Chapter 8

The Devil Besides Me

Celebratory new chapter in honor of Taemin's new mv Two Kids. Check out the mv on youtube by clicking the link to show your support.

Warning: Onew sangtae (condition), do what you need to prepare yourself

 


 

Minho watches through hooded eyes as Taemin goes about his day at school. True to his word Minho doesn't make his presence known so that Taemin can get his education at ease. Although Taemin is blissfully unaware, it doesn't mean Minho can't follow his human to keep him safe.

Most of the time he watches Taemin doze off in his lectures. He even finds himself doing small things to help like stopping his pen from falling off the desk or re-right Taemin's balance when he trips on uneven floors.

He always frowned when he caught himself doing that, even the smallest things. Taemin is a human whose soul will eventually be claimed by Minho. Spoiling the boy is undemon like. It's making him soft and he can't have that. But still he finds himself doing it without meaning to, deluding himself that Taemin is a prize. It becomes an ingrained habit and he can't shake the impulse away.

Minho follows Taemin out to the courtyard when something caught his attention. A scent that is neither human or demon is coming from the top of a clocktower. Teleporting to the top there is no one there. He narrows his eyes at the empty space and spreads out his senses. Within his vicinity there are only humans, small animals, and harmless spirits. None of their scent matches with what he smells.

Minho frowned, doesn't know what to make of this. A scent that is neither human nor demon, not even an angel. Like an empty pit that couldn't be filled. All it knows is to consume, no other emotions than that.

 


 

“C'mon Taemin-ah. Please~?”

“I already did.”

“That's not enough, add your other email to this.”

“My inbox is already full as it is. I don't want anymore spam.”

Taemin and Key are in front of a booth filling out a survey for a raffle event. Key is aiming for the grand prize; two tickets and backstage passes to Boa's Venus concert.

“I don't even wear this brand,” Taemin muttered under his breath as he fills out the survey reluctantly. “Too expensive and plain looking.”

The comment had earned Taemin a jab to his side by an annoyed Key. “Don't say that while your doing this,” he gritted lowly, casting a nervous look at the booth attendant whose looking at the two with a flat look. “If I win the grand prize, I won't say anything about your unhealthy banana milk consumption for the rest of my life.”

Taemin pouted. “The chances of that happening is way too low.”

“If I have at least a silver chance to meet my queen then that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.”

“Then sacrifice your money to buy the tickets yourself!”

“I have no moneys!”

“Because you spent all your money on kpop merchandise!”

“And it's money well spent!”

They argued back and forth even when they left the booth.

“So how many emails did you use for the survey thing?” Taemin asked.

Key makes an unease sound as he avoids Taemin's eyes. “Umm... six...”

“Six?! What the hell?!”

“I get six chances of getting the grand prize and seven if we're counting you in the equation,” Key explained like it's the most normal thing in the world. “It's about probability Taemin-ah, use your head. This increases my chance of winning.”

“I know about probability,” Taemin muttered. “I just didn't know how one person can have six emails.”

“I do!” Key uses his fingers to count. “One school email, one job search email, one for my personal stuff like paying bills, and two for social media.”

Taemin looks confused, looking at Key before looking down on his own hands to count. “That's five emails, hyung...”

“Yeah... I made a new email for this...”

“Oh my gosh, Key!”

Taemin yelps as Key fondly messes his hair up. “This is for my love for Boa!” He pauses messing Taemin's hair when his phone suddenly rings to answer, looks at the message and scoffs. “Damn, I got work now.”

Taemin tries to fix his hair. “Your ringtone sounds good. What song is it?”

“That was Jonghyun,” Key points to his phone with a grin. “We went karaoke and I recorded him. My god that man's voice is a gift from heaven.”

Taemin nodded, agreed. “He sings really good.”

“I'll tell him you said that,” Key messes Taemin's hair one last time before jumping away from the boy's swipe. “I'll send you the recordings later. Gotta go now, babe!”

Taemin pouted, watching Key leave. With that said he makes his way to Onew's cafe. He's only across the street when he sees something that makes him freeze up.

Minho is in the cafe.

Taemin tightly gripped the straps of his backpack. It must have been some demonic joke. He has a clear view of Minho sitting in the cafe drinking coffee by the booth. The demon looks so human and non threatening that almost makes Taemin want to laugh out loud. He doesn't know what Minho is planning but he has to get him away from Onew. Who knows what the demon is planning.

Quickly crossing the street to the cafe and foregoing his exuberant entrance, Taemin marches right up to where Minho is sitting. Minho doesn't even register Taemin's whirlwind presence as he daintily sips his coffee. He carefully puts his cup down on the coaster and looks up at Taemin with an amused expression. “Took you long enough.”

Taemin's fist is shaking by his side. “What are you doing here?”

Minho looks calm, bringing up his cup to smell the aroma. “Your friend makes really good coffee.”

It doesn't answer Taemin's question as he moves to sit across Minho. “I meant what are you doing here, demon?” He's aware of the way he looks right now, talking to air. Minho doesn't make his presence known to the public, only allowing Taemin to see him. At this point he doesn't care because Onew's safety depends on it. “Are you trying to make me angry?!”

“You told me not to bother you when you are at school,” Minho said, grinning from ear to ear radiating amusement. “Told me to go somewhere or get coffee.”

He knew his days at school are quiet but he didn't know the extent of it. “Yes but I didn't mean that you should go here!” Taemin makes a frustrated sound, grabbing Minho's arm to haul him out. “You shouldn't even be here. I don't want you to – ”

“Taemin, don't harrass my customers!”

Taemin looks up surprised, Onew had walked over to them. Onew is frowning at Taemin in a way that would make him squirmish. But all Taemin feels is confusion, looking back and forth from Onew standing right there to Minho sitting there innocently with coffee in front of him. Onew can see Minho.

“W-what?!!”

Onew bows his head to Minho. “I'm sorry about Taemin. Please excuse his rudeness.”

This is strange when Taemin realizes that not only Onew can see the demon but the other occupants of the cafe can see him as well. The girls who frequent to the cafe are giggling among themselves, discreetly pulling out their phones to take a picture. Even Mir, the cafe staff whose manning the counter, watches them curiously.

Taemin could feel his eye twitching when Minho responds with a kind smile. “Oh don't worry about it. I find his antics very cute. I'm Choi Minho by the way.”

Choi?!

“I'm Lee Jinki,” Onew introduces. “You can call me Onew after the store. Tell me Minho-ssi, what is your relationship with Taemin?”

If it was any other situation like introducing a significant other to a parental figure, Taemin would have spluttered and choke on his own spit. But this is not that situation because it involves a demon who wants his soul. Unfortunately that is not the situation as Taemin spluttered and choke on his own spit at the question.

“I'm the person who can give Taemin what he truly desires,” Minho answers.

Onew gives a weird look. “Banana milk?”

“If that is what he truly desires then I am happy to give it to him.”

Taemin makes some frustrated noises at the spectacle before him. Before this gets out of hand Taemin drags Onew away from Minho to behind the counter. Shoving Mir back he brings the cafe owner down and out of view from the customers and the demon.

“A little bit of a warning next time, Taemin-ah,” Onew smoothes out the wrinkles from his shirt. “I was still talking to Minho.”

Taemin clutches Onew's shoulders. “Onew hyung you can't trust Minho,” he sternly explains. “He is evil and dangerous. So you should not underestimate him.”

Onew raises an eyebrow. “Taemin, that's a rude thing to say about your friend.”

“Friend?!” Taemin hisses as though the word offends him. “Minho is no way my friend. He is the opposite and he will take your soul if he gets the chance.”

“That's a little bit exaggerated, don't you think?”

“Onew hyung trust me. That guy is dangerous. He may look all human like and non-threatening but it's all an act to let your guard down.”

Onew frowns as he mulls over the information. After a moment he makes a realized noise. “I think I know exactly who Minho is.”

Taemin blinks. “You do?” Letting go of Onew's shoulder.

Onew nodded in a wise manner. “Yes. You see them everyday. It's just hard to tell but they have been the advent that causes chaos and discord. Many fell prey to them signing their souls away.”

For once Taemin felt like there is hope that there is someone who knows what Minho is. This way maybe he can finally get the demon to stop bothering him and maybe go away. He shouldn't have underestimated Onew, he is after all a wise hyung.

“Minho is a drug dealer.”

Taemin blinks. “...what?”

“I mean it's obvious with the way he talks about “giving you what you truly desire”,” Onew explained, his fingers making air quotation marks. “Only a drug dealer talks like that and his handsome face would surely bring a lot of customers. I know you are at that age to experiment or being pressured but you should not be taking drugs unless it's for medical purposes only. Drugs can only give you temporary euphoria but that is not the answer.”

It feels like someone had pulled a rug from under Taemin's feet, drowning him in shock from the absurdity of Onew's answer. It took Taemin a second much longer to react, shaking his head wildly in denial. “No that's not it! Minho is not a drug dealer! He doesn't have drugs!”

Onew looks confused. “Wow, they come in all types these days. Then what do you mean that he's evil? Is he bothering you?”

“Yes!” Taemin exasperatedly said. “And he is powerful so you better be careful around him, Onew hyung. He could destroy your cafe with a snap of his fingers.”

Onew nodded, making an understanding sound. “Oh I think I get it now. Minho is a loan shark.”

Taemin is this close to tearing his hair out. “No!”

“Then what is he, Taemin? Why are you making a big deal out of this? Has Minho hurt you?”

“No.”

“Did he say mean things to you or threatened you?”

“No.”

“Did he break anything?”

“Only my sanity.”

Onew puts his hand under his chin as he thinks. “Okay then.”

He shouldn't beat around the bushes any longer. Taemin sighs, he might as well say it. Taking a deep breath Taemin steels himself to say it. “Onew, Minho is a de–”

“I'll be right back, Taemin-ah.”

Before Taemin gets out another word Onew left the counter out of reach. Choking on his own spit Taemin watches in mounting horror as Onew goes back to Minho in the booth.

And they both started talking.

Taemin chews his bottom lip nervously and clutches his hair, watching the exchange. Worried over what they are talking about and worried what Minho will do to his poor hyung.

“Ummm Taemin?” Mir looks confused at the boy having a mental breakdown behind the counter. “What are you doing over here?”

Taemin doesn't turn around but gestures him to go away. “Shhhhh... I can't hear what they are saying.”

Mir looks down at the boy and back to his supervisor who is talking to a customer. “Well why don't you just ask them?”

Taemin just shushes him as he glares at the exchange. He could feel his hackles rising when both Onew and Minho laughed at something that he doesn't know about.

“I'm going in, wish me luck.”

“Bro, I don't think you even know what you're getting into.”

Taemin stealthily maneuver himself to the two. He looks over Onew's shoulder to stare at Minho. His eyes widened watching Minho talking to Onew calmly, even giving a smile unlike he's ever seen. He freezes up when Minho meets his eyes. Eyes that used to make him unease now look at him with human-like emotions. “Taemin-ah!”

Taemin-ah?!

Onew turns his head and smiles. “Taemin, you shouldn't have to be nervous about your friend here. Now sit and behave, I'll get your dessert pack and ready to go.”

Confused, Taemin was led to sit on the opposite side of the booth, numbingly staring at the demon. Minho to his credit doesn't look fazed at all, giving a genuine smile at the boy who knows that it's fake. “Your friend is very nice.”

Taemin gives Minho a suspicious glare. “I don't remember giving you a surname.”

“In Korea most people introduced their whole name so it will be weird if I didn't have one,” Minho explains, keeping that irritating smile. “I don't think you want my surname to be Lee, little one. You will end up thinking about me rather than that actor of yours.”

Taemin had to mentally remind himself to not reach over the table and shake Minho to stop acting. Minho is just tricking everyone to believe he is anything but harmless and Taemin to be crazy. He mentally prays to any higher being to give him patience, not strength.

He later finds himself outside of the cafe alone with Minho with a takeout box of desserts. The whole time he's been in a state of confusion and disbelief that he didn't get the chance to make sure Onew is alright.

Now that he thinks about it, Minho seems to be tangible and human even outside the cafe. People know to step out of the way from Minho's path and girls passing by gossiped to their friend next to them on how handsome he is.

Taemin cast a suspicious glance over at Minho. “What are you doing?”

Minho grins, minus the fangs that make him look deadly. It still has the effect of pushing Taemin's buttons. “Whatever do you mean, little one?”

“Stop playing dumb with me!” Taemin purposely steps in front of Minho's path to stop him. He knows he's causing irritation with other people for stopping out of no where but this is important. “What is with that innocent act back at the cafe?! What did you talk about with Onew hyung? Are you trying to take his soul too?!”

Minho grins even wider and reaches out. Taemin braces himself of whatever cruel gesture the demon is going to do.

But he wasn't expecting a pat on the head.

It was a gentle pat for children and pets. Taemin just looks up at Minho with wide eyed confusion, clutching his take out box in his hands. The desserts would get squished but he doesn't care.

Minho chuckles. “Don't worry, I am not interested in hurting your friend or taking his soul. The only one I am interested in is you.”

Taemin opens his mouth and then closes it. At this point he doesn't know what to say. He was gently guided to the side by Minho so that they wouldn't be blocking the way. Maybe Minho had taken his soul after all because all he could do was follow him.

“Your friend Onew and I just talked about stuff,” Minho shrugs, very undemon like. “We have an understanding. He holds you in high regards, threatening me with bodily harm should you get hurt,” he snorted as though he finds the threat funny. “And he gave me stamp card for me to come back. Buy 10 desserts and get 1 free.”

Taemin frowns. “Then why are you acting like this?” He waves his hand gesturing oddly. “Like a human? And everyone can see you?!”

“Because this is the only way that you won't ignore me,” Minho said, putting his hands in his pockets. A thought of demons having pockets briefly baffles Taemin's mind but this isn't the time and place for it. “I may look like this to fool these ants but don't forget, little one, I am a demon.”

Minho's form briefly flickers from human to demon. The off-colored skin, the glowing eyes, the sharp horns, fangs, and tail. The dangerous intent his presence exudes sets the tone of what he really is. A demon from hell, Lucifer's servant.

Minho's form flickers back to human but the dangerous intent is still there. He leans in close so that he could be close to Taemin's face. The glowing glare in his eyes intensifies. “I won't hurt these ants or your precious Onew,” he whispered. “But if you don't make a contract with me soon who knows what will happen to them.”

 


 

Suho stares at the projection. “Again.”

The projection of Kris' demise restarts again showing the desperation and horror of their former friend. The dark flames start at his chest before consuming his whole body, reduced to ashes. Suho doesn't move, fixated at the image.

“Again.”

“No! No more,” Tao stands up. “Stop torturing yourself and me with this. I don't need to keep seeing this with you and you shouldn't either. Kris... he's gone...”

Suho's eyes doesn't leave the projection. “Again.”

“Stop it hyung!” Tao snaps. “I know what you're thinking. You're thinking if only you were fast enough, you could have put out the flames with your water powers. Hell, I could have rewind time on him so he wouldn't die like that. Or Lay could have healed him from those burns. There's nothing we can do...”

Tao makes a move to leave when Suho finally speaks. “I'm sorry.”

Suho finally takes his eyes off the projection staring down at his lap. “I felt responsible for Kris suffering like this,” he quietly said. “It didn't occur to me that you might have suffered as well, watching this over and over again. I thought if I can find something – anything – just maybe we can...”

Suho couldn't find the right words but Tao knows what he meant. Tao goes back to where Suho is sitting, standing beside him. “You shouldn't have to feel responsible just because you are our leader,” he said, placing his hand on Suho's shoulder. “We rely on you but you can also rely on us. There are things that we couldn't control so the best thing to do is to learn from them and move forward.”

Suho puts his hand on top of Tao's and squeezes back, doesn't need to meet Tao's eyes. “Thank you.”

Tao smiles and waves his hand, wordlessly replays the projection again.

In what seems to be the umpteenth time something finally caught Suho's attention. “Pause it.”

Tae complies. “What is it?

Suho gets up to the projection, pointing at something near Kris's neck. “Can you zoom in here?”

Tao moves his hands to where Suho is pointing. There was a dark area, not from the clothes or the black flames. “It's a shadow,” Suho explains. “A shadow of a person, you see the face?” He watches Tao's eyes widened when he realizes what he meant. The shadow outline of a person's face becomes glaringly clear. “Whoever attacked Kris has to be near him in order to burn him inside out...”

Just then an explosion is heard out in the back. Suho and Tao didn't hesitate to run over, ready for a fight. When they got there they could see Chanyeol laid on his backas though he was thrown away and Sehun covered in soot.

“What happen here?”

“Training,” Chanyeol gets up to his feet. “I'm trying to make my flames stronger so that I'll be ready for the guy who attacked Kris.”

“You called that training?!” Sehun coughs, wiping the soot from his face. “You blowing up in my face!”

“Well you're being real loud,” Tao scolds. “Nobody is supposed to know that we're not supposed to be here.”

The three are arguing back and forth with each other on whose fault is it. Tao pauses when he realizes Suho hadn't said a word. “Hyung?”

Suho had been frowning in thought, not reprimanding his comrades. It was unusual for their leader so Chanyeol and Sehun had stopped arguing, watching their leader curiously.

“Training,” Suho crosses his arms over his chest. A manic grin appears over his face. “Not a bad idea.”