Algorithm

SEOUL CYBERCITY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

S E O U L    C Y B E R C I T Y

CHAPTER 9:

ALGORITHM

 

“You’re not my daughter” My jaw initially dropped open upon hearing those words. I swallowed a cold lump in my throat as I search for the truth in his eyes, and as I did, I inhaled sharply. No wonder he’s been a ty father—because I wasn’t his daughter all along. Then whose kid am I? 

 

 

“I think this will be easier with a bottle of soju or two,” He said as he offered me a weak smile. Did my father just ask me to drink with him? I stayed silent as I followed him back to the car. We then drove to the nearest bar—I thought he wasn’t serious about drinking!

 

 

“I can’t go there. My records would be tainted” My father eyed me with suspicion in his eyes—okay, so I’ve been drinking, but only at home. Kai used to sneak in with some soju and crackers, then we’d drink—but that’s that. 

 

 

“Seoul Cybercity’s most sought after criminal… The Undergrnd’s number one target for assassination—and you’re afraid that your records would be tainted?” I frowned as my eyes deadpanned. Though he has a point. He walked in carelessly leaving me all alone. 

 

 

I sigh escaped my lips as I looked back at the government issued vehicle. I wonder who the driver is… and why he/she isn’t joining us. With leaden steps, I walked after my father. As I entered, a neon pink hallway welcomed me and it stretches up to 10 meters. 

 

 

 

Soon enough, I joined my father inside—and it’s not like the usual bars that I see online or watch in historical drama’s. This place looks chill as fck and there are only a few people in it—is this really even a bar? Where are the grinding girls and the hot boys you can lose your ity with? 

 

 

“Long ago, bars have been famous with the young ones. But when Seoul became a Cybercity, everyone’s been acting cautiously. Everyone got so fixated with the fact that they don’t want to taint their records, hence bars like this one ended up being deserted and forgotten” My father said as we walked to the VIP section of the bar. The bouncer and my dad just exchanged nods as we helped ourselves in. 

 

 

Moments after we got inside the VIP section, drinks and food are brought upon us. I poured my father a drink, as he did on my glass. According to the historical drama’s I’ve watched before, It’s common etiquette that you should always pour a drink at the elders or anyone you’re with when your drinking—and that you should let them do the same on your glass. 

 

 

“To Seoul Cybercity!” he exclaimed as he raised his glass. I mimicked his movements and as I did, he clinked his glass to mines. I hovered the glass to my mouth and sipped down the soju. A burning sensation filled my throat as I finished it one go. 

 

 

“That’s enough alcohol for you, young lady.” He said as he took his own shot… again, he didn’t call me by my name. I winced as I stuffed in some fishcakes on my mouth. 

 

 

“You’re not my daughter” He repeated once again as he drank from the bottle itself. 

 

 

“You’re not my daughter—but” I knit my brows closely together as I wait for what he was about to say next. He stopped midway and drank from the bottle again. 

 

 

“But?” I asked impatiently. My father looked at me with weariness in his eyes. For ’s sake just tell me already. 

 

 

“You—” again, he was cut short as the door flew open. 

 

 

“I miscalculated. They’re going to arrive in less than a minute—I’ve found an escape route—but I need to stay here and create a diversion” She said with her eyes wide in panic. My father dropped the bottle as he reached for my wrist. My eyes went back to her as my dream echoed in my head. 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter