bitter love

My Wife is A Gangster

 

And there it goes, another hole in her wall.

 

The last time that happened, she was hustling around with Changsub which the woman remembers as some crazy dude having a one-sided crush on Chorong—good thing that bastard is in jail.

 

Doctor Jung’s luck and quick reflexes saved her from getting killed by Hayoung’s bullet. All it took was a swift dodge, bend, grab and twist between the tall woman and she’s swiftly pulled her across the desk and pinned onto the carpet floor. As she’s trying to snatch the gun away from her hands, they are both grunting and fighting for dominance.

 

But that is until, Hayoung manages to sneakily pull out a secret blade between her belt. In an attempt to defend herself, Eunji pulled away and winced in pain. Alas, the sharp edges managed to crease her elbow, allowing small drops of fresh, red blood to stain below.

 

“Dammit! That ing hurt! Hey, Hayoung!” Eunji hissed, holding onto her bleeding elbow as she jumped back onto her feet to chase the woman escaping through the door. As their footsteps loudly echoed along the corridor, their shoes squeaked to a halt as Doctor Jung let out an airless gasp, eyes wide open as she didn’t see this coming at all.

 

Narrowly locked in the centre of her vision, is a frightened and confused Namjoo trapped in Hayoung’s grasp. In front of her eyes, that same bloody knife was now pointed at the nurse’s bare neck. “H-Hayoung? What are you doing?!” Unable to comprehend the situation at all, the first thought that came to Namjoo’s mind was to fight back. But indeed, Hayoung’s grip was far too strong.

 

“Hayoung. Drop. The. Knife.” Eunji lowered her tone in a calm manner. Although she’s as confused as everyone else in this situation, the doctor believed that the first sane thing to do is to have Namjoo out of danger.

 

“Hey, what’s all the noise on the-“

 

A cheery voice chimed through the hallway until it was sliced off by a dead silence. It’s Bomi and Naeun who happened to drop by because the woman insisted that Naeun’s stomach wound needed some checking. It’s a lucky concidence and now, Hayoung is completely cornered. Taking careful steps towards the wall behind her, she’s trembling in her movements.

 

It’s not that she’s surrounded by another extra two people. It’s the sight of Naeun right there. The memories of that day are still fresh, how Hayoung stabbed Naeun’s stomach without saying anything much, how she watched her bleed as she ran off. Instantly, there’s this flush of regret and guilt filling into her chest. It’s piling and getting heavier, making it difficult to breathe in this situation.

 

But Hayoung must continue. There is no turning back now. The Rising Sun is watching her. If nothing is done, Namjoo will die by their hands.

 

“…Hayoung? Wait…I thought she was dead. No, like missing? What…the …?” Bomi stuttered, buzzing with confusion as she’s glancing back and forth. But even an idiot knows when to shut up in this situation. Using her free arm to tightly clutch onto Naeun as a means to tell her that it’s okay and that they will somehow solve this situation out, time is ticking.

 

“Hayoung. I don’t know what you think you’re doing. But I’m not going to hurt you. Even though, yeah…you literally tried to kill me a minute ago, but please drop your weapon. Let’s talk this out, okay?” Eunji took careful, small steps forward, thinking that her voice may have gotten to the woman’s attention. But Doctor Jung quickly stopped her steps as Hayoung pressed the blade against Namjoo’s skin.

 

“Stop MOVING!” Backed against the wall, she’s trapped. There’s no way out of this. Her stupid plan was futile, a total failure. Either way, she’s going to die: from the hands of the Rising Sun or her own family. Whatever the choice is, they are both humiliating and Hayoung has already lost her last peak of sanity.

 

She’s lost it. She’s gone crazy. She can’t think straight and right now in this very moment, the only option left…is to kill both herself and Namjoo. As her ears have gone deaf to Eunji and Bomi’s shouts, she’s slowly pushing the blade a little closer to her girlfriend’s neck, after she’s done, it’s her turn and everything will be over-

 

BANG!

 

“AHH!!!”

 

Hayoung screamed in pain as a bullet pierced through her knees, causing her to kneel onto the floor. Eunji immediately took the chance and pranced onto the woman as Bomi snatched Namjoo away. Locking her arms together and stealing the blade to place it underneath Hayoung’s neck, it’s clear who’s the real winner now.

 

“Sorry. I was late. Is anyone hurt?”

 

“My arm’s kinda battered up but otherwise we’re all okay. Nice save.” Eunji grunted, flashing a half-smile at Chorong who made a somewhat grand entrance. Approaching them casually as she twirled her pistol between her two fingers, clad leather jacket and that fierce, stern look on her expression, yep, it’s her hot gangster wife alright.

 

“I’ll take care of her.”

 

xxx

 

 

Clenching her teeth in silence as she watched Bomi wrapping the bandage around her arm, it’s too obvious that she’s trying to act tough. Inside this quiet room, there’s a strange air floating around. Namjoo’s seated in the far corner, head buried between her knees as she hasn’t spoken a single word since. The two have decided to let her be for awhile because with everything happening right now, it would be the most traumatic for the girlfriend.

 

“You think she’s gonna be okay?” Bomi whispered with worried eyes, occasionally glancing at Namjoo. As she’s finished tying the knot over the cloth, the nurse playfully smacked Eunji’s elbow, hoping that her best friend would finally let out a cry. But instead, she’s faced with a threatening wide-eyed glare that literally spells “I will ing kill you if you did that again”.

 

Doctor Jung got up from her seat and almost wanted to throw her fists at Bomi. But this is not the time for the two besties to play around with each other. “Obviously not, .” She sighed in reply. “She needs help. I know what she did was wrong but it isn’t her fault. I just know it.” Eunji sat back down on her seat and explained the whole story of Hayoung’s scar on the back of her neck.

 

As the two began a small, quiet conversation, Namjoo heard everything. The longer she sits in and listens to everything that her girlfriend has been hiding from her, it just makes her feel even worse.

 

“N…Namjoo? Are you okay?” Bomi hurried over, hearing a soft sniffle and watching the nurse wipe her face with her sleeve. It’s obvious that she’s crying and trying hard to not make it known. “Aw, no. Namjoo…” The woman sighed, pulling the woman into her warm arms and trying her best to console her.  

 

Eunji could only look on, knowing that Bomi does a way better job at making Namjoo feel better. Instead, she plans on investigating and helping out the case as much as possible. She’s trying to piece in the memories of that scar, trying to picture back what that tattoo and symbol was. It definitely looked familiar. Using her phone as she browsed through the search engines, she finally got the answer. It’s…something she never would’ve thought.

 

The tattoo on Hayoung’s neck belong to the criminal organization, Rising Sun. “I know this is really not a good timing. But you guys have to look at this…”

 

Over at a separate, empty ward room, Chorong and Naeun has Hayoung cuffed to the bed. They aren’t even bothered about the gun wound on the woman’s leg. She won’t be getting any medical attention until they get the answers they need.

 

Even though it’s been so long since they last saw her, they cannot treat Hayoung the same way like before. Because of her actions, because of her betrayal, she is nothing but an enemy to them. The choice is up to them, whether Hayoung lives or die.

 

“As expected, you just won’t open your mouth.” Chorong said with a sigh. Her death glare is something that Naeun hasn’t seen in awhile. It’s full of anger, full of fire and it brings back a good reminder that the Queen should never be messed with. “Hayoung. We don’t have much time. I really don’t want to do this to you.”

 

As Chorong is circling around the bed, she notices the scar on Hayoung’s neck. Lifting the woman’s head and tilting it over, there’s no mistake about it. She’s been marked by the Rising Sun.

 

“You became their slave.”

 

It’s a statement that goes silent. Hayoung continued to remain mum, staring blankly at the ceiling as she seems to have lost everything. Her eyes have lost its colour. Her lips have gone pale. She honestly has no idea what she is supposed to do anymore.

 

“I’m going ing crazy.” The woman finally muttered out a sentence, closing her eyes shut as hot, angry tears rushed down her cheeks. “Please kill me unnie.” She choked. “I don’t want this anymore. Please…end it. This stupid life of mine.”

 

Chorong looked on unamused, crossing her arms as she circled again. “Acting all dramatic won’t take you anywhere Hayoung. We’ve been through this so many times. You think I don’t remember?”

 

 

It was the first week of autumn. The three musketeers were running around the fields, embarking on yet another training mission. Climbing up slopes, swimming through rivers and panting endlessly, someone fell behind. Falling flat on the grasslands, hands drenched in cold mud and sweat streaming down her face, she can’t handle this anymore. It feels like she’s going to die from exhaustion. Everything around her is spinning, has grown as dry as the desert and she thinks that closing her eyes would mean death.

 

“I can’t go on anymore…I can’t…please…leave me. Please!”

 

“It’s just a little more Hayoung! We can do this!”

 

“Ha…ha, save your motivation bull when I go up to heaven okay?” The girl chuckled, refusing to move from her steps.

 

As Naeun tried to pull Hayoung up from her feet, Chorong looked on unamused. Instead of helping, she decides to kick the girl hard.

 

“OW!”

 

“Get up.”

 

Hayoung’s staring at her with a glint of surprise and shock. It was the first time she has seen such a scary glare written over such a girl whom she often described as a sweet person. Right now, she looks like a flaming demon ready to gobble her up.

 

Just as she’s about to rise from her feet, Chorong kicks her back down to the ground again.

 

“OW! HEY! WHAT’S YOUR-“

 

“How long are you going to act like this?”

 

“…Huh?”

 

“You’re giving up so easily. Just because of one tiny problem, you throw everything away. How will you grow up then?” Chorong crossed her arms, feet still resting on Hayoung’s chest. “Acting all dramatic won’t take you anywhere Hayoung. Do that and you will forever be weak. You will never win against your enemies. You will always look down on yourself because of one small matter. And because of that, you will fail. Do you want that?”

 

Hayoung gulped nervously, not sure how to tackle such question. But she’s right. No, Chorong is always right. That’s why she is her leader, her unnie, her guidance. Because of Chorong, Hayoung could grow.

 

 

Looking back on those times together, maybe she’s right. In the end, Hayoung made the same path. Again, she made the same mistakes. Because of one small matter, she escalated the whole thing by her own thoughts, by her own thinking. She was so focused on Namjoo that she didn’t even bother to think about any other alternatives.

 

She let her own fear take the best of her.

 

Family stays together no matter what.

 

“…I’ll tell you everything. But,” Hayoung finally calmed down, her tears have stopped and it’s a little bit more comfortable to breathe in this room. “You have to promise me that you will protect Namjoo at all costs. I…I just can’t imagine a world without her unnie.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Chorong holds an emergency meeting at the Onyx headquarters. It leaves everyone shock as they learn about Hayoung’s betrayal and her “slavery” to the Rising Sun. As the members each debate about whether the said woman should even be allowed to live on despite the actions she has done, Chorong has no plans to let that happen. Of course, she too, is upset that Hayoung chose such a route.

 

But she understands why.

 

When Chorong learned that part of her amnesia did not remember that Hayoung now had a girlfriend who worked in the same hospital as her wife, the puzzle was beginning to piece together. Love was the answer to it all. And honestly, if she was in the same position…Chorong would do the same.

 

“I suggest that she works as a double spy.” Sojin said, somewhat expecting that the truth would eventually be spilled to everyone. It’s just that she did not expect it to be this soon. What happened to Hayoung was unfortunate and it angers the lady more that Seungri managed to get his dirty hands onto her daughter. She should’ve just made the kill the moment she had the chance. “It is the only thing that Hayoung can do for us. This is the price that she has to pay after all that she has done.”

 

Sojin’s words echoed through the meeting hall as no one says anything in objection. Even for Chorong, even when the very idea makes her uncomfortable and restless, there is nothing she can say. In the hierarchy of the Parks, Sojin has the final say. Not even Leeteuk nor Yoochun can do anything. It is the powerful woman sitting on the throne that has everyone tight on their seats.

 

“The rescue mission to the Chamber of Reflections will continue as planned. We wish all of you the best of luck. As much as we, the Elite Three would love to help all of you on this journey, the stake of Onyx is in our hands.” Leeteuk announced, flipping through the papers. “That is all. The meeting is dismissed.”

 

As Chorong stayed in for a little while longer, chatting with Sojin and receiving advice for tommorow’s grand mission, Sooyoung quietly knocked onto the door and politely interrupted their conversation.

 

“Sis, someone’s waiting for you outside.” The woman said, trying to hide her giggle. But it seemed pretty obvious who it was.

 

Chorong furrowed her eyebrows and peeked through the window curtains, only to see a very familiar Land Rover parked outside the Onyx headquarters. For once, it makes her smile but it also makes her wonder why her doctor wife isn’t home yet. It’s already past 1am and she is sure that Eunji must have had a long, exhaustive day.

 

“Go on. Head home, sister. You will need a lot of rest for tomorrow.” Sojin patted Chorong’s back. In times like these, she is a little envious that her little sister isn’t exactly hers to keep anymore. She has someone else that she can depend on during those hard times. And Sojin isn’t bitter about it. The woman has already passed on that whole responsibility to Jung Eunji.

 

“Rest well, Sojin unnie. You too, Sooyoung.” Chorong bowed and left the room. Walking down the staircase with a nervous, beating heart, she walked up to the Land Rover as the window rolled down. There she is. Doctor Jung, greeting her with a wide yet tired smile.

 

“Your Uber driver is here, your master.”

 

“What is with that?” Chorong chuckled, getting into the car. “How long have you been waiting?”

 

The doctor hummed for awhile in thought. “About…thirty minutes? I was honestly this close to dozing off but it’s fine. I just wanted to make sure that you’re safe.” Eunji doesn’t waste any time to steal off a peck onto Chorong’s cheeks before she starts pulling down the handbrakes and begins to drive away.

 

It’s one of those late driving nights. In fact, they used to do it often. Eunji somewhat hopes that this gives back some memory for her wife with amnesia. As a quiet melody of “Song Request” by Lee Sora and Suga played in the background, there’s nothing but silence for the couple. They both had a long, rough day. Tomorrow is a big one and there is just a lot going on in their minds.

 

“I should be driving.” Chorong suddenly says in realization as she notices the bandage on Eunji’s arm. “Pull over.” Eunji doesn’t and instead chuckled. “I appreciate your concern but I don’t let just anyone to drive my baby Land Rover. Get your own car next time.” Chorong gives up on trying to persuade her hardworking wife and instead thanks her. “You didn’t have to, really. I could go home by myself just fine.”

 

Eunji shakes her head. “Sorry babe. But I’m afraid I can’t do that.” She sighed, just thinking about that same, haunting memory again: Chorong getting wheeled into the hospital with blood all over her body. The very sight still makes her stomach turn uncomfortably. “I’ve told you this before. It’s just…I don’t want anything bad to happen to you again. Even though I know it’s just wishful thinking but if that’s the case, I want to spend every single second with you.”

 

“Eunji…” Chorong knows what she meant and she felt sorry. Although she doesn’t know much about their love story together, but Chorong knows that Eunji loves her a lot. And it’s something that she really wants to repay back for. She doesn’t know how, but she’ll find a way somehow.

 

“…The rescue mission is tomorrow…” The Queen pieced those words carefully, occasionally looking out at the window as she’s afraid that looking at Eunji will just make her heart sink even more. “It’s going to be very dangerous and honestly…I don’t even know if I’ll be able to make it out alive, Eunji. With everything in plan, the chances of success are…”

 

And with that, the car pulls to a stop. The signal is on and Eunji leaned back to her seat in silence. Chorong looked on with worried eyes, wondering if she shouldn’t have said that.

 

“Thank you for telling me that.”

 

It’s a reply that Chorong doesn’t expect.

 

“Really though, thank you for telling me that.” Eunji smiled sadly. “The last time you went off on a mission like that and came back with amnesia, you never told me anything. You just…left me hanging…with no message, nothing. And that…honestly, hurt. It hurt a lot, Chorong.”

 

Her voice cracked as the doctor took a deep, slow breath. She felt the need to spill everything that was inside her chest at this moment. Afraid that she’ll never be able to tell her. The chance is now. Even though it’s at a time where it hurts the most.

 

“I know that you were doing that to protect me but I want you to always tell me everything that you do in your work. Even the bad ones.” Finally, a tear rolled down the doctor’s cheek. “It’s so that I can prepare myself for the worst you know? So that it doesn’t hurt as much if you actually…die”.

 

Chorong raised her hands and gently rubbed Eunji’s tears away with her thumb. “I’m sorry.” There’s nothing else that she can say. All she can do is apologize to her. “I’m really sorry, Eunji.” She said it once again, moving closer to Eunji’s lips and kissing it softly. Just reaching her touch was more than enough for Eunji’s tears to flood down, as she’s crying into Chorong’s lips, it’s delicate and comforting.

 

The doctor who refused to show her own tears, finally cried in the presence of her only love that she cannot live without.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

 

xxx

 

 

Even though Bomi and Naeun have found their happy ending, that is not the same for their fellow friends. They have to keep their happy times for another day in the name of friendship. In an effort to fix their relationship, Bomi decides to sleepover with Namjoo at her house while she lets Naeun and Hayoung to use her apartment home for the time being.

 

At Namjoo’s place, the woman doesn’t really say anything much. Bomi tries hard to brighten up the atmosphere, crack in some lame jokes and do a bit of antics but it doesn’t even make the woman smile. Bomi turns to Plan B and asks Namjoo if she wants to snuggle in bed like how they always did back in high school. The woman doesn’t refuse.

 

“You know, it’s kind of hard to have a girlfriend who is absolutely nothing of a normal human being. Sometimes, we get hurt by their actions. But then again, we need to understand that they didn’t exactly grow up experiencing the same things we had.” Bomi talked to herself, hoping that Namjoo would hear her and not doze off into dreamland. Although she doesn’t hear Namjoo replying, Bomi decides to continue talking to herself.

 

“Loving someone is one thing. Trusting them is another. Just because they hide something from you, doesn’t mean that they don’t trust you. They have their own reasons and sometimes, they’re doing it to protect us. People have different ways of showing their love. And to them, it’s like that.”

 

Bomi glanced over at Namjoo who remained still in her sleeping position. But she’s positive that her friend has been quietly listening to her voice.

 

“Naeun’s like that too. She’s a bit awkward when it comes to expression. She doesn’t know how to handle talks. Oh, and did you know that Naeun doesn’t know how to cook? Can’t even operate a stove! She’s a funny one.”

 

And at last, she finally hears a small, quiet giggle coming from Namjoo’s mouth. It’s a positive sign.

 

“Hayoung finds the television fascinating.” She finally says through the whole one-sided conversation and eventually turns around to face Bomi. “Unnie, what would you do if Naeun did the same thing?”

 

“Hm? Oh, you mean using a blade to threaten me and almost wanting to kill me?” Namjoo nodded in reply as it leaves Bomi humming in thought. “I trust her. She wouldn’t actually kill me. She would have her reasons and knowing Naeun, it’s difficult for her to express what’s going on in her mind. We need to be patient with them, Namjoo. I know it frustrates us. I mean, I really do. I was really about to tip over an iceberg.”

 

“What do you mean unnie?”

 

“The night that I got super drunk? I was trying to drink my sorrows away of rejection. I…I thought it wouldn’t work out between me and Naeun. But being the idiot I was, I was so ing wrong.” Bomi chuckled, lightly smacking her forehead. “Turns out that Naeun had terrible past experiences and lost a lot of people that she truly loved. That’s why she’s scared of love. So, we talked it out and yeah…we are slowly getting there.”

 

“I congratulate you on your success, unnie.”

 

“You don’t have to, but thank you.”

 

Namjoo finally smiled. “Maybe you’re right.” She looked up at the ceiling.

 

“Although she may not look like it, but Hayoung’s a total baby. She’s naïve, gullible and it makes me wonder how someone like her is working in a criminal organization.” The woman let out a sigh. “How dare she try to place a knife on my throat. She’s going to get a scolding from me. And also, I’m going to give her a long lecture about why she’s hiding all these things from me!”

 

Bomi laughed out loud, relieved that her friend is back to her normal state. It makes her happy that Namjoo doesn’t plan on staying in the dark forever. She’s indeed a strong-hearted friend and won’t let anything else pull her down.

 

“If you need any help, call me. I can give you some good suggestions for her punishment.”

 

“Please. No ideas.”

 

“Oh, COME ON! You know I’m not that like that.”

 

“Ok, ok, good night unnie!” Namjoo giggled, facing her back to Bomi as the latter scoffed.

 

At Bomi’s apartment, Hayoung immediately breaks down in Naeun’s arms. She doesn’t know what to do with the scar on her neck, she doesn’t know what’s going to happen to her and the biggest problem, she doesn’t even know if Namjoo will ever forgive her. It’s always these pessimistic thoughts that are driving her insane.

 

In this cramped living room, Hayoung is hugging her knees as she’s on the floor in deep thought. Naeun stays beside her for moral support, trying to convince her that it’s going to be all right. Deep into the night, it has been awhile since the two had a heart-to-heart conversation with one another.

 

“We all make mistakes.” Naeun begins quietly. “And we learn from it, Hayoung. What you did, was an act of being human. Anyone would’ve done the same in order to live. Even though we were trained to do the opposite but these days…it’s been hard to do that.” The woman eventually finds herself playing with Hayoung’s hair which is a thing that she’s always done whenever they were together. It’s actually a small therapeutic action that does calm Hayoung down.

 

“Love makes me go crazy, Naeun. I…I’m scared of what I might become if I dive even further. Do you think that I should just…let it all go? Should I just…break up with Namjoo and repent for my sins quietly? I don’t think I even deserve her love at this point, I-“

 

“Hayoung.” The woman cut in, with a sigh. “There you go again, talking like that. Chorong has told us this so many times. These are all products of our overthinking. Fears are born through these thoughts and it is the weapon that breaks us eventually. You can’t let that take over you. You can’t always be looking all gloomy and sullen. That won’t make you feel any better.”

 

“Then, what the am I supposed to do?” Hayoung choked, still lost. “Am I supposed to just go up to everyone at Onyx and apologize for my actions? Am I supposed to face Namjoo bravely and tell her that I’m sorry? Am I supposed to kneel down and beg for forgiveness to Chorong for hurting Eunji?”

 

“Yes, yes and yes.” Naeun looked at her friend with determined eyes. “Do all of that. What’s stopping you? The fear? I told you already that those fears have been made with your own thoughts that are nothing but illusions. Don’t doubt and just do it, you coward.”

 

Hayoung gulped, wiping her tears away with her sleeve. She’s never seen Naeun this serious with her. Those eyes, glimmering with such sincerity, she could tell that Naeun genuinely cares for her as a friend. And she shouldn’t disappoint her any further. No, she shouldn’t be disappointing anyone.

 

“Sometimes, we just have to deal with whatever life throws at us.”

 

And that sentence coming from Naeun’s mouth, leaves Hayoung with a chuckle. She’s rather surprised to see her friend who never curses, to suddenly do so.

 

“Since when did you start to curse?”

 

“I don’t know. It’s all Bomi’s fault.”

 

“Right.” Hayoung nodded, finally breaking into a small smile. “Thanks, unnie. I think I know what to do now.”

 

 

xxx

 

 

The next morning arrives and in the little love nest of Eunji and Chorong, the doctor has woken up an hour earlier and prepared a simple breakfast for her wife. It’s nothing much, just a couple of warm pancakes with a slab of butter and scrambled eggs on the side. She wants to ignore the fact that it could really be their last moment together. She also wants to ignore the fact that Chorong may never come back.

 

Walking into their bedroom, Eunji lowers her head gently and kisses Chorong’s forehead. “Morning, baby. Had a good sleep?” She hummed softly like a morning bird and honestly, it’s the best alarm that can’t be bought anywhere else. It brings Chorong to a smile and instead of just waking up, she pulls Eunji into bed and kisses her as a reply. The doctor is startled but she absolutely loves surprises like these.

 

And so, the couple makes out in bed for a couple of minutes. Giggling and humming, they finally pull back and take a little breather. “I made breakfast.” Eunji said, wiping her lips. She reached out her hand and playfully messed around with Chorong’s hair. “You should get ready. You’ve got a long day ahead.”

 

“Mm. Thanks.” Chorong pecks her cheeks and finally gets out of bed, heading into the bathroom to wash up. Eunji looks on fondly at her wife. Although some may think she’s a ert for just watching her bathe in the shower, it’s her wife. Eunji can please her eyes for however the she wants and she’s more than ecstatic that Chorong’s getting used to the married life that she was already having.

 

Perhaps, her amnesia is healing and she’s getting little new pieces of memories each day.

 

At the table, the couple are eating breakfast as they’re listening into the television that is open in the living room. It’s not some serious news broadcast or a tear-jerking re-run of some soap drama. Instead, it’s the re-run broadcast of a music channel where K-pop idols are performing. Their upbeat songs definitely create a brighter atmosphere in their lovely home.

 

“How long is this mission?”

 

“It could last for a week. The Chamber of Mission is located on an island so we’ll have to go there by boat.”

 

“I see…” Eunji nodded with a hum, trying very hard to not show a single concern of worry. She vowed not to because otherwise, it will just sour the mood and then, she’ll start thinking about those negative thoughts again. “Hey, you think you could get a souvenir for me?”

 

“What?! A souvenir?”

 

Chorong broke into a laughter, finding Eunji’s question really random but cute. She looks at how her wife is nodding at her like an adorable, obedient puppy who is aware that her master will be away from home for awhile. Honestly, the Queen’s fallen deeper for this doctor and she totally understands why her former-self couldn’t back away from this woman.

 

“Alright. I’ll get you a souvenir. Something that will make me think about you.”

 

“I hope it’s not some random shell that you find on the island.”

 

“No, it won’t be!” Chorong chuckled, almost wanting to playfully slap Eunji’s hand. “…If I do come back, can we…go on a date?” The very question turned the woman into a bright grinning puppy with its tail wagging excitedly. “Of course! You know, we were supposed to go on a date. So, I’m glad that you remembered!”

 

“Then, a date it is.”

 

After breakfast, Eunji insisted to drive Chorong to the Onyx headquarters. But the latter told her not to, with the reason being that it will be even harder for the doctor to let go. It’s bittersweet, but Eunji decides to listen to her wife. At the doorstep, the couple are holding hands and bidding their final farewells. They are finding it hard to let go of each other’s hands. No one wants to let go.

 

“Don’t make risky decisions okay? And also, trust your gut feeling! If something doesn’t feel right, just get the out of there, okay?”

 

“I will, Eunji. Promise.” Chorong smiled, gently lifting her hand to wipe away tiny eye boogers on Eunji’s face. It’s nothing much but for the doctor, it’s an action that she misses a lot. The two share one last kiss and finally make the courage to let go. Eunji continues to wave goodbye at the corridor until Chorong enters the lift.

 

And, suddenly everything is hollow and empty. The apartment is once again, airless of Chorong’s voice and laughter. The apartment is once again, just another boring one belonging to a hardworking brain surgeon doctor.

 

Putting dirty dishes into the sink, Eunji breathed a sigh. She hates how that very thought of losing Chorong again comes to haunt her back. Wanting to somehow divert that attention elsewhere, the doctor decides to make a phone call to her best friend, Bomi. With everything that happened yesterday, she wanted to check up on Namjoo and hoped that it will all be fine.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

At the Onyx headquarters, Naeun arrives with Hayoung as the two head into the meeting room. With Chorong and the rest of the Park family members present, Hayoung immediately went to her knees to ask for forgiveness. Head down, she can only expect the worst. But even so, it’s worth trying.

 

“I sincerely apologize for everything I have done. I made a terrible mistake and because of that, so many lives have been lost. Nothing will be ever enough to repent for the sins I have committed.”

 

The Park siblings look onto Hayoung with a cold glare, arms crossed as they don’t seem too impressed. However, they’ve had the meeting yesterday and already know what to do with the woman.

 

“Stand up.” Sojin ordered, as the woman did what she was told. “There is one way that you can regain back our trust. That is to become a double spy. As you already know, the Rising Sun has their eyes on you. You belong to them, but not through a matter of choice. With your connections, you will provide us a better advantage in tackling the Rising Sun.”

 

“Of course. Most absolutely.” Hayoung agrees without any hint of hesitation. “I will do everything to provide you information about the Rising Sun and their whereabouts. In fact, I can already give you one of their locations. It’s…the place where they marked me.”

 

“Very well. Hayoung will stay here with me. The rest, you may leave for the mission to the Chamber of Reflections. I wish all of you…the best of luck.” Sojin said as she sent off her siblings despite knowing the risks. But the oldest sister wants to believe in them. She has to. They are the jewels of the Park family. They are the indication of strength and success to the organization.

 

Park Joon Hyung will be back and once their father is sitting onto his throne once again, the Onyx will have the last laugh.

 

As Chorong and the rest are busy in the armoury, checking and stocking on their weapons, the woman notices Naeun motioning her to come over. She hears news that Namjoo is outside their headquarters, seeking to speak with Hayoung. But the said woman is occupied with Sojin’s interrogation and it might take awhile.

 

“Ask her to come in and sit around.”

 

“You sure?” Naeun raised her eyebrow as they’ve never let an outsider into their headquarters before. Chorong nodded in reply. She trusted Namjoo. Or rather, Eunji’s friends are considered hers too.

 

With the Queen’s approval, the nurse quietly entered the Onyx headquarters, head turning around at the large portraits of the Park family and later staring at the collection of weapon displays. Awkwardly sitting around the lounge, she spots Chorong and Naeun carrying equipment into the vans outside. She tries to wave but they seem really busy so she decides to keep waiting until Hayoung shows up.

 

It is only thirty minutes after, Hayoung enters the waiting lounge and freezes in her steps. She was originally going to go there for a private moment by herself. But turns out, her girlfriend shows up instead. The woman hasn’t even planned on how to face Namjoo yet. She doesn’t know what to say, she doesn’t know how to ask for her forgiveness and is ready to give everything up for the sake of protecting their relationship.

 

Just as Hayoung takes a step back, Namjoo pats onto the empty seat beside her.

 

“Sit down.” She orders, and honestly, what can Hayoung do in that situation? In the end, she is tied down to this woman whom she can’t help but to listen obediently. Sitting down uncomfortably beside her girlfriend, Hayoung doesn’t say anything. Instead, she has her head down and avoids making any eye contact with her.

 

“Look at me.”

 

Ah, damn. She really can’t escape. In the end, Hayoung has no choice but to look at Namjoo, even though the more she does, the more it hurts inside. And sooner or later, she’s going to cry like a baby again. It’s going to be embarrassing especially since they are inside the Onyx headquarters.

 

“Why aren’t you saying anything, Hayoung? Are you scared of me now? Are you sorry of what you did yesterday?”

 

“…Let’s break up.”

 

“Hayoung-“

 

“I’m sorry. I really love you, Namjoo. I really do. But…” The woman begins to crack in her voice. “I feel like all I’m going to do is hurt you even more and I don’t want that. I want you to be happy. And it’s better if I was never part of your life. It’s better if I just disappear-“

 

“Hayoung. Stop.”

 

The nurse took a deep breath. Again, her girlfriend is becoming all pessimistic once again. It’s the classic Hayoung that she knows, and only Namjoo knows how to handle her. But after the talk last night with Bomi, she has begun to understand something. Hayoung is a little different from the rest. Sometimes, she’s a big emotional baby. Sometimes, she can be mischievous and sly in getting what she wants.

 

But that’s the Hayoung she loves and knows.

 

“We all make mistakes and we are all still learning. Yes, I’m angry that you did that. And I ing do hate you for it. But…” Namjoo looks at her softly, hands cupped on Hayoung’s cheek. “I also ing love you. I care about you. Sometimes, I toss and turn in the middle of night, wondering if maybe you’re dead or alive. I worry about whether you’re eating well because you’re so picky. I also get scared thinking that you’re out there alone again.”

 

Those words broke Hayoung.

 

Tears are flowing down her cheeks once again because everything that Namjoo said, was the truth. That’s who she is. She’s never met someone who knew her inside and out. Her girlfriend knows her at the tip of her fingers.

 

“I think about how different we are. Your upbringing and my upbringing. The people we meet. The experiences we have. We live in two worlds and sometimes, its so frustrating to understand the things that you do sometimes. But honestly…” Namjoo smiled sadly. “What the am I supposed to do?”

 

“I’m sorry.” Hayoung sobbed. “I’m sorry that I had to do that to you. I’m sorry that I didn’t say anything. I’m sorry. I promise that I’ll tell everything from now on. The missions that I have. The things that happen in my life. Even the food that I eat. I’ll tell you everything.”

 

“You better.” Namjoo pulled Hayoung into an embrace. “Otherwise, I’ll ing kill you with my own hands, stupid girlfriend of mine.”

 

 

 

--

 

A/N: It's bittersweet but that's what love is. As our three main couples have gone pass their stormy days, there's only one more big thing to look forward, the grand rescue mission. A question between life and death, will everything be a success? Stay tuned to the next update. Thank you for reading! ^^