One Moment

One Moment

 

If he wasn’t already holding me, I would have probably fallen from lack of strength after that sentence. I held my breath, hoping he’d realize I didn’t know how to respond to that.

Luckily I didn’t, or maybe I just wasn’t lucky at all.

The locker room was suddenly filled with boys laughing and talking. I turned to look and wished I hadn’t. They all stopped and stared. Who wouldn’t? The famous kingka and the social outcast alone in the BOYS locker room. Some of the boys started nudging each other and whispering. I quickly pulled away from Luhan and ran. He tried to call me back, but I ran as fast as I could.

I pushed my way through the halls ignoring all the protests. I made it all the way home before realizing that I left everything at school. There was no way I would be going back for that though, not after what happened.

I grabbed the spare key under the doormat and ran inside my house. As soon as I locked the door, I leaned against it and slid to the ground. My heart was racing from the run home. I quickly showered without looking at what clothes I was wearing.

My mind was literally spinning in circles. Luhan had once again taken my breath away with only a few words that probably meant nothing to him but meant so much to me. His words could have been misinterpreted in so many ways. His meaning behind those words could mean the total opposite of what I was thinking. I didn’t want to raise my hopes up in case I was wrong, which I was bound to be.

I heard my brother shouting from below saying he was home. I instantly jumped up and left my room to greet him hurriedly causing me to briefly forget about my problems.

Taemin oppa went to an all-boys private school in America. I only saw him a few times a year but those times were always special memories to me. He was my best friend and my protector. Without him, I wouldn’t have had the courage to go back to school. Taemin oppa and I are twins. He’s a minute older so technically I’m the dongsaeng. He was always the more outgoing sibling and definitely popular. When we were younger and both attended the same school, girls would follow him around and bully me because they couldn’t understand why he always hung out with me. I never wanted anyone to know he was my brother just in case it ruined his popularity. Two years ago, he left for America because of how good his grades were and got a scholarship for his dancing. I was glad he went since the moment he learned to walk, he started dancing. It was what he was born to do. No one could ever dance like him. Absolutely no one.

I sped down the stairs and jumped in his arms. Mom and Dad were at work and wouldn’t be back until later tonight which meant I had a good few hours to catch up with Taemin oppa.

“What are you doing home? Aren’t you supposed to be at school?” he asked me.

I looked down and didn’t answer him.

“Did something bad happen? Are you okay?” I nodded to reassure him but that didn’t help lessen his curiosity.

I hesitated before actually telling him the truth. I started with the queenkas and ended up telling him what happened with Luhan. We had moved onto the couch, and I was absolutely exhausted from everything up to that point.

Taemin took a deep breath and exhaled. “First of all, why didn’t you tell me you had problems with bullying? Second, it sounds like this Luhan guy likes you, so I wouldn’t worry about him. Let’s just focus on those girls.”

I looked away from him and retorted, “There’s nothing to focus on.”

“Well if the kingka is sticking up for you, I’ll bet those queenkas won’t be happy.”

I trembled from just thinking about all the possibilities. Before I could give him another excuse, the doorbell rang. Taemin jumped up before I could to answer the door. “Maybe it’s Mom and Dad!” he shouted.

The second after the door opened, my mouth dropped. I was glad my long hair still covered my face.

Luhan looked at Taemin before turning to me. “I thought I’d bring you your stuff since you didn’t come back to class.”

I nodded and said thank you before running to my room. I could hear Taemin start interrogating him, and I had to turn back to save Luhan for the sake of my own embarrassment.