o n e // h o p e l e s s

The Kitten I Brought Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A loud crash and thud was heard amidst condescending snickers from a group of boys who were definitely not trying to be discreet at all. One of them stepped forward to pick up the thick book lying on the ground, previously in the hands of the lone boy who was now slumped against the wall.

"Harh, what kind of nonsense book is this?!" The book was rudely and roughly flipped, causing Wonwoo to glare under his fringe that had fallen in front of his face. More than getting hurt, he hated it when others mistreated books. His books.

Don't they know how to respect books?

As if his glare could physically pierce someone, one of the boys flinched and turned towards him, meeting his dark, angry eyes. It only resulted in a couple more kicks to his stomach and punches to his already bruised and bleeding face.

Just as his eyes began reflecting his lethargy and hopelessness, a rustle and annoyed grunt sounded nearby. "Why are there so many idiots these days. Can't even sleep in peace."

The blows stopped as they turned their attention to where the voice came from. There on a wooden bench, a girl sat up (she had been lying down) and ruffled her hair in frustration for she was having a really good nap until they came and caused all that ruckus.

"What the heck, it's just a girl," one scoffed.

The girl stood up and rolled her eyes, "oh wow, I'm sorry for being just a girl."

Kang Soon, the group's leader who had been quiet since the scuffle started, smirked, "you're one stupid kid, huh."

Wonwoo raised his head, having heard the commotion. He initially couldn't be bothered for all he wanted was to take a shower, dress these ugly wounds and read a book in the comfort of his bed. His eyes took a while to search for the owner of the voice and when it did, he was surprised.

The owner of the voice was not only a girl, but a student from his school, for she was wearing their neat white blouse and dark blue checkered skirt. Her blazer was folded on the bench, probably used as a pillow while she napped. What was more surprising to Wonwoo was the look on her face – the expression of pure confidence and strength, the kind that couldn't understand what giving up meant.

"Ya, don't you know who he is?" one of Kang Soon's minions asked her.

She pressed her lips together, forming a straight line, and answered, "mmm... not that I care."

Another of his lackey fumed and rushed forward, throwing a punch at her. Swiftly, she side-stepped and easily dodged his fist. In a flash, she brought her foot behind his calf, gave it a g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter