Chapter 20

The Devil Besides Me

Thanks for waiting patiently, here's a new chapter

 


 

“Demon hyung, which flavor do you prefer?”

“Which ever you prefer, little one.”

“I'm okay with either... I'll just get both.”

How is this his life Minho has wondered as he accompanies Taemin grocery shopping. From the wielder of hell's darkness flames to shopping for tonight's dinner with the little human. If Changmin or anyone from Hell sees him like this, he'll be a laughing stock . He tells himself its only to make sure Kai and his friends won't get any funny ideas with taking Taemin when he isn't around.

And yet he couldn't find himself to care. Taemin didn't complain, even getting him involved with the shopping like asking for his opinion on which flavors to get. After that scare with the clocktower and repeatedly reminding Taemin about the constant danger he is, Taemin doesn't act any different. In fact it feels like he's getting more friendlier than he should.

“Demon hyung, can you get that packet over there? I can't reach.”

“The blue one or the yellow one?”

“The yellow one. It's chicken flavor.”

And another thing he's noticing is the little nicknames they had for each other demon hyung and little one. He doesn't know who started opting to call each other this instead of their names. Minho had pointed out repeatedly in the past but eventually he let it slide. Having Taemin respond to little one and Taemin calling him demon hyung fuels a type of familiar possessive feeling so he lets it slide.

It was all subtle and he should have known better than to indulge the little human. By now he should've taken Taemin's soul and move on to the next human. Yet he's become all domestic-like. From sharing a meal, watching TV, and even sharing the same space. He even has his own room in the apartment after Taemin airs out the guest bedroom. Sometimes he helps Taemin preparing their meal together, finding it preferable than eating out.

“Demon hyung, can you carry the bags? It's heavy.”

Minho looks at the mentioned bags in Taemin's hand with consideration. “Make a contract with me and I'll consider it.”

Taemin pouts. “Seriously demon hyung?! So stingy.”

Minho shrugs and leaves Taemin behind him at a much slower pace. For a demon he's being petty but that's what Taemin gets for not listening to him.

“Kai would've carried it for me.”

Minho frowns, stopping in his tracks. Taemin has gotten cheeky lately, mentioning the annoyance every now and then. A jab to get Minho to do something he knows that he wouldn't have bothered.

Unfortunately he finds himself falling for it most of the time. Minho stomps back to where Taemin is walking, grabbing the bags in Taemin's hands. He doesn't let Taemin say even a word before leaving him behind.

Taemin jogs to keep up with him. His hands spread out now free as an open smile grace his face. “Thanks, demon hyung.”

Minho gives Taemin a flat look, doesn't reply to the human's cheeky smile.

“The food blogger I follow made some curry and I wanted to try,” Taemin explains. “That's why I bought more than usual. I bought some with different flavors and enough in case I mess up.”

“You mean like that honey and milk ramen you made last week?”

“Well I recalled that you ate it so I count that as a success.”

“I only ate two bites before I threw it out.”

Now its Minho's turn to look smug at Taemin's sullen face. “I thought demons don't have tastebuds,” Taemin pouts. “I knew something was up when you didn't say anything about it.”

“Your thought process is outstanding to experiment on ramen and demons,” Minho flatly replies. “It's beyond my imagination on how you can come up with such a thing.”

“I think I used too much water for the ramen,” Taemin frowns. “It absorbed all the honey and milk so the noodles got expanded.”

“...I don't think that's the issue here but I can tell you it is not fit for human consumption.”

Taemin laughs and looks up at the sky. Dark clouds have rolled in, looking ominous and the air heavy. “The weather report didn't say it's going to rain,” the smile Taemin has drops. “But it looks dark. I hope we can get home before it starts.”

“Well I can always teleport us,” Minho suggests.

“Really?”

“But you need to make a contract with me.”

Taemin bumps against Minho's shoulder. “Stingy.”

Minho smiles with a nonchalant attitude. “We'll be home before the rain starts.”

Thankfully they made it back home just in time. He watches Taemin puts the groceries in the proper place. But the look on Taemin's face has him staring. All the good cheer when they were going home evaporated, leaving Taemin quiet and frowning like the gloomy weather outside.

“Is something on your mind?” Minho asks from the position on the couch.

“Hmm?” Taemin looks up and blinks at Minho's question. It took a second longer as Taemin shakes his head. “I'm fine, just not feeling it today.”

Now it's Minho's turn to frown because that's a lie. Taemin had been in a good mood all day right before heading home with groceries. There's something on Taemin's mind that he wouldn't talk about so he observes Taemin going through the motion. The rain splatters against the windows, filling in the silence from the lack of conversation.

Instead of making curry, Taemin prepared cup noodles for the both of them to eat. He doesn't attempt experimenting on the ramen, not even making small talk, causing Minho to find Taemin's behavior odd. He watches Taemin all but devours the noodles, rushing to get ready for bed despite how early it still is. By the time Taemin gets out of the bathroom, the rain pounds heavily against the windows and Minho still doesn't have his answer.

In his musing he barely caught Taemin's bid of turning in early, frustrated from the lack of answers. The outside weather matches the mood of how he feels, with the occasional flashes of lightning follow by the thunder.

Could it be?

Minho makes his way to Taemin's bedroom, just a brief peek to see if his assumption is correct. Opening the door he sees Taemin curled up in a small ball on the far side of the bed, his blanket wrapped around him covering his head. The sight confirms it and his feelings through their bond only cements it.

Taemin is terrified.

It was odd that what could have Taemin scared so suddenly. Did Taemin see one of Kai's friend? But that's impossible because Minho is with Taemin the whole time. He's vigilant in his surroundings and would have sense those pests even a mile away. He wouldn't let Taemin be in danger ever again.

“What happened?” Minho rushes in. “Were you injured? Hurt?”

“Go away!”

Minho mouths pulls to taut as he sits on Taemin's bed. “Not until you tell me what's going on.”

“It's none of your business-”

A particularly loud clap of thunder startles a squeak as Taemin curls inward tighter. It doesn't help with the rain pounding ever so loudly, drowning Taemin's whimpers in the noise.

Something stirs within Minho to act as he quickly gathers Taemin into his arms, blankets and all. He lays out on the bed, one arm keeping Taemin secure against his chest, the other to cupping the back of his head. Lanky legs tangled in his own feeling bulky and uncomfortable until he settles in a comfortable position. The same care and tenderness of his embrace when he jumps to save Taemin from his fall.

Startled Taemin looks up, the blanket falls from his head one-sided revealing his face pale and eyes watery. His hands crushed to Minho's chest, wrinkling the fabric of Minho's shirt and blanket. When their eyes meet, the breath from Minho's lungs escapes. But he was forced back into reality when Minho realizes that Taemin is trembling in his arms.

“Demon hyung?” Taemin whispers.

Minho looks away from Taemin to avoid his innocent eyes. “A college student shouldn't be afraid of something like a thunder storm,” his grip tightens around Taemin. “Don't think too deeply about it.”

Taemin was about to say something when another thunder struck. The sound had Taemin bury his head against Minho's shoulder. His shivering ease as Minho soothingly rubs his back up and down. Minho swallows a bile, this kind gesture is uncharacteristic for the demon.

“I don't like thunderstorms,” Taemin mumbles. “Too loud, can't fall asleep. Stupid, isn't it?”

Minho hums, his hand smoothing the back of Taemin's head. Repetitive motion, tactile comfort. He doesn't know what he can do to help Taemin stop feeling this way. It's his first time comforting a human like this.

“Do you want me to bring you to Onew's?” Minho quietly suggests. “I can teleport you there free of charge.”

Surprisingly Taemin shakes his head. “No,” he whispers. “I'm used to it.”

It doesn't comfort Minho in the slightest at what Taemin is implying. That everytime there is a thunderstorm Taemin would be scared like this. And living alone in an apartment, not even his closest friends know about Taemin's fear.

Taemin looks so small and vulnerable, curled up in his arms. It would be easy to take Taemin's soul now. The vulnerability and weakness is just begging for him to take action. Just looking at him makes something in his chest beat in a way that demons shouldn't feel. He could blame that on indigestion or Taemin's own heart beat syncing with his own.

“That's brave of you,” Minho whispers, so quietly the words are almost lost against the pounding rain. It only made his heart pound louder echoing through his words.

But with how close they are, Taemin hears it clearly, tilting his head up and pouting. “Are you mocking me?”

Minho shakes his head. “It's perfectly normal. Humans are naturally afraid of things but fear is designed to warn and inspire humans to get out of dangerous situations. Thunderstorms are no exception. Whatever you're afraid of, your feelings are valid.”

Taemin blinks, tucking his chin against Minho's chest. “What about demons? Are demons afraid too?”

“Naturally,” Minho replies. “Fear applies to all living things and are different to every individual. Even demons.”

“Then what is demon hyung afraid of?”

Minho doesn't have fear. As the strongest demon in hell there is very little to be afraid of. But since staying on Earth his fears, or at least concerns, have skewed squarely toward one common theme; Taemin. Taemin getting hurt, Taemin dying, Taemin being taken away. And it happened two too many times, making Minho stress with worry.

Demons are naturally possessive of things that belongs to them but his concerns for Taemin has nothing to do with possession. Something he doesn't want to acknowledge.

He's afraid.

“Your honey and milk ramen,” Minho says instead. “It gives me the heebie jeebies.”

Minho feels Taemin quiver in his hold, wondering if he had said the wrong thing. But the light pound on Minho's chest and huff like breathes says otherwise. Taemin is smiling, silently laughing. “You're such a dork, hyung.”

Minho's heart threatens to burst.

“I don't know how you came up with the idea,” Minho quickly says, giving Taemin a poke to his side causing him to squeal. “Even now the thought of the ramen still haunts me. An idea that truly belongs to Hell, patent pending.”

Taemin huffs. “You flatterer, maybe I'll be a better demon than you,” he yawns. “Hell won't see me coming.”

“Hm. I'll take your word for it. Do you think you can sleep now?”

“I don't know...” Taemin says, unsure. “Will you stay with me?”

“Of course,” Minho tucks Taemin beside him. “I'll keep you safe.”

Taemin sighes, his head now lying against Minho's chest. “I'm not afraid of thunderstorms, it's mostly a bad memory that is associated with it,” he confesses. “I got lost when I was young and it rained very bad. Taecyeon hyung found me, saved me from being lost in the rain. I get nightmares when it rains like this, even after all these years I'm still acting like this.”

A loud thunder claps outside but it's softer than before. The rain pounding starts to feel what akins to a heartbeat now. This time Taemin doesn't flinch at the noise and light.

“These types of storms don't last very long,” Minho tucks a strand of hair behind Taemin's ear. “I'm here now. Taecyeon hyung isn't here so I'll protect you from the thunderstorms. I'll protect you from everything.”

It was bold of him to make such statement, wanting to take it back now before Taemin assumes the worst. But he feels Taemin yawn again, allowing his body to fully relax in Minho's embrace. And Minho himself is barely awake. His body feels heavier with Taemin as a comfortable weight curled up against him. Just as he closes his eyes, a small whisper is answers against his chest.

“Thank you, Minho hyung.”

For a long moment it's just the two of them simply existing, clutching each other as they both fall into a dreamless sleep.

 


 

On the other side of the city in a high rise hotel, Taecyeon stares out at the expanse window, watching the heavy rain fall against the thick glass. Lightning had struck and the thunder had clapped but Taecyeon didn't react. Not even a twitch.

My poor hyung, you're getting wet from the rain. Taeminnie will protect you.

His mind trapped in those memories so many years ago, words kept replaying in a loop in his head.

“My Taeminnie, are you thinking about me? Your hyung is thinking about you a lot.”

 


 

Everybody look at the fanart I made for this fic! Follow me on twitter @TGIntentX for exclusive content and don't forget to like, reshare, and comment!

Poll for my next project is now closed! And the result... well it's to be expected since I promoted this on a 2min fic. Since I'm feeling generous I will pick three

Winning next project is.... 2min Pirates AU, SHINee OT5, and Witcher!Taemin

I might start on these in September because I want to concentrate on TDBM fic. And if you hadn't known I had already made a fanart with Taemin as a Witcher posted on my twitter. I will write a Taemin!Witcher fic and possibly draw a Yennifer but which SHINee member should it be?

As for the rest of the prompts I will put it in the backburner. If motivation and energy strikes, they might see the light of day

That's all for now and don't for get to subscribe, upvote, and comment!