Chapter 31

The Devil Besides Me

Sorry about the delay. I wasn't feeling right and actually came across a writer's block even though this story is gonna end soon in a few chapters. I know the destination but the journey is troubling part. So thank you for those who stayed with me till now.

 


 

“I finally meet a nice, normal, fun guy, flirt a bit, introduce him to a few of my close friends, and then – bam! - he drops this ball on me. How do I even handle that? How does anyone handle something like that?! Is there anyone else whose not human – Taemin put your hand down! Stop saying you're an alien or a mermaid, whatever!”

“Key I already said sorry. How many times do I need to say it?”

“As many times until I feel like it and Taemin stop putting your hand up!”

“You don't know my life!”

With everything that has happened recently, none of them had the chance to relax and let loose. The opportunity comes along for all five of them to relax at Onew's cafe. The cafe is closed for their use to have dinner and spend time together as its been so long the last time they met under normal circumstances.

It seems Key is finally giving Jonghyun a chance and milking it for all that he's worth. With everything out in the open and revealed, the atmosphere is less tense than it was before.

All except one.

“Onew, don't follow this brat's lead and put your hand down!”

This causes both Jonghyun and Minho to tense as they look over at Onew with undivided attention who raised his hand up to Key's rhetorical question. Taemin has a gleeful look waiting for what Onew will reveal and Key being exasperated from Taemin's antics.

“I,” Onew pauses for dramatic effect. “Am an old man.”

Taemin groan and Key shakes his head at the answer. “You always say that!” Taemin complains.

“But it's true,” Onew smiles, taking another piece of rolls from the plate. “I am very, very old.”

“If you're old then what am I?” Key points at him with a bottle in his hand. “You're not that much older than me and yet I'm the only one who has back pain! The only one who can be considered ancient are these two over there – by the way, which of you is older?”

At the mention both Jonghyun and Minho glare at each other, sizing each other up. Their glaring was cut off by Taemin flicking sauce packets in their faces, startling them.

“Even if they're old, they are the least mature,” Taemin states in a manner of pompousness. “That's why Onew is the oldest.”

Key guffaws as both Jonghyun and Minho looks at Taemin with twin bewilderment. “That's the first smart thing you said tonight that makes sense,” Key smacks the table in his glee. His words causes Taemin to pout with Onew shaking his head.

Jonghyun sighs with a good nature smile. “Then who is older after Onew?”

“You,” Taemin points. “Then Key, Minho, and then me. Since I'm the youngest that means I get dessert!”

“You do know that I'm alive for more than hundreds of years,” Minho points out. “Older than your grandparents.”

“The fact that Key is more mature than you is telling something,” Taemin retorts back with a cheeky grin. “Which means you're younger than him.”

Key laughs out loud at Minho's expense. Only Taemin is able to get away messing with Minho without suffering his wrath so Jonghyun will take advantage as much as he can. “Taemin, does that mean you will need to call Minho ahjussi instead?”

Key chokes on his saliva from laughing too much and Minho gives Jonghyun a death glare. But Jonghyun has a mild expression in the face of the demon like the angel he his.

Taemin shakes his head and smiles. “Minho is hyung.” He then points at them one by one. “Key is umma. Jonghyun is ahjussi. Onew is halabeoji (grandpa).”

Key now has his face down, laughing muffled. Minho looks smug. Jonghyun pouts at his advantage turned against him. Onew doesn't look faze, smiling mildly and pats the top of Taemin's head like he would a child. “In theory?”

Taemin smiles like a bodhisattva. “In theory.”

That's how their night goes. While Taemin and Key went into the kitchen to get desserts, the two ethereal beings took the opportunity to question the mysterious cafe owner.

“So,” Minho starts. “What are you really?”

“I didn't lie,” Onew raises an eyebrow as he sips his drink. “I'm an old man.”

“Alright then,” Jonghyun's turn. “How old are you? When were you born?”

The questions was specific and yet Onew gives a thoughtful hum before he answers. “Hundreds, I stopped counting. There were emperors and warlords back then.” His eyes dimmed, caressing the edge of his cup in thought. “I outlived my family, I don't even remember what they looked like anymore. Any friends or acquaintances I made are only temporary compared to my life span.”

“But you're human, there's no denying that,” Minho says. “Are you immortal?”

“Might as well be,” Onew shrugs. “I can't get sick or aged. I tried to... end it. Didn't really take. I even found myself regenerated and rejuvenated one time when my head got chopped off.”

Nobody at the table reacts to the gory details, suddenly finding the table or whatever is in front of them more interesting to look at than each other.

Onew sighs as he tries to lighten the mood. “Doesn't really hurt much – decapitation I mean. Unless they were hacking with a dull blade. Bullet to the head - because of my disposition it kind of hurts. The bullet is just stuck there and it gets hot because the body -”

“OK we get it!” Jonghyun slaps the table, his other hand pinching the space between his brows. “We're just trying to figure out how is it possible? You're clearly human but you're not especially what you're claiming to be alive for a long time.”

“You want my life story,” Onew looks at them with a glint in his eye. “Taemin knows it.”

“What?!” Minho looks surprised. “Taemin knows and he didn't tell me?!”

“I told Taemin and he knows it by heart,” Onew replies. “Key knows about it but he probably forgot. I don't just tell anyone this but since you are both alright, I think I'll tell you.”

“Tell them what?”

Taemin and Key arrived back with some cutlery and desserts, oblivious to the discussion that took place. For some reason Jonghyun and Minho felt tense at the intrusion like they were caught speaking about something taboo.

Only Onew looks at ease, smiling up at them. “You chose the waffle and shortcake? Did you heat it up?”

“I used your oven if that's alright with you,” Key answers as he sets up the table. “Taemin added the whip cream. So what was it you wanted to tell them?”

“They wanted to hear about the story of the blue star.”

Jonghyun and Minho looks confused. Taemin claps his hands, excited. “I like that story even though it makes me sad.”

Key sighs, sitting down to get comfortable. “It's Onew's story. Who are we to change it?”

The story sets in ancient Korea where an aspiring scholar discovered a blue star that fell from the sky. When the blue star is absorbed into him, the scholar discovers he became immortal. From then the scholar goes on an adventure; going to new places and meeting new people. The scholar often encounter misfortunes at the end of each journey, only to find a new path that leads him to another adventure.

Suddenly it makes sense why Taemin and Key know what Onew is and yet do not know. Onew spins it like a story.

After cleaning and closing up shop, Key decided they're going to have a sleep over at Taemin's place. Or at least just him and Taemin. Onew mentioned he has an early morning so he can't go. Minho and Jonghyun aren't invited because it's “humans only”.

“You do know that I live with Taemin, right?” Minho mentions with what looked to be a lecherous look. “I'll have to go back later. I even have my own room. But... we slept together on the same bed.” With emphasis.

This causes Key to screech as he tries to attack the smug demon, being held back by the exasperated Taemin and Onew. Jonghyun looks Minho dead in the eye and began to pat the top of Taemin's head, causing the smug look on Minho's face to drop.

Taemin nervously chuckles, trying to appease Key. “Nothing happened I swear! Minho is usually off in his own room or somewhere – hahaha – Minho tell them!”

But whatever Jonghyun did, made Minho have a sour look. Even moving away from Taemin when he tries to nudge him. All it does made him look petty.

After that Taemin and Key left to catch the bus, leaving Minho and Jonghyun waiting outside the cafe for Onew to closing up.

“That was dirty,” Minho sneers at Jonghyun whose looking calm. “Covering Taemin with blessing.”

“If it keeps your dirty mitts off,” Jonghyun shrugs, looking at Minho carefully. “You've been quite amiable tonight. Did something happen?”

“Do I get a gold star for my behavior?” Minho sneers.

“I'm serious. I know we have our ups and downs but I want to get along with you,” Jonghyun replies with a serious tone. “Especially since we're always meeting together. For a demon, you're not so bad.”

This causes Minho to scoff. “For an angel you're still a prick. Will you still say that when I take Taemin's soul? Will you stop me?”

“You could have taken him all this time and yet you didn't,” Jonghyun tilts his head. “At this point will you actually take him?”

Before Minho can answer, Onew approaches them having finished closing up. “OK now that it's just the three of us, what shall we do?”

Minho rolled his eyes, opting not to answer. Jonghyun's attention is diverted to Onew. “That story''s ending, is it true?”

Onew shrugs. “It's a wish.”

Jonghyun frown. “To be reunited with the ones you lost... I shouldn't tell you this but that's almost impossible especially with that many years. As for the other one... I can look into it for you.”

“I never really hide what I really am. Not with anyone I'm ever with.” Onew has a sad smile and shakes his head. “It's fine. It's a selfish wish with this gift I was given. It's something I hope for someday but I'm content spending my days like this until I have to pack my bags and move on.”

Minho looks at Onew curiously. “How did you meet Taemin?”

“Taemin?” Onew tilts his head in thought. “Taemin first came to the cafe when he was in high school. For a high school student he's quite adorable. He used to come with this other kid...”

Onew paused and his thoughts trailed off has Minho and Jonghyun look at him curiously. Jonghyun had to snap his fingers at him to get him to focus.

“Urgh, sorry -” Onew shakes his head, his hand clutches at his temple. “Where was I... Oh. One day Taemin came in alone and in a sad mood. Looking at his sad face breaks my heart so I tried to comfort him. I wasn't the only one who felt like that because Key also stepped in and took Taemin under his wing. That's actually the first time they met. Key always sequestered himself in the corner of the cafe so that he can do his work. To have him step out for Taemin's sake – after that the three of us became friends.”

Onew had a soft smile thinking back to those days but Minho frowned. “Who was the kid that originally came with Taemin?”

Before Onew can answer, a sharp icicle was thrown aiming at his head. Minho instinctively shot up to block it with his flames, melting it instantly. This causes Jonghyun and Onew to become tense from the unexpected attack.

“Awww... why did you move?”

Xiumin saunters towards them, tossing his ice shards in his hand. But he didn't come alone. Kyungsoo follows behind him along with Chen.

Minho clicks his tongue, his shoulders back baring his full height. “Back for a beat down? You know how this goes last time.”

Chen growls, the lightning crackles behind him in agitation. “We'll see about that.”

Jonghyun turns his head to Onew. “Get out of here, we can take care of this.”

Onew huffs. “Can't you take this somewhere else? You'll wreck my place of business.”

Minho growls. “Why don't you both get out of here before you get in my way!”

“Doesn't matter to either of us, because you're all gonna die.”

A blast of water shot out from above them, they all barely able to dodge out of the way. Up at the rooftops is Suho surprise attacking them from above.

Seeing Suho again has Minho's blood boiling, couldn't forget the rain of holy water he had endured. He was about to take another step when Jonghyun gets in his way with a sword appearing in his hand.

“Is this the one that you said who can make it rain holy water?” Jonghyun swings the sword in his hand a couple times. “I have some questions for him.”

Onew cracks his knuckles and moves to ease the kinks in his neck. “That leaves me and Minho with the other three. Don't worry, I'll take the shifty looking fella and the rude boy. I'm the eldest, after all.”

Kyungsoo who hasn't said anything pouts. “Who are you calling shifty looking?!” He stomps his foot and tiles broke away from the street, ready to attack.

In his mind Minho feels bewildered of Jonghyun and Onew's presence. The feeling outrage but also something he couldn't describe. A feeling he isn't alone to face this threat.

Shaking those useless thoughts out of his head, Minho clicks his tongue. “Just don't get in the way.”

Without hesitation he shot black flames at Xiumin and company, to get rid of them once and for all.

 


 

“So what are you gonna do about Minho?”

Taemin huffs. “What do you mean what am I gonna do with Minho?”

“He's been living with you for how long?” Key says in a 'matter of fact' tone. “Did you charge him rent for living with you?”

“How can I charge him rent?” Taemin asks bewildered, doesn't expect their conversation would be like this. “Does he even have money?”

“He mentioned he's old so he must have money somewhere and maybe conjure it,” Key waves him off, like he's talking about the weather. “But that's not the only thing I meant. What you're gonna do about Minho.”

They took their time walking to Taemin's apartment. Now that Key knows, questions will inevitably come up but a heavy burden has been lifted. This was the main reason why Key wanted a impromptu sleepover with Taemin without the presence of the demon and angel.

And it seems like almost everyone wants to know what will happen between him and Minho. He still doesn't know what to do with him and even doesn't want to know what will happen in the future. Couldn't they go the rest of their days like how they were now?

Taemin shrugs, playing off his nerves. “I might write a will, just in case...”

Key clicks his tongue and frowns. “I'll fight him if he tries to take you away.”

“Key, he's a demon.”

“That won't stop me from trying. I'll use a bible to beat him.”

“That doesn't work on him, I tried.”

Key shakes his head. “As far as demons go, he's not bad. Barely acceptable though.”

“Key, he's the only demon you know.”

“And I like to keep it that way.” Key snorts. “Hey, remember that time when I thought Minho was a prosti-”

“He'll kill you if you say that. Even I won't be able to stop him.”

They finally reach Taemin's apartment and opens the door. Key looks confused when he steps in.

“Taemin, did you forget to turn off your lights when you left?”

“I don't remember,” Taemin frown. “Possibly.”

He scans his apartment, nothing is amiss and out of place. Key heads straight to Taemin's refrigerator in the kitchen. “You're out of banana milk.”

“I could have sworn I restocked,” Taemin goes to where Key is. Lo and behold, no banana milk.

“Did Minho drink them all?”

Taemin shakes his head. “He doesn't care much for the taste. He only drinks it when I give it to him.”

Key sighs and shuts the refrigerator. “Taemin you can't still be drinking banana milk at this age. You're all grown up and -”

Whatever Key has to say was cut off. Taemin looks at him curiously and follows Key's line of sight in the direction of his bedroom. The light is also on except Key is tense, frozen from his spot.

“I thought I heard something.”

The words causes Taemin to tense as well. Key silently picks up a frying pan and carefully makes his way to the bedroom without making a sound with Taemin following behind.

They reached the edge of the door, Key uses the frying pan to open the door silently revealing someone inside.

“Kai?”

Kai is lying on Taemin's bed with a few books around him. Cartons of empty banana milk surround him creating a mess. Just looking at the mess in his own bedroom causes an ugly feeling to rise in Taemin's chest. It doesn't help the fact that, Kai is acting like this is his own bedroom.

Kai looks up from the book he was reading when Taemin says his name. “Took you long enough.”

Taemin pursed his lips at the sight. “What are you doing here?”

“I was waiting for you,” Kai sits up properly from the bed. “You said I'm always welcome to come here.”

“I prefer it if you gave me a heads up though,” Taemin frown. “What's up?”

Key had been watching their exchange carefully. And even when Taemin acknowledges he knows Kai, Key doesn't let his guard down. If anything he's even more on guard, subtly moving by Taemin's side and not taking his eyes off Kai. “Taemin, who is this?”

“This is Kai,” Taemin introduces. “A friend.”

“Friend?” Key tilts his head assessing Kai's unkempt appearance. “I never heard of him from you before.”

“Funny thing,” Kai gets up from the bed and stands to his full height that towers over Key. “He certainly never mentions you.” His eyes flicker at the frying pan Key is still holding with an amused look. “Were you going to cook something?”

“I have other use for it.”

Taemin nervously looks back and forth between Key and Kai, tensions running between the two. Key is angry about Kai's unwanted presence and lack of manners. Kai intimidating the newcomer and angry of the self-proclaimed friend.

Taemin nervously laughs to break the tension. “So Kai, what is it that you need?”

“Can't I visit you?” Kai's eyes never moved from staring down Key. The smirk on Kai's face has Key fuming. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too and can't we -”

“Are we actually ignoring this right now?!”

Key moves so that he's between Taemin and Kai, giving Kai a particular harsh look. “You showed up uninvited in someone's apartment. Decided to wait in someone's bedroom, going through their stuff, and eating their food. You didn't even give a heads up – if we didn't know any better, you could have been a burglar.”

“And you!” Key turns his attention on Taemin. “You had a bad habit of downplaying the severity of situations to the point of no return! Your friend showing up in your apartment without notice?! How does he even get in?”

Key's lecture has Taemin shrinking in himself. But he knows Key's anger comes from a place of concern and worry. As Kai shows up out of the blue without regard raises a red flag in Key's books.

The smirk on Kai's face drops. “You can't talk to Taemin like that.”

“That's none of your business,” Key snarls. “Even that demon knows proper etiquette -”

“You know about the demon?”

Key gives Kai a suspicious look. “You know him?”

Taemin sighs. “He knows about Minho.”

“Huh,” Key nods as he takes in the information before brushing it off. “It doesn't matter. As I was saying you can't just be staying here like this without expecting -”

His words get cut off when Kai suddenly puts his hand over Key's face. Both Taemin and Key were stunned by the unexpected action.

“You're too loud.”

And in an instant Key disappears into thin air.

Taemin's reaction was slowed, doesn't know what actually happened. A second later he screams and looks at Kai with horror. “What did you do?!”

“He was so loud,” Kai shrugs, plopping himself down on Taemin's bed. “How can you stand that guy?”

“Where is he?!” Taemin yells, grabbing the collar of Kai's shirt, freaking out over Key's disappearance. “What happened to him?!”

The nonchalant in Kai's attitude diminishes, looking at Taemin dead in the eye with a indescribable look. “You care about that guy more than me?”

The question sounds dangerous in Taemin's ears, causing him to realize he is grabbing Kai by his collar. This is the first time Kai acted in this manner and somehow Key disappears with just a touch of his hand. Kai, someone who Minho considers as dangerous, who doesn't want Taemin to ever be alone with him.

With great reluctance Taemin lets go of Kai's collar and takes a step back away from him. He takes a deep breath to compose himself. “What happened to Key?”

Kai has been watching him carefully, assessing him like a cat with their prey. Taemin is tense, doesn't know what will happen if he makes the wrong move.

More than seconds passes in tense silence that would have Taemin squirm if not for that unknown fear until Kai finally deigns to answers. “He's fine. He's at the corner store two blocks away.”

Taemin let's out a breath of relief but he doesn't have time to fully relax as that is the wrong move to make.

“What did you think would happen to him?”

Kai get's up so that he is in Taemin's space, looking down at him with contempt. “Did you think so less of me?”

Taemin frowns, his neck tilts to meet Kai in the eyes. “You can't do that.”

“Sure I can,” Kai says. And he disappears in a blink of an eye, just like what happened to Key.

“It's part of my powers. I can teleport but I can also teleport people and things with just a touch.”

Kai's voice comes from behind Taemin, causing him to swerve around bewildered. But he doesn't stay behind Taemin for long and in an instant he's on top of Taemin's bed with a new carton of unopened banana milk and a bag of jelly candies.

“This power is really convenient,” Kai explains as he opens the bag and digs through it. “Saves a lot on transportation. I could of have ice powers like Xiumin or throw fireballs like Chanyeol. But this power of mine, I can go any where I want. And I can get rid of whoever I want. Nothing can stop me.”

Kai finds what he is looking for in the bag and offers them to Taemin. In his hand were strawberry flavored jelly candies, Taemin's favorite. But Taemin doesn't move to take it, looking at Kai with a feeling of weariness, a different perspective of someone he once thought of as a harmless friend.

Kai caught on to Taemin's thoughts and retracted his hand, smiling and yet not a smile. “I thought you know about it. I never hide that from you.”

Taemin doesn't relax from it. He repeats his question. “Why are you here?”

Kai doesn't deign to answer, opening the wrapper of the candy he previously offered to Taemin and eats it like he hasn't heard Taemin speak. He makes a show of moving the candy in his mouth, keeping eye contact with Taemin standing before him. His eyes doesn't move away from Taemin and swallows the candy, finally speaks.

“I miss you.”

A simple answer that caused this situation to spiral out of control. Taemin has the urge to shake Kai for being the cause of this. All the good feelings he had prior to entering his home disappears because of Kai. Now all he wants is for Kai to leave and to find Key to make sure that he's okay.

Kai narrows his eyes. “I can see I'm the only one who thinks that. And to think I came all this way to see you.”

Suddenly Kai seizes Taemin's hand. Taemin flinches at the sudden action and looks down at what Kai is doing.

Kai is looking at the ring Taemin has on his finger. It was a couple ring set as the other also rests on Kai's finger. Something small and insignificant to Taemin's eye is a key to the mystery of Kai's forgotten past.

“You kept it.” Kai breathes out.

“Yes,” Taemin replies. But he couldn't care less any more.

It looks as though Kai is lost in thought over the appearance of the ring that Taemin has to shake his hand out of Kai's grasp for him to let go. “Stay here if you want, I need to go.”

Taemin turns to leave only for his face to meet Kai's collarbone. Kai had teleported and blocked Taemin's way.

“So you're abandoning me.”

Taemin frowns. “That's not it.”

“Then why are you leaving?” Kai asks, the look on his face is indescribable as he crowds Taemin to walk back into his room. The back of Taemin's knees hit the bed, forced to sit down to have Kai now standing over him.

“I thought you were my friend, Taemin-ah,” Kai says, the tone in his voice causes Taemin to inwardly shiver. “Don't I hold a place in your heart?”

“Why are you acting like this?” Taemin asks, nervousness laced in his voice. “This isn't like you.”

This causes Kai to laugh, throwing his head back. But his laughter is not one of mirth.

“You don't know me at all.”

Kai reaches out for Taemin slowly. It wasn't an abrupt action like what happened to Key. With a finger just barely a breath away Taemin couldn't help but flinch away and clenches his eyes. When nothing happened and Taemin opens his eyes, the finger hovers near him innocently. He looks up and meets Kai's eyes, tense at the look he held.

An unkind smile stretches across Kai's face as he moves away. “While I was waiting for you I found something interesting.”

Kai pulls out something that has Taemin's eyes widened.

It was a summoning circle. The same sigil that he used to summon Minho.

“It was under your bed collecting dust,” Kai muses. “Left there forgotten.”

Taemin hasn't seen that summoning circle for a long time, has thought that it disappeared and part of a dream. To see it in front of him... he gets a bad feeling about this.

 


 

Thanks for reading! And before you all start yelling OOC there will be an explanation in the next chapter. More mysteries will be unraveled! Upvotes, comments, bookmarks, and subscriptions are appreciated!