Friends for Ever

The Time of Our Lives

The senior year of high school was finally over.

Mark wanted to be able to shout to the four winds that he got rid of that hell he used to call school and finally got his graduation, but he restrained himself and he began to admire the almost deserted landscape by the window of the car, reflecting everything that happened in those three years for his life, how he got to what he is today, the friends he made and all. But his thoughts were interrupted by two scandalous laughs from the backseat belonging to Jinyoung and Youngjae.

 

"Guys, please, not so loud." Jaebum, who was driving his own car, said looking in the rearview mirror a little tired, even though it was a forty-minute trip counting the stops he seemed to be more tired than ever, with the laugh from the back everything got a little worse.

 

The younger ones crouched half guilty and began to whisper to each other, letting out a few giggles as if they were two children sharing a silly secret that adults could never know. Later on, they could see and hear Jackson's car from behind, which also carried the two younger friends of the group, with an extremely high reggae, changing the track to the next entrance, finally getting near Mark's house.

At the beginning, he had made the decision to go in the Chinese's car, since his was in at the mecanic shop with some sort of a engine problem, but after a stop that Mark forced them to do after fifteen minutes of getting off the main road saying he needed to take a 'bathroom stop", he changed to Jaebum's car, thinking there was silent, it was except for the attacks of Youngjae's sudden laughter infecting Jinyoung. But it was better than having to listen loud music and Bambam voice cracking every now and then.

He tossed on the passenger seat a little further and took advantage of indie music from the playlist Jinyoung had created for the ride, and the air conditioning at the low setting, drifted off to sleep with Im's humming.

 

(...)

 

"Markie ..."

 

The sound started low as a whisper, something that reminded Mark of his mother trying to wake him up in the morning to go to school.

 

"Mark!"

 

The voice grew louder, but not enough to make him wake up, after all the position he tried, he found lying on the seat comfortable enough to make anyone relax really well. Suddenly the brunette felt something pinching his face, when he opened his eyes to see what it was, he faced with Jackson smiling at him, indeed, could even feel the heat of the other's breath on his face. He was too close, jesus christ.

 

"But what-" Mark panicked, trying to merge with the bank because of the approach the other had. He got up, pushing the smaller one to look around where they were, since the car was apparently parked.

"We're here! The others are already inside." Jackson pointed his thumb at the house behind him. "They did not want to wake you up, even if it was your house, but Jae said you left the key with Jinyoung, at that everybody followed the life and went inside, right, I already chose our room ... "

 

Mark looked at his friend who was still talking rampantly, still emerging from his sleepy state, started to get out of the car, ignoring the part that Jackson said about choosing the room for them. He could smell the heavy maritime scent in the air. He arrived at his family beach house indeed. 

As he set eyes on the house he and his friends would spend a week, he was surprised, his mother said she would renovate the house just a little bit, but in the end the house was left unrecognizable, really, Mrs. Tuan has to be congratulated when he come back. The house was of a rustic style, had a yellow paint on the walls, not very strong thou and a garden adapted to that climate just at the entrance, it looked stunning. The front door was dark wood as were the windows. Jackson started pulling him inside as he said something about having already picked up his best friend's stuff.

 

"The house looked really pretty, I remember coming back here at the summer recess when we were fifteen... Good times" Jackson said as he crossed the living room to throw himself on the big, soft couch along with Yugyeom who was using his phone not minding his surroundings.

"Mark, you did not say you had a beach mansion!" Bambam emphasized the word mansion, entering the room. "I was hoping to sleep in hammocks at the yard,you know, not in a huge, air-conditioned bedroom with big beds."He looked around impressed by the wealth of the beach house.

 

The American did not even bother with Bambam's comments, he thought it was funny how the other dramatized everything, like the first time the whole group went to his house. The Thai was outraged, saying that when he lost a bet with the American, had to pay his lunch for a week, and Mark could have bought the entire restaurant of his family and still have money left to buy a new car for the whole group. As always Bambam got too carried away.

 

"What do you think we decide to divide the rooms? " Jinyoung closed little chat they were havin, taking the lead on the decisions and standing up to get everyone's attention.

 

The brunette had lost some of his formality, but on occasions like this, it would come back, the perks of being the school vice-president for two years straight. The owner of the house did not seem to care about the other taking over the decision making part. If it were up to Mark, he would throw sheets on the living room floor and everyone would sleep there. Thankfully they had Park Jinyoung in the group.

 

"So we do not have rooms for everyone, but I don't think it will be a problem." Mark joined the two-seat couch where Youngjae was.

"We'll go like this: Jackson and Mark, because otherwise you'd do a show." He pointed at the Chinese, who rested his head on Kim's shoulder and fumbled on his cell phone. "The younger ones get together and I share one with JB."

"Jinyoungiee ..." Yugyeom's exceedingly shrewd voice caught everyone's attention, even if that was't the real intention. The pair that was the true definition of love and hate, exchanged quick glances and not so discreet. "

"Change of plans." Park seemed to remember something. "Jae's staying with Mark and Jacks."

 

Everyone looked at the scene rather puzzlingly, and Mark had the impression that Youngjae didn't like being thrown into another room like a fish being thrown to another salesman. However, the American didn't bother. He smiled at his friend, reassuring him it was fine he staying with both. All made the chinise man to look up from his phone to start a whole full speech for that, but Jinyoung cut him not even letting him start, what was said was said, no changes. 

 

"Before I forget." Mark started. "We're going to need to go to the market, I don't think we have the frigde full." The market was not that far, but everyone sighed tiredly at having to leave the house again and face the heat of thirty-five degrees in the shade.

"Ah, let me go." Park got ready again by taking the keys to Jaebum's car, which was lying lazily in the armchair and even dozing off. "Jae, will you come with me?" The other shrugged and stood up silently agreeing to go.

"I want to go too!" Yugyeom left the couch so fast that Jackson missed his support and fell on his face, complaining right away, but no one wanted to pay attention, he was a drama queen after all.

"Alright..." Jinyoung was surprised by the younger man's attitude, but he deduced that he wanted to say something the other couldn't listen.

 

As soon as the three of them left, after Mark gave coordinates of where the nearest market was, the rest took the luggage to the rooms. Bambam complaining about how Yugyeom brought only a small handbag to spend a week, and that it would freak out if he was in his best friend's place how would he choose just two outfits? That something outrageous for him and his four bags full of clothing and skin care products.

Mark and Jackson, now Youngjae too, were left with the largest room in the house, since the house belonged to the American's family and they would stay with three people. He used the size of the room as justification for Jinyoung to have put Choi along with them, so the Chinese stopped talking and complaining about sharing the room, even though he knew that younger dark haired man wanted to be alone with Jaebum he just accept being with Mark and Jackson.

 

"Jacks, you want to stop insisting on that. And I thought you liked Jae. "He expected the other to say, " I just do not like it when he's between us,"  but he just heard a grunt and left MArk without a reply. The conversation was ended like that. 

 

(...)

 

Inside the market, air-conditioning disguised the infernal heat outside. Jinyoung had not made a shopping list, so he was kind of lost in what to do and what to buy. He then asked Youngjae to go through the frozen section and try to call Mark, to ask what he needed to buy. Instead of sending Yugyeom pick up some goodies, he interrupted everything, saying he had something very important to ask.

 

"So... is that..." The giant child tried to find the right words, he seemed to forget how he pronounced them. Jinyoung really wanted to help the other, but he began to run out of patience because he had more important things to do and food to buy.

"Yug, what is it? . We need to get back before nightfall. "Park held two packages of marshmallows as he looked boredly at the redhead, leaning on the cart as if he were doing something productive.

"It's just that I don't know how to say this..." He noticed that his face was almost the same color as his hair, and he was worried, but not very much, that he was almost having a heart attack.

 

When it seemed that he was able to pronounce something cohesive, Youngjae appeared with several packages of frozen food, pouring everything in the cart.

 

"Mark said to buy some things to bake. They thought of making a bonfire later on." Choi barely noticed that he had just interrupted a subject that had not even begun. "What were you talking about?" He smiled in their direction, being the sunshine he was.

"Yugyeom was learning how to speak. Wanna see it?" As Jinyoung didn't wind up but he was running low on the patience, he said shortly to shorten their afternoon there, after all the plans did not say anything to spend his afternoon at the market.

"I can talk!" It was too easy to annoy Yugyeom. "I just wanted to ask how I can ask for Bambam out!" When he realized that he was able to talk without stammering, he wanted to cut a hole in the ground and hide there forever.

 

As neither Park nor Choi expected anything like this, the shock expressions were impossible to control, that was enough for the red-eyed whine in shame. Jinyoung had not had much experience with boys and one of the few was with Jaebum, but nothing very intimate or serious to know what to say or even what to do.

 

"Do you like Bambam?" Jinyoung asked, still trying to recover.

"It was kind of obvious to me." Youngjae said as if it was nothing.

"Have you always been this open? I didn't expect it..." He ignored Park and got his attention to what Choi had to say.

"I just observed, you always talking with Bambam, even with the bickering you two have, you guys are always together, as well as looking like you live together."

"Ok then go tell it all. I want to know this." The black haired and older man pulled the cart out of the other's hands and guided the meat section.

 

Yugyeom told everything he liked about Bambam and when he realized that he liked him more as a friend. Jinyoung admired the young man's courage to be able to open like that just after a push. He was embarrassed when he asked if they had ever fallen in love and if that feeling was normal. You could tell that Youngjae had the same reaction as him. Kim, not waiting for an answer, he continued. 

When they finished getting everything they needed in half an hour, they headed for the cashier. The cart full of things would give the attendant a hard time. In the narrow corridor, there was a small stand of strawberry milk on sale. Jinyoung quickly thought of Jaebum and his favorite drink. He took out five little boxes.

He noticed Youngjae looking toward the drink too, and wondered mentally if he also liked it, but he let it pass as he turned his face toward the woman who asked the way of payment.

Strawberry milk seemed to be something created exclusively for Im Jaebum, he thought. 

 

(...)

 

"Seriously, Yugyeom, give it next time you stay!"

 

From the inside, it was possible to hear the discussion of the others who came back from the market. Jaebum and Jackson volunteered to help, although the Chinese more rummaged through the bags in search of something tasty to eat than helping out. Jinyoung passed the boys scattered around the room like a hurricane, almost carrying them along.

When they saw that they had many bags, they all went to the car. Yugyeom ran past the door before Mark and Bambam could cross it. They came face to face with a Youngjae carrying more things than his body could hold. Always with a smile adorning your face, never complaining about anything, what a sunshine. The American wanted to squeeze his cheeks, but he restrained himself by remembering that they were not alone.

Gathered together in the kitchen, they worked as a production conveyor. They found it funny how, suddenly, Yugyeom seemed to do everything Jinyoung asked. Mark was busy picking up groceries from Jackson, who were just sitting on a bench, serving as a bridge to the things Bambam was delivering from the bags. On some occasions, his fingers touched, remembering that the American's passion for the blonde was still alive.

 

"After all, what happened on the market?" Jaebum, too close to Jinyoung, could feel the aura of vengeance that hovered between him and the younger one.

"Yug made me and Jae look like fools at the market." Park breathed heavily before continuing. "He wanted to push the cart, and I let him. But then he wanted to be a pilot out of nowhere, hanging on it and running around. He ended up knocking on a shelf with glasses of olive oil. "

 

Mark did not even need to peek because he knew Jinyoung was giving his best look of judment to the poor Yugyeom. The others held their laughter, did not want to act like the children who laughed at their younger brother, when he receiving a scolding from his mother. The only one who seemed not to be afraid of danger was Youngjae, who laughed as if he were reviewing the scene in front of him.

 

"Jinyoung almost killed the Yug just with a look." He paused to catch his breath. "We had to pay for all those broken glasses. Of course Jinyoung took care of that part. "He had fun while carefully folding the little bags into triangles.

"I thought it was great, because we were not going to clean it up. Literally, it was so messy and oilly." That's when no one else could keep holding back the laughter. Jinyoung could say that it would not help, but most knew he was just acting as his responsible role in the group. He would be the first to lend support even to Yugyeom.

 

They were arranging things to make a bonfire and a barbecue, which were just sticking thing to cook in the fire later, they went out into the well-flowery garden, which Mark's mother paid weekly for a gardener to take care of the plants, and laid everything on the picnic table there. The view was incredible. The back of the house was practically deserted, the night fell gradually, sprinkling the sky with stars, leaving everything more magical.

Jackson named himself the official barbecue griller of the group, but from time to time, he was spotted by someone, asking for help from Bambam. Mark made it clear to Youngjae on the phone that it wasn't to buy alcohol, he assured him that it would all be more fun if they were sober. Then they contented themselves with the red-fruit juice that Jinyoung prepared.

 

"Do you know what would be so nice? A vodka," Yugyeom said, sitting on a rock and looking at the glass of his red juice.

"Do you know what would be so nice? You keep quiet, "Jinyoung snapped back in the husky voice Kim usually uses, pushing him with the right hand.

"Guys, let's not fight." Mark said from the picnic table, setting the tray with saltine on it.

"Ah, okay, said the guy who almost threw a bottle of drink at a boy at that party. "Jackson said laughingly, stopping what he did to heed the conversation.

"He was an !" Mark defended himself.

"And the time you threw a shoe at me?" Bambam said.

"Okay, you deserve it."

 

They began to remember funny stories around the fire. Some sat on the ground and others on mats, but everyone laughed as if there were only them in the world. The homemade barbecue spits on hand in case some wild animal attacked, something that Jackson and Yugyeom were properly prepared with two spikes in each hand.

The night cooled gradually, and Bambam had the idea of getting some blankets for his friends. Jaebum ended up sharing his with Jinyoung, as if to complain about the work of fate, as he used to call it. Mark snuggled up beside Jackson, who kept moving, and every time he could warm his legs completely, his best friend pulled the fabric and he got cold again.

At a glance, he could see that Jaebum and Jinyoung were holding hands under the cloth, and he was envious. He wanted to be able to be with Jackson just like that as well, but it seemed like an impossible task to keep him from moving around. He noticed Choi gazing subtly at his two friends and Mark imagined he wanted to be Park at times like this, and be able to enjoy Jaebum presence.

He left Jackson with the blanket and sat down next to Youngjae, who understood the reason for his action and willingly accepted Mark's warm, soft hand. He wanted to be able to say something, but it was interrupted by Yugyeom's voice, which made the other boys stay still as well.

 

"You know, guys, you are the best thing that ever happened to me."

 

They made a sweet and cuddly sound together. They knew the youngest was the most sentimental one, but they were not ready for times like this. Bambam hugged him from the side and knew very well what Yugyeom was talking about and knew that he was ready to tell a little bit of his past to his friends.

 

"I just walked around with the wrong people, whom I did not even know if I could call them friends. So you came and made my life much better than it was." He held his tears to the fullest, but he did not mind crying in front of his friends."I must also say that I have always been surrounded by people, but few who cared enough about me. The point is, no matter where we'll be in the future, I'm sure at some point we'll meet again and live the moment as if it had not happened. "

 

He stared at Mark, who was staring at the floor, trying not to cry. "I think everyone knows that I'm going back to China after summer, but I want you not to worry, we'll find a way to get together at the end e-AAAHH ..."

 

The heavy breaths from the nose that began to get congested were replaced by laughter as Jackson had his speech stopped by a fly that flew toward his mouth and almost swallowed it as he spoke.

 

" , it was such a beautiful moment ..." He whimpered, returning to sit on the floor.

"I almost forgot." Jinyoung rose to Jaebum dislike and ran into the house. He returned seconds later with two packages that looked like fireworks.

 

He handed a package to Jackson and gave the other one to Im. "Look, those are allowed for children, Yug." He showed the redhead as if he were four and did not understand what that meant.

 

"Why do you think I bought these?" Park joked.

"Ahh, you two really love me," he said sulkily.

 

Each took one and lit on the fire. Mark and Youngjae had fun as if battling with wands, Jackson threatened to burn Yugyeom distracted with Bambam who acted like an Olympic gymnast. Jaebum took advantage and took his camera to have everything recorded.

He searched the not-so-large area for Park, and found him admiring the sea. He shouted his name so he could take a picture of him too. The teenager turned and realized what Jaebum wanted. The camera, adjusted for the movements of lights, captured the exact moment when Jinyoung drew a heart in front of him with the bright spot that came out of one of the fires that lit up and gave the best smile that Im could witness.

 

(...)

 

Each one went to their room on the second floor, and Jackson would almost sleep peacefully, were it not for the presence of a being in his room and Mark's. The room was the only one with a double bed, so whether you wanted it or not, you had to share it. The American occupied the middle, he liked to sleep on the edge more, but taking the circumstances, he preferred to avoid a third world war.

Youngjae came out of the bathroom wrapped in the towel and acted as if he were alone in the room. Jackson was looking at everything with his mouth open, not wanting to think about the possibility of Mark staring at the other's body. Mark, on the other hand, did not even bother, there was nothing new that he had not seen or touched there.

He imagined Jackson's reaction to the carnal involvement the two had, but he feared that his best friend would fight with him and stopping talking with him all together. Then, for the moment, he laughed at the thought of the Chinese stuttering and then fainting. He felt a movement at his side and moved  to get closer to Jackson.

 

"What do you think about getting a little closer to Jae having a space here?" Choi stared at the foot of the bed the best friends talking.

"If you have a space problem, I'll sleep on the floor, no problem," Youngjae said, smiling nonchalantly.

"Do not worry, Jae, there's plenty of room here." He tapped the mattress where he would stand. "Jacks is going to move a little to the edge." He glared at the Chinese.

 

After a little show from Jackson, the three managed to settle into the king size bed. Despite the absolute silence, Mark's mind was in a shambling confusion. He tried not to think about the fact that he was between the boy he liked and the boy who had exchanged teenage experiences. They did not seem to notice, because they were already in seventh sleep.

 

He did everything to relax and what really helped him was being between the boy he liked and the boy who had exchanged teenage experiences.