it.

 

Eunji wants to help her realize that life is more than just killing. Being together means sharing a piece of your other half. The doctor wants to start their relationship slowly. Rather than being lovers, she wants to be friends first. She wants to remain optimistic and positive that Chorong isn’t as bad as what she thought.

 

“Have you ever calculated the number of people you’ve killed?” Eunji shoots a question, wanting Chorong to talk more than just them sitting in silence. She wants to find a topic that they can talk about and let it flow naturally into something else.

 

“Not really. Even if I did, I probably lost count.”

 

“Right.” The doctor chuckled, glancing over at Chorong who is still half-spacing out. She has an idea.

 

“Hey, can I hold your hand?”

 

“S-Sure.”

 

There it is.

 

That sudden look of surprise and nervousness. Remembering back when she asked Chorong to kiss her, she’s taken a liking to the gangster acting all shy and reserved. It quickly sheds away her tough image and makes her more approachable. If anything, she looks like an awkward teenager learning about love.

 

Eunji firmly wrapped her fingers around Chorong’s cold hands. The doctor’s touch is the perfect warmer.

 

“Tell me a little bit about yourself, Chorong. In exchange, I’ll do the same. I think the least we could do is get to know each other better.”

 

The woman looked at her, somewhat grateful that the doctor is doing her best to initiate a conversation with her. She thought that Eunji didn’t like the idea of getting married to someone like her. The doctor was probably forced, the same way her father did. But she isn’t bitter about the decision and showed interest to move forward.

 

Because of Eunji’s effort, Chorong wants to try to.

 

There’s a sudden hint of thought that hits her; if she can’t gain the acknowledgement and praise from her father, what if she’s just looking at the wrong person? What if the person she needs right now, is this doctor named Jung Eunji?

 

And so, a conversation starts moving.

 

From minutes, to hours. It surprised the both of them. The fact that they match so well, makes them wonder a bit.

 

It goes from Chorong explaining how she was brought up in the Onyx family. From the age of five, she was already taught to hold a gun. By ten years’ old, she had her first blood. She’s homeschooled, just like the rest of her siblings and her only “friends”, are her henchmen, Naeun and Hayoung.

 

Eunji talks about how she’s lucky to grow up from a “privileged” family. From a silver spoon, she didn’t have to worry about anything. School, money, friends, she has it all covered. But in the Jung philosophy, all children are taught to be humble and wise, to never flaunt their wealth and be self-centered.

 

And it is her fate to be a doctor, whether she liked it or not. There was no other option for her to choose. Medicine is part of her blood. Even so, that didn’t mean that she couldn’t learn anything else. During her teens, Eunji took up boxing classes after a particular incident that changed her way of thinking. And with boxing, she immediately fell in love.

 

That’s when the conversation here, had a sudden synergy of excitement when sports and martial arts were involved. Something clicked between the two as they found the meeting point.

 

Both of them love to fight.

 

“Do you mind if I said I want to have sparring match with you?” Eunji asked with an intrigued look, interested to see how far her skills can take her. “There’s a gym downstairs with a boxing ring.”

 

“Are you asking me for a challenge?” Chorong asked, looking at her with a smile. It just came out so naturally that the gangster didn’t notice it.

 

She’s smiling. The fierce, cold queen who was always reserved with her emotions, smiled.

 

And to Eunji, that is such a beautiful, warm smile. She doesn’t know why Chorong doesn’t smile often. She should do it more frequently because to her, pretty things should be showed off to the world instead of hiding it under the covers.

 

“Yes, I am.” The doctor grinned back, gleaming like the sun. “To make it more fun, let’s do a bet. Loser makes the winner do whatever they want.”

 

“Okay, deal.” Chorong accepted, heart thumping with excitement. She’s never had anything like this before, a friendly match with something to lose, something to earn, she loves it.

 

But the gangster doesn’t realize that her heart is thumping because of the doctor’s magical smile.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Wait, what the hell is happening- “

 

Namjoo and Bomi stood at the counters, stunned as a group of men marched into the hospital with their guns strapped to their chest. A buzz ringed into the speakers as Boseok announced that the Seven Life is currently experiencing an “emergency” and requires protection therefore, the hospital “apologizes” for the commotion and that it will still run normally.

 

It leaves everyone confused, but only Namjoo and Bomi knew that this was related to the Onyx. They can’t tell anyone what happened that day but at least, they’re not alone. The speakers ring again, asking for nurses Yoon Bomi and Kim Namjoo to come to the chief’s office.

 

The two exchanged glances at each other, thinking that they are ed. Deciding to stay together in whatever situations that will happen, the nurses knocked onto the door and greeted Boseok who surprisingly, flashed a smile in return.

 

“Because of the current situation right now, I will be assigning the two of you a special job. This will not affect your current schedules because it is just a small matter.”

 

“But sir, could we at least know what’s happening? I mean- we were there that day. We’ll promise to keep it a secret.”

 

Boseok clasped his hands together in thought.

 

“Let’s just say that the enemies that attacked us the other day are looking for my daughter.” The doctor said, tying his words carefully in order to not spill too much. “High chances are, they are going to be attacking this hospital in search for her. Of course, they have no idea that she’s with her wife, having a sweet, peaceful honeymoon. So, The Onyx will be gathering all of their able-soldiers to protect us. It’s complicated but there is only so much that you can know.”

 

“I…see. We won’t die right?” Bomi asked, feeling the nudge from Namjoo as it’s probably not a good time to ask that.

 

“That’s why I’m assigning the both of you a special job. Please come in.” Boseok signaled as the door opened.

 

“No way…”

 

Bomi and Namjoo turned around, mouths opened as they stared at the two, familiar women who entered.  

 

“Ladies, meet Naeun and Hayoung. They will be in charge of leading the team and will be protecting you for the week so, please do not worry about your safety.”

 

The flustered guards bowed and greeted the two nurses. They did not foresee this coming. Out of all the nurses they could be assigned to, it just had to be these two.

 

“Please show them around and cooperate with them. Thank you, ladies. That is all.”

 

With that, Bomi and Namjoo continued to work normally while trying to hide the surprise from their faces. Attending to patients, going about their daily routines, they are trying to get used to having Naeun and Hayoung follow them around and the occasional questions from people.

 

The first few hours of the day were nothing eventful—which is a good thing.

 

Bomi and Namjoo go their separate ways because of the different departments that they are in. Bomi often helps out doctors during operations, performing MRI scans, rushing corner to corner to deliver prints.

 

Namjoo on the other hand, is situated in the ER department, often doing administrative work unless there is an actual emergency like car accidents and such. Seated at her desk and typing away at the computer, keying in details of newly admitted patients, Namjoo can’t seem to focus.

 

She’s misspelled and made several errors. It’s all because of her new “bodyguard’s” fault. For months, she’s been trying hard to know her name. And all of a sudden, it slips out so easily from Boseok’s mouth.

 

Hayoung.

 

This “Hayoung”, whom she made out with in a restroom yesterday, is right there standing next to her. She’s been keeping quiet, sticking true to her job but all Namjoo can think about is the hot, steamy kisses they had.

 

It’s clearly not helping her situation. The nurse is finding it difficult to breathe, cheeks slowly flushing at the thought of something .

 

As a means to save the situation and not have people stare at her, Namjoo escaped into the restroom…with Hayoung following her behind because that’s her job. Great. It leaves the two of them alone again. The nurse washed her face under cold water, sighing and nervously clearing .

 

Looking at the mirror reflection, Hayoung’s staring at her with a worried expression but, she doesn’t say anything. It makes Namjoo curious why she’s keeping sealed. So, she shoots a question at her, “Aren’t you going to ask me anything?” but her bodyguard remained quiet.

 

“Hayoung.”

 

The woman flinched at the call. She’s finally caught her attention.

 

“So, your name is Hayoung.” The nurse turned to face her, tilting her head slightly. “It took me a long time to know your name, you know? Hayoung.” She calls her name again, moving a little closer to the woman. “Hayoung” She breathed; orbs locked onto each other, exchanging tensed stares.

 

“Hayoung- “

 

The bodyguard kisses her hard, lips rough in as her firm grip pulls the nurse into the empty cubicle. Pushing her against the door, they’re kissing like mad. Wilder than last time and wanting more, they’ve grown addicted to this nameless, invisible drug. The kisses are aggressive, tongues clashing with one another, each wanting full dominance. No one wants to summit.

 

“Who the are you Hayoung and why am I so ing attracted to you?” Namjoo gasped, taking a breather as she’s getting drunk with the way Hayoung’s gently holding her yet kissing her so roughly.

 

“I should be asking that question.” The woman finally responds, confused herself. “We shouldn’t be doing this.” She gulps, eyes landing back down on those luscious, glossy lips. She wants to rip it apart. She really wants to.

 

“But you can’t stop, can you?”

 

Hayoung bites her lips at that question. It’s true. She can’t.

 

“.”

 

She cussed, admitting the hard truth as the bodyguard dived back into those hungry lips. Kissing over and over again, tasting a delicious meal that she’ll keep coming back for more.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Naeun isn’t allowed entry into the operating theatres so the best she can do, is patrol outside. She’s definitely getting some stares from passerby’s, probably due to her all-black outfit and pistol strapped onto her belt. She doesn’t want to think about anything else and just focus on the job.

 

But she hates the fact that her mind keeps reminding her about Bomi and the situation back then. She hates this fear climbing at the back of that this nurse is probably scared of her, ever since yesterday. She probably…hates her. Everything that they’ve done together, all shattered apart.

 

Her thoughts break away when there’s something softly tugging the hem of her coat. The woman freezes, looking down as a child patient is staring at her. She doesn’t know what to do in this situation. She’s never interacted with a child in all her life. You can call it a chicken and duck trying to talk to one another. It just doesn’t work.

 

“Do you like candies?” The child asked, rummaging through her small pocket and handing Naeun a strawberry-flavored candy. “I have some spares. Mommy said sharing is caring.” She grinned, a smile b of pure innocence.

 

“I- “

 

“Aw, how sweet of you Chaewon!” Bomi stepped in to save the day, naturally crouching down to maintain eye-level with the child as she’s opening up the wrapper and putting one into . Naeun observed the nurse, amazed at how good she is with children.

 

“Don’t worry Chaewon. I’ll be sure to give candies to this unnie too! Now, let’s go back to your bed before your mom gets worried!” Bomi hummed, carrying the child into her arms and walking back to the ward.

 

The bodyguard followed her and continued to observe the nurse tucking Chaewon in bed as she hummed a lullaby, instantly leading the child into dreamland. The nurse smiled, lightly pinching Chaewon’s cheek.

 

“You saved this girl’s life.” Bomi said, remembering the day Naeun willingly donated her blood. If she couldn’t find a donor, Chaewon would never have the chance to live again.

 

“I see…”

 

“Honestly, I was a bit sad that you suddenly left like that. I wanted to maybe…treat you to something nice for the act you did. But I guess I know why now…”

 

“You probably hate me.”

 

“No! Why would I?”

 

Bomi frowned at that comment.

 

She didn’t like how Naeun’s being very gloomy and pessimistic. She’s always given off that dark, intimidating aura around, especially with her outfit; black leather jacket, black boots, black leggings, basically all black. The said woman doesn’t even smile.

 

But that doesn’t give the nurse to hate on her. In fact, it gives her more reason to be interested in this mysterious woman.

 

“I don’t think you’re a bad person. If you are, I would be dead by now.” The nurse joked, bringing back the time when Naeun ordered those men to aim their guns at her.

 

She talked sense. But that is only because in the Onyx, they are not obliged to hurt the innocents. They may be criminals but they try their very best to avoid involving civilians in their work.

 

“Anyways. I have more work to do. Can’t chit chat.” Bomi sighed, giving up on the conversation as Naeun isn’t replying her. It’s like she’s talking to a wall.

 

Slapping back into reality, she needs to prepare for another operating procedure. Walking through the crowded corridors, it’s rush hour. Visitors strolling past to visit their loved ones, doctors running through and nurses following behind, Naeun doesn’t like the feeling of this. It makes it a perfect scenario to attack.

 

Keeping a close watch whilst wondering where on earth her partner, Hayoung went, her eyes catch hold of a masked man walking towards their direction. Dressed casually like a normal civilian, Naeun knows by experience that it’s a trap. As he’s approaching closer, everything happened in a flash. The man attempted to attack and take Bomi hostage, lunging his arm towards the nurse but Naeun was quicker.

 

A swift lock onto his arm, twist and toss, the man winced in pain as Naeun stood in front of Bomi, sending signals to the nurse to go and call for help. She nodded, wanting to believe in her bodyguard as she ran off.

 

“Lee Minhyuk.”

 

“Son Naeun.”

 

The man greeted back with a smirk, stretching his wrist and shaking it slightly, as a means to show off that Naeun’s attack was weak. “As expected, my cover is blown.” He scoffed, slowly taking out two knives from his belt.

 

“Let’s make this quick. Just tell me where that doctor went and we can settle this peacefully. I’ve already scouted this whole building and it’s a waste of my time.”

 

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you that.”

 

“Then, that’s unfortunate.” Minhyuk sighed, charging forward as he swung his weapons across. Naeun took a step back, narrowly dodging the attack as she took out a blade from her belt. Brandishing it across, she was ready to fight.

 

In the Onyx, she’s the knife specialist. Lee Minhyuk, is her counterpart in Machete. It’s a battle between two knife experts.

 

Minhyuk charged forward again, bravely swinging and twisting his blades around, curving and flying it towards Naeun’s agile movements as she tries to dodge it. But the woman can’t keep up with his lightning speed. One hard kick onto the woman’s thigh lets her guard down, allowing the blades to slice across her arm.

 

A splatter of blood scattered on the floor as Naeun winced in pain. Minhyuk delivers another blow but the woman managed to block it as their blades clashed with one another, friction against silver.

 

Minhyuk hummed in amusement. “You’ve gotten better at this.” Only to suddenly retreat as a bullet flew across, grazing his arm.

 

Backup has arrived.

 

“Guess we’ll have to continue our fight next time, Son Naeun.” Minhyuk clicked his tongue, clutching onto his open wound as he’s running in the middle of gunfire. Jumping down balconies and crashing into the window, there’s no point chasing after him.

 

“, he got away.” Hayoung exasperated, ordering the rest of the men to search the hospital in case there are more of them hiding in disguise. “You okay?” She said, looking at the ghastly cuts on her partner.

 

“Where the were you anyway?” Naeun sighed, a little annoyed because she found the answer already by looking at the woman’s disheveled hair—probably had a thing with that nurse. She grumbled, turning away as she doesn’t want to talk to Hayoung for a while.

 

But her eyes land on Bomi who’s waiting for her.

 

“Come on, let’s go get you fixed.”

 

Away from the commotion, curtains blocking their view and in their quiet, small space, Bomi has all of her attention on cleaning and stitching up Naeun’s ghastly cuts. Using the needle, pulling the thread in and ensuring that it’s a perfect fit, she can’t have an ugly finishing on this beautiful woman.

 

“Bullets and needles. What a rare combination.”

 

The nurse mumbled, hands meticulously moving as she’s handling with much precision and care. Wrapping up the last piece, Bomi flashed a smile. “Alright. It’s done.” She gets up from her seat and kept the supplies back into the cupboard.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

 

Bomi’s hands reached for the curtains as she’s ready to get back to work. But she turned around, eyes onto the bodyguard who rolled down her sleeves.

 

“Thank you for saving me. You were cool back there, fighting like that. But please, be more careful okay?”

 

Naeun nodded, not sure how to respond in the form of words. She’s never had anyone who was concerned about her wellbeing and it would be a lie if Bomi’s words didn’t warm up her heart.

 

Even though it isn’t nothing much, but it makes her feel…at home.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Chorong immediately looked away when Eunji revealed herself in her training outfit. Black sports bra, tight blue shorts and among everything else, her firm, body build. There was no way to hide those defined muscle tones and concrete abs.

 

It makes her a little…envious. A body that’s untouched, clear of scars and wounds. Just pure, hard muscles…unlike hers.

 

“Let’s start.” The doctor smiled, noticing that her Chorong’s outfit is surprisingly conservative. She’s in a red tracksuit, long sleeves covering her skin. But that doesn’t matter. Eunji is sure that Chorong has her own reasons. She wants to respect that.

 

“Do you want me to go easy on you?”

 

“No. Not at all. Pretend that I’m your enemy.” The doctor hummed with confidence, climbing into the boxing ring as she did stretches. She’s ready.

 

It starts with loud smacks, hits and thuds. Grunts, sighs and the squeaking sound of their shoes. Minutes in and there are drops of sweat staining the floor. From high kicks, elbow swings and uppercut dodges, no one seemed to be giving up.

 

Each one was equally good, throwing attacks and defending well. Their faces flushed due to the hotter temperature, skins getting a little sticky.

 

Chorong is impressed at Eunji’s skills. She could even be a potential recruit for the Onyx if she wasn’t destined to become a doctor. No matter how many punches and kicks she threw at her, the woman easily dodged it like water.

 

Eunji on the other hand, she’s just thrilled. If she were to compare, Chorong’s the same as fighting twenty men. The next time she plans to train, she doesn’t need anyone. She just needs Chorong.

 

It’s been over an hour since they’ve sparred and it’s evident that they’re getting exhausted. But no one wants to lose. It’s a battle of stamina now.

 

“You’re good…Eunji.” Chorong said, breathless.

 

She never thought she would be “tired” from a sparring match because she’s always won. But now, she’s glad that she’s found someone who can bring her down from the throne. For the first time, she can admit defeat, something that she’s been wanting to do for a long time.

 

Chorong lets Eunji to take the final move, a swift lock between their legs, a twist of her wrist and thud! The doctor pinned Chorong against the floor and the winner is clear.

 

“I win.” Eunji manages to push through a sentence while catching her breath. She’s grinning widely, already celebrating her victory as she can now boast that she defeated her gangster wife.

 

Chorong admitted her defeat coolly, chest still moving up and down as she’s exhausted.

 

“Fine. You win.”

 

Silence followed after as they are both catching their breaths, sweats trickling down their foreheads and temperature getting much hotter now that they’ve stopped moving. There’s this strange tension and heat between the little space. The way they’re just silently staring at each other and how their heavy breathing fills the quiet space.

 

Eunji bites her lips, lowering her head and leaning a bit closer to Chorong’s face. Now, she feels her breath brushing against . It tickles but it’s a good kind of feeling. Her soft gasps that are ringing at the entrance of her ears. She leans a bit more, closing the space between.

 

Just a bit closer…she could reach it…she could-

 

Chorong suddenly pushes Eunji off.

 

“S-Sorry. I…I just panicked.” The woman quickly apologizes, getting to her feet.

 

“No. I should be sorry.” Eunji cleared , a little bit embarrassed.

 

“I-I’m going to take a shower first.”

 

The woman quickly escapes, leaving the doctor to take the rest of the awkward situation by herself. She’s spaced out, reflecting her actions. Her plan was originally to just get close to Chorong and be friends. That was all. They didn’t have to fall in love even if they were married.

 

But Eunji’s plan backfired.

 

This sudden need of wanting her. This sudden need of protecting her. This sudden need of kissing her.

 

“.”

 

The doctor scoffed speechless, edges of her lips turning up. She can’t deny it. She should’ve noticed the signals earlier, how all on her mind was Chorong, how that’s really all she’s thinking right now.

 

The doctor is falling head over heels for this gangster.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

The first night together.

 

In the master bedroom, there is a king size bed perfect for a happily married couple—except it’s a little complicated for the two of them. Although Chorong and Eunji aren’t particularly concerned about sharing a bed and sleeping together but, the awkward moment earlier made it worse.

 

When Eunji got out of the bath, towel wrapped around her shoulders, her eyes fall on Chorong who is already fast asleep—as a means to escape any awkward conversations. Comfortable in a simple tee and shorts, she’s looking like any other normal person until…the doctor sees the gun placed onto the night stand beside.

 

Right.

 

At some point, Eunji keeps forgetting that Chorong is a member of a criminal organization and the memory of her single-handedly killing twenty men creeps into the back of her head. She’s not sure if she should be scared or proud. But at this stage, probably both.

 

The doctor snuggled under the blankets, making herself comfortable as she tugged the blanket, pulling it across because it wasn’t enough to cover.

 

“Oh. Sorry.” Eunji apologizes, looking at Chorong shift awake, back facing against her.

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Their conversations hang up like that and Eunji’s scolding herself internally because it’s her fault that they’ve gotten all awkward now. If only Eunji got off the moment she pinned her to the ground, it wouldn’t have ended up like that.

 

The doctor sighed, knowing that these thoughts are going to keep her awake for awhile.

 

“It’s not your fault.”

 

Chorong breaks the silence, back still facing Eunji. She can’t bear the courage to look at her right now.

 

“Guess I’m an open book huh?”

 

“Yeah. It’s kind of obvious that you’re thinking about that.”

 

“Great.”

 

“…It’s because of a trauma I have…” Chorong confessed. She’s careful with her words, still reluctant to share a piece of her past. Eunji’s all ears as she encourages the woman to continue.

 

“The one who planned the attack on our wedding…is a man whom I rejected. He…has feelings for me. But I wasn’t in the right mood to get into a relationship.”

 

“Oh…” The doctor hummed in thought. “So, he got really mad about the wedding and decided to kill me?” She scoffed, joking lightly. “Who is this guy anyway?”

 

“Lee Changsub. He’s the younger son of the Machete organization.”

 

“Yikes.”

 

Eunji never thought she would suddenly become the centre of attraction between two criminal organizations. It scares her that someone out there wants to kill her just because she was forced to marry a gangster. If it was the Eunji weeks ago, she’s more than happy to file for divorce and have her happy, peaceful life back.

 

But the Eunji now, would never do that. She’s changed.

 

She’s changed a lot in the past couple days. Chorong is her wife now and there’s this sense of ownership and claim. She won’t let Chorong be taken away from her.

 

“He tried to make a move on me once. It didn’t end well…that’s why our relations with the Machete has soured. Well, father never liked them in the first place anyway.”

 

“Did he try to touch you? Kiss you?” The doctor’s suddenly acting defensive, a little furious at the thought of Chorong being touched without consent. It doesn’t matter whether Chorong could defend herself in that moment, it was a matter of women’s rights. The issue of consent.

 

The woman sighed, memories coming to haunt her back. “He tried to kiss me and did it the same way you did. Pinned me to the ground, locked my legs down and…” It was hard for her to continue. “…I was lucky that Naeun and Hayoung came in time to save me.”

 

“Men are s.”

 

Chorong chuckled at that statement. “Not all men.”

 

“Oh, right, sorry! That made it sound like I was insulting your father and brothers. I hope they don’t kill me! ”

 

And that was enough to make Chorong laugh. She laughed.

 

And it felt so light, like flowers blooming across the room.

 

Eunji never thought that she would even love the laughter of a person. She wants to hear more and so, she’s set a note to crack more jokes just so she can hear Chorong laugh again, and again.

 

The doctor regretted so much about judging Chorong. Indeed, don’t judge a book by its cover. Stereotypes of others will end up to misleading impressions.

 

After getting to know her a little more, Chorong is nothing like a gangster. While at some parts, she is; the killing, the fighting but—forget that one. Eunji wants to focus on the rarer, beautiful parts of her.

 

The parts that make her swoon. The parts that make her smile. The parts that make her…fall in love.

 

The doctor is in love.

 

 

 


 

A/N: It hasn't even been a week and Eunji has fallen so deep, she's never gonna get out haha, now if only Chorong admits the fact that she does have some interest with the doctor instead of pushing her feelings away ahem. Hajoo out there just making out whenever they can even at work huh and Bona...it's subtle but we know sumthn going on there. The Onyx is busy hunting down Machete while Eunrong is out "enjoying" their honeymoon...but that doesn't mean they are going to be safe. Thank you for reading and see you in the next chapter! Do share your thoughts on the development too ^^