CHAPTER 9

Cider and Honey

“So in the end we broke up and went our separate ways. But I am going to get my dog back from him, mark my words.” Taehyung finishes his story, taking a sip from his drink.

“What does the dog have anything to do with you guys breaking up?”

“Because it just does! He tried to take my dog from me and that’s just not fair. Yeontan is my baby, Yoongi, I’d literally die for him.” Taehyung grabs his phone from his pocket, his eyes wide and shiny as he taps the screen vigorously. “See, Yoongi, look! Yeontan is my child- we look exactly alike.”

Taehyung shoves his phone into Yoongi’s line of vision and then quickly takes it back, holding the phone up next to his face and wagging his finger between himself and the screen. A brown dog with patches of light brown fur stares back at him. 

They do look eerily similar in some odd way, Yoongi thinks.

“Taehyung it’s a dog, not your child. That’s not biologically possible.” Yoongi says. 

Taehyung lowers his phone with a pout and scrolls through more pictures. “Maybe not biologically but emotionally he is.”

“See now that makes more sense.” Yoongi says, pointing a fry at the other boy and taking a bite out of it. “And anyway, if he was yours to begin with, why does Seokjin even want him? You said he didn’t like him when you guys were together anyway.”

Taehyung stretches his arms over his head and groans, “ ‘Cause he’s a and likes to watch me suffer without my child and make my life miserable.”

“Dramatic much?”

Yoongi is given a deadpan stare, “Yes, I am dramatic, but for good reasons.”

Yoongi’s lips quirk up at Taehyung’s demeanor, even as the other pouts again and throws the crumpled up wrapper of his straw in Yoongi’s direction. The two take turns tossing balled up napkins at one another, laughing loudly and inconsiderate of the others in the restaurant. Yoongi doesn’t notice anyone’s eyes on them as they jack around.

Until the manager comes fuming around the corner of the counter and glowers at them and the mess they made. Looking around them Yoongi sees that they’d pretty much emptied the napkin container and the litter of rolled up paper balls that are scattered around them. The quickly apologize and give the man sheepish smiles, picking up the trash around them and throwing it in the trash bins. 

The manager kicks them out of the restaurant as soon as they’re done, to their dismay. They didn’t even get to finish their food. 

“Well that wasn’t the ideal ending to our conversation.” Taehyung notes. 

Yoongi nods, looking Taehyung up and down as they stand on the sidewalk. The wind is cold and biting, blowing by them with a ferocity that Yoongi wasn’t ready for. It makes him stumble on his feet and topple into Taehyung. The other immediately grabs Yoongi by the shoulders, helping him back to be steady on his feet. 

Yoongi lets out an embarrassed laugh, apologizing. Taehyung is quick to dismiss the accident and pays it no mind. 

“So, Yoongi, I was actually on my way to a friends house when I interrupted you on the bus. I was gonna ask if they could let me crash with them for the time being until I find a place to stay. You want to come with me? You could meet them and get a feel for who my people are.” 

Taehyung wiggles his eyebrows at Yoongi, giving him a wide closed-lipped smile. His eyes shine bright and big as they wait for Yoongi to answer. In all honesty, Yoongi wants to go back to his dorm and just wallow in his self pity, but he’s having such a good time with Taehyung he actually wants to go with him. 

Yoongi’s not one for meeting new people, especially with all that’s happened the past few months because of it. Taehyung is such a nice person though and has been a good distraction throughout the night, and he’s grateful for it. 

“Um, yeah. Sure, why not?” Yoongi says. 

“Great! They live a few blocks from here so it won’t be a long walk.” Taehyung grabs Yoongi by his forearm and drags him along the sidewalk. “One of them has also been going through a really rough time and has been staying with his friend for a while now, so I don’t know if they’ll let me stay with them, but it’s worth a shot.”

“Why don’t you just call and ask first?”

“You know, I thought about that, but neither one of them have been answering their phones the past few days so I gotta go and see what the hell is up with them.” Taehyung answers. 

Yoongi starts to wonder if it’s a good idea for them to be going over to theses people’s house given their current situation, but Taehyung sees no problem with it, so he doesn't question it.

 

| |

 

Jungkook hears a soft knock on the door, opening his eyes to see Jimin stepping inside. Jungkook shifts in the bathtub, bringing his knees up to cover himself a bit. The water laps at the edge of the tub with his movements.

“Jimin, what’s wrong? I thought you were still sleeping.”

“I was.” Jimin says. “But I’m awake now.” 

Jimin picks up Jungkook’s clothes that he’d left on the floor, folding them and placing them neatly on the counter. He takes off the shirt Jungkook had put him in, folding it too and putting it on top of the pile. Jungkook watches as Jimin’s hand reaches for the waistband of his shorts, his heartbeat speeding up.

“Jimin what’re you-”

“Jungkook hush already.”

Jungkook averts his eyes as Jimin undresses himself completely and takes a step towards the tub. He swats at Jungkook’s folded up knees, spreading them apart and taking a step into the warm water. Jungkook presses his legs to the sides of the tub, hands gripping the sides. 

Jimin takes another delicate step into the water, barely disrupting the surface, and slowly places himself in, back facing Jungkook. He shifts backwards and wiggles until he’s pressed himself into Jungkook’s chest, turning to his side and letting his head fall into the crook of the omega’s neck. 

Jungkook is stiff in the tub. Even though they’d shared a few kisses earlier and had a fair share of intimate moments play out through the weekend, having Jimin so close to him and being more coherent than he’s been the past few days, even the past few hours, is sending Jungkook’s mind into overdrive. 

Apparently not for Jimin, it seems though.

“I’m not gonna ing break, Jungkook, you can put your arms around me.” Jimin reaches for Jungkook’s hands and wraps them around his middle, settling Jungkook’s palms on the smooth skin of his side and stomach. 

Jungkook feels himself relax instantly, rubbing his thumbs along the soft skin of Jimin’s side. His omega purrs at the contact. Glancing down he’s met with Jimin’s normally clear and supple color marked with red and angry lines, and harsh scratches. His back is littered with them, his hips and sides teeming with bruising nail marks. Jungkook feels a spring of satisfaction bubble within his chest, the pit in his stomach disappearing. 

Seems like Jimin wasn’t the only one who was rougher than usual this past weekend. 

Jimin sighs in Jungkook’s hold, craning his head to nose at Jungkook’s scent gland, giving the patch of skin a small . Jungkook closes his eyes, relishing in the feeling that washes over him, in Jimin’s scent that clouds around him. Jimin’s breath is hot on the tender skin as he mouths at it. His hands roam along Jungkook’s side, one reaching to wrap around his waist, the other rubbing soothing across his ribs and over his chest. 

Jimin’s fingertips ghosting across his skin has him trembling, a feeling akin to euphoria filling him the more Jimin mouths at the now dark patch of skin, his teeth grazing. Jungkook feels like he’s drunk on Jimin’s scent, on his lips that can’t seem to leave him. 

Jungkook feels like all the breath that fills him leaves when he feels Jimin nip on a spot dangerously close to the sensitive area of his scent gland, a rush of want coursing through his veins. Jimin’s teeth sink just a bit harder, a shade deeper, into Jungkook’s skin and he feels like he’s going to burst. He wants Jimin to bite him, to mark him as his own.

He wants Jimin to claim him.

Jungkook feels Jimin’s growl ripple through him, through the room, low and hungry- almost needy. Jungkook thinks he’s going to do it, thinks the alpha is going to bite him and this push and pull they’ve had going on will finally be over.

But he doesn’t.

Jimin’s breath hitches and his hands stop roaming, stop their soothing pattern along his skin. Jungkook wants to whine at the action, but bites his lip so nothing will come out. His distaste and distress is evident in his scent, though, and the alpha definitely notices it. Jimin wraps his arm a bit tighter around Jungkook’s waist, drawing himself closer to the omega. 

“I’m sorry, Jungkook.”

Jimin’s voice is small, barely a whisper in the quiet bathroom. Jungkook simmers in the silence, the deafening noise overwhelming to him, but he doesn’t know how to answer.

They sit in silence for what feels like forever, hours stacked upon hours, when it’s only been a handful of minutes. Jungkook’s fingertips are pruning, and the water is tepid. Jungkook’s about to tell Jimin need to get out when the sound of the others voice stops him.

“Jungkook, what’re we doing?”

Jungkook waits, sits to see if Jimin says anything else. He doesn’t, only scoots closer and further into Jungkook’s chest.

“We’re… taking a bath?”

Once again, he doesn’t know how to answer, because he doesn’t know what Jimin is asking, what he’s referring to- what the other wants to hear.

Jimin huffs out a breath and abruptly sits up, placing his arms on the sides of the tub, caging Jungkook in. 

“No, Jungkook. What’re we doing?” Jimin’s voice is rising, an emotion lacing it that Jungkook can’t quite place. It sounds like frustration, but he can’t tell.

“What are we- us - Jungkook?”

There’s a desperation, in his expression, a fervor to his tone that Jungkook doesn’t know what to do with, how to react to. Jimin’s looking at him with such intensity it’s scary. 

“What-what are we?”

Jimin’s voice cracking and his lips trembling is what sends Jungkook over the edge. It’s like their kids again. It’s the same look he had that final day when Jungkook hadn’t shown up to meet him, hadn’t bothered to be Jimin’s friend for months. Everytime Jimin had talked with Jungkook throughout those last few years, he’d always held this same expression- like Jungkook was slowly breaking him piece by piece, and only Jungkook could bring him back together. He always looked so hopeful, but also scared out of his mind.

God, he never wanted to see that look on Jimin’s face again, never wanted the other to feel that way again. At least not because of him. Ever since they were little, he’s wanted nothing but happiness for the alpha, even when he’d lost his way and despised him for reasons unrelated to the other, Jungkook wanted nothing more than for Jimin to succeed in every way shape and form.

Jungkook’s always loved Jimin. Only now does realize just how much of it wasn’t friend related, just how much he actually cares for the older man and wants him to be happy at every second of every day. Jungkook never wants to see Jimin sad ever again. Not after this. For once Jungkook actually knows what to do in this situation. 

Jungkook’s heart pangs in his chest as Jimin’s eyes shift all over his features, searching for an answer from him. He reaches up to cup Jimin’s face, thumb brushing against his cheek. Jimin watches him, waiting, eyes wet and shining.

“Jimin, you know I love you, don’t you?”

Jimin’s breath stills, his hands holding a death grip on the edges of the tub.

“I think I do.”

“Why aren’t you sure about how I feel for you?” Jungkook asks.

Jimin’s eyes brim with tears, but they don’t fall. A small, half-hearted smile pulls at his lips. 

“Lots of reasons I guess. Haven’t had the best luck with love so far. Mainly insecurities with myself really.”

“Why is that?” Jungkook whispers. Jimin’s moved closer, their noses almost touching. So close and yet so far.

Jimin sniffles, “The only two people I’ve ever loved have walked out on me. Kind of hard to put faith into someone when your trust has been broken so many times, Jungkook.”

Jimin doesn’t have to voice the names of the people to know it’s Hoseok and himself. Hoseok was a , yes, and Jungkook will stand by that until the day he dies. But he needs to acknowledge what he’d done to Jimin all those years ago, and how it affected himself as a consequence. 

Shutting Jimin out was probably the worst thing he could have possibly done. Hating the other, being envious of him and jealous got him nowhere. Ever since he cast Jimin out of his life, forced the alpha to leave him, his life has been complete . Jimin has always been nothing but supportive for Jungkook. 

Jungkook always blamed Jimin presenting as an alpha for his anger, and counted up Jimin leaving for college, leaving him, as the final straw in their relationship.

But that couldn’t be further from the truth. Jimin never left Jungkook, their relationship. It was Jungkook’s fault from the beginning. And now he finally has a chance to right his mistakes and make things whole between them again. 

Jungkook feels tears prick his own eyes, a rarity in and of itself. Jimin seems surprised, but doesn’t have time to react before Jungkook’s pulling him into a hug, tight and clingy as ever.

“I’m so sorry, Jimin. I’m sorry for everything.”

Jimin’s arms move to Jungkook’s sides, rubbing up and down, calming the omega. Tears are falling from him as well, the both of them sniffling and holding one another. Jungkook holds the alpha tighter to him, presses their chests together and brings them as close as possible.

“I’m sorry, too, Jungkook. I didn’t want it to happen this way at all.”

“What’re you talking about?” Jungkook’s voice cracks but he doesn’t have it in himself to care. Jimin is apologizing to him for no reason.

Jimin is quiet for a minute, hands never stopping their repetitive motion, “I knew I loved you when Hoseok and I were going through our issues. I knew all along and I didn’t have the heart to do anything about it. I put Hoseok through so much and we ended up just having such a horrible breakup and I hate it-”

“Jimin that wasn’t your fault. I’ve told you time and time again that you did nothing wrong. You never acted on your thoughts, you never acted on your feelings. Hoseok did, not you. So please- please stop beating yourself up over it.”

The room fills with silence, theri muffled breathing and sniffs the only noise. 

“It kills me to see you in pain, Jimin. It hurts so much. I want to do nothing but make you happy, to take your sadness away. I want to make you so happy you never have to feel this way again- not because of me or anyone else.”

Jungkook nuzzles his nose into Jimin’s neck, placing a kiss under his jaw, on his temple, and presses his lips to the corner of Jimin’s mouth.

“I love you so much, Jimin. I want to make you the happiest person in the world. I want to make up for all the times I was a piece of towards you.”

Jungkook’s full on crying now, his voice wobbly and unstable as hell, but he wants to prove to Jimin that he means it, that he loves him with all of his heart.

Jimin once again doesn’t say anything. He only rests his head on Jungkook’s shoulder and cries, holding Jungkook as close to him as he can. Jungkook waits. He waits and waits for both of them to settle down, for both of them to stop sobbing like toddlers that barely scraped their knees on the sidewalk. Eventually they both come back to earth, to their little bubble and their cold and wet embrace.

Jimin is the first to break the silence, hands reaching up to cup either side of Jungkook’s cheeks. His eyes bore into his, red and bloodshot, circles dark from lack of sleep. But they shine and sparkle like they haven’t in ages. Jimin’s lips form into a small smile and he pecks Jungkook on the lips.

“You know I love you too, right Jungkook?”

Their faces are so close together. Jungkook could lean forward a centimeter and his lips would be back on Jimin’s in a flash. He wants to just take Jimin and ravish him, treat him and love him like his life depends on it.

But they have time for that, and plenty of time to make up for their lost years.

Jungkook smiles, big and wide, and laughs, “I had an idea you did.”

Jimin pulls away instantly, huffing at the omega, “You’re such a ing brat, just go with the mood for once.”

Jungkook is about to retort when a loud bang comes from outside the bathroom door. They hear footsteps approach and then a loud voice boom through air.

“Oh god it smells like in here! What’d you guys do, bang on every surface of this ing apartment?”

Jungkook and Jimin both look at one another, neither having to voice what they’re thinking-

What the hell is Taehyung doing here?