12: Heartbeat

OUR PREDESTINED END

A/N: TaeKook in HEARTBEAT: But my heart's still on fire, with a burning desire. I'm going to find you again, like destiny.
--
And so that's how I decided for this chapter's title. <3 but seriously, Heartbeat fits this chapter so much. You'll know why as you read. ENJOY!

--

In my dream, he’s all I see.

And if my dream has him in it, I’ve always expected it to be a painful one that will wake me up at the wee hours of the night, sweating, catching my breath and crying.

It’s always been goodbye in my dream, him slipping away, his leaving back… God, I always hated that. Why can’t it be gone?

Why can’t it just disappear?

Isn’t it funny, though, that forgetting him was never an option for me to carry on with my life?

And maybe it’s because of that that I’m seeing another version of my dreams with him.

This dream is different.

“Hey Tae, let’s go pick up our kids! Didn’t we promise that we’ll take them out tonight to watch that Princess Movie they always whine about? Let’s go!”

“We got kids?”

Jungkook looks confusingly amused. “Of course, baby. We’ve got the twins. Now let’s go. Our children are waiting! We don’t want them pouting, right?”

This dream is different. Jungkook is looking at me. He’s smiling at me, and he’s holding my hand. He’s taking me somewhere with him instead of leaving on his own. He doesn’t have his back to me, he’s walking beside me.

What is this dream?

Why is it such a happy dream?

Is it okay to dream this happy dream?

Do I have this dream to show me how lucky I am?

Does God want me to be happy? Is that why he’s showing me this dream?

Is this some kind of illusion?

Because everything in this dream is everything I’ve always wanted to have with Jungkook.

Our future. Together.

Taehyung jolts awake, and as he opens his eyes, he is greeted by the sleeping face of the very man in his dreams. Jungkook stirs, and because the younger moves, he realizes that Jungkook’s arm is roamed around his waist.

He then realizes he’s crying.

And he doesn’t know why.

But the relief he felt when it was Jungkook’s face he saw right at the moment he woke up, was like… he came back from the dead.

He runs his fingers through the younger’s hair and watches as it detangles around them.

He’s back in my arms… my Jungkook. My Jeon Jungkook. So calm yourself down, Taehyung. He’s not going anywhere. He’s with you now… he’s back with you.

His ragged breathing starts to die down, and he calms entirely after a few minutes of just staring and touching Jungkook’s face.

He is about to move Jungkook’s arm off him, to maybe go the bathroom and take a breather, but the hold on his waist only tightens.

“Go back to sleep, Tae.”

And with that, Jungkook’s eyes slowly open, looking directly at him.

“When did you –“

“I’ve been awake since your hug got tighter. I was going to wake you up because you were crying in your sleep… but then you smiled.” Jungkook moves closer, tucking Taehyung protectively back in his arms. “So I thought that maybe, it’s not a bad dream you’re having this time. I don’t want to wake you if it’s making you smile like that.”

He feels a kiss drop on his head before Jungkook asks him a question. “Was I in the dream, Tae?”

It causes his tears to fall once again as he nods against Jungkook’s chest. “Hmm-mmm…”

“Was it a bad dream?”

“No… not this dream. It was somehow… pleasant.”

“Hmm… do you want to tell me about it?”

“It’s us… in the future, I guess?”

Jungkook moves a little away to take a look at Taehyung’s face. “What? Us in the future? What do you mean? Like kids or something? Have we adopted dogs? How about our house?”

Taehyung lets out a giggle before moving back to where he was buried against the younger’s chest before.

“We got twins.”

“TWINS?”

“Yeah… twins… it makes me want to get twins if we can, eventually.”

He starts to worry when Jungkook takes his time to respond, and this time it is Taehyung who moves back to see the younger’s face, but he is greeted by Jungkook’s confused look like he is thinking very carefully.

“What’s on your mind?” Jungkook doesn’t say anything. Instead, the younger continues looking at him with that face. “Yah, don’t be bothered by my dream. Don’t go thinking of ways to give me exactly what I’ve dreamt of and be troubled by it. I’m not asking you to –“

“No, I wasn’t thinking of that at all. I just – I remembered having the same dream…” but I couldn’t tell you when I had it.

It’s Taehyung’s turn to frown, more so when Jungkook looks away as if he’s trying to conceal something. “You had the same dream?”

“I – yeah… I think I did.”

Jungkook thinks he’s ed. He can’t tell Taehyung it was one that woke him from a near-death experience now, can he? He’ll worry, and he doesn’t want to add more things for Taehyung to worry about.

“But it’s not –“

“When? Was it while you were away?”

. “Yeah.”

“Tell me about it.”

“I can’t really remember. It’s been years –“ no, you’re lying. It’s been your most remembered dream and the most frequent dream you’ve been having. Jungkook scolds himself, but he just can’t tell Taehyung this part of his story. It’ll mess things up, and he’s not about to allow that to happen.

“I don’t care. Just tell me what you see in your dream.”

The heir looks at Taehyung and regrets it.

Taehyung’s eyes are curious. And he just can’t look away from those eyes.

He's unfair right now.

“Like yours… we got twins in my dream. No, it’s actually – I’m not sure if they’re twins. There are just two babies in this huge crib, and you’re looking at them lovingly while I stand by the door watching you, I was filming you…” he takes a deep breath before he continues. This has been something so painful for him. At least in the past, it’s been painful. “I –  when I woke up from that dream, my first thought was – I wish I had you there with me… I wish I got to see your face right beside me… and maybe, just maybe, my heart would stop hurting so much…”

“Why do you think your heart hurt so much when you woke up from that dream?” Taehyung tucks Jungkook’s hair behind his ear.

“Because it showed me what I’ve lost… it showed me the potential future I didn’t have. It showed me what I left behind.”

Taehyung stares lovingly at Jungkoo and caresses his cheek gently and it eases the younger a little bit.  The older moves closer and nuzzles his face in the junction between Jungkook’s neck and chest, making the heir feel like he’s being comforted. Like he’s being shielded from something that could probably hurt him.

“But having me here now means you’ve lost nothing, Kookie… maybe that dream showed you what you had to come back to…”

Jungkook stops breathing for a second because… just like that, Taehyung pushed all the negative thoughts out of his mind.

“I know, Tae. And I know that the present moment is the only moment available to us and it’s the door to all moments… that’s why I want to make myself better, so I can give you everything that makes you happy –“

“You’re a big part of what makes me happy, Jeon. Stop overthinking things.”

“I –“ he stutters and inhales when Taehyung kisses his collarbone.

“We should really stop overthinking stuff, Kookie. It’s not healthy.”

“Sorry…” Jungkook whispers.

“No. It’s fine. We’re in this together. We’ll be fine.”

And be fine it is that they will try to be.

--

Waking up in the morning seems to be an easy thing for Taehyung, especially when he’s being woken up by the person he’s been waiting for. It’s like nothing changed in their morning routine, you know? Jungkook rising before Taehyung to prepare breakfast and only then waking Taehyung up.

The only difference being that they’re both working adults, so Jungkook has to leave as early as Taehyung, if not, earlier, since he’s the boss and will have to attend different meetings every day.

“Wow… what are these?”

“Food I learned making when I was in England. Grandma and grandpa taught me how to make it so, now I’m serving it to you.”

“This drink looks yummy.” He takes a sip, eyes widening because the taste doesn’t disappoint. “What is this? I never thought the food in my fridge could give us this.”

“Well, thankfully, you had lots of strawberries and enough milk, so I managed to make you a strawberry milkshake. I put a little more strawberry syrup and adjusted the sweetness according to your liking. As for the French toast, I just simply put the egg on it, it’s nothing special. I hope you like it.”

Taehyung takes a bite while Jungkook pours himself a coffee.

“Oh wow… this is good,” Taehyung exclaims with appreciation. “You’re amazing, Kookie. Thank you for this.”

“My pleasure.”

Jungkook relaxes and thankfully starts on with his own meal. He’s glad the food he made pleases Taehyung enough for him to finish it all.

Then they brush their teeth together while trying to talk about their plans for the day before Jungkook leaves Taehyung to take his bath.

It’s the same morning routine he got used so long ago, and Taehyung can’t help but feel nostalgic.

Once they’re both done, Jungkook waits for Taehyung to lock his doors and accompany him to leave Yeontan with his neighbors.

“Who are they again?” he asks while parking the car in front of the neighbor’s house. Well, not really Taehyung’s neighbor. It’s a house situated beside the apartment building, but Taehyung calls them neighbors, and if Taehyung calls them neighbors, then they’re neighbors.

“They’re Mr. and Mrs. Seon. They’re really nice people. Mrs. Seon often gives me bread when I walk to our office. Then Yeontan took a liking to the couple, so now I have them regularly look after her when I’m in the office.”

“And that Baekhyun-hyung of yours?”

“Oh, well, Baekhyun-hyung takes care of Yeontan too, but when we left for the island, Grandma Seon was away to visit a very special person in Incheon.”

“Oh, there’s Mrs. Seon on her way home from her early grocery shopping! Come, I’ll introduce you!”

Jungkook can never say no to an enthusiastic Taehyung, and you can’t blame him. He gets out of the car, locking the doors before following behind Taehyung and Yeontan. The old lady seems to recognize him (Jungkook wishes she didn’t, but that’s clear recognition on her face, damn it) immediately smiles at him.

“Grandma Seon, this is Jeon Jungkook. He just came back from –“

“Yeontan’s Daddy?”

Jungkook snorts, earning him an elbow in the side. Taehyung blushes, but he easily brushes it off, as if it didn’t happen.

“As I was saying, he just came back from overseas after five years. Jungkook, this is Mrs. Seon. The one taking care of Yeontannie.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Mrs. Seon. Thank you for always taking care of Yeontan and… Taehyung.”

The old lady is still warmly smiling at Jungkook like she’s delighted to meet him. “I’m sure you are off to work but… would you like to have some tea before you leave?”

Taehyung looks at him expectantly. Well, he doesn’t have an early meeting so they can be late today.

“Sure, it’ll be our pleasure.”

The house is ordinary and old. The books are something Jungkook definitely likes about it. There are so many of them, it smells like books and – home. The house makes Jungkook feel like home.

He finds a picture frame of the couple with Taehyung and Yeontan which he thinks was taken a few years back because Yeontan still looks so tiny – not that he got bigger.

He settles beside Taehyung and waits for the tea.

“She knows me?”

“I used to tell them things about you… and well –“

“I never thought the day would come that I’ll finally see the love of Taehyung’s life, Jungkook-ssi.” Mrs. Seon says from the kitchen counter. “My husband and I always wished to meet you because your name alone brings a smile to Taehyung’s face.”

Jungkook turns to Taehyung who looks away and pretends to be busy tending to Yeontan. But Jungkook can still see the blush on Taehyung’s cheeks, and it makes him feel so happy.

“I just feel so sad that my husband passed away before he could meet you.”

That makes Jungkook turn his head back to face the old lady. She’s carefully setting the teacups and cookies down, telling them to help themselves. Only Taehyung digs in though because Jungkook waits for the old lady to continue.

“He adored Taehyung so much, you see. He loved his smiles, and Yeontan is a plus because my husband loved dogs. We used to have three before but stopped adopting once he started getting sick. He became sad because of that but then we met Taehyung at the park with Yeontan and they became best buddies since then.”

“I always found time to have a meal with them,” Taehyung speaks beside him, his tone suddenly sounds so sad, and Jungkook understands the sudden sadness in the older’s voice. “When it’s the weekends, I found time to drop by at least for one to two hours so Grandpa Seon could have his time with Tannie. Though there were times when I couldn’t drop by because of work, I always tried to come to see them at night after work. Because of that, I suggested I’d leave Yeontan with them while I go to work instead of leaving him with Jin-hyung or Jiminie.”

“He was so happy since then. I’ll always thank you for that, Taehyungie… you made him so happy –“

“Oh, please, Grandma Seon. It’s all I could do for him… I still feel sad when we talk about him.”

“I understand you well, dear. He was like a father to you.”

There’s silence for a while before Jungkook speaks up. “He seems like a really nice guy… sorry, I suddenly felt sad about not being able to meet him. I should’ve come back sooner so I could –“

“Oh, dear, please. There’s probably something that held you back so you couldn’t come back sooner, it’s fine. I’m sure wherever my husband is, he’s happy that Taehyung and Yeontan finally have you back. There’s someone to take care of them.”

“I still have you Grandma Seon, so why are you talking like you’re leaving tomorrow?” Taehyung jokes but the sad smile on her lips makes Taehyung feel more sad. “Are you leaving, Grandma Seon?”

“Yes, dear… my daughter wants me to live with her and her family in Incheon so she can look after me. In fact, I’ll be leaving tonight so…”

“I can’t leave Tannie here…” he concludes.

Mrs. Seon smiles sadly as he ruffles the dog’s head gently, who seems to understand what’s been said, making her ears droop low. Jungkook holds Taehyung’s hand and takes Yeontan’s leash.

“Don’t show me a sad face, Taehyung-dear. We’ll see each other again because surely, you’ll visit me there. Right?”

“We will visit Grandma Seon,” Jungkook says affectionately as he helps Taehyung up. “We’ll go now. I just want to say again that I regret not coming back sooner even more now… because I missed meeting your husband.”

“I’m sure my husband would have liked you as soon as I did, dear.” She sees Taehyung leaning his head against Jungkook’s shoulder. “Please look after him for me, and my husband, and continue making him smile… he doesn’t realize just how much those smiles of his can affect people.”

“I know that all too well and thank you again for taking care of them, Mrs. Seon. I thank your husband as well… can I get your number? So I can ask you for details later, I’m sure Tae is just a little shocked that you’re leaving so soon, but I’m sure he won’t want to waste any time in going to visit you, and I need to be prepared.”

Mrs. Seon laughs at that, even more, when Taehyung hits Jungkook’s back a little hard making the younger wince.

“You two are so adorable together… no wonder Taehyung boasted about you with my husband, always saying how amazing you are and how much he loves you.”

Jungkook’s hand freezes, and he can feel Taehyung tightening his hold on his waist.

“He said that you were studying hard in Canada and then in England so you can take over your family’s company. He’s so proud of you. He kept saying that by the time you get back, he’d be the one to kneel down and ask for your hand in marriage so you won’t be able to leave again –“

“Okay Mrs. Seon, it’s time for us to go.” Taehyung suddenly perks up behind Jungkook who’s now looking at him with a silly expression on his face. “What time do you leave tonight, Grandma Seon?” he asks, ignoring Jungkook’s stare.

“Oh, around 8pm. Why?”

“Great! I’ll see you then. I’ll leave work early so I can help you pack.”

“That’ll be really sweet of you, dear. But my daughter is coming over around lunchtime to help me pack. There’s really no need for you to do that.”

“But I would very much like to see you off, Grandma Seon. So please, let me see you off, okay?”

“I’ll accompany him as well,” Jungkook adds, still looking at Taehyung. “I’ll be driving him home after all.”

“Then if you insist… I’ll see you both later.”

Once they’re back in the car, neither of them dare say a word. Jungkook wants to confront Taehyung about what Mrs. Seon had said, but he can’t though, it made him happy.

He decides to talk about other things to make it less awkward. “So, where are we leaving Yeontan? You can’t take her with you to your office. You’re in the middle of a war there. She might accidentally drink ink or something.”

“Let’s take her back to our dads then… I can’t leave her on her own.”

“Roger.”

Jungkook turns the car around in the direction of the mansion.

--

“Taehyung-ssi, we are being called for an emergency meeting by Namjoon-ssi,” Saeron says as soon as he steps into the office. Jungkook only kissed him goodbye in the elevator as he didn’t let the younger walk him to his office. “The project sponsor in Gangnam arrived fifteen minutes ago and is wishing to see us all.”

“What?” Taehyung looks at Saeron, confused. “Why is he here? Do they want to change something again?”

“No… but I think Jungkook did something for us to be called this early.” Saeron looks around the Gangnam Project Team, they all look scared and Taehyung gulps in nervousness upon hearing the possibility that Jungkook did something. “We wouldn’t be called for an emergency meeting unless the higher-ups demand it.”

“I understand. What time do we leave?”

“Meeting starts at 9:30 in the DTO room on the 27th floor.”

That’s on Jungkook’s floor. “Why there of all places?”

“Namjoon says there’s a scheduled meeting at 10am with Jungkook and the rest of the Project Steering Committee, so it’ll be best to use the same room for our meeting.”

Taehyung wants to scream but doesn’t. What did Jungkook do? What did he do for them to be called this early for a meeting? The younger didn’t tell him anything and it makes him worry.

“I’ll meet you in front of the elevator in ten minutes. I’ll just go get ready.”

The team nods in agreement and Taehyung moves into his office to get ready. He needs to calm down. He can trust Jungkook not to have done something bad like drop the project. Knowing Jungkook, he probably planned to scare the Project Sponsor off a little.

Yes, it’s Jungkook. He won’t do anything stupid like drop the project… would he?

On their way to the 27th floor, it is quiet. The team doesn’t want to talk when they haven’t even had their morning coffee. And changes in their project is killing them already – they hope it’s not more of the same at least.

They reach Jungkook’s floor and is greeted by Yuju at the front desk. She leads them to the DTO room for which she holds the key. Jungkook’s office door is open, and he can see Namjoon inside. Jungkook, as if feeling his presence, looks up and smiles at him. He tries to smile back, but he doesn’t want to worry the heir.

“Oh, you are early.” Namjoon greets him. “Did Yuju open the DTO room already?”

“She’s on her way there. What’s this meeting about, hyung?” Taehyung can’t help but ask. “My team members are nervous about it.”

“You shouldn’t be. It’ll be fine.” Namjoon gives a dimply smile before pushing Taehyung out of Jungkook’s office. “Now, wait for me in the DTO room, okay? I’m just discussing something with the Boss.”

Jungkook only smiles while looking at the papers in his hands. He’s busy again today, Taehyung thinks.

“I’ll get going.”

“Yeah, I’ll see you later,” Jungkook says, not tearing his eyes away from the papers, so Taehyung just leaves. “And Tae?” that halts Taehyung’s steps and he faces the younger again. “You’re doing well, Baby. You didn’t do anything wrong. You should know that.”

Taehyung only nods, thankful to hear that from Jungkook, otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to calm down.

It is tense even before it starts. Taehyung can feel the infuriating gaze coming from the project sponsor, he doesn't dare look up and pretends to be reviewing something on their team design.

This meeting can only mean two things, either the project sponsor wants to change some detail again, or there’s something about the project timeline that needs to be discussed. They are expecting better results out of this, but Taehyung is just afraid that there'll be another revision and they're so way off the schedule already to even consider any more changes now. There are other pending internal projects to be done, but they are stuck with this one project just because Jongwan asked for it to be prioritized. The other team will take over the internal projects that were initially assigned to the A-Team if this continues. Not that he doesn't want others to work on it, but these domestic jobs are usually assigned to the A-Team, and the other team already has too much on their plate as well. That'll be a hassle turn-over.

"Okay. We can start." Namjoon taps his fingers on the table, putting the documents down and looking around to meet everyone's eyes as soon as he came in. "First, sorry for the short notice. I know most of you are surprised by this sudden meeting, so early in the morning too, but — we were asked to take action regarding this project by the PSC. Meaning, the CEO heard about the issues already.” Namjoon sighs, opening his laptop to review the project status reports submitted to him by Taehyung himself every week. “The issues were raised to him for monitoring purposes and he was surprised by the delay of the project just because of the revisions of designs which were INITIALLY accepted when it was proposed during the first steering committee meeting."

Taehyung thinks that it's coming.

"I guess it's safe to say the CEO, Jungkook, is not very pleased with the delays," Namjoon says carefully. The project sponsor is ready to say something but is cut off by Namjoom. "I honestly am not very pleased myself. The A-Team was assigned to this project which deprioritized other internal projects, and unfortunately, it's causing JGC delays with everything. Jungkook says that if you do not push through with the original and signed project plan and designs, we will drop this project and cut the partnership."

There are collective gasps in the room. Taehyung abruptly stands eyes Namjoon inquisitively to which the other tells him to calm down and take a seat. Something he does after a few seconds of contemplation because – did Jungkook really do that?

"All he's saying is, you approved of the first design our team submitted to you with all the signatories and the authorities from both your and our side. The late request to revise the designs is causing both parties trouble, and it's mostly on our side, so if we continue like this, we might as well drop this project so we can continue with our original internal planning."

No one says a word after Namjoon's speech, so he continues. "This project has been prioritized because my uncle is a good friend of your company's boss. But you have to know that just because you are prioritized doesn't mean you can make these kinds of demands as you please. We have a timeline to follow, deadlines to adhere to, anything beyond that is a reflection of failure. Our A-Team should be working on other projects as we speak, but they are working this project at my uncle’s request, and frankly, it’s becoming a liability we can ill afford. Any further delays will make the project economically unviable, and company resources could be put to better use elsewhere."

It remains silent, and when Namjoon thinks no one will say a word, he taps his fingers on the table and turns to the A-Team. “What’s on your minds?” he asks, seeing how stupefied the members’ faces are including Taehyung’s. “Surprised by the CEO’s input?”

“No… actually, I was expecting something from him when he heard about the delays we’re going through on this project,” Taehyung says first, with s nodding in agreement. “We never went through delays before, this is the first so… he must’ve been alarmed.”

“He is. Very much so. Well, he’s more worried than alarmed. His focus may be widespread, but I can assure you he can see everything from his office.” Namjoon says, and everyone agrees. Jungkook himself told Taehyung that. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s just managing the situation before it reaches a crisis level. Something none of us want, so I hope no one finds this to be threatening or favoring sides.”

The project sponsor still doesn’t look happy, but he agrees with everything Namjoon said about the designs that were approved the first time it was presented to the board.

Taehyung sighs in relief because at least, the project will finally move forward. They were closing the meeting when Yoongi peeks his head inside the room.

“You done here? Jungkookie told me you’re here.”

“Yes, I fixed something.”

Yoongi welcomes himself and sits on one of the swivel chairs, not minding everyone’s presence at all. “Hey, Tae. Problem solved?”

Taehyung nods, smiling at his hyung. “Thanks to that cousin of yours, it is solved.”

Yoongi only smiles, because of course, he’s aware of what’s happening. “Speaking of the devil himself.”

The project sponsor stops in front of the door, greeting Jungkook who only gives him a nod before entering the DTO Room. After placing down his laptop, he goes out again and shows the project sponsor to his office to maybe talk there.

“Where are they –“

“They will surely apologize to him. After all, Uncle Jongwan was informed about everything that has happened.”

“Jongwan-ssi knows?!” Now, this is something Taehyung hasn’t heard about.

“Jungkook probably asked for his father’s advice regarding his decision about this and given the fact that we came to this, means Uncle gave his son the privilege to drop it if it’s really becoming a show stopper for us.” Yoongi plays with his pen before eyeing the entire A-Team with his stoic face. “Of course Jungkook gave Namjoon his input first before confiding with Uncle. His reason being that he’s already the CEO, it’s his call. Thankfully, it was accepted by Uncle. He also says sorry, by the way.”

“Because it somehow messed up your entire schedule,” Namjoon says apologetically. “You don’t have to worry about that anymore though. Jungkook’s got you so for now, you can relax with this project. You don’t have to work overtime.”

“Thanks, boss!” The A-team smiles victoriously before they make their exit, leaving Taehyung behind.

“I know I should be thanking you… but this really surprised me, and I can’t seem to feel happy about it,” he says truthfully, making the cousins chuckle. “I’m serious, hyungs. This doesn’t make me happy at all.”

“It doesn’t make all of us happy, Tae. So don’t worry.” Namjoon connects his laptop to the projector because he has a presentation to do. “But it pushes everything back in order, so I guess it helps too.”

“Well, if you’re not happy about it, you can complain to Jungkook. He did all the work, after all.”

The members of the Project Steering Committee enter one by one, it makes Taehyung pack his things and leave. He slows down his pace when passing through Jungkook’s office, but it is closed this time, meaning he’s still not done talking with the project sponsor.

He wants to talk to the younger about what happened and maybe scold him a little bit for giving him an easy way out again, but time won’t let them this morning, and he gives up for now.

--

“Have you heard about the possible partnership between the Parks and the Jeons?”

Taehyung just stepped out of his office to grab some lunch with Jin and Jimin. He told Jungkook about his plans and the probability of coming back late since Jin will be calling people for his wedding and they have to help with that. Anyway, back to what he just heard from the members of A-Team, he walks closer to them to maybe listen better because if it’s another partnership, then Jungkook is doing well and he hasn’t even been back for a month.

“I heard the heir of the Park family took over a year ago, that means he’s about the same age as our Jungkook-ssi. But when I confirmed it from the Advertising Department, he’s older than our boss by a few years.”

“I think he’s the same age as Namjoon-ssi’s boyfriend.”

“Yah, it’s fiancé! Jin-ssi is Namjoon-ssi’s fiancé!”

“Oh yeah, crap I forgot it was announced!”

“Anyway, back to the topic, what was the name of the CEO of the Park’s Company? Was it Park Chanyeol?”

Baekhyun-hyung’s boyfriend?

He stops right behind his colleagues and listens. As far as he can recall, there’s only one person he knows to be the CEO of the Park Empire, and it’s Park Chanyeol, Byun Baekhyun’s boyfriend. But just like the Jeons, Parks didn’t settle only with their steelworks, they also own bars, restaurants and even started with bakeries as per Baekhyun’s request. Baekhyun loves eating and Chanyeol knows how to cook really well, the very reason why he took the risk of investing in the restaurant and bakery business was because of Baekhyun, and it's bringing them a fortune now. As of today, the Park’s renowned Bakeries are the leading bakery business in Korea – well that’s to be expected. They have Do Kyungsoo as their number one Chef who cooks and bakes at the same time. He’s just that good.

But to think Jungkook is possibly opening a partnership with them? Did the younger know about Baekhyun’s boyfriend?

“Oh, Boss Tae! You’re here!” Sungjong exclaimed. “We’re not slacking. We’re just –“

“No, please do tell me more about that. What’s with this Park and Jeon partnership?”

“Oh, you haven’t heard already? Park Chanyeol was seen visiting Kim Namjoon’s office today right after the PSC meeting on the 27th floor. I heard the Park’s heir wanted to schedule a meeting with our heir for a possible partnership. I also heard that the Parks meant to be in contact with JGC, but due to the sudden departure of the heir himself of the Jeon family, they postponed the partnership.”

“But after hearing that Jeon Jungkook is back and taking over, the partnership is up for negotiation again. I heard Park Chanyeol wants to seal the deal they planned for five years ago.”

“Oh…” he’s was taking his phone from his pocket when it suddenly starts ringing. Seeing who the caller is, he excuses himself from the crowd, after telling them to get back to work or maybe get some lunch given that it’s almost lunchtime anyway. “Baekhyun-hyung, what the heck is happening? I just heard about the sudden partnership between –“

“Your CEO and my CEO? I only heard it just now too from Chanyeol.” Baekhyun cuts him off, and he can hear Chanyeol apologizing from the background. “I was shook! I can’t believe this is happening.”

“Why do you sound like this is a bad thing?”

“Well, it is going to turn bad if that CEO of yours don’t attend to my CEO, Taehyung. Chanyeol could only meet up with Namjoon through Jin and we’re running out of connections just to get a meeting with your CEO. But alas! Your CEO is way too busy to attend to other business aside from what’s been scheduled for him for like what? The whole year? Geez, Tae. Does he still get to see you or –“

“Hey, Baekhyun, stop it. Tae, hey. It’s Chanyeol.”

“Oh, hey hyung… sorry I don’t quite get it. Can you explain further?”

He hears the older sigh on the other end of the line before he speaks up. “ Sorry for calling you, but you’re the last resort we have on our list to help us get close to your CEO. But don’t be bothered by Baek, Tae. I actually have Namjoon talking to Jungkook for me regarding this matter. It’s just, my father has meant to be in a partnership with the Jeons. But after what happened five years ago, my dad respected the privacy their family demanded from the public, so no partnership was entertained or renewed because of that. JGC officially closed all their doors to partnerships, including ours even when it was verbally agreed to already by the previous JGC CEO and my dad. Well…. I just feel like now is the right time to get on with the partnership. But Jungkook-ssi is busy enough as it is, he only just took over the seat. I’d like to give him more time to attend to other business, but I just heard he’s booked for the whole year and wouldn’t be able to focus on other things aside from internal affairs. So yeah… I just really want to get on with this with him, Tae. That’s all. I don’t want you to overthink about it. Maybe Jungkook-ssi will be free some other time and I’ll get my chance.”

Taehyung already thought as Chanyeol made his speech. It’s true, Jungkook has enough on his plate already. He wouldn’t be able to attend to other things because the heir is probably giving his entire focus to JGC’s internal affairs instead of the external for now. He’s taking it one at a time, and he has the most trusted people to lead JGC with him to handle the external affairs, so he can take it easy on that front. But Chanyeol’s proposal shouldn’t be ignored either, especially given the fact that the Jeons are planning to build more hotels outside of Korea. It would be a mutually beneficial move for both companies.

“Hyung,” Taehyung speaks after a few seconds of silence. “I’ll be able to give you the opportunity if you can arrange to meet us in your Elyxion bar. I think now is the right time for that fake anniversary party Baekyun-hyung has been talking about.”

“What?”

“What is Tae saying, Channie?”

“Something about the fake anniversary –“

Chanyeol’s voice becomes inaudible, and soon, he can hear Baekhyun again. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying, Kim Taehyung?”

“Yes, Hyung. I think this will be a great opportunity between your CEO and my CEO so… let’s do it like this…”

“I’m listening.”

--

By the time Taehyung arrives at the restaurant, Jin arranged for him to, his two friends have already ordered their food and are perusing magazines about weddings.

“Oh Tae, you’re here. Come see this quick!” Taehyung is pulled to sit down beside Jin and a paper is quickly pushed in front of him. “Here’s the list of countries that allow same- marriage. So far I have Norway in mind because Namjoon and I have been there and it was so pretty, Tae.” Jin says dreamily as he continues scanning through the magazine.

“How do you want it, hyung? Of course, it’ll be grand, that’s already expected given it’ll be in Norway but – will it be a church wedding, garden wedding, beach wedding or –“

“He said he wants it to be a garden wedding.” Jimin interrupts, opening another magazine for him to browse. “I can’t believe we’re doing this in broad daylight when we’re busy with the entertainment industry that is soon to rise under my and Hobi-hyung’s name.”

“Yah, you better behave. We all know where your money is coming from.” Jin threatens Jimin who gives him a smug face. “The funds to start that entertainment business will come solely from JGC.”

“Unfortunately for you, my Yoongi is as rich as your Namjoon-hyung, so I don’t really owe you anything. And Yoongi belongs to JGC too and is one of the heirs of it.” Jimin rebuts teasingly.

“Yah, still, as one of the future producers you better behave, Jimin.

“You two better shut up,” Taehyung says, slightly bored. He didn’t come to hear this. “We both know that everyone will benefit from that project, so shut it. Besides, isn’t that only next year? They’re busy with other things.”

The two stay quiet but not actually halting the teasing. The truth is, Jimin and Hoseok will be the primary source of funding for their entertainment business, they just got JGC and Jin’s company as back-ups. And, they are fully aware that if there is anyone here who can boast about rich boyfriends, it’s Taehyung (though they’re not sure if the two really did get back together yet). Taehyung puts down the magazine and looks at Jin with the same bored expression. “So, when do you plan to do this?”

Jin blinks at him, and soon Jimin and Taehyung can only smile as they look at an utter love-struck Jin.

“I want it in December… Christmas season. It’ll be hell to schedule considering we’re all the way over here in Korea while the venue I want is all the way over there in Norway… and maybe we should visit Santa land in Finland afterward.”

“We can’t be in your way, hyung.” Taehyung halts the older who pouts cutely upon hearing that from Taehyung. “We can’t stay with you there for so long because you’ll be spending your honeymoon there, surely. And I bet Namjoon-hyung would like to go visit the places you want to with you alone. Not with everybody towing behind.”

Jin is about to say something, but Taehyung’s phone starts ringing, and he picks it up with a smile upon seeing the Caller-ID.

“Hey. What’s up? I did tell you I’ll be out with Jin-hyung and Chim.”

“Yeah, but I read the message late so now I’m calling you. We are heading out for another meeting with some investor that wishes to see me. It’ll be a lunch meeting so I’ll be out until 2pm.”

“I know, you did ask Yuju to send me your schedule every day, so I won’t worry,” Taehyung says, smiling more when Jungkook stutters at the other end of the line.

Jin and Jimin look at each other. They’re okay seeing Taehyung like this, but it’s been a while so, it kind of catches them off guard.

“Should I come to pick you up there? My luncheon meeting ends at 2pm at the latest.”

“Sure, I think it’s going to rain.” He says, looking outside. “I’ll send you the location after this call ends.”

“Alright. Is Donghyun with you?”

“Yeah, he drove me here. Should I tell him to go back?”

“No, don’t. Not until I arrived, just in case.”

“Alright, I won’t.” He can hear Yuju calling Jungkook, and it’s his cue to let the younger go. The thought makes him sad, but he still does it. “I’ll hang up now Kookie. I’ll send you the location of this restaurant and will not tell Donghyun to go until you’re here. Is that all?”

He heard a soft chuckle from Jungkook accompanied by the sound of the elevator arriving. “Yeah, that’s all. Keep safe, okay?”

“I will.” Once he hangs up, teasing gazes are directed at him courtesy of his friends, and he can’t help but look away because he hates confrontation. He doesn’t want to talk about this now. He’s not sure of it himself, there are things he still doesn’t understand and is sometimes afraid to understand, and he doesn’t want to do it with anyone but Jungkook. It’s their issues to solve, not for anyone else to know or discuss.

“Can we ask you something, Tae? Only if it’s okay with you.” Jin carefully asks, picking up his drink because their food arrived while Tae was on the phone with Jungkook. When Taehyung sighs, giving up because he knows, more or less, what the two are about to ask, he just reaches for his own drink and allows them to.

“Are you back together?” Jimin shoots the question Taehyung was expecting.

“No, we’re not.” He says in a jiffy, looking away for a second to look at the food on their table. “But we’re doing things slowly, starting things from scratch and we’re doing well so far. We, um, talked about our issues and we’re trying to solve them together… we’re also, uh… trying to be as open as we can unlike before. We had our walls high up even though we were together, but now, it’s different… so please, don’t worry about us anymore.”

“We’re not about to meddle in your relationship again, Tae. It’s your call. It’s yours.” Jin says comforting Taehyung as he does so. “Hearing you talk about it with us with so much confidence somehow makes us believe that you’re doing things right this time. It puts us at ease.”

“But do tell us if you ever need someone to talk to other than Jungkook, okay? Otherwise, we’ll worry. You know Jin-hyung and me.” Jimin adds.

“I know. Thanks, guys. I already owe you so much…”

“Yah, we owe you as much, Tae. The only thing we can do now is to support you and Jungkook. Whatever it takes.”

Taehyung smiles at his friends gratefully. He really feels safe with them though sometimes they can be a pain, he knows he can never find anyone else who can understand him like they do.

“I’m just really scared right now because –“ he trails off, puts his palms together to control the trembling of it. “ – I feel like I want to lock him up somewhere just so he won’t leave me again despite all the assurances he gives me… my feelings for him are twice as much as I used to have for him before and it’s… it’s starting to scare me.”

The two don’t say anything, just continue staring at Taehyung as he gathers his thoughts and pours it all out. They’re sure Taehyung needs somebody he can tell these sorts of things to.

“Compared to what we had before, this time, there’s only our fear of the second chance that is keeping us from each other, at least that’s how I see it. It’s all on us this time, whatever happens between us. We accepted things as they were in the past and are happy with the outcome, but it left us in two different places and – and it’s as if we’re looking at each other with such distance between us, hyungs… we’re too scared to take a step forward because what if we mess up again? But when he held me in his arms – so sure of his decisions yet so scared at the same time – I put everything down and held him as tight because I can’t lie to myself anymore… I just really want him back, and I’m going to do everything – everything, hyung… just to keep him here with me.”

Jin and Jimin are left to their own thoughts after that. They don’t say anything, something Taehyung is thankful for because he doesn’t want the conversation to continue. One thing is for sure. Jin and Jimin understand the situation differently.

One sees it as something natural, and one sees it as something that is on the way to a tragic end once again.

--

It is nearing 2 o’clock when a commotion at the entrance to the restaurant happens. The trio doesn’t look up at first, but when girls started to squeal and fangirl over someone, they all finally tear their gazes away from the materials they are reviewing.

The head chef and the owner of the restaurant are out of their offices to come to greet Jeon Jungkook. The heir arrived with Yuju and his cousins so – that caused the commotion.

The cousins are all looking at their phones, maybe to try and call them to ask where they are. They’re at the far end, so it’s hard to spot them as soon as you enter the place.

Their phones all start ringing at the same time, and the three cousins turn their heads right at the same time to where they are.

“Oh, we found them,” Namjoon says, waving at Jin.

Jungkook though, walks over as soon as he sees Taehyung, without even greeting the head chef and the owner who came out to greet them. Namjoon does thank them for welcoming them though, even if they really don’t have to.

“Hey.” Taehyung is still looking at the heir as if he suddenly has horns on his head. He sits beside Taehyung who slowly scoots over to give him space to sit, looking worn out compared to what his state was when he saw him in the morning. “You finalized something?” he asks Jin directly.

“Nah, it’ll be a long time before I finalize something but – we’re going to Norway, so you better be ready.” He looks at Jungkook with threatening eyes as if he thinks that Jungkook will leave again.

“I’m not about to go anywhere, hyung.” He picks up a magazine – more like Norway’s tourist guide magazine – and looks into it. “Are we going to stay in our hotel there?”

Taehyung perks his head up to that and looks at Jungkook. “We have a hotel there?”

Jungkook shrugs and points at Namjoon who just sat down beside Jin. “Namjoon-hyung is the one in charge when it comes to building hotels outside Korea. He somewhat got it from our grandfather. When they see a place as something perfect to build one of our hotels, we’ll take the risk and do it. Grandpa always supports Namjoon-hyung with all those impulsive decisions, but it works so… yeah. It’s worth the risk.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t know that we have hotels outside Korea, Tae,” Yoongi says from beside Jimin.

“I do know we have hotels outside Korea but –“

“Oh, I just remembered you’re into internal projects. Well, now that you’re the head of the design department, considering the fact that we are once again going according to what Namjoon is planning, you’ll be able to design your first JGC hotel outside Korean borders.”

Namjoon’s eyes suddenly sparkle from excitement. “Oh, yes! I just remembered! Tae, you’ll be working with me on that project outside Korea.”

“What –“

“It’s in Malta this time, right hyung? I read your proposal this morning.”

This morning? Is that what Namjoon-hyung was discussing with Jungkook early this morning in his office?

“WAIT, DAMN IT.” Taehyung bursts out, earning the cousins attention because he, again, hasn’t heard about any of this. “I haven’t heard anything about this plan of building a hotel in Malta yet. Where was I when this is discussed?”

“Namjoon-hyung has been planning for it for a while but we’ve discussed the project plan for it already just this morning after he finalized it with Auntie.” Jungkook says beside him, fingers massaging his elbow to maybe try and calm him down. “Baby, It’s on you now. Internal and Externals, it’s on you now. The external team for designing the hotels outside Korea is only present when there’s a hotel to build outside the country. Auntie did discuss this with you, at least?”

“I mean yeah but I haven’t even met the team for external affairs… there was no hotel built outside Korea for the last five years so there’s no way for me to know who they are. She said she’ll introduce me when it’s due so… maybe this time I’ll get to meet them? Considering we’re talking about building a hotel in Malta?”

“You’re looking at them now.” Jungkook smiles at him, and Taehyung just looks more confused, so he clarifies. “Namjoon-hyung, Yoongi-hyung, Grandpa, Aunt Jihyo and I – we are the team that handles the designs for the hotels outside of Korea.”

“Holy … Oh my gosh – why haven’t I heard of this?”

“Because this team doesn’t regularly assemble like your usual teams in the design department. We only get together when we have a hotel to build outside of Korea.” Namjoon explains, taking the first sip from his coffee. 

“Considering you’re the head of the design department now, it’s only natural for you to join us,” Yoongi adds. “It’ll be an awesome hotel with your and Jungkook’s designs combined, just saying.”

Taehyung is still in a daze when Jungkook tucks him safely against his seat in the younger’s car. They’re on their way back to the office, and he can’t wait because he has to review every hotel outside Korea.

He knew about the ones in Canada, London, Japan, Paris, New York, and Isla Perdida (which he’s visited), but he is yet to review any of the designs for those hotels because he’s focused on designing hotels inside Korea, and it’s not like Jihyo informed him about their foreign hotels. They were both focused with the hotels inside their country because just as he said, no hotel was built outside Korea for the last five years.

He always thought that the hotels outside Korea were designed by contractors from those places whom JGC paid, wow, is he wrong. To even think that the very designers of those hotels are the Jeons themselves – wow.

“Are you okay?” he tears his gaze away from watching the raindrops against the window. “I’ll ask Auntie why she didn’t tell you about it. I’m sorry, Tae. I didn’t mean to tell you all this and put more pressure on you.”

“But it is what it is, so we have to deal with it now. Like your cousins said, it’s natural for the design department head to be part of the external teams as well.” Taehyung smiles. He doesn’t see it as pressure. To be honest, he’s excited just knowing that he’ll be able to design a JGC hotel outside Korea. “Don’t worry about me. I’m thinking of it as an opportunity for me and my designs to grow.”

“I’m glad you see it as something positive Tae. You know I hate making you feel pressured.”

“This isn’t something you should be worrying about.” He removed his seatbelt and steps out of the heir’s car, waiting to walk beside him back into the office building. “Oh, I have things to discuss with you. Is it okay for me to go to your office after your meeting at 3pm?”

Jungkook gives him an inquiring look, but the elevator arrives. “I don’t mind. You can drop by any time.”

“But you know Tae…” Jungkook holds him back and the elevator door closes again. “I’ve always admired how you draw. I always like how you are so very in tune with what clients like and want... and that being your style for me is amazing. It’s not easy to accomplish, but for you, it’s your natural talent.  Thank you for coming to JGC and affording us the opportunity to work with you… your designs have made everything around me so warm, you know? And I bet people in JGC feel the same way I do. So, never feel insecure about what you can do with these hands…” he turns the older around and kisses the insides of his palms, “because we both know you can do anything. I know you’ve heard me say this before, but I’m telling you again… you’re doing great, Tae. You love what you do, and you’re happy… It shows.”

 “Thank you…” Taehyung’s hands stop trembling, something he only realized when Jungkook held them. He’s been shaky since they left the restaurant. He’s been overthinking things again. But here’s Jungkook telling him precisely what he wanted to hear, even without asking. Here’s Jungkook reassuring him. “I needed that…”

He’s the one Taehyung has always needed beside him the most when he feels the world is being harsh. The one who is stronger to push him forward, to guide him, and catch him when he falls. At this moment, more than ever, he is grateful to have Jungkook back.

“Thank you, Jungkook… for everything.”

“I should be the one thanking you Tae, but okay…”

They step inside the elevator this time when it comes, with smiles on their faces.

--

“Oh, Hoseok-ssi?”

The male turns around to find Saeron with Jihoon and some other people from Jungkook’s company. He waves to all of them as a greeting and then meets Saeron’s eyes.

“Hey. What are you guys doing here? Lunch out? Where is Tae?”

“Oh, he is probably with Jin-ssi and Jimin-ssi. I heard they’re going to start organizing some stuff regarding the wedding. We’re here for lunch. What about you?”

“Why didn’t they invite me?!”

Hoseok wants to whine some more to maybe joke around until he notices three guys from the table near the entrance. They’re looking at Saeron, taking pictures of her too. And damn, he can hear them saying how she’s a hot chick and how cute she is, that maybe they should approach her and get her number.

Saeron pushes him to the front, cutting off his reverie because it’s his turn to order, but he ends up glaring at the girl in front of him.

“Hoseok-ssi, it’s your turn. You’re –“

He stops her from lending Jihoon money after seeing that she took out some cash from her wallet.  “I’ll pay for everyone so just tell me what you would like to have. And stand in front of me, Sae.”

“What –“

“Just stand in front of me, Saeron.”

She does so and fast at that. She doesn’t know why, but the hold on her thin waist is tight and commanding, leaving her with no choice.

The team is fast in relaying their orders to the cashier, leaving Saeron with Hoseok to wait for their completed orders near the counter. She’s fidgeting because for some reason she seemed to have made Hoseok mad, but – the older wouldn’t get mad over something she doesn’t know she’s done, right?

It’s just the glare, you know? Hoseok really glared at her, and she was caught off guard. Not to mention, his hands are still on her waist while they wait. Like he’s trying to tell someone off by –

That’s when she realizes and looks around but… there’s no one. They’re in a family diner so there are more families and really no one seems suspicious so… why is Hoseok acting the way he is?

When they finally get their food, they ask the crew to help them bring their trays to their tables. When they reach their party, they realize that Jihoon and the rest of the team saved a table for two, for them. She secretly kicks Jihoon, earning a yelp from the younger but she doesn’t care.

She silently sits in front of Hoseok, who’s busy with his phone. She’s about to start eating when she notices that Hoseok is looking at her.

“What? Is there something on my face?”

“Do you always dress up like that?”

“What? What’s wrong with my outfit?”

“It’s… too revealing.”

She looks at herself. This is revealing for Hoseok?

Well, she is indeed wearing a sleeveless top, but she’s covered with her coat. It’s paired up with her skirt that goes three inches above the knee… is this revealing for Hoseok?

“I know you grew up in a place that isn’t at all conservative but – can you refrain from wearing this kinds of clothes? It’s kind of… well, uncomfortable for me. Doesn’t Jungkook tell you off when you dress up like this? I mean –“

“It’s okay if I’m with Jungkook because people think right away that we’re a couple but I… I just don’t see why any of this bothers you, Hoseok-ssi? Not that I mind.”

She bites into her hamburger while still looking at Hoseok, who is looking at her with dark eyes, the sunshine gone out of them. Once again, she’s confused by the man’s expression which that turns darker than it already was.

“Well this is Korea and that friend of mine is no longer always beside you because he’s a busy man and he’s with Taehyung. So for you to still dress up like this is –“

“Hoseok-ssi, can you calm down for a sec? Because honestly, I’m okay. What has you on the edge of your seat?” she chuckles but the older doesn’t even crack a smile. “Okay, I give up. Let’s just eat. You’re scary when you’re so serious. Can you please smile for the sake of my heart? I can’t deal with you like…” she trails off when he smiles. The same smile she’s used to seeing. “…this”

“Sorry. I got really protective there, huh?”

“I… yeah… but it’s okay. I don’t mind –“

“You see, I’m as protective with my sister. I always tell her off when she dresses way too revealing. It’s kind of, well, become a habit to tell girls off because of it... Especially when they’re important to me… Sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. I was just surprised –“ again, she trails off because this time, Hoseok reaches out to the end of her braided hair. The rubber band split off.

“It’s going to be ruined if I let it go.”

“It’s – it’s okay. I’ll just fix it once we’re back in the office.” How many times does he plan to surprise me like this? My heart can’t take so much!!!

“Are you sure? You look cute in it though.”

“It’s fine. Let it go…” she looks up and gets to see Hoseok pouting. “I can probably do little braids with your hair, you know? Considering how long they are.”

“Oh, really? Then, can you do it with me some other time?”

“Sure! I’ll do it for you.”

But, deep inside, she’s panicking. Can she really tie Hoseok’s hair? Probably not without her heart beating way too fast.

“If you were mine, you wouldn’t even put on skirts that go three inches above the knees.”

Saeron thinks she heard Hoseok say something as she reached out for his spoon and fork, but the older just smiles and asks her to continue eating, so she does.

--

Taehyung smiles at Jungkook’s secretary, who is surprised to see him there. It’s only four o’clock, her boss is in the middle of a meeting and will only be back at 4:30. So why is Taehyung here?”

“Hi, um, is it okay for me to wait for Kookie – I mean Jungkook inside his office? I know he’s coming back at 4:30 and I got something to discuss to him.”

“Uh, I mean, sure you can Taehyung-ssi but… why? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Taehyung is holding a magazine, there’s a bunch of them in his arms together with a brown envelope. She can see the Park’s heir on the front of one of the covers, it’s last year’s issue of the magazine where those families who own big fortunes are featured. She knows her boss will be on the cover very soon as well.

“I just have something to discuss with him… is he super busy? Does he have something for his 4:30?” Yuju shakes her head and looks at her notebook, filled with her boss’ schedule.

“He’s got a 5 o’clock with Yoongi-ssi and the Marketing Department,” she informs. “But I sent you his schedule for today. He asked me to send it to you every day.”

“Yes you did and I know, which is why I’m here.” He says, looking at his wristwatch to check the time in case he got it wrong. “His 4:30 to 5:00 is enough for me to discuss something with him so I’ll just wait for him in his office, okay?”

“Okay. I’ll tell him that –“

“Oh, please don’t,” Taehyung says in a hurry after opening the office door. “It’s fine. I don’t want him to cut his meeting short.”

With that, Taehyung leaves Jungkook’s secretary and invites himself into the heir’s humble abode located on the top floor of this luxurious building in the middle of Seoul. The Jeon Group of Companies’ head office.

He often reflects on how he fell in love with the place so much that he ended up wanting to work in it,  and now he’s here. Doing work he truly loves. Working with people who genuinely admire the family that runs the empire.

The Jeon Group of Companies has always been bold with their business. They’ve been dealing with hotels, resorts, restaurants, furniture, interior design, and architecture. And just recently, with the hotel in Daegu, farming was also added, as Taehyung’s family owns a farm and for it not to be demolished, the Jeons made it an addition to the hotel. He can already tell that it’ll be successful with the help of Jihyun who handles the farm, his mom didn’t study Business Management for nothing. The Jeons didn’t settle with that, because they also owned a winery and distillery business, with Yoongi buying the property from a business partner who decided to emigrate.

Taehyung can only laugh at the memory of when Yoongi went head to head with Jongwan three years ago in the meeting room. They were all there – Namjoon, Jin, Yoongi, Jongwan, Sejin, and him – they were all surprised because of the impromptu meeting, but everything made sense when Yoongi showed a contract for buying the business. Jongwan was, of course, surprised but that was mainly because they would always tell him before making such a bold move.

It was abrupt and impulsive, and of course, Yoongi needed help. It gave Namjoon and Jongwan headaches for months, trying to figure it out with Yoongi – from the manpower down to the smallest thing the winery and distillery business might need – it was chaos, but they managed. Especially when Sejin decided to help with the management, it didn’t take them long to bring the business up and running smoothly again. Now, it’s one of the family’s main businesses. Of course, Yoongi remains as the President of that family property, along with Jongwan or should he say, Jungkook, because he just recently found out from Jimin, that Jungkook was the one who bought half of it to help Yoongi.

It nearly bankrupted Yoongi because he used his own money, but in the end, it was a brilliant move. And, it’s really sweet of him actually because he intended to buy the property for Jimin to live out a worry-free life in the lap of luxury without a care for money.

The line of work is nicely distributed, and the cousins are handling it well, with Jungkook now the CEO and President of JGC, Namjoon, and Yoongi as two Vice Presidents. Namjoon leads the Sales and advertising part of the company, Yoongi handles the Marketing and Risk Management – yeah, even though he’s the risky one.

He is in the middle of putting a picture frame he picked up back in its place when the door flies open, making him stand straight with a smile ready to greet Jungkook. But his smile is wiped off as fast as it appeared when he sees Jungkook has company.

"It'll be a pleasure if we get to sit down one of these days, Jeon. My daughter and I will arrange a lunch meeting with you so we could talk more about the things we were discussing in the meeting a while ago."

Taehyung just stood there and as much as he wanted to run out, he can't especially not when he got spotted by the three.

"Oh, who is this fine young man?"

Taehyung quickly puts on a smile and goes to greet them. He's aware that Jungkook is eyeing him sternly, but he doesn't give it away through his actions, what can he hide from Jungkook really?

"This is Kim Taehyung, JGC's Design Department Head. Taehyung, this is Mr. Jung and his daughter, Jeomi."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm sorry... I thought you had nothing on your 4:30-5:00 so I invited myself in to wait for you." He says, explaining to Jungkook, who only looks at him, exhaustion visible on his beautiful face. He nearly reaches out to caress it. "I didn't know you'll be coming with them..." He adds before quickly turning around to retrieve his things. "I'll just return for now. Mine can wait and —"

"No, it's fine. They were just about to leave after I give them my portfolio. Please wait for a while, Mr. Jung." Jungkook says, eyes boring into Taehyung as if he's making him sit down on the couch, which he slowly does. "I've taken a break from interior designing because I have to focus more on the other aspects our empire is dealing with, but it'll be a pleasure for me to design your daughter's new house with her soon to be husband." The heir blabbers and suddenly, Taehyung got the idea of why they came back with Jungkook to his office. "This is my latest work from when I was still in England. Please take your time in reviewing it and tell me your comments afterward. If you would have me, I'll gladly work on the designs to show you my gratitude for the deal we just sealed today."

"Oh please, little Jeon. The pleasure is all ours. Your family is filled with good people. You just keep it up and trust me, many others will continue walking beside you. As for this extra favor we ask of you, we'll be in touch with you very soon."

"Sure. I'll be counting the moments. Now, my secretary will show you out because it seems I have company to attend to." That's Taehyung who smiles shyly at the three, making Jungkook smile back at his — at Taehyung. Just at Taehyung. They’re not back together yet so he can’t call him his boyfriend or anything of that sort. "So if you’ll excuse us, I'll be expecting that lunch meeting with you sir. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze it into my already tight schedule."

"Alright. Thank you, little Jeon. We will be seeing you soon and oh, Mr. Kim, nice to meet the gem of JGC's design team."

"Thank you, and again, it’s nice to meet you, sir, ma'am. We'll see you around."

"You surely will."

Once the door closes, Taehyung is ready to get up and maybe apologize to the younger for not telling him beforehand that he’s coming, but with Jungkook laying down on the couch with his head on Taehyung’s leg, he can’t do that now.

Jungkook has his eyes closed and Taehyung can see how stressed and tired the younger is compared to the state he was in, in the morning.

He gently runs his finger along under Jungkook’s eye, earning a hum from the heir. Then his fingers go through his silky hair, massaging his scalp gently, and that’s when he opens his eyes.

“Let’s stay still for a sec… I just need time to recharge before we talk about the things you have for me.”

“It can wait…” Taehyung says quickly, still massaging Jungkook’s scalp. “You look exhausted. You just rest there and I’ll stay till your next meeting.”

“Sorry… I’ve been worn out since we encountered a problem with one of our international branches. If things continue as it is, I will have to fly there myself to figure things out.”

“And where is that?”

“Tokyo, Japan…” Jungkook opens his eyes immediately locking with Taehyung’s wary ones. “And, if it comes to that, I would like to ask you to accompany me.”

“Oh… you were planning on taking me with you all along?” Taehyung’s expression changes making Jungkook smile.

“I mean, only if you want. It’ll be a short trip but –“

“It’ll be our first trip together!” Taehyung exclaims excitedly. “And it’s Japan! I’ll take this as an opportunity to see how international JGC Hotels are designed.”

“I see you’re excited.” The heir teases. “I’ll take that as a yes then… if it ever comes to that.”

But Taehyung remembers something, so it drowns his excitement. “But when is that? I need to check my schedule. We’re already late with our Gangnam Project, and I don’t think it’s wise for me to leave while we’re in the middle of a crisis.”

“Oh please. Isn’t that resolved already? Didn’t Namjoon already conduct an emergency meeting earlier?” Jungkook gets up, fixing his suit and sitting beside Taehyung. “You’re pretty much done with it now that I’ve given my input, right? I heard it got settled.”

“Can you not roll your eyes? You’re not five.” He teases, earning a pout from Jungkook. “Well… about that. I didn’t know you’d do that!” Taehyung hits the younger’s arm, making the heir jolt away from him but immediately slides back beside him, laughing. “Good thing you made me remember! I was really planning to fight you because of it. I already told you that we’d handle it, right? How could you do that? They’re the client, Kookie…”

“Let me get things straight… first, I didn’t do that for you – I mean, at least I didn’t do it for you alone – I did it for the entire design team. Besides, it’s slowing things down on our end, and it doesn’t look good, so of course, I would have to interfere and do something about it,” Jungkook explains. “You and your team are losing sleep for one project, Taehyung. And you all have something bigger than that project.”

Taehyung knows exactly what Jungkook is saying. They are the design team of JGC, so JGC should be their top priority. It’s preventing Taehyung and the team from completing projects that were scheduled before the Gangnam Project.

“One thing my grandfather taught me is that we should always put our employees first above anything else… if you have a problem, instead of telling you off or firing you, we should find a way to solve the problem with you. Anything that makes you uncomfortable or gives you a hard time should be crossed out of the way. Otherwise, you will not deliver the best result. Isn’t that a win-win?”

“You are great people Jungkook… you and your family.”

The heir only smiles at that before leaving the couch to go behind his executive table and plopping down on his executive chair.

“So, what is it that you came here for? What’s inside that brown envelope and is that a magazine I am seeing?”

“Oh –“ Taehyung picks up his things and moves in front of Jungkook’s table to give it to him. “I said this can wait but as you are already asking, have you ever heard of Park Chanyeol?”

“Sound familiar and this would be him in the front cover, right? What about him?” Jungkook goes ahead and opens the envelope filled with pictures and other things he compiled to have material he can present to Jungkook about the Parks. “The leading Steel Company… hmm. What is it about him that you came here yourself.”

“I, uh… I believe Namjoon-hyung will come to see you soon about this matter since Chanyeol-hyung already came here to see him but… do you think you can find time to squeeze him into your schedule and have a talk? Since we’re going to be expanding in the next three years and we’re looking into putting bars inside our hotels, I think it’ll be best if it’ll be with Chanyeol-hyung…”

“Chanyeol-hyung?” Jungkook’s eyebrows rise at that, and Taehyung quickly answers the heir.

“Oh… he’s Baehyun-hyung’s boyf – fiancé.”

“Oh… I see.” Jungkook is still not looking at Taehyung because he’s busy scanning the contents of the envelope, so he continues to explain.

“Bars and restaurants are some of the many things the Parks have under their umbrella beside the steel business, and it’s really very good if we are to talk about their sales statistics. Chanyeol-hyung has appointed someone he trusts – also a friend of mine – and he’s excellent. Not to mention, their cook is also a friend of mine, and I know them for a while so… do you think you can give them a chance?”

“They’re aware that we recently added winery and distillery in our business, right?” Jungkook finally looks up and meets Taehyung’s eyes. “Because I’m sure they are, though it’s still small, Yoongi-hyung is working on it to have it keep up with our other businesses… the reason why we considered adding bars in our hotels is because of that Tae, so if there is someone to supply alcohol in our bars, it’ll be Yoongi-hyung.”

Not that all JGC Hotels didn’t have bars before. Some of their hotels here in Korea have one. The hotel in Isla Perdida has one, and he knows they have a partner when it comes to it.

Taehyung stands there in silence, caught up with his own thoughts because why didn’t he think of that? How could he forget such a detail?

“Oh, yeah… right. I didn’t think of that. That’s really –“

“But their bakeries are interesting.” Jungkook cuts off, earning Taehyung’s attention again. “It’s kind of new, but it’s very trendy and popular so… if they would like, I think we can talk about the possibility of this partnership.”

“Really?” Taehyung’s eyes go wide, and he’s quickly taking out his phone. “Really? Will you really consider? I mean –“

“Calm down Tae. It all depends on what they really want from us. If they’re just willing to put bars in our hotels, then that’s already crossed out because we only consider Yoongi-hyung’s now unless they decide to build a partnership with Yoongi-hyung, that’ll be a different thing, and maybe we should also consider that option. But if they’re willing for other things, then…”

“Oh my gosh, I’m sure they’d want it! Chanyeol-hyung has meant to renew the partnership with you, but out of respect for your family, they didn’t move to do so for the last five years and – oh my gosh… do you mind if I set up your meeting with them? Or –“

“Sure… aren’t we supposed to meet them sooner or later? I already met Baekhyun. Meeting his boyfriend will be cool too… I hope.”

“Oh my gosh!” Taehyung throws himself on Jungkook who quickly holds him tight, so he does not fall. “I’m so excited about this! Kyungsoo-hyung’s sweets are the best! I would love it in our hotels and – I mean in your hotels, that’ll be amazing and –“ Jungkook chuckles and Taehyung only realizes where he’s at after a moment.

On Jungkook’s lap. He got Jungkook’s head against his neck, and he can feel the younger’s breath.

“All the more reason for me to meet them then.”

“Yeah…” he pulls away but doesn’t move to leave the younger’s lap, and before he knew it, Jungkook is pulling his head down for a kiss.

“Been wanting to do this since I woke up and found you beside me…” Jungkook murmurs against his lips before pulling him in for another kiss. Taehyung just gives in because he too has been wanting this. He wanted the younger to kiss him since the morning when he woke up because that’s the only thing they didn’t do in their usual morning routine.

The kiss involved tongue, and he can taste a slightly bitter taste which he thinks came from a brewed coffee. Jungkook probably had one during his meeting. It added to the natural flavor of Jungkook’s kisses. It’s mind-blowing. His grip tightens on the younger’s shoulder, and because of that, he started to squirm against the heir’s thighs.

He pulls away before standing up only to sit down again, this time on the younger’s executive table with his legs spread to welcome Jungkook who left his seat so he could kiss Taehyung again, which he does, deeper this time.

Taehyung’s arms roam around Jungkook’s neck, trapping the younger between his legs, earning a firm grip on his legs from Jungkook’s strong hands. He whines at that, but as Jungkook kisses lower, he knows he’s already lost control because the younger is breathing raggedly against his skin as he attempts to control himself, but Taehyung wants him to continue.

Jungkook’s kisses slow against his neck.

“Why did you stop?” he asks, fingers pulling at the younger’s hair. “What’s wrong?”

“…” he hears the younger whisper and when Jungkook pushes his lower body against Taehyung, he suddenly understands why he cussed. “We need to stop… sorry. I’m not even sure if you’re okay with this –“

“I’m not stopping you, right?” Taehyung asks though his hold on the heir loosens. Jungkook diverts his gaze, ears red which Taehyung is sure is due to embarrassment. “Hey, look at me. We’re okay, Kookie… you didn’t make me uncomfortable.”

“I – sorry… I just suddenly got too comfortable. I took the initiative to kiss you and… did you really like it?”

Taehyung smiles before jumping off the table only to cling to Jungkooks neck and pepper his chin with kisses.

“I missed your kisses… I’d like you to do more.”

And that renders the heir speechless, making Taehyung laugh as he lets him go to leave. Thankfully, Yuju knocks on the door to remind Jungkook about his meeting at 5 o’clock, which gives Taehyung more chance to leave.

“I’ll see you later?” he asks, teasing the younger who finally comes back to his senses and in quick strides, catches up to Taehyung who is opening the door. He pushes the door closed, turns Taehyung around and kissed him again.

“You’re doing this on purpose… you’re making me lose my mind, Tae…”

Taehyung only giggles and allows a few more kisses before Jungkook finally lets him go. “I’ll see you later. Wait for me in your office…”

“I will.”

One last kiss on Jungkook’s cheek and his out. He smiles at Yuju, who smiles back. He knows Jungkook is standing by his office’s door, so he looks back before walking towards the elevator slowly, give the younger a show. He knows how much admiration Jungkook has for his .

He also knows he's too flirty right now and he’s not sure if it’s acceptable but… who cares? He missed Jungkook and he’s got him back, might as well trap the younger, right?

The elevator comes fast and he blows a kiss before stepping inside, Jungkook playfully catches it with his palm, making even Yuju, giggle.

Ah… love is in the air again.

--

A knock on his door is all it takes to end his meeting with Saeron. Jungkook is standing outside his office, car keys in hand and gesturing that he'd wait for him outside.

After dismissing Saeron however, Jungkook shows himself in and plops down on Taehyung's swivel chair while he organizes his things so they can go.

"How's your day?" He hears Jungkook ask behind him.

"We were literally together one hour ago, Jungkook. You know how it went."

"Hmm. Should we buy something for Mrs. Seon?"

Taehyung turns around to face Jungkook who's looking up at him while he leans back against his table, crossing his arms.

"Considering the traffic I'm sure we'd go through, I don't think it's wise to buy her something."

"Alright." Jungkook puts his hands on Taehyung's waist and turns him back around. "Continue doing your thing then."

"How about you? You look tired?"

"As you said, we were just together an hour ago so you already know that."

"But?"

"But I'm okay now since I finally get to see you..."

Taehyung glances at Jungkook only to realize that the younger has his eyes closed. Damn, his Jungkook really looks worn out. Though it's understandable, it's not acceptable to see him like this. So he quickly shoves his things into his bag, pulls Jungkook from his seat and guides him to the couch. He closes his office door after bidding everyone goodbye and dims the lights before joining Jungkook on his couch.

"What are you doing? Aren't we going back? Mrs. Seon will leave soon —" Jungkook's eyes widen as Taehyung sits on his lap and buries his face against his neck. "Tae, not that I'm complaining but — what are you doing?"

"Charging you."

Taehyung can feel his cheeks burning after saying those words, but the chuckle it brings out from Jungkook makes it worth it.

"Dimmed light kind of gave it a different vibe, baby... You surprised me there." Taehyung only hums as Jungkook runs his warm hands over his back. And he can feel the warmth through his clothes just because. "Give me fifteen minutes and we'll go. Okay?"

"Hmm."

And just like that, Taehyung felt Jungkook's arms going around him for a hug. If it's to pull him closer, he'll never know. But it's comfortable and Jungkook has always been warm. This is something he can do to at least help Jungkook be at ease, he'll do it every day. After all, he needs it too. It's a win-win.

He stayed still for fifteen minutes on Jungkook's lap, humming to different songs while massaging the heir's scalp. He's giving Jungkook's neck small kisses too.

Once their time is up, it is Taehyung who doesn't want to move, but he knows he has to or else he won't get to see Mrs. Seon leave as promised.

In Jungkook's car, he's not sure who can't take it anymore, as the younger is about to start the car, Taehyung leans in and Jungkook, as if he's expecting it, opens his arms to welcome him and his kisses. And damn, it feels so good.

It's like Jungkook is ready for whatever it is Taehyung is about to do. Ready to kiss him back as soon as their lips touch. It has Taehyung when it deepens, Jungkook has always been good at kissing so you can't blame Taehyung for melting and for wanting more because it's so damn good.

Only when Jungkook's phone starts ringing, do they stop kissing but Taehyung doesn't pull away from Jungkook. Instead, he lets himself fall against the younger's chest as he takes the call sounding so... lost for words. And Taehyung's proud of himself for making Jungkook sound like that.

"Dad. Yeah... We'll — hm, we're on our way to pick Yeontan up actually... Dinner?" Jungkook pulls his phone away and looks at Taehyung. "Dinner at home?" He shakes his head, mouthing it’s still a work day tomorrow. "Not today, dad. We’ll drop by on Friday instead, it’s still a work day tomorrow. Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

As soon as the phone call is dropped, Taehyung is on Jungkook again.

"Baby, you need to stop these attacks or else we won't be able to see Mrs. Seon leave.” Jungkook literally pins Taehyung against his seat who only giggles cutely as if he's really testing his patience. "I never knew you love kisses this much. I would've drowned you with them five years ago if I had known." He gives Taehyung one last peck on the lips before putting the seatbelt on him before his own. "Let's get going."

"Alright." He squeezes Jungkook's hand. "And you should have really."

Jungkook blinks, confused as he procedes to drive but Taehyung only giggles before continuing.

"You should've really drowned me with your kisses five years ago. I'd have been addicted to them then."

A grin graces the younger's lips, that's all it takes to make Taehyung's heart race even faster.

"I can get you addicted to them now and drown you with it."

Taehyung knows Jungkook can do just that.

I mean... He's already doing it, right?

They pick up Yeontan from the Jeon’s Mansion before going back to Taeyung’s apartment to change into something comfortable.

Jungkook is frozen in place when Taehyung emerges from the bedroom. He’s wearing an oversized white hoodie with black jogging pants. His hair is still wet from the shower, and he’s also wearing glasses, but that is not what takes his breath away.

The hoodie Taehyung is wearing is his, and it’s one of his favorites. It has the words JEON JK embroidered on the left, right over Taehyungs heart.

“What are you looking at?”

He smiles sheepishly, not answering Taehyung’s question. Instead, he approaches the older and takes his hand while trying to calm Yeontan who thanks to the leash, is excited to go out.

“Are we getting ice cream first or?”

“Ice cream first then to Mrs. Seon. I really need one right now.” He puts on his shoes while Jungkook folds his sleeves up to his elbows, coat jacket thrown on Taehyung’s couch.

“What should we get?”

“Lots of chips –“

“No, you’ll have way too much junk food in your place.”

Jungkook ends up navigating Taehyung inside the convenience store, with the older just saying yes or no, nodding or shaking his head whenever Jungkook lifts something from the shelf. He is waiting for Jungkook to finish with the cashier when the girl behind the counter smiles at him and asks:

“You guys are boyfriends?”

He thinks on it for a while as he watches Jungkook pick out the flavors of their choice in Ice cream. In the end, he just smiles at her and leaving just like that. He doesn’t have an answer for such a question, and he doesn’t want to give answers to strangers.

Jungkook opens his ice cream for him, and Taehyung is once again reminded that he is well taken care of this time around and loved. The little things count, you know? Being taken care of by someone, being put first, makes him happy.

Jungkook will make sure he is okay above anyone, even above himself.

“Oh, your shoelaces came undone… please hold this –“

Jungkook shoves his unopened ice cream at Taehyung then crouches down to tend to his shoelaces. Passersby are inevitably shocked of course and it makes Taehyung want to laugh, but as he looks at Jungkook doing things for him, it’s just… making him so happy.

“Wear your shoes properly, Tae. You might trip and hurt yourself.”

Love… is it about being able to rely on someone for your own safety? Because if it is, he really is feeling it right now.

After opening his own ice cream, they start walking back to bid goodbye to Mrs. Seon, with Yeontan trailing excitedly behind them.

The two walk side by side as they finish off their ice cream. Yeontan's leash is being held by Taehyung while the bags of snacks are handled by Jungkook.

They decided before they see Mrs. Seon off, they should at least let her see Yeontan for the last time. Even if the separation doesn't take forever, Taehyung just knows that the old lady will miss his dog.

"Do we have everything?" Taehyung asks, trying not to drop his ice cream and accidentally let go of Yeontan's leash as Jungkook put his hood on and rolled up his sleeves for him so as not to accidentally stain the white hoodie. "It's cool tonight."

"It is. And yet you decided to step out after you bathed."

"Well, Grandma Seon is leaving so we have to hurry." He rebuts which earns a glare from Jungkook.

He only playfully smiles at the younger and pushes himself closer to him, to, of course, keep himself warm.

"Are you going back tonight?"

That's a question Taehyung definitely doesn't want to ask and Jungkook doesn't want to hear because he doesn't know/want to answer. It’s reminding them that they’re in a situation where they don’t go back to the same place together, like before.

He glances at Taehyung, who is silently eating his ice cream as they walk.

"I should go back, right? I didn't bring clothes with me." He answers, tucking some hair behind Taehyung's ear. "I didn’t bring anything back with me when we left dad’s house so I’ll leave after we have dinner."

"You can always stay..."

They stop. Jungkook watches Taehyung's face, trying to figure the older out because he doesn't want to suddenly cross the line and scare him off. He wants this to work, not to end.

"Tae, what do you want?"

Their gazes lock and Taehyung’s long forgotten his ice cream that it's starting to melt over his hand, but he doesn't mind.

"You... Just you."

Jungkook smiles, presses a kiss to Taehyung's forehead then they continue on their long walk back to the Seon’s house.

"I'll just ask Donghyun to bring me clothes tomorrow morning then."

And with just that, all the worries in Taehyung's chest is lifted.

Jungkook stays.

Once they reach the Seon's house, the old lady is ready to go and just waiting for the last box to be placed in the cargo truck.

Taehyung hugs Grandma Seon, thanking her for everything she and her husband have done for him and Yeontan. There are tears, but more on Taehyung's side because he’s grown attached to the Seons. They're like his own family, and it's sad that she’s leaving.

"Dear, you're not alone anymore."

The old lady points at Jungkook, crouching on the floor, playing with Yeontan with what seems to be a ball, he's not sure where the heir picked it up.

"There's someone who will take care of you, Taetae." She taps Taehyung's chin to take the pout away. "You can always visit me or call me, son. You have my number, and Jungkook has my address. He'll take you to where I am in a jiffy if you say so."

"You better be ready for my appearance because I will come unannounced." He teases before pulling Grandma Seon in for a hug again. "I'll miss you, grandma. Please take care. The weather is getting colder, so please remember to always keep yourself warm. Drink medicines when you're in pain or when you have a fever... Call me whenever you miss me.

On their way back to Taehyung’s apartment, Jungkook pretty much expects the older to cry, but he doesn’t expect him to cry and ask to be carried. Nonetheless, he complies, especially once he sees how red Taehyung’s cheeks and nose are.

It’s not an easy thing to do, carrying the not so heavy bags of snacks, holding onto Yeontan’s leash and keeping Taehyung intact on his back but he made it safely and puts Taehyung down first, allowing the older to grab on to his cushion pillow and cry some more.

He sits on the carpeted floor, bumping his back against Taehyung’s knees to let him know that he’s not alone.

“Do you want to watch anything from your collection of Disney Movies?” he asks first, reaching out for the television remote. “Or, do you want me to take out anything from the fridge that can cheer you up?”

“No…”

“Hmm…” he sighs, giving up before sitting beside Taehyung to pull him in for a hug, surprising the older making the cushion slip from his hold. “Then I’ll just hold you tight assuming it could cheer you up. Is that okay?”

Taehyung finally gives in as he clings tight to Jungkook and cries harder against the other’s chest.

“I’m going to miss her so much – I’m not even used to Grandpa Seon’s death yet and then – “

“I know, baby. But we can always visit Grandma Seon, right? Heck, we can even visit her every day and take Yeontan with us – I won’t mind driving you there if it means I can make you smile. Your tears are breaking my heart so much right now.”

Taehyung’s sobs do break Jungkook’s heart and he can’t help but wrap the older tighter in his arms.

“I can even buy a house beside their house –“

“You can’t do that.”

“Oh Tae, don’t even use that tone on me, you know I can.”

He pulls away from Jungkook’s hold with a smile that catches the younger off guard for a second and the breathy chuckles that follow the smile really does it.

“There goes your smile. Missed it.” he brushes his knuckles against Taehyung’s cheeks to wipe the tears away. “Will you stop crying now?”

The older nods and leans in to bury his face in the junction of Jungkook’s neck. “Let’s watch Mulan.”

“Whatever you want, Tae.”

--

Jin can see the light probably coming from the television in the living room, meaning, Taehyung is home. And he feels thankful that the younger is home. Otherwise, they would have to come back some other time with their unplanned surprise visit and sleepover.

It was decided that afternoon, right after they separated from Taehyung, that they will have a surprise visit and stay over at Taehyung's place (formerly their place together back in college). It's an impulsive decision, but their partners understand. Namjoon said that Taehyung might come home late, but as soon as he saw the light from the living room, he relaxes. Not that it matters if Taehyung comes back home late. That will give them enough time to prepare their usual necessities when doing this sort of stuff. What matters is if Taehyung decided to go back in the Jeon's mansion. Given it's a weekday and only Thursday, it's near impossible for him to go back there, but who knows? Jungkook is back. Those two are probably looking for ways to spend time together now that they're both within reach.

As Jimin joins him on the front porch, they both get ready to surprise Taehyung with this sudden sleepover.

They slowly make their way to the living room and are starting to wonder why Yeontan still hasn't come to bark at them.

"Where is he?" Jimin whispers behind him. "I don't see him."

The couch is empty. But not the carpet.

Jin stops abruptly upon seeing Taehyung and Yeontan, and it answers why the dog hasn't come to bark at them.

Jungkook is lying down on the carpeted floor of Taehyung's living room. A pillow under his head, Taehyung's body half sprawled on him and Yeontan luckily not squished between them.

They sure look comfortable as the movie continues with them sleeping on the floor. Judging the part of the Mulan II movie, the two probably fell asleep thirty minutes ago – not sure of that though.

"Why is Kookie here?" Jimin again, whispers behind him. "And in Tae's pajamas."

"Well, this scene pretty much answers your question, right? I mean, look at them. Even Yeontan is sticking so close."

Jimin gives them a look. It is quite a scene, alright. Not a surprising one though, for it was bound to happen anytime. It's just that, this is too soon, Jin thinks, and he’s worried.

"Should we wake them up?" Jin asks, sitting on the couch, trying hard to stay as quiet as possible. He watches Jimin as the younger pull the covers until it reaches Taehyung's nape. "They look so cute that I don't really want to."

Yeontan's ears move and the dog sits up straight, eyes wide open looking at the two males she knows so well, she barks.

Jimin panics and tries to carry the dog in his arms to keep her quiet, but Yeontan probably thinks Jimin is playing with her, so she barks some more, and all energetically runs around the living room, making noise. Then she stops and jumps on Taehyung's back until he wakes up. Eyes half-closed, trying to find the source of the noise and the reason why he's suddenly awake when he's sleeping comfortably on Jungkook.

"Yah, Tannie... Your dad is sleeping... I told you he's tired and needs his rest." Taehyung picks up the dog, still not aware of the other two's presence. They quietly watch him as he tucks himself back beside Jungkook, who stirs awake by the sudden movement from Taehyung, which leaves him cold.

"What?" He asks groggily, trying to sit up but Taehyung hugs him around the waist stopping him so he lays down again and pulls him close, not forgetting to kiss the older's hair. "What happened?"

"Tannie woke up... He was jumping on me just a few seconds ago and — why do I smell Jimin's cologne?"

The two sit up together. Jungkook looking confused and Taehyung looking around the apartment and he suddenly gasps, jumps back on Jungkook's lap who thankfully manages to hold onto his weight and Tannie's who jumps on her human's lap as if she's surprised too. Both stick to Jungkook like their lives depended on him.

The heir looks up to what caused Taehyung to be surprised and even he is surprised.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"Well... Surprise!"

They move to the dining area. Taehyung is still on Jungkook's lap while Yeontan is back in the living room, sleeping.

"You surprised us," Taehyung says first, thanking Jungkook for the water. "Why do you have to come here, unannounced? You almost killed me."

"I think we should be the ones to tell you that you surprised us," Jin claims, munching on his precious nuts. "Why are you two — like... Like that? I thought you said you’re not back together yet, Tae?"

"Like... What?" Taehyung feigns innocence, looking away from Jin. He already said too much that afternoon, he’s not about to say more than that.

Jungkook has his head stuck in the junction of Taehyung's neck, breathing in the scent and slowly starting to doze off again.

"Don't give me that confused look, Tae. We both know what I'm talking about here."

"No, I don't." Taehyung insists, starting to squirm on Jungkook's lap, uneasiness caused by the questions. This, of course, is noticed by Jungkook who lifts up his head.

"Hey. Are you guys hungry?" He nudges Taehyung's arm with his head affectionately to distract him. He is proven successful when Taehyung roams his arms around his shoulders and turns to him. It's clear in the older's eyes that he's not ready to talk about whatever it is that's happening between them, and he's not ready either. But one way or another, he has to make Taehyung feel that he’s got his back. "I can see that you brought groceries. Are you cooking, Jin-hyung? I can help."

And that's all it takes for them to divide into two. Jimin and Taehyung fixing the duvet in the living room where they all decided to sleep for the night, while Jungkook and Jin are in the kitchen to make something.

It is quiet for the first fifteen minutes of preparing the ingredients for the kimchi fried rice and japchae, but when Jin places down his knife and turns to where Jungkook is preparing the condiments, he stops as well and faces the older.

"It is what it is hyung. Don't ask." He starts off then continues to prepare the condiments but is again stopped when Jin glares at him. "Fine. What? Ask away. I don't think you'll start cooking unless I allow you to ask questions you’ve been meaning to."

"Why are you here? It's workday tomorrow."

"It was a workday today too, yet this morning I went to the office from here."

"Jungkook, what the hell is happening? Taehyung said you're not back together yet, but the scene we caught you in together in the living room tends to tell us otherwise —"

"Hyung, please. Drop this. I don't want Taehyung to hear any of this —"

"Then start talking or I'll speak louder."

Jungkook gives up. He can never win against Jin's persistence.

"This isn’t something I should tell you in the first place, Jin-hyung.” Is what he says but he does answer the older anyway. “We're not back together yet and no, neither of us are lying about that. I just — how do I say it? I guess it's safe to say that we're going with Tae's pace. Whatever he says goes. Or something like that. You can understand, right?"

"No, I can't. The ?" Jin steps toward Jungkook until they're whispering distance apart. "I don't get it at all, Kook. It's like five years of you being away didn't happen at all! Don't you find it a little too fast for you to come here, stay the night and cuddle with him? Doesn't he need time and space to think this through?"

"Hyung." Jungkook stops Jin from talking with a warning tone and a hard glare. "Don't you think that's up to Tae to decide? This is up for us to decide, hyung. You need to step the back. Because I assure you, I am here because this is what Taehyung wants. I'm not saying this isn't what I want, but we both know, and I'm hoping you can see it, that I am trying hard to make him feel as comfortable as possible. If he wants me to stay here, watch Disney movies and cuddle, I will. I've lost five years of being his boyfriend, hyung. I'm not about to question his decisions now. I am wherever he wants me to be."

"But he's too dependent on you, Jungkook. You both are!"

"And I want him to be, hyung!" Jungkook tries so hard to say that in a low volume, hoping Taehyung in the living room can't hear. "This may look like I am taking advantage of his weakness but... He's letting me. He's allowing me to. He's giving me the chance to make it up to him. Can't I just take that?"

There's silence between the two. They can hear the faint giggles coming from the living room, courtesy of Taehyung and Jimin.

“You two – can you ever figure things out?” Jin asks brokenly at the younger. Some things just don’t change, huh? “You are both keeping yourselves bare for each other to hurt, Jungkook. It’s as if you two are trying to lock each other up. You are like a drug for each other. It has you both so high, and before you realize it, you’ll end up falling from that high and hurt each other again…”

Jungkook’s glare hardens, lips tightly closed after hearing those words from Jin. “You’re brutally honest tonight, huh?”

Before Jin can rebut to that, Taehyung comes and immediately goes to where Jungkook is. The younger smiles at Taehyung as soon as he's beside him, making him hate the fact that he was just looking so sad only moments ago. Jin looks away from the scene.

Jungkook ultimately gives Taehyung all the shots. He knows for himself that it's Taehyung's shots to call, but he's worried about Jungkook because he’s completely laid everything that he is on the line. He's giving Taehyung the privilege to hurt him and love him or both together if that means he gets to stay beside the other. And for him, that's just so stupid and dumb, but it's ing love. It’s that kind of love that’s desperately taking whatever it can to keep him sane.

It's Jungkook's love for Taehyung, and it’s ing dangerous.

There's no one he can blame between the two now. They're both taking advantage of each other, and that's too apparent. As much as he wants to be happy for them, even more now that they seem to be moving forward little by little, he just can't.

Because one mistake can make the second downfall of these two.

"Are you making Kimchi Fried Rice?" Taehyung asks Jungkook who only nods. "Will you make it spicy?"

"Not too spicy otherwise you wouldn't be able to eat it."

"Hmm. Should I cook the instant rice then?"

"I mean you can but, you can just stay in the living room with Jimin, Tae. Jin-hyung and I have everything covered here."

"But I want to help?" Taehyung grabs the plastic bag with the instant rice and can Jungkook say no to that? Of course the hell not.

"Fine. But do you know how to make it?"

"Of course I do."

"Don't open the lid," Jin instructs from where he is cutting vegetables. "I hate it when Namjoon does that."

"I hate it too," TaeKook says in unison, earning an amused look from Jin.

Jimin joins them, but he stays in a safe distance away by sitting on the countertop while eating an apple. He's feeding Taehyung every once in a while, but his best friend is focused on staying close with Jungkook.

Jin asks him to take the lettuce to the table, and Taehyung does, but he doesn't even wash it first. Jin glares at Taehyung because of that because the latter seems to always hurry things up just so he could be near Jungkook, so Jimin says he'll do it since he's not really doing anything.

When Jungkook is cooking the ramen, Jin and Jimin are both watching the two silently. Jungkook is cracking a joke, making Taehyung laugh. He even feeds Tae his kimchi fried rice to test if it's something Taehyung can manage. Jungkook earns a two thumbs up from Taehyung. Jin and Jimin can only look at each other when Jungkook straight up eats what fell from Taehyung's mouth.

Talk about hygiene, right?

There are a lot of things that don't go unnoticed by Jin and Jimin. Like how Jungkook gives Taehyung his share of ramen, how they share one bottled water, how Taehyung plays with Jungkook's hair, how Taehyung settles naturally on Jungkook's lap... There's a lot, okay? And at the end of the day, when the two sleep under one duvet together, Jin is not sure about how Jimin feels about all of it, he just knows all he feels is worry.

Don't get him wrong. He’s glad these two are at least okay to be this close. But the worry comes from questions like, are they going to be okay? Won't the current situation hurt them? Will they end up figuring out what they truly want?

He is praying that the two actually talked about things because if they did, then he’ll admit to be prying too much and worrying for nothing. But what if they didn't?

Jin can only sigh as Jungkook cuddles Taehyung closer to his side.

--

The next morning Jungkook beats Jin to making breakfast. By the time Jin wakes up, breakfast is already set and so is the younger. He's ready to leave for work.

"You're leaving so early?"

"Good morning, hyung. Yeah, I received a phone call from dad, we will be meeting today for something that concerns the winery and distillery. Yoongi might be open to partnership very soon, so — I have to be there to support that plan."

"Does Jimin know?"

"He will eventually know soon from hyung, I think." Taehyung wakes up and slowly makes his way to Jungkook. Stopped two steps away to look at the younger dressed up for work before clinging to the heir's neck, not forgetting to kiss his cheek, good morning. "Good morning, Tae. Did you sleep well?"

"Hmm." He mumbles against Jungkook's neck. "Where are you off to so early?"

"Work, baby. Got to get ready for Yoongi's presentation today with the board. I'll tell you more about it later at lunch, okay? If we can even have one together.” He says apologetically. “I have to go. Donghyun is already waiting to take you to the office. I'll see you there, okay?"

"Okay... Be careful on your way there."

"I will." He plants three kisses on Taehyung's face. On his forehead, on the tip of his nose, and on his lips. "I'll see you. I love you."

"Call me as soon as you get there please."

"I will." Jungkook's smile brings a smile to Taehyung's lips, despite feeling a little sleep deprived.

"You're happy." It wasn't a question left for Taehyung to answer. It's more of an answer to Jin's many questions upon seeing the smile on Taehyung's lips.

"I am... I really am hyung." And he runs for the bathroom, closing the door quite loudly and take an early bath to start of his morning.

“Hey, Jimin.”

“Yes, hyung?”

“What do you honestly think of this whole thing?”

The younger blinks confusedly at Jin as he was just woken from a deep slumber by the loud closing of a door. He doesn’t understand where this question is coming from because surely, they both know what’s happening between the two – unless they see things differently.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, but if you’re pertaining to how things are between Jungkook and Tae, isn’t it only natural for them to be like that?” Jimin starts as he glances at the closed bathroom door. “I mean you are like that, too right? If you were separated for a long time with Namjoon-hyung, the moment he comes back, you’ll stick to him like a strong adhesive, you won’t let him go. For me, I think that’s exactly what’s going on between Tae and Kook. They’re getting used to the feeling of being together again after a long time, and I think that’s normal.”

“You’re not worried? They're too dependent on each other, Jimin.”

“Aren’t we all on our significant others, hyung?” Jimin yawns, quite bored with the flow of conversation. “One way or another, parts of us will be dependent on our lovers and again, isn’t that normal? You are too with Namjoon-hyung. Why can’t Taehyung or Jungkook?”

This renders Jin speechless. He’s surprised Jimin sees things this way. He was expecting Jimin to be the most worried of them all but seems like he’s mistaken. If he must say, Jimin understands the situation on a different level – as Taehyung’s best friend.

“I know that you’re worried about them being too dependent on each other because you think that time will come that they have to separate again and they’ll be too hurt, but those two are doing things right this time, hyung. I’m not just saying this without anything to back it up – I’m saying this because it’s how I see it. I think we shouldn’t worry too much. They’ve got this.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Taehyung is happy.” Jimin deadpans say, as if telling Jin that, ‘duh, isn’t it obvious?’ or something like that. “Just relax, hyung. Remember what we told Tae back in the restaurant?”

“That this is his relationship…”

“And?”

“And that it’s because it’s his relationship that he’s calling all the shots for it.”

“Exactly.” Jimin gets up, stretching his limbs and smiling at his hyung after. “Maybe they’ve already had that talk hyung, didn’t Tae tell us they’re talking about their issues? Maybe that’s why they’re like this now. I admit I’m surprised myself, but when I think about it, I see it as a natural thing because they lost each other for five years. They’re just making up for the time they lost, isn’t it fine?”

“I understand that part, Jimin. But what if –“

“It’s their what-ifs to face, hyung. Not ours. We can only stay back and watch and catch them if they fall. Isn’t that the role of a good friend?”

Jimin goes around the dining table, taking a bite of the toast he grabbed from a plate before eyeing his very worried looking hyung.

“You need to calm down, hyung. They have five years to remind them what to do and what not to do this time around.”

As if he’s scolded by those slightly cold words from Jimin, Jin concedes by lowering his head. Jimin is right, he can just worry about the two, there’s nothing he can do, especially when Taehyung and Jungkook have decided to keep it all to themselves regarding their relationship.

“I know you’re worried like you usually are, hyung.” Jimin continues, gently this time. He just really wants Jin to understand things differently. “And I’m not about to take that away from you, I’m worried too. But those two know better now. We shouldn’t interfere.”

Jin thinks to himself because it really is scary to watch, and he wonders for how long Taehyung and Jungkook will be able to endure everything. He wonders who will snap first. He wonders who will give in first. He wonders who will be able to keep it all together. He wonders who will be the patient one.

The love Jungkook and Taehyung have for each other that they both held back for five years is waiting for the right time to burst out, and he wonders if it will end up hurting them again or will they handle it just right?

After all, feelings can be kept inside but not forever…

--

A/N: Comments? Suggestions? Violent reaction? Anyone?