CHAPTER 5

Cider and Honey

Jimin stretches his arms, cracking his neck. He hovers back over the textbooks laid out in front of him, willing the words to stick in his brain for once and make sense. It’s to no avail though, his mind is too preoccupied. An occurrence that’s been happening more often than not, especially within the past few weeks. 

Jimin can smell him before he sees him, doesn’t acknowledge the other boy as he pulls out the chair across from Jimin and sits down. The other sounds out of breath, like he’s been hurrying to get to this specific spot in the library that Jimin chose for himself, out in the open in front of everyone, not shielded behind shelves or in a hidden cranny. 

Just the way Jimin likes it. He likes studying in a room full of people. It keeps him motivated to be diligent with his studies, keeps him more apt to actually focus when he feels like there’s a room full of eyes staring at him.

But with the person currently sitting across from him, with the stare the other is leveling him with, he thinks it was probably the worst option he could have picked for today. 

Jimin gathers folds his books closed, puts papers in folders, and starts gathering his things into his bag. Hoseok grabs for his wrist, his grip tight on Jimin’s sleeved arm.

“Jimin I think we should talk.”

“Not right now, Hoseok. Later.”

Jimin wrenches his arm out of Hoseok’s hold and gets up from the table. He can feel Hoseok’s anger ripple through him, unbridled irritation showing through.

“No, Jimin, I want to talk now.” Hoseok grabs Jimin’s shoulder and turns him around, until they’re close, so close to one another. Jimin can sense the tension in Hoseok’s body, notices the way he’s controlling his breathing, always careful to not show his true emotions. Jimin can tell his calm facade is fading, though, cracking and crumbling.

It was bound to happen at some point. It’s been weeks since Jimin had broken down in Jungkook’s apartment, weeks since he’s actually had a proper conversation with Hoseok, the man he lives with, the man he’s been dating for two years. 

Jimin’s hardly spoken to Hoseok the past month, has barely spoken to anyone the past few weeks, his mind too full and crowded to make sense of anything, his wolf confused and agitated. And one of the reasons for that is standing right before him, wanting to have a conversation that Jimin isn’t quite sure he’s ready for. 

“What, you want to talk about this right now? Right here, in front of everyone?” Jimin asks, voice quiet. He takes a couple steps back from Hoseok, wanting to get some space between them.

“Yeah, Jimin, I do. I want to talk about whatever the hell is going on between us. I want to know why you’re ignoring me all of a sudden.”

Hoseok is breaking, Jimin can tell. Jimin’s wolf barely registers Hoseok’s state, barely has any feelings of need or comfort for the other. Ever since that night, ever since his confession to Jungkook about what he thinks is going on, him and Hoseok’s relationship has been cracked, a fissure the size of a canyon between them.

Ever since he came home and smelled that ing Yoongi all over him, practically imbedded into Hoseok’s skin, all over their apartment, all over Jimin’s belongings. And he can smell the other man now, mere feet away from him and Hoseok. Yoongi stands a couple tables away from the two, bag slung over his shoulder and worry evident on his features, in the dip of his brows.

God, even at a moment like this Jimin can’t get away from the damn pine smell. Yoongi’s scent is clouding around them, pheromones being sent to calm the two of them, but it only further irritates Jimin and his wolf. Yoongi’s scent is like a shadow that Jimin can’t escape, can’t get away from no matter how hard he tries.

“I think you know exactly what’s going on, Hoseok. I don’t think I have to spell it out for you.” Jimin says.

“Hey, guys, maybe you should take this somewhere else.” Yoongi takes a step towards them, hand outstretched.

“You stay the out of this.” Jimin growls, snapping his head at Yoongi. The other man cowers for a second, clearly uncomfortable with Jimin’s alpha asserting its dominance. 

Hoseok steps forward, inserting himself between Jimin and Yoongi. “Jimin knock it off. This is between you and me.”

Jimin has to laugh, scoffing at Hoseok’s outrageous claim. It was never ‘just between them’. It wasn’t the minute Yoongi stepped into the picture. Jimin’s getting worked up, getting angrier the more that ing pine smell permeates his senses. 

But it fades, just a bit, as a new scent overcomes it. Sweet, that familiar honey smell, wrapping itself around Jimin’s form like a blanket. His wolf is instantly satiated, brought down to a more reasonable state. Jimin knows Jungkook is near, has known he’s been in the library the entire afternoon, tucked at a table in the cafe area working on who knows what. Jimin hadn’t noticed the other approaching the three of them until now.

“It was never just between you and me, Hoseok. The minute you let him into the equation it was never just about us.” Jimin spits, pointing his finger in Yoongi’s direction.

Hoseok scoffs, unperturbed, “You’ve got to be kidding me. You’re the one who started it when you decided to start ing your little ‘friend’.”

Jimin stops, confused, “What the hell are you talking about?”

Hoseok chuckles, hands brushing his hair back, “God, and people say I’m the stupid one. You know damn well problems started between us the minute he showed up and you decided you’d rather a new omega than the one you’ve been with for years. Just admit it. You got bored with me and instead of telling me you moved on you snuck around behind my back.” 

Hoseok is fuming, hurling the words at Jimin like fire. Jimin’s never seen him this angry, has never seen any omega sound so hateful and aggressive. 

It’s unjustified. Hoseok has no right to be this angry at Jimin, because all the things he’s accusing him of are untrue.

“You’re ing unbelievable. I’ve never ed anyone besides you, Hoseok, not while we’ve been together. I’ve never, ever, cheated on you the entire time we’ve been together and it pisses me off that you would even ing say that.” Jimin is just as angry, just as emotional as the other man is.

“I don’t believe you.”

“What do you mean you don’t believe me?! I’ve done nothing but tell you the truth for as long as we’ve known each other, I’ve never done anything to break that trust and you’re all of a sudden accusing me of cheating?”

“Of course I am! How could I not, Jimin. When you’ve come home for months upon months smelling like another omega and reeking of his ing honey scent. You can’t stand there and lie to my ing face like that.”

“I’m not lying, Hoseok, I would never-”

“Yeah, yeah, you’ve said that, but I don’t believe it. Before we met you were a , slept around with anyone and everyone, why would being in a relationship make any difference to you?”

Hoseok’s words bite, sting straight to Jimin’s chest. He had been promiscuous in the past, had had his fair share of one night stands after leaving home. But then Hoseok  had come into the picture, had changed all of that for Jimin. And that was still true to this day. He’d never done anything to anyone that would make Hoseok upset, that would insinuate any of the things Hoseok was saying to him now.

It hurt. 

It hurt to think that someone he’d grown to love and had put all of his devotion towards would say such horrible and disgusting things to him, just to prove some sort of idiotic point that wasn’t true.

“Was it good? ing Jungkook? Did you finally get some sort of sick satisfaction from doing it with him that you didn’t get with me?” Hoseok is right up on Jimin, up in his face, grinding out word after word.

They grate on Jimin’s ears, pierce his mind and sear his thoughts. It’s infuriating, that Hoseok is even doing this, that he’s saying all of these things when he knows they aren’t true. 

Jimin’s voice is low, his thoughts petty. Time seems to dwindle down to nothing, slowly ticking by as the next words leave him, “You know what Hoseok? Yeah, I did. I ed him nice and good, so good. He sounds so pretty getting ed by me. Nothing compared to you. And I know he’ll give me strong, healthy pups. He’ll be such a good omega for me. Unlike you.”

Jimin regrets the words as soon as they leave him. He knows pups are a sore spot for Hoseok, the prospect a touchy subject that’s always been tense between them. But he can’t help it. Hoseok crossed a line with Jimin and he’s not above stepping on a subject they once tiptoed over.

If Hoseok can bulldoze his way through Jimin’s insecurities, Jimin can do the same to him.

Hoseok takes in a sharp breath, eyes hard as they bore into Jimin. They’re chest to chest, eye to eye with one another. Hoseok isn’t backing down to Jimin’s alpha, and Jimin isn’t buckling for the omega either.

“You get the out of my apartment. I want you out by tonight.” Hoseok spits.

“You can’t kick me out, we leased it together.” Jimin says. His hands are clenched at his sides, gripping the hem of his sweater. Jungkook’s scent becomes stronger, more prominent.

“Yeah, actually, I can. I signed it under my name, not yours. And since it’s under my name, I decide who lives there and who doesn’t. So get the out of my house by tonight or I’m throwing your out.”

Yoongi stands behind Hoseok, reaches his hand out and takes the others palm in his. 

And Jimin feels like all the air in his lungs leaves him finally. He in another breath, searching Hoseok’s eyes for any sort of regret, any sort of hesitancy, but there’s none. They’re cold and dark as they glare at Jimin. 

It’s over. Jimin knows it is without having to voice it out loud.

Two years of living, being, molding himself to someone he thought would be his forever.

All that hard work gone within the span of a handful of minutes.

Tears prick at his eyes as he turns to walk away, all eyes on his form striding out of the massive building and out into the cold air. He doesn’t know where he’s going, knows he’s not going back to his apartment just yet. He can’t bare the thought of going back right now.

Too many memories, both happy and memorable, now coated in sorrow. Tainted with hatred and mistrust. 

But with the cloying scent of honey behind him, Jungkook- his amazing, wonderful omega- a few steps behind him, he feels like it’s going to be okay.

Eventually, it’ll all be okay.