CHAPTER 4

Cider and Honey

“Jimin stop it already. ‘M tryna sleep.”

“I’m not even doing anything.”

“Yes you are. Stop putting your feet under me.”

Jungkook kicks the pair of feet tucked between his legs away from him, a yelp coming from the boy laying next to him.

“Jungkook come on, it’s not might fault you keep your apartment in the negatives.” 

Jimin’s pout is evident. The scent of cider thickens in the air, curling around Jungkook’s body and clogging up his nose, rewiring his senses. The smell had finally dissipated from Jungkook’s things, had finally dwindled to something bearable. Jungkook’s omega was finally at a point where it could calm itself in his apartment, that peace no longer becoming prevalent now. 

Hands fist in the back of Jungkook’s shirt and a face buries its way into his neck. Jimin’s breath is warm on his skin, making him tingle, his blood buzzing in his body. Jimin’s feet find their way up, up, up until his legs are tucked snug next to Jungkook’s own, toes buried between his legs and the mattress. 

It’s annoying.

It’s annoying how clingy Jimin gets when he’s drunk and it’s annoying how Jungkook can’t push him away. 

A sigh escapes Jimin’s lips, fanning the back of Jungkook’s neck. He can smell the alcohol they’d had earlier with every exhale. 

“Much better.” Jungkook hears Jimin say, feels the others nose nuzzle into him, his body snuggling closer, if that were even possible.

Jungkook scoots away from him, and Jimin moves closer, both of them playing a push and pull until Jungkook’s almost hanging off the bed with Jimin backpacking him like a koala. 

It’s annoying.

“Jimin, come on, let go. Hoseok will be mad.”

Jimin’s hands tighten, surely wrinkling Jungkook’s shirt even more than it already was from their night out. 

“Jungkook, you worry too much.”

“Jimin-”

“Jungkook please, not right now.” Jimin’s voice is quiet, barely a whisper in the still air. His scent sours, filling the room with discomfort and unease.

Something that Jimin’s been emanating a lot lately. 

“Can you just stay like this, please? Just for tonight? For me?”

Jungkook takes in a breath, sharp in his lungs. Jimin’s scent is so inviting, so open, Jungkook’s tempted. He wants to.

God he wants to.

“You know I can’t, Jimin.”

Jungkook sits up, shuffling to the door of his bedroom and down the hallway. The apartment is dark, quiet. Jungkook trips over a shoe, a boot. Jimin’s boot. 

Their shoes are scattered across the floor, Jimin’s jacket on the floor with them where he missed throwing it onto the back of the couch. Their keys are laid on the counter, wallets tossed and university ID’s strung out.

Jungkook shuffles to the fridge, blindly reaching in and searching until his hand finds what it’s looking for. Jungkook palms the neck of the bottle, taking a few gulps and letting the cold liquid slide down his throat.

It’s not as good as their drinks from earlier, not in the slightest. It was the cheapest beer he could find, after all, so he wasn’t expecting much to begin with. Besides, he’s already drunk as it is. What’s one more beer to top it all off?

Jungkook makes his way to the couch, setting his bottle down on the coffee table. He struggles to look for the remote for the tv, failing to find it amidst the darkness. In vein, he gives up, sighing as he leans back into the couch, closing his eyes.

A few minutes later, Jungkook hears the distant patter of feet on the floor, hears the closet in the hallway being opened. Bare feet step light as can be into the living room, and a blanket is placed on Jungkook’s lap. The couch dips as Jimin sits down.

“It’s cold, Jungkook. You need to keep warm.”

Jungkook peaks over at the other. His knees are tucked up to his chest, his chin rested on top of them. One of Jungkook’s blankets is wrapped around his shoulders. The only light in the room comes from the streetlight shining through the blinds. It casts part of the room in an eerie glow.

The light gleams across Jimin’s face, dimly illuminating his features. His eyes are glossy, wet with emotion. Jungkook doesn’t have to ask to know something’s wrong. He feels it in his gut, a deep need, a primal urge, to comfort the alpha before him because of it. 

He hates it.

His omega is crying, whining, begging for Jungkook do something, anything, to help Jimin. To ease the pain that’s been overtaking him for weeks now.

But he doesn’t. He can’t. He refuses to let his primal instincts win over the rational part of himself. Because it’s not fair, Jimin has Hoseok. Taking care of Jimin is Hoseok’s job.

Jungkook hears a sniffle come from Jimin. The other wipes at his eyes, covers his face with his hands. His scent is distressing, overwhelming. Jungkook doesn’t have to be marked by Jimin, doesn’t have to be connected to him in anyway to know the other is hurting, in excruciating pain.

God it’s killing him. It’s physically making him nauseous, his insides curling and twisting, a storm raging inside of him on what to do. He knows something is wrong, knows he needs to do something, anything , to ease Jimin.

Jungkook slides over, brushes his hand across Jimin’s trembling shoulders, wraps his arm around him and pulls him close. Jimin’s body shakes as he cries, his face buried in Jungkook’s neck, his tears running freely. 

Jungkook holds him. He nuzzles the top of his head, pulls Jimin closer, crashes him so tightly against his chest he’s almost afraid he’s hurting the other. But Jimin tightens his hold, his sobs increasing, and his fists grasp at Jungkook’s shirt as tight as they can. 

Slowly, ever so slowly, Jimin quiets down. His shaking form and heaving chest calms, turns to little hiccups every so often. His body slumps into Jungkook, sniffling and sniffling, wiping his tears insistently on Jungkook’s shoulder.

“I think Hoseok is cheating on me.”

Jimin says it so suddenly, so effortlessly. So calmly. 

He’s anything but. As the words fall from his lips, linger in the air, flow into Jungkook’s ears, his tears start again, fresh and heavy. Jimin gasps for a solid breath and ducks his head to Jungkook’s chest, gentle cries overtaking him again.

Jungkook aches. He aches for Jimin, his omega swirling with  turmoil and relief all at once.

Turmoil because Jimin is hurting, in pain.

And relief.

Relief that feels more like guilt. Guilt because of the thoughts rolling through his mind, for what he’s thinking.

Jimin could be his.

Finally his.


 

| |


 

“Yoongi I can’t do this.”

Hoseok backs away, away and out of Yoongi’s hold. His hands grasp at his hair, his breathing becoming labored.

“Hoseok, what’s wrong?”

Everything had been going so smoothly. They’d hung out at Hoseok’s apartment, made dinner, and worked on their assignment. Hoseok’s roommate had gone out with a friend for the night, celebrating some sort of achievement for one of them. Yoongi thought he’d heard Hoseok say something about one of them presenting finally.

Yoongi was glad for them, happy for the friend for presenting, and he was even happier with the thought that him and Hoseok would have the apartment to themselves.

He’d thought Hoseok had been too. Hoseok had even said so himself, had stuck close to Yoongi’s side the entire night. Hoseok was finally opening up to Yoongi, becoming more okay with touches and confessions, as slight as they were.

Yoongi had thought it was the right time, the perfect time. Hoseok had been cleaning the dishes, drying them with a washcloth, humming to himself. Yoongi had walked up behind him, liked he’d done so many times before, had leaned in to rub at his scent gland.

He’d finally gathered to courage to kiss him, only a peck on the cheek. A peck that turned into a wistful gaze, and then Yoongi’s lips were on Hoseok’s, eager and pliant.

And Hoseok had pushed him away.

He’d pushed him away and turned from Yoongi, his back facing him as he pulled at his hair and fell to the floor.

“I can’t Yoongi, I can’t. I’m sorry- I’m so sorry.” Hoseok mumbles and mumbles, his voice cracking.

“Hoseok what are you talking about?” Yoongi asks, hesitant.

The omega before him is distressed, his scent mingling with Yoongi’s own worried and anxious smell. 

“Yoongi I’m-”

Hoseok’s voice catches in his throat. He buries his head in his arms, knees pulled to his chest.

“You’re what?”

He doesn’t look at Yoongi, doesn’t face him as he says it.

“I have a boyfriend. Jimin. Jimin’s my boyfriend.”

Yoongi feels like all the air in his lungs leaves him, er punched right out of him, leaving him doubled over and sick. His mind swirls and swirls, processing and processing.

Hoseok was taken? He had an alpha? 

“Since when?” Yoongi’s voice is clipped as he asks, his voice faint.

The room stills, quiets, and whirs to life as Hoseok’s voice breaks the silence.

“We’ve been together for two years.”

Hoseok’s voice is like cotton in his ears, muffled and incoherent as he says something else. Yoongi can’t handle it, can’t handle the stifled air and Hoseok’s distressed scent surrounding him. He needs to leave, to register everything, to gather his thoughts.

Yoongi gets up and leaves, grabs his keys and rushes stiffly out of the apartment and out into the cool air of the night.

The further he gets from the apartment, further from Hoseok, Yoongi’s omega howls at him.

In anguish or in need for comforting the omega he left behind, he can’t tell.