lies

My Wife is A Gangster

 

“You know…you’re a bit different from the Chorong I know back then.”

 

“Really? How was the old Chorong like?”

 

“Hmm…” Doctor Jung crossed her arms in thought. “She was pretty rude. Spit a lot of vulgar words, smacked people, made them cower in fear.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Not that it’s a bad thing. After all, behind that tough wall was a shy, cute girl.”

 

“What about now? What about me that has changed?”

 

“Good question…you’re still the same Chorong. It’s just that…how do I put it? You seem more mature? A bit bolder. It’s like you upgraded your personality or something.” Eunji shrugged. “Anyways, I think that’s enough chit-chat. Let’s continue with your therapy.”

 

“Right.” The woman nodded, eyes flaming with determination as she wanted to recover quickly. When Naeun was discharged from the hospital three weeks ago, Chorong was motivated to get back into shape despite her movements still sloppy and needed more practice.

 

It has been seven months since the accident.

 

Seven months meant seeing the world hang loosely onto a thread as a brand-new organization of criminals called Rising Sun brought destruction into cities and towns. Their leader, Seungri has been making headlines, even dubbed as the next “King of Destruction” as he built his armies, taunted leaders and pulled them into a tensed game of money, greed and sacrifice.

 

For Seungri, he’s aiming for world domination and just as promised, he kept his eyes away from South Korea, away from Seoul and definitely away from the Onyx children. It’s a promised deal between poor Park Joon Hyung who is still captive in his cell as the government’s slave.

 

But that gave The Onyx plenty of time to get back onto their feet. Thousands of meetings, thousands of new recruits and thousands of new missions.

 

As the Park siblings worked their way up, they were always visiting Chorong with their bodies covered in blood and bruises. And Chorong hated it. She was still stuck in this damned hospital, doing these boring therapies every day when she could’ve done more.

 

She felt sorry and useless in these important times, upset that she wasn’t getting any better, frustrated that her body doesn’t move the way she wants to. Along with this heavy burden of having to lead the mega rescue mission to the Chamber of Reflection and letting their father to finally walk free, that was not all.

 

Chorong still needed answers to piece everything together.

 

  1. Doctor Jung: her complex relationship with this woman makes her question a lot, especially with how the doctor is oddly close with her siblings. She takes care of her well and keeps shut whenever she says anything else other than therapies.

 

  1. The whereabouts of Hayoung: ever since Sojin claimed that she was exiled and removed from The Onyx as a result of her injuries, the girl has gone missing from the radar. It just doesn’t make sense and all Chorong wants to do is talk to her.

 

But no matter how much she tried to persuade Eunji and Sojin to spill the answers that she has been dying to know, it was futile. And that was more enough to burn the fuel and push forward to recover.

 

“Whoa, whoa. Slow down. Do you want to injure yourself?”

 

“I want to get better, doctor. I don’t have the time. I…I can’t make them wait.”

 

Eunji sighed. At least, that’s one part of Chorong that is still intact. Watching the woman swing her legs and bending forward, hands holding firm on the bar as she completed her seventh round, Chorong has no idea how hard it is for the doctor to not admire her agile movements.

 

“Well, if you’re so eager to get back out there, we can do a deal.”

 

“Deal? What kind of deal?”

 

“If you manage to win a hand-to-hand combat match against me, I’ll convince the other doctors to get you discharged. If you don’t, you have to promise me that you’ll keep doing these therapies.”

 

“You…can fight?”

 

“Yup. Or rather, the first time we met, we kind of fought…”

 

Eunji chuckled, remembering those days of the past. She can still feel that shock of surprise when that blade narrowly grazed her neck. That annoying, chilling gaze of her fierce wife. Oh yeah, it still sends chills down her spine. She loved that sensation so much.

 

“You know, the more you tell me, the more I’m interested to know what our relationship really is, back then. When are you going to tell me, Doctor? This is testing my patience.”

 

“What do you think our relationship is, Chorong?” The doctor crossed her arms in anticipation, tilting her head slightly with a teasing smile.

 

“I don’t know.” The woman shrugged, pondering in thought. “Best…friends? Are we perhaps, half-sisters? Because Sooyoung called you unnie…”

 

“I’ll tell you the answer if you manage to beat me. Come on, there is a boxing ring upstairs.”

 

“Wait, you’ll really tell me if I win you?”

 

“I don’t go back on my words.”

 

Doctor Jung smiled, walking up the steps. She has had enough. Eunji’s been through a lot in these seven months. Fighting the urge to touch her, hug her, kiss her, the woman has been jumping around this locked, suffocating cage, longing to break free. Her willpower is one to commend for, because she’s holding onto these feelings so well.

 

Eunji is confident that things between them will go sour because Chorong has never shown a single sign of interest. Not even a blush or a hint of attraction towards her. To Chorong, she’s nothing but a doctor. Nothing more, nothing less. A simple, boring doctor-patient relationship.

 

Doctor Jung is already imagining the amount of chaos, or even awkward moments they will have, upon revealing the truth. The fact that they are married and it was arranged by their two fathers as a result of their good relationship…but Eunji’s had enough suffering. Enough pain from holding back. It doesn’t even matter if Chorong rejects her. It doesn’t matter if they will have to restart everything from scratch.

 

She just wants her to know how much she loves her.

 

Beep!

 

“I’ve got something for you. Be downstairs.”

 

“Hey…um, I need to go somewhere for a moment…is it okay if…” Chorong mumbled, halting her steps as it was a text message from Naeun. “Yeah sure. I’ll wait for you there.” Eunji nodded, coolly climbing the stairs up as Chorong headed down to meet Naeun. It was random for the woman to visit, especially since she’s been super busy with missions. Seeing the woman at the door, she’s holding a box.

 

“Hi. What did you…”

 

“Yoochun called me today. He managed to recover your old phone. Says it’s his late birthday present, but I know he’s just making up for the time lost.” Naeun said in a rush, handing the device to Chorong.

 

“Wow…”

 

“Hope this helps you with your amnesia. I know Doctor Jung is probably going to kill me for this, but she’s suffering a lot too. I honestly can’t stand to watch her like that anymore.”

 

“What? Who? Doctor Jung?”

 

Naeun nodded, deciding to only spill that much for today. “Anyways, I came here just to deliver that to you. Gotta go. Good luck on your therapy.”

 

“Thank you Naeun. Wait-do you have…any updates on Hayoung?” The woman sighed and shook her head. She’s got nothing.

 

Hayoung’s disappearance is just…fishy.

 

When they interrogated Namjoo, she continued to spout suspicious lies, saying that she’s going to go through another mental breakdown if they mentioned her girlfriend’s name again. When they approached Sojin, she simply repeated the same excuse, stating that it was a result of her injuries and there was no way to contact her. She persuaded them to let Hayoung go, to stop searching for her, but for these two…they can’t.

 

The three of them are family. Family are not to be left behind.

 

Heading into the toilet and hiding inside the cubicle, Chorong carefully powered back her old phone. She’s a little excited, a little nervous and a little scared to what she will find in that device. They contain memories of her old self, the self that she can’t remember, the self she doesn’t know.

 

Maybe, this phone will help her bring everything back. Maybe she’ll get bits and pieces of these lost memories and the answers that she has been dying to know. As the screen lights up, the wallpaper loads and flashes into the frame.

 

The woman freezes.

 

It is a photograph of her and Doctor Jung, smiling together as they appear to be in a spring festival, sitting under a cherry blossom. Eunji’s hand is wrapped around her waist while the old Chorong has her head leaned on her shoulder.

 

They look…happy.

 

Confused and surprised, Chorong begins to browse through her gallery photos. There are selfies of herself, photos of Doctor Jung working in office, photos of the two of them at a restaurant eating, a photo of Eunji kissing her cheek.

 

Chorong scrolls and clicks onto a ten-second video, dated ten months ago.

 

 

“What was that? Say it again!”

 

“Why are you recording this? It’s so embarrassing Chorong!”

 

“Hey! I won the bet this time, so you have to say it!”

 

“Oh…alright. Fine. I…I love you babe. I really, really love you.”

 

“Wow, my heart fluttered.”

 

“It better. Ha! My turn!”

 

“Hey!!!”

 

Eunji tries to catch hold of the phone and the video comes to a blank, black screen.

 

Chorong opens the chatting app and reads through a conversation she’s had with Doctor Jung. It’s the last conversation to date.

 

“(Eunji sent ten photos)”

 

“Looks like you have a lot of free time to be sending me all that.”

 

“Oh please, I know that you want more (wink emoji)”

 

The heart emoji on Doctor Jung’s contact name, it’s all too obvious. Their relationship was more than just “best friends” or “half-sisters”. They were something so much more and Eunji hid everything from her.

 

“She…”

 

And now, Chorong’s upset. She’s upset that Eunji lied to her. She kept such an important detail from her and she’ upset that Eunji chose to suffer and endure everything alone. She knows exactly what to do now. And there’s no turning back. It all made sense now.

 

Everything.

 

Clenching onto the phone tightly, Chorong stormed out of the cubicle and headed upstairs with heavy steps. As she took a deep breath, she was ready to face Doctor Jung, afresh, anew, without the tag of a “mere doctor” but something more.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Mongolia, Yolyn Am.

 

There’s a strong breeze pushing through these gigantic mountains. Among these roads swirling upwards to the top, there are small tents situated at the foot. They are colourful and round, surrounded by camels and nomads who have taken this territory for millions of years. Scarf around her neck, beanie over her head and body wrapped in a bright, red jacket, she’s been cozily living here for three months. It’s a home away from home, far from the busy, unsettling environments. There’s fresh air here, and most important of all, peace.

 

At least, there’s still a working Internet line so she could make video calls to her girlfriend every now and then. Rolling her sleeve up to check the watch, it’s 12pm. That means, it’s 1pm back in Korea. Perfect. The woman enters her small tent, comfortably settles down and takes out her phone, dialing an important number. It takes ten seconds until her face flashes into the screen. Immediately, it brings the lady into a wide smile.

 

“You really called on time, huh?”

 

“Of course. I’m very punctual babe.”

 

“I miss you, Hayoung.”

 

“Me too.”

 

With no home, no organization to belong, Hayoung was lost. While it meant that she was a free bird, she didn’t really know where to fly. She wanted time to think, to reconnect with life that she’s lost, to explore the world that she never got to experience. So, she was out here in Mongolia, meeting people and experiencing a brand-new culture.

 

“When are you coming back?”

 

“Once I’ve found an answer. I’m sorry. I know you keep asking that all the time, and I wish I could just run to you right now, but with my current situation, I’m just not ready to face everyone. Even though…Sojin unnie gave me the chance to live once again, I am still living with this…guilt in my heart. I…I am the cause of the massacre. I killed thousands and there’s no way I can ever repent.”

 

“…Hayoung. We’ve talked about this so many times. It’s not your fault.”

 

The woman sighed, smiling sadly. She knows that it’s just her girlfriend trying to make her better. But she won’t fall for these lies. “I’ve been helping out these people here. Even though we don’t speak the same language, but we manage to get through. They’ve been struggling with bandit attacks recently so I went out to give them a good lesson.”

 

“You didn’t get hurt right? Gosh, Hayoung, I thought you were living your life peacefully over there, but now you’re telling me that you’re attacking people?”

 

“Hey, I’m attacking the bad guys. Plus, they seem to call me a hero now.” The woman chuckled. “You know that I grew up with killing people, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I’m just itching to get back into action.”

 

“Just…please don’t get hurt. Please.”

 

“I know, babe. I won’t die anymore. No, I can’t die because I want to continue living in this world to be with you.”

 

“Aww…Hayoung…”

 

Halfway through the call however, it was interrupted by loud murmurs and chatter outside. Immediately, Hayoung quickly peeked through the window. She doesn’t have a good feeling about this.

 

“Sorry babe. Gotta go. Talk to you later.”

 

“What’s happening?”

 

“Guess those bandits came back. Bye.”

 

Hayoung cut the call, strapped her gun to her belt and headed outside. The villagers are gathering around. One of them saw Hayoung walking over and formed hand gestures, trying to explain the situation. Even though the woman has no idea what they are trying to convey, she breaks through the crowd and her eyes land on a lady.

 

She definitely does not look Mongolian. If anything, she looks fully Korean. Pale skin, orange cloth draped over her shoulders, a gold necklace and bracelet, she seems…of elegant blood. There are no weapons on her, so she doesn’t seem to be much of a threat. But Hayoung is experienced enough to know that these are signs to be cautious.

 

“Oh Hayoung. At last, I found you.”

 

The woman carefully held onto her gun strapped to the belt, feeling defensive at this stranger who knows her name. She’s never seen her before. She could be an enemy. She could here to kill her. Hayoung has to be ready.

 

“Who are you? How do you know my name?”

 

“I am not your enemy. Please put your hand away from the gun.”

 

Hayoung reluctantly removed her fingers from the belt strap.

 

“Good.”

 

Bang!

 

A dart stabbed through Hayoung’s arm. She didn’t have time to react. Already, the drug had immediate effect as the woman became paralyzed, collapsing onto the ground as she stared helplessly at this woman who crouched down, looking at her unamused.

 

“F-…”

 

The woman mumbled, clenching her fists as she soon succumbed to darkness.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Another busy day at Seven Life.

 

It’s even worse now that Doctor Jung’s been taking “leaves” to a “special” patient onto her daily therapies when it is clearly none of her concern. But Sim Soyoung has been kind enough to take over her schedules and well, she’s pretty much a workaholic.

 

Bomi has been the same old, running around and assisting other doctors. But today, she’s rushing into the emergency room after hearing news that Naeun was spotted. She can’t help but to always have a near heart attack. She’s always praying that it is nothing but a simple injury. Hoping that it will never be like that day where she was rolled into the lobby, blood all over.

 

“Thank ing god!” The nurse sighed so loudly that patients almost stared at her weirdly. Naeun noticed her and couldn’t help but to laugh. “Sorry, did I scare you?” The woman chuckled in reply, watching Bomi bend over her knees as she caught her breath.

 

“I thought you were injured or something!”

 

“How did you even know that I was here?”

 

“Oh, uh…Yerin told me!”

 

“I see.” Naeun chuckled. “My team members got injured, not me.”

 

“Right, you got assigned to a new team since Chorong is under therapy. But still, thanks for coming. It’s been awhile since we last saw each other. I mean, you don’t even reply my texts anymore.”

 

“Sorry. I’ve been really busy, Bomi.”

 

“I understand. I just…miss the days when you were not as busy.”

 

But Bomi doesn’t know that it’s all a lie.

 

Naeun was doing this on purpose, to further distance herself from the nurse. She’s doing this because she does not want to hurt Bomi anymore. She wants her to be happy without having to know the hurtful feelings of rejection.

 

“Maybe when Chorong is back in action, things will get better. Oh, they’re done.” Naeun turned around as the curtains were pushed open, a girl shyly walked out with an eye patch followed by a boy whose head was wrapped in bandages. “Wow, they are all so young.” Bomi stared at them speechless.

 

It’s scary how The Onyx has hired young children to be part of this dark, dangerous world. They are really betting everything that they can, manipulating these kids into killing others and changing their futures.

 

“This is Kang Mina and that’s Na Jaemin.”

 

The children bowed awkwardly, growing silent as they weren’t sure how to respond to Bomi. Indeed, they were brooded simply to do missions and nothing more. Interaction with the outside world was something so…odd and strange to do.

 

“Have to go now. See you, Bomi.”

 

“Yeah, see you, Naeun.” The nurse waved and watched Naeun take the children out of the Seven Life. She can’t help but to feel really disturbed that kids at that age, were out shooting and killing people. It sends shivers down her spine of the reality, the dark reality of the Onyx.

 

To Bomi, Naeun is a beautiful woman with such a pure heart. Yet, she wanted to lie to herself into thinking that Naeun is just that. She wanted to erase the fact that Naeun has blood on her hands and is a contributing result of the increasing crimes in the country.

 

Maybe having a girlfriend like Naeun…would be a risky choice and honestly, Bomi doesn’t’ know what to feel. She’s gotten over the fact that Naeun never realized her Spotify playlist that was arranged in a confession. And maybe, she’s slowly giving up on this hopeless one-sided relationship that never bore fruits to success.

 

Maybe she’s just looking at the wrong place. And maybe…she should just move on.

 

Beep!

 

“Hey! I have one spot for a blind date tonight. Are you up for the call?”

 

It was as if it was fated. Bomi looked at the message and gulped. Perhaps, she and Naeun were never meant to be. She should take the opportunities that are lying in front of her, instead of chasing after a hopeless one.

 

“Sign me up.”

 

The nurse replied and put her phone back into the pocket, walking off as she continued her nurse duties. Tonight, will change.

 

She’s going to start a fresh, she’s going to become a different person and no longer linger on these feelings that will never be returned.

 

“By the way, don’t pair me up with a guy. You know that I’m head over heels for woman.”

 

Beep!

 

“Of course! I’m your friend of 15 years Bomi! How about this one?”

 

Bomi tapped onto the picture, carefully zooming into the profile. She is pretty. But still not as pretty as Naeun. Even so, she will give it a try.

 

“She’s hot! As expected, you are amazing Haru!”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

Casually leaning against the boxing ring, Eunji’s playing with the gloves, pulling it apart and twirling it around. Her mind has drifted off into the day she first sparred with Chorong. It was during their sweet, sweet honeymoon, although, she’s going to erase the fact that they got attacked afterwards but whatever.

 

The speed, movement and quick reflexes. Those quickened, short breaths and sticky heat in that moment. It still brings flutters to her heart.

 

If only…

 

Doctor Jung jumped back into reality upon hearing footsteps climbing up the staircase. Straightening her back and randomly stretching her body, it’s like her body automatically knew what to do. Maybe it’s because she remembered how Chorong used to say that she loved seeing her build, that she fell so deep in her structure that sometimes, she would steal a chance to pinch her …and maybe do something a bit more.

 

So maybe…just maybe…Eunji was hoping that Chorong would show signs of interest upon seeing her like that. But she seemed unfazed. Eyes only focusing on her, eyes blinded on one goal.

 

“Just one round, Doctor.” Chorong said, sliding into the boxing ring as she didn’t say anything else. Not a word about Eunji’s “marvelous” body, not a word about “how good she looked”. Nothing.

 

“Hey, you need to stretch at least.” Eunji climbed in, trying hard to hide her rejected emotions swirling inside her chest. It’s heavy, it’s painful but she’s grown immune to it. She’s gotten used to the constant rejection and ignorance from her wife who has amnesia.

 

“Already did. Let’s go.”

 

“Alright.” Eunji mumbled, wearing the boxing gloves and getting into position. She’s planning to go super easy because she’s sure that Chorong isn’t fit enough to move swiftly- oh yikes! The woman barely dodges a quick swing punch. They are angry, powerful swings…and Eunji doesn’t know why she’s suddenly putting her everything.

 

But she likes it.

 

It reminds her so much of the Chorong that she knows. That fire, that energy, it’s so familiar and it makes Eunji want to take the spar more seriously. So, she does. She takes the chance and suddenly, they are exchanging blows. Doctor Jung still hasn’t lost touch, even though she hasn’t fought in a long time. Left slaps, right creases, turns and pushes. Oh yeah, Eunji missed this so much.

 

There’s surprise written all over Chorong’s eyes. She’s definitely underestimated the doctor but that doesn’t give her any reason to go easy.

 

“Come on. Charge at me, Chorong.”

 

The woman does as she’s told but Eunji caught her. Grabbing her wrist and locking her leg between the ankles, the woman twists Chorong around and pinned her to the ground. Knees trapped within, heads facing directly at each other, exchanging glances…wait. This seems really familiar.

 

They’ve done something like this before and it’s sending the doctor’s heart dancing away.

 

Would Chorong’s heart beat the same?

 

Short, heavy breaths and sweat trickling down their foreheads, Eunji has her all her weight on Chorong. She can clearly see Chorong’s flexed muscles stretching out from the sweaty tank top and gosh…that’s just hot as hell. Eunji is already trying her hardest to hold back and…she’s surprised that Chorong hasn’t pushed her back yet.

 

“You don’t seem to be pushing me off yet, Chorong.”

 

“I want to ask you something…Doctor.”

 

“…What?” Eunji breathed, eyes locked onto these beautiful orbs that she hasn’t seen in a long time. She missed them, she missed this very moment, just being in her touch.

 

“Why…why did you lie to me?” There is an irritated tone and it’s obvious that Chorong’s a little angry. Her eyebrows are frowning and there is a firm gaze locked onto the doctor. It leaves Eunji flustered, “L-Lie?”, she widened her eyes in confusion.

 

And that took her off guard.

 

Chorong slithered her leg around the woman, grabbed her shoulders and turned her around. This time, she’s on top and there’s nothing Eunji can do against that.

 

She’s just frozen…in surprise, in awe…god, her biggest weakness is right in front of her. Trapped in her embrace, in her tight hold and control. Eunji’s staring at her with an airless gasp, watching the light trace Chorong’s figure line. That hot breath of air evaporating into the distance, sweat sliding down her crafted shoulders as it glistened in the white light…Eunji just fell in love all over again.

 

“You like me, don’t you?” Chorong breathed, refusing to get off the woman until she gets the answer. “…If I said yes…what would you do…?” The doctor replied carefully, somewhat scared of her answer. She’s scared that she’s going to reject her. She’s scared that their relationship is just going to go downhill and it might become awkward.

 

But instead, Chorong replies with nothing but one word. “This.” And suddenly, the woman firmly grabbed onto Eunji’s collar and pulled her right into her warm lips. It’s a kiss that’s soft yet feisty and hungry. It’s a ticket to heaven, a perfect seat in cloud nine and Eunji can’t help herself anymore.

 

Leaning slightly upwards, the doctor cupped the woman’s cheeks and positioned herself better, diving her tongue in gradually. Damn, she’s been longing for this, yearning for this, for such a goddamn long ing time. She’s misses her Chorong so much that…it’s finally happening.

 

Chorong hasn’t lost her touch. She still remembers how to kiss, exactly where they left off: the same way Doctor Jung taught her. Hands sliding thorough her cheeks, fingers firmly holding tight, a slow, careful momentum as she takes her time exploring, it’s totally Chorong’s style of kissing.

 

The love of her life, is back.

 

“Tell me everything now. What are we, really?” Chorong asked, taking a breather as she retracted. Her face has ballooned into a bright red blush in the heat. Eunji’s favourite tomato. “Well, you’re my wife.” The doctor can’t help but to grin brightly, noticing a gasp escaping from the woman’s mouth. “Wow. We’ve gone that far already?”

 

“Yeah.” Eunji nodded. “Although it gets a bit complicated but, yes, we’re married and I am totally in love with you. Hundred percent.” She’s so relieved. Her chest is erupting inside with all of these complicated feelings that spell nothing but love. Everything that she has kept inside for those long, gruesome seven months are slowly escaping its locked chambers.

 

“That explains.” Chorong replied with a hum, that leaves Eunji dumbfounded. “Huh?”

 

“I was wondering why you were taking such great interest and care in me. It all made sense now.”

 

“But…but what about you? You didn’t seem to even show any signs of-“

 

Chorong smirked. “I’m good at hiding my feelings, doctor.”

 

That playful tone, now, that is new.

 

Eunji hasn’t never seen that before and honestly, she doesn’t mind. She loves it. She’s suddenly a whole new person, confident, playful…a little different from the shy, adorable Chorong, but she loves both sides.

 

“Damn. I was fooled.” The doctor scoffed, somewhat speechless because she doesn’t know how to respond to her “new” wife who is a little different in personality.

 

“Sorry. But at least, I finally have the answer. And it was better than I expected.” Chorong smiled in relief. “I am starting to remember more things. More of the times I spent with you Eunji…and I can feel it beating inside here.” She said, placing her palm on her chest. “But…I just wish that you could’ve just told me sooner.”

 

“No…” Eunji shook her head with a sad smile. “I should’ve told you the moment you woke up. I was just being…a coward. I was just overthinking a lot and, in the end, I chose to suffer alone. It was…honestly painful but that’s okay.” The doctor caressed Chorong’s cheek. “You came back to me anyway.”

 

“I did. I’m sorry Eunji. But this time, I’ll make it right.”

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“She-what?”

 

“Yeah, completely drunk and tipsy. I don’t know what the hell happened but you’re the best bet. Please come. You’re the only hope.” Namjoo said over the phone, somewhat struggling as she’s threatening Bomi to throw her outside on the streets if she continued blabbering nonsense.

 

“Alright. I’ll be over.”

 

“Who was that?”

 

“I’m sorry, Sojin. There’s a bit of a trouble. I’m afraid I will have to postpone the operation for tomorrow.” Naeun bowed in apology, as the woman nodded without much anger. She’s pretty chill, sitting on top of her high chair and twirling a camping knife between her fingers.

 

“That’s fine. You can do it tomorrow. After all, I don’t think I’ve really given you a proper break off anyway. Spend those hours well and return in eight hours.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Sojin threw the camping knife across as it hit the dart board at the far corner, right in the center. Inside this dirty, dark office, there’s documents scattered everywhere. There are guns sprawled onto the desks and a lighted cigarette between the woman’s teeth.

 

“It’s about time.”

 

It’s midnight, skies gone dark as a lady quietly walked into Seven Life, clad in her usual all-black attire as her eyes immediately land on the loudest person in the lobby. She’s pretty much collapsed onto the chairs, face all blushed and clothes reeking of alcohol.

 

“What happened to her?”

 

“Heard she got dumped by her blind date.” Namjoo shrugged, shaking her head as she stared at her friend with disgust.

 

“Blind date?”

 

“I know, it’s really random of her to do that. I told her to stay away from her friend, Haru because all she does is go out onto nightclubs and stuff. But then again, you’re probably more dangerous than her.” The nurse scoffed, switching glances to Naeun. “Anyways, you’re taking her home.”

 

“Me?”

 

“You guys are besties, right? Probably know her home better than me. Go on, I have a graveyard shift today so I don’t have time.” Namjoo yawned, gently nudging Naeun as she walked away, passing all of her responsibilities to the black lady.

 

The said woman heaved a sigh. Well, Namjoo didn’t lie. She’s been to Bomi’s house before, it’s actually pretty near Seven Life and a little run-down. A novice thief could easily break in anyway. And so, with a grunt, Naeun piggybacked her drunk friend and walked out, trying to remember the way back home.

 

Heavy, slow steps onto the stone pathway, the two are passing through a park which Naeun clearly remembers that it is part of the route. She hopes to reach Bomi’s house quick because the smell of alcohol is close to making her puke.

 

“Naeun…is that…you?”

 

“Yeah. It’s me.”

 

The woman doesn’t know whether Bomi is even conscious or just blabbering again, but Naeun decides to listen and perhaps, make small conversation.

 

“Hehe…” Bomi smiled with glee. “I knew it. Because I remember your smell. You smell really nice; don’t you know that? Like out of all the women I’ve met…damn…you smell different.”

 

“What are you, a dog?” Naeun scoffed, shaking her head as she is pretty sure that her friend is talking nonsense. “Why did you drink, Bomi? You can’t even finish a can of beer. Is everything okay?”

 

“No. It’s not.”

 

Naeun halted her steps.

 

“It’s not because…no matter how many times I work so hard on something…no one sees it. She never sees it. She has no idea, Naeun. And maybe I should give up. But I hate how I still want to believe in this lie. This lie of her loving me back.”

 

It doesn’t take an idiot to understand what Bomi was trying to convey. Naeun knows. Or rather, she’s been trying to hide it for a really long time. In fact, she’s never really told the truth and she’s honestly…scared.

 

The woman stays there for a little longer, hearing Bomi slowly succumbing to sleep and her soft, little breaths caressing her ears. She begins to wonder, if she should start opening her heart once again. If she should stop walking in the steps of her past, and instead, make her own future…with someone.

 

Should she bet on love once again?

 

Approaching Bomi’s tiny apartment and successfully managing to put the woman in bed, Naeun just plans to leave immediately because she doesn’t want to dwell on her private things. She’s only been there a couple times, to drink tea and well…stay around to watch Bomi do her various hobbies that she eventually gives up within a week. Naeun calls it a 1-day determination.

 

Just as she’s about to reach for the door, Naeun’s eyes fall on a little piece of note stuck on the fridge. It’s a bunch of scribbles lumped together, with dashes and slashes:

 

Tell her. Don’t tell her. Tell her. Don’t tell her. Tell her.

Don’t tell her.

 

It just suddenly hits her. How she’s the reason that Bomi’s suffering so much. Because of these lies, these fake thoughts of being the dumb one, pretending to not catch the obvious signs of Bomi’s attempts to confess. She’s the one making her sick.

 

And now, Naeun has her answer.

 

Out in the same park, Naeun is taking a quiet stroll to clear her thoughts. She never thought meddling with human affairs would be this complicated. It’s a lot to take in, and it’s much harder than going on missions where there was just one goal: to kill. But now, it’s different. She has to make it worth, to make Bomi understand that this is all her fault.

 

In the midst of this silence, Naeun’s ears pick up the steps of someone’s feet, landing into a pile of dry leaves. It’s autumn, a little cold and in this season, in this late hour, the woman meets this figure, whom she hasn’t seen in a really long time.

 

Or rather, she’s been thinking about her, on and off. Wondering where she has been, wondering if she’s just dead…but no, the very sight confirmed it.

 

“Hayoung…?”

 

“Unnie.”

 

Just as Naeun’s about to run up and pull her in a hug, Hayoung pushes her away. “Hey…” It leaves her flustered. “Sorry. I just wanted to say goodbye for one last time.” The woman looked away. There’s something wrong with her. The tone. The look. Something’s different.

 

“Last time? Hayoung…what’s wrong? I have so much to say but…you look different. You’ve gotten thinner…you…”

 

“I’m sorry, Naeun.” Hayoung said, tears welling up in her eyes as she finally managed the courage to stare at her long-time friend.

 

“Hayoung, what are you-!”

 

“I’m really…really sorry.” The woman choked, hot tears rushing down her cheeks as she stabbed a blade right into Naeun’s stomach, blood immediately gushing out of her skin.

 

“H…Hayoung…”

 

Thud!

 

 

--

 

A/N: Oh no, one couple finds happiness and the other doesn't. Hayoung, just what in the world has gotten into you? Let's all wipe our tears away, Chorong is back! and into Eunji's arms! uwu kudos to our MVP Naeun for delivering the package but now...our poor girl has been stabbed by her own partner in crime. *gasps*  Stay tuned to the upcoming updates as the story progresses onto a deeper scale! Once again, thank you for waiting patiently and reading! ^^