Chapter 29

The Devil Besides Me

So I got sick and my motivation to write tanked. And when i returned to writing lets just say getting from plot point a to b gets confusing. I know how the story will ends, just having difficulty on getting there.

Enjoy!


“Are you sure Key would like it?”

“Positive, don't be nervous.”

It had been a surprise when Onew showed up in front of his door first thing in the morning, planning to go to Key's apartment together. He doesn't know how or why but he's thankful for the company. Even more so with Onew lends a hand to help Taemin prepare food to bring over to Key. When asked, Taemin uses the excuse of Key being hungover. Thankfully Onew didn't press further and instructs him how to prepare the food.

The incident with Key has left Taemin with worry and guilt for dragging Key into this mess. And with Minho's absence it felt like he's close to crumbling.

Key opens the door haggard and tired. Overall he looks normal albeit less dressed. “Did we make plans or something?”

Onew raises the bag of food to show him. “You hungry?”

Key's eyes lights up to the offer of food, ushering them in. It quickly diminishes to disappointment when he realizes they brought over hangover soup. “I ain't sick.”

“It's good for you,” Onew smoothly replies. “Don't worry, we added some things so it's not as bland.”

“We?” Key shifts his eyes to Taemin, narrowing his eyes with suspicions.

Taemin pouts. “It's not poison, you meany.”

“But is it edible? I remember you tried to feed me that honey noodle thing.”

“It's Taemin's idea,” Onew smoothly interjects. “It has the Onew's seal of approval and supervision.”

Key gives a reluctant sigh. “Thanks guys.” And takes a bite. He nods his head at the taste and takes more eager bites, even eating the bread that comes along with it. When he realizes what he's doing, he coughs in his hand, embarrassed. “It's... acceptable.”

Laughter broke out as Key continues his meal. Seeing Key eating with a good appetite causes Onew and Taemin to decide on what to order for lunch. To the chagrin of everyone Key becomes involved to decide even though he just ate. After regaining the energy Key looks livelier and freshened up.

Onew left to get the food, leaving Taemin alone with Key.

“Taemin, did something happened last night?” Key asks. “My body feels sore and I felt light-headed.”

“You were drunk,” Taemin replies. “Very drunk. You probably slept in a weird position if you're feeling sore.”

“But how can a hangover be this bad for me to actually lose a day,” Key clutches his temple. “And when I tried to remember what happened... my chest aches... I remember there was someone unfamiliar talking to me and you were there too. Did I do something?”

This is the first time he sees Key unsure of himself. Key is always known to be confident and mature but under the surface he knows Key thinks little of himself.

Taemin looks away, biting the bottom of his lip, remembering how Key wasn't himself. How Key attacked him and said horrible things to him. The thought of it hurts but Minho made him realize Key is also hurting from the experience. But Key comes out of it unscathed and healthy with no after effects.

With that in mind Taemin gets up and hugs Key tightly in his arms. Key looks up, puzzled at his action. “What are you doing?”

“Making your headache go away.”

Key hums, doesn't push Taemin away. He returns Taemin's embrace, his head leaning on Taemin's warm stomach. “I don't remember much but I think I dreamed of this feeling... like you were right there next to me. And all I felt is warmth.”

It took all Taemin have to not cry. Instead he closes his eyes and brushes Key's hair. “Key, you can always lean on me.”

Not much goes on the day at Key's apartment but it was peaceful and idyllic that is much needed for all those present. As Taemin left Key's apartment he spots someone familiar idling nearby.

Taemin walks over to Jonghyun whose sitting on a bench in front of the apartment complex. “How come you didn't come with us?”

Jonghyun shrugs. “Didn't think I'd be invited.”

“Didn't stop you last time,” Taemin snarks despite his mild expression. “You saved Key, he wouldn't put you out.”

“You mean Minho saved Key,” Jonghyun corrects him, his eye twitches when he says it.

“Still counts,” Taemin sits besides him and sighs. “If you're wondering, he's doing just fine.”

At that Jonghyun sighs with relief. “I'm glad.”

Taemin gives a side glance at Jonghyun, turning his eyes to the direction of Key's apartment. “He got drunk because of you,” Taemin blurts out, causing the both of them to tense. “He got himself into a dangerous situation but all he could think and talk about was you.”

“I'm sorry,” Jonghyun looks down on his hands. “I didn't mean to upset him.”

“But you did,” Taemin crosses his arms. “Just tell me; did you use Key in order to get closer to me and Minho?”

He hopes that wasn't the case because Key would be devastated. Key thought highly of Jonghyun and have gushed about him to Taemin so often that in almost every conversation Jonghyun would be mentioned in some way. And Taemin wants to give Jonghyun the benefit of a doubt because Jonghyun had been nothing but nice and kind to him. But after everything he couldn't help but feel doubt and insincerity.

Jonghyun's fingers fiddles with nervousness, looking like he doesn't know what to say.

“Angels don't really leave Heaven unless it's for a mission,” Jonghyun begins to say, wistfully looks up at the sky. “An anomaly was discovered and I was sent to investigate and resolve the issue.”

Taemin narrows his eyes. “What does that have to do with you lying to Key? Are you playing with Key's feelings?!”

“What?! No! ” Jonghyun strongly denies. “I was always fascinated with humans. Earth was so different the last time I came and I wanted to learn and be involve with humanity. It was thanks to Key's efforts that I was able to enjoy my time here...”

Taemin frowns. “Was the anomaly Minho?”

“No, it was something different,” Jonghyun shakes his head. “Meeting Key was a coincidence. Becoming friends with you guys was also a coincidence. Minho is not my top priority.”

“You're on thin ice on the friendship thing with Key,” Taemin gives a haughty sniff. “You need to explain this to Key, not me.”

“I figure as much if he gives me a chance to explain,” Jonghyun sighs. “But with you - are we still friends?”

Taemin gives a glance. “I'll consider it.” His cheeky voice tells the both of them enough. “I don't like my friends fighting. Not just Key. Minho... he's also my friend too.”

“I never thought it was a possibility that the demon doesn't have an ulterior motive,” Jonghyun eyebrows furrow in thought. “Let alone sticking around for so long after being exposed. Are you sure he's your friend?”

“I don't know what else to call him other than friends,” Taemin tilts his head to the sky. “We hang out together, live together, eat together – living out our lives each day like this. What more can I ask for?”

At that Jonghyun relaxes back, glancing at Taemin with a soft look. “Do you know what I wish for the most? To be human. Living out each day like what you described with those you care about.” His hand drops to his side. “Sadly it requires a sacrifice no angel is willing to give.”

“Then don't do it,” Taemin shrugs. “I can guarantee you being human is not all it cuts out to be. But having people you care about surrounding you... makes living more bearable.”

Jonghyun has a sad smile. “I envy Minho for being able to experience that with you even temporarily.”

“Temporarily?”

“Taemin I thought you knew? Did you think Minho will be able to stay with you forever? Angels and demons are immortal. He has to go back to Hell eventually.”

Taemin bites his lips at the thought. It's something he has willfully ignored or put to the back of his mind because everytime he thought about it, his heart would ache.

Maybe Minho is getting tired of him already. Minho hasn't bothered him lately, disappearing often. He has that concentrated look on his face, thinking about something. Doesn't really talk or make a conversation with him too often as well.

Whatever this thing he has going on with Minho will end with either Minho taking his soul or Minho getting tired of him and leaving for good.

“You're right I guess,” Taemin sighs and gets up ready to leave. “I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up liking Minho like that, especially if he's going to leave me eventually.”

Jonghyun absently nods and waves goodbye. It was a few seconds later after Taemin left when he fully process what Taemin had said, causing Jonghyun to cough and choke on his own spit.

 


 

“I would have thought you had learned by now but considering my carpet getting bled on is unlikely.”

Minho could only glare at Changmin from his position on the floor, wounds closing at a snail pace rate. “I had it handled.”

Changmin hums, summoning a long staff in his hand. He pokes at one of the wounds on Minho's body, exacerbating the condition than it already is. “I can see that.”

Minho glares harder, keeping his facial expression under the control from the pain. “He caught me by surprise.”

“You were supposed to be better than that,” Changmin moves the staff away. “What a disappointment.”

Minho thumps his head against the floor, frustrated. He curses in his head, may Changmin never be able to get rid of his blood stain from the carpet.

He barely held his own against Nickhun who uses dirty tricks against him. He was irritating, barely using any of his true powers against him. He even called some of his henchman to fight his battle. A tall man who can use fire and another who is impossibly bright. He bested the two no problem but Nickhun had stabbed him in the back when he let his guard down.

Nickhun had stabbed him with a weapon laced with the power of heaven.

I got it from a guy,” Nickhun shrugged, wiping his dagger with a handkerchief. “And a bunch of other things as well. You want to try them?”

He barely managed to get away, his energy drained and his body shut down. Nickhun didn't bother going after him, probably toying with him all along. But there's one thing he is very sure of.

Nickhun is a demon.

“So what are you going to do?” Changmin asks. “Encroaching another demon's claim is dangerous.”

Minho frown. “I don't know, I was hoping you can tell me.”

Taecyeon summoned and made a contract with a demon. When and for how long he has no clue. Whatever plot they're committing is dragging Taemin into this. Whatever they're doing isn't anything good.

Changmin drums his fingers against the desk he's leaning on. “I only thought of two options. First you leave it alone and return to Hell. It's not your business and it's a bad idea messing with another demon's claim, especially one who bested you like this.”

Minho scowls. “What's the other option?”

“The other option is to make a contract with a human,” Changmin suggests. “You'll be on par with that demon to be able to hold your own against him or better. Maybe find a different human since you're so reluctant to claim the boy.”

Minho doesn't like either option but Changmin is right. “I can't let this go.”

“I don't know why you're doing this to yourself,” Changmin gets up and walks over to him. “It's been years since your last contract, you're practically skin and bones.”

When demons make a contract with a human, a bond has been formed. Continuous human essence feeds a demon giving them a boost in strength and power to do a human's biding. The humans don't feel their essence being drain but it affects their mind to make rational decisions, making it easier for the demon to take their souls faster. The absorption of essence is evenly divided until the moment their time is up for their souls to be claimed.

Minho is well aware of that fact but he is not lacking in terms of strength. He is the wielder of the darkest flames of Hell. It's only because Nickhun resorted to tricks and unfair tactics that he was able to get the upper hand. If he makes a contract with Taemin, his strength knows no bounds, easily able to crush Nickhun and other demons before they can say a word.

But the thought of making a contract with Taemin -

Changmin pokes at one of the open wounds with his staff. “What did you say that caused this again?”

“A dagger laced with the power of heaven,” Minho grunts. “He said he got other things from heaven, probably behind the holy water incident.”

“A demon in possession with tools from heaven? Concerning,” Changmin doesn't look the least bit concern. “It's not healing.”

“It's healing,” Minho says. “It's taking much longer this time.”

And just like he says the wounds on Minho slowly close until not even a scar is left. Feeling better, Minho stretches as he moves to get up. But before he could Changmin has his staff pressed down on him to keep him on the floor.

Minho looks at the staff pressed on his gut with a confused expression. “Were you hoping that I bled out?”

“I was expecting it but now I wonder,” Changmin muse, his expression blank. “You're not any different from the last time we saw each other.”

“I told I'm stronger than you,” Minho smirks. “You gonna let me up?”

Changmin hums and a sharp pressure exudes on the tip of the staff. Luckily Minho reacted instinctively, using his flames to protect his gut and stop the staff. If he didn't react sooner, the staff would have pierced his gut.

The dark flames travel up the staff, forcing Changmin to move away and disperse the flames. The momentum allows Minho to grab Changmin by the throat and push him down on the desk in an uncomfortable position.

“Is this where you betray me?” Minho sneers, close to Changmin's ear and squeezes.

Changmin doesn't look afraid or in pain. “I always told you to never trust anyone.”

The hand that wasn't clutching Minho's grip on his throat rips down Minho's back hard. The burning pain causes Minho to let Changmin go, taking off the remnants of his shirt. He moves to attack Changmin but the staff gets summoned back into Changmin's hand. A tap on the ground generates a forcefield, stopping Minho in his tracks.

“I knew it.”

Minho snarls at Changmin's enigmatic smile. “What?”

“The reason why you were able to recover from an attack from heaven,” Changmin tilts his head. “Demons can't heal from that and it's been staring at me right in the face.”

Seeing Changmin doesn't try to attack him anymore Minho warily relax. “What is it?”

Changmin points at something behind Minho. It was a tall mirror. But Minho doesn't see anything different about himself when he looks at it. Doesn't feel anything different.

That is until Changmin picks up another mirror, giving Minho a clear view of his back. Suddenly it all makes sense and yet it doesn't.

“You are a fallen angel.”