Sixteen

SEOUL CYBERCITY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

S E O U L    C Y B E R C I T Y

CHAPTER 6:

16

 

 

The door clicked behind me as I stepped inside— I felt my chest clenched as an overwhelming whiteness dominated my view. I roamed my eyes around only to see that the room was empty. I turned to the door and tried opening it but it’s locked. The click sound I heard from earlier must’ve administered the lock. 

 

 

I swallowed a cold lump in my throat as walked to the other side. I trailed my hand at the walls as I made my way, and as I did I felt a sudden surge of electricity run through me—though the voltage wasn’t high. I cursed under my breath as the static subsided. 

 

 

Council meeting my —If I knew better, they’ll probably just electrocute me, the shock alone would kill me. Me being dead would be a win-win situation for them. I’d be ticked off from the UNDRGRND’s assassination pool—and after that, they’d deliver my body to the cyber police, since I’m wanted dead or alive. They’d be getting a lot of money after my death… Great. 

 

 

At least after that, I’d be able to see Krystal again… 

 

 

I exhaled exasperatedly as I sat on the floor. I’m facing the door as I tucked my knees in. Another sigh came unwelcomed as I slumped my head on my knees. I can’t help but wonder what went through Krystal’s head as she was dying. I held myself tighter as memories came flooding in.

 

 

We were 16 when it happened—Krystal’s death. I was at home alone—doing my usual research when a loud knock came in. As I opened the door, Kai stood before me. In his arms was a lifeless Krystal. My throat went dry at the sight of them covered in blood in the dirt. Krystal’s arms dangled in motion as Kai went inside. Her eyes were both wide open despite her lifeless state. 

 

 

“Krystal we’re here… You wanted to see her again right?” Kai cooed as he cradled Krystal on his arms. My cheeks suddenly went damp as tears started pooling down. Kai sat on the day bed with Krystal on his arms. I kneeled in front as my hand went to her face. I swatted away the hair on her face as I in some air. 

 

 

“Hey…” I said as another treacherous tear ran down my cheek. After that sobs and cuss-filled my apartment. The afternoon sun shone on her crestfallen face as my other hand reached for Kai’s. For a moment, a blue orb rounded up on her left eye pupil—My mind must’ve been playing tricks on me. 

 

 

Minutes after, medical staffs and cyber police went storming in my apartment to retrieve her. Kai protested with all his might to not give her up, but the cyber police and the medical staffs prevailed. A portion of medical staffs immediately left the moment they got their hands on her, though some of the medical staffs stayed to tend to Kai’s wounds too. The Cyber Police looked for my guardian to get an affidavit but my father wasn’t around when it happened—they can’t question me and Kai since we’re both underage, and there’s a clause at every cybercity that you can never question a child without a present guardian. 

 

 

When all of them finally left, my apartment fell into complete silence. Kai was sleeping on my bed with his knees tucked closely to his chest. His face was tearstained as he went to a deep slumber and when he woke up it was already late noon. 

 

 

“I need to go,” He said in a quiet voice as he propped himself up. I stared at him in solemnity as I wait for an explanation of what I witnessed earlier. My heart ached at each breath I take… I’ve always thought that one day, I’d be the maid of honor on their wedding day—despite my secret longing for Kai. But that one day won’t be coming anymore. A single tear escaped my eye a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter