008: Realizations

OUR PREDESTINED END

The bar, unlike the first time Taehyung visited it, is packed. It’s too crowded and the music is too loud, reverberating through his body as he watches the heaving bodies on the dancefloor. He recognizes some members from JGC by the wristbands on their wrists. Some even greeted them when they arrived.

Jungkook walks behind Taehyung. He desperately wants to wrap a protective arm around the older’s waist but doesn’t know whether Taehyung would appreciate it. It might be too soon, so he settles for staying as close as possible.

The owner of the bar apologizes for not being able to give them the room they requested as he leads them to a private lounge on the second floor. The cousins dismiss the apology, saying they don’t mind at all. They prefer to keep their partners away from the leering eyes of strangers anyway. Jimin whines because he doesn’t want to be stuck inside a room but seeing as all the tables on the mezzanine are occupied, he has no choice.

The seating arrangement is comfortable, with the girls on a two-seater couch and everyone else occupying a large L-shaped couch arrangement. Jungkook accepts two menus and hands one to Taehyung. He wants to keep a close eye on what Taehyung orders since his tolerance for alcohol is really low and he doesn’t want him to get wasted and pass out like before.

“Tae, leave the drinks choices to Yoongi and Jungkook, okay?” Jimin warns his best friend who pouts cutely after nodding.

“You didn’t have to tell me, I’m not here to drink.” This makes Jungkook take the menu to find something appropriate. However, his attention is soon diverted by Saeron tugging on his shirt sleeve.

"You know where the bathroom is here?" She asks. Somi doesn't know the place and he's scared to send the girls off on their own since it’s so crowded and not everyone knows who they are. "Somi and I need to go."

"I'll go with you then. You might get in trouble if you go on your own." Jungkook says, rising from his seat.

"Just tell us where to go and we'll be fine, Kookie."

Jungkook may disregard that, but Taehyung heard her loud and clear. Jungkook didn't say anything other than to tell them where to go and instruct Somi that if they were to encounter unwanted attention, she should just tell them she's a Jeon and her family will have them kicked off the island. The security knows who they are because the owner of the bar knows the Jeons personally and he wouldn't like any harm to come to them in his humble establishment.

As the two get ready to leave the room, Taehyung returns his attention to the menu without saying anything to Jungkook.

He knew it wouldn't be easy. Jungkook probably got so used to Saeron calling the other by that nickname that he didn’t try to remember how it makes Taehyung feel uncomfortable.

Maybe he should just let it go?

“Hey, Tae? What do you want to drink?” he turns to Jimin on his left. “They have non-alcoholic drinks right?” he asks, flipping through the pages of the menu. “I don’t see any non-alcoholic drinks here.”

“Maybe it’s on a different menu? Should I ask them?”

“I’ll do it myself. I’ll go downstairs and ask at the bar.”

Jungkook is surprised when Taehyung suddenly jumps from his seat and he quickly grabs his hand when Taehyung bends to place his phone on the coffee table in front of them. “Where are you off to? We can call through that phone, Taehyung.” He is trying to pull him back to sit down but Taehyung gently resists, pushing his hands away. “I’m not letting you go out there, Tae.”

“Aren’t the girls going to the bathroom though?” he inquires and the two ladies nod in unison. “I’ll go with them.”

“Then I’ll come –“

"Jungkook, just stay here," Taehyung says sternly, pushing him back down into his seat. “There is no one down there who can possibly harm me within a timespan of five minutes so just stay here.”

“But –“

“No buts, Jungkook. I’ll be fine, I’ll be with Somi and Saeron. Besides, I’m pretty sure everyone saw me arrive with you and I don’t think anyone will try to get close with someone that’s been seen with you and your cousins.”

Jungkook doubts that. He really does. Taehyung draws attention wherever he goes, and this bar is no exception. The moment they stepped inside, all eyes were on them. Mainly because they own the island. It’s common knowledge, regular staff and inhabitants know them well.  That information is also available in all tour packages and brochures. It's also explained by staff when visitors arrive due to the strict rules regarding privacy boundaries. Normally he wouldn’t worry but this is Taehyung and he is sure he’s not the only one who gets mesmerized by him. No one knows him to be connected to the family, maybe some might know him as the son of his father’s lover, but not as someone who used to be Jeon Jungkook’s boyfriend. And not everyone gives a about details like that so it’s just natural for him to worry.

“Tae, I still don’t think we should let you go out there alone with two ladies.” Jin butts in and Jungkook silently thanks him. “Not that I’m saying you can’t protect them but because I know how bad you are with directions and I’m worried you might find yourself lost somewhere in the end. Let Jungkook go with you.”

Taehyung rolls his eyes in annoyance and huffs loudly before looking around, meeting his friends’ worried gazes.

“I can’t possibly get lost inside this bar, Jin, come on. Give me some credit. Besides, the bar counter is what? Right beside the staircase! We can see it from here. Let me go, we’ll be fine. If we’re not back in five minutes, then feel free to come after us. Send an entire search party if you want, I don’t care.” Taehyung moves to leave with Somi and Saeron but Jungkook gets up, going face to face with Taehyung, his eyes filled with determination and Taehyung knows he’s not going anywhere without those eyes watching him, so he concedes.

“I’ll watch you from here then.”

“I hate your protectiveness.”

“I doubt that. And I hate it when you’re stubborn.”

Jimin rolls his eyes at that. “We all know you are both lying.”

The pair don’t respond, only following the ladies out the door. Jungkook leans against the balustrade and signals the bouncers at the bottom of the stairs to keep their eyes on the trio.

Jungkook moves to lean more comfortably so he can keep watch on them himself. He only now realizes how packed the place is. When they arrived earlier all his attention was focused on Taehyung alone. He wonders about that now. It’s not peak tourist season so their marketing department must be doing a sterling job. He makes a mental note to thank them when he meets with them during the team building activities.

Isla Perdida is indeed the Jeon’s prize possession and he’s proud that they’re maintaining it. They are selective with the businesses they allow on the island so there is very little negative impact or infringement on the lives of the people native to the island. He is always grateful to his grandfather for this little piece of paradise.

Grandfather Jeon bought the island because he fell in love with the place during one of his mindless escapades. He promised to buy it for his family so they could have a place to enjoy the peace and tranquility of nature, it’s part of the reason for the strict boundaries.

The purchase of the island wasn't smooth sailing. The family had to gain the trust of the people and negotiate conditions of sale. Some of those conditions were the promise of jobs and fair trade with JGC operations on the island. The family also shoulders the schooling of the islander's children, an aspect that won approval of the sale. Of course, all of it comes with terms and conditions, especially the schooling of the children.

Even though they have modernized the island somewhat with their operations, the island is peaceful and remains unspoiled. An achievement Jungkook is most proud of.

Someone silently joins him in leaning against the balustrade and he doesn’t have to turn to know that it is Namjoon.  

“You know that Yeonjun’s father is asking to meet anyone in the family, right?”

He tenses but still keeps his eyes on Taehyung, who is sitting on one of the high chairs near the end of the bar counter.

“What do you mean?”

Namjoon sighs and rubs his palms together before speaking again. “Yeonjun’s father is asking to meet him. He’s been trying to reach out to Uncle Jongwan but knowing Uncle, he declined all calls made by that man. He then called me on my personal number and I don’t even know how he found it, but he was pleading to see his so –“

“He’s not his son. He gave up the right to be Yeonjun’s father the moment he abandoned Somi. He rejected them, Namjoon.” Jungkook says through gritted teeth as he turns to face his cousin. “There’s no ing way I’d let him near Somi and Yeonjun. Especially not now I’m here. I failed to be there for Somi when she delivered that wonderful blessing into this world… now it’s my duty to protect them at all costs. No one’s getting near our family. Not under my watch.”

Namjoon is not surprised that his cousin reacted this way. Jungkook has always been protective of their family members. They even made a promise when they were younger to protect their family when their turn came. He knows Jungkook will do anything in his power to keep that promise, especially now that he is the head of the family.

“Whatever you say goes, Jungkook. I just want you to know because sooner or later, he’ll try to contact you as well.”

“If he has the guts to do so, then I dare him.” He smirks evilly at the thought. “Does Somi know this?”

“I don’t think she does. There’s always been security around her ever since that issue involving her mother. There’s no way for that guy to come near her nor will he even get a chance to call her –“

“He managed to call you, Namjoon.” He deadpans and Namjoon realized his mistake. “How about Yeonjun? I still don’t know how well he is guarded, if the security around him is tight enough for us not to worry about him. Do you have highly competent security assigned to him?”

“Dude, the twins are on him.” Namjoon snickers and Jungkook let out a relieved sigh. “Yeonjun isn’t allowed to go anywhere – not that he will fancy going anywhere, we have everything he likes and needs in the mansion – the security there is watertight 24/7. You know the twins are masters at their job, he’s safe and no one gets near him.”

“Then I want Somi to be made aware of the situation so she can be more vigilant and prepared for any possibility. I know he’ll never win against us if he decides to fight for the child’s custody, but just to be prepared anyway. I need Somi to know everything. She’s strong. She will protect Yeonjun with her life, as any mother would.”

He’s about to make a call when he notices a stranger in Taehyung’s space. He sees Taehyung shake his head, presumably to decline an offer for a drink. He quickly moves toward the stairs when he notices Somi and Saeron join Taehyung. Saeron attempts to push the guy away from Taehyung, but Jungkook feels anger overtake him as the guy lands a punch to Saeron’s cheek, causing her to slump on the floor.

“WHAT THE ?”

--

Taehyung is humming a song while tapping his fingers against the counter. He finally had the menu for the non-alcoholic drinks so he’s only waiting for the girls to emerge from the bathroom. It's still a mystery to him why girls have to go to the bathroom in pairs and what takes them so long. With that in mind, he spins the barstool around to watch the people on the dancefloor. He glances upward to where Jungkook is and sees him in conversation with Namjoon. They look tense, very serious and he makes a mental note to ask about it later.

He looks toward the bathroom and lets out a sigh as he returns his attention to the dancefloor. Suddenly a stranger with a drink in his hand is too close for comfort, Taehyung attempts to turn back to the bar counter, but the guy moves faster.

“Are you alone, pretty boy?”

! Taehyung thinks. He doesn’t’ want to attract attention and yet here he is.

“Uh, no. Sorry.” He replies and wishes for Jungkook to turn and see, to come to pick him up. “I’m just waiting for my friends from the bathroom.” He adds, tapping his fingers against the counter more urgently.

He has nothing to worry about because the bar owner, who is also bartending at the moment gives them a look and he signals, making him feel a little safer. He moves closer as if to ask what is wrong and Taehyung signals that he does not want the guy near him.

“What can I get you, lad?” the bartender asks and notices glass in the guy’s hand. “Oh, you already have your drink?”

“Ah, yeah. Actually, I’m about to ask this pretty one here if I could get him something to drink.”

Crap. Taehyung carefully moves his feet so he can reach the floor in case something happens, and he has to run. He keeps his composure though and checks the man out.

His reddened face indicates that the guy is already well on his way to being totally drunk and Taehyung knows to be careful of doing anything to provoke the man.

“I don’t drink.” He says, shaking his head. He silently thanks them when he sees Somi and Saeron come from the bathroom. “And here are my friends now, so if you’ll excuse –“

“Wait!” the guy has his hand on Taehyung’s wrist and suddenly, Taehyung feels his heart speed up in fear. “I asked you what you would like to drink, and I’ll buy it for you.”

“And I told you, I don’t drink. So let go of me or I’m calling the guards on you.” He says in a low but stern voice. But to his surprise, the guy only laughs as if he’s hearing a joke. “What the fuc –“

“Hey, I think I heard my friend says no.” Saeron butts in, putting a hand on the guy’s arm. “Let him go. He’s not getting drinks with you mist –“

Everything happens so fast and before he knows it, Saeron is slumped on the floor.

“Saeron!” Taehyung screams and finally lands both feet on the ground as he pushes the drunken guy away. The push is hard enough to make the guy move back a few steps, allowing him space to tend to Saeron who’s tenderly touching her hurt cheek. “Oh my gosh, are you okay?!”

“Y-Yeah.” She says but the tears in her eyes say otherwise. “This douchebag is really going to get it. More importantly, did he hurt you, Taehyung-ssi?”

"No, he didn't and –“

Before he can finish his sentence, a body hits the floor making them both stare in surprise.

“You , you don’t even know what no means.”

Taehyung and Saeron look up at Somi who bends to pick up her and Saeron’s pouch bags from the floor.

“Did you just… land a kick to his face, Jeon Somi?”

“Yes, I did! He ing punched you, Sae!” she says and crouches beside Taehyung. “Are you both okay?” she asks and noticing her cousins rushing from the second floor. “Good thing I knocked him out before Jungkook gets here, otherwise he’d be dead. I knew coming here was a bad idea!”

“I was supposed to kick him though?” Saeron argues, slowly standing back up with Taehyung’s help.

“This isn’t a competition of Who’s quicker at landing kicks on douche’s faces?” Somi jokes as she hands her friend her bag. “He’s so ing getting it. See my cousin’s face? He’s about to kick everyone out –“

“What the is happening here?!” Jungkook shouts, tearing Taehyung away from Saeron and Somi to check if he’s injured in any way. The DJ stopped the music and everyone’s attention is focused on them. “ baby, are you okay? This is why I can’t leave you alone in places like this!” he says, scanning his wrist before looking up into his eyes. “You’re not hurt?”

“No. I’m fine. Saeron is the one who’s hurt and –“ with that, Jungkook turns to Saeron who's kicking the guy’s limp body. He’s been knocked out by Somi’s kick so she’s just getting in a bit of revenge. “- she’s the one who got hurt by butting in… you should check –“

Namjoon helps to tie the guy’s hands behind his back as they are joined by the rest of their party.

Jungkook throws a sharp glare at the owner and the security, but Taehyung squeezes his hand and it makes him loosen up a bit.

“Taehyung! What the happened?!” Jimin pulls Taehyung from Jungkook to check on him when he also sees Saeron.

Taehyung explains everything to their friends while still watching Jungkook pull Saeron away from the guy so she could face him.

“Sae, are you okay? –“ he gasps as he notices the red swelling on her face. “, your cheek – I’m so sorry, Sae… I wanted you to have a great experience, not this –“

“Hey, it’s okay you idiot!” she smacks Jungkook’s head with her hand playfully. “Would you rather have Taehyung get hurt?” Jungkook is silenced with that, making her giggle. “I’d also rather not. He’s important to you so that makes him important to me too. I’m okay, Jungkook.”

All of them hear that. Jimin feels most guilty watching Saeron and Jungkook.

“But you got hurt –“

“I was kind of asking for it when I grasped his wrist like that.”

“But he didn’t have to hurt you!” Jungkook argues. “That was such a stupid move, Saeron.”

“I know but it kept our friends safe so it’s our win, right?”

“Saeron –“

“Jungkook, enough,” Saeron lets out a tired smile towards Jungkook who still has that sharp look in his eyes. “I’m okay and Taehyung-ssi is safe. Your cousin landed a sharp kick to his face so we’re even – he’s even knocked out!” she exclaims and then turns to Taehyung. “Aren’t we here to get wasted? Let’s do just that now, shall we?”

She takes Jungkook’s wrist to lead him back to their room and leaves the bar owner and his security to take care of the trouble maker. Saeron stops in front of Taehyung, who’s still guiltily looking down at his feet because he can’t believe someone got hurt because of him, and hands Jungkook over to him by taking his left hand and making him clasp Jungkook’s right one.

“You two better calm down. I’m okay. Stop guilt tripping yourself already and let’s just have fun.”  With that, Somi and Saeron take the stairs to go back to their booked room. Somi hands Saeron a soothing gel from the first aid kit the bar owner gave her.

The two hold hands and silently follow their friends who are, of course, still in a bit of shock over what happened. Taehyung feels he’s at fault, if he allowed Jungkook to accompany him downstairs earlier, none of it would have happened.

The tightening of Taehyung’s hold makes Jungkook squeeze back as if telling him that everything is okay now, but it doesn’t make Taehyung feel any better.

Saeron is a good girl but here he is, thinking the worst of her. He feels like he’s been unfair for not allowing her a chance to become close with them, even Jimin hated her.

“You may think that you’re a bad person right now…” they midway up the stairs. Jungkook tucks his hair behind his ears and bops his nose cutely. “…your thoughts are so loud that I can hear them, Tae… and I know you’re thinking that you’re a bad person but no, you aren’t. You know, the reason why I let Saeron call me the nickname you’ve given me, is because I knew that once you two met, you’d like her. I believed you wouldn’t mind her calling me that just like how you don’t mind some of our friends calling me that because you’d like her eventually.”

“Why do you think so?”

“Because she’s nice, Tae. She really is. Despite me being older, she always makes me feel like I’m younger than her and I need to be taken care of. Right now, I know that the reason why you possibly, well, don’t like her is because of me… Jimin and the others might think that way too. I’m not going to deny that she’s affectionate with me, but it’s mainly because I let her. I allow her to be affectionate with me. I know right now it’s different because I’m working things out with you and everything with her has to stop and it’s the very reason why I said okay when you told me to stop her from calling me the nickname you’ve given me and I will talk to her about that sooner rather than later but – looking at her now, I think she knows even without me telling her.” Jungkook watches Saeron with Somi as they enter the room. “She knows so much even without being told, Tae.”

“I’m not trying to defend her and make you feel worse," Jungkook says quickly with a smile. "I just want you to give her a chance to become your friend because she's really a good one. Don't let her involvement with me stand in the way of you getting to know someone who is more like you than you think.…”

“… just like me?”

“Yes, a really good person.”

Taehyung stays quiet and lets Jungkook lead him back upstairs to the room.

--

“Why did you do that?” Jin fails to stop Jimin from asking Saeron, who is now being tended to by Somi. Her cheek is pretty swollen, and it still makes everyone feel a little mad.

Jimin tries, of course, he does. He doesn't want to talk to her, but she protected his best friend. If it wasn’t for Saeron, Taehyung could’ve been the one who was hurt. Call him a bad guy, but it just doesn’t sit right with him. It’s suspicious. It makes him feel like she is plotting something. Like she’s just being kind to Taehyung because of Jungkook and if that is the case, he would rather not have her anywhere near his best friend.

"Tell me why you did that," Jimin demands when Saeron merely stares at him in silence.

“Yah, Jimin-ah.” Jin, again, tries to pull Jimin away from Saeron but the younger doesn’t budge.

“I need to know if she’s just being nice with Tae because of Jungkook! You heard her back there too, hyung!” Jimin snaps, eyes still glued to Saeron. “She said she did that because Tae is important to Jungkook! That sounds so wrong to me! It’s as if –“

 “I am surprised by your question Jimin-ssi and the emotion behind it.” She says while calmly staring him straight in the eye. “I should think that as Taehyung’s best friend, you would know exactly why I did what I did. Jungkook is my best friend and you are right, I did do it for his sake. For Jungkook, Taehyung is the most important person in his life, and therefore he is important to me as well because Jungkook’s happiness is one of my main priorities.” Still calmly staring at him, she smirks. “Your question, Jimin-ssi is as illogical as the baseless hate you carry towards me. That goes for the rest of you as well." She says roaming her eyes around the room. It is difficult to gauge if her words had any impact since they are all blankly staring at her. Except for Jimin who seems to be even madder.

“What did you just say?” Yoongi has to throw an arm around his boyfriend to hold him back and Somi, who has just finished placing a band-aid on the cut on Saeron’s cheek; places herself slightly in front of her friend, just in case something should happen. Saeron however, seems unphased.

“I said Jimin-ssi, that your question is stupid, unless, you don’t really care for Taehyung-ssi as much as you would expect from a best friend.” She taps her index finger on her bottom lip in a playful thinking gesture which belies the anger she is trying to suppress. Not that she’s not enjoying getting Jimin all worked up for no reason. She takes a deep breath before continuing.

“While we are on the subject, please allow me to speak my mind. You are all hating on me for coming back to Korea by Jungkook’s side, assuming that I am the reason Jungkook cut off all communication with Taehyung. Well, assumption, as they say, made asses of all of you because not one of you bothered to find out that there has never been anything more than friendship between Jungkook and I. We were never together.” She briefly glances at everyone before focusing back on Jimin. “Not only that, but I think you all underestimate the depth of Jungkook’s love for Taehyung if you think he is capable of replacing Taehyung with someone else.”

“If there is any hating to be done here, Jimin-ssi, I should be the one hating on all of you. Because, while you were all here to dote on and support Taehyung through the whole ordeal, Jungkook had no-one to support him but me...” Her breathing is becoming erratic now as she suddenly struggles to hold back the emotion burning in the back of her eyes. “Never, not once during all those years did any one of you bother to pick up a phone or anything, to ask how Jungkook was doing. Was he okay, was he coping? No. Because you all blame him for what Taehyung went through, you failed to realize that he was going through the exact same thing. What he did wasn't easy. He was as broken as the love of his life.”

Jimin deflates a little. “Would it be so easy for you to forgive if you were in my shoes and your best friend ended up in the hospital as a consequence of what he did? You weren’t there, Saeron.”

“Funny Jimin-ssi, how you were the only one to help him with all those phone calls so he could talk and sing to Taehyung. To me, that’s proof that you had already forgiven him.”

Jimin thinks he is beginning to understand how similar they are, both protective of their best friends.

“And you weren’t there to see Jungkook’s side too, Jimin-ssi.”

“What are you standing around for?” Jungkook asks effectively cutting the conversation as he and Taehyung finally enter the room and everyone settles down.

Namjoon, however, is deep in thought searching his memory of the last five years to see whether he had missed any signs, indications that Jungkook had indeed suffered as much as Taehyung. He remembers talking to Misun and her enquiring about Taehyung's condition. In hindsight, she might have implied that Jungkook was in a similar state. The only difference being that Jungkook was awake as opposed to Taehyung who was unconscious and hospitalized. Or was he?

He watches his cousin who is settling Taehyung to sit beside him. Was Jungkook hospitalized in Canada? If so when? Since he was awake and talking to an unconscious Taehyung over the phone.

It wasn’t soon after he stopped communicating with Taehyung. He remembers having conversations with Jungkook during that time. He even remembers asking Jungkook why he did it, but he never got an answer.

He watches the way Jungkook’s eyes glow as he looks at Taehyung and wonders what really happened to him in Canada. Saeron’s words ring through his mind because she is right, none of them were there for Jungkook.

“Hey, Namjoon…” He hears Yoongi beside him but continues to watch his cousin in confusion.

“Did you ask Jungkook how he was during that time?”

The question makes him turn to Yoongi. “What?”

“Do you think Hoseok asked Jungkook how he was?”

“What are you on about, Yoong… i?” he stops. Yoongi meets his eyes and it sinks in just how true Saeron’s words were.

Did anyone ever ask Jungkook how he was?

--

It’s getting late and Jungkook is discussing the possibilities for the project Namjoon wants to lead overseas. His eyes however are totally focused on Taehyung, watching his every move. Despite his pure intentions when they arrived earlier in the evening, Taehyung is in fact quite drunk. Regardless, Jungkook is enjoying watching him and Jimin singing loudly on a makeshift stage within the VIP lounge. He smiles as the two of them laugh gregariously at some inside joke. If they weren’t in this room they probably would have been kicked out by now. At the moment, Jungkook is happier than he's been in a while because he may be drunk but the man in front of him right now is the playful Taehyung he fell in love with so long ago.

He glances briefly at Namjoon and Yoongi to show that he is still following their conversation and finds Taehyung stood in front of him when he turns back. He quickly places his drink on the coffee table behind Taehyung and looks up into sleepy eyes fixedly gazing down at him and somehow he knows what's coming. He's surprised that Taehyung is still awake, he knows from experience that it doesn't take long after the alcohol kicks in. Yet, here he is dancing and singing wildly with Jimin just a moment ago.

He takes Taehyung’s hand to guide him to sit next to him on the couch, but the older makes himself comfortable in Jungkook’s lap, securing his arms tightly around his neck. It’s as if he is asking to be kissed and Jungkook almost leans in to do just that but is stopped when Taehyung loosens his hold around his neck to hold his face with both his hands.

“I miss you so much... Do you know that?” Taehyung hiccups cutely making Jungkook want to smile but he only holds Taehyung closer, not minding the stares from the rest of their party. “I freaking miss you so much... and I really want to kiss you right now... so badly. Why haven’t you kissed me yet?” Taehyung’s eyes are still boring into his and he can see the tears welling up inside them. But instead of waiting for an answer, Taehyung closes his eyes and nuzzles his face into Jungkook’s neck, leaving the latter with their friends staring at them weirdly.

It is common knowledge that one tends to be more honest when you are drunk and perhaps for a brief moment they witnessed Taehyung’s true feelings – not that he hasn’t been honest about it before, just perhaps not as open.

"Should I call for a driver? I don't think you'll be able to drive that shuttle back to the mansion with your hands are full of Taehyung." Jin, says while moving to gently caress Taehyung’s cheek. "He's such a lightweight. I thought he's totally okay when he didn't faint the instant the alcohol kicked in."

Jungkook doesn’t say anything and allows Namjoon to call the house and request a driver to pick them up. Jungkook fixes Taehyung's legs around his waist and tightens the latter's hold around his neck. Taehyung's weight, despite being taller, will always be too light for Jungkook.

--

“You are back.” Misun and Jihyun greet them at the door. Jungkook spots Sejin and Jongwan just close behind as he carries Taehyung on his back. “Is Taehyung okay?” Jihyun continues, checking her son’s face which is red due to the alcohol.

“He just passed out.” He replies, moving past her. “Sorry, I failed to watch what he consumes. I think he accidentally downed one of the strong drinks on our table, it knocked him a bit.”

"Oh," Jihyun exclaims, before pulling away from examining her son. “I’ll get warm water and a towel ready.”

“Thanks. I’ll take him to my room.”

“Okay. Should I take out a change of clothes?”

“No, I don’t think it’s necessary since he went out with his pajamas. He hasn’t been sick so…”

“Okay, I’ll be right behind you.”

The situation they find themselves in right now, as compared to what they used to have before, makes him feel all jittery inside. Maybe, just maybe, things will right themselves to the way they are supposed to be. Though they have to wait for it a little longer for him and Taehyung.

Quite honestly, a few days with Taehyung after missing out on his company for five years, feels like healing to him. Like he’s found a cure to some incurable disease that’s been eating away at him since the day he left Korea to find himself.

Jokes on him though, for he’s come to realize now that the only way for him to find himself is to be with Taehyung.

The moonlight streaming in through the windows illuminate Jungkook’s room enough to not make use of lights. As soon as he’s laid Taehyung down on his bed, he opens the balcony doors allowing the breeze from outside to circulate fresh air through the room, cooling it. The light the moon emits went through the windows in Jungkook’s room. As soon as he tucked Taehyung to his bed, he opened the door to his balcony, allowing the wind to get inside his room. The air conditioner isn’t open yet, so for just a little while, he wanted the natural wind to make the room cold.

He’s genuinely missed this place immensely and to find himself here now with his family, his friends and more importantly, Taehyung, feels like a dream. As if this big mansion holds everything that is dear to his heart making him feel warm all over like he's finally home.

Closing the door to the balcony, he powers up the A/C and stays a little while to watch Taehyung sleep in his bed. He’s happy that Taehyung is sleeping so peacefully and the affection he feels as he watches him sleep makes him gently brush the bangs from his face. Taehyung has always been so silent when he sleeps, he doesn’t snore and he definitely needs something to hold, to sleep well. Right now, it’s his other pillow. Thankfully it will suffice for now.

“Are you okay, Jungkook?” Jihyun asks as she leans in, wiping Taehyung’s face with a warm damp towel.

He starts because he didn’t even realize she was there.

“Yeah… I am. I’m still sober so…”

“I don’t mean that, silly.” Jihyun has a smile on her lips that Jungkook never expects to see. “I’m asking if you have been okay since you came back.”

“Oh…” he stands silently but smiles. He’s gotten used to people not being interested in asking how he’s feeling, so this is kind of new. Then again, it’s Jihyun asking and she’s been making a habit of surprising him in this way. Maybe it runs in their family, being perceptive about other people’s feelings.  She’d been occasionally asking after him through his own mother, since the day he left. “I am… it really is how you said, Jihyun-ssi.”

“I told you so… well, you took your time finding your way back home.”

“I did…”

“But I’m sure everyone is glad that you’re back here with us now, Jungkook.”

Some don’t really understand, but if there is anyone who should be happy right now, it should be Jungkook. He found his way back home after five years and those left behind were still there, awaiting his return.

“I’m still surprised you weren’t mad at me, Jihyun-ssi… I kind of expected you to be the one who is most angry with me.”

“After knowing what you’ve been through? I can’t see myself hating you. You went through hard times just like Taehyung did. I would have been if you hadn’t learned from it, but here you are… fighting for your place back in my Taehyung's life, admitting your mistakes and fixing it. That’s the most important thing for me. I think you’ve suffered enough, already, Jungkook. Unless of course, you hurt my Taehyung, then it will be a different matter entirely.”

He chuckles lowly, finding the threat humorous. “You know that will never happen.”

“Of course, I do.” She places the towel back into the small basin and smiles at Jungkook after getting up from kneeling beside the bed. “You better sleep too. Don’t you have some big stuff going on tomorrow?”

“Yes, I’ll be out too.”

Jihyun is about to reach for the door handle when he hears her say it.

“Welcome home, Jungkook”

Hearing the welcome from the most unexpected person, only makes the meaning more profound.

“… I’m home.”

Taehyung is his home. The person occupying his bed is his home. The idea may never come to Taehyung but those large beautiful hands of his holds almost Jungkook’s entire world, like it always belonged there. Like he’s always belonged to Taehyung since the first day they met.

And it’s funny because he never thought the person he felt all unwanted feelings inside him for, is the very same person to make him feel like he’s okay now that he’s home.

He expected Taehyung to be mad, he expected a cold shoulder, hateful glares, and toxic arguments, but it never came, simply because it’s Taehyung. Of course, there was some shouting and a lot of crying but, Taehyung never really pushed him away. Instead, he asked to understand him, just like how he found his way into Jungkook’s life back then. Taehyung always asked him and found answers for him, even before. Taehyung always finds ways to understand people, he’s always been that good to everyone.

To let someone as amazing as Taehyung go, hurt Jungkook more than anything else in his life ever could, but he had to do it. He inflicted the pain upon himself, he made himself suffer, it was entirely his fault.

They say there is always that one stupid mistake that changes everything. This was his one stupid mistake.

He smiles sadly as he watches Taehyung turn to the other side of the bed, blanket almost entirely kicked off his body already.

“I regret those times when I’ve chosen the dark side… I’ve wasted enough time.” Jungkook whispers, leaning down to Taehyung’s ear, tears leaving his eyes as he gently holds Taehyung’s head to keep him still. “And maybe this is what it cost me when I didn’t follow my heart, Tae… because I spent my last five years wishing I had…”

In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.

He's about to turn and go to the bathroom to wash up when Taehyung stirs and looks at him.

“Kookie…”

He stops, immediately darting back to where Taehyung is.

“Hey, sleepy head.” He greets., thumbing Taehyung’s cheek. “You should sleep more. It’s already pretty late.”

“Where are you off to?”

“To wash up, then I’m going to sleep in my office. You can keep this room.”

“But…” Taehyung sits up, taking hold of one of Jungkook’s hands. “this is your room. I can’t just stay here and kick you out.”

Déjà vu. Jungkook thinks to himself but doesn’t voice it.

“There’s no way I’d let you sleep on the couch in my office, Tae.” He says and lays his hand on Taehyung’s head. “Just sleep here and I’ll be the first one you’ll see tomorrow.”

He makes Taehyung lay back down before pulling the covers up to his chest and patting his head gently one last time before smiling down at him to say good night.

He’s about to leave the room when hears Taehyung speak, stopping him in his tracks.

“I think it’s you who needs to forgive yourself, Kookie…”

Taehyung’s words sink into his head. It tells him that he heard him.

“At that time when you decided to cut all communication with me, thinking that it would help me to be happy... You made that decision based on the information available to you. You did that because you put my happiness first. You’re selfless like that, always thinking of my best interests. At the time, you didn’t know it was wrong.” he can hear rustling from the bed as if Taehyung is leaving it to come to him. “The result is that it made us both stronger, Kookie. It made us realize what it is we truly want. And… it didn’t change everything between us… because in the end, we still only want each other. That is one thing our separation never changed.”

“Five years of being away from each other made us grow, Jungkook… it helped us to gain understanding. We learned how to make better choices because of it, not only for ourselves but for those we truly care for. Forgive yourself, Kookie... let go of the past and just come back to me..."

He’s crying, the shaking of his shoulders prompting Taehyung to get up and slowly move toward him.

“You’re home now, Kookie… Look at me.” Jungkook only cries harder, his sobs getting louder.

“You know… during the last five years, I could only sleep well when I spent the night in one of your beds. When I slept in my own bed, I always ended up having nightmares... So now, when you are here, do you really think I’d let the chance for an amazing nights rest, slip through my fingers?”

He can hear soft footfalls before he feels Taehyung wrap his arms around his waist, laying his head perfectly against his shoulder.

“Let’s go to bed… alright, Kookie?” Taehyung asks and guides him toward the bed, wrapping him up in those loving arms of his.

--

She leaves her room, all dressed and ready to depart at any time. It is still too early for her to be awake, but she realized that she could always explore the mansion a little more while waiting.

She silently exits the sliding doors leading to the wide backyard, declining the offer of tea by one of the maids who are already industriously preparing breakfast for everyone.

This is the kind of place she would definitely want to live in; she’s already in love with its beauty and tranquility. Jungkook is really lucky to call a place like this home.

She smiles to herself as she goes back inside, this time requesting her morning tea and making her way directly to the dining hall.

“Are you waking everyone up?” she inquires. “Should I go?”

“No need Miss Saeron.” The maid smiles kindly at her. “Young master Jungkook is already awake. Young master Yeonjun jumped on them quite early to wake them up.” The maid smiles fondly. “It was quite a sight.”

“I’m sure it was. Let me guess, Yeonjunie has wedged himself in between him and Taehyung now?”

The maid keeps her smile as she nods, and it makes Saeron feel warm inside. At least Jungkook is happy now, maybe there’s no need for her to worry so much anymore? She should apologize for snapping at Jimin last night that was rude of her. But, she got a lot off her chest and she is even more certain now that Jungkook’s cousins and friends have no idea what he went through while in Canada.

She brings the teacup to her lips for her first sip of tea...

"Oh, good morning! Are you the only one awake?"

Thank God for her fast reflexes, the teacup is saved from crashing to the ground when she reflexively put returns it to the saucer.

"Ah, sorry for surprising you like that," Hoseok says in all his sunshiny glory. "I decided to come a day early since my sister no longer needs my help in her business. I have things to discuss with Namjoon and Yoongi about our soon to launch entertainment business as well, but I think neither of them are awake yet.” Hoseok slings his jacket onto the back of a chair. "I think Jungkook is up since he's the one that arranged for me to be brought here from the hotel."

"I, uh, I wouldn't know... I —" she's stuttering like an idiot right in front of her crush! Hah! She may be appearing like she's composed but she’s really internally screaming. Jung Hoseok just happened. "I just woke up myself... but yeah, the maids say he's awake."

"I see. I guess I'll just wait here with you, then."

!. "Uh, sure. Um, do you want me to ask them to fix you something to drink while we wait for breakfast?"

"Nah, it's fine. I had breakfast at the hotel."

"What time did you even get here?" She asks, praising herself for not stuttering.

"My plane landed at 4:00am. But, I've been here at the mansion since around 5:00am. The staff at the hotel would not shuttle me to the mansion unless a family member confirmed that they were expecting me. I bought myself breakfast while I waited. Jungkook instructed them to charge the meal to him and to send a hotel driver to drop me off, so now I'm here." He explains cheerfully. "I’ve never been here, you know. So, may I ask, how have you found your stay so far? I have to admit though, all the pictures in the brochures and on the website does not do it enough justice."

"They don't." She beams. "It's one hell of a lost paradise, really."

"It should be. So, how's your stay so far?"

Saeron finds herself talking to Hoseok in a composed manner; he’s unknowingly managed to calm her down. The times she’s met him before made her think that Hoseok is rather reserved, like he thinks deeply before he speaks, and she could tell what a great person he is. That, and the fact that he's the only one who ever asked Jungkook how he was doing, has helped to endear him to her on a level above that of mere friendship. Of course, all those times she’s met him before were through video while he and Jungkook Facetimed, so the party when they arrived back in Korea was the first time she had seen him in person and my god, was he beautiful. Not gonna lie, he made her knees weak. This however, is the first opportunity she's ever had of being alone with him.   

"I know Jimin is probably giving you a hard time, I'm sorry about that."

She looks up at Hoseok who is already looking at her with sincere eyes.

"But you have to understand that Jungkook has been away for five years, it's technically made him a stranger to most of us. So, for him to come back with a stranger by his side was a bit of a shock to us, you know?"

"You don't have to apologize, Hoseok-ssi. I understand. I just hope everyone opens their eyes long enough to see that it clearly wasn't only Taehyung that was hurt by what happened."

"Jungkook kind of did it to them, though.  And please, just Hobi is fine." He pouts, almost making her swoon right there.

"The one who made the decision is always to be blame, huh?" She gives him a sad smile. "I guess it's just natural to have less sympathy for him."

"You can't take it away from people to feel the way they do."

"But you know how Jungkook is, right? You're his best friend after all."

Hoseok only smiles at her. "I wasn't for five years. So I wouldn't know."

"But still —"

"I see you guys are close now."

Their attention is diverted to the stairs where Jungkook looks like he just woke up, with droopy eyes and hair sticking up everywhere. There's that playful smile on his lips however, that makes the heat rush to her face.

"How's your flight to here, hyung?"

"Fine. I'm a little sleepy though. Also, the staff gave me your room at the hotel."

"I know. I gave them your name and told them to expect you over the weekend. It was supposed to be Tae's room but I was pretty confident that he'd be rubber armed into staying here with us."

He takes a seat across from Saeron and gives her a sly smile. "Good morning indeed, huh Sae?"

She feels herself blush even harder. "Shut up."

"How's your cheek?"

"Oh it's —"

"I've been meaning to ask why you have Band-Aid on your cheek. Did something happen? Did you fall or something?" Hoseok is quick to ask.

"Some douche punched her last night and —"

"WHAT?! DID YOU HAVE HIM ARRESTED?"

“Is that you, Hoseok-hyung?” Taehyung asks quietly as he makes his way down the stairs with a very cute Yeonjun trailing behind, tightly holding on the hem of Taehyung's pyjamas.

“Crazy hyungie.” Yeonjun speaks softly too, eyes instantly widening as soon as he spots one of his favorite hyungies.

"Good morning, sleepyheads." Hoseok greets, forgetting about Saeron for a moment, at least that's what Jungkook and Saeron think until the other turns back to them. "Did you have that douche arrested?"

Jungkook is a little taken back but answers nonetheless. “Uh, yeah. We did, don’t worry… And he's probably off the island by now.”

That’s all there is to say because Yeonjun is running excitedly towards Hoseok.

“Careful, Yeonjunie! We don’t want you falling now, do we?” Hoseok laughs waiting for him with open arms.

Jungkook looks at Saeron and smiles – she’s so freaking in love, he has to about it later.

Taehyung sees that and raises his eyebrows as realization dawns.

"Hey, Hoseok-hyung…" Taehyung says and they all turn to him, the smile evident on his lips as he looks at Saeron teasingly. She flushes even more deeply when she recognises that somehow he found out.

“You’re single now, aren’t you?” Taehyung continues.

“Yeah, why? You got someone for me?”

Taehyung hums and winks at Jungkook who quickly gets it. "Jungkook might have someone for you… right, Kookie?"

I hate them, oh my god.

"I guess I do… right, Sa –“

“Shut the fuc – fudge up!” she quickly changes her explicit word as she sees Yeonjun beaming at her curiously. “I’ll go find Somi!” She shouts as she runs up the stairs in embarrassment.

“Somi’s room is on the other side!” she hears Jungkook shout.

THE AUDACITY!

"Is she okay?" Is the last thing she hears from Hoseok before she's out of earshot and rushing into her room, quickly closing the door behind her. Morning tea, completely forgotten.

--

A/N: Thoughts anyone?