Chapter 6

The Devil Besides Me

Hi everyone! Sorry for taking so long. Been busy with school and work but now I'm back and thanks for being patient.

Also great job on those Shinee MV views (RDD 120M->122.2M, Lucifer 109.2M->110.6M, Replay 22.4M->23.4M, View 48.25M->49.3M, Move 42M->44.4M and many more!)

We have special guest in this chp, they'll be showing up every now and again ;)


 

The first thing Taemin did was to try and exorcise the demon.

He research all that he could and did everything by the book ranging from using salt, walking into random churches, and throwing patjuk beans at the demon. All attempts have little to no effect on the demon whose looking gleeful after every failed attempt.

“I guess we can cross talisman from the list,” the demon said, crossing it from a list of attempts. “And let me remind you once again that the talisman works on evil spirits, not demons.”

“But you got the evil part down,” Taemin crumples up the talisman, looking sullen. “I thought it would work. Does nothing work on you?!”

The demon gives a thoughtful look. “Well the salt gave me quite a rash – nothing I can't recover from. You can try holy water but good luck finding an ordained priest to bless it for you.” The demon snaps their finger, the list they made disappears. “Face it little one, you're stuck with me.”

“I'm not little,” Taemin pouted. “Maybe the reason none of those things work is because the type of demon you are. Tell me; are you a Korean demon or an English demon?”

The demon looks unamused. “Demons don't have ethnicity. We are what we are. It was God who made humans split because he was afraid of your combined unity.”

“Wow, I didn't know that.”

“It's in the bible; the tower of Babylon,” the demon raises an eyebrow. “I thought you learn it at church.”

“Yeah but I didn't read the bible back to back,” Taemin mumbles. “At this point, maybe I should.”

The demon uses their tail and pulls Taemin's rolling chair until he is right in front of them. Taemin's knees are bracketed by the demon's who is sitting on the bed. In their position this is the first time Taemin is looking down on the demon, locking eyes with it. Yet somehow he feels he is still on the bottom.

“Why do you not call me the name that you gave me?”

Taemin blinks in surprise. “What?”

The demon had made its presence more obvious. The dangerous presence lurking behind him has become a more everyday thing even though the demon doesn't show. He could always feel the demon lurking around. It's like sleeping next to a loaded gun.

All because Taemin decided to give the demon a name.

Minho. A random ordinary name given to a sinister powerful demon. Somehow calling the demon Minho doesn't sit right with him.

The demon had adapted their appearance to look like an ordinary Korean male. Taemin could actually imagine him to be a normal human but he couldn't forget that this is an actual demon.

“You gave me a name so you know what to call me by,” the demon Minho said. “A name to claim me yours. A name to show that you are mine.”

Taemin fought back a shiver as he answers evenly. “But I don't even want you. I don't even know how you got here in the first place.”

“You summoned me.”

“Yeah but I didn't even mean to!”

Minho looks confused. “What do you mean?”

Taemin bites the bottom of his lip. “I was trying to draw something for my wall banner and then 'bam!' there you are; standing in my room with shoes on.” He points at the bottom of his bed. “The wall banner is there. That circle thingy of yours.”

Minho gives a look before retrieving the banner. Unfolding the banner reveals the large summoning sigil. “You made this as a wall decoration,” Minho slowly said. “But you have no intentions of summoning me?”

“Well yes?” said Taemin, unsure of the situation. “And that blood – I accidentally cut myself when I was getting my scissors. Since this is all a misunderstanding you can just go back to hell or wherever that is that you came from. Maybe you have some other humans trying to summon you but can't because you're here – ”

“No.”

Minho folds the banner neatly away and locks eyes with Taemin. Eyes no longer amused. Eyes intense that couldn't be ignored, knees close to bumping each other in an intimate way.

“I am here because you summoned me,” Minho said with an unkind smile. “Whether by accident or not I will not leave. Not until I claim what belongs to me.”

Taemin swallows. “And what is that?”

“You.”

 


 

Rather than the demon trying to eat his soul immediately, he's being tempted. Every opportunity dark desires whispers into his ear. Even on things so mundane.

Taemin bites the bottom of his lip, looking at his test score on his midterm. 75. It's not a failing grade but his GPA is going to be affected. The big blaring numbers suddenly twists and turns on the paper, changing a 75 to 100.

“Getting the results you wanted is a small feat compared to what I can do on a large scale,” Minho whispered into Taemin's ear. “You will never have to waste those hours of studying ever again.”

Taemin makes an irritated sound, waving his hand next to his ear as though to swat a fly. In this case an annoying demon. On his way to school he found that he is the only one who can see, hear, and feel the demon. It had been embarrassing when he learned the hard way on the bus with so many people looking at him like a crazy loon.

“The only reason I got a low grade is because of you,” Taemin muttered softly, putting his test paper in his bag. “It stressed me out that I couldn't concentrate.”

“I didn't know I have such an effect on you, little one.” Minho tsked. “If you just give in to your deepest, darkest desires I can have the whole world right by your feet.”

“Tempting, but not interested.”

Before he know it class is over, thanks to an annoying demon buzzing in his ear. He will have to pay some extra studying time to review his notes. He had not only tune out the demon's whispers but also the professor's lecture.

He was stopped by the professor on his way out the door who voiced his concerns. “Are you alright?”

Taemin is so stressed of the demon's presence that even outside people know something is up with him. “I'm alright Professor Choi,” he gives a weak smile. “Just been stressed about the midterms.”

Professor Choi nodded. “I know for students midterms and finals are the most stressful times. But they should also take it easy because being young is the only chance you'll get to make the most of it. But getting off topic, have you picked a partner yet for your group essay yet?”

Group essay?

See? He was so stressed about the demon that he even forgot about essays. “I don't think I have...”

“I have mentioned near the beginning of the semester that students should email me the name of the partner they will work with for the project,” Professor Choi explained. “I think I may have your email but there is no name of the partner you will be working with so I assume you don't have one yet.”

Taemin just numbly nodded as the professor continued, honestly don't know what is going on.

“That's why I will be assigning you to work with Lee Taeyong. He doesn't have a partner as well. I hope that is fine because the project's deadline is coming up soon.”

Taemin looks over to where Taeyong is waiting near them. He gives a nod of acknowledgment as he turns back to the professor. “That's fine, professor. We'll be sure to work hard on the project.”

Taemin and Taeyong left the classroom discussing the project and exchange contact information. “We'll need to choose one of the topics and start right away,” Taeyong said. “I'll make a shared doc so that we can both edit it. Personally I had put this project off because I was studying for the midterm. I didn't do so well even though I study hard for it.”

Taemin gave a sympathetic nod. “Me too. I'm not good with application questions, those trip me up.”

“You know the weirdest thing is; I don't remember if I actually choose my partner,” Taeyong confessed. “The professor said I sent him an email with my partner's name but for some reason its blank. I don't remember if I actually did that.”

“...Me too.”

They continued to talk about the project as they left the building. At one point there was a sharp buzzing sound that had Taemin dizzy, clutching his head to steady himself.

“Taemin, are you alright?” Taeyong asked.

Taemin waves him off and winces. “Fine, just a headache. I get like that sometimes when I study or get stressed.”

Taeyong nodded, sympathetic. “Take it easy then. I'll email you with the link to the doc.”

When Taeyong is away a good distance and there is no one else nearby, Taemin loudly sighs. “Are you trying to give me a headache, demon?”

Minho steps out from behind him as though he wasn't there in the first place. “You have been ignoring me, little one. Thought you might have forgotten about me.”

Taemin frowned. “I am at school. I can't be seen talking to you when no one else can see you. You made me look bad this morning on the bus, remember?”

“All the more reason for you to give me what I want,” Minho said. “It will be a lot smoother if you just give in.”

At this point Taemin feels nothing but annoyance rather than fear. He levels an annoyed glare at the demon named Minho, standing firm and tall. “Listen to me and listen well,” Taemin sternly said. “Do not bother or annoy me when I am at school, you are interfering with my education. If I get another bad grade because of you, I will make sure you will never get my soul if that is the last thing I do.”

Minho had looked surprise at the change in Taemin's attitude, not expecting this type of reaction. It took a short time to compose himself before he has a nonchalant attitude. “Of course, little one,” Minho said. “I will not show my presence here when you are in school so it will not affect your education.”

“And when I am around people!” Taemin hastily added. “That includes on the bus and stuff!”

Minho had raised an eyebrow as his form slowly disappears with the wind. “You're getting ahead of yourself, little one.”

“It's Taemin! Lee Taemin!”

But the demon disappeared leaving Taemin alone yelling in the wind. He could feel himself getting strange looks from people seeing him act like that, causing him to feel embarrass. “That damn demon pisses me off...”

But at the moment there is nothing he can do. He has tried everything that he could think of but no dice. But then again the demon didn't do anything that bad that would hurt Taemin.

All the demon wants was Taemin's soul. And all the more reason for Taemin to get rid of him.

“Argh!! This doesn't make me feel better!”

Even without the demon's presence has Taemin acting out in public. A huge testament to how much effect the demon has on the young boy.

Reluctantly Taemin drags his feet to the library, hopefully to get some of his studying done without the demon bothering him. As he goes to the building he notices someone familiar.

On the campus wide green grass area Key is sitting on a grass next to a muscular man wearing sunglasses. They are both drinking a ice coffee while chatting. Key gave a boisterous laugh at something the man said and lies down on the grass with the man following suit.

Taemin smirks, sneaks stealthily towards the duo who are lying on the grass without a care in the world. In a close distance he takes out a compact mirror. He angles the mirror toward the sun and the beams hits square on Key's face. Key makes a bothered sound, trying to block the shining light but Taemin keeps changing the angle. Key gets up and tries to see whose doing it causing Taemin to hide behind the bench. Taemin does it a couple of times until he gets caught.

“Lee Taemin you brat!” Key yelled. “Don't you have something better to do?!”

“Hello my Key,” Taemin cooed, this time he is standing over the duo, blocking the sun. “Did you miss me?”

“No way, brat! I get an aneurysm from seeing you.”

The man next to Key takes off his sunglasses and gives Taemin a charming smile. From Taemin's angle he could see the man is handsome with a kind face and a fit body. A package deal.

“Are you an angel?”

Taemin's cheeks colored at the unexpected compliment. “W-what?!”

Key turns on his side and smacks the person's shoulder. “Does this brat look like an angel?! Look what he did!”

The man winces and rubbing his shoulder. “Aish, okay bro. But seriously from this angle he looks like a little angel.”

“More like a little devil,” Key muttered.

The man chuckles and gets up, brushing the grass from his jeans. “Hi! My name is Kim Jonghyun. Are you Key's friend?”

“Hello,” Taemin bows in greeting. “My name is Lee Taemin. It's nice to meet you, Jonghyun – are you a student here?”

“No, Key is showing me around,” Jonghyun explained. “I've never been to a university like this before, it's so big.”

Taemin gives a confused look. “You're not from Korea?”

Jonghyun shakes his head. “No, I'm from America. I made an appointment with Key through the app.”

“Appointment? What do you mean–” And understanding slowly dawned to Taemin. “– Oh... you are Key's customer.”

Key's works as a tour guide at Oh My Oppa. A tour agency specializes in giving personal tours to show tourists around Korea. Most customers are from another country and they tend to be woman and it doesn't matter whether the woman are older or younger than their tour guide.

The presence of Kim Jonghyun is definitely different.

“Your Korean is so good,” Taemin complimented. “Why do you need Key to be a tour guide?”

“I was born in the U.S. and recently came to Korea to understand my culture better,” Jonghyun explained. “Key has done a wonderful job of being my tour guide. He shows me not just the history and culture but the everyday life of a citizen. He even shows me the best place to shop and eat. It's not the same if I do this by myself and its better with Key by my side.”

Taemin nodded. “Key is the best in planning. He knows all the good hot place that most people don't know. He is a real insider.”

Key blushes, looking away. “Well, you're not wrong...”

“The best tour guide ever.” Jonghyun smiles and finishes the last of his drink. “I'm going to throw this away – are any of you finish? Thank you, I'll be right back.”

Jonghyun leaves to throw the trash. As soon as he turns the corner, Taemin turns to Key. “Bummie~”

Key avoids looking at Taemin's cute gleeful eyes, knowing the misery and doom he will face. Taemin wasn't deterred but on a time limit before Jonghyun comes back. He continuously pokes Key's side, calling all sorts of variations of Key's name. Eventually Key cracks. “What do you want, Taemin-ah?!”

“You like him~”

Key spluttered. “What?! That's absurd!” He crosses his arms. “I-I don't like him.”

“Then do you like me?”

“Absolutely – what has that got to do with this, you brat?!”

In response Key wraps his arm around Taemin's neck and rubs his knuckles fast against his head. They make quite an impressive pair causing people passing by to stare at their antics.

Taemin pouted, rubbed his head from his punishment. “Key hyung~”

Key sighed. “Fine, I like him! My heart skipped a beat when I first saw him. Happy?!”

Taemin smiles widely. “He seems like a nice guy and maybe better than the regular customers you normally deal with. Did you remember one of them made you her unofficial boyfriend, even stalked you after you blocked her?”

“Don't remind me, brat. I still haven't fully recovered yet. Koreaboos...”

They both shuddered at the unpleasant experience. “Do you know how long he's going to stay?”

Key shrugged. “Don't know. He said he's here for a work thing so we'll see.”

“Well I hope he stays – he's nice,” Taemin tilts his head. “And then if he's not your customer anymore, you can date him. But you already went on dates with him for his appointments – when is he going to be my appa?”

This causes Key to overreact again as he tries to deal out punishment for his mischievous dongsaeng. And just in time for Jonghyun to come back to them, oblivious of what has transpires. “What did I miss?”

 


 

After his classes are finished, Taemin finally gets home. Exhausted but in a good way.

Jonghyun was nice. He found himself easily opening up and being comfortable around him. He even understands what Key likes about the man and Key is hard to please. Jonghyun had even invited him to go with him and Key to karaoke but Taemin had to decline. He knows when to not to be a third-wheel.

Making his ramen, he was barely fazed when the demon has him trapped against the kitchen counter. In practice he slows his breathing as a way to hold his composure, his hand twitches before gripping the utensils tight.

Taemin kept his voice even. “Do you want ramen too?”

The demon – Minho – whispered close to his ear. “I have been too soft on you.”

The demon had used his arms to trap him against the counter. The heat and the weight embraces behind him. Taemin lifts his fingers from the utensils in succession, a way to keep himself calm. “So you don't want any?”

Fed up for not getting the reaction that he wanted, Minho turns Taemin around to face him. He's annoyed when Taemin was able to meet his eyes without the fear that he used to have. “When have you gotten so bold to face me like this?”

“You turned me around, demon hyung,” Taemin answers. “I just asked if you want some ramen – can demons eat ramen?”

Minho steps back, letting Taemin finish making his ramen. He stays by Taemin's side watching him move around the kitchen and make two servings. He follows Taemin to the table, watching him put the second serving on one side of the table with a pair of chopsticks and a spoon.

“Eat up,” Taemin sits on the other end and starts on his own ramen. “Unless you prefer something else that is all you will get from me.”

Minho sits down on the other side of the table, watching Taemin eat the ramen with gusto. He looks down at the ramen Taemin prepared for him. It's an ordinary ramen with steam wafting above with a side of egg.

Taemin slurps his noodles, half way done with his ramen. “You don't want it? I even added an egg, that's fancy for ramen.”

Taemin continues eating his ramen while watching Minho carefully from the corner of his eye. His breath hitches when Minho picks up the chopsticks. Minho curiously twirls the strand of noodles around, pulling it from the broth and slurping the noodles.

Just like an ordinary human.

“You're supposed to sip the broth first,” Taemin gestures at the spoon laying abandoned next to Minho's bowl. “It's to settle the flavor in your mouth before you eat the noodles.”

Irritated Minho slams his hand on the table. “What game are you playing at, Lee Taemin?”

“Game?” Taemin tilts his head confused. “I don't know what you are talking about.”

Minho gets up to loom Taemin over the kitchen table, head tilted and eyes bearing down on him. Taemin meets Minho's eyes, holding his bated breath. He will not be easy to toy with.

Minho leans close. “Not everything has to be a fight,” his voice low and amused. “This could be a wonderful experience. A gift – if you let it.”

Taemin bit the inside of his mouth and glares. “I doubt giving myself to you would be considered a gift on my end.”

Minho chuckles, and Taemin holds his shivers feeling it vibrate on his skin. “I wasn't talking about your soul.”

“Then what?” Taemin bites out. “My body?”

He feels out of his depth. Whatever bravado he had mustered so far is quickly crumbling beneath him. They never teach “how-to-deal-with-a-demon” in school (and if there was such a class he would have questions). But he has enough with the demon messing him around like a toy.

“Souls are nothing but inconsequential to a human,” Minho said, not moving from his position overlooking Taemin. “What matters is the intent and will that triumphs all reasons and logic. I am beyond limits, able to give what you truly desire. All I need is your will and I will obey.”

Taemin blinks, breaking eye contact. He calmly resumes eating as best as he can, minding the demon looming over him. “I want you to eat.” He said in between bites. “But I'm not going to force you if you don't want to. ”

He doesn't look up, trying to ignore the dangerous demon. When there doesn't seem to be any noise he finally looks up. The demon is gone, the bowl is emptied with the utensils in it. He looks around. With no trace of the demon in his apartment, Taemin lets out a relieved sigh and slumps in his chair.

He doesn't know how long he can keep up having the demon around him. Its not good for his state of mind. His mouth taste bland and the food he consumed drops down like a heavy weight in his stomach. All there's left is at least a couple bites but he lost his appetite.

A horrible thought crossed his mind. “Did I just sold my soul to get the demon to eat ramen?!”

 


 

No Taemin, you did not sell your soul just bc a demon is picky with his food. lol

Wow look at that, Taemin grew a backbone in my absence. When you think about it, RL Taemin is not that scared of scary stuff. Just trying to move the story along is all.

429oxg.jpg