Chapter 14

The Devil Besides Me

Work has been really stressful but not as stressful as SHINee lol. Minho's insta is a big surprise so don't forget to follow him at @choiminho_1209. Also I manage to catch one of Taemin's Insta live... at 2am... I was actually working on the fic when i caught it but that'll be the last time I will do so that late.

Here you go, Minho's pov chp. Also I'm typing up another SHINee oneshot so hopefully I'll be able to post it before the year ends. I won't use the 2min tag for that so check out my profile if you enjoy my writing.

 


 

Taemin had been taken.

Minho had waited to confront that thing who was all over his human. It smelled all wrong and it was something that had plague him all this time that he couldn't understand what it is.

And when he finally got his hands on that thing, it escapes.

He left Taemin for that short amount of time only to find his human had been taken.

It had been a distraction.

Minho is pissed.

Some scum had kidnapped his human. It had the same kind of disgusting energy as that thing. He's going to find them. He's going to kill them. Burn every single one of them that had laid a hand on his human or had even dared to look at him. They so much had breathe would be a death sentence.

He spreads his senses, follows the connection he has to Taemin to see where and who took him. In the time that he was gone, his human is halfway across town. A desolate plain overlooking the city, three people with a car. He could feel Taemin's presence but he's no where in sight.

You sure about this, Xiumin?” one of them with bored look asks, sitting on the trunk of the car. “Kai isn't here.”

Positive, Luhan,” Xiumin snarls back, looks to be a leader in their group. “You can always go back to Kai – if he's still alive that is.”

M-maybe we s-shouldn't have...” the other stutters, a squirrely looking thing chewing on his thumb nervously. “I mean did Kai know about this? H-how would that guy be able to find us?”

A bang from inside of the trunk has Luhan startled only to bang his fist on the trunk as a response. Xiumin smirks, hands crossed over his chest. “Because we have him.”

He could feel Taemin.

Taemin's emotions flooded through their connection. He's in the dark. He's scared. He's crying. He's crying for Minho.

Minho narrows his eyes before his hand makes a fist, slamming his hand into a car next to him. The car flew from the impact, crashing into a nearby store. The vehicle wailed from the destructive scene causing every nearby human to emerge and see what happened. But Minho doesn't care, walking away with only a mission in mind.

Taemin.

It only takes a blink for Minho to be in the same field as the three. He storms to them, leaving a charred path in his wake. Rage focusing on the scums who took what belongs to him.

“Get ready, boys because he's here,” Xiumin cracks his knuckles in anticipation. You both remember the plan?”

“Of course,” Luhan tilts his head in D.O.'s direction. “Just hope D.O. doesn't mess up.”

“S-shut up!” D.O. glares. “I know what to do.”

The glare on Minho's face says a lot of the three's fate. Luhan and D.O. separated from Xiumin to keep their distance from the demon. It would be futile.

“I'm going to make this simple, brats,” Minho loudly said. “Where is he?”

There's no answer as the ground beneath Minho breaks away. Minho would have fallen in if he hadn't jumped away. He rushes toward Xiumin who instantly called ice stalagmites to erupt from the ground. Minho deftly ducks and has his fist engulf with his dark flames, smashes the stalagmites into little pieces.

“Ya know, now that I see that power for myself I didn't think it's all that impressive,” Xiumin drawls with a smirk. “Especially when I can do this.”

Ice that were broken by Minho's flame rose and increase in numbers. With a flick of both hands, ice shards fell in high speed velocity towards him. Minho summoned his flames to act as a barrier around him, ice instantly melted when made contact.

With his flames acting as a shield that he barely notice the ground rumbling beneath him. Sharp roots erupted beneath his feet to impale him, he had to move his other hand to deflect it away. Concentration broken, some of the shards escaped past him, nicking him in the process. It did nothing to the demon who barely even notice.

Concentrating on two assailants he forgot the third who made his way behind him. Luhan used his telekinesis to pick up the discarded ice shards and sharp roots. Just like Xiumin he raises them up and have them rained down onto Minho. Minho was barely able to raise his fire barrier to behind him to block the attack. It left him open to the roots erupting beneath him and all at once the attacks made contact and a large boom is heard and smoke surrounds them.

“Did we win?” D.O. stammers, calling off his attack.

“Can't be that easy,” Luhan slowly lowers his arms down.

“It'd be boring if he's dead,” Xiumin mutters.

“You're right, it would have been boring.”

Xiumin whirls around, barely able to call up his ice behind him, only to be destroyed with a strong kick. Minho didn't stop his momentum, calling for flames to engulf his fist to completely decimate Xiumin's ice. A strong foot kicked Xiumin in the chest making him land all the way to where Minho was supposedly before.

“Xiumin!” D.O. calls out, rushing for him. He summoned sharp roots to erupt and attack. Minho dodges all of them before appearing in front of D.O. in a blink, bringing his knee up hard, knocking the wind out of him. He grabs D.O. by the collar, his other hand raised behind him to call black flames –

“Stop what you are doing, right now!”

Minho paused and glance behind him. It was Luhan who shouted. He had went back to the car to get Taemin out of the trunk. Luhan holds a rather sharp icicle dangerously near Taemin's neck.

“This boy will get hurt because of you,” Luhan shakily said, moving the icicle closer to Taemin's neck to prove his point. “You want the boy, don't you?!”

Minho didn't let his flame covered hand drop, nor loosen his hold on D.O.'s collar. He clenches his jaw, a growl slipped past his lips. His anger threatened to bubble out of him when he sees what they did to Taemin.

Taemin has vines s around his body binding him tight. There looked to be thorns on the vines, sharply poking into him, causing him pain. Eyes watery and gasping, threatening to cry. Taemin couldn't run, not from the vines nor from Luhan.

And that's when he sees a thin slice of red across Taemin's throat.

They had hurt his human. They had hurt Taemin.

The sight of Taemin hurt and scared had filled the demon with rage. Flares of his energy escape him, burning the field. The very air grew hotter and thick, turning a dangerous eye at the brave scum who made his human feel that way.

Luhan had taken a step back, the hand holding onto the icicle shakes. “Y-You don't want him to get hurt, d-do you?” he repeated, stuttering. “Drop D.O. and step away from him.”

The situation is precarious, one false move and Taemin will have a slashed throat. He doesn't want to take the chance but this is for the sake of his human's safety.

And as soon as he sees a opening, he will draw their deaths slow and painful.

Minho let's go of D.O.'s collar, dropping him like heavy weight. D.O. shakes, crawling backwards to put as much distance between them as possible. Minho drops his flame covered hand and fully turns around to face Luhan, glaring at him.

He could see Luhan's adam's apple move up and down. Good. Being nervous will make them sloppy.

“On your knees,” Luhan orders with shaky confidence. “Hands behind your head.”

Minho's glare intensifies, he'll torture this particular scum slowly when he gets the chance.

Minho drops to his knees, keeping his glare on the kidnapper. His hands raised to eye level, slowly and reluctantly move to the back of his head.

A blast of cold hits him from behind causing him to bow, hands on the ground. Xiumin had got his bearings and threw a blizzard at Minho.

“You think you can beat me?!” Xiumin yells, turning to D.O. “Throw everything you got at this guy!”

D.O. complied, raising his arms out to throw huge pieces of earth taken from the ground. Minho is being buried from the blizzard and earth. A normal human would have died but not Minho. His arms buckled down but he gritted his teeth and endured.

Through it all he kept his eyes on Luhan whose still holding Taemin hostage. He's still waiting for the right moment to strike. It doesn't matter what these scums threw at him. He is the wielder of hell's darkest flames.

There!

In a burst of power and speed Minho flies up above from the rubble he was buried. Everyone was startled by the backlash of the black flames. Xiumin yells when the black flames flare at him. D.O. had been blown back, his back crashed into a tree in a sickening thunk. Minho threw a black fireball close to where Luhan stands, startling him enough so his grip on Taemin is loosed.

Minho flew down in a blink right where Luhan is standing, ripping Taemin away and a hand right on Luhan's face.

“Your friend tried to take what belongs to me,” Minho growls deeply, his hand pushing down on Luhan's face forcing him into a harsher imitation of him kneeling before. He could feel Luhan shaking, his eyes wide between the empty spaces of his fingers. The hunger for violence pounding in his ears, encouraging him for more. “Allow me to give you the same fate.”

His energy draws to the tip of his fingers as Luhan struggles earnestly to get out of his grip. It fills Minho such thrill to see his victim squirm. He will drag this scum's death out and so will his friends. It will be effortless and there will be no escape this time.

“Minho!”

Minho pauses and blinks. He doesn't move his hand, turns his head to who called for him. It was Taemin.

His human is trembling on the ground, still bounded by the vines. Taemin looks up at him, his eyes watery and his lips wobbled.

“Hy-hyung...” Taemin's voice uneven and holding back a sob.

Minho inhaled sharply recognizing the feeling. The same emotion he knows from the first time they met.

Fear. Taemin is scared.

“They won't hurt you,” Minho removes his hand from Luhan to crouch where Taemin is on the ground, reaches out to reassure him. “It's ok.”

But Taemin had flinched back, moving away from him. Eyes wide with terror.

Taemin is scared of him.

For the first time Minho feels dumbfounded. The way Taemin looks at him is the same when they first met, it used to excite him. It feels wrong now when Taemin clenches his eyes, as though anticipating for Minho to strike him. He just –

He lets his hand drop and with the flick of his hand burned the vines with his flames. It startled Taemin badly, quickly patting the burned vines off his body, scared to be burnt.

He couldn't be here much longer.

He couldn't be around Taemin.

Minho turns away to look at Luhan who was just minutes ago about to be burned alive. Luhan had flinched at his gaze. It's all because of them. A whirlwind of thoughts and emotions, to figure out what he should do next before coming up with his next move.

Minho stomps over to where Luhan is sitting on the ground. He knocks him out before dragging the limp body by the back of his shirt to where Taemin is at. Minho wasted no time in scooping Taemin up, cradling him to his chest. He pushes his emotions aside when Taemin went stiff in his embrace before trying to move away.

Taemin looks so small in his arms. His human is trembling with fear of him.

He turns away from the field without looking at the aftermath of the broken landscape, not looking to see if Xiumin or D.O. were still alive. He spreads out his sense to find the irritating human. It doesn't take much effort to find. It only takes a blink and Minho is in front of an unfamiliar building. He pounds on the door until finally the person answers.

It's Onew.

He doesn't trust Onew. Doesn't trust him less than that pompous angel Jonghyun. But this isn't the time for it, doesn't dwell on that thought,

Without a word he drops Taemin into Onew's arms and leaves the bewildered man at the entrance without so much of an explanation or a backwards glance. In another minute Minho appears in the bookstore in front of Changmin with Luhan in towed. In a bad mood, he throws Luhan by Changmin's feet.

Changmin who had been reading his book looks bored and annoyed by his intrusion. “What is it this time?”

Minho nudges Luhan with his foot. “Do you remember when I told you there was a presence lingering near my human that I couldn't identify?”

“Barely.”

“Well here it is.” Minho kicks Luhan hard, rolling him closer to Changmin. Unsympathetic about the harsh grunt from the body gaining consciousness. “And apparently there's more of them.”

Changmin breathes out loudly through his nose before shutting his book. He goes over to where Minho is standing to look what he brought over. “And what do you suppose you want me to do with it?”

“Figure out what it is I guess,” Minho offhandedly said. It became clear he has no idea why he brought that thing here, caught up with the whirlwind of emotions his human had caused him. But he knows those things are trouble to his human. “Keep it here so I can kick it whenever I want.”

Violence is easy. Death is easy. His human Taemin is not. And whatever that human is feeling is affecting him in a way that he doesn't understand. He doesn't like it one bit.

He's going to find them. He's going to burn the rest of them one by one.

Starting with the one who got away.

“This is not your storage facility,” Changmin frowns, has a hand under his chin in thought. “But apart from your energy from roasting this thing I can tell whatever this is feels eroded that I have never encountered before.”

Luhan who hadn't said anything, couldn't free himself from his captor, looks up at them with fear and anger. “Who are you people?”

Minho looks down, finally paying attention to the deadweight he's been lugging around. He tilts his head like a cat whose assessing their prey. His eyes glow bright as his surroundings darkened with the mood.

“You don't want to know who we really are.”