Chapter 26

The Devil Besides Me

Sorry for the delay, been busy and distracted lately. Time passes by so quickly. And when I checked my word doc for this fic, it's 158 pages (*゚ロ゚). It's close to 200 with the plan I have. I don't think I'll be able to finish the fic this year even if I sprint (I'm bad at deadlines, thats why I never join events or nanowrimo). Anyway, enjoy.

 


 

Taemin sighs, sliding down to the floor and thumping the back of his head to the wall. After Minho and Kai left, Taemin searches through his belongings for any evidence of Kai. If what Minho said is correct, there should be physical evidence left behind that was erased.

His room is particularly messy with things taken and piled out. There wasn't anything he could find that would say it originally belongs to Kai. It would have been a useless endeavor until he looks more closely.

Some of his photos are mostly selfies but the way the pictures were taken are angled like there was supposed to be someone next to him. He found knick knacks around his room that weren't his style but when he tries to recall when he first got them, all he could come up with was a blank. Maybe his friends gave it to him but he couldn't recall who.

Taemin closes his eyes, idly playing with the ring he's wearing. The only definite physical proof Kai exists is the ring he's wearing.

“Minho,” Taemin says out loud. Minho isn't here and less likely to answer with the way he's been going around lately. Still Taemin speaks. “What do I do next?”

No one answers. It's only Taemin in the whole apartment. Sometimes he's bewildered about the way he's come to rely this much on Minho. If Minho wasn't here, would Kai and his friends consumed him by now?

The sound of his phone knocks him out of his musing, picking it up. He needs a break and he knows how to get himself relax.

“I'm so glad you came, Taemin!”

The place is dark and flashing, loud bass pumping in the stereo, people intoxicated. Taeyong had texted asking if Taemin wants to go to a nightclub with him. It was such an impulsive decision but with the way things have become hectic in his life, he needs a distraction. He's been meaning to go to a nightclub but Key wouldn't take him and it's not Onew's scene. He's also vindictive that if he goes to this type of place, maybe Minho will appear and drag him back home.

“The club has a two for one special so thanks for tagging along,” Taeyong says as loud as he could over the music. “Otherwise I would be staying at home.”

Taemin inwardly agree because he would have done the same. He needs to get out otherwise all he'll think about is Kai.

“You look like you need to loosen up,” Taeyong drags Taemin to the bar for a drink, receiving two glasses and a bottle of soju. “C'mon, Taemin, one shot!”

Taemin gave a dubious look at the drink Taeyong gave him. He's not much of a soju fan. The expectant look Taeyong gave him has Taemin drink in one go. The drink is fruity but has a sour aftertaste, making him gasp.

Taeyong giggles at his reaction while knocking back his own drink. “Don't worry you'll get used to it. You'll need to drink a bit more to loosen up.”

And more drinks came his way. He shares some fruity drinks that look pretty with Taeyong, that tasted much better than soju in his opinion. Soon enough the effects of alcohol makes him light-headed and hot. He ends up on the dance floor with Taeyong. There's so many people there, their bodies pressing against him. It's easy to lose himself and let his worries fly by. After a few songs he feels tired and thirsty, stumbling back to the bar.

Taemin looks behind him, Taeyong is no where in sight. He probably lost him back at the dance floor. He leans his head on the bar, feeling the cold hard surface cool his hot, sweaty face. A tap next to him has him lifting his head with a confused look.

“Courtesy of the gentleman over there.”

The barkeep had given him a glass of amber color drink on ice, pointing at the person who ordered. Taemin squints at the direction, that guy looks familiar. He takes the glass to drink, almost choking at the taste.

Not a hint of alcohol, it was apple juice.

It made Taemin sober a bit enough to realize who the familiar person is, stomping all the way to the other side. “Key!”

"Should've seen your face!" Key cackles, his body leaning against the counter. “I knew it was you, Taebaby. You never listened to your umma even when I told you not to come here.”

“And you're here, does that mean it's okay?” Taemin looks at Key's flushed face with concern, definitely had way too many drinks. “Key, let's get you home.”

But Key shakes him off, shaking his head. “Uh uh, no no,” he wags a finger in front Taemin's face. “I came out here to have a good time, I don't need baby to babysit me. I don't need some angel to give me those deep brown eyes making me think I should forget it and go back to when things are normal. No! Jonghyun can kiss my -” Key chugs a shot to pause and tries to remember what he was going to say. “-my lips feel swollen. Taebaby this is why I need to keep reminding you to wear lip balm.”

Taemin holds Key's arms steady to stop him from swaying. “How did you end up being plastered like this?”

“Because this drink is addicting,” Key points at a empty glass, ends up tipping it over in his drunken state. “I had what like... ten of these. Tastes way better than somaek. Barkeep! Another two glass, one for me and my friend here.”

Taemin shakes his head, stopping the barkeep from making it. He was about to drag Key away when someone asks. “Is this your friend?”

It was a tall man who had been next to Key the whole time. Unlike Key he is still sober, idly playing with the glass in his hand.

“Taebaby, this guy is so nice buying me those drinks, said that he would cook for me,” Key gestures at the man. “When was the last time you cook, huh? Jonghyun never cooks for me. This guy is so tall, strong body, and he's hot! Like literally hot – feel his skin!”

Taemin had to slap Key's pawing hands away, intercepting so he is standing between Key and the guy. He's trying to drag Key away when the man stands in their way. The man is literally taller than any of them, maybe even taller than Minho.

“Do you need help getting him home?” the man asks. “I have a car parked nearby.”

“No thanks,” Taemin shakes his head. “We'll manage.”

“Oh but I insists.”

The man tries a friendly smile but it doesn't look anything than friendly, probably due to the club's poor lighting and it doesn't help with Key being drunk next to him.

“Taemin that is rude!” Key pats both of Taemin's cheeks. “This guy wants to feed me and take me home. What a gentleman! Unlike that angel, think he's better than us.”

“You don't even know his name,” Taemin takes Key's hands away from his cheeks.

“I know his name! His name is... Jong... Jong...”

“It's Chanyeol,” the man answers for him, still hasn't gone away looking amused.

“Right, Cha-Cha-Chanyeol,” Key wobbles, practically leaning on Taemin. “He's so tall and I like my guy... compact and angular...”

Taemin struggles dealing with Key and having to be the middleman fending off Chanyeol. He tries to get the barkeep's attention but the man is off dealing with other customers' orders. Where is Minho when he needs him?

“Chanyeol, you're still not done yet?”

Taemin sees three people approaching them. His eyes widened seeing Taeyong clinging to one of them like a limpet.

“Look Tao. I found you one,” Chanyeol gestures at Taemin holding Key up. “And I see Baekhyun got one.”

“He's a handful,” Baekhyun has his arm wrapped around Taeyong's waist. “Did pregame while waiting in line for the bathroom.”

Tao makes a disgusted noise. “Seriously man?! Gross!”

“Get your head out of the gutter,” Taeyong lazily pokes at Tao's cheek, still under the influence. “S'not like you got game to begin with.”

This causes the other two companions to laugh at his expense. Using the distraction Taemin slowly and quietly tries to leave with Key only to be stopped by Tao, looking unpleasant and wanting to take his issues out on them. “So which is mine?”

“The drunk one,” Chanyeol grabs Taemin's arm with no pretenses, dragging him closer. “He's hung up on his ex. His chatter is so annoying.”

Taemin struggles in Chanyeol's grip, can feel how hot Chanyeol's hands on him are. This situation is getting to dangerous. Taeyong has no idea the danger he's in and Key is drunk to be unaware. Minho has no idea where he is, whose going to save them now.

“Hey!”

All of them turned and it had been Key looking angry, marching up to Chanyeol. Taemin sighs with relief, maybe Key sobered up.

Key pokes at Chanyeol's chest. “I am not hung up on my ex!”

And then he passes out, leaning on Chanyeol.

Damnit Key.

For a moment no one knows what to do. It was only until Key started snoring that Chanyeol moves to keep Key away from drooling on him. He has to move Taemin over to Tao to do so. Just as the group leaves, someone stops them.

“I don't think they want to go with you.”

“Mind your own business,” Tao retorts over his shoulder, his hands full dealing with Taemin. “We'll take care of them just fine.”

Suddenly Taemin is twirled out of Tao's hold and into another stranger's arms. He looks up at the man but couldn't discern his identity due to the poor lighting in the club. “Oh but I insist.”

He sees the other three approaching them, ready to take Taemin back. But for some reason they stopped in their tracks, faltering as they look at the stranger with shock on their face. He sees the bouncer coming over, separating Taeyong and Key from them. Now he feels slightly relieved.

“Taemin, are you alright?”

The question has Taemin look up at the man curiously. The man doesn't look particularly frightening to stop the three in their tracks. There's an air of familiarity on him that has him slightly trusting of the man who saved him from a dangerous situation. But he can't put the face to a name, drawing up a blank. So he opts to answer to avoid confusion. “I'm fine, thank you.”

The man sighs, glancing at Taemin with amused exasperation. “Your brother is going to be angry about this.”

The mention of his brother clears some confusion when they left the club. Taecyeon arrives, glancing at Taemin and his friends with a look that promises a lecture, talking with the man who saved them. He finally gets a name, Nickhun, Taecyeon's secretary. He only met the man once and that was in passing. How or why he's at the club and inadvertently saved them is not the biggest issue when Taecyeon looks at him with disappointment in his eyes.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

All Taemin could do was stand there, avoid eye contact with Taecyeon. He could count on one hand the number of times Taecyeon would scold him. Although Taecyeon spoils Taemin, he is also strict because he cares and worries for him. He doesn't feel good when Taecyeon disciplines him, his insides turning into knots.

“I don't understand how you could be here out of all places,” Taecyeon says, his hand clutching his temple. “And you were almost – ugh – I just can't. What would our parents say?”

“I'm sorry,” Taemin fidgets under his disappointing stare. Like that's going to help in his situation.

A feeling Taecyeon agrees with, frowning at the useless apology. “It looks like I spoiled you too much, gave you too much freedom and this is what happens.” He sighs, tired as it's now late into the evening. “It's late so we'll continue this tomorrow morning. You will be staying with me. I'll have taxi service drive your friends home.”

Taemin bites his lips, close to arguing. But he's in the wrong this time, having Taecyeon come all the way here in the middle of the night to get him when he has to work early in the morning. It's best to do as Taecyeon says.

“Hey!”

They both turned, it was Key who regained conscious. Key who was waiting with Taeyong to the side wobbles over to them until he's leaning on Taemin's shoulder. Taemin winces at Taecyeon's disgusted reaction to Key's drunken state.

“Tae-man is a full grown adult,” Key says, points at Taecyeon's chest. It causes Taemin to inhale sharply, too shocked to stop him. “My boy chose to be here and doesn't need anyone to baby him no matter how cute his pudgy cheeks still are.” He gives a once-over at Taecyeon, nodding when his eyes reaches his face. “I see your type regularly at the clubs so don't be a hypocrite, daddy-long-legs. It's not attractive even if you're my type.”

Taemin awkwardly laughs, trying to play off Key's drunk behavior. It's not working seeing Taecyeon's flared nostrils meant he's at the end of his patience.

“Is this the type of friends you make, Taemin?” Taecyeon asks, closing his eyes to try and relax himself. “I'll let it slide since he looks too drunk to know what he's talking about. Nickhun, take care of it.”

Taemin feels himself being separated from Key and handled into Taecyeon's car. He sees Nickhun give him a sheepish smile through the car window with a tired Key leaning against him. He tries to talk to Key but Taecyeon is already driving away, Nickhun waving Key's floppy hand at them goodbye.


Nickhun looks down at the drunken state Taemin's friend Key is in. Thankfully there's no more random outbursts, tired and passed out again. Human behavior is so strange.

“Chansung, how are the other three?”

The bouncer who handled Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Tao comes up to him. “I had them put in a spare room,” he answers. “They've been trying to leave so I have to lock them in.”

“Good. Tell Wooyoung I'll need to talk to him later,” Nickhun replies, mildly brushing some of Key's hair out of his eyes. “His carelessness made the boss angry. Also tell Junho to close up the club, I have some things to prepare for.”

“Right away.”

Nickhun looks down at Key with a beguiling smile. Things are finally moving along.