009: Make it right

OUR PREDESTINED END

A/N: BEFORE YOU START READING THIS CHAPTER, I WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY THINGS.

First, I realized it later that I've been using Hannam Hill as a setting of Jungkook's home when it's supposed to be in Seungbok-dong. I've read IYAIC to gather inspiration and while I'm at it, I found the mistake I've been doing all along so I'm sorry, though no one noticed it to point it out. LOL But still, sorry. Jungkook's home is in Seungbok-dong. Not in Hannam Hill, okay? OKAY?

Second, we were supposed to update this fic last night but things got mixed up so we couldn't. Sorry for those who waited.

Third, look for BTS Summer Package 2018 for references of their looks for this chapter.

Fourth, if you already listened to "MAKE IT RIGHT" by our boys from their new released album, then you'll know why I picked it up as the chapter title.

And lastly, no, we're not back with usual update schedules. Things are still complicated at my end. But I assure you, we won't leave this fic hanging for so long.

Thank you for your understanding! <3

 

 

Precisely 10 minutes to 8 am, Taehyung boarded the shuttle service to the hotel with Jin, Jimin, Hoseok, Saeron, and Somi. Jihoon had informed Taehyung that everyone had gathered in the hotel lobby at 7 am for breakfast. Jungkook, Namjoon, and Yoongi had left the mansion much earlier to meet with the HR department for the final checks on all the arrangements for the day's activities, which were to start at 9. Jungkook had told him that the HR department was responsible for all the arrangements and had been working around the island, making preparations since they arrived the previous day. He made sure to remember to thank them for their hard work, they are responsible for the public image of the company, after all.

 

“Tae-oppa, when exactly did you dye your hair blonde? You too, Jin-oppa.”

 

Taehyung turns to Jin who’s now massaging his scalp. “Just this morning. Jin-hyung wanted me to dye it so we could match.”

 

“You brought hair dye with you? Seriously?” Jimin asks exasperatedly.

 

“Yeah, got a problem with that?” Jin smacks Jimin’s forehead playfully. “Taehyung caught me dyeing my hair in Namjoon's bathroom and joined me after I convinced him that blonde would look good on him.”

 

“How long does it take for you to dye your hair?” Saeron asks Jin directly, and the other thinks for a while.

 

“Well, we started dyeing our hair as soon as Jungkook and the others left the mansion, so I'd say around one and a half to two hours.  Normally it would take longer, but because our hair was already light, we did not have to spend a long time bleaching first. I usually play with my hair when I’m bored, so this is quite normal. It's not a professional job, but it's fine.”

 

“It looks great though,” Saeron assures.

 

“Thank you, dear.” Jin winks at her, making her giggle.

 

“I can’t believe you dyed your hair again. It hasn’t been long since you dyed it blue!” Jimin whines. “You’ll be bald soon.”

 

“My hair, my say.” Taehyung shrugs.

 

“Say you’re jealous because we match and go!” Jin jokes, making Jimin pout even more.

 

“Do your men know you dyed your hair?” Hoseok joins in the conversation and laughs when both males shake their head. “Wow, so it'll be a big surprise.”

 

“Namjoon knows I will dye my hair blonde; he doesn't know it's today. It was my plan all along; Taehyung just joined the fun by accident.”

 

“I bet Jungkook will turn into a stuttering mess the moment he spots you in the crowd.”

 

“Where do you want to have breakfast?” Jimin interrupts the conversation, still sulking about the whole thing. He would have joined the fun as well if his friends had bothered to call him. He is seated behind Taehyung and next to Jin, studying one of the island brochures. "I wanted to have breakfast at the mansion but everyone else was busy, and I didn't want to eat alone. To think all that food the staff prepared just went to waste."

 

“Namjoon, Yoongi, and Jungkook ate before they left – or at least had their coffee. It’s too early for me to have breakfast and don't forget Taehyung never eats breakfast. Hoseok ate at the hotel when he arrived, and the girls only had tea.”

 

“You could have stayed longer, Jimin. Why are you up so early anyway?” Taehyung asks in a bored manner. “It’s not like you’re part of this team building thing, right?”

 

“I promised Yoongi I will help with some of the activities, same as Hoseok-hyung and Jin-hyung.”

 

“Actually I didn’t.” Hoseok clarifies. “Jungkook invited me to join the party to be held at the mansion on Sunday. I was only supposed to arrive on Sunday morning, but I decided to come today. I don't mind helping and I bet it'll be fun.”

 

“Aren’t you tired though, Hobi-ssi?” Saeron asks, and all eyes turn to her making her a bit self-conscious. She’s about to explain, but Taehyung beats her to it.

 

“That’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard Hobi-hyung being called.” He chuckles finding the nickname followed by “-ssi” a bit strange. “If he told you to call him Hobi, just call him Hobi, Saeron. He won’t mind. Or better yet, call him Hobi-oppa.”

 

“I will definitely not call him that.” Saeron rebuts, cheeks already tinted crimson. “That is so inappropriate and –“

 

“Hey, I don’t mind Saeron. They call me Hoseok-hyung or Hobi-hyung... Somi calls me Hobi-oppa, so I don’t mind if you call me any of those you want.” That renders Saeron speechless and leaves Taehyung with a victorious smile. “And to answer your question, no, I’m not really tired. I’m actually pretty hyped for the activities today.”

 

“But you arrived so early... that means you must have hardly slept.”

“Of course,” Hoseok giggles, “Don’t worry about me, I dozed on the plane, and I guarantee I will be out cold the moment my head hits a pillow tonight.”

 

“Company outings are usually boring though.” Taehyung frowns. “Although I do like doing some activities because building stronger teams benefit our business, it doesn't mean I don't get bored after a while."

 

“Well, you’re easily distracted, so we’re not surprised,” Jimin adds mischievously, making Taehyung roll his eyes at him because he can’t deny the statement.

 

“We can eat in one of the restaurants inside the hotel.” Somi interrupts. Yeonjun is asleep on her lap again, still wearing the penguin onesie he went to bed in. Of course, Somi has a bag with a change of clothes for him along with other necessities.

 

Ironically, the boy was the one responsible for everyone else rising early. It's no surprise that he's sleeping now. They could have left the boy behind, but Yeonjun refused. When given a chance, he will stick to his mother or Taehyung like glue.

 

“We should’ve left Yeonjun behind so he could sleep some more.” Hoseok looks at Somi who only smiles sweetly at her son.

 

“It’s okay, oppa. I bet everyone will be smitten with him in no time and will help take care of him." She kisses his cheeks and hugs him even closer. "He never really gives me a headache… he’s always been a good boy, and well behaved." They all silently agree.

 

When Somi went into labor, they were all scared that she might possibly have complications and at first, the older Jeons insisted that she give birth through cesarean section. Somi however, refused and was adamant about having a natural birth. After that, no one opposed her decision, and their main priority was to support her and to ensure her comfort. As Somi's birth partner, Taehyung was with her every step of the way.

 

When Yeonjun was born, he didn't cry. His Apgar score was good, his heart was beating, he was breathing, but he didn't cry. While the doctor didn't do anything, merely observing the child, Somi started to panic that something might be wrong with her child. She was still being tended to and from her point of view on the bed; her child was quiet and unmoving. Thinking the worst, she started to cry, and Taehyung who was still holding her hand cried with her.  He didn't know what to do, and it scared him to death. The fear and pain in Somi's eyes mirrored his own. Yeonjun didn't have to be his for him to feel that way.

 

When Somi shared the news that she was pregnant and how the father is a douche, the whole family drew together in support. Every last one of them excited about the new addition to the family.

 

Somi was fighting to leave the bed and reach her son when Yeonjun surprised everyone and started to cry. He was perfectly fine, just took his time to cry. That was the moment Taehyung decided to give the child everything he might need in the future, and the moment their eyes met for the first time only served to solidify that decision.

 

He smiles at the memory; it still makes him feel warm inside. He may not be his biological father, but Yeonjun makes him feel that way. In fact, along with Namjoon, Yoongi, Jimin, and Jin, Yeonjun treats them all as his own father. Taehyung looks at the sleeping boy with a fond smile and wonders if he'll be a good father in the future.

 

“We’re here,” Jimin announces making Taehyung sit up straight to see that they have arrived at the hotel.

 

They are greeted as they step inside by employees of JGC who have formed little groups around the lobby. Taehyung spots his own team, who are taking group pictures. They come to him as soon as he is sighted.

 

“Boss Tae!!!” of course Jihoon is the loudest one. “Oh, you’re blonde!”

 

“Ah, yes. I experimented with my hair a bit.” He smiles, twirling his hair a little with his finger.

 

“We only have an hour to prepare, and I’m excited to win in all the activities! I heard there’ll be a lot!”

 

“Really? Where did you hear that?” he asks as he continues tailing his friends into one of the hotel restaurants. “Have you all eaten?”

 

“Yes, we did. We saw Boss Kim earlier with her son, Jungkook-ssi and Yoongi-ssi. I think they were here early for some last minute preparation. Anyway, sunbae!” Jihoon holds out his camera. “Let’s take a picture together with our team later.”

 

“Sure, of course.” He beams at him. “I’ll join you after I have breakfast with my friends. Make sure no one gets lost, okay Jihoonie?”

 

“Okay, sunbae! See you later.”

 

“I’ll see you later.”

 

-6 AM in Isla Perdida Hotel’s Conference Room-

 

Jungkook is facing the entire HR Department along with Namjoon's mom, as he does his own final check on all the preparations for the team building activities, which will take place at various locations across the island.

 

This is the first time he will be leading the company’s team building as the newly appointed CEO, and he wants to do a sterling job.

 

He confirms that none of their activities will disturb the other guests. Mrs. Kim, despite not being a part of the HR department, has always been heavily involved with and overseeing the organization of the team building events, so he's not worried about anything. Still, he has to carry out his duties as the CEO. And there are other things besides he needs to take care of.

 

Feeling satisfied, he adjourns the meeting earlier than expected, to the delight of the HR department who scurry out the doors enthusiastically, leaving Mrs. Kim, Namjoon and Yoongi behind.

 

“I believe you have to take some calls from Canada with Misun later, what time will that be?” Jihyo asks her nephew, who busies himself by scanning some paperwork is given to him by the head of HR.

 

“Nine-thirty. Mom knows I have to speak to the employees before the activities commence. She’s apologetic, but it’s unavoidable.” He removes his spectacles before meeting his auntie’s gaze. “Not like I’m meant for one company only. I’ve known about my responsibilities since I was a child and now I have to carry them out.”

 

Jihyo smiles adoringly at her nephew. Everyone in the family knows how amazing Jungkook is. So young for a CEO at only 26, but here he is, proving he’s worthy of the title.

 

“Just take it easy, okay? Don’t hesitate to call for your cousins’ help if you need –“

 

“They’ve been doing it for five years, Auntie.” He scoffs but Jihyo isn’t having it.

 

“You were working from England, Jungkook. You may not have been with us during those years when Namjoon and Yoongi were acting on your behalf, but you made your contribution as well. You did your part; give yourself some credit, will you.” She says in a reprimanding tone.

 

“I know that Auntie... It’s just that sometimes I feel I have been unfair to them, having them do my work on top of their own.”

 

“It wasn’t your fault you had to stay away, Jungkook.” Her tone is gentle again. She may not be the closest to Jungkook, but she knows what her nephew has been through and she knows what Taehyung has been through as well. She wants to tell them that they are not to blame for what happened in the past. They were the unfortunate victims of bad timing. “You need to be a bit more forgiving of yourself, sweetie.”

 

Jungkook only lowers his head, not wanting to say anything more, because he feels like he doesn’t deserve forgiveness attained so easily.

 

The door to the conference room opens, and Namjoon enters followed by Yoongi. They are returning from checking the site preparations for the first activity.

 

“Problems?” Jungkook asks without looking up from the papers in his hands.

 

“Everything is well prepared. The HR department has been split into teams and deployed to the various sites around the island. There are enough walkie-talkies, and we have cellphones for backup, so communication is all good.” Namjoon says while plopping back into a chair.

 

Yoongi occupies the seat across from Namjoon and is resting his head on his arms as if to sleep a little more. “You make it sound like a military operation Namjoon. Anyway, the props for the activities have been thoroughly checked too, so no worry. Everything is perfect and safe.”

 

Jungkook hums and nods his approval, still going through the paperwork.

 

Namjoon gets up and stretches languidly before facing Jungkook. “Hey dude, we’ll be going back to the first activity, okay?” Namjoon says while Yoongi has already shown himself out of the room, he’s generally grumpy in the morning so you wouldn't expect to have a conversation with him anyway, especially not at this hour. “Yoongi is demanding another round of coffee so we’ll likely go to the restaurant before we head out.”

 

“Sure, thanks Namjoon. I’ll go with Auntie later before we start.” He says while organizing his own things to leave.

 

“Why? Do you have plans with mom?”

 

“Kind of, we have a few small matters to attend to.” Jihyo smacks her son’s shoulder playfully. “Leave now, Joon-ah. We’ll be right behind you.”

 

Namjoon sighs but follows his mother's order nonetheless and leaves the room to join Yoongi who is already waiting in front of the elevator.

 

“Jungkook is coming later.” He informs Yoongi while checking his phone. He furrows his brows in confusion as a message from Jin.

 

“Yeah, whatever.” The other says. “Jimin and the others will be having breakfast here. Maybe we can join them. I really need that second round of coffee. Or else I’ll yell at everyone later. Yeonjun literally jumped on me so early to wake me up. Then Jimin joined him by jumping on our bed.” The older whines, which make Namjoon laugh out loud.

 

“Aren’t we going to the first location on the beach though?”

 

“We are. They will be arriving at 8am after all. He says Jin and Taehyung are being asses and have locked themselves in your room.”

 

Namjoon steps inside the elevator to join Yoongi. “What do you think they are up to? Jin text me saying I will fall in love with him all over again when I see him later.”

 

“That’s weird…” Yoongi hums, head resting against the elevator mirror. “But then it’s Jin so… he’s always weird.”

“I don’t know man…”

There’s silence between them until Yoongi opens his eyes and looks at his cousin. Namjoon looks tense and anxious, and he’s been confused since the moment he saw him first thing today. It’s as if he is worried about something and has been fiddling with his hand inside the pocket of his shorts all morning, like checking that whatever he is keeping there is still safe.

“Yah, Namjoon. What the heck is your problem?”

Namjoon meet Yoongi’s eyes, confused by the sudden call of his name and it makes the former sigh. “Don’t look at me as if you’re the one who’s confused now, dude. What the heck is your problem? What are you planning?”

“N-Nothing…”

At least that’s what he says but the thing that falls from his pocket as he takes his hand out, tells Yoongi otherwise. He picks it up and with widened eyes, looks back at Namjoon who’s now blushing furiously and won’t meet his eyes.

“Namjoon, what the ?”

“I – I just… I –“

“Holy , are you going to propose?!”

 

Meanwhile, Jungkook follows Mrs. Kim into the salon which is a mere 5-minute walk from the hotel.

 

“This is the place.” She tells them as they are approached by some of the staff. “I made an early appointment with Mrs. Lee? Tell her it’s the Jeons.”

 

“Right away, Mrs. Kim.”

 

“Thank you. Come on, Jungkook. Sit in one of the chairs.”

 

“What? I’m only here to meet your friend, though. You told me she wanted to see me –“

 

“And she does, but I also want her to do some magic with your hair.”

 

“With… my hair? Is there something wrong with it?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with it, dear. But, I want you to give it a bit of color. What’s your favorite color again?”

 

Jungkook dumbly sits on one of the chairs as his aunt goes around some magazines. “I’m not sure… red, I guess?”

 

“Okay, nice choice –“

 

“Auntie! I won’t dye my hair re –“

 

“Is this good-looking man, Jeon Jungkook, Jihyo?”

 

A woman, probably on the same age as his Aunt Jihyo greets them. Jungkook rises from his seat, but when he’s about to give respect, the woman presses him back on his chair and makes him face the mirror.

 

“You look wonderful, Jungkook. I’m glad I get to meet you, finally.”

 

“Ah… likewise, Mrs. Lee. I’m sorry for my Aunt’s rash appointment. She’s sometimes annoying like that –“

 

“Oh please, it’s okay. Your father is also a friend of mine, Jungkook. I’ve been meaning to meet you, but you have been abroad for the last five years, or so I've been told.”

 

“Oh, yes. I have been for five years, Mrs. Lee… for personal reasons. Have you also met my mom?”

 

“Of course. She was here the other day actually, with her friend. I think her name is Jihyun.”

 

“Oh.” He smiles just thinking about the idea of his mom and Tae’s mom bonding. “I see.”

 

“Yes… so what do you want me to do with your hair?”

 

“I don’t want –“

 

“Dye it red, Kei!”

 

“Auntie!”

 

“Oh shut up, Jungkook. Just get on with it Kei.”

 

“Why me? I’m sure Namjoon-hyung will let you do anything with his hair!!!”

 

“You’ll thank me later, Jungkook. Trust me.”

 

“I can’t believe you.”

 

-Time Check, 8:50am-

 

He can see Yoongi and Namjoon standing on the makeshift stage at the first location. Jimin, Jin, and Hoseok are there with them already so now he’s left with his team.

 

Everyone is wearing casual clothing; even Namjoon and Yoongi are only wearing shorts. The only difference is, Yoongi is wearing a long-sleeved striped shirt for fear of getting sunburn. Jimin looks adorable with his own getup, his Hawaiian shirt paired with yellow board shorts. Hoseok is also wearing a simple yellow shirt and shorts.

 

Jin though, as usual, is on another level, his outfit is completed by a pair of sunglasses. He screams wealthy fashionista with his blue polo shirt and black shorts. As expected, Namjoon was a stuttering mess once he spotted Jin. Taehyung could see that he was delighted, but he also seemed very tense at the same time, which worries him. He wanted to ask about it but could not find the opportunity.

 

“Taehyung, you look fancy!”

 

 “Boss Kim!” Taehyung returns the tight hug to the radiant woman. “I’m so happy to see you here.”

 

“Me too dear. I arrived really late at the mansion last night, so you didn’t see me.”

 

“I see. We were out last night too, and I was knocked out cold when we got home.”

 

“I know, Namjoon gave me a quick rundown.” She winks and ruffles his hair. “I see you’re blonde, you pairing up with Jinnie?”

 

He lets out a chuckle. “Yeah, you can say that.” He scratches his nape shyly. “I thought you were with Jungkookie… where is he?”

 

“Oh…” she smiles mischievously at him and Taehyung finds it kind of weird. “He’s around. I think he’s waiting for his dad back at the hotel before he comes here.”

 

“Ah, I see.”

 

“Well, he should be here soon. I’ll go to Namjoon and the others now! Don’t get yourself hurt doing the activities, okay? Same goes for everyone!”

 

Those who heard thank Mrs. Kim, and soon they are left with their teams again.

 

It's five minutes later that Namjoon takes the microphone and stands before them all. The CEO arrives with Jongwan, and Taehyung almost loses balance as he spots Jungkook. He can see it’s the same for the younger. As soon as they lock gazes, they are frozen on the spot.

 

Taehyung is wearing a blue shirt paired with black board shorts. It goes perfectly with his white headband and sunglasses and for him to be blonde while in this outfit really makes a lot of people turn their heads his way. He almost believed he’s the hottest guy right now until Jeon freaking Jungkook stepped up with his cherry red hair.

 

Jungkook looks good with his natural hair color, and Taehyung knew how hot the younger could be when it’s styled to perfection – but seeing him right now with his red hair? Hot damn!

 

And as if to add more fuel to his desire, Jungkook in a yellow shirt and board shorts really has done it, not to mention the sunglasses! If you ask Taehyung how he’s feeling right now, he would say – THIRSTY. It’s the first time he's seen Jungkook in colorful clothing and he ing looks amazing.

 

Everything has changed.

 

“What the .” He says, though, in a low voice, Jihoon and Saeron hear him. “.”

 

Hoseok who saw the whole thing snorts beside Jin and Jimin who quickly follow his line of sight.

 

“I can’t believe Jungkook dyed his hair red!” Jimin exclaims, papers in his hands slipping because of surprise. “Holy he looks so freaking hot! But is that okay when he’s the CEO?”

 

“He swore that he wouldn’t ever dye his hair with those bright colors!” Jin adds, glaring at the younger as he finally makes his way to where they are. “And I’m sure it’s fine. He can do whatever he wants. He’s the boss, Jimin.”

 

Of course, the arrival of the CEO shut everyone up, but Jungkook can still hear some girls from the Finance department squealing, and he can only sigh.

 

“I heard he’s scheduled to pose for the cover of a magazine,” Yoongi informs, making them squeal. “I don’t know if he’s been informed though.” He shrugs. “Well actually, the three of us are scheduled to pose for a magazine, but only Jungkook will be on the cover to introduce the new CEO of JGC to the world. No announcements were made after all. That kind of made Aunt Jihyo make an appointment to have Jungkook’s hair styled professionally.”

 

Jungkook takes center stage with Namjoon beside him, in case he has any questions.

 

“Is everyone here?” is his first question.

 

“The Department Heads and assigned leaders have already checked their attendance so yes, everyone is here,” Namjoon replies, giving Jungkook the list of the activities. “Yoongi-hyung will be MC-ing in everything since you hate talking so much. Jin-hyung will help too.”

 

“What the happened to your hair, brat?” Yoongi asks as he moves to stand on the other side of Jungkook’s other side while examining his appearance. “You look fancy though.”

 

“Thanks, hyung.” He tells Jin who only brushes it off. “And back off, Yoongi-hyung! Aunt Jihyo made me do it. If I had known beforehand, I wouldn’t have come with her.” His friends laugh because of course, he would not have done it voluntarily.

 

Jungkook faces the crowd, grabs the mic from Namjoon and clears his throat. “Good morning, I hope you had a great time yesterday and got enough sleep in preparation for today’s activities.”

 

The crowd says yes in chorus, making Jungkook smile. “I’ll leave Namjoon to give the opening remarks. All I have to say is, we hope to build an even more formidable team this weekend. Please be careful out there. Remember safety first, safety second and third, after that you can worry about being cool.” He passes the mic to Namjoon who takes it immediately to add some more.

 

“As said by our new CEO, safety first, safety second and safety third… it’s our priority. Now, to continue, all activities will be explained briefly by these people behind me on stage. You should all know them by now.”

 

 Jimin, Jin, and Hoseok all take one step forward followed by the other members of the committee.

 

“For those who don’t know them, this is Park Jimin, Kim Seokjin, and Jung Hoseok. They are our friends who have graciously agreed to assist the committee with the activities today. Our aim is to improve relations with each other and strengthen our team dynamics. Strong teams are what makes JGC one of the most reputable and sought-after companies, not only in South Korea but in the world. We encourage everyone to participate for that reason and not just because there are incentives and corresponding prizes.”  the crowd laughs, and Taehyung uses the moment to approach Jungkook, who is with Somi, petting Yeonjun’s hair.

 

“Are you going to join the activities?”

 

“Taehyungie-hyungie!” Yeonjun runs to where Taehyung is, making the latter pick him up to carry him. “Mommy says you’re going to be very busy today… does that mean we can’t go ride horses today?” Yeonjun is speaking, but Taehyung’s attention is focused on Jungkook. The younger now has his hands tucked in the pockets of his shorts, eyes also trained on him with a playful smirk.

 

“You caught me off guard, Tae.” Jungkook steps more into Taehyung’s space and twirls a lock of blond hair around his finger. For a moment Taehyung forgets to breathe. “You look beautiful… it’s making me wonder who’s the lucky guy.”

 

“I can say the same about you, Kookie.”

 

Jungkook chuckles before taking Yeonjun from him. “I’ll be joining some of the activities later. I have some business to attend to at the hotel. I just came here to see you and every one before it starts.”

 

“Are you doing some work?”

 

“No, but I’m taking some calls from overseas with mom. It won’t take long though, and I’ll be back soon. As for this little guy,” Yeonjun squirms in Jungkook’s hold. “We should take him around tomorrow morning. He’s been asking me to go horseback riding with him and his Taehyungie-hyungie.”

 

“Sounds good to me.” Taehyung ruffles Yeonjun’s hair making the kid giggle in delight. “You hear that, baby? We’ll take you out tomorrow. For now, be a good boy and stick with your mom, okay? Don’t cause anyone trouble.”

 

“Okay!” he squirms from Jungkook’s hold and runs back to his mother.

 

Now that it’s just the two of them, Jungkook gets closer to Taehyung, fixing his wavy hair away from his face.

 

“When I said be careful while doing the activities, I meant it, Tae. Please be careful out there.”

 

“I know… you made sure every activity is safe so don’t worry about me. Just go do your thing at the hotel, I’ll be fine here.”

 

Jungkook pauses and looks into his eyes before letting out a heavy sigh. “I’d like to watch over you myself, but something came up with some of mom’s business associates from Canada, so we need to see to that.”

 

“Jungkook, I’ll be fine. I’m with them.” He turns to look at their friends who are on stage helping Namjoon demonstrate something. “They won’t let anything bad happen to me.”

 

“I know. It’s just, I would feel more at ease if I were to –“ Jungkook’s phone rings, interrupting their conversation. Taehyung takes a step back to give him space to answer the call.

 

“Sorry, it’s Mom. I think I should go… I’ll finish this quickly so I can come back earlier. Take care, okay?”

 

Taehyung hums, and soon he’s watching Jungkook’s back as he leaves.

 

The feeling of wanting to be held by him is overwhelming again today. Taehyung knows that Jungkook is only going as far as the hotel, but seeing him leave is suddenly painful and triggering.

 

He takes a step forward, and before he realizes, he is running.

 

Jimin happens to take his eyes of the lists in his hands and finds Taehyung running towards Jungkook who is about to board the shuttle.

 

“Tae?”

 

Yoongi hears him and follows the direction he is looking. They simultaneously scream Taehyung’s name as they watch him fall.

 

The crowd stops and seems to collectively hold their breath as Jungkook turns to see Taehyung face down on the ground. The worry is evident on his face as he rushes forward to help him.

 

“Tae… what are you doing? Are you okay?” He sees a stray branch stuck in the sand which probably is what caused Taehyung to trip.

 

He reaches for the older without too much thought, securing his wrist and lacing his arm around his waist to help him stand. As he does so, he notices Taehyungs bloodied knee.

 

“I’m taking you back with me.”

 

“N-no… sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.” Taehyung holds onto Jungkook tightly, not noticing how the younger’s facial expression changes as he examines Taehyung’s bleeding knee. “Aw, damn… I hurt myself before I could even do any of the activities.” He says while looking at his knee. He looks up to find Jungkook already eyeing it. He’s expecting the younger to reprimand him especially since he’s hurt himself, but it doesn’t happen. Instead, Jungkook is murderously eyeing the tree branch and motioning for someone to remove it. The only other time Taehyung had seen that look on Jungkook’s face was when they had dealt with Minjae before the issue with Somi’s mom was resolved.

 

He merely watches the expressions playing on Jungkook’s face as he examines him for any other injuries.

 

“I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have run after you like that. It was careless of me. You could’ve gotten hurt if –“

 

“It’s much better if I’m the one who gets hurt and not you Tae, don’t even think about it.” He snaps, but it’s Taehyung he’s talking to so it comes out in a much gentler manner than intended.

 

The heir moves to sit down so he can see the damage to Taehyung’s knee, and blows on it to try and remove the sand which makes Taehyung hiss in pain.

 

“What made you run, Tae?” Jungkook asks, taking his handkerchief from one of his pockets. “If you still had something to say, you should’ve just called me. I would’ve come back to you.”

 

As soon as those words leave Jungkook’s lips, tears start rolling down Taehyung’s cheeks, and it falls on Jungkook’s arm making the younger look up in alarm.

 

“Tae? W-What’s wrong?”

 

“I… sorry… I just couldn’t take it…”

 

“Couldn’t take what? Look, I know I shouldn’t scold you but –“

 

“No, it’s not that…” he clutches Jungkook’s shirt tightly to pull him closer. “It’s not that…”

 

“Then what? Tell me Tae. Otherwise, I won’t understand –“

 

“If I called you before, you would’ve come back to me… right?”

 

“W-What?”

 

“Is Taehyung okay?” Jin asks, already making his way to them, but he stops when Jungkook shakes his head. “Jungkook?”

 

“I hate it… the view of your back as you leave… I know you’re not going anywhere but… I hate it.” Jungkook doesn’t say anything for a moment.

 

Jimin’s patience is running thin because he can see his best friend hurt, but they don’t seem to be doing anything about it. With that in mind, he harshly pushes the list of activities into Hoseok’s hands. He’s about to jump off the stage and rush to Taehyung, but Yoongi holds him back, shaking his head to stop him. Saeron is already in front of him to block him in case he decides to run for it.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Jimin asks in frustration.

 

Saeron only shrugs nonchalantly. “Leave them alone to figure it out, Jimin-ssi.”

 

“You can’t tell me what to do –“

 

“I just did.”

 

“Saeron, stop it.” Yoongi eyes the girl with boredom before moving his boyfriend behind him. “And you stop too, Jimin.”

 

“He won’t go, don’t worry.” He adds, assuring Saeron who only nods and steps back to look at the couple not too far away from them.

 

“But –“

 

“No more buts, Jimin. Leave them alone, they’ll be fine. Let them sort it out on their own.”

 

“Sorry hyung, but I think Taehyung is not feeling well. He’s not going to participate in any of the activities.” All of them turn at Jungkook’s words and sees Taehyung almost pull away from Jungkook’s hold, but the younger refuses to let go.

 

“Is he okay?” Yoongi asks worriedly.

 

“Yes, I’ll take him back to the hotel so we can tend his wound properly.”

 

He scoops Taehyung up bridal style, earning a yelp from the older before he none the less, buries his face in the junction of Jungkook’s shoulder and neck.

 

“What are you doing? I can walk on my own –“

 

“Stay put.” Taehyung stops wriggling immediately. “Just hold onto me tightly. I’m taking you back, and we’ll talk about this after I finished whatever work it is that’s waiting for me.”

 

“I don’t want to get in your wa –“

 

“You can get in my way anytime you want, Taehyung!”

 

Jungkook stops walking. “I’m telling you now… it’s okay to call me whenever you want. You can tell me what’s bothering you, and I’ll do something to fix it if it’s within my power. You can talk to me about everything, and I’ll listen to you even if it’s something silly… Don’t you get it? I’m giving you all of me now – no. I probably gave you all of me five years ago too… The only difference is that this time, I’m going all out. I won’t hold back now.”

 

“K-Kookie?”

 

“All the things we didn’t do before, we can do it all now… we can make up for the years we’ve lost now Tae… no one’s stopping you now. Not even me. It wasn’t your fault. It was I who should never have let you leave me to make all the calls five years ago… I should’ve told you it is okay if you do it too… so don’t even think that any of that was your fault. You are not to blame. It was all me. All the wrong decisions I made that broke us apart, I regret it big time. But the moment you gave me a second chance, is the moment I promised myself that there’s no way I’d let you feel sad again… there’s no way this time around, Tae.”

 

Taehyung pulls away and meets Jungkook’s glistening gaze with his own, and the realization hits him that the Jungkook he knew before is not the Jungkook in front of him now. He doesn’t know how to explain it, but this Jungkook looks at him with eyes filled with determination rather than fear. Jungkook of five years ago was all but that. He was conscious, careful with his every word and of every move because he was protecting a secret he didn’t want Taehyung to know. The Jungkook of five years ago worked hard to make him stay even in defiance of himself. One thing that Taehyung has always been sure of is that Jungkook is the kind of person who does not hesitate in going after what he wants and keeping it once he has it. An aspect about him that seems not to have changed because the Jungkook of now, the one that is holding him so tenderly, wants him back, is making sure to have him again and keep him.

 

Taehyung suddenly feels like there’s a line between them that’s been crossed again, just like five years ago and it made him feel warm inside.

 

After leaving instructions with Namjoon and asking his father to handle the rest, Jungkook left with Taehyung and Yeonjun who started crying after seeing the blood on Taehyung’s knee. The boy insisted on staying with Taehyung, and it didn’t take much for Jungkook to give in after all, Taehyung and Yeonjun are almost inseparable.

 

“Hey Yeonjunie, can you do Jungkookie-hyungie a favor?”

 

Yeonjun meets Jungkook’s gaze with curiosity. Jungkook wonders to himself, how many times he’s thought of Yeonjun as his own son because of those eyes? Any stranger would assume that to be the case since Yeonjun is practically a carbon copy of the Jeon’s heir.

 

“Can you watch Taehyungie-hyungie for me while I work? I promise to finish everything before noon so we can have lunch with everyone.”

 

“Are they getting lunch at the restaurant near the beach?” Taehyung asks, putting Yeonjun’s seatbelt on before his own.

 

“Yes, we reserved that restaurant for today’s activities. The first set of activities is mainly mind games. The more physical ones where you have to go around the island will only take place after lunch.”

 

“And you won’t tell me what that is?”

 

“Not a chance, Tae. I can’t.” he chuckles and turns his attention back to Yeonjun. “As I was saying, we’ll take Taehyungie-hyungie to the clinic and ask the doctor to tend his wounds. After that, can you watch him for me? I know exactly what he’s thinking, and I’m not going to let him go back to where the activities are held without me. Can you do that, Yeonjunie?”

 

“Of course, hyungie. Yeonjunie will keep an eye on Taehyungie-hyungie while you’re gone.”

 

--

 

"This should do it." Doctor Jongdae smiles kindly at Taehyung after using a huge Band-Aid to cover his wound. "Now, Taehyung-ssi. I heard about the Team Building activities JGC employees have today, I know you probably want to participate, but I think it'll be better to let it go for now. Your wound will be painful for a few days before it heals. Not to mention, sand got into it, exposing it to dirt. We don’t want it getting infected. I doubt it will, but let's err on the side of caution."

 

"Thank you, Doctor Kim. About the team building, I don't think he will let me out after this."

 

"You mean the heir?" He chuckles. "Does Baekhyun know you're with that kid, Taehyung?"

 

"Finally dropping the act now, Jongdae-hyung?"

 

"Dude, that kid rushing in through that door caught me off guard, okay? I thought someone drowned or something."

 

"Why are you even here, hyung? When I heard you'd be gone for a while, I didn't know you’d be here on the island."

 

"That's because I didn't tell anyone where I was going. I'm not even here to work. I'm here with my family, on vacation."

 

"Then why are you here at the hotel clinic if you're on vacation?"

 

"Well, the resident doctor used to be my mentor in college. I'm visiting him, but he's been called somewhere, he was called to be on standby due to the teambuilding. I’m here helping him with checking medicine stock. I had just finished when you came."

 

"You were taken by surprise." Taehyung tries to move his right leg to feel the pain, and as expected, it is quite painful. It will definitely keep him from walking straight for days. "As for Baekhyun-hyung, he knows. He visited me at JGC just a few days ago."

 

"And he's okay with this? Yah, I know Baekhyun enough to know he scolded you somehow."

 

"He did, but it's okay now, hyung. Jungkook and I —"

 

"Jongdae-ah!?"

 

"Oh, hyung. You're back?"

 

"I heard about a patient and — Taehyung-ssi! It's really you! Uh, are you alright?"

 

Jongdae and Taehyung exchange glances and it kinda tells the younger that they'll talk later.

 

"I'm okay. Doctor Kim here made sure of that." He says, answering the resident doctor.

 

"There are no major injuries. I only skinned my knee hence this huge Band-Aid."

 

"I see, that's good. Jungkook-ssi requested not to let you out of this clinic until he returns though, so I'm keeping you here until he's done with his conference call meeting with his mother."

 

Taehyung gives Jongdae the "I told you so" face, which the other returns with a smug grin.

 

"Well," Taehyung smiles mischievously at the two doctors before moving to stand on his own. "Tell Jungkook, if he ever comes here, that I'll be with Yeonjun at the cafe. I left the boy with his nanny in the lobby, so I don't think I'll be —"

 

"But Jungkook said I should keep you here until he comes back, Taehyung-ssi —"

 

"And I'm telling you I'm not going to stay here to wait for him, Doctor. Anyway, you will not get fired just because I went on ahead. I'm sure he's not expecting me to stay here either."

 

With that being said, Taehyung carefully leaves the clinic and is soon wincing his way through the hotel reception area.

 

He finds Yeonjun waiting with his nanny in the lobby. He squints his eyes upon spotting the twins, who used to be his own bodyguards, chilling inside the café he’s meant to go in to with Yeonjun.

 

He is reminded of the look on Jungkook and Namjoon’s faces last night as if they were discussing something significant.

 

The twins aren’t there whenever Yeonjun is alone with his nanny, because he’s on Jeon property – or did he just fail to notice them keeping an eye on the kid?

 

It is to be expected that Yeonjun will be as guarded as any other member of the family, but as far as he knows, Yeonjun only has his personal driver as his bodyguard. The twins follow him around especially when the child is meant to be somewhere, and he’s traveling alone with his nanny. That’s mostly when he’s between home, school, and JGC. As for himself, Donghyun has always been his personal bodyguard since the day Jungkook left, Jongwan insisted on it.

 

And the twins have been guarding Yeonjun this closely since - when? When did it start? Why on the island? This is the Jeon’s island. If there is somewhere the family would always be safe, it’s this island. This island is as guarded as JGC and the main house.

 

Did something happen? The bodyguards came into the picture when there was a threat around the family five years ago. The twins in such close proximity means that something must have happened or is expected to.

 

“Hyungie!”

 

Taehyung snaps out of his thoughts when he feels Yeonjun cling onto one of his legs, and soon he’s meeting those Bambi-eyes.

 

“Hyungie, how are you feeling?”

 

“Ah, I’m okay now, baby… more importantly, do you know those two men over there?”

 

Yeonjun turns to see who he’s pointing at and shakes his head. “Grandpa Jongwan says they’re his friends… why hyung? Are they bad boys?”

 

“Ah, no! They’re not… they are our friends. Would you like to join me to approach them? We should greet them.”

 

“I don’t mind! Jungkookie-hyungie will be mad if I let you go alone… are they really your friends too?”

 

“Yes… I’ve met them before. Shall we?”

 

“Okay.”

 

The twins, as expected, look up as soon as they’re close. They stand to bow to him but look at Yeonjun as if they’re not meant to be seen by him. As if the boy isn’t meant to know them at all.

 

“What are you doing here?” Taehyung asks, eyeing them sharply.

 

“Taehyung-ssi, it’s best if we don’t discuss this here.” Kwangmin cuts off. “The young master…”

 

“I asked what you are doing here.” He insists still glaring sharply.

 

“Taehyung-ssi…”

 

Donghyun appears behind him, adding to his confusion. Donghyun is assigned to be his personal bodyguard, but Taehyung requested that he personally calls; so why is he here?

 

“What is the meaning of this?”

 

Donghyun eyes the nanny and moves Yeonjun away with Youngmin tailing them. Of course, the boy yells that he shouldn’t be away from Taehyung, but they still take him away.

 

“Donghyun, what the heck are you doing?! Where are you taking –“

 

“Taehyung-ssi, it’s best for Jungkook to discuss this with you. We don’t want young master Yeonjun to know that he’s being guarded. As much as possible, the family requested for the twins to keep a safe distance so he could still enjoy his life in and out of the house. We have been keeping it like that until now.”

 

“So tell me why you’re suddenly guarding him so closely? He’s on the island. Unless –“

 

“I’m sure Jungkook will tell you what you want to know, Taehyung-ssi. For now –“

 

“And why are you here? I didn’t call you.” Taehyung steps back. “What is happening, Donghyun?"

 

Donghyun sighs in defeat and watches Yeonjun being carried by the nanny. Taehyung knows he’s already crying for being away from him when he was asked to keep an eye on him by Jungkook.

 

“There’s a threat of abduction… for the young master.”

 

“For who?”

 

“For young master Yeonjun…”

 

--

 

At precisely eleven o’clock Jungkook steps out of the elevator with Misun. Just like he promised, everything is settled before noon. Namjoon has informed him that everyone is ready for lunch. They have completed three of the games. The first one took longer than expected because seemingly the quizzes Namjoon had prepared were too difficult for some to answer.

 

“Are you going back to the mansion, mom?”

 

Misun nods before turning to him. “As much as I want to join you for lunch, I think I’d rather go back to the mansion and finish this work that came up.”

 

“Mom, you’re here on vacation. You don’t have to deal with this now.”

 

“I know. But I also made plans with Jihyun and your grandma. Don’t worry.”

 

“Don’t work too much. Okay? I’ll go check on Taehyung at the clinic. I –“

 

“I don’t think he’s still at the clinic.”

 

Jungkook follows Misun’s line of sight and finds Taehyung leaning against the wall at the end of the hall. Yeonjun is with him, eating ice cream. What makes them come to a halt though is the sight of Donghyun and the twins a short distance behind Taehyung.

 

“Did you tell Taehyung about the situation you discussed with your father over the phone this morning?”

 

“Not yet. I guess he knows now.”

 

As they approach, Misun moves to take Yeonjun away, giving the other two spaces to discuss the recent developments. Taehyung is literally acting as Yeonjun’s father, so he has the right to know everything.

 

“What’s happening? What is this about a threat of abduction? Donghyun says –“

 

“Calm down, Tae. Right now, there’s no reason for us to panic.”

 

“What do you mean there’s no reason for us to panic? The twins are literally ten steps away from Yeonjun, Jungkook. They’ve never been that close before. That means something is happening and Donghyun won’t tell me anything!”

 

“Namjoon received a call… from Yeonjun’s – I don’t even want to call that his father, but we received a call from Yeonjun’s father. He wants to see Yeonjun.”

 

Taehyung looks at Jungkook stunned. “No way… he called? What for? Does he want to take Yeonjun away from us?”

 

“No. There’s no chance for him to take Yeonjun away. I won’t let him near him.” Jungkook takes Taehyung’s hand, something the other needs for comfort. “For now, let’s go have lunch with the others. This isn’t a matter to be discussed now.”

 

Taehyung stops Jungkook from walking and the younger turns back to him with worry in his eyes. Taehyung is shaken, and he’s sure the other members of the family, especially Somi will be too.

 

"Is that why the bodyguards are all over us again? Because that dumb called? How did he even acquire anyone from the family's number? And Namjoon-hyung's of all people?"

 

"We still don't know, security is investigating. I guess he asked around. The thing is, the number he called is hyung's personal number, meaning only someone close with hyung could have given him the number."

 

Jungkook notices how Taehyung bites his fingernail, a sign of anxiety. Taehyung is nervous and —

 

"Tae, are you scared right now?" Jungkook moves closer to Taehyung, almost pinning him against the wall. "Does the news make you feel scared? You know I won't let him get near my nephew, Tae."

 

"That's not what I'm worried about, Jungkook. Yeonjunie... He's a good kid, a smart one too... Did... Did you know that he used to ask us about his father? Jungkook, he wants to see his dad! And what if he finds out about his dad wanting to meet him now? He'll go with him!" He exclaims, trying to lower his voice because Yeonjun is still just a small distance away. "He only stopped asking when Somi told him that it upsets her when he asks about him... Jungkook, we can't actually tell him that he's —" he gulps, hurting just thinking about the word but Jungkook doesn’t let him say it and just hugs him tightly.

 

"I need you to calm down for me, Tae... Please. I know this is scary and I know Yeonjun will end up getting hurt the most, but if there is one thing I'm sure of, it is that I will protect him at all cost. But, we both know that sooner or later, we have to tell him right?"

 

Taehyung freezes making Jungkook’s arms tighten around him.

 

”If he finds out on his own... it will hurt him more. I don't want him to end up just like me... Everyone around him knows except for him, and that is a situation I don't want Yeonjun to be in... I won't let that happen to him."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"He has to know Tae. Everything about his dad, he has to know." Jungkook says, the determination in his voice. "It doesn't have to be now, but we all know he has to know that he's —"

 

"Abandoned by his father." Taehyung finishes the sentence, making Jungkook look away from him. Of course, he hates that for his nephew and damn that man for making it seems like that. "I don't want him anywhere near Yeonjun, Jungkook. I know I'm not part of your family, but that child deserves more. He doesn't have to know about his dad leaving his mother to figure things out alone."

 

"But he has the right to know, Taehyung. I hate the idea of it too, and I'm not saying we have to let them meet. And what do you mean you're not part of the family? You've always been part of my family, Taehyung! That’s why it’s going to be either you or Somi who tells him about his dad. We don't have to make them face each other, Tae. I don’t think Yeonjun will ever want to be with someone who left his mother because she got pregnant. He’s smart... and a Jeon. He will be okay. He has us. He’s not going anywhere.”

 

Jungkook’s assurances calm him. He is well aware of how protective the Jeons are when it comes to family. As far as he can remember Somi’s mother never even got a glimpse of her daughter before being dragged behind bars. Somi is a Jeon, he knows she won't let that man near her son, not when he left for the same reason her own mother left her.

 

He remembers the time Somi felt so sorry for her son, saying she must be cursed since what happened to her is happening to her son. But being born in a tight-knit family, it made her realize that losing one didn’t mean she lost everything. Her family is her everything. And knowing the Jeons, they will protect Yeonjun just like they protected her.

 

He trusts Jungkook with that.

 

“For now, let’s go have lunch. Don’t think about this matter so much… it’ll be fine, Tae.”

 

--

 

The restaurant is indeed reserved entirely for JGC employees, who are already enjoying the feast. Taehyung stops right beside his team's table. Jungkook stops as well when Yeonjun lets go of his hand to stay with Taehyung. Obviously, Yeonjun will choose to stay, if there is one group from JGC he is entirely comfortable with, it is Taehyung’s team since that is where he goes every day after day-care.

 

"Do you want to stay here with Taehyung, Yeonjunie?" Jungkook asks, and he only nods.

 

"Okay, then I'll leave you here. I'll be with our friend's over there.” He points in the direction of their table. “Call me if you need — oh wait, should I go dish up food from the buffet for you and Yeonjun?” he redirects to Taehyung.

 

"No, it's okay. Let's go together."

 

"You sure?"

 

"Of course. I don't want to trouble you."

 

"You know I don't mind it a bit Tae."

 

"I just don't want to be misunderstood... After all, everybody knows we broke up five years ago, right? I don't want them getting any weird ideas about us and —"

 

"I don't care about what others thought five years ago. What makes you think I care now?”

Taehyung halts, and he knows his team can hear what they are talking about. He is also sure that they can see him blush too.

 

"Anyway, if going together makes you more comfortable than me getting your food, I don't mind. Whatever you say goes, Tae."

 

And so they go together, with Yeonjun holding onto Taehyung's t-shirt.

 

"Yeonjunie, take this plate with you and fill it with all the sweets you want, okay? Jungkookie-hyung and I will get our main dishes. Can you do that, baby?"

 

"Yes, hyungie! I can!"

 

"And do you remember what I told you when we went to a buffet restaurant before?"

"That I should always ask for assistance."

 

"Very good." He ruffles the boy's hair fondly. "Now go, baby. We'll be here waiting for you so take your time, okay?" He turns to the nanny after receiving an enthusiastic nod from Yeonjun. "Go with him, please."

 

"Yes, sir."

 

Once they are gone, he finds Jungkook holding tongs and eyeing the array of food in front of him.

 

"What would you like to have, Tae?"

 

"I don't really mind. I just can't eat too much —"

 

"Spicy foods, yeah, got it." He places what seems to be carbonara pasta, only it has flat noodles. "I remember you liking pasta and of course, steak. Should I dish two or should I put Yeonjun's on a different plate?"

 

"I-It's okay to put it on mine. Besides, I didn't say I'll eat with my team. Our friends' table has three vacant seats which are probably being saved for us, so let's just sit there."

 

“You sure about that? Won’t it make you feel uncomfortable?”

 

“We’re with our friends, how can I feel uncomfortable –“ he pauses because Jungkook is looking at him with a mischievous smile.

 

“You were quite uncomfortable back there, Tae.” He teases, making Taehyung blush even more than he already is.

 

“Jungkook, just put food on my plate.”

 

“Alright.”

 

After they’re done filling their plates, they go to join their friends’ table, confirming that Jin saved the seats for them.

 

“How’s your knee?” Jimin is the first to ask as he looks at his friend’s tended knee. “You’re not bleeding anymore?”

 

“Yeah, and it’s fine. I just skinned it a bit. Sorry for scaring you.”

 

“Why did you even run?” Jin asks next, and it makes Taehyung go quiet. Jungkook beside him doesn’t say anything; instead, he just gives Yeonjun his own fork (not that he’ll need one because Taehyung will feed him with his own utensils).

 

“I kind of forgot to ask Jungkook something so… I tried to catch up to him.”

 

His friends look at him with curious eyes, but he sighs in relief when no one pushes the topic further. Namjoon smiles at him with his dimples out and tells him about the games they had so far.

 

“It’s just too bad you won’t be able to participate this time, Tae. I always anticipate you solving my puzzles.”

 

“It’s not that I can’t join anymore, hyung.” He says and quickly adds. “Just as long as the next activities don’t require me to run or something, it’ll be fine.”

 

Jungkook smiles at him with concern and Taehyung knows that he really made the younger very worried for him.

 

“It doesn’t. Some activities are like obstacles with your team. It’s nothing so serious that will require you to run.”

 

“Then I’ll see what I can do later for my team. Jihoon will probably sulk for days if we lose here.” He looks at the table where his team is and true to his word, Jihoon is wearing that “we can’t lose” expression. “Who’s leading so far?”

 

“Finance,” Jin says, holding a small notebook where he’s been keeping score. “I didn’t know Minjae is smart. He was the only one answering Namjoon’s quizzes earlier.”

 

“He’s brilliant. He was a Dean’s lister in college.” Taehyung informs them. “By the way, where’s Hoseok-hyung and Saeron?”

 

“Now that you mention it…” Jin looks around. “Saeron said she was going to get some sodas from the drinks station over there, Hoseok went with her, but they haven’t returned yet.””

 

“And why did Hoseok-hyung accompany her?” Jungkook asks in a teasing voice, making Taehyung smile and their friends curious. “I mean, Saeron only needs to get her own drink, doesn’t she?”

 

“I asked if she’d be kind enough to get me a refill.” Yoongi smiles widely beside Jimin. “I mean, I happened to spot something entertaining, and I couldn’t let it go without adding some fuel to the fire.”

 

“Oh, you know hyung?” Taehyung arcs an eyebrow and Yoongi shrugs.

 

“What? What do you know?” Jimin sits closer to where Yoongi is, trust Jimin to always be the slowest to get the hint, but the other only shrugs making his boyfriend scowl. “You won’t tell me?”

 

“You can figure it out on your own sunshine. It’s more fun that way.”

 

“What happened while we were gone?”

 

“Oh, well someone might’ve almost drowned because of this guy’s games…” he points at Namjoon who looks at him in confusion. “… And this other someone was keeping an eye on someone, so managed to run and rescue someone and –“

 

“What’s with the excessive use of ‘someone’?” Jimin asks annoyed. “Can’t you just get to the point?”

 

“Ohhh… I see what you’re talking about.” Jin joins in, only making Jimin scowl harder.

 

“What the fudge is this mind game? I only promised to join the committee, not the game itself.”

 

“Oh sunshine, open your eyes, and you’ll see what we mean.”

 

“Hey, we’re back!” Hoseok yells excitedly from a distance while balancing a tray of drinks. There’s 5 on Hoseok’s tray and 4 on Saeron’s. They place the trays on the table before settling in their seats.  “I figure you’re already here, so I got you your drinks. I hope Sprite is okay.” He adds in Jungkook’s direction.

 

“Yah, I saw the refreshments kiosk earlier, and they have a variety of drinks there. Why did you only get us Sprite?” Yoongi eyes the drinks as if they are screaming profanities at his face. “And didn’t we all ask for different drinks? Jimin wants Pepsi, right? Jin wants Coke zero, Namjoon wants –“

 

“Who cares what you want?” Hoseok cuts in. “Besides, it’s tiring to transfer from one drinks dispenser to another.”

 

“Then why did you volunteer to go with Saeron and get us our drinks?”

 

“Well, Saeron is a girl, and she shouldn’t go alone. What if she met with that guy who punched her in the face?”

 

“Hyung, this place is reserved, and that guy is already off the island,” Jungkook says, holding back his laughter because his hyung is being so cute. “Besides, that girl can land a punch unlike you. You’re such an angel, you can’t even hurt a fly.”

 

“What the heck Jungkook?”

 

“Okay, settle down children,” Jin says in a giggly voice. “Just pass us our own drinks and let’s continue our meal, shall we? Yeonjun has been staring at Tae’s plate as if he wants to devour the whole thing plate and all, yet he’s patiently waiting for Taehyung to feed him.”

 

When they’re about to eat again, Jimin suddenly jumps from his seat with wide eyes trained on Saeron, knocking his chair over in the process. “OH MY GOSH!”

 

Saeron who was shyly distributing the drinks with Hoseok startles and looks back at him weirdly. Jungkook realizes what’s about to leave Jimin’s mouth and stands from his own seat, but Taehyung is faster and manages to stuff a piece of steak into Jimin’s mouth effectively shutting him up.

 

“Yah, Park Jimin. Sit the heck down.” Taehyung warns. “Let things happen naturally.” He says signaling his best friend with his eyes. “Calm down, Jimin.”

 

Jimin sits down and almost chokes when he takes a large gulp of soda to help him swallow the big piece of steak.

 

“Jungkookie-hyung… can you crack hard boiled eggs with just your palm?”

All attention goes to Yeonjun who is holding out an egg, they don’t know where he got it from. “Yoongi-hyungie says we can’t crack eggs open with just our palms. Even if we squeezed it hard…”

 

“Uh…” Jungkook takes the hard-boiled egg from Yeonjun’s hand. “Where did you get these eggs from baby?”

 

“I asked for them there where the ramen is,” he says pointing at one end of the buffet table, while at the same time taking a bite of what Taehyung is feeding him.

 

“Yah, I told you. It’s impossible to break the egg no matter how hard you squeeze it –“

 

As he says that, Jungkook squeezes the egg and it breaks, earning an excited yelp from Yeonjun and applause from Somi and Saeron. Taehyung looks at him in surprise, and the rest break out in laughter, led by Hoseok.

 

“Yoongi-hyungie lied!” Yeonjun shouts. “Jungkookie-hyungie broke it!”

 

“Yah… how did you even – you broke it with your thumb, brat!”

 

“Same thing?”

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“Well, at least I can do it with just my thumb. What can you do?” Jungkook mocks Yoongi who barely manages to reach and kick him under the table.

 

Taehyung asks for an egg and tries to squeeze it with his palm but fails. “I can’t do it.” he pouts cutely, making Jungkook coos.

 

Jimin is busy peeling one for Yoongi who’s starting to pout as all their friends try to break the egg with just their palms.

 

“Give me one, Yeonjunie,” Jin says to the boy who passes it to him. “What do you mean you can’t break it with your –“ one squeezed from Jin and it broke. “fist no matter how hard you squeezed it? Yah, Yoongi. You cheater!”

 

--

 

After lunch, Taehyung is surprised to find Namjoon waiting for him outside the bathroom. He accompanied Yeonjun so he could pee and change his clothes because he wants to swim. Since Jungkook is back, Jongwan can finally play with the child. Sejin, Junghyun and Taeyeon decided to join later after they’ve had their own lunch at the mansion, at least that’s what Jongwan says to assure Taehyung that the child will be fine with them.

It’s not that he doesn’t trust them but knowing about the situation with Yeonjun’s father has him a bit scared. Yeonjun isn’t his, but it’ll truly break his heart if anything were to happen to him. His heart won’t take it.

Somi comes to get Yeonjun from Taehyung and excuses herself after telling them that they can be found on the beach if needs be.

“What’s up hyung?” he asks as soon as he’s beside Namjoon who is looking so tense, something very unusual for him. “Problem?” he tries again and this time, Namjoon shakes his head as a response. “Okay? Um, do you want to talk about it?”

“Taehyung.”

“Yes, hyung? What is it? Do you need help with anything?”

“Yes, I… I haven’t told the others yet, and Yoongi found out just this morning but…”

“But?” he urges patiently. “Hyung, if something bothering you, you know you can tell me right?”

Namjoon lowers his head, not sure if this is the right time to seek Taehyung’s help. He considers that he might not get another opportunity today, so it’s now or never. He looks back up at Taehyung with anxious eyes.

“I’m proposing to Jin…”

“HOLY –“

Namjoon is quick to cover Taehyung mouth and pin the younger against the wall. “Ssh… be quiet… please, Tae. Help me on this, please.” As he gets a nod from Taehyung, he releases the younger’s mouth and exhales. “I want it to happen tomorrow night in front of my family… mom knows this and dad too… I’ve been planning things with them. I also told Jin’s parents and they were okay with it. But because Jin’s parents are out of the country and won’t be back for another month, I’m kind of thinking of postponing. But the rings were finished last week and now they’re with me. I didn’t know his parents would be gone for so long so I’m thinking if it’s okay to postpone things to a much later date because I want everyone that is important to both Jin and I to be there – why are you tearing up, Tae?” Namjoon asked in confusion because Taehyung suddenly teared up.

Taehyung blinks the tears away and shakes his head, trying to tell Namjoon that he’s okay and that he isn’t crying at all. “I just… I’m wondering what took you so long, hyung? Jin-hyung deserves that ring earlier.”

“I know, but I told you. The timing , and I just couldn’t gather all our loved ones in one place. Not to mention Jungkook wasn’t here and I needed him to be. Now he’s taken over as CEO, and the family’s all gathered to celebrate, it’s the ideal opportunity.”

“I – okay, that’s a valid point. So, what do you want to do? If Jin-hyung’s parents aren’t going to be here, what are we going to do?”

“Actually, I’m a little grateful if I had to cancel my plans tomorrow. I still can’t figure things out, you know? I bought this house in Seungbuk-dong, and it’s still empty –“

“In Seungbuk-dong? How close is it to Jungkook’s house?”

“Well, we’re basically neighbors. Just five houses away.”

“What –“

“Yeah, I know. So, listen to me. If I will postpone the proposal, I at least want to finish the house I bought so I need to know what Jin wants inside the house, but I can’t ask him directly, right? We’ve been living in my penthouse, and he deserves the house of his dreams, so I bought the house, but as I’ve said, it’s empty, and I need Jin to –“

“You need to know what Jin-hyung wants? Hyung that is such a stupid question. You’ve been living together for so long. It’s impossible not to know what he wants.”

Namjoon sighs exasperatedly. Taehyung just won’t get it. “Jin always tells me that he’s satisfied living in my penthouse, Tae. I’m sure he’ll throw a fit once he finds out that I bought a house. He just moved in, okay? He moved in with his clothes, with his sugar gliders, and we’re planning on getting a dog, his books, and –“

“You didn’t ask him what if questions like, what if you were to buy a house with him, what would he want to be in it?”

“He just wants a huge kitchen in it, a double door refrigerator, complete set of kitchen knives, and complete set of cooking equipment…”

“Then we start there!” Taehyung says encouraging the older male whose eyes get wide. “We start with his dream kitchen. And hyung, you need Jungkook in on this.”

“I… okay, I’ll tell Jungkook. You can handle the rest right?”

“I’ve got you, hyung!” Taehyung beams at him with an excited smile. “I know Jin-hyung well enough to know what he wants, so leave it to me!”

--

“You know, you always only have eyes on Taehyung even when he’s surrounded by so many other people…”

 

Jungkook feels nostalgic at hearing those words from his father who came up from behind him. He beams a smile at Jongwan before thanking him for the glass of wine he’s offering him.

 

“I can never look away from that beauty, Dad… I fell in love at first sight after all.”

 

The activities have ended, and they are now back on the beach with some drinks and a barbeque. This is the party promised to the employees after the team building. Thankfully there have been no incidents or injuries. In the end, Taehyung only participated in mind games and not the ones that required more physical exertion. Jungkook vehemently opposed it together with his friends, and he just couldn’t go against them, especially Yeonjun crying when he wanted to join the tug-of-war.

 

Jungkook’s grandparents are also here to have fun with the rest of the JGC community, which explains all the security. As usual, the men of the family go all out when it comes to protecting the family.

 

“Did you finally talk to him about it?” Jongwan asks after a moment of silence. He’s also staring at Sejin who’s seated beside his son and was talking with Jimin and their other friends. “Your reasons, I mean.”

 

“I did. He listened to me, and he understands… he’s given me a chance to make things right, so I’m giving it my all. I just hope I don’t mess up this time… I don’t think I can manage if I ever had to let him go again…”

 

“It’s painful, isn’t it?” his son nods and Jongwan pats his back in reassuring support. “Well, you know what they say. When you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward. And I see that you’re finally letting go of all the excess baggage you carry in your heart. Right now, the only thing you can see is Taehyung.”

 

“I know, thanks, Dad… I needed that. I made so many mistakes in the past, and I’m still sorry for –“

 

“Jungkook, please, we’re over that. You’re back, and you’ve become a better version of yourself. You’ve accepted things as they are and you love me still… that’s enough for me, son. And before anything else, I just want to tell you that you coming back here make me so happy even if it doesn’t show… it shows me that I didn’t completely lose my family.”

 

“Dad… you will never lose me, mom or Junghyun.” Jungkook wipes away Jongwan tears and pulls him in for a hug. “Things may be different between us this time, but we’re still a family. That remains unbreakable. For Junghyun and I, you’re still our dad, and mom is still our mom… that can never change, even after your heart beats for someone else. Just as long as Sejin-ssi loves you and takes care of you, that’s enough for me. That’s all that matters… you are happy with the choices you made.”

 

“I – I'm just… I still feel so ing sorry, Jungkook-ah…” Jongwan clings to his son as if he’s about to leave again. “I know you understand now and you already accepted it… but I still feel sorry because, in the end, it’s just me that’s happy and –“

 

“Dad, no. What made you think that? We’re all happy with this outcome. You’re happy, that made me, mom and Junghyun happy. If there’s someone who should feel sorry here, that should definitely be me because it was because of my wishes that you made decisions that made you miserable. Besides, you just told me that if we can’t go back, then we should definitely only worry about the best way of moving forward, right? What has you so emotional right now?”

 

“Because if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have left five years ago and lost your own love… if it weren’t for me, you and Taehyung would still be a couple. If it weren’t for me –“

 

“I did that for myself, Dad. I decided things on my own back then, I walked away for myself… that isn’t your fault. Whatever happened after is also my fault alone, so stop blaming yourself for it. Just – just watch me okay? I’ll win him back… and if I don’t, I’ll make sure I’m content anyway. I’ll make sure that I managed to convey how I truly feel. So please Dad… don’t blame yourself anymore. I’ve got this.”

 

They stay there for a few more minutes until Hoseok comes with another glass of wine for Jungkook. Jongwan leaves, taking the empty wine glass from Jungkook’s hand, and Hoseok replaces it with the full one.

 

“So… we’re finally alone together.”

 

“Yeah… how have you been hyung?” Jungkook takes a sip of wine, eyes once again fixed on Taehyung who is laughing at something Jin said.

 

“Nuh-uh, I didn’t approach you to talk about me first. I’m here to talk about you. What happened with you back in Canada?”

 

“I don’t think knowing what happened with me in Canada is necessary anymore, hyung. I’m here now, let’s settle with that.”

 

“Jungkook, I know something happened back there. Saeron wouldn’t be persistent in making us understand your side if nothing happened.”

 

“Sae is just a friend. Of course, she’ll take my side –“

 

“I don’t think she’s the kind that takes sides just because you’re her friend first, Jungkook.”

 

“And what makes you say that? You’ve only spent time talking to her today, and you’re telling me you got so close for you to be able to say that?” he tries to tease, but the older doesn’t budge. He sighs in defeat, taking another sip of wine before talking. “Let’s just say… I almost drowned?”

 

“WHAT?”

 

“Calm down hyung… I’m okay now –“

 

“That doesn’t calm me down at all! Tell me more!” Hoseok demands, making Jungkook laugh in the process.

 

“I honestly don’t remember much… but it happened a few days after I stopped calling Taehyung… I was silently depressed and when I say silently, I mean depress without anyone knowing. I was trying hard not to alarm anyone. The nights suffocated me the most. I was putting on a brave face, pretending I was okay, even after letting Taehyung go. . My head was really messed up, hyung. I was a wreck... It was killing me.”

 

“Jungkook…”

 

“I was okay, at least I made myself believe I was… until I ing passed out in my bathtub and almost drowned. The thoughts of Taehyung being happy with someone else haunted me, it was killing me inside, hyung. And, maybe subconsciously I was doing it physically as well. I don’t know. I passed out. It wasn’t intentional. Anyway, to make a long story short, I was hospitalized for three days. My mom was crying because she couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t talk to her about my problems. I kind of shut down, like a zombie. I wouldn’t talk to anyone. Not family, not doctors or nurses. Even the psychologist they sent to see me just sat there for hours because I couldn’t talk... Saeron was there. She was the only one who could get me to talk... because she asked me about Taehyung. The mere mention of his name was all it took for me to look at them, to talk. I opened up.”

 

“J-Jungkook, how could you not tell anyone about this? YOU ALMOST DIED! And why do I feel like this all happened before Taehyung got hospitalized?”

 

“Because it did…”

 

“What the , Kook?”

 

Jungkook only nods, smiling sadly. His eyes are still on Taehyung, who this time turns to where he is, smiling and waving to say hello. He acknowledges with a nod.

 

“I didn’t want any of you to worry about me, hyung... If you all started worrying about me and came to see me, your attention would not have been with Taehyung, he would have been alone – “

 

“We would’ve come to you with Taehyung, !” he hits the back of Jungkook’s head playfully, but tears start to leave his eyes. “You , why do you always let yourself suffer alone?”

 

“Hyung, I told you about this because I trust you. I trust that you will not tell the others about it, especially Taehyung. He’ll feel bad and start blaming himself again. I don’t want that. He’s not responsible for any of it. So please do this for me.”

 

“Tae deserves to know what happened, though. What will you tell him if he asks you about it?”

 

“I already told him things, but I left this part out so it will be fine. He doesn’t have to know, hyung. It doesn’t matter anymore. It’s in the past. I’m okay now, and I’m with him again… so I’m fine.”

 

Hoseok looks into his eyes with all seriousness for a second before sighing in defeat. “Okay, I won’t tell him or any of our friends. I still can’t believe you were hospitalized before it happened to Taehyung.”

 

“Shock probably hit him later than it did me because he knew nothing about my decision. At first, he probably thought that I only skipped calling him for a few days and that I would sooner or later.  Maybe he thought I was just too busy. So, it was a couple of weeks before he got hospitalized because – we know why.” he says in a low voice. "By then I was well enough, and Jimin helped me to talk to him while he was unconscious.” He takes a deep breath.

 

“I miss talking to you the most, hyung..." That makes Hoseok look straight at Jungkook, and maybe he gets a glimpse of what Saeron meant when she said that no one was there for Jungkook.  Because he can still see pain lingering in Jungkook’s eyes.

 

And then he suddenly asked himself, among those leaving and those left behind… which side gets more heartbroken?

 

"Do you... Want to tell me the answer to my question then? The real answer, I mean." Hoseok paused for a second before continuing. “How are you back then, Kook?”

 

Jungkook smiles, looking back at the endless ocean as he does.

 

"I was never okay, hyung."

 

"You brought it upon yourself, Kook."

 

"I know, that's why I never told anyone how much I was hurting myself. I was the one who left. I was the one who made the decisions. Therefore, I was also the one to suffer the consequences. I only have myself to blame, hyung. But thank you...” Hoseok hums, and he continues. “For asking me how I was back then."

 

"You know I'll always try to understand you, Jungkook. Whatever your reasons may be, you know I will. I'm your best friend for a reason." He utters in a rather hurt voice which makes Jungkook sad. "You know sometimes you tend to forget that you are loved, Jungkook. That there are people who understand and people who will try to understand you. You should really start opening your eyes."

 

"I know."

 

"Perhaps this time?" The older asks, making Jungkook snicker to himself. "No, I'm sure this time you'll try harder..." There's a playful smile on Hoseok's lips as he ruffles the younger's hair. "...but aren't you already?"

 

Jungkook looks ahead of him. The sea, despite it being nighttime is beautiful. The starry sky and the moon reflect off it like it brings them the universe itself. It's a sight that reminds him of Taehyung.

 

"You know hyung... Taehyung and I, we're really like a puzzle. I only realized that now... I fell in love with him because his eyes show more than he allows himself to. He's honest and full of love to share with people. Looking at Taehyung makes me think that I really am with an amazing person. He holds me still whenever I feel like the world is crumbling under my feet... Taehyung's eyes, when he looks at me, show so much love, support, patience and understanding, hyung... Love that overflows. Support that keeps me together. Patience that never gives up on me and understanding that knows me well enough to know how I am feeling at any given moment even without me telling him anything... And you don't know how thankful I am, hyung... That even after all the things I’ve done, the mistakes I’ve made, hurting him more than making him happy, he's still the same person I fell in love with five years ago... I'm glad he's strong enough to hold himself together and stay the way he is..." he can see Taehyung stand up from where he was seated, taking a nicely folded towel with him and make his way toward them, chatting to people along the way.

 

"Taehyung and I as a puzzle had so many pieces, with such a complicated design that it was hard to build. Especially when I lost five years’ worth of pieces. I am trying to build it again, but I’m starting over with a similar, but different design and I don’t know if I will ever finish it...”

 

"Kook, those pieces you spoke of is gone for a reason. There's no use looking for them now." Hoseok gently adds when he sees the tears glistening in Jungkook's eyes. "You —"

 

"I don't plan on looking for them, hyung." The younger chuckles. "That’s why I say I’m starting a new one, focusing on a different design. A simpler, more honest design.  After all, those missing pieces didn’t have Taehyung in them, to begin with.  This new puzzle will have Taehyung and me together in all the pieces.”

 

A/N: Can you tell me what you think about Hoseok's question to himself?

 

Among those leaving and those left behind, which side gets more heartbroken?

 

I'm excited to see your comments! <3

 

Thanks for reading. I hope this is satisfying enough.