Chapter 22

The Devil Besides Me

With the weather getting warmer, the rain comes and goes so often forcing Taemin to carry an umbrella wherever he goes. It becomes unpredictable that on some days its light showers and on other days it pours. Thunder and lightning would follow with those types of rains.

It's raining heavily today. He was staying late at the school library to get some work done when rain comes pouring down. Many students and faculty decided to brave the rain to get home, all the while getting soaked. There is barely anyone left on campus as they are either going home or in the buildings taking shelter. Thunder can be heard looming in the distance as the storm rages overhead.

Taemin is sitting on the bench located under the library building, shielded from the rain. The tip of his shoes unavoidably getting wet as he waits for the rain to stop.

If this was the old Taemin, he would huddle in a corner and whimper at the sound of thunder. Gradually he's able to move away from the shackle of his fear of thunderstorms to be able to sit there calmly.

“Do you want to leave?”

Taemin doesn't have to look up to see it was Minho who asks the question. He shakes his head. “This type of rain won't last long. I'll wait.”

He has to thank Minho for his help. When it rains they would cuddle on the sofa with a blanket covering both of them. Minho would run his hand through Taemin's hair to comfort him, his hand on his back to keep him secure. Soon enough Taemin starts to look forward to rainy days because of Minho.

If it hadn't been for Minho, he would still be scared of thunderstorm. To be drowned in horrible memories of rainy days for all these years until now.

Minho places a hand on Taemin's shoulder. “You sure? I'm willing to teleport us straight home.”

“Oh?” Taemin tilts his head up. “Would the price be my soul?”

Minho hums, playing along. “Always but it's my treat.” His hand open for Taemin to take.

Taemin looks at the hand and then up at Minho. There's no hidden agenda in his action nor the expression on his face. It's earnest honesty that has Taemin reach up for him.

But before they touch, Taemin was pushed away. He fell hard on the concrete just as a harsh light flew past his vision from where he sat.

He opens his eyes and sees Minho far from him, glaring to the side. Following his gaze Taemin sees two men in the rain. One of them has their hand held up with small little lights crackling between his finger tips.

Even though they are both out in the rain, for some reason they are still dry. An invisible force keeping them dry from the rain.

“How can you miss, Chen? He was right in front of you.”

“I kept telling you my powers are hard to control, Suho. I'd like to see you try.”

Taemin gets up unsteadily, keeping his eyes on the two with wariness. More of these guys. Just like the three who kidnapped him and the guy who flew from the clocktower.

Minho creaks his neck and regards the two with annoyance. “Did you pests not learn the first time?”

The guy named Chen has a mocking smile, beckoning Minho to come. “Why don't you come and find out for yourself?”

Chen's hand crackles, throwing a ball of lightning at Minho. Like before it zaps fast and strong. Minho dodges and the lightning hits the wall behind him, leaving a matching charred surface of the lightning he had thrown earlier.

Taemin watches dumbfounded with wide eyes. That had been lightning. He had almost been struck by lightning. He unfroze when he felt himself being picked up and moved far away. He looks up to see it had been Minho who had moved him. Minho disappears from his vision to return to where they originally were. With Taemin being out of the danger zone, Minho has no worries to fight.

At a safe distance Taemin watches Minho dodges lightning attacks with ease that leaves only afterimages. Minho threw a black fireball at his attacker meeting the lightning strike head on. The attacks canceled each other out causing a strong explosion.

The smoke dissipated leaving both of them unscathed, Minho didn't look like he broke a sweat. “Is that all you got?”

On the other hand Chen is catching his breath, his hands on his knees. He has been throwing lightning nonstop, all attacks didn't make contact. He threw a shaky grin. “I'm just getting started.”

Minho scoffs. “Then why does it look like you're about to faint? My strength is beyond compare to yours. The fact it takes the two of you to face me is already telling me enough.”

“Then why don't you come out and face us?” Suho goads. “Scared?”

“That won't be necessary.”

Minho shoots black fire straight at the two in the rain. Suho uses the rain to block and dissipated the attack. The heat and cool rain results in a mist surrounding them.

Chen grins. “What's wrong demon? Afraid to get wet?”

Taemin was shocked. Those two know that Minho is a demon. Did Kai tell them? Is that why they're here?

“Chen, draw him out.”

As soon as Suho got the last word out, Chen disappears so quickly, suddenly appearing in front of Minho's vision with lightning aiming for his face. Thanks to Minho's demon reflexes he was able to dodge half a second before the lightning hits the wall instead. The wall breaks and charred from the power.

This had Minho frowning at the fact that Chen was faster than a normal human. From what he can tell lightning is inaccurate but powerful and fast. This would not be considered as a real challenge to the demon but he should take caution.

Chen didn't lose momentum as he continues his attack against Minho to force him out. A particular vicious swipe from Chen had Minho out in the rain. At the first contact of rain, Minho's eyes widen and grits his teeth, his movements faltered. The shock gave Chen the chance he needs, striking Minho in the chest hard with lightning. The lightning crackles loud at the contact, a rare pained expression crosses Minho's face forcing out a scream.

“Hyung!!” Taemin yells.

Minho drops on his knees, it took sheer will for him to glare at Chen and Suho with fury. His breathing shallow and his chest charred and exposed from the lightning attack. Exposed to the rain, Minho is soaked and his appearance is a mess. He looks worse than the time he faced the three to save Taemin.

It had Taemin screaming for him, intending to run towards him. “Hyung!!”

“Don't come any closer!” Minho yells, causing Taemin to stop. Not even a step into the rain.

Minho shakily stands, his entire body occasionally spasm from the residue lightning. “How – what – ”

“Amazing you're still alive after my attack,” the palm of Chen's hand crackles with lightning. “Usually when humans get strucked by lightning chances they'd survive are one in a million. But you're different, aren't you?”

Minho snarls, clutching his chest. “That's not what I meant!”

Suho had a mocking look like he's thinking. “Oh you mean the rain?” he says. “It's my power to control water. It took some practice to command the rain to my design.” A devious look glints at the corner of his eye. “But the real kicker is the added flavor, I call it Blessing Rain. It rids all the evil from the face of the Earth and washes them away, including demons.”

“Holy water,” Minho spats with venom in his voice. “You made it rain holy water.”

“You made a lot of enemies, demon,” Chen chuckles. “I heard demons burn from this stuff – look at you, being cooked tender.”

The information has Taemin look at Minho concern and fear. Minho is barely standing, the air around him is sizzling. With every drop, pink splotches slowly appearing on his exposed skin. It looks like Minho is being burned by the rain itself.

“Hyung get out of there!” Taemin yells, running out into the rain to get him. “Hyung!”

Suho sighs, with a wave of his hand water gathered into a large body and pushed Taemin back. Taemin was splashed back hitting against the wall, soaking wet from head to toe.

“Our business is not with you,” Suho says to Taemin while keeping his eyes on Minho. “So don't interfere or we might consume you after this.”

Chen spares a brief cursory glance at Taemin. “Strange... that boy didn't get burned. Guess he's not a demon. But why is he with him?”

“Doesn't matter. Let's finish this.”

With some movements Suho has Minho surrounded with water on all side. Because of Minho's weakened state he couldn't escape and soon he became trapped in a ball-like prison made out of water. He encased his fist with black fire, tries punching at the water prison. The black fire dissolves at contact.

“You know, I thought the holy water would instantly kill him at the first drop,” Chen thoughtfully says. “The guy said it'll work because he's a demon. Didn't know it'll take this long.”

“Maybe I should have make him consume it,” Suho says, frowning. “But you're right it's taking too long. Let's speed up the process.”

Minho's prison starts to fill with water inside. Parts of Minho's skin that isn't exposed is burned regardless. Minho panics as he desperately tries to escape. His black fire gets weaker with every attempt, making the situation helpless.

They're intending to drown Minho in holy water.

Taemin shakes from where he stands. Although Minho is a powerful demon even he can suffer and become helpless. Against two beings that are clearly not human using a natural ailment against a demon, there isn't much that Taemin could do. And after they are done with Minho, those two will probably turn their attention to Taemin. He should run away and leave Minho behind to his fate. Ensure his own survival first, it's what any normal person would do.

They're alone and no one can save them.

Except...

Taemin takes a deep breath, his fist clenched tightly to his side, and swiftly takes the first step out. The rain batters his frame and the looming thunder and lightning blinds him. For a moment he felt as though he's been transported back to his memories. Memories of a weather like this as he screams and cries for his brother to save him. Memories of being cold and wet, soaking him to his bones. Memories of helplessness where no one can hear him.

A pained yell cuts through his daze. His vision clears to see Minho trapped and in pain.

He's not that helpless child anymore. He's not there anymore. He's here now to save Minho.

He doesn't know how tensed his body was with the way his nails digging into the palm of his hand. But with his hand loose and taking another step, he feels the tension slipping away from his body. With Suho and Chen preoccupied with Minho, the thunderstorm hides any sound he makes. He walks up to them from behind, only Suho notices him too late. It's when Taemin moves.

And punches Suho's cheek as hard as he can.

Let it be said that Taemin is not a violent person. He's never raised a hand to hurt anyone intentionally. He's thrown punches before but it's only against arcade punch machines or close friends and even then those are light punches that wouldn't hurt anyone.

Is it a smart decision? Probably not. Did he think things through? Not really. Does he have a back up plan? Heck no.

Suho was only stunned by the punch, didn't stagger or falter. Taemin was sure he had put his all behind it but they are not humans. It seems everyone is stunned by Taemin's action, even Taemin himself can't believe what he just did.

And his high came crashing down when Chen grabs him by the throat.

Taemin chokes, Chen's grip is unyielding wouldn't let him escape. Taemin tries to swipe at Chen but his hands were smacked away like a fly. A slight tingling of electricity at the pulse of Chen's finger tips has Taemin gasps to get him to behave. It leaves a slight painful sensation that was overrided with fear clogging up his throat.

Suho gingerly touches his cheek where Taemin punches him. He was so shocked that the water prison that held Minho releases him, dropping him onto the wet ground. Minho was lifeless, couldn't move as the holy rain beats and burns him.

“It seems we've been too lenient on you,” Suho says. At the emphasis of his words, Chen's grip gets tighter causing Taemin to seeing black spots in his vision. “We gave you a chance to leave but you have the audacity to even touch me.”

“What should we do with him?” Chen asks, a sadistic tone in his voice. “He attacked you.”

“Doesn't hurt, felt more like a tap,” Suho offhandedly says. “You can decide to either consume him or kill him. Either option gives the same result.”

Chen smirks. “You heard him. Such a shame, you have a pretty face.”

Taemin thrashes in Chen's grip even harder. This was a stupid thing Taemin did but all he thought about was trying to save Minho. He could see bright lights entering his faded vision followed by sounds of crackling. His breath and his voice barely strangles out.

“Minho!”

In a swift movement Taemin feels he's being pulled away from Chen's grip. There were double screams followed by sounds of clashing and explosion that goes off near his ears. There was unbearable heat surrounding him but quickly recedes. He feels himself being tucked into a soaked body and being moved. When they finally stopped moving, Taemin's vision clears to see a familiar collar bone.

“Minho?”

Taemin's eyes travels up and it is indeed Minho who saved him. Minho looks terrible. His body heaving out of breath, his clothes soaked and teared. The burns on his skin became much worse and his eyes hold residues of his black fire burning and unseeing. He could barely hold Taemin up as he all so slowly slides Taemin down gently.

The sight was enough to make Taemin cry, shakily reaches up to cup Minho's face. “Hyung...”

At the touch Minho flinches and bares his teeth. Taemin pauses for Minho to slowly acclimate. Minho breathing slowly becomes steady, the residue fire in Minho's eyes dims to normal iris.

“Little one?” he croaks out, sounds uncertain as awareness slowly trickles in.

Taemin nods, shakily smiles as his face feels hot even with the cooling rain. “I'm here.”

Minho gives a relieved matching smile, hands trembling to cup Taemin's hand in his. “Taemin...”

Minho suddenly faints, his head slumping against Taemin's shoulder. Taemin clutches the unconscious body, staring up at the crying sky as though it could provide all his answers.

 


 

On the other side of the city Luhan is running through the empty streets under the heavy rain. His body soaked and his gait unsteady, his eyes wide with fear as though he's been chased by a beast.

He steadies himself against a streetlamp, trying to catch his breath. He looks back to see if Changmin is coming after him but nobody is there. He had escaped from the bookstore, free from that monster.

Luhan allows himself to relax and catch his bearings. “I got to get back. But how? Where is this place?”

Someone is coming his way has Luhan tense. He watches a man holding an umbrella to shield from the rain that covers his face. The exposed bottom half of the person's face doesn't look like Changmin has him relaxing a little. Just a random human.

He should consume someone before going back to the compound.

Luhan moves quickly behind the man, reaching out to strike. His hand only touches air, causing Luhan to fall on his hand by surprise. The man is gone.

Luhan wildly turns his head. “What the -”

His unanswered questions is spoken when he feels a presence behind him.

It was the man with the umbrella, revealing a sharp like smile.

A scream was drowned out by the loud downpour of the rain.

 


 

I've been distracted as of late and type whenever I can which at most an hour a day if I'm lucky. That's why my updates are sporadic every 2-3 weeks. I am trying to finish my fic this year because I have something big plan so thanks for your patience.