010: Jamais Vu

OUR PREDESTINED END

A towel is draped over his shoulders, and he doesn’t have to turn around to know that it is Taehyung. The night is chilly despite the massive bonfire in the middle of their circle. Jungkook is yet to join in the festivities since he is still only observing. Hoseok left before Taehyung reached them with the excuse of giving them space to have a much-needed talk.

Jungkook doesn’t know how much time passes waiting for someone to speak, but when Taehyung moves closer to him, he opens the towel to share with him. Taehyung refuses, saying he is still pretty warm from the bonfire.

“Why are you isolating yourself when all of us are gathered around the fire?”

Maybe it is a subconscious motion, but they stop moving once their shoulders touch.

“I’m not isolating myself; I’m observing you from here.” He lets the towel fall behind him because it is hindering him from feeling Taehyung’s warmth. “I can see you are enjoying each other’s company, and it makes me happy that these are the people I’m to work with for a very long time.”

“We are all excited to see you in action, Kookie. We’ve heard great things about you through your grandparents, and everyone has high expectations.” Taehyung allows himself to press closer to Jungkook’s side when the latter leans back supporting himself with both hands on the ground. “And I’m proud of you, Jungkook. I want you to know that because I never got the chance to tell you when you graduated, or when you achieved your master’s degree.”

They stare at each other, letting their eyes speak louder than words. Taehyung has always found Jungkook’s eyes to be the most honest part of him, and he loves looking into them every chance he gets.

“I’m sorry we missed our chances, Tae.”

“I didn’t tell you that for you to apologize, Jungkook. You’re here now, and that’s all that matters to me.” Taehyung looks up at the starry sky, taking a deep breath before letting it out. It’s been a long day, and everyone is tired. For them to talk about the past tonight would be a bad idea. Still, there is just so much that Taehyung wants to know. He wants to catch up with Jungkook’s life during those five years. But he’s too scared to ask anything, not wanting to trigger something in their past that will make them feel sorry for each other now. As much as possible, he just wanted to let go of it completely and just look ahead of them. But he knows that it still and it will always bother him.

There are questions inside his head, been in his head for a while now actually. Questions he wanted to ask of the younger once he gets the chance.

Have you met anyone beside Saeron while you were gone?

Did you find anything interesting?

Have you developed any new hobbies?

Is the food there good?

How’s the air back there?

What interesting places have you visited?

Did you find a place that reminds you of me?

Is there a place you wanted me to see?

How about school? Did you continue dancing there? How about singing?

Have you learned anything aside from the norms?

What do your rooms look like in Canada and England? Was it larger than what you have here in Korea?

There’s just so much that he wanted to know but he knows he got to hold back for now and go with the flow as they go.

Despite all the things he wanted to know about the Jungkook’s five years of being away, he also just wants to let go of the past as much as possible. He needs to let go. They need to let go of their pain and look ahead to the future. But Taehyung feels like he really needs to know everything that happened to Jungkook – how he coped, how he managed, who he was with – for him to make adjustments for him and for them. He might need it for their future together, right? To make it better this time. There might be some things Jungkook started to like while he was gone and Taehyung is really curious about that. He really needs to know and he will tell Jungkook his own discoveries too.

Taehyung stares at Jungkook’s profile while mulling over all these thoughts. Having him here beside him is enough for now. They have time now that the younger is back and asking questions will ruin the serene mood.

“I can feel the weight of your stare, Tae.” Jungkook breaks the silence and Taehyung can see the smile forming on his lips.

“Well, you’re very attractive, can you blame me? Besides, you have been staring at me from here.”

The younger lets out a breathy chuckle before turning to face him. “I can’t help it either… you just remind me of someone so much.”

Taehyung’s eyebrows furrow, he’s confused as to what the younger means. Thankfully, Jungkook doesn’t wait for a response and explains sincerely.

“You look exactly like the one I need back in my life… the one I’m meant to be with… it sometimes makes me wonder if I’ve lost you somewhere before.”

Taehyung stares and his lips broke into a smile.

“Tell me you didn’t just sputter something so sappy.” He teased. “My gosh you became so damn cheesy, what the heck?” Both break out into a fit of laughter and Taehyung can say that this is the most genuine he’s let out in the last five years. “But seriously, I love the way you looked at me earlier. It’s as if you’re seeing me for the first time…”

“I don’t want to lose the sight of you, Tae. I lost sight of you when I cut you out of my life… I don’t want to do that ever again.” Jungkook hesitantly reaches for Taehyung’s hand and holds it like it’s something fragile and precious. He’s holding it with so much care that it makes Taehyung want to cry. In fact, there is just something about the way Jungkook treats him now that makes Taehyung want to cry all the time. “I’ve always been amazed when I look at you, Tae. Not only because you look ethereal but because everything I’ve ever wanted in my life is right in front of me... Again.” He adds making Taehyung smile widely. “So, I just can’t take my eyes off you even for a second, for fear of losing sight of you again.”

“You won’t lose sight of me again, Kookie… I won’t let you take your eyes off me. Not anymore. Just look at me… only at me. Okay?”

Jungkook smiles, and even in the dull light, he can see the blush creep onto the younger’s cheeks and up to his ears. He’s so beautiful and perfect like this. All sincere and his… all his.

His Jungkook.

He reaches for the younger’s face, alarming the latter with sudden cold hands on his face. Before Taehyung can even open his mouth, the words he wants to say leave Jungkook’s mouth.

“I won’t let you go again, Tae.”

Their smiles linger. The feeling in their hearts stay. Their eyes say precisely that with no need for words.

They still love each other so much, it wouldn’t hurt them to try again.

“Hey.” Jimin runs to where they are and hands them barbecue, which they thank him for. “Some are already going back to the hotel, but the rest want to sing around the bonfire. Want to join?”

“Sure, Chim.” Taehyung answers for them and Jungkook is ready to stand so he can help Taehyung up as well, but the look Jimin is giving him makes him halt.

“This is your last chance. Don’t mess it up.” He says and runs off to join Yoongi, who’s in charge of cooking the barbecue. Taehyung laughs at what Jimin did and Jungkook ends up smiling.

Picking up the towel from behind him, he holds out his hand to help Taehyung stand. Jungkook keeps him warm with the towel, as they make their way to join the others around the bonfire. Jungkook lets Taehyung sit first beside Saeron before settling down beside him, after smiling at Hoseok who is seated on Saeron’s right.

“Good of you to finally join us here.” Namjoon remarks, a beer in hand, he’s already is a bit drunk, his head on Jin’s shoulder. “Everyone is leaving tomorrow afternoon, we all plan to see them off. You’ll join us, surely?”

“Of course, Joon. Though I’m not sure what time I will be back from horseback riding with Yeonjun and Tae, I’ll try.” He says, accepting the beer Hoseok offers him. “Thanks, hyung.” He says before turning back to Namjoon. “You drunk already?”

“Nah, this is nothing.”

“Yeah right.” He takes a sip from his beer before meeting Jin’s eyes. “What you playing, hyung?” he asks because the older is holding the guitar.

“I dunno, you decide. You wanna sing?”

“Actually yeah, though I’m not sure if you know this song.” He says, taking the guitar from Jin and situating it on his lap. “It’s English.”

The younger plays a little to see if it’s tuned and when it is, he starts strumming the guitar. He is sure that no one would probably recognize it until Saeron speaks up.

“You perfected that song?”

“Yeah,” Jungkook says, eyes suddenly on Taehyung. “Do you know ‘Talking to the moon’ by Bruno Mars, Tae?”

“No, but I do know Bruno Mars.” Taehyung answers, placing the barbecue back on his plate for fear of dropping it. “I only knew you play the piano… I didn’t know you play the guitar as well.”

“I learned while I was in England, Grandpa taught me. It’s one of the few things I found interesting, so I decided to learn.”

One of Taehyung’s internal questions is suddenly answered, and it makes him smile.

“So, the song –“

“I know you’re somewhere out there, somewhere far away…”

Everyone’s movements stop, they go quiet, heads turning to where Jungkook is seated as he begins to sing. Taehyung stares at him, eyes wide.

Jungkook’s voice is as angelic as he remembers. He knows everyone else thinks so too.

“I want you back, I want you back. My neighbors think I’m crazy, but they don’t understand. You’re all I have, you’re all I have.”

Then it hits him… it ing hits him. The song, it’s for him.

Jungkook slowly opens his eyes, and it confirms… Jungkook is singing this song for him.

“At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself… Talking to the moon… Tryin’ to get to you, in hopes you’re on the other side, talking to me too. Or am I fool? Who sits alone, talking to the moon?”

Taehyung suddenly shakes his head as if answering the question in song, eyes locked with Jungkook’s, who smiles with the response from him.

“I’m feeling like I’m famous, the talk of the town. They say I’ve gone mad, yeah I’ve gone mad. But they don’t know what I know, ‘cause when the sun goes down someone’s talking back. Yeah they’re talking back…”

Tears slowly fill Taehyung’s eyes as Jungkook goes on with the song. He feels Jimin leaning in and taking his hands even though there are two of their friends between them; comforting him because he knows Taehyung is getting emotional because of the song.

“Cause every night I’m talking to the moon, still trying to get to you. In hopes you’re on the other side, talking to me too. Or am I a fool? Who sits alone? Talking to the moon.”

As the song nears its end Jungkook’s eyes remain on him as he remembers the guitar chords by heart.

“I know you’re somewhere out there, somewhere far away…”

The applause comes as soon as Jungkook stops strumming the guitar. Everyone starts cheering, Jimin smiles to himself as he hugs Taehyung because he knows it’s needed. Hoseok smiles down at his feet because Jungkook just reached Taehyung, touching his heart in the best way he knew how. Jin thinks the kid is really in love, madly, deeply and crazily in love with Taehyung. The thought that he has found his way back, for real this time, to where he belongs, at Taehyung’s side, makes him smile fondly at the younger. That being said, he wonders how many months Jungkook practiced that song just so he could sing it one day?

Yoongi is cheering from behind the grill, praising his cousin for doing a great job and telling him how thankful he is that Jungkook hasn’t stopped singing because he’ll definitely need it in the future once they start their entertainment business. Namjoon suddenly sobers up, feeling his cousin’s message through the choice of song, wanting to reach out – as if it’s everything he didn’t say to Taehyung, and as he looks at the latter, he can see the younger tearing up.

Jungkook’s voice never disappoints, it reaches out to people. It delivers the message of the song beautifully, full of sincerity.

As the cheering dies down, the crowd starts to disperse leaving only their group around the fire. Jungkook’s parents together with Taehyung’s, Namjoon’s mother and Yoongi’s went back to the hotel to rest for a while before going back to the mansion. Somi wanted to stay, but Yeonjun fell asleep as soon as he had his fill of barbecue.

They change positions around the fire, with the couples automatically sitting beside each other, then Saeron and Hoseok. Jimin wants to play a round of Truth or Dare. The others agree, to make it unanimous even though Namjoon and Yoongi whine that they are tired of that game since it’s a must-play at every gathering, it’s starting to bore the hell out of them.

Taehyung spread the towel and shares it with Saeron, so her legs won’t be attacked by mosquitoes. The girl looks surprised with the gesture but thanks him anyway.

“Okay, so here’s the rules.”

“Do we really have to set the rules, Jimin?” Namjoon interrupts, drunken state starting to take over again as he drinks from his beer, dodging Jin who is trying to snatch away the drink from his boyfriend.

“Of course we have to! So listen, the rules are simple, if you wish to pass any dare and decline to tell us the truth, you drink this shot here.” Jimin points at the alcohol in the small shot glass before him. “And no, there’s no exemption. That means Tae, you’re also drinking if you wish to pass any dare and decline to tell the truth.”

“Whatever, just spin the bottle, Jimin.” Taehyung challenges.

“This is interesting,” Hoseok speaks up, looking at Jungkook incredulously which the latter returns with a smug grin, because he didn’t see that coming. Jungkook is now nervous of whatever their friends questions for him might be.  “Whoever’s at the end of the bottle is the one to ask right?” Hoseok follows up, Jimin shakes his head.

“No, whoever gets chosen by this bottle will choose who among us will ask them a question or challenge them to a dare.”

“WHAT?” All of them say in chorus because somehow, that doesn’t make sense. Jimin grins wide.

“You heard me right, whoever gets chosen will choose someone to ask him anything for truth and dare. I’m sure all of us here are curious about something our friends would like to ask of us, right? I am curious about what you guys want to know about me or what you want to make me do.”

Jungkook smiles secretly. It’s like Jimin is giving him a chance to choose whose question he is ready to answer and somehow, he feels thankful.

“Shall we start this game?”

Yoongi grins beside Jimin as he looks at his cousins who suddenly seem anxious. He knows exactly what he wants to ask them, especially Namjoon, but Jungkook is tense now, so maybe he’ll play with him too.

Before Jimin starts to spin the bottle, Saeron glances at Jungkook. She can feel the tension from the younger like he’s expecting something that will end badly. She wants to reach out and squeeze his hand in reassurance but doesn’t want everyone to be more suspicious of her, especially when Taehyung is between them. He might get the wrong idea, and that’s the last thing she wants. She wants to help them get back together, not separate them more because of her presence. It’s enough that their appearance together made such a big stir.

Jimin spins the bottle, and they can feel the tension rising up as the bottle starts to slow down.

Taehyung is tense for a different reason though. He wants to ask Jungkook all the questions he has himself, but what if their friends are curious about the same things and end up asking? He doesn’t want that and silently prays that none of them ask him anything personal should Jungkook get chosen.

To Taehyungs dismay, that’s precisely what happens. He feels the younger shift his sitting position before meeting everyone’s gaze while chuckling nervously. Jungkook got chosen.

“I bet all of you have questions for me, huh? You’re looking at me like you’re willing for me to choose you.”

“Well duh, I badly want to ask you something so choose me!” Jimin insists. Jin holds the other’s hands down to tell him that isn’t fair, but Jungkook shrugs as if it’s nothing.

“Okay then, Jimin. As much as I’m curious about what you want me to do, I’m more curious about what you want to ask from me, so yeah, I choose truth and you Jimin.”

Jimin puts his palms together victoriously, and Taehyung gives his best friend a warning look, which doesn’t get noticed by the other.

“I’ve meant to ask you this, Kook-ah… so tell me, did you meet someone in Canada or England and maybe get intimate with them?”

Taehyung completely freezes, and he can feel everyone else does as well because wow that’s a low blow from Jimin. He sees Yoongi reprimanding Jimin, but the latter only shuts him up.

“Don’t tell me what to ask because this is all I’m curious of about Jungkook.”

Saeron clicked her tongue and is ready to tell Jimin off, but Jungkook speaks.

“Given the fact that I transferred to Canada and then to England, of course, I met people who somehow became my friends, but no, I never once got intimate with any of them.”

Smooth, Saeron thinks to herself. Taehyung’s shoulders deflate, that’s one of the things he wanted to know about Jungkook. Maybe he’ll ask what their names are and how he met them.

“Jimin, you’re such an ,” Jin says through gritted teeth, but the younger only rolls his eyes.

Yoongi spins the bottle and this time, it’s Hoseok that’s chosen. Yoongi smirks at that and starts thinking about what he wants to ask to the other. Unfortunately, Hoseok decides on truth and selects Saeron, who is surprised, to say the least.

“Uh, may I ask why?”

“Well, I’m curious about what you would like to ask of me as we just officially met today.” Hoseok smiles his sunshiny smile at her and Saeron thinks she’s melting. She can hear Jungkook snigger and wants to smack him, but just gulps instead. “And I would like you to relax. You’re so tense right now.”

“Oh, okay… um, I am quite curious about one thing… do you have a type? For your lover, I mean…” she whispers, but it’s loud enough for everyone to hear making them smile playfully at her. Jungkook is sipping his beer with a teasing smile, and Taehyung has his chin in his hand balanced on his knee, looking at her intently.

Hoseok, who is stupidly oblivious of the degree of teasing they are getting because of that question, hums as if he’s thinking about it quite seriously. “Well first things first, I can be with a man or a woman, I don’t mind. I’ve been around couples who are either same or opposite , and they’re both beautiful… Love is beautiful regardless of gender. Secondly, anyone I am with has to be caring, understanding and supportive – oh! And they have to be really nice to my friends here.” He looks around at the other six guys. Five of them shrug as if it’s nothing important at all. They seem to be okay with Saeron already, but Jimin gives her a smug look as if he’s daring her to take one more step forward. “They’re important to me, and I don’t want anyone and anything that might interfere with my relationships with them or harm them. Though if I so happen to really like someone and they’re not cool with my friends, I might have to choose between them... that’s still love, right? You can’t force others to understand and accept what you have.”

There is silence for a while before someone clears their throat and the eye contact between Saeron and Hoseok is broken.

“I badly want to ask a follow-up question, but we’re not allowed to, right?” Yoongi sniggers under his breath. “Shall we spin this thing again then?”

Jimin absent-mindedly spins the bottle and this time, Saeron is chosen. She doesn’t want to choose either Jungkook or Taehyung because they’re sure about her, so she turns to Jin and picks truth.

“I didn’t expect you to turn to me at all, but okay, I am quite curious about something... more like, been bothered since the day you came.” Jin exhales and looks at Jungkook to somehow ask for permission, and the younger seems to get what he thinks so he just nods. “You… don’t like Jungkook at all… right? Or like, you never once liked him?”

Once again, the tension thickens with Jimin gasping in shock because didn’t Jin scold him for asking Jungkook something “too personal” earlier? This is even worse than what he asked.

Saeron leans back, hands behind her to support her weight and looks at Jin intently. “So now I’m being asked about my feelings…” she giggles and Jimin asks what she means by that, but Saeron is quick to follow up her sentence. “You guys have always been asking if we were together and not how we felt about each other, so I’m a little taken aback but… to satisfy your curiosity…” this time, Saeron turns to Jungkook who only shrugs.

“If you want to tell them, I won’t stop you.” He says, but they can all see he’s anxious. Taehyung is looking at him with inquiring eyes. “I just – I don’t think it’s necessary to give the details. It’s not important and –“

“What do you mean?” Taehyung interrupts heart beating faster, before looking back at Saeron to his left. “Tell us.”

He’s anxious. Had they been together after all? Did they break up just before moving back to Korea? Moreover, can he even handle what he’s about to hear? What if it’s really true?

Jungkook can feel the uneasiness from Taehyung who’s glaring at Saeron, though he’s sure the latter doesn’t realize he’s doing it. He wants to hold Taehyung’s hand so badly, but he thinks it will only confuse him more than help him to relax.

“Okay…” Saeron starts, eyes landing on Jungkook before turning to the others who are waiting in anticipation. “I used to like him. And I almost confessed to him but –“ her eyes then land on Taehyung who shifts in his seat. “ – but before I could even tell him, he already put up a wall to stop me. How should I put this? Hmm, I think Jungkook somehow noticed that I was starting to feel something more than friendship or that I somehow crossed the line emotionally, so he took a step back. If I had confessed that day, he would have broken my heart, but he shut me down before I even had a chance. ”

“Can we… ask for details?” Taehyung softly mumbles, but their friends heard him loud enough.  Saeron smiles at him like she was planning on spilling everything anyway.

“At first I was so determined to make him fall for me, thinking that maybe we can work instead of you and him. I thought that maybe Jungkook and I were more of a possibility than you and him getting back together… but then he said that he reconnected with you and that you’re talking again.” She chuckles, remembering the exact look on Jungkook’s face that day.  “I can’t believe he put up the Taehyung wall to reject me before I could even tell him and moreover, he lied about it… the smile on his face was different that day, he was happy. But all of that was just an act to reject me… Even if it was a mere moment, when I saw the way he smiled just by talking about you, I knew I didn’t stand a chance.  No one but you will ever be capable of putting that kind of smile on his face. He’ll put up his walls and shut them down before anyone could even try.”

“That man is only in love with you, Taehyung… and I’m not even telling you this to help him win you back. He made the mistake of not trusting you, so you can give him a hard time at winning you back. I just want you to know because you deserve to know.”

It is silent for a few minutes before Jungkook moves from his seat to get more beer from the cooler. He is starting to feel suffocated and Taehyung not saying anything after Saeron’s little speech is making him anxious for so many reasons. Jungkook doesn’t want Taehyung to misunderstand, but he also does not want to go into any explanations unless Taehyung asks. He’s not sure if he’s allowed to talk about it or if Taehyung even wants to know.

He sits back down beside Taehyung and takes a sip of beer before scanning his friend’s faces. Saeron looks at him as if she’s saying sorry, but he only shakes his head to tell her it’s okay. They were bound to find out sooner or later. He was going to tell Taehyung everything anyway, it’s just that now he knows sooner and to make it worse, Taehyung didn’t hear it from him.

“There’s no reason for anyone to flip right?” Hoseok says cautiously with a bit of a laugh, gathering everyone’s attention. “We asked them if they were ever together… we didn’t ask if one used to feel something for the other. And, from what I’ve just heard, I think there’s no harm done.”

“Right,” Namjoon says, sober once again after hearing Saeron’s answer. “And they didn’t lie to us when they said they were never together because as Saeron just said, Jungkook rejected her before she could even tell him.”

Taehyung remains quiet, which has Jungkook on the edge of his seat. Jimin spins the bottle again, and it lands on Namjoon. It has Taehyung’s attention for a second, but he’s soon back into quiet contemplation.

Jungkook cannot decipher how Taehyung is feeling right now, and he badly wants to talk to him about it but… he’ll do that once they’re alone.

“Do you see yourself marrying Jin?”

All heads snapped up to look at Yoongi. Namjoon chose him, and for a second there, Jungkook stops breathing because Yoongi just asked something that he knows Jin has been insecure about. He is reminded of how Jin used to ask him if Namjoon ever spoke to him about getting married but to no avail. Namjoon never discussed his plans as far as Jin is concerned.

He watches how Namjoon gulps and how Jin tenses beside his boyfriend.

“I don’t see myself with anyone else besides Jin… he’s all I want.”

Jungkook suddenly has his attention on Taehyung who laughs in a very low volume, but it’s more of a squeal, so it has him thinking.

Jin tears up at Namjoons words and Jungkook sympathizes. Jin may ooze with confidence, but this is the one thing he has always been insecure about. Well if Jungkook were to ask Namjoon anything, he’ll probably ask “what’s taking you so long, bro?”

He smiles a little at the thought because he is sure Namjoon’s answer is an indication that a marriage proposal is just around the corner and knowing his cousin, he probably already has something up his sleeve.

A few more spins and Taehyung, who has been quiet since Saeron’s turn, is chosen. Jungkook waits anxiously for Taehyung’s choice.

“I choose truth… and Kookie.”

The latter sits to attention, confused as to why Taehyung chose him, but the glisten of unshed tears in Taehyung’s eyes strikes at Jungkook’s heart, breaking it.

“If things get better between us… will you let me take you to England? I badly want to show you something there…”

Taehyung gives him a look that Jungkook cannot understand. Maybe the other is confused as to why he asked this instead of something more personal, but soon, Taehyung is smiling…

“Of course, Jungkook.”

--

The night gets colder, and they plan to leave for the mansion. Jungkook and his cousins are at the hotel to arrange for the shuttle service with a staff driver to see them home. It is late, they have been drinking, and no one wants to take the wheel.

Saeron is left behind on the beach, in deep thought when she feels someone sit down beside her.

“I’ve been meaning to thank you for being there for him when he needed someone, Saeron…” Taehyung says.

She can hear the others in the distance, playing beach volleyball and failing. She finds it amusing that they try to play a game while so inebriated and in the dark.

“And thank you… for being honest with your answer earlier. I know it’s something Jungkook would never tell me unless I found out on my own…”

“He’ll tell you, Taehyung-ssi… I know he will.”

“He finds it unimportant and irrelevant, Saeron. I don’t think he will.” She hears him chuckle before taking a deep breath. “He will never tell me something he is sure would hurt me… he’ll keep it to himself and only tell me once I ask him about it. That’s how he’s always been…”

“Well, in my opinion, it is indeed unimportant. It’s in the past, and there’s no harm done. After that day, I’ve only looked upon him as the brother I never had, because Jungkook will only ever view me as a sister. It was an epiphany. No-one knows Jungkook like he does himself, but I believed he used the only thing he knew to stop me from confessing. I think he was afraid to lose me as a friend if I had confessed and he rejected me... And I know you know that I like Hoseok-ssi. Jungkook introduced him to me through their video calls and at first, I was curious about this person with the beautiful smile, and the attraction grew from there. I’ve always liked him. I liked him as a person before I could even physically meet him… Maybe the way I liked Jungkook before was different from how I almost interpreted it. Thank goodness he shut me down before I could even say a word about it.”

Taehyung smiles at that. “It will keep bugging me though… and we’ll fight about it sooner or later. I don’t want that to be the case. Even after you both telling me that you were never together, I know by the way he treats you and by the way you look at him will always plague the back of my mind. I will question it sooner or later, and I’m sure it will make matters worse… You know how important you are to him, don’t you? You’re dear to him. You might say he’s a dear friend and I know he is to you now… that’s why I’m thanking you. With all my heart… because there was at least one person beside him when he gave me all the protection and comfort I needed during the time he wasn’t there. I’m glad you were there for him…”

Saeron lets the tears that have been threatening fall. She just wants Jungkook to be happy again. She wants him to get those smiles back. She wants him to be the Jungkook he used to be. No way will it happen unless Taehyung is beside him. That’s just how it is.

“He loves you so so much, Taehyung-ssi… you have to believe me when I say that.”

“Don’t worry… I know that very well.”

Taehyung offers her his handkerchief before patting her back, consoling her for whatever reason she is crying.

“The shuttle service vehicles are all going around the island. We called the mansion to ask someone to pick us up so we might wait for a while.” Jungkook’s voice cuts through the jolly beach volleyball and Taehyung’s conversation with Saeron.

Jin suddenly runs to where Taehyung and Saeron is and picks her up, so she can join in their game while they wait. She is confused for a moment, but when she sees Jungkook hand Taehyung a warm chocolate drink, she understands that they all want to give the two some privacy.

“They’ve been quiet after the game of truth or dare so we all thought they would want some time on their own,” Jin whispers to her.

As their friends start another round of beach volleyball, Jungkook remains standing while Taehyung warms his hands on the drink Jungkook gave him.

“You’re not drunk? Aside from the wine, you shared with Hoseok-hyung and your dad, you helped yourself to quite a few beers as the games went on.”

Jungkook looks down at Taehyung and shakes his head before looking away again. “It takes a lot to get me drunk.”

“I figured as much… I’ve been watching you all night.”

“You’re not going to ask me anything?” Jungkook asks with his voice full of insecurity, something Taehyung took notice of. He just knew Jungkook so well and he knew that Jungkook is trying so hard to stop himself to talk about things he thinks Taehyung would ever want to hear only if he asks.

“Are you planning on telling me about what Saeron told everyone earlier?”

A sudden gust of wind hits them as the question is asked and Jungkook tucks his hands inside his pockets with a sigh.

“To be honest, I didn’t plan on telling you about it. Not because I wanted to keep it a secret between Saeron and me, but because I find it completely irrelevant to us, you and me. Nothing happened. I shut it down before anything could happen. You were and are the only thing on my mind. In my personal capacity, winning you back is all I’ve been focused on, and anything that does not serve my purpose in accomplishing that goal is irrelevant. I disregard it. Besides, we treat each other like siblings.”

“And if I ask?”

“Then I will tell you. But, as I’ve just explained, nothing happened.”

“That’s true…”

They are once again engulfed in silence, and as Taehyung watches their friends, especially Saeron, he feels the sudden need to hold Jungkook’s hand. He reaches out for Jungkook’s wrist, and the other removes his hand from his pocket to entwine their fingers.

“I told you... I always have my eyes on you, Tae. On you alone... I don’t plan on ever averting my gaze from you... not until the day you ask me to stop.”

“I want your eyes to be only on me, Jungkook,” Taehyung says softly, giving Jungkook’s hand a squeeze. “…I don’t want it away from me for even a second.”

“I don’t plan to take it off of you even for a second, Tae.” Jungkook says truthfully.

They let a minute pass by before Taehyung speaks up again, wanting Jungkook to know what’s on his mind as of the moment.

“You know, as much as I want to start anew with you, I am curious about everything that happened to you while you were away too… I got lots of questions I needed to ask of you, I got them memorized.” He chuckles to that. “But I don’t want you to think that I’m contradicting myself when I said that I only wanted to move forward with you and just forget about the past even though I know how much it bothers me…”

Jungkook eyed Taehyung with full understanding, sighing as he averts his gaze to look up in the starry sky. “You can ask me anything you want to know, Tae. Because let’s face it, aren’t we both adjusting for each other now? We lost five years’ worth of romance and we are so willing to start anew with each other and for us to do that, we have to talk about things that bother us and if this is one of the many things that bothers you, then I’m willing to talk about it. I’ll tell you everything you want to know in all honesty. And to be honest, I too, wanted to know everything about you while I was gone. Who are the people you met – I’m most curious of who Baekhyun is for you to trust him with Yeontan, by the way – how were you when you start going to school again, your plans, your goals – everything about you Tae. I want to know everything because I wanted to catch up with what I’ve lost sight of.” He looks down and met Taehyung’s eyes who are already on him. “Do you feel the same?”

“Yes… I do.” Taehyung says in whisper, almost inaudible but Jungkook smiles so he knows the younger understands him.

 “So, are we really going around the island with Yeonjun? I’m excited.” Taehyung changes the subject because he needs to breathe.

“Of course. That kid would whine all day if we failed to keep our promise.” Jungkook sits beside Taehyung and played with the other’s fingers as he speaks, thinking how Taehyung always got such beautiful hand with long fingers.

“Hey, Kookie… the people you made friends with while you were overseas, are you keeping in touch with them?”

Jungkook chuckles. “They’ve asked me if I’ve settled already and I told them that there’s no way I wouldn’t since Seoul is my home after all. We all have our own lives and are pretty busy, checking on each other's lives is not a priority. Our group chat room is relatively quiet. They’re mostly sharing pictures of things they find interesting enough to share with all of us.”

“Hmm… they seem like they could be fun to be with.”

“They are… We even formed a band at one time. It allowed me to sing on one or two occasions in our university.”

That got Taehyung’s attention, but he allows Jungkook to continue. “But, since we were all busy with our studies, we couldn’t keep it up for too long, we disbanded.”

“How about dancing? You continue right? Since you continue singing.”

“Hmm, those two things are merely hobbies of mine. It doesn’t really matter whether I continue to practice them or not, but I can still do it whenever I want to. I still dance occasionally, but more on my own, rather than with others.”

“That’s great… At least you got to do other things while you were over there.”

“It kept my mind busy, away from things I didn’t want to think about. Things that only frustrated me because I couldn’t do anything about it… it’s one of the few things that kept me together.”

The air is suddenly heavy, so Taehyung shifts the conversation to a lighter topic.

“About the thing you asked me during the game. I’m curious about the place you would like me to see.”

“Well, there was this museum that I’ve been to…”

They don’t know how long they talk about the things Taehyung wanted to ask of Jungkook. When the driver arrives, they are unaware of who lets go first, but both feel the sudden chill of not holding each other anymore, the feeling of emptiness.

--

“You’re still awake, hyung?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one to ask you that? Why are you still up?”

Jungkook goes straight to the fridge, fetching a drink before answering Namjoon’s question. Before he can even take a sip of his water, Namjoon pushes a small box toward him on the counter. It doesn’t take a genius to know what’s inside.

“Dude, can you chill with this attack? I’m not ready for this.” He jokes, opening the box to find two rings inside. “When are you planning to give this to him?”

Namjoon looks dazed from what Jungkook can see of his expression under the moonlight.

“These rings are custom made, aren’t they hyung? Moreover, they are tungsten. Where did you –“

“I found this jewelry shop on one of my business trips. This place makes rings exclusively for the likes of us… they were shipped to me a week ago, and I’ve been holding on to them for that long.”

“And? It surely cost you a small fortune huh? Even the box screams expensive.”

Namjoon smirks before emptying his drink. “You wouldn’t believe how much it cost me. I’ve used my diamond card so I could make them do it according to what I think Jin would like.”

“In dollars?”

“In ing dollars.”

Jungkook closes the lid before pushing the box back to Namjoon. He drinks down his water, before continuing. “I don’t see why you look so out of it, hyung. You didn’t hesitate to spend the money on those, I’m sure you’re not hesitating in giving it to Jin-hyung now.”

“The timing is always ing off, Jungkook… I planned to ask him to marry me here, with all our relatives around and with his parents. At least that was my original plan… but Jin’s parents are overseas and won’t be back for another month so – that ed it up.”

“Hyung, Jin-hyung has been waiting for those rings for so long now. And you’re telling me you’re waiting for everyone to be here before you give it to him? I’m sorry hyung, but that kind of pisses me off.”

“I know it does, but what can I do? I want everyone dear to Jin to witness it… it took five years before we got you back here with us… and now his parents are away and –“

“Don’t wait for anyone hyung! Just charge forward. I bet Jin-hyung’s parents wouldn’t mind. You’re only proposing, you’re not getting married yet. It would be a bad thing if that were the case, yes, but your proposal has been held back for so long already and just because you keep waiting for everyone else... however, Jin-hyung has been waiting for you only. It doesn’t matter when you do it or where or how, or who is there to witness it, what’s important is that you are there. Don’t make him wait any longer, hyung.”

Namjoon shed tears at Jungkook’s words. It hit him hard because it is true, he’s been waiting for others without realizing that Jin is only waiting for him. Suddenly just thinking of how it affects the other hurts him.

“You’re helping Taehyung with the interior design of our house in Seongbuk-dong, just so you know.” He informs making Jungkook smile.

“Of course hyung. I’ll do anything to help. So what’s the plan? Are you going to do it tomorrow night at the party? I know our family wouldn’t mind.”

“Well… just a second.” He says before dialing someone’s number. Jungkook waits, keeping an eye on the rings. He wonders if Taehyung would like to have one too.

If It’s up to him, he will marry Taehyung in a heartbeat. In any church anywhere in the world that allows for same- marriage. He would love to see his ring on Taehyung’s finger, but he wonders if Taehyung would want the same thing and that is where his insecurity lies.

“Yes… I’m planning to go for it tomorrow night KST…Yes… I’m leaving you and mom to plan the wedding with Jin of course… he loves to do those things after all… yes. I’m sorry again for this. I just suddenly got the push I needed to finally do it. Yes, thank you for your support… Yes, see you when you get back. Bye.”

He hears the click from Namjoon’s phone and turns to the other. “Done talking with the in-laws?”

“Yeah… I got their blessings… they said it’s fine, but I have to make sure I get it all on camera. They want to see how Jin reacts once I’m down on my knees.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered on that one.”

“Thanks, Kook-ah… and I’m sorry.”

“For what?” He stops midway to the staircase and turns to face Namjoon.

“For not asking how you felt back then… I should’ve asked you about it because I knew that there’s just no way you would have handled things well on your own. But because my mind was close to every reason you had back then, I didn’t really try to reach out to you. I’m sorry… I’ve always failed as your cousin. I failed you five years ago, and I even failed you now… I’m sorry, Kook-ah.”

“Hyung, there’s no reason for you to feel sorry… keeping Taehyung together, keeping him safe, making sure he’s alright… is enough for me. Besides, I was the one who cut you all out of my life.” The smile Jungkook gives him is one he hasn’t seen for a long while, and it takes Namjoon back. “Go to sleep… you need it for tomorrow.”

“Jungkook –“

“Joonie?”

Jin appears at the top of the stairs, rubbing his sleepy eyes to see clearly. “Why are you not in bed? Have you been drinking? Oh, hey Kook-ah… why are you not in bed too?”

Namjoon quickly hides the rings before looking up at Jin. Jungkook knowing the situation continues up the stairs and taps Jin on the shoulder as he passes, “Make sure he sleeps tonight, hyung.”

Once the door closes behind him, he takes in the image of Taehyung sleeping in his bed, tightly hugging his pillow, breathing slowly, his mouth slightly open.

He slowly approaches the bed and gently reaches out for Taehyung’s face.

He’s such a beauty. He almost lost it.

Looking at Taehyung makes his chest hurt, like something inside him is going to burst. His heart beats so erratically that sometimes he thinks it wants to physically leave him and go to where Taehyung is.

To where it truly belongs.

He sighs. What a silly thought, huh? But maybe it’s true. No, he wants to believe it’s true because he already bid his heart goodbye the day he met Taehyung.

--

The trio – Jungkook, Yeonjun, and Taehyung – are getting ready for their riding session. Jungkook finds himself smiling up towards the clear sky. He turns back to Taehyung who is tying Yeonjun’s shoelaces, and he can’t help but admire how the role of a father suits him. He’s kind, he’s sweet, he likes kids. Moreover, Taehyung wants to have one of his own.

It’s a pretty sight. A heart-warming one.

“Hey Kook,” Jin calls out to him. The older is helping with the party to be held in the evening with the family, which explains the clipboard with lists of things he’s cradling.

“Yes hyung?”

“What time will you be getting back?” Jin asks, checking the list of things he still needs for the party. “I need you to bring back some things from the mall. Namjoon and I can go, but there’s still much to do around here, and I just can’t leave.”

“You can just leave it to the maids to tend to everything, hyung.”

Jin raises his eyebrows and hits the younger with the clipboard. “I can’t. You know I enjoy this! Besides, I want to make sure that the food to be served later is perfect. And besides, it’s a party with you here with us.” Jin says affectionately before looking at Jungkook fondly who only smiles back at him. He understands his hyung’s sentiment after all.

“Why are you so into this anyway?” Jungkook wants to think that Jin is planning something for Namjoon too, something that will definitely ruin his cousin’s plan of proposing. “You’re not going to propose to Namjoon, right hyung?”

“What?” a blush creeps up Jin’s face and Jungkook thinks it’s bad, but the older averts his eyes, and clears his throat before looking back at him. “That’s his job, I won’t take it away from him. I just really like to be hands-on with this party. I enjoy organizing stuff with Namjoon’s mom.”

“No wonder auntie likes you so much. You are so like her.” Jungkook takes the list of things Jin wants him to bring back. “I’ll go get it for you. We definitely won’t be back so late.”

“No, I need you to be back by 4. Namjoon, Yoongi, and your Dad will see the employees off this afternoon, and you don’t need to go with them.” Jin informs.

“What? Hyung –“ his protest got cut off when Taehyung walks toward him with Yeonjun.

“What is that?”

“Things Jungkook needs to bring back after hanging out with you and our angel,” Jin says ruffling Yeonjun’s hair fondly as he smiles smugly at Jungkook, who only turns around to get in the shuttle service vehicle he is driving for the day.  “Now, go on. You guys have things to do. Tell me everything later, okay sweetie?”

Yeonjun nods enthusiastically and soon they’re bidding him goodbye.

As much as Somi insisted on them taking Yeonjun’s nanny with, Taehyung kindly declined, saying that he’ll manage on his own. Yeonjun has a habit of throwing tantrums once he gets bored. He continuously whines about going home and won’t eat his food until he is. Yeonjun also has the tendency to fall asleep quickly once he’s spacing out for too long. Right now though, looking at the boy, he has love-struck eyes trained on Jungkook only. Maybe he really does want to be with his Uncle who’s been gone for too long.

Yeonjun’s heard things about Jungkook, and that definitely includes how amazing the other is. In their family, Jungkook is admired and highly respected. It’s no surprise that Yeonjun is also one of those who looks up to him so much.

Jungkook returns the favor though. He’s just as excited to hang out with the boy. At least that’s how Taehyung sees it, sitting behind the two since Yeonjun occupies the passenger seat beside Jungkook.

“You okay there, Tae?” Jungkook asks just as he was about to buckle his seatbelt. “You can just sit here beside me and put Yeonjun on your lap.”

“It’s fine here, Kookie.” He answers after making sure he’s all buckled up. “Besides, it’s great to see Yeonjun clingy with other people besides Somi and I. I have to say this though, I’m surprised he’s warmed up to you so fast. Jimin, Hoseok-hyung, and Jin-hyung are quite the charmers, so it’s no surprise that he took a liking to them, but it took weeks before he could be left alone with Yoongi-hyung and Namjoon-hyung. He’s not usually this welcoming.”  

“He was all quiet too, the first time I met him through a video call,” Jungkook says while starting the vehicle. “I guess it’s because I’m the Jungkook-hyung he’s been hearing so much about that it didn’t take me long to have his attention. I heard from Somi that he’s quite a curious kid, so I’m sure he’s been so curious about me that he only gave me the silent treatment for a short time.”

“Now that we’re on that topic, did you know we were just in your garden when you called that night?”

Jungkook looks at him for a brief second before focusing back on the road. “Yeah, I knew.”

“Is that why Somi asked that no one is involved during your call? Because I got used to going with any of the family members when we got calls from your grandparents. They always included us.”

Jungkook nods, confirming Taehyung’s suspicions. “The others knew too, that I was the one who called.”

“I know, I kind of figured that out. They were all quiet once Somi left with Yeonjun to take the call.”

Jungkook maneuvers their vehicle to the right and doesn’t say anything in reply, so Taehyung turns his attention to the child.

“Yeonjunie, where do you want to go?”

Yeonjun hums, to show he’s thinking about it seriously, “Anywhere is fine, hyungie… I just really want to ride a horse.”

“Then I’ll teach you how to ride one. I’ve been meaning to teach you something. Didn’t I tell you that you’ll soon be learning something from me too?” the heir ruffles his nephew’s hair and the boy practically melts at the affection. Yeonjun really idolizes his Kookie-hyungie and Taehyung thinks about how everyone around them will swoon if they ever see these two together. “What else do you find interesting, Yeonjun. Tell hyung, maybe I know something about it and will be able to teach you.”

“He’s been really fond of the piano in the mansion.” Taehyung wipes the sweat from Yeonjun’s face with a face towel while the boy nods eagerly. “Your father told him you play so he kind of found interest in it too.”

“Oh, really?” Jungkook asks Yeonjun who nods again in confirmation.

“Namjoonie-hyungie says you play instruments and piano is just one of many instruments you play… so he asked Yoongi-hyungie to teach me once every week.”

“I see. Then I’ll teach you one of my favorite pieces one day. I have a piano back in my penthouse in Seoul, I can take you there. If not, we can use the piano back home. How does that sound?”

“Exciting!” Yeonjun exclaims while clapping like a seal.

Fifteen minutes later they arrive at the hotel, and the staff tends to them fast, as soon as they see the heir. Taehyung and Yeonjun wait for Jungkook in the lobby while parks the vehicle.

Yeonjun is really excited, and he’s been on his tiptoes looking around the hotel curiously. The kid has probably seen everything on the island through the other members of the family, but he still gets excited strolling around with a horse and with Taehyung and Jungkook.

A staff approaches them with a smile and offers them drinks, which they politely decline.

“We’ve prepared your change of clothes, Taehyung-ssi. Do you want to change now?”

“We’ll wait for Jungkook. Thank you.”

“Alright, sir. If there’s anything you need, please tell me.”

“Of course, thank you Jieun-ssi.”

The staff leaves and Jungkook enters the hotel while playing with the keys. “Are you ready?”

“Yes!” Yeonjun shouts excitedly, earning attention from guests and staff alike. “Are we changing our clothes, hyungie?”

“Yes, champ!” Jungkook says as excitedly. “There are appropriate clothes for riding a horse, and we’ll change into that first. Let’s go?”

After changing their clothes, Taehyung holds Yeonjun’s hand and leads him to the stables. Jungkook had gone before, to check on the horses. He doesn’t want any of them to get hurt in case a horse is upset or something.

Taehyung takes the opportunity to learn more about horses. Jungkook only taught him how to ride, he didn’t actually teach him everything else knows about horses. Considering he’ll be teaching Yeonjun, he’s sure Jungkook will give out more information to his nephew.

When they arrive, Jungkook is already standing right beside Belleza. Pikachu is also out of the stable, and he’s wondering why the younger only let two of the horses out when there’s three of them. Maybe Jungkook will not let Yeonjun ride a horse on his own.

“Okay, Yeonjunie, this horse is yours.” He says, greeting the two newcomers and pats Pikachu gently. “This is your Namjoonie-hyungie’s horse and the gentlest one we have. Belleza here is mine, and I’ll have Taehyung ride her. She’s the real jealous type and won’t easily warm up to anyone. I don’t want you to be kicked off her back if she suddenly gets upset.”

“Hmm, okay hyungie!” Yeonjun hurries beside Pikachu and runs his small hands to the parts of the horse’s body that he can reach. “It’s really cute, hyungie…”

“Do you know anything about horses, Yeonjunie?” Jungkook crouches down to the child’s eye level. “Can you tell hyung what you know so far about horses? I’ll tell you more about them after.”

“Uhm…” Yeonjun fiddles with his fingers and acts like he’s thinking of something. A sudden glint of realization shows in his eyes, and before they know it, Yeonjun is blabbering about horses. “Mommy says they can live up to 25 years and that they are herbivores!”

“Uh-huh, that’s right. And do you know what herbivores means?” Jungkook follows up and smiles as Yeonjun nods enthusiastically.

“Herbivores are animals who only eat plants! I’ve read it from one of my science books mommy bought me.”

“Wow, that’s amazing, Yeonjunie… good job!” he ruffles the kid’s hair fondly and straightens up to pat Pikachu gently. “Okay, let me tell you something about horses while you ride them, okay? Come, I’ll hoist you up on Pikachu’s back!”

Yeonjun lifts both his arms to welcome Jungkook’s hands under his armpits. After making sure Yeonjun is carefully tucked on the horse’s back, he turns around to see Taehyung where he’s been running his hands over Belleza’s silky hair while listening to their conversation, judging by the smile on his face as soon as their eyes meet.

“I’ll help you up too,” Jungkook says, hands on Taehyung’s waist as he guides him on the horse’s left side.

“You’re not riding one?” Taehyung asks as he gets hoisted onto the horse by Jungkook.

“Nah, I’d rather teach Yeonjun to ride the horse than ride myself. I’m okay. Just enjoy this educational trip from me.”

“Yeah right.” He playfully rolls his eyes at Jungkook who only giggles before giving him the rope halter. “I’ll be in your care then.”

“Alright. Don’t ride too fast.”

“I won’t. I’ll match up Yeonjun’s pace.”

Jungkook connected the halters from Yeonjun’s horse to Taehyung’s so he can lead both horses according to the pace he sets for them. As the horses start walking, Jungkook starts talking to educate his nephew.

“Tell me if you’re feeling like you’re going to fall, Yeonjunie.” He warns. Even though there are two additional staff members to tend to Taehyung and Yeonjun, he still has to make sure both are safe as they go on. “Okay Yeonjunie, listen. Horses can run shortly after being born, and as adults, horses can gallop up to 27 miles per hour.”

“What’s gallop, hyungie?”

“It’s the fastest pace of the horse or other quadrupeds, where all feet are off the ground at the same time in each stride. You’re too young to learn how to make a horse gallop, so I’ll teach you as you get older. That being said, horses have four different types of movements that they use. From slowest to fastest, they are walking, trotting, cantering and galloping. I can teach you to make them trot, but that’s where we’ll stop. I’ll teach you the rest once you reached the age for learning more.”

“Okay!” Yeonjun agrees.

As they carry on and Taehyung has just been following their suit, he gets to watch Jungkook’s back view so well that he’s already used to it. He can’t help thinking that Jungkook has a beautiful backside – and what he meant about backside, he’s talking about the dorsal portion of the body, roughly from waist upwards. Jungkook’s body is well proportioned and despite having a thin waist, he knows how beautiful Jungkook’s body is, he wonders if some guys die with envy just by looking at him. Jungkook has no bad sides when it comes to physical appearance, Taehyung can attest to that. The way he carries himself is y, the way he walks is y… just, Jeon Jungkook is really hot. Taehyung subconsciously fans himself at the thought. He can’t believe he’s looking at the younger with so much thirst, and in broad daylight! And to think he is yet to think about the portion from the waist downward. He’ll surely get there though and just by thinking about it, he feels like there’s steam coming out from him because of too much embarrassment. He can’t believe he has it in him. But…

Can anyone blame him for admiring the view?

He smiles to himself as he answers his own question, No.

“Horses have bigger eyes than any other land mammals, and since their eyes are on either side of their head, they can see almost full 360 degrees leaving them only two blind spots; directly in front and directly behind them.” Jungkook continues his lecture. “Horses are measured using hands and the tallest horse recorded was twenty-one hands tall though Belleza here already goes beyond that, she’s 24 hands tall.” This time, Jungkook turns to Taehyung who flinches in shock at the sudden attention on him. The younger looks at him suspiciously, as if he’s asking what Taehyung was doing before he turned around.  “They can sleep lying down or standing up, but when they lie down, it takes too much of their energy. You okay there, Tae?”

“Y-yeah! Just carry on with the lectures. I’m listening too.”

“Hmm, okay… I’ll ask questions later, so you better be listening.”

“I told you, I am!”

“Yeah,” Jungkook smirks before turning back to Yeonjun. “Your Taehyungie-hyung can get distracted so easily, Yeonjun. I wonder what caught his eyes just now.”

“Hmm?” Yeonjun turns to the blushing Taehyung worriedly. “Hyungie, are you sick? You’re red.”

“I-I’m fine… just carry on,” he says, averting his eyes and clearing his throat. “Continue from where you left off, Kookie.”

They spend their morning with Jungkook’s lecture and only stop once Yeonjun learns how to lead Pikachu to trot. Given that he’s only four years old, the staff along with Jungkook and Taehyung are surprised that Yeonjun learns how to make the horse trot just by listening well to Jungkook’s advice. Of course, there is a staff member following him closely on the side in case he falls, but Yeonjun is a fast learner even at this age. Jungkook insists on not teaching him any more than that but doesn’t leave without riding Pikachu with Yeonjun and making him gallop, to the child’s utter joy. Taehyung only watches them as they go and cheers for Yeonjun who is laughing the whole duration of the ride with Jungkook.

The heir promises to teach Yeonjun every year their family comes back to the island for summer or if not in the summer, whenever they would want. He makes Yeonjun promise to do well in daycare and to be good with his mom, though that is something Yeonjun is sure of keeping because he’s naturally a good boy.

They have lunch somewhere else. At first, they wanted to have lunch in the hotel’s restaurant but decided on somewhere else last minute. Now they are in the shopping district where the mall is at. Taehyung hasn’t been here, so he’s thankful that Jungkook decided to go.

While peeling the shrimp for Yeonjun, Taehyung asks why Jungkook suddenly decided to come here.

“So that after our lunch, we can roam around to have more fun and buy the things Jin-hyung asked me to take back home.”

They eat mostly in silence, only speaking occasionally. Yeonjun is still excited, something Taehyung thanks the heavens for, because it means the boy isn’t tired yet to whine or throw tantrums.

“How many bones do horses have again, Yeonjunie?”

Yeonjun puts a finger under his chin, trying to remember this information and once he does, he triumphantly tells Jungkook the answer.

“205! They’re only one bone short to what humans have!”

“Very good!” Jungkook praises and puts peeled shrimp on Taehyung’s plate. “Stop peeling shrimp for Yeonjun and feed yourself, Tae.”

“Thanks.” He says and puts one shrimp in his mouth. “Didn’t you learn about riding horses at such a young age? Meaning you learned things you taught Yeonjun at that same age… I’m surprised you still remember what you’ve learned.”

“I don’t forget easily. Especially about things that interest me.”

“Hmm… you taught Yeonjunie well back there.”

“I hope so.” He chuckles before putting more peeled shrimp on Taehyung’s plate. “And did you learn something from me too?”

The fork is frozen in front of Taehyung’s mouth as he slowly looks up to the younger who already has a playful smile on his lips.

“I already told you, I was listening.”

“Yeah, you did. And did you learn something?”

“Of course!”

“Then, can you tell me how many –“

Thankfully, Taehyung’s phone starts ringing, stopping Jungkook’s question on the spot. But due to his dirty hands from peeling shrimp, Taehyung finds it hard to answer his phone. Jungkook was faster though, and unlike Taehyung, he has been peeling shrimps with his spoon and fork so he got clean hands. Taehyung never learned how to peel shrimps with utensils and he strongly believes that shrimps are meant to be peeled using your hands so when that one time comes and he saw Jungkook peeling shrimps using his spoon and fork, he was judging him so much.

“I got it.” he picks it up to answer for Taehyung. He is confused by not seeing whose number it is but answers it anyway. He puts it beside Taehyung’s ear to help him. “Is this okay?”

“Yeah, thanks… hello? Baekhyun-hyung? Is there something wrong?”

So the number belongs to Baekhyun.

“Is Yeontan okay? Oh… you’re taking her to get groomed? Yeah, it was scheduled today. How is she? How are you and Chanyeol-hyung? Oh… that’s great.” Taehyung bites his lower lip, a thing Jungkook knows the other does when he gets caught up in something. “About that… I’m not going back today hyung. I’ll probably come back tomorrow evening with Jungkook’s family… yes, I’m okay hyung. Don’t think about it too much… Jungkook? Yeah, I’m with him. He’s holding my phone for me since my hands are dirty… what? You want to talk to him? Why?” Their eyes meet, and Jungkook is confused. He’s pretty sure Baekhyun is asking to talk to him. “Okay, I’ll give him the phone…”

“What? He wants to talk to me?”

“Y-yeah… he says it’s important. Hang-up on him if he scolds you.”

“Hmm…” he only hums before bringing the phone to his ear. “This is Jungkook.”

“And this is Baekhyun. And I’m hyung.”

Jungkook looks at Taehyung, asking for help, but the older is tending to his nephew, so he doesn’t get the attention he needs.

“Uh, okay… Baekhyun-hyung­.” He says, emphasizing the hyung so as not to offend the other. “You want to talk to me?”

“Yes! You see, my boyfriend and I are throwing a party to celebrate our anniversary –“

“But our anniversary is three months away –“

“Shut up Chanyeol – so, Jungkook… can you attend the said party? Your cousins are invited as well, though I am yet to call them. I called Taehyung first anyway. Jimin, Jin, and Hoseok will be invited as well. I’d like to take this opportunity to get to know you since I’ve heard a lot about you from your friends and Taehyung.”

“I mean, I don’t mind attending, but I need to take a look at my schedule first. We’ll be busy for the following days to come and –“

“That’s great to know that you’re coming! I’ll give Taehyung the details and ask him to tell you, okay? Give the phone back to Taehyung.”

Okay, Baekhyun is that type who never listens to what others say that’s what Jungkook thinks before answering him hesitantly.

“Okay then… I’ll see you. I’ll give Tae his phone back.”

“What did he say?”

“Something about a party.”

Taehyung tilts his head to the side in confusion before taking the call back. “What are you up to hyung? Isn’t that in three mon – what do you mean advance celebration? Whatever, I’ll hang up! See you when I get back.”

Jungkook dabs a napkin on Yeonjun’s oily lips before facing Taehyung. “I don’t really mind meeting them. Isn’t that supposed to happen eventually?”

“Well, yes. I do plan on introducing you to them, but it looks like Baekhyun-hyung is being an and wouldn’t wait any longer.”

“It’s fine. I just have to adjust my schedule to accommodate him.”

“You don’t have to do that. If you can’t make it that day, then you can’t make it. Don’t let him get to you. It will be his fault if you can’t make it on the day he set.”

“I don’t really mind, Tae. If I can make some time for it, at least I can pick you up there and take you home after I meet them.” The heir asks for the bill before turning back to Taehyung and continuing to explain. “I’ll be swamped for the next days to come.”

“I know…” Taehyung lowers his head. He expected it after all, so there’s no reason for him to feel upset. Jungkook is the CEO of their company. It’s understandable that he’s a hundred times busier than anyone else in the company, himself included, especially when he just came back and took over. Not to mention, Jungkook is helping his mother with their own company overseas. “You’re not off somewhere far away right? Like, business trips or something?” he asks insecurely. “You’ll tell me when you have to go, right?”

“I’m not going anywhere you don’t know Tae. The farthest place I’ll be from you would be when I’m in Canada to help mom if she needs my help. And I’ll tell you whenever I have to leave for somewhere far away or I can even take you with me if your schedule allows it. Don’t worry.” Taehyung relaxes upon hearing that.

“Y-You said I can call anytime? Even during office hours?”

Jungkook smiles at that. “Of course Tae, you can. Though I doubt you’ll call me much. I know you’ll be busy too once we get back.”

“Don’t even mention it.” he jokingly whines. “Anyway, do you mind if I ask you questions now? Don’t worry though, I will not force anything out of you. I just want to know something.”

“Sure, you can ask me anything.”

Taehyung takes a deep breath before locking gazes with Jungkook. “Have you developed a new hobby while you were away?”

“A new hobby?” Jungkook hums, and before he realized it, he’s smiling. Taehyung takes that smile as a good sign that maybe, Jungkook has. “I learned how to film and edit videos. One of my friends in England taught me. I find it interesting especially the transitions. My hobby of photography helped me grasp it easily. I don’t have finished product to show you though, but maybe I can start again here.”

“Hmm… I’ve learned to take pictures as well.” Taehyung says, playing with the food on his plate. No longer interested in eating. “Maybe you can look at some of my pictures and tell me what you think of it?”

“Of course, Tae. We’ll find time for that.”

Taehyung smiles and tries to remember his list of questions for Jungkook. “While you were gone, have you ever been to places that remind you of me?”

Jungkook stills. He doesn’t want to answer that question because Taehyung will know how pathetic he has become while trying to live his life away from him. However, he wants to please the older, and Taehyung is taking the initiative to help him make everything right again, will he really let this opportunity slip through his fingers?

“I, uh… well…” he stutters, clears his throat and averts his eyes to somewhere other than Taehyung’s face. “I’ve been to places in England. You know how wonderful their architecture is, so I went around with Saeron when I found the time. She knows the place so… I needed her as my guide. As for the place that reminds me of you…”

Taehyung gulps, he wants to hear this. He’s ready to hear this from Jungkook. He’s been waiting to hear this from Jungkook.

“There’s this infamous place in England, it’s in Sus… it reminds me of you because I know you’d like the place if I ever brought you there. We can visit it when we can find time to go to England together.”

Silence engulfs them, they can only hear Yeonjun’s cutlery clacking against the plate because he’s still eating.

“I think I heard of the place you’re talking about…” Taehyung says in a low voice, earning Jungkook’s attention back on him. “Is the place called Beachy Head?”

“You know it?”

“Jimin and I used to argue about the end of the world… and we Googled it and found a place that’s infamous for being called where you can see the end of the world. And it’s in Sus, England like you said, and is called Beachy Head.”

“Those Google photos don’t do it justice, I tell you Tae. You have to see it.”

“Then you have to take me there, as well as the museums you talked about last night.”

“I will.”

They finish their lunch and continue with grocery shopping. The cart has a seat for children and at first, Yeonjun doesn’t want to sit in it, but caves, when Jungkook tells him it’s so Taehyung, will not be bothered to carry him if he gets tired. Taehyung raises his eyebrows at that because he always knew Yeonjun is a good kid, but he puts up a fight when he doesn’t want to do something he’s asked to. He’s expecting Yeonjun to whine, but he obediently follows what Jungkook tells him without question.

As he’s about to follow Jungkook, he looks into the boy’s eyes, confusing Yeonjun for a second, but he really wants to know…

“Yeonjun, why are you so obedient today? If you were with me, alone in a grocery store, you’d whine at me whenever I attempt to put you in a cart.”

Yeonjun looks elsewhere and behind him as if checking whether Jungkook is close enough to hear them. Thankfully, the younger is looking into brands for a particular brand of mixed nuts Jin wants for the party.

“You know you can tell me anything, right baby?”

“W-well… I don’t want Jungkookie-hyungie upset because of me…”

“What do you mean?”

“I just don’t want Jungkookie-hyungie upset with me… I want him proud of me, not upset.”

Yeonjun is only four, maybe he thinks Taehyung will understand him even after saying something short to explain what he’s been up to. Taehyung hums, telling him he understands.

Anyone that is under Jungkook’s scrutiny will want to do well, at least that’s what Taehyung takes from Yeonjun’s answer. He remembers one night the younger picked him up to go home together. Jungkook, despite younger than any of the members of the A-Team, was respected and happily thanked for his encouragement. He knows just how much the younger can bring out the best in people.

Maybe, from Yeonjun’s perspective, knowing Jungkook and how amazing he is, of course, Yeonjun would want to be like him and for him to do that, one, he will have to be a good boy in front of him. Yeonjun has been following orders from Jungkook since day one, and he knows just how much the boy can do when he wants to impress someone, despite being only four years old.

He’s never seen Yeonjun act this way in front of Namjoon or Yoongi. Of course, he has good manners and respects everyone, but with Jungkook he seems to be on another level.

“So that’s why you’ve been behaving so well today? Because we’re with your Jungkookie-hyung and you want to impress him.” He concludes, and Yeonjun nods in confirmation.

Pushing the cart, he moves beside Jungkook, who currently has confusion written all over his face as he examines the snacks in his hands. It’s definitely the same thing, but different brand names and Jin wants the expensive one – of course, duh – but they’re the same, and Jungkook can’t understand what’s the difference

“Take what Jin-hyung wants. That one is sweeter.” Taehyung says helpfully.

“Sweet nuts? Who would want that?” he asks but puts the one Jin listed into the cart. “Why did he even ask me to buy snacks when there are a lot of the foods listed in the house already?”

“Now that you mention it… I thought nuts are banned in any Jeon household? Why are we taking one back home? Yeonjun is allergic to nuts as well.”

“He is?” Jungkook asks and looks at his nephew who’s reaching out for some cookies. “He is?” he repeats and Taehyung nods.

“He’s allergic to it. He ate chocolate with almonds when he was three, we almost choked it out of him when he started to breathe silly. Then we rushed him to the hospital and found out that he is allergic to it.”

“Who gave him the chocolates?”

“He picked it up on his own from Jimin’s box of chocolates which Yoongi-hyung gave him on Valentine’s Day.”

Jungkook looks ahead of him, not wanting to make Taehyung see the blush that creeps on his face at the mention of a particular day for lovers.

When they finish grocery shopping, Jungkook drives them back to the mansion with the same shuttle service car, only this time, Yeonjun is asleep. He started dozing off before they even finished paying for their shopping, and fell soundly asleep when Taehyung held him. Jungkook kept asking if he was okay carrying the sleeping angel, but Taehyung insisted that he’s the one who should be worried about Jungkook carrying all the grocery bags on his own.

Their ride back home is fun, until Jungkook starts driving one-handedly. Taehyung admits that Jungkook is attractive as in whatever occasion, but he’s not ready for the macho image of Jungkook driving one-handedly? He has seen him drive before, so what difference does it make seeing him drive now? It’s weird because the emotions inside him as he watches Jungkook after five years seem to grow bigger.

Or did he just miss him so much that to him it feels like it’s the first time again?

They find everyone in the garden where everything is set up already. Jin runs to Jungkook to ask if he got everything and even though the younger says yes, he quickly goes inside to check everything. Taehyung was still holding Yeonjun when Jungkook takes the child from him.

“Your arms will go numb if you hold him much longer. He’s a growing kid, you should’ve put him to bed as soon as we arrived.”

Jungkook moves to go back inside, and Taehyung follows suit. It’s true that he’s starting to feel the numbness, so he doesn’t protest.

As the younger is tucking Yeonjun into Somi’s bed, Taehyung watches him with so much adoration. Because Jungkook around his family is a very sweet man. He takes good care of everyone he cares about.

“You’re really good with kids, huh?” Taehyung walks closer, looking fondly at the sleeping angel before pushing away his bangs. “He likes you so much, Kookie…”

“You can tell?”

“It surprises me that you can’t tell at all.” He says, raising eyebrows at the younger who scratches his neck. “Not being able to see you for a long time doesn’t make him like you any less compared to us who were with him here… distance doesn’t matter that much if you really like a person.”

It takes a few seconds before Taehyung realizes what he just said and he turns to Jungkook who is already looking at him, he wants to say sorry immediately. But Jungkook smiles, so the apology is never uttered.

“I know that now… you and Yeonjun showed me that.”

“Then I’m happy you got to see it.” Taehyung reaches for Jungkook’s cheek, making the younger lean into his touch. “You are loved even when you’re miles and miles away from us, Kookie.”

The door flies open and Somi enters the room with Yeonjun’s bag. She is about to step out again once he sees the two, but Jungkook stops her, saying that they were just about to go out anyway.

“I’ll go look for something for me to do,” Taehyung says, and Jungkook only nods, letting Taehyung go.

“I’ll be in the living room with my grandparents if you need me.”

“Okay.”

--

Jungkook finds Saeron with Misun and Jihyun in the kitchen. At first, he is just observing, the girls were making a cake. He just can’t help but admire the view, because it shows that they’re all okay now and that’s all he ever wanted for his family. To be perfectly okay and happy and content.

The girls don’t see him for the first ten minutes, but once his presence is known, they drag him in to help.

“I can’t bake for , and you all know that.” His attempt to escape not only falls on deaf ears, but Jihyun’s and Misun’s grips are strong, so he concedes. “Okay fine, just tell me what to do.”

Once they are done though, Misun and Jihyun show themselves out, leaving him with Saeron. He hasn’t had the chance to talk to his best friend much since the day they arrived here, so maybe now is the right time to talk.

“How are you?” he asks, earning Saeron’s gaze on him. “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to show you around.”

“I already told you, it’s okay Jungkook. You have more important matters to attend to. Besides, I’m good, perfect even, so don’t start worrying about me now. I should be the one asking you that.” She stops putting flowers on the cake and takes a good look at her friend. “How are you Jungkook?”

Saeron stills for a moment as she watches Jungkook smile, looking somewhere that isn’t her face. Suddenly, she becomes aware that she is smiling as well, because finally – finally ­– the smile on Jungkook’s face is back.

“Oh , I finally get to see you smile for real…” she says in a teasing manner, making Jungkook glare at her. She chuckles. “Sorry, I’m just surprised. I mean, I’ve seen you smile before, but this smile is different. It’s a smile of genuine happiness and -  and I’m glad I finally get to see it, Jungkook. You don’t have to answer my question, I know you’re perfectly fine, and I’m happy it’s like that.”

“Thanks, Sae… thanks for everything –“

“Don’t even start with that Jeon.” Saeron points a flower at Jungkook as if that will threaten her friend, but then Jungkook takes the bloom into his mouth. “You’re making it sound like you’re about to tell me goodbye and I don’t want to hear it.”

“What? I’m not about to tell you goodbye, you stupid chipmunk.” He smacks her forehead, and the girl glares at him. “I just really want to thank you for everything. If you and mom gave up on me back then, I would’ve never made it back… and as I mulled over those thoughts, I realized that I almost left Taehyung alone. That I almost made him wait forever only to find out I’m –“

“Jungkook…” Saeron says softly, wanting to reach out for her best friend’s hand but doesn’t. Jungkook’s smile turned sad again.

“It’s just – imagine if I died then, Sae… Tae would’ve never –“

“But you didn’t.” Saeron presses, not able to stop herself from holding her friend’s face with her icing coated hands, making Jungkook grimace. “That’s everything we should be thankful for. You didn’t die, and you’re back here with Taehyung… that’s all that should matter now, Jungkook. Stop thinking about the past! Focus on what’s in front of you now. Please, I’m begging you.”

She starts to tear up, and Jungkook reaches out to hug her but stops when she pushes him away.

“You’re back where you wanted to be, Jungkook… and you’re back to make everything right. Don’t mess this up by looking back. You need to look forward. Besides, Taehyung thanked me already last night for being there for you.”

The heir is taken aback at hearing that, giving Saeron the chance to smack his forehead as revenge for hitting her earlier.

“He’s happy you’re back, Jungkook.”

“I… know that.”

The smile is back again.

“You are loved, Jeon. And you’re lucky to have Taehyung. He’s one hell of a great guy.”

“I know that too.”

“Good. So, do everything you can to win him back, you nutshell! Or else I’ll smack you down myself.”

Jungkook acts like he is hurt, but soon, he was hugging Saeron tightly. “Thanks, Sae… for being there with me all the way until today… you can just watch me now. I’m okay…”

“Is that your way of telling me that you don’t need me anymore?”

“No… it’s my way of telling you that I’m really okay now, Sae. So just watch me, okay? You’ve been so worried for me for so long, it’s time for me to make you proud now. And it’s time for you to focus on your own love life.”

Saeron smacks Jungkook’s back before she is released. “I’m watching you, okay? I’ll always be here for you, Jungkook.”

This time, Jungkook pats Saeron’s head affectionately. “I know you will… thanks, Sae.”

Little do they know that the scene makes Taehyung smile too before he makes his way out to where everyone is.

“The cake isn’t ready yet, mom.” He easily lies.

“What? But we’re done, Saeron should have finished putting the flowers on it already.” Jihyun frowns, leaving her seat to pass by Taehyung, only to stop abruptly once he sees Jungkook helping Saeron with the cake. “Taehyung said –“ she turns to her son only to find him smiling directly at Jungkook.

As soon as the cake is settled on the table, Jungkook is back beside Taehyung who’s still smiling brightly at him.

And Jihyun thinks to herself that maybe… maybe there’s still a chance after all.