CHAPTER 6

Cider and Honey

“Maybe you should talk to him?” Yoongi suggests, but it falls on deaf ears. Hoseok is in no place or mindset to even speak of the other, much less have a conversation about their hideous breakup fiasco.

Yoongi would say he’s grateful for it, for their breakup. He should feel victorious right? He won. He won the man he’s been pining after for what seems like ages, he should feel happy.

But there’s a nagging voice in his head, something telling him it isn’t right, that it won’t work out. He loves Hoseok, has grown to love him over these past few months spent together. However just the thought that Hoseok has been lying to him, has been stringing him along full-well knowing how Yoongi felt about him is just cruel and wrong. 

But that’s a factor that Yoongi’s willing to overlook, if it’ll make Hoseok happy again.

Yoongi just wants his bubbly little sunshine back, for his sunflower to bloom and smile at him like he used to, like Yoongi holds the world for him. It’ll take time, Yoongi knows that. It’s only been a week after all. Hoseok will need time to heal.

And despite how much Yoongi hates the idea, he thinks that Hoseok needs to talk with Jimin. He needs to sort out some of the messy things they left aired out in front of all those people, Jungkook and Yoongi included, in the library. 

“I don’t want to see him, Yoongi, you know that.” Hoseok answers. 

Hoseok lays on the couch, arm covering his face as he speaks. He’s taking a break from working on an essay for one of his classes. He’s been like this most of the week, piling himself into his work as much as he can and avoiding human contact.

Except with Yoongi, that is. 

Hoseok is still not as cheery as he once was. He’s very much wallowing in his breakup, and can’t get the idea that Jimin cheated on him out of his mind. Whether the alpha actually did or not Yoongi doesn’t know. Yoongi just thinks Hoseok almost refuses to acknowledge his own mistakes, the thought that he actually did cheat on Jimin too much to bare himself so he’s deflecting the thought altogether.

In a way, he’s solely putting the blame on Jimin, and it makes Yoongi’s skin crawl in unease. He wants Hoseok to do what’s right and acknowledge what he did. It’s the right thing to do, it’s the only way to bring closure to all of this.

For Hoseok and for Jimin as well.

 

| |

 

“Jungkook what do you want for dinner?” 

Jimin’s voice filters through the hallway from the kitchen. Jungkook is currently making his bed- or their shared bed now- the sheets freshly washed and smelling like generic laundry detergent. Jimin’s been staying over at his place until they can find somewhere suitable for him to move to. 

Jimin’s been sleeping in Jungkook’s bed with him. Jungkook at first slept on the couch, but hadn’t even lasted a few hours when Jimin was suddenly by his side with tears running down his cheeks and begging for Jungkook to comfort him, to sleep in the same room as him. That’s how Jungkook found himself all the nights afterwards, on his side with Jimin snuggled up to his back, reminiscent of the drunken evening they’d spent together not too long ago. 

It’s only been a week since Jimin and Hoseok broke up. It’s only been a few days since Jungkook went and helped get Jimin’s things from Hoseok’s apartment. God that was an awful experience. 

Jungkook is still new to the whole scent thing, getting adjusted to other alphas and omegas scents. His whole life he’s never had to deal with the uncomfortableness of having to smell another omega or alpha in your territory, of dealing with that irritation. Now, though, he’s gathering an understanding of it. 

And of course, he hates it.

He’s not the jealous type, never has been. At least, that’s what he likes to tell himself. He most definitely was jealous of Jimin all those years ago when he first presented, but now, he doesn’t really care as much.

What he does care about now? Other omega scents clogging his nose and irritating the hell out of his wolf. It happened all the time when Jimin would come around when Jungkook first presented. The alpha would always smell like Hoseok, like the worst kind of generic softener you could find mixed with ten ounces of skunk spray. 

He always smelled awful, and Jungkook always wanted to fix it, because Jimin’s natural scent was so alluring, so addicting. Jungkook’s omega was naturally drawn to Jimin’s alpha scent.

Naturally.

Always naturally. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jungkook had almost puked, practically having to contain himself when he stepped into Hoseok’s apartment a few days ago. The smell was unbelievable. To any alpha or beta it probably smelled like fresh flowers and pine, Yoongi and Hoseok’s combined scents mixed into an enticing aroma, but to Jungkook it was pure hell. He wanted to stick close to Jimin, made himself cling to the alpha so he could breathe in his heady cider smell.

Jimin was a saving grace in that moment. 

Jungkook hopes he was one for the omega as well. He could tell Jimin was struggling, having a hard time with the events that had happened and were continuing to happen. The other boys hadn’t been at the apartment at the time that Jungkook and Jimin were there, but that almost seemed to make it all the more harder for Jimin to go through with it.

Jungkook being there and helping Jimin pack his clothes and room up solidified the fact that it was really happening. Jimin and Hoseok were really breaking up, were officially done, and Jimin wasn’t handling it the best.

Jungkook could tell he was keeping up a facade the entire time. He tried to be his happy-go-lucky self, kept his voice cheery and bright, but it only came off as pitched and strained- tense with discomfort. Jungkook could hear the lump in Jimin’s throat the more the other kept talking about frivolous things, could tell Jimin was floundering.

He was always floundering around Jungkook it seemed.

Jungkook eventually told Jimin to just be quiet, probably coming out more harsh than he intended for it to. He just wanted Jimin to shut up and pack, to shut up and keep moving so he wouldn’t have to keep thinking about what they were actually doing. It wasn’t the best idea, Jungkook admits now. Jimin got silent afterwards, unnaturally so. It didn’t take long for them to get the majority of things from the apartment. The left behind items Jungkook would come back to get in place of Jimin himself.

Jungkook has never liked Hoseok, but he’d rather deal with the man and Yoongi himself than have Jimin torture himself with coming back and pretending everything is fine. He wouldn’t put it past Hoseok to flaunt off his ‘newfound love’. The man’s a and has been a to Jungkook ever since he moved to the city and had come back into Jimin’s life.

Jungkook isn’t oblivious. He’s known Hoseok has had a problem with him. Jungkook’s always just ignored it, though. He’s had no reason to address it anyway. He didn’t have a claim on Jimin, never did have one. He’d made sure that was clear all the way back when he was supposed to present. 

Him and Jimin were supposed to present together, live their lives together as the same class, it was always supposed to be that way. Even when they were two years old, their grandparents both said the two were destined to be in each others lives, to live beside one another for as long as they lived.

Jungkook used to think that was true, back when he was younger. Him and Jimin both had grown up to believe it. That hope that they’d be together as best friends, however, faded the minute Jungkook didn’t present. He was of age finally, but it never came. Not presenting was the most disappointing, the most humiliating, thing to happen to him in his life. And the fact that Jimin, his equal and partner, had presented and was a class higher than him made it even worse.

He became jealous of Jimin. He was so incredibly jealous of the other and Jungkook hadn’t known how to handle all of the other emotions that came with not presenting. So, he’d done the only thing he could think of. He distanced himself from the source of his anger and frustration- of his jealousy. 

In hindsight, Jungkook realizes now that that wasn’t the best thing, or the right thing, to do. Some sick part of him had hoped that Jimin would be the one to initiate a reunion of sorts, that he’d be the one to fix the problems that had stirred between them. Jungkook knew that it was his fault, had realized it when he’d finally presented. 

It was like everything became clear. He didn’t want to accept it. He wasn’t supposed to be an omega and Jimin wasn’t supposed to be an alpha. Their roles were reversed. They were an anomaly in their hometown, out of the norm. Jungkook definitely was out of the norm to begin with, but something had gone wrong in him and Jimin’s makeup somehow.

Fate, however, has a way of bringing clarity into people’s lives, though.

Even though Jungkook wanted to deny it with all of his heart, wanted to go against the genes that been passed down to him, in his heart he knew that just wasn’t meant to be.

He really hated to admit it.

He hates to admit that he was in the wrong and has been in the wrong all this time. Jimin from day one has only been trying to look out for him, has only ever wanted what’s best for Jungkook, and Jungkook chose to ignore that and turn away from the most important person in his life.

Jimin has taken care of Jungkook the past few months. He’s been nothing but supportive and has been there to help him every step of the way since they were younger. And now, Jimin is the one broken and hurt.

It’s time for Jungkook to take the initiative for once and help Jimin. Because he cares for the other, cares for him deeply. Jungkook was unsure at first, if his feelings were genuine or just hardwired in his head because of his biology, but he’s sure now. 

Jimin is his alpha, and Jungkook has a responsibility to take care of his beloved friend. It’s the least he can do for him after all the other has done throughout the years.

He owes it to Jimin to be there for him. 
 

| | 
 

“Oh my god, these noodles are so good. I can’t believe I haven’t tried this recipe yet! What do you think, Kook?”

Jimin seems excited over the results of the dish he made for the two of them, if his insistent slurping isn’t proof enough. It turned out great, just like he’d said. In fact, it’s probably the best meal Jungkook’s had in a long while.

“Yeah, Jimin, it’s really good.” Jungkook responds, scooping more noodles on his plate to reassure the other that he means it.

Jimin smiles, satisfied with his creation. Jungkook feels a of warmth in his chest at the sight. Jimin’s sitting across from him, one knee hugged to his chest, hair still dripping from his shower. He’s got on one of Jungkook’s shirts, the collar too big and exposing some of his shoulder. It had somehow gotten mixed up in Jimin’s laundry but he’d went with it, not even asking Jungkook if he could wear it.

Not that Jungkook minded.

Jungkook watches as Jimin piles another heap of hot noodles onto his plate. The other twirls his fork, wrapping a good amount on the utensil and brings it to his lips, blowing on it before shoving the entire bit into his mouth. He burns his tongue of course, and rushes to grab a glass of water to cool the fire in his mouth.

It brings smile to Jungkook’s mouth and a laugh falling from his lips. Jimin pouts at him, but soon is caught in a fit of giggles himself. They both fall into a fit of laughter, doubling over the table and attempting to catch their breath but failing.

More giggles, melodic and pitched high, squeak their way out of Jimin. Jungkook can’t help the warmth that floods his entire chest, throughout his body. This is the first time Jimin’s been this happy, genuinely happy, since the break up. He just woke up in a good mood today, even insisting to help Jungkook with all the laundry. That’s what they spent the entire day doing- cleaning and folding clothes and blankets.

It was a good day. 

After dinner they’re supposed to watch a movie together, a friday night treat since the week has been so ty. At least, that was the plan, but when the there’s a timid knock at the door and a ringing of the doorbell a few moments later, Jungkook has a feeling their evening will be interrupted and their plans will change. 

Jimin stops eating to look at Jungkook, both of them curious as to who it could be so late in the evening. Jungkook is the one to get up and go to the door, opening it a crack to see Yoongi, soaked and dripping water all over the floor. His teeth chatter as he glances at Jungkook, voice quiet.

“Do you mind if we talk?”

Jungkook is confused. Why is Yoongi of all people standing outside his apartment door? And how did he even get his address?

“Jungkook, who is it?” Jimin asks.

The other boy is making his way to the door, but Jungkook is quick to halt him, talking over his shoulder, “It’s no one important, Jimin.” Jungkook looks back to Yoongi, getting ready to put his shoes on. “We can talk outside.”

“Actually, I wanted to talk to both of you. Well, moreso Jimin than you.” Yoongi says. The boy fiddles with the sleeves of his jacket, his shoes squeaking against the floor as he shifts his stance.

“I think you’ve done enough, quite honestly.” Jungkook answers.

Yoongi stutters, “But, it’s important, I swear. I want to talk about everything. Please?”

Jungkook hesitates.

“Ten minutes and I’m gone, I promise.” 

“Jungkook, why are you being so secretive?” 

Jimin barrells past Jungkook and under his outstretched arm holding the door, popping his head up and standing with Jungkook’s arm around his shoulders. Jimin freezes when he sees who it is. His lips turn down from their pliant smile and his eyes become downcast, dark as they stare at the man before him.

“Can we help you?” Jimin asks, voice small.

Yoongi shuffles his feet once again, looking at anywhere but Jimin, until he finally takes a deep breath and sighs. 

“I want to talk to you Jimin. Like really talk to you- about everything. I want you to know what happened. From my perspective at least, because not all of this is Hoseok’s fault, I swear.”

Yoongi flurries through his explanation with no hesitancy, pleading with Jimin to let him in. His eyes are earnest as they bore holes into Jimin.

Jimin contemplates for a few minutes. Jungkook is about ready to tell Yoongi no and close the door on him and lead Jimin back to the dining table so they can finish their meal and have their nice quiet evening like he promised they would.

Only Jimin has other plans in mind, apparently.

“You can come in.” Jimin says. It’s the only thing he says as he holds onto Jungkook’s hand and drags him down the entryway. “Take your shoes off, please.”

Jungkook turns his head and watches Yoongi slip his shoes off, taking hesitant steps into the small living and dining area. He looks uncomfortable standing there in his wet clothes and dripping hair. 

Jimin doesn’t say anything else, letting go of Jungkook and shuffling around the table, grabbing their plates. He goes to dump the food into a container, leftovers for later, and starts cleaning the dishes.

Jungkook, unsure of what exactly to do himself, just motions for Yoongi to wait where he is. He walks down the hall and to the bathroom, grabbing a towel and heading back to the room and giving it to Yoongi. The other takes it, patting himself dry as best as he can and drying his hair. The thought that Jungkook should offer Yoongi a change of clothes to wear crosses his mind but it’s gone as soon as it comes. 

His wolf isn’t comfortable with the idea of Yoongi wearing something of Jimin’s or even his own clothes for that matter. The other omega overall doesn’t sit well with Jungkook. His presence is making him uneasy, his omega sensing Jimin’s and his alpha’s tenseness as well. 

Jungkook breaks his revery, motioning for Yoongi to sit at the small dining table. They sit at opposite ends, Jungkook leaned back and Yoongi with his hands clasped firmly on top of the surface. Jimin is still standing at the sink, his back to both of them. Jungkook can tell he’s just rubbing the same plate over and over with the sponge, not even running it under the water anymore. 

Jimin clearly isn’t going to be the one to talk. That’s fine with Jungkook. He didn’t think Jimin was ready to talk about the topic anyways. He can shoulder some of the burden for the older for right now.

“So, you wanted to talk?” Jungkook starts.

“Um, yeah.” Yoongi answers. 

He seems hesitant, even though he was the one that wanted to talk in the first place, had been begging Jungkook to let him speak mere minutes ago. Now he seems nervous. Extremely nervous. 

“I just…” He stops and wrings his hands together, his lips. “I just wanted to apologize. To say I’m sorry.”

Silence fills the room. Yoongi doesn’t say anything else, head ducked and gaze straight on the table. 

“You said that this wasn’t all Hoseok’s fault. What was that about?”

Jungkook’s curious about that. From his viewpoint, Jimin didn’t do anything wrong. Not where Jungkook’s concerned. Hoseok has always been jealous of him for unknown reasons, even more so after Jungkook presented. So, to him, Hoseok was the one who started all of this, the one who was the main cause of their problems.

Well, maybe not all of them. Jungkook is partially to blame for some things concerning Jimin, but not where him and Hoseok’s relationship is concerned. Not at all. 

Jimin is still at the sink, hand still circling and circling, rubbing and rubbing at the same plate. Over and over, again and again.

“Yeah. It’s…” Yoongi pauses again, seeming to gather his thoughts about what he wants to say.

Probably picking and choosing what sounds like the least harmful details, Jungkook thinks.

“I’m partially to blame for all of this. In my defense, I had no idea you and Hoseok were together, Jimin. For the longest time I just thought you were roommates. So I… became close with him. I did things I probably shouldn’t have…”

He pauses like he’s thinking over his next words, carefully considering them.

“I kissed Hoseok.”

Jimin’s insistent rubbing increases, scrubbing the plate harder and harder now. Jungkook notices the water from the spout scatters everytime Jimin’s arm hits the stream, disrupting the flow.

“He told me you two were together right after it happened. I left right away, obviously, but… it didn’t really deter me. I hate to say it but I didn’t stop my advances towards him. I didn’t kiss him again, though, if you’re wondering. Just… touches, I guess.”

Jungkook’s blood is boiling, actually simmering in his veins right now. He’s so angry- angry with Yoongi and angry with the omega that’s probably laid back in his apartment not worried about a damn thing, not worried about Jimin or his heart he broke. It infuriates Jungkook to no end. He knew Hoseok was a no-good bastard from the beginning. He had had some semblance of hope that it wasn’t true, that Hoseok hadn’t cheated, but god the son of a actually did it.

He cheated on Jimin and then had the audacity to somehow blame his grievances on everyone but himself. 

“I didn’t stop pursuing him because Hoseok had made it clear that you two were, um, together. Knowing that Jimin was doing the same thing as Hoseok made me feel better. I didn’t feel bad about my actions after that-”

“Wait what?” Jungkook interrupts. “Because whowas together?” 

Yoongi looks from Jungkook to Jimin’s still form at the sink, his eyes flitting between the two of them. He points to Jungkook and then to Jimin.

“He said that you two were together. He said Jimin had been with you for a while-”

“We were never together. We’ve never been together.” Jimin suddenly blurts out.

He’s put the plate down, turned the water off. His hands rest against the edge of the counter and he looks pale. Really pale. Silence sticks to the air like a thick cloud. Jungkook can feel Jimin’s distress rolling off of him in endless waves.

Jungkook hates it.

“But Hoseok said-”

“It doesn’t matter what Hoseok said, Yoongi, I don’t lie. Me and Jungkook have never been together. Not in the way Hoseok seems to think, at least.”

Jimin’s shoulders slump, like he’s caving in on himself. His scent turns...cold, and dark. It’s nothing Jungkook has smelled or sensed from Jimin ever.

“I did… I scented Jungkook’s things, when he presented. That’s the only thing close to ‘cheating’ that I’ve done this entire time. So if that’s what Hoseok’s referring to then… God I don’t know.”

Jimin sinks even further in on himself. Jungkook gets up to stand by his side, hand on Jimin’s back. Jungkook can tell he’s slipping, going down that dark hole he’s been in all week. He’s been working so hard to get out of it, today was finally a good one, and ing Yoongi and that damn Hoseok had to go and ruin it. 

“Yoongi I think you should leave.” Jungkook says it in as kind of a voice as he can muster. 

He’s hoping Yoongi doesn’t push it, doesn’t try to test his patience, because Jungkook is furious right now. He doesn’t think he’s been this angry or upset since the day he was supposed to present all those years ago. 

Yoongi doesn’t question the demand. He only gets up and places the used towel on the table in front of him, walks towards the door, and is gone from their sight in a few minutes. 

Jimin slumps to the floor once he hears the door click shut. Jungkook tries to catch him as best as he can given his position. He manages to fit Jimin into his lap, Jimin leaned against him. He’s crying, again. Damn it all to hell he’s crying again.

“I’m sorry Jungkook. I’m so sorry.”

Jungkook feels his heart break with every apology that comes from Jimin. He holds him closer to him, wrapping in his arms as tight as he possibly can.

“No, no, don’t apologize Jimin. You’ve done nothing wrong, it’s Hoseok’s fault-”

“No, Jungkook you don’t get it. It’s- It’s my fault t-too.” Jimin sobs. 

His chest heaves with every breath he tries to take, sinking further and further in on himself. Jimin hugs Jungkook to him, hugs his arms around his neck and buries his face in his chest, like he’s trying to ingrain himself in Jungkook.

Jungkook his hair, his back, anywhere to comfort the sobbing alpha. “Jimin what-what do you mean? None of this is your fault-”

“But it is.”

Jimin’s voice sounds so broken it physically and mentally pains Jungkook to sit and listen to. Ever cry that rips itself from Jimin’s throat is another shard of glass into Jungkook’s chest.

“Jimin listen to me.” Jungkook talks as softly as he can, is as gentle with Jimin as he can possibly be. “Why do you think it’s your fault? You’ve done nothing wrong, Jimin.”

Jimin is silent. His grip on Jungkook tightens and more tears run down his cheeks and onto Jungkook’s skin. His shirt and neck are damp with his tears. Jungkook’s eyes are starting to fill up as well. Lips move along his neck, Jimin saying something but no sound coming out.

“What, Jimin?”

“I can’t tell you why. I-I can’t Jungkook. Please, please, don’t make me tell you right now. I’m not ready-” Jimin pleads and pleads with Jungkook not to make him say it, whatever it is. 

It worries Jungkook. He’s so worried about Jimin right now. What’s so terrible that he can’t tell Jungkook right now? What happened within the span of their conversation with Yoongi that turned Jimin into this crying mess on the floor, unable to face whatever monster that’s rooted itself inside of him?

What happened to the strong and reliable alpha that had left their town all those years ago?

What happened to Jungkook’s alpha, his brilliant, smiling, and amazing alpha?

What happened to his Jimin?