13: Need You Now

OUR PREDESTINED END

A/N: OH MY GOSH! IF I DID NOT VISIT AFF, I WOULDN'T KNOW THAT I DID NOT UPLOAD CHAPTER 13 HERE!!! AND IT'S BEEN MONTHS SINCE I'VE POSTED IT IN AO3!!! OMG I'M SO SORRY EVERYONE!!! But here it is. Please enjoy and same as always, tell me what you think by leaving a comment for me to read. THANK YOU! And again, I'm sorry! <3

--

The meeting between Chanyeol and Jungkook happens a week after Taehyung asked the heir to make time for it. As much as Jungkook wanted to entertain it earlier, he just couldn’t find the time to accommodate it, but thankfully, he only needed to cancel one appointment to make it possible. So, now he’s getting out of his car, Taehyung beside him, ready to meet Baekhyun and Chanyeol in the cozy restaurant the latter suggested.

At first, they wanted to push through with that fake anniversary party, but due to some personal reasons from both sides, it couldn’t be done, much to Baekhyun and Taehyung’s dismay. Their CEOs are understandably busy, so they just settled for a breakfast double date (according to Baekhyun).

“They’re already here,” Taehyung says while looking at his wristwatch. “We are a few minutes late.”

“Is that bad? Are they going to scold us for it?”

“Never. Funny how you think they will scold us when they’re the ones who asked for this meeting.” Taehyung fixes the heir’s tie and pats his shoulder as a sign of encouragement. “My CEO, ever so humble, huh?” Jungkook grins at him and shrugs his shoulders, making Taehyung smile even wider.

To no-one’s surprise, Jeon Jungkook is known here, and they are immediately led to a luxurious private room.

“I’m impressed,” Jungkook exclaims. “This Park Chanyeol never settles for less, just like us, huh?”

“He wants this so bad. He’ll give it his all.”

They step through the double doors, and Baekhyun is immediately on his feet while Chanyeol drops a call as soon as he spots them. The couples smile at each other warmly. Taehyung runs to Baekhyun and hugs the older, while the two very alpha-like CEOs shake hands.

“A pleasure to finally see you, Mr. Jeon.”

“Oh please, drop the formalities. I’m meeting you today as a friend and as requested by Tae. No need to be too formal with me.”

“Okay then, Jungkook.” Chanyeol beams a smile, and for a second, both heirs forgot they’re accompanied. “Oh, I almost forgot, you already met my other half, Byun Baekhyun. I didn’t get to meet you then, because I had some business to attend to.”

“Of course, Baekhyun.” He offers the older a firm handshake.

Baekhyun gives Jungkook a smile today, compared to the first time they met. Baekhyun was guarded then, but today he’s welcoming. If it’s because of his boyfriend’s and Jungkook’s potential new partnership, he’s not sure.

“Nice to see you again.”

“Back at you, Jeon.” Jungkook is taken aback when Baekhyun pulls him in for a hug, but after a few seconds, he hugs him back. Taehyung smiles at him for that. “I thought you’d be putting us on hold for a long time. I guess this is Taehyung’s power over you, huh?”

The younger heir chuckles and pulls Taehyung to his side, who in turn, circles his arms around him as soon as Baekhyun lets go. “I guess you could say that, but I am also intrigued by what you have for me, so… shall we begin?”

“Business as usual attitude – I like that.”

They discuss details as they eat, and Jungkook can say that he’s having fun meeting another person in Taehyung’s life. He can tell just by looking, why Taehyung likes the guy. Park Chanyeol has a great sense of humor, but his duality surprises Jungkook. One moment he will be joking around, and the next, he will turn severe and competitive.

He also observes that Baekhyun acts so much like Jimin towards Taehyung. He looks after the younger, like giving him the pancakes with his favorite syrup to top it. He is reminded that Taehyung is loved by so many. And again, Jungkook is thankful that these people were around Taehyung during the time when he wasn’t.

“So, now that is over, and we have the deal – I heard Namjoon and Jin are finally getting married. Where was it again, Hon? Norway?”

Baekhyun nods, giving Taehyung more strawberries than usual on his plate. “As far as I can remember, Jin mentioned it’ll be in Norway, during our phone call earlier this week.”

Jungkook and Taehyung nod in confirmation. “Guests will be staying in our hotel there. I guess it’s safe to say that they will spend their honeymoon there also. Namjoon is so in love with that country.”

“He’s in love with all the countries he goes to.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes upon saying that because after being friends with Namjoon, he knows especially his love for nature and traveling – actually, just wherever he is, he’ll surely fall in love with the place. “By the way, I’m curious as to what made you decide to be business partners with us?”

“Why are you suddenly back to business talk?” Chanyeol groans beside his lover, but he is quite curious himself. Jungkook is known to be very busy, even when he just came back. If you were to look at his schedule, it’s almost as if the young CEO didn’t want to accommodate anyone. He is known for sticking to his calendar to the exclusion of anything else, so for him to consider them, and so quickly, piques their curiosity. “But seriously, what got you saying yes to meeting with us today?”

Jungkook leans back in his seat and looks at the couple before him, then back to Taehyung, who is happily eating his dessert. “Well, to be honest, when Namjoon first came to me regarding this matter, I immediately shut it out by saying we don’t need another partnership, because we are prioritizing Yoongi’s newly founded business, which happens to be similar to yours. We wanted to, as much as possible, support that new addition to our empire, so any potential partnerships in a similar vein was blocked immediately.” He turns to look at Taehyung, who only smiles a little before continuing with his strawberries, eyes softening, which doesn’t go unnoticed by the older couple. It makes Baekhyun hold onto Chanyeol’s thigh so hard that the latter almost yelps.

“But Taehyung came to me with a portfolio on your business and what you have to offer. As I went through it, I realized that we could give it a go with a different approach, using the bakeries instead of the bars.  It’s a plus that Tae adores your bakery’s sweets and all. He gave me everything I needed to consider this partnership.”

“So, it’s all because of Tae.” Baekhyun teases and looks at his friend’s flushed face.

Taehyung knows, and he almost feels bad that he’s a significant factor in why Jungkook even considered this partnership with Chanyeol, but imagining Chanyeol’s business blending so well with Jungkook’s – he simply could not just let such a fantastic opportunity pass.

“He likes pleasing me, so if it can make me happy then… yeah.” Taehyung grins at Baekhyun, trying to act like he isn’t affected at all. “But seriously, it’s because he sees the potential in it, don’t give me all the credit.”

“Oh, come on, Tae. We all know very well just how much of Jeon Jungkook you hold.” Baekhyun teases further, making even the heir of JGC smile because there’s no way he can deny that fact. “Anyway, our anniversary will be held earlier – and no, I’m not trying to do this just because – Channie has some scheduled on that day and I have to go with him, so we can’t actually celebrate our anniversary on the very day.”

“Baek, that you are talking about is your scheduled meeting with our wedding coordinator. You asked me to accompany you, remember?”

The two bicker and Taehyung can’t help but feel a little jealous. All his friends are marrying – he is 100% sure that Jimin is next to be proposed to – and here he is, stuck at the beginning, trying to fix something that was broken years ago. But looking at Jungkook right now, maybe it’s okay for him to wish that he will too, be proposed to if things go right the way they want. Speaking of Jungkook, the heir is looking at the couple with a smile on his lips, but it’s kind of a sad one, and he wonders if he is sharing the same thought as Jungkook right now.

“When Jin told me that I should be ready for what I will see when he heard we were meeting you, I never thought I’d see you two as if nothing happened.”

Taehyung watches Chanyeol settle the bill. Jungkook goes out to ask someone to bring his car around and to go to the bathroom. Baekhyun uses the opportunity to address the matter at hand.  He knew the older would sooner or later, so he’s not surprised.

“It’s not like that hyung… I guess this is just us fixing things.” He shrugs, eyes locked with Chanyeol, who is approaching them after paying the bill. “We talked things through and well, this is the outcome of that talk.”

“It’s not like I’m going to scold you about it. Whatever your decision is, this is your relationship, and we have no say in it. But, I can see now why Jin is worried about you and the kid.” Baekhyun leans against Chanyeol’s shoulder and looks at him, also with worried eyes. “It’s just that, I understand you slightly better than Jin does. Jimin spoke to me about this as well, and I’m kind of on his side on this.”

“What are you talking about?” Taehyung furrows his eyebrows in confusion. Jimin talked about this too? “You guys are discussing my problems behind my back?”

“Don’t overthink things, Tae. You’re alright.” The older smiles and runs his fingers through Taehyung’s hair in an attempt to calm him down. “It’s just you being yourself. It’s just your feelings for him that you can’t stop. It’s just so natural for you not to lie to yourself, and that is absolutely okay. Your heart knows the truth all too well.”

“But why do I feel like you still don’t want me back together with him, hyung? I already told you, right? We had that talk before, hyung.”

Baekhyun’s gaze on him hardens as if he has more to say but chooses not to. “I’m sorry if I have given you that impression, but I’m only worried about you. You can’t blame me nor the others for worrying after seeing you at your lowest, Tae. As I’ve said, whatever we feel towards this whole thing between you and your heir is nothing compared to what you are feeling. We can only be worried about you, but that’s it.”

“Baekhyun, leave them alone. I’m sure Taehyung knows what he’s doing.” Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun back beside him. The latter feels sorry as soon as he sees Taehyung biting down his lip, suppressing his feelings, all for him to feel alone. “Look what you’ve done. You’re not helping, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol scolds his fiancé. He also knows what Taehyung went through, and they’ve always been on opposite sides of things, him and Baekhyun. “I know you’re worried, I can’t take that away from you. But, you should’ve stopped when he said that he already talked things through with Jungkook. Your judgment is clouded by the idea of Jungkook’s mistake, to the point that you fail to notice how miserable he also is because of it. You can hate him all you want if he’s not moving to make it up with Tae, but it’s the opposite, right? He admitted his mistakes, felt sorry for it, regretted it, and now he’s here with Tae, trying to fix everything that’s been broken.” Chanyeol scolding Baekhyun has always been so sweet as if he’s not scolding at all. But it’s because it’s like that, that Baekhyun feels guiltier than he could ever be. “I’m not trying to tell you off but, this is their issue, and they’re trying to resolve it on their own. We should let them be, okay, Baek?”

The older contemplates, still worried for his friend, but nodds. “I’m sorry, Tae… I just –“

“Save it, Hyung… please. I don’t want to think anymore.”

Jungkook comes back from the bathroom, telling Tae that their car is in front of the restaurant and that they should go so they can get ready for their meeting after lunch. The heir is oblivious to what just happened, but he can feel the tension from Taehyung, especially when the older hurriedly gets in the car to occupy the passenger seat, leaving him with Chanyeol and Baekhyun who showed them out.

“I said way too much… I’m sorry in advance, Jungkook-ssi.”

“I apologize on my fiancé’s behalf, Jungkook-ssi… sometimes he just runs his mouth non-stop.”

Jungkook looks at the couple with that knowing look in his eyes. He doesn’t have to ask what just happened because judging by the way Taehyung just acted, it’s obvious.

“Did it hurt him?” he asks. “I’m okay if it’s just me but if it hurts Tae –“

“It’s about you, and it hurts him… I’m sorry. I was just – we were just worried for Tae and –“

“Baek.” Chanyeol cuts him off. “Don’t say more than that.”

Jungkook doesn’t say anything for a few seconds, but soon he smiles at them, making Beakhyun feel worse than he already did. “I think I get it now and trust me, it’s okay, Baekhyun-ssi. Whatever you said, that is.” The heir leans against his car and looks up to the sky. “I know that you are just worried about him, so I understand. I’m not going to take that away from you. I have proven myself unworthy for five years, and me coming back doesn’t prove otherwise. I also believe that I am not, but – Taehyung trusts and believes in me… and that’s all I need for me to keep going. It’s what pushes me to not hold my feelings back anymore… all I’m saying is – you can worry about Tae all you want, I’ll thank you forever for it. And, you can hate me all you want, it doesn’t matter anymore… he’s all that matters to me now.”

“It should be.” Chanyeol butts in when Baekhyun appears to be rendered speechless by Jungkook’s words. “Don’t let other people’s opinions of you make you hesitant to win him back. You have to go all out if you want him, Jungkook, and I’m not telling you all this just to win you over because of the partnership we just agreed upon. Just carry on with whatever you are doing and don’t mind anyone else.”

“Thanks, Chanyeol. I needed that.” The younger heir pats the older’s shoulder and gets in the car without looking back at the couple.

Baekhyun is upset and feels terrible about what he just did. Chanyeol pulls his fiancé closer, brushing the bangs from his face before kissing his forehead like he usually does when the other is upset. “They’ll be fine, Baekkie… everything’s going to be okay with them. They’ve got this, okay?” he places a kiss on Baekhyun’s cheek before finally landing a kiss on his lips. “They’ll be okay, Honey.”

They reached JGC without talking, and it’s been fifteen minutes since they’ve arrived, yet Taehyung shows no sign of getting out of the car.

He can’t take it anymore, so he reaches for Taehyung’s face, forcing him to turn and divides his bangs in two. Now he can clearly see how sad and upset the other’s eyes are. All because of him.

“Hey there, beautiful… what’s got you so down? What’s with the long face? You were just excited knowing we’ll get breakfast with your Hyungs. Talk to me? Baby?”

Taehyung only looks at him for a brief second before averting his gaze, though he cannot fully take Jungkook’s hands off his face.

“Baekhyun-hyung probably told you already… you were so slow in getting in the car back there.” He says with his squeezed face.

Jungkook smiles faintly before letting Taehyung go, putting distance between them. “I know it’s something about what he said about us, and most of it is about what he thinks about me for you, but Tae, get it out of your head now, okay? Whatever it is, they just want what’s best for you.”

“And that should be it, right? That’s where they stop. They should just worry about me and wish the best for me… they don’t have to tell me things they know will complicate what’s inside my head because it hurts me. It’s not helping me with my decisions, and it’s – it’s not making me happy.”

The heir doesn’t say anything and lets Taehyung continue talking. “I know, and I understand. I get it. They are worried about me. I am worried about myself too. Hence the hesitation from my side to just get back together with you even though I know how much I want you back... so bad... It’s not like I’m not thinking hard on this because I am, I really am, Kookie… I am considering a lot of things. I’m considering my feelings and yours, too, and how hurt we were and if we are to work despite it all… I’m constantly thinking about it, but they don’t seem to get it. They’re too into thinking how bad you are for me regardless of all the ways you show me how perfect you are for me. That’s what hurts me the most.”

“Tae, don’t cry, please. , I’m so sorry, baby. I’m sorry for making this hard for you –“

“No, this isn’t your fault, Jungkook. Stop blaming yourself! This isn’t your fault alone.” Taehyung clenches his chest, his breathing starting to really worry Jungkook, making him lean forward only for Taehyung to shake his head, telling him he’s okay. “It’s just, everyone is so focused on me and my well-being that no one cares about you, and that hurts me even more – this is so much like what happened to us five years ago. I can’t have that anymore.“

“I only need you to care for me and understand me, Tae. As long as you understand me and as long as you know, I’m okay. It’s good.” Jungkook grasps Taehyung’s hands, squeezes them gently then goes to wipe Taehyung’s tears away. “I only need you to understand, Tae… no one else matters.”

Taehyung shakes his head, not wanting to take in Jungkook’s words because it just feels so wrong for him, and it shouldn’t be that way. But he can’t speak anymore. He’s sobbing now, and it’s scaring Jungkook.

“Listen to me, okay, baby? I know you’re hurting for me and you’re upset for me, but those are your friends caring about you – no, don’t speak yet, I’m not done talking – what I’m saying is, for the five years that I was not here for you, they were. They were the ones who found you, took care of you, and helped you get back on your feet. They will always worry, you can never take that away from them, you know that especially when I’m the reason why you almost –” he cuts his words there, but Taehyung nods in understanding without him having to say anything more, and Jungkook places a kiss on his forehead. “Whatever they say, you’re all that matters to me, so I’m not going to let their words get me… it will sting a little because they will remind me how I am not worthy of you, but those words will keep motivating me to be better, to treat you better than before… I’ll take it positively so, I’m okay, Baby… We’re okay. I already told you, right? I have already toughened my resolve.  I want you back...  time wasn’t right for us the first time around, and it broke us apart... I’m still so sorry for that, Tae.”

“I just wish they knew that the reason I’m giving you this chance is that I believed in us, Kookie… my belief may have shaken a little because of the five years being apart, but – I trust your love for me… because it’s what led you back to me.”  It’s Taehyung’s turn to squeeze Jungkook’s hands, making the heir look his way. “And I’m so thankful that I waited… us, right now, proves to me that second chances are not given to make things right... it is given to prove that we can be better... to stand taller than before. We both deserve it, Kookie… Let’s claim what’s ours, okay? Just give me more time… I’ll come back to you…”

“Yeah…” Jungkook feels his heart wanting to beat out of its cage to Taehyung. There’s just something about Taehyung that makes his heart feel at ease only by being with him and no… he’s not letting this love go again. Not this time, not in this lifetime, not in the next. Not ever again.

“What else is on your mind, Tae?” Jungkook asks after taking off his seatbelt. He’s looking intently at Taehyung, the latter still looking worried about something else, especially by the way he’s nibbling on his lips. “You’re thinking about something else, love. Tell me.”

“I just wonder if we’ll be able to get married too…” he says in a whisper, afraid to look in the younger’s eyes. He knows Jungkook will see right through him, and right now, he’s embarrassed to show his face full of envy to Jungkook. He doesn’t want to come across as too demanding when he’s still so indecisive about his own feelings. It feels wrong.

The way Jungkook is looking at Taehyung at the moment renders him speechless. There is just so much reflected there that he can’t move. It’s warm, it’s loving, it’s raw, and it’s real.... and it’s reassuring.

“If I had proposed to you back then…” Jungkook’s knuckles run gently against Taehyung’s cheek as if he’s carefully tracing his face as he speaks. “Would you have said yes?”

He doesn’t answer, eyes still on Jungkook. “I’ve been dying to know if you would have said yes… I’ve been asking myself the same question ever since Namjoon-hyung proposed to Jin-hyung, or maybe earlier than that. I’ve asked myself the whole time I was not with you. I wondered if we, too, could have the same beautiful smiles on our faces after that question is answered with a yes, after seeing Namjoon and Jin-hyung’s faces…”

“You’ve been thinking about it?” that came out almost like a whisper from Taehyung, but Jungkook nods in reply.

“There’s a lot of questions in my head, Tae – a lot of what-if questions. And I started asking them again that night. The strong feelings I have for you inside me are eating me alive… again. I wanted to ask you the same question so much, but I couldn’t – scared that it might scare you away, and you’d say no – it’s scary… but then you asked me the question I’ve asked myself back at the restaurant with Chanyeol and Baekhyun – would Tae and I be able to get married too if I hadn’t left five years ago? – or something.” He chuckles, but tears leave his eyes, and Taehyung’s heart squeezes painfully, but he knows for himself he’s happy. The mixture of pain and happiness is never the right combination. “And it brings me back to my question – would you have said yes if I had proposed to you back then, Tae?”

Taehyung shakes his head, and Jungkook can feel his world collapse, but he smiles after a few seconds because he knows what Taehyung’s reasons are. “I knew you wouldn’t. But I was kind of hoping you would…”

Thinking about it now, if the truth reached Jungkook later than it did five years ago, they would have ended worse than the way they did. It was futile for both of them five years ago – they were meant to break. It’s the only thing that was right for them back then.

“If we had reached that point back then, you would’ve found out things differently, than the way you did, and it would –“ he stops, afraid to say anything more, and it seems he doesn’t need to, Jungkook understands.

With Taehyung knowing everything about their fathers and him not telling Jungkook – it led them to the end where both had to let go because of broken trust and lies.

“It would have been a different story. Everything we have now would have been different as well. I wonder if we should be happy about it.”

“You would’ve found out the truth in a different way... it would have hurt you more.” Taehyung answers. “It would have hurt us even more. It would have broken us apart in a much more hurtful way. Irreparably so.”

There is silence, but their hands remain clasped as if both are afraid to let go.

“I dreamt of a marriage proposal for you that go beyond what all of them planned for their lovers, Tae.”

Taehyung’s head whips so fast to look at Jungkook, who leans back against his seat again, closing his eyes with a smile, as if he’s trying to recall something from a distant memory. “I dreamt of it, planned it for years… and the only constant with my plans is you. I only want that proposal to be for you… so let’s wait, okay?” the heir meets his tearful eyes. “We’re on our way there, Tae. We’ll live those dreams we had, and we’ll be the happiest. So please don’t feel sad – our happiness may be a little late, but it’s achievable… We’ll get there. Right now, we’re in a healing process – together – but I assure you, I can only see myself with you even in the farthest future.”

“Me too. There’s only you in my future, Kookie.”

“Then, can you smile for me? Your sad face is breaking my heart.”

The signature boxy smile melts Jungkook’s heart. Together, they leave the car and go inside JGC with smiles on their faces, as if the talk they just had wasn’t a serious one.

-

You know what’s fun when the love of your life is a CEO? It’s when he’s in a meeting, and you’re there with him. There’s just no way he can not admire the heir even after seeing him only hours ago. Try getting yourself a Jungkook, and maybe then you can relate to how Taehyung feels. Jungkook looks dashing, Taehyung can’t help but admire the view. He knows what he’s doing is inappropriate, especially since they’re in their monthly meeting, and he has to focus because they’re discussing their monthly progress as an empire, but then his CEO is just so hot.

Not to mention, Jungkook tends to look his way and give him a small smile. Whenever he does that, his heart just goes, boom boom. He was with Jungkook the entire morning, but the heir’s look will always, always captivate him and make him speechless.

Jeon Jungkook is one beautiful lad.

“Now, as we are nearing the groundbreaking of our soon to rise hotel in Malta, I would like the Design Department Head to give insight regarding the project plan. Have you reviewed it, Taehyung?” Namjoon directs at him, and Taehyung can see himself blushing as Jungkook giggles a little when he stumbles in standing up straight to join Namjoon on their makeshift stage in the front.

“We are in the middle of reviewing the whole area with the help of our research team.” He presses the button to navigate the slide of their department’s report and faces everyone in the room. “Going there personally would help us with this, shout out to the board.” That triggers a laugh from the higher-ups, and Jongwan, who is still part of the meeting, laughs the loudest. Trust Taehyung to lighten the mood in the very tensed boardroom. Taehyung continues with a smirk as he navigates through his slides. “I am trying to figure out how many people I would need here from the Design Team, as I know very well that I will be working with our external team most of the time for this project. With the idea of not being too much of a burden to our external project team, I would very much appreciate it if you would let me have some of my team members to join this project.”

“I have read through your proposal. You need at least three, right? Have you selected them among your team?”

“I’ll update you as soon as I have, Namjoon-hyung. I’m waiting for someone to come before I submit the complete list of names. For now, Jihoon and Saeron are the other two that’s on my list.” The older nods and gives Taehyung a signal to continue. “There are seven projects our team is currently monitoring and fourteen under the planning phase – so far so good, no delays in any of them. The re-designing of interiors for all JGC hotels is still a work in progress, and as you can see on our dashboard, it’s all going smoothly as planned. The hotel in Daegu belongs to the projects under WIP, but be assured that it’s under control. The farming side is handled well, and as suggested, the sons and daughters of the workers there are signed as JGC’s scholars.”

“Jihyun-ssi’s restaurant there is doing well?” Jungkook asks, not looking at Taehyung because he’s reviewing papers in his hands. “I heard it’s a hit.”

“It is. Mom’s restaurant is an asset, and I can, without doubt, attest to that.”

“Hmm… that’s good. The farming side, as we have expanded the strawberry farm, is looking good. Make sure to stay connected to the people there and stay coordinated. We don’t want it to be the show stopper to this big project. As for the internal re-designing, keep it up. At least now, you guys are back to prioritizing them. Also, Namjoon, please arrange their flight to Malta as soon as Tae finalizes the list of his team members that will join you there.” Taehyung stills at that. “We don’t want to delay this now, do we?”

“Roger. Tae, can you submit the list of your members before this week ends?”

“S-Sure… I will. But… are you not coming, Kook – I mean, Jungkook?”

The heir lifts up his head and looks back at Taehyung, who’s becoming uneasy in front. “It will depend on the day Namjoon will send you there, Baby.”

There are some who swoon, and there are those who smile, and then there’s Taehyung blushing in front and Jungkook looking back down at the papers in his hands as if nothing just happened. “The next few days will be hectic because our partners from Malta will be coming over for a test run with our hotels here – whether it’s worth a shot or not – but the schedule for this will definitely be squeezed in my calendar, as this is a project that needs to be initiated by us personally. It’s a big project after all. Namjoon will suffice in initiating this, but I’d like to see it for myself, so we’ll see.”

“Okay.” He bites down his tongue, wraps up his presentation, and goes back to his seat silently. Jungkook moves to the front and looks around the board room.

“Thank you for your presentations, everyone. I would like to thank you all for the effort you have given us this month and hope it will remain consistent for the many months to come. We are moving towards much bigger projects and partnerships, and it’s going to be busy from here onwards, so I hope you’re all ready. It’s only been a month since I took over, and there’s still adjustments for us all, and I understand that some are still taking their time with me, as I am with you, but let us not allow that to be something that would affect us negatively. Let us all keep things positive. That is all, I’ll see you back here in a month. Thank you for joining us today, this meeting is adjourned.”

As the others disperse, he goes straight to Jungkook to smack the younger’s arm because of what he did earlier, earning a laugh from Jongwan and his cousins.

“You two, really, you never fail to amuse me.”

“Uncle, go teach your son how to take it easy, please.”

Jungkook just continues grinning as he leads Taehyung out of the boardroom, followed by his cousins. “Do you want to get some snacks or something?”

“Shall we?”

“Of course. Take Tae’s and my things back to my office. We’ll be back by 4:30.”

“Okay, Sir.” Says Jungkook’s secretary.

With their hands clasped together, they leave toward the executive elevator while bidding the others goodbye. He quickly puts his head on Jungkook’s shoulder as the elevator door closes.

“This day has me beat.” He whines, which Jungkook finds really cute from time to time. “Are we getting dinner before we go home, or are you cooking something?”

“You decide. I can cook something since we stocked up on groceries just a few days ago.”

“Well, I want to cuddle, so can we just order take-out?”

“Sure, Tae.”

The elevator dings open, and Jungkook takes out his phone to answer a call when suddenly, a guy that he can only see through his peripheral vision pulls Taehyung in for a hug.

“What the –“

“Taehyung-sunbaenim!”

Jungkook quickly pulls Taehyung to his side, but that doesn’t come without forcing the other guy to let him go. He pushes the guy by the head and glares at him after asking Taehyung if he was hurt somewhere, to which the older says he’s not and that he’s okay. That doesn’t calm the heir down, though, for he swiftly pulls the collar of the guy’s shirt, lifts him up, and harshly pushes him against the wall.

“Who do you think you are?”

“Kookie! Oh my gosh, let go of him!”

But he doesn’t. The other guy is choking as Jungkook continues to push him against the wall while asking who the he is. Taehyung moves beside him and pleads with him to let the guy go, though.

“Kookie, let Donggyu go! Please!”

That stops the younger for a second, giving the guy the chance to shove the heir away, but his effort is futile, like trying to move a giant boulder, because the younger doesn’t even budge. Security comes, only then does Jungkook finally let him go, though he’s still glaring.

“What’s his name?” he asks Taehyung, who gives the guy his handkerchief. “Who is he, Tae?”

“He’s a friend of mine, Kookie. He’s just –“

“Why does he think it’s okay for him to pull you harshly for a hug like that? I felt that, Tae. It almost made our hands let go!” he’s fuming.

Jeon Jungkook is fuming, and Taehyung is surprised to see him like this. Or maybe he feels nostalgic instead because it’s been so long since the last time he’s seen him like this.

“Kookie calm down, he’s a friend. I know him. Please, calm down.”

Jungkook calms down with the help of Taehyung’s tight grip on his hands. Donggyu, or whatever his name is, sits across from him in Taehyung’s office, after being served some water. They ended up not going out and settled for ordering in. Taehyung can see Jungkook still glaring at Donggyu, while the latter looks around his office to distract himself after that inconceivable encounter.

“So, um… when did you come back, Donggyu? How’s Paris?” he takes Jungkook’s hand to hold, trying to ease the younger, who is obviously still upset.

“Ah, it’s still Paris, hyung, and I just came back three days ago. I visited my friends and family first before finally coming here. But – I never knew I’ll be greeted with such force –“

“Don’t expect an apology because I will not apologize to you.”

“Yah, Kookie.” Taehyung sends the heir a warning glare, which the other wholly ignores.

“So, this is the Kookie you’ve been talking about, Hyung?”

He gave Donggyu a warning look as well, before sighing. “Yes, and this is also your boss, Donggyu. Your future boss. So, behave.”

“What do you mean?” the two ask at the same time, making Taehyung smile. “Aren’t you my future boss, hyung?” Donggyu follows up.

“Donggyu is here to apply, I was just surprised that he came today, a little bit earlier than planned, but that’s okay.”

“HYUNG!”

Jungkook smirks and almost laughs at the way Donggyu’s eyes widen in apparent shock. “Kookie, Donggyu is really good. He promised to come to JGC as soon as he graduated in Paris.”

“Hmm.” The heir who is still smirking locks eyes with this Donggyu guy. “So you’re going to be a new –“

“And he’s going with me for the project in Malta.”

It’s fast. How Jungkook turns to Taehyung as if he can’t believe what he’s just heard, but Taehyung only smiles at him while handing Donggyu’s folder over to him.

“I need him on that project, Kookie. So he’ll be one of the three people I will take with.”

“He’s not even hired yet. What makes you think he’ll be accepted?”

“He has a recommendation from Mrs. Kim, and – Namjoon knows him.” He shows Donggyu’s profile to Jungkook as he continues discussing things about the younger. “He’s more or less accepted already, actually. Just like how I got scouted by Mrs. Kim, this kid has been scouted too and was introduced to me a few years back.”

The heir skims through the pages of Donggyu’s folder and is impressed, even though he doesn’t want to be. There’s just no way for him not to acknowledge the guy’s skill.

After leaving Taehyung with that Donggyu guy, Jungkook fishes out his phone from his pocket and dials Namjoon’s personal number.

“The flight schedule for Tae and the team to help design the hotel in Malta – do it according to my schedule. The earliest it can be accommodated.”

“What’s with you suddenly? I am discussing their flight schedule with Uncle as we speak, and he’s confused as well.”

“I just don’t want to let Taehyung go there without me. Just do as I say, Namjoon.”

He can hear both his dad and Namjoon sigh, but they agree to it, so he hangs up.

--

Back in Taehyung’s apartment, Jungkook takes over the kitchen while the former takes his bath. It’s been over a week since he’s started coming home with Taehyung. Half of Taehyung’s closet is his clothes, his toothbrush is beside Taehyung’s, there are two towels in the towel rack, two pairs of slippers, there’s always enough dishes for two people in the sink – everything in Taehyung’s apartment suggests that a couple lives there. Neither of them complains about it.

“So who was that Donggyu guy? He looks like he’s someone like Jihoon.” He asks when Taehyung comes out of the bathroom. “I never once heard about him in your stories when we were catching up.”

“I totally forgot to mention him ‘cause it’s not like he’s as important as the others. He is my junior, yes. He drew Tannie and me before.”

“Hmm… I see.” Is all that he says and doesn’t push further, not wanting the guy to be their topic for the night. It still bothers him that he hugged Taehyung the way he did.

It’s Friday night and they plan to watch a movie, which is why Taehyung is setting up his laptop on his living room’s coffee table when the doorbell rings.

“I’ll get it.” Says Taehyung, hurrying to the door. “It’s probably Jin-hyung or Jiminie.”

“Why would they be here?” he asks, plating the food he had prepared.

“Kookie! It’s Donghyun-hyung!”

He straightens his back instinctively at that. Taehyung comes in, followed by Donghyun, who is looking straight at him.

“What’s up? Why are you here? You should’ve just called –“

“Sir, some of your things shipped from London arrived at your house tonight. Should I ask someone to deliver it to the mansion, or should I leave it there?”

“Just leave it there.” Jungkook eyes Donghyun with suspicion. This isn’t the only reason he came here. “Why are you here, Donghyun? If it’s about my things, you should’ve just called, and I could’ve instructed you over the phone.”

“My apologies, sir. But I need to discuss something with you, it’s an emergency.”

“What the heck do you mean by emergency?”

Taehyung stops munching his food and eyes Donghyun, who said it almost in a whisper as if not wanting to alarm him, but it still did because he heard it, so it’s no use taking the talk anywhere away from Taehyung.

“What’s happening, hyung?”

“Uhm, well, Somi-ssi’s ex-lover came to your house in Seongbuk-dong wanting to have a word with you. It didn’t help that Somi-ssi and the little heir was there earlier today.”

“WHAT?” Jungkook almost shouts, and Taehyung moves from his seat to stand beside him. “How the hell did he know that I have a house there? Only some of my relatives know I have a property there. And why are Somi and Yeonjun there? Aren’t they back on the island with my grandparents?”

“They just came back from the island today and chose to go straight to your home, thinking you are there with Taehyung-ssi. The little heir was looking for the both of you, you see? That guy is still there waiting, no matter what I tell him, so, -“

“How about Somi and Yeonjunie?” Taehyung cuts him off, hands already trembling because of worry. “Tell me you didn’t leave them there, Donghyun-hyung.”

“I didn’t, don’t worry. I sent them to the mansion before the guy arrived there, so they’re safe. But the man is insistent on talking to you, Jungkook.” He eyes the heir, who is also eyeing him carefully. “I’m still trying to find out how the hell he knows that you have a house in Seungbuk-dong considering he doesn’t have the money to hire a private investigator – we all know his background and –“

“Call Somi, Tae.” Taehyung moves to take his phone from the dining table and dials Somi’s number under Jungkook’s command. Their heiress picks up after three rings asking what’s up, so he hands the phone to Jungkook.

“Somi, it’s Jungkook.”

“Oh, oppa? What’s –“

“Where are you?”

“I’m in our penthouse in JGC. Why?”

“And Yeonjunie? Where is he?”

“He’s back at the mansion. I left him there to pick up some of my things here. Again, why?”

“Stay right where you are. I’ll send Hoya to drive you back to the mansion, and you ing stay there for a while until I’ve had a talk with that ex-lover of yours.”

It’s silent, so Jungkook thinks his cousin understands, but then Somi giggles. “Oppa, there’s no way he’ll come for us. He left when –“

“And I’m telling you there is. He found out where I live, Somi. So, stay at the mansion until we have spoken with him. Do you understand?”

“But oppa –“

“There’s no but, Somi. Just do as I say. Don’t wait for dad to order you around!”

“Somi, just do as Jungkookie says, okay?” Taehyung watches Jungkook as he goes and picks up his own phone, which is also ringing, flashing Yoongi’s name on the screen. The heir takes the call in the living room while he continues talking to Somi in the dining area. “You understand why he’s doing this, right? We still don’t know why he came back or why he is trying to talk to the men of the family, so for now, let them talk, okay?”

“Why is oppa so mad, though? Is everything okay? Did he try to do something that might bring harm to the family?”

“Well, finding out Namjoonie-hyung’s personal phone number and where Jungkookie lives aside from the mansion, is quite worrisome, Somi… considering it is private information.”

He can see Jungkook from the dining area, and he can tell from a glance that the heir is anxious. Of course, this is a time to be concerned. Taehyung knows that whatever mad skills Somi’s ex-lover has in finding out information he shouldn’t be able to, is what’s alarming Jungkook the most right now.

“Go back to the mansion, Somi-ah…”

“As if I have any choice left now that Hoya-ssi is here.” Somi chuckles; he can hear another male voice from the background, asking Somi to hand her things for him to carry. “I never thought I’d be in this situation again.”

“I’m sorry, Somi.”

“No, it’s okay, oppa. I knew one day this situation would come… can you go to the mansion tomorrow early, oppa? I need to tell you something.”

“What is it about? I’m worried, Somi.” Taehyung helps Jungkook put on his coat. The heir is looking at him over his shoulder as if asking what Somi is talking about, but he just shakes his head because Somi said he’ll know if he goes to the mansion early tomorrow.

After dropping the call, he goes to hug Jungkook from the back to try and calm the younger down. He’s still talking to Yoongi over the phone, the other probably heard about what’s happening. Situations like these are fast in getting to the members of the family because of their security.

“Thanks, hyung… I owe you one.” He ends the call and turns around to hug Taehyung. “Baby, do you mind if I go back to my house for a while? I have to go talk to the security there.”

“You’re coming back right after? You haven’t even eaten yet, Kookie.”

“I’ll eat once I come back. Donghyun will stay here with you until I come back, okay?”

“You’re not going to take me there with you?”

“No baby, I’m not risking it. We still don’t know why the guy is around, and until we’ve talked, there’s no way I’d let him get near you nor Yeonjun and Somi… so please just stay here while I settle this, okay?”

“But –“

“Your car is warmed up, Jungkook,” Donghyun says from the door. “You should go. Pierre is keeping the mansion safe with the other security personnel. I’ve asked the security team at your house to get ready for your arrival.”

“Alright, thanks. Keep Tae safe here. I’ll go.”

Jungkook plants a kiss on Taehyung’s forehead and tries to ease the older by telling him that he’ll be back soon. “Eat your dinner, don’t wait for me.”

“Okay… I will. Be careful, Kookie.”

“Hmm. I’ll see you later, baby.”

“Are you just going alone?” he asks as the younger puts on his shoes.

“I’m fine, baby. There’s no way I’m taking Donghyun with me and leaving you alone here.”

“But –“

“Call me if anything happens here, Donghyun. I’m off, Baby.”

The door closes behind the heir’s back, and it leaves Taehyung with nothing but worry.

--

His jaw clenches as he sees the guy sitting in front of his gate. As the man spots his car, though, he stands up, dusting his pants off and bows down to greet him. He’s not sure if the man can see him through the overly tinted windows of his car but he doesn’t care anymore.

After parking the car, he waits outside the door and asks someone to let the man in.

The guy standing before him looks like – well, a kid, with his beanie and round glasses. He can see the resemblance between this man and Yeonjun even though many claim Yeonjun looks like him. This is where Yeonjun’s features originally reside.

“Good evening, Sir Jeon… my name is –“

“How did you know where I live?” was his first question, opening his door wide to allow the man to follow him inside. “You must’ve gone the extra mile to find the information. You also found out Namjoon’s private number, so you must have some connections despite not having much.”

“Uh, that…” the guy smiles, and once again, Jungkook wonders how anyone can say that Yeonjun has the Jeon’s signature smile? This man looks exactly like his nephew when he smiles. The same twitch of the lips is there, for ’s sake. “I just asked around and was lucky enough to find someone who gave it to me.”

“And this home’s address? How did you find this out?”

“That’s a secret… I haven’t introduced myself yet. I am Choi Yujin, Yeonjun’s father.”

“I know that much. Sit down and state your reasons for being here. It must’ve taken you so much before finding the guts to come here and personally meet me.”

“Well, I did run away from my problems after learning everything about Somi, so I know just how much she hated me for that –“

“And coming here will make her hate you less?”

“No, I know it won’t. She’s kind of the stubborn type, I assume we both know that.” Yujin lets out a chuckle before taking out something from his big bag. “I just want to see her and Yeonjun; I’m not here to cause anyone trouble.”

“Are you telling me that taking them back with you is not in your plan?”

“I’m not saying it’s not in my plan after I see them, Mr. Jeon.” He pushes a box in front of Jungkook, making him wonder what’s with people showing him rings. “I came here to ask for your cousin’s hand in marriage. Hear me out before you start yelling.” He stops Jungkook from talking. “I know running away didn’t do me any favors nor Somi any good. It just showed how much of a coward I am. But being someone who wasn’t even capable of paying his own rent – I didn't think loving someone in your family is something I should do –“

“So, you just left.”

“I didn’t leave just like that, Mr. Jeon. I did tell Somi that I’ll be back after sorting out my own life, though she was sleeping on the hospital bed at the time – I think you already know that I’m an orphan and was trying to survive life every day by working multiple jobs… I don’t have anything with me to prove myself. I’m not scared of loving Somi and my child – I’m scared of you and myself and the reality…”

“You don’t look scared of me right now.”

Yujin grins. “I’m trying not to.”

Jungkook lets out a sigh and takes the box where the rings lie. “I don’t think giving this to my cousin now will make any difference. You left –“

“I told you, I didn’t.” the defiance is apparent in his eyes, Jungkook is almost amazed by it.

“Then, when did you find out about Somi being a Jeon?”

“A few weeks before hell ed with my life, Sir. But I was there when she gave birth to our Yeonjun, and there I saw how stupid I am because – because I wasn’t there to hold her hands and I wasn’t there to cheer her up when she thought our boy died… I was there, Sir.””

“I know,” Jungkook speaks up, looking up at the ceiling because this is going to be hard. “I know you were there.”

“How –“

It’s his turn to grin and shrug his shoulders nonchalantly. “If you think I wouldn’t know, then you’re underestimating me and my family, kid.” He stands and asks one of the security guards who was waiting close behind to hand him an envelope filled with photographs of Yujin. “I know where you have been, and I know what you’ve been up to – but I don’t think it will help you in winning Somi’s and some of my family member’s trusts back.”

“I only need hers back, Sir…” Yujin breaks and starts to shed tears after looking at the pictures of him taken by someone he didn’t know. It really shows what he’s been up to for all the years he wasn’t here in Seoul. “And my son’s.”

“Good luck with that. You can stay here for the night. I’m going back.”

He looks at Jungkook like a deer caught in headlights. “Are you sure you’ll allow me to stay here? I –“

“This house is loaded, kid. Just stay for the night and start planning how to win my cousin’s trust back. She does think of you as a douche bag.”

“That’s expected… but do you mind me asking why you aren’t mad at all?”

“Don’t get me wrong. I am mad at you. It’s just, my nephew, despite having all of us, needs you… and Somi and some others might think otherwise, but me, considering I know everything about you, I think being scared of holding on to a treasure is understandable… we let go of them thinking we don’t deserve to have them, and I fully understand how you possibly felt. That’s why I told Taehyung that Yeonjun deserves to know about you despite leaving them behind… because I know the feeling of wanting to give someone everything that they deserve even if that means not being with them. We want to be the best for them so much that we almost end up losing them too.”

“Mr. Jeon, I –“

“If you’re sorry, why not go and meet the rest of our family?”

As if on cue, Yoongi comes with Namjoon in tow. As well as Jongwan with Sejin. “You’re asking for our princess’s hand in marriage, might as well ask everyone, right? You’ll meet Taehyung later. The file about Yujin is already on that table – go and read it if you must – I’ll leave you to it.”

“Does Somi know you’ve been watching this kid, Kook? This is one hell of an investigative file you’ve compiled on him.” Namjoon is in awe as he looks at the pile of papers about Choi Yujin. “How about Taehyung?”

“They don’t know.” He checks his phone to see if there are any messages from where Taehyung is at the moment. “And right now, I know I’ll be in huge trouble, but I have to let them know about this.”

“I’m just confused because you were so sure that you won’t let this guy near Somi and Yeonjun, and yet here you are, allowing him inside your home.” Yoongi eyes Yujin with so much remorse. “I just came to tell you that there’s no way you’d get my blessing, kid.”

“When I heard everything from Somi, I immediately asked someone to watch Yujin. Hence I found out his background, and as we dug deeper, I found out more than I should have – so now he’s inside my home.”

“Don’t tell me you’d give him a chance.” Yoongi glares at his younger cousin, who only shrugs. He was about to yell at him when Jongwan speaks up.

“You are an architect?”

Yoongi gives up and just lay down on Jungkook’s couch and stays quiet. Obviously, the rest of the family will interrogate the man, so he’ll just listen.

“That’s my major, but I minored in Business.”

“And the reason why you left was because of financial issues?”

“And my pride, yes. The only family I had left died when I found out Somi was pregnant, Sir.”

“Does Somi know everything about you? Like, how poor you are or something?” Namjoon asks next, checking a few papers from the files in front of them.

“She knew, Sir,” Yujin says in a low voice, earning everyone’s gaze. “But I didn’t know everything about her until she told me her full name and when people found out about us, they started talking about her with me, and that’s when I found out she’s a Jeon, an heiress even… I chickened out after that.”

“What?!” Yoongi sits back up. Jungkook leans back against his seat with a smirk.

“When I asked her about why she didn’t tell me anything, she said she’s afraid I’d leave her for being a Jeon…”

“And you did leave her for being a Jeon,” Jongwan says in conclusion, putting down some papers to stare at the man in front of him. “After getting her pregnant, you left her without a word after knowing she is a Jeon.“

“When she told me she’s pregnant, my grandmother died the same day, so I really didn’t know what to do… Knowing she’s a Jeon, and had so much more than I have and what I could probably give her, I left trusting you to be there for her… I wouldn’t let her go down with me, Sir.” Yujin, without the confidence from earlier with Jungkook, looks down at his clasped hands that are shaking. “I had nothing figured out. The only family I had left, died… trying to figure out how I’d pay my rent and my tuition fee for Seoul University, became too much for me to handle and getting Somi pregnant right at the same time as the world chose to with me – I decided to let some things go… I decided to let her go because I knew it would be best for her and for our child. I knew if she would’ve known, your family would do anything to help me, that’s just how you are. But my pride wouldn’t let me see Somi living in my hellish apartment – and I wouldn’t let my child live there either… So I left to try to put my life back in order, hoping that one day, somehow, Somi and our child would be able to forgive me for leaving… I didn’t have much choice then, Sir. Believe me. If I –“

“Enough,” Sejin says, taking over the discussion after putting some pictures down. And right there, they all know that whatever Sejin will say is absolute, especially when Jongwan hugs him by his waist to let him do the talking. “We understand that you want to talk to our Somi, but please try to understand that we have to discuss this matter with her first, and if she decides that she wants to hear it from you directly, then we’d let you see her. Accept whatever decision she will make, Yujin-ah. Because I’m sure you know how much this has hurt her… also, Yeonjun has to know about the circumstances with you. We don’t want him getting the wrong idea, so we’ll have to discuss this as a family before we let them meet with you. Does anyone disagree?” None of the men of the family says anything, so Sejin continues. “From what you have told us so far, I think it’s safe to say that you didn’t tell her that you’re leaving them behind just so you can fix your life.”

“I… didn’t tell her, Sir.”

Sejin nods and looks around the room to see the other men’s faces. “Because I know that if you had at least told her, she would’ve waited for you to come back. This gives us more reason to discuss this with her first.  You have to wait for that to happen before getting to meet them – if they ever decided to meet with you. As for everybody else, we should leave for the night. Let’s discuss this matter whenever you guys can.”

“We can do this tomorrow. There’s no point in delaying this, my grandson is already four years old.” Jongwan says with finality in his voice.

They all agree to talk about it first as a family, but Jungkook told Yujin that he’ll stay at his home for the night.

Getting to his car, Jongwan goes after him only to mess up with his hair.

“You did well with that investigation, even though you were in London at the time, Kook-ah.”

“Let’s just say that I learned a few things from my experience, Dad, and I don’t want Yeonjun to experience the same things I have, especially by not listening.”

“Is that the reason why you let him in?”

“Well, that’s the second reason.”

“What’s your first reason?”

“Because he looks like Yeonjun.”

--

At Taehyung’s apartment, it no longer surprises him to see the older sleeping on the sofa with his tummy exposed and Yeontan on the top of his chest. He sighs as he approaches him and removes his eyeglasses. Taehyung probably reviewed some of the things on his table and slept on it.

He removes Yeontan and carries Taehyung to his room, tucking him under the covers before going to the bathroom to take a shower.

After taking a shower and wondering if it’s okay to talk about it now with Taehyung, he gets under the covers with Taehyung all over him in a matter of seconds, asking him what time he got back.

“I just came back, it’s past 11 now. Hey baby, can we talk for a while?”

Taehyung, with one eye open, gives Jungkook a look before sitting up sleepily. He also sits up and holds Taehyung’s hands because he knows just how much the situation will affect the other.

Yeonjun means a lot to him.

“What happened? Is there a problem?”

“I have something to tell you about Choi Yujin…” upon hearing the name, Taehyung’s eyes widen, making Jungkook look away from him.

“He really waited for you at your house?” He nods. “And then what happened? Did you talk to him?”

“I did, and I need to tell you something.”

“What?” Taehyung urges Jungkook to talk when the heir takes his time. There’s hesitation in his eyes, wondering if Taehyung will hate him over what he’s about to tell him, so he pulls back. But this is something Taehyung should know. Everyone in their family should know. “Jungkook, come on. Stop with the suspense.”

“When Somi called me because of her failed relationship with Choi Yujin – telling me he left her and all that – I made it a point to know more about the guy who made my cousin cry, hoping to find something against him and destroy him. But instead, I found something I can never use against him, Tae…”

“What do you mean?” Taehyung hits Jungkook’s hands when he stops, afraid of what’s about to be said.

“You knew that he’s an orphan and only depended on his grandmother, who works on a farm to pay his rent and tuition fees, right?” Taehyung’s silence tells him, no, and he continues. “I bet you didn’t… because Somi never once told us who he really was. Our family can find out who someone is with just a snap of our fingers, Tae… and maybe Somi didn’t tell us before because she knew that for a fact, that sooner or later, someone from our family will ask someone to look for him and we’ll find out on our own. But, our family will never look for someone involved with any of us because we respect each other’s privacy. The search will only be on once they met our family – but in Somi’s case, it never reached that point.”

“I don’t see why we’re talking about that man’s family background and your family’s culture, Jungkook.”

“Tae, Somi didn’t tell him she is a Jeon heiress until he found out on his own.” He says in a hurry, and Taehyung’s mouth opens in shock. “Exactly. His grandmother, the only family he had left, died on the same day Somi told him that she’s pregnant, so, can you imagine how much it weighed down on him that day?”

“Did he let Somi know?”

“Tae –“

“No, answer my question, Jungkook. Did he or did he not let Somi know?”

“He didn’t.”

“He didn’t tell her, that’s where the problem lies, Jungkook. Let me guess, this is the reason he told you, didn’t he? And you believed it?”

“Tae, the investigator didn’t get it wrong! I checked it as well. His grandmother died –“

“And Somi didn’t know that! Right? Because he didn’t tell her. If he had to go that day to take care of his grandmother’s wake, Somi would’ve understood! But he didn’t tell her. He just left her without telling her anything. So, what does he want now?!”

Jungkook doesn’t say anything to answer Taehyung, but the latter knows exactly what Yujin wants, and it’s making him anxious.

“I know I said that giving second chances is okay, but some don’t deserve it, Jungkook.”

“Is wanting what’s best for the person you love a bad thing, Tae?”

Taehyung stops from getting off the bed and looks at Jungkook incredulously. “Are you kidding me right now? You’re on his side?”

“I’m not –“

“You are! You are arguing with me!”

“Tae, I am not! I just –“

“Get out.”

“Tae, please. Hear me out first. There are things you still need to know –“

“I said, get out. I will sleep here tonight –“

“Don’t do this Tae, baby please –“

“Get out, or I’m the one getting out, Jungkook.”

He was quick in getting up from the bed but slow in getting to the door to leave, not after he kisses Taehyung goodnight on his cheek; it’s a good thing he doesn’t dodge it.

He knew Taehyung would react like this. It’s the very reason why he doesn’t want to tell him tonight, but he has the right to know before the discussion with his family in the morning. Of all the family members, Taehyung has the most right to know.

Jongwan sent the message of invite via text during the night.

When morning comes, both of them look sleep-deprived. Thankfully, Taehyung ate the breakfast he made, but he still chose to leave on his own, Jungkook having to follow him in his own car.

They arrived at the Jeon’s mansion separately, surprising everyone. They seem confused about seeing Taehyung drive. Usually, it’s Jungkook driving or one of their drivers.

His cousins ask him about what happened, so he tells them, but they both tell him he should’ve expected that reaction from Taehyung, considering he is the one who gives Yeonjun the most tender love and care.

It’s silent where all the family members are gathered in the dining area. They are finally hit by the realization that the current issue is important enough to have their grandparents come back from the island for this discussion. They must’ve used the chopper.

The dining table is large enough to accommodate everyone and has Taehyung and Jungkook sitting far apart. It’s clear how much the situation is affecting Taehyung for him not to talk to Jungkook, or sit beside him. For Taehyung, beside Jungkook, is his permanent place.

“I take it that you all know why I called this meeting. Right Somi?” Jongwan starts. Somi looks away like she is anxious about something. She probably asked to skip today’s class for this without telling her reasons why. “Let’s wait till Yujin gets here with Donghyun and we will –“

Somi abruptly looks up upon hearing the name she thought she’d never ever hear again. The color drains from her beautiful face and her eyes start to water as if she’s suddenly hurt by something invisible.

Well, just hearing his name is enough to make her cry, what more when she hears everything he didn’t say?

Taehyung, who happens to be sitting beside her, gives her a comforting squeeze on her shoulder.

“There seems to be a misunderstanding, Somi. Were you lying to us this whole time?”

“Uncle –“

“Dad.”

Namjoon and Jungkook cut Jongwan off, but the older doesn’t bother looking at them. Instead, his glare hardens on Somi.

“After reading everything our private investigator has on him, and after hearing his side of the story last night –“ Somi is starting to sob now, hysterically. She can’t even look up to meet Jongwan’s eyes. “the only conclusion left for me to make is that you didn’t tell us everything about him, what he’s studying at college – all the littlest things. That information was found by the investigator Jungkook hired years ago. That’s how we found out who he is and where he came from, but not everything, because I asked Jungkook to stop. However, you know how your cousin is – he’s kind of nosy. He was desperately looking for something that could possibly ruin the man – but the joke is on us. We found nothing against him.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” Grandpa Jeon speaks up for the first time. “How is that possible? Our Somi said she was left behind.”

“Well, she was. And don’t get me wrong, I’m still on her side but, why didn’t you tell us anything about the man, Princess? We didn’t ask you anything about the boy because we respect your privacy.” Jongwan’s tone gets softer, making Somi cry some more. “Is it because you were scared that once he found out, he’d leave you?”

“And he did,” Somi answers, tears flowing continuously, breaking everyone’s heart. “He found out, and he left. He got scared –“

“He left not because he found out.” Jungkook takes over. He knows it’ll take them just a few minutes before Yujin arrives, and he doesn’t want everyone fighting. “He left because he had no choice. His grandmother died the same day you told him you were pregnant, Somi. The truth about you being a Jeon is something he found out before that, so… he didn’t leave because you’re a Jeon.”

The door opens as Yujin comes in, eyes instantly locking with Somi’s wide ones. “Jin-oppa…”

“Somi…”

Jongwan clears his throat and asks Yujin to sit across from Somi. “Now, we can start. So, Yujin? State why you were over at Jungkook’s place to talk to him?” Jongwan demands, not even waiting for Yujin to sit down.

“Well, I –“

Once he finished talking, his eyes are swollen with all the crying, same as Somi’s. “I wouldn’t dare to take you back now if that’s what you want, Somi… but I at least want you to know why I left you. I was left with no choice, and I was scared –“

A slap stops him from talking. All gasping at the sudden move from Somi, who practically crawled across the table to reach him. When blood creeps from Yujin’s lip, everyone is alarmed but does not make a move. Somi does not give them time as she instantly hugs Yujin, words spilling like a waterfall, asking how he’s been all those years they were apart and telling him about Yeonjun. How their son is such a wonderful kid and how he got almost all of his features from him.

Yujin carefully took Somi in his arms, hugging him tightly as he says, “I’m so sorry, Baby…” countless of times.

Jungkook needs to look away from the scene only to find Taehyung already looking at him. And by the look in Taehyung’s eyes, he knows the older understands everything now.

Somi said that she met Yujin at a bar. They were both out with their friends, but neither wanted to join them partying on the dance floor. Somi didn’t tell Yujin her name, while Yujin told her everything about himself. They fell in love that night, crazily in love, that is.

Because of not telling him her name and who her family is, she could never introduce Yujin to them, but it was never an issue in their relationship because the only one that mattered to Yujin is Somi.

It may be shallow to others why Yujin left Somi behind, but thinking about it, he made the right choice then. He wanted the best for his girlfriend and his son, and being with him would not have given them the best at the time. It would only have burdened Somi and alarmed her family, which the Jeon said yes to when he told them. He left, wanting the best for the two most important people in his life. With that thought in mind, he planned to come back for them once he picked up the pieces of his life. It was difficult for him, as well.

That makes everyone think how sometimes people do not just leave their loved ones. Sometimes leaving is the only choice to ensure the best for the ones who are left behind. That’s precisely what Yujin did. It’s precisely what Jungkook did as well.

When Taehyung approaches him, tugging his shirt to get his attention, all there is left for him to do is hug him.

“Will he take Yeonjun, away?”

“No, Tae. I won’t let that happen. He gets to stay with us, but we have to accept the fact that we have another member of the family now in Yujin. He didn’t mean any harm, Tae… he just did what he thought was best for both Somi and Yeonjun.”

Taehyung tries to suppress his feelings, but soon, he’s crying as well. All the family members look his way sadly. They know how much Yeonjun means to Taehyung. No one can argue with the way Taehyung takes care of him, he could be his father.

When Yujin attempted to talk to Taehyung, Jungkook just shook his head, telling him that it isn’t a good time. Yujin wants to thank the other for everything he did for his Somi and Yujin, but Jungkook told him off before he could even speak.

That day, he left the mansion with Taehyung crying in the passenger seat of his car, leaving the older’s car behind in the mansion because there’s no way Jungkook would let him drive in that state. He just knew how heartbroken the older is as of the moment.

The following days are tough for everyone in the family. With Yujin’s arrival, the usually jolly Yeonjun has gone quiet. He’s not talking to anyone, not even Taehyung, who explained the circumstances to him along with Somi.

Therefore, the appearance of his nephew in his office after three long days of explanation about his real father is a surprise to Jungkook, to say the least. He was expecting Yeonjun to talk with either his mom or Taehyung, but of all the members of their family, little Yeonjun chose to speak with him.

“Hey, buddy. You didn’t go to school?” Yeonjun shakes his head and sits on one of the chairs in Jungkook’s spacious office. He watches as his nephew puts down his Pororo backpack over his coffee table. “And why is that?”

“Is Daddy Yujin making Taehyungie-hyungie sad? Because if he is, then I don’t want him to be my dad.”

He smiles a little at that. Of course, it’ll be on Taehyung side Yeonjun will choose to be. “Do you think your Taehyungie-hyungie is sad?”

He nods this time, still not looking at Jungkook. “Mommy once told me that talking about daddy hurts her feelings… when I asked Taehyungie-hyungie why mommy is hurting whenever I mentioned Daddy, he told me that it’s because it’s making mommy sad just by thinking about him… so why is he back now? Does he want Yeonjunie back? Will he take me away from everyone?”

“Aren’t you happy that your dad is back, Yeonjun-ah?” he approaches his nephew, sits before him and holds his hands. “Weren’t you asking about him before?”

“I… I am happy, Jungkookie-hyungie… but if it’s making others not happy, isn’t that bad?” he can see Yeonjun trying to stop his tears, but his continuous sniffing is giving it away. “Teacher said that we should always consider other people’s feelings… she said it’s not good to be happy on our own. We should always share it because the world needs it so much…”

He’s only four-years old, Jungkook has to remind himself of that fact. He tends to forget about how old his nephew is whenever they’re talking. Not to mention, Yeonjun is so mature about these things surrounding him.

“Daddy Yujin is really nice… but I saw Taehyungie-hyungie looking at us with sad eyes if he’s smiling… so I want to know if being with Daddy makes him sad… it – it hurts to see Taehyungie-hyungie sad… I don’t want –“

“Yeonjun, look at me, buddy.” The little heir meets his Jungkookie-hyungie’s eyes. Tears leave his beautiful eyes, and Jungkook thinks of the answer as to why Yeonjun didn’t talk to Taehyung. Because he’s scared to know directly if he is making his Taehyungie-hyungie sad. “Taehyungie-hyungie understands that your daddy is back, baby. He understands that your daddy is trying to make up to you and your mommy for all those times he wasn’t there for you… Taehyungie-hyungie isn’t sad, but instead, he is happy that you are finally with both mommy and daddy… Your Taehyungie-hyungie and I know how much it hurts to be without a complete family – but it leads us to something more than a complete one when we let go of some things in the past. That’s why I’m sure that your Taehyungie-hyungie is happy that you’re with your mom and dad. You’re one brilliant kid, you deserve that much, buddy.”

“Your Taehyungie-hyungie will give the world to you if he can, Yeonjunnie… Because you have become someone so precious to him. He will wish you everything this world can give you. He loves you that much. I don’t know how much of what I’m telling you now, you will understand, but that’s just how love is for Tae, Yeonjunnie. He loves unconditionally. And we’re lucky we get to experience it. So, don’t be sad, buddy. Just give your Taehyungie-hyungie time to let the idea of your daddy’s appearance in your life sink in his head. But I assure you, he’s happy for you.”

“Are you sure, sure?” Yeonjun asks, still shedding tears, so Jungkook pulls him in for a hug.

“I’m sure, Yeonjunnie.”

Yeonjun stays in his office. Coloring books, reading, asking him some things, and drawing. He was no distraction at all. When lunchtime comes, they decide to go to Taehyung to surprise him. But they are surprised instead, once they reach the older’s office.

Taehyung looks at them from talking to, well, Yujin. However, the older doesn’t show any reaction, so they don’t know if he’s at least happy to see them. They decide not to interrupt and just wait outside. Even if Jungkook’s family owns this entire building, he just can’t get himself involved in whatever Taehyung is talking about with Yujin. Jihoon serves Yeonjun some fruit juice, allowing Jungkook to ask what’s being discussed by the two in Taehyung’s office.

“I only heard that it’s a job interview, Sir,” Jihoon says carefully. “I heard that after reviewing Yujin-ssi’s portfolio, provided by his current workplace, JGC wants to acquire him. It’s a job offer from our former CEO, Jongwan-ssi himself.”

Okay, he did not hear anything about that plan. He does know that sooner or later, there’ll be a job offer for Yujin coming from him as he is the CEO, but for Jongwan to move this fast? Taehyung isn’t even ready yet. What is he thinking?

“Buddy, do you mind if I leave you here for a while?” he asks Yeonjun while taking out his phone. “I need to make some calls.”

“Okay, hyungie.”

“Such a good boy.” The line connects to his dad’s instantly, as if Jongwan was expecting his call. “Dad, what is the meaning of this? Just how good is this guy in his work for you to want him this much? I already told you and the rest of our family that even though he’s recognized as one of our family members, he’s still under probation. And didn’t I tell you that I’ll handle everything concerning him?”

“Is Taehyung interviewing him?”

“Yes, damn it. Was he even warned about this?”

“Taehyung was the one who asked for Yujin to apply to JGC, Jungkook. He asked for Yujin’s profile himself from that Architectural Firm he’s currently working at. He called me to ask if I can make it possible, and I just helped him.”

“Tae – he asked for this?”

“Yes. And I don’t see anything wrong with it? Do you?”

“No. It’s just – it surprised me to see him in Tae’s office, and then Jihoon told me you released the job offer yourself, so I thought you moved without even asking for my input. And shouldn’t he ask me for help? I can easily do this too.”

“Taehyung must be thinking that you’re busy enough already. Also, don’t you want him there? You’re the last person to interview people, Jungkook. You are to meet him too as soon as Tae’s done talking to him, and it’ll be totally up to you whether we’ll have him or not. You just managed to find out before Tae could even tell you.”

“It’s not because I don’t want him here. I just thought Taehyung isn’t ready for this.” He spots Taehyung coming out of his office with Yujin, who greets his son. Yeonjun slowly makes his way to Yujin to hug his father but asks Taehyung to pick him up instead. “I gotta go. I think they’re done.”

“Alright. Tell me what happens.”

“Yeah.”

He approaches them and kisses Taehyung on his forehead. “Hey, Baby. How have you been?”

“Good. You?”

“Good as well. Hello, Yujin.” The younger nods with a smile. “Fancy seeing you here. I didn’t even know you’d be coming.”

“I was asked here by Taehyung-ssi.”

“I know that now. Would you like to get lunch with us?”

“Ah, no. I should go back to work.” He ruffles his son’s hair affectionately and smiles sadly when Yeonjun goes to hide in Taehyung’s neck. “I left some work on my table, I need to finish as soon as possible. You go ahead with this little bundle of joy.”

Once the younger male leaves, Jungkook can only look at Taehyung, who is listening to Yeonjun’s endless blabbering. Finally, it’s the usual Yeonjun they all know. Talkative, all smiles and sweet.

“Hey baby, before anything else, I need to know how you’re feeling right now, for real.” He stops Taehyung from occupying a seat in his office with Yeonjun, who is also looking at him in confusion, on his lap. “I know how much stress this set-up gives you, so I need to know how you feel right now.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about at all, Kookie. I’m perfectly fine.” is what he says, but the heir doesn’t believe it. He knows when Taehyung is in the state of mind, where he’s trying hard to cope with an uncomfortable reality. He will not talk about how he truly feels, especially when he knows it’ll affect other people. He’s always been that considerate of others.

“Baby, are you really okay?”

“I am, Kookie. I truly am. What has you so worried all of a sudden?” Taehyung places Yeonjun down on his seat and moves face to face with Jungkook. “You said I should accept the fact that there’s an addition to Yeonjun’s life, am I not doing good?”

So that’s how it is. It’s because of what he said. “Baby…” He half whines before taking Taehyung’s hands to hold. “It’s okay for you not to be okay with this whole situation for a while. Everyone will surely understand because we know how you must be feeling. This is a shock, and I’m not forcing you to understand and accept it right away. Please don’t force yourself to be okay just so as not to worry us... you take all the time you need to adjust, baby.”

Taehyung is tearing up, it breaks Jungkook’s heart. Yeonjun feels it too, the sudden drop of Taehyung’s mood, so now he’s hugging one of Taehyung’s legs to try and comfort his hyungie.

“It’s just – this is becoming too much. I have so much to think about already and –“

“Hey, baby… look at me. You have me, baby. Lay it all on me, I’ll figure things out with you. I know I’m part of what’s stressing you out but, I’m here… I’ll take half of what’s pushing you down just so you can stand again. Now, tell me what’s bothering you… come on Tae.”

He sniffs cutely, making Jungkook want to coo. “Well, first, I’m starving.”

“Okay, you’re starving. Want to just order food?” He nods and Jungkook is immediately on his phone to call for delivery. It takes him 5 minutes to place their order before facing Taehyung again. “Okay, what else, baby?”

“Well… Saeron just told me that she just vacated your unit near here... and I’m afraid that you’ll choose your place to go home to instead of my place –“

“Do you or do you not want me to?”

“Of course I don’t want you to… and I’ve been thinking whether I’m ready to go back there with you and I’ve answered myself countless times already today... I’m not… so I don’t know anymore.”

“Okay, then, I’m not going back until you’re ready for us to go back there. What else?”

Taehyung’s eyes widen in shock. Well, of course, he’s shocked, Jungkook is clearly giving in to whatever he wants.

“What else, baby?” Jungkook asks in a serious tone. “What else is bothering you?”

“I… Jungkook, do you even have a say in this? Why is it always my call?”

“I already told you, whatever you say goes, Tae.” He grins, encouraging the older to speak what he wants. “Besides, so far, the things you’ve asked from me are the things I want for myself too, so I don’t see anything wrong with it. I just don’t want to move by myself and scare you away so –“

“For how long are you planning on enduring it?”

“I’m not enduring anything, Baby… Right now, I’m focusing on giving you everything that you want.”

“Is that how it’s supposed to be?”

“It is for me. So tell me what else is bothering you.”

Taehyung locks gazes with Jungkook for a while before surrendering. There’s nothing in Jungkook’s eyes but the determination to please him. He wonders if it’s okay for Jungkook to continue spoiling him. He wonders if it’s okay to keep liking how Jungkook always aims to please him.

He puts him first, he takes good care of him – and above all else, he’s the most important to the heir right now.

--

The following days are hectic. Jungkook has been in and out of the boardroom attending meeting after meeting. He hasn't even had the opportunity to go down to Taehyung's floor to get lunch with him. It's frustrating not to see the other, but he knows Taehyung is just as busy.

He still goes back to Tae's place. That's one constant, even when they go through such busy weeks. Only by the time he gets home, Taehyung is sleeping already. It's okay, though, as long as Taehyung is there when he wakes up, either beside him or somewhere in the apartment, it's fine. Jungkook makes it a point to at least not skip breakfast with Tae.

It’s a routine that just happens naturally. Getting breakfast together while catching up with each other's busy lives, going to their respective offices, calling each other to remind not to skip lunch and then going back home separately because Jungkook has to stay later with his cousins to discuss some things or maybe for some business meetings that run later than planned.

Before he can even realize what he’s doing, fifteen minutes before his next scheduled meeting, Jungkook leaves his office, alarming Yuju. His secretary calls him, saying Namjoon is just about to come with the investors for the hotel in Malta. He quickly hits the close button on the elevator, so she cannot follow.

He needs to see Taehyung, or he'll seriously lose it. He thought he was doing well, he really did. But, the stress of not actually being with Taehyung in the last four days, has finally caught up with him.

He gets to see him, yes. Gets to sleep beside him, yes. Gets to eat breakfast with him, also yes. But, he needs to hold the other. To hug him, even if it's just for a second, and it has to be today, right here, right now. For him to accomplish whatever there is left for him to do today, he needs to recharge. It's not enough that he just gets to see Taehyung anymore.

He needs to hold and be held.

He opens the door and immediately spots Taehyung standing behind Saeron with Jihoon and Donggyu. Those are the three people Taehyung needs for the project in Malta. They seem to be discussing something regarding that project, but as the older sees him, they stop. He even hears Taehyung saying he'll be right back before hurrying over to his side.

Taehyung knows his schedule, so he’s naturally surprised at seeing him there. Nonetheless, Taehyung leads Jungkook into his office, and the moment the door closes, he’s all over Taehyung, hugging him as tight as he can, and Taehyung returns it with equal affection.

"Ten minutes, baby. Stay still for ten minutes."

"Okay." Is all he says.

They are engulfed in silence for ten minutes. Jungkook can feel Taehyung surrender in his hold, as he did too. They are both exhausted, knowing it without complaining to each other. It's incredible how they fall into each other's arms to recharge. They seek each other's touch to be okay in a matter of seconds. This is how dependent they are on each other.

Jungkook gently and slowly lets Taehyung go, and kisses his forehead before leaving with only an "I'll see you later, Baby".  Taehyung only hums in reply, the past few minutes being enough to get them through this one dreadful day.

Taehyung has to go home alone again, at least that's what Jungkook expects, since he has another dinner meeting with the investors from Malta to finalize the draft of their contract, but as he loosens his tie to take a breather, he finds Taehyung sitting in his executive chair, sleeping, with his coat over his shoulders.

"Hey, Kooks. Are we convoying to the restaurant, or are we taking one car?"

He stops Namjoon from stepping into his office, earning a confused look, but as the older notices the sleeping Angel, he takes a step back.

"Convoying, Namjoon. I'll just see you there."

Namjoon nods in approval then bids him good-bye by giving him a small salute.

He moves behind Taehyung and takes his time to admire him. He plays with the older's hair, making Taehyung stir awake, immediately smiling at Jungkook. He stares at Taehyung. He really missed him.

"Is there something on my face? Why are you staring?" The older touches his face, thinking there's really something on his face.

"There is. Let me remove it for you." He ducks, takes Taehyung's face in both of his hands and pulls him in for a searing kiss.

Damn, he finally gets to kiss him. He's been without Taehyung's kisses for four days because of their dreadful schedules. It's hell.

He can feel Taehyung slowly leaving his seat to stand. They continue kissing until Taehyung is clinging around his neck, while Jungkook leans back against his executive table to support both of their weights.

Once they pulled away, he settles Taehyung on his lap to cuddle for a while.

"Baby, why are you still here? Donghyun is probably in the parking waiting for you. You should go."

"I told him I'm going back with you today." Taehyung hugs the heir, nuzzling against his neck affectionately. "I'll wait for you to finish your dinner meeting."

"But baby, " he pulls away from Taehyung, earning a pout from the older. "It might take longer than usual, and you need to get your sleep —"

"I can't go back with you?"

"I mean, of course, you can. But you might have to wait for me for a long time and —"

"I've waited for five years, waiting for an hour or two won't hurt." He jokes, making Jungkook grin. "Besides, I called Jiminie. I'm meeting him in the mall where you booked your dinner meeting. I can watch movies with him while we wait for you to finish. I can even get dinner with him. Just, I want us to go home together. Please?"

How can Jungkook say no when Taehyung is giving him that look? So, he makes sure that Taehyung is with Jimin in front of the cinemas, also leaving his credit card with the older (something Taehyung didn't want to accept but he heir insisted) before going to the restaurant where Namjoon booked their dinner meeting.

"Jimin, where the heck did you run off to?" Taehyung asks, almost yelling at his friend who ran from the theater. "Jungkookie will scold me if I wander around the mall alone! You know that."

He's looking around, hoping that there's someone on him, but Donghyun must've been told to leave since he'd be going home with the heir.

He's not paranoid about it, but he knows how Jungkook will be once he finds out that he was left alone. It's not like there are any threats against him inside a mall, but there's still a chance.

He chooses to stay at a café, not wanting to attract attention just because he's alone.

"Tae, sorry. Wait for me inside a cafe or something. I just really need to get my cousin's order for her; otherwise, she will yell at me."

"We can't go together? You know how Kookie hates me being alone, Jimin."

"What could possibly go wrong inside the mall, Tae? Come on."

"I'm just saying, okay? You know how much of a worrywart he is — one hot chocolate, please, thanks — he will scold you for leaving me if he comes here before you, so hurry the up."

"I know. I'll be back real quick, okay? Are you at Starbucks, fifth floor?"

"Yes. Come here before Jungkookie comes."

Jimin promises that he will be there before Jungkook, so he settles on a table for four since Yoongi might come with Jungkook to get Jimin as well.

It’s chill for the next fifteen minutes when a cake he's sure he didn't ask for is placed on the table. He’s confused, so he looks around, trying to see if it's from Jungkook since he told the younger where he is, though the heir hasn't replied. There is no Jungkook in the cafe.

"Ah, sorry. I didn't order this —"

"Oh, it's on the house." the girl who served the cake to him says. "One of our baristas likes you —" Taehyung starts to pack his things. There's no way he’s letting this happen. "— he's asking if it's okay to get your number. He said you're cute."

"Uh, I'm sorry. I have to go —"

"Oh, did we make you feel uncomfortable? We're sorry. But if you change your mind —" the girl places a small piece of paper and a pen on the table. "—just leave your number here and he'll collect it later."

The guy, whom he assumes to be the barista that claims to like him, is hiding behind the counter with two more baristas teasing him on the side. He thinks it's the manager behind him, trying to get him to look up. He’s about to say no again when the bell attached to the door chimes, and Jungkook comes in with Yoongi behind him and Namjoon, also on his phone, probably texting Jin his whereabouts. The heir is looking down at his phone, he suspects he'll be calling him, and he does since his phone starts ringing.

Jungkook looks up, and the smile on he wore when their eyes meet leaves in a matter of seconds once he sees the girl beside him, pushing a piece of paper and a pen.

Jungkook's strides to him are fast and intimidating, making the girl take a few steps back.

"Where the is Jimin?" Is his first question, eyes trained on the girl still. "And what the hell are you asking him to do?"

His foul-mouthed Kookie activated.

He quickly grabs hold of Jungkook's arms, forgetting his hot chocolate and the cake.

"Kookie, I think we should just meet Jiminie — oh there he is. Let's just go, okay?"

"What is she asking you to do?" Jungkook glares at the girl and toward the people behind the counter. Taehyung knows that there’ll be big trouble if they stay there longer. Jungkook is already shaken by Donggyu, he can't have him more shaken because of this.

"What's happening?"

"Chim, we should go. Let's go." He pushes Jungkook quite forcefully out of the cafe, but that doesn't stop the younger from glaring at the staff inside.

Jungkook isn't talking to any of them on their way to the parking lot. He is looking so pissed, so no one says a word.

In the car, Jungkook still doesn't talk, and it has him on the edge of his seat.

Even at Taehyung’s apartment, Jungkook still doesn't say anything until he dries off Taehyung's hair after the older is done with his bath. The latter can't take it anymore, so he grabs hold of Jungkook's wrists, stopping the heir from returning to the bathroom to take his own bath.

"Kookie, are you mad?" He asks, trying to look into the heir's eyes, but Jungkook isn't looking at him. "Kookie, Chim didn't mean to leave me for a long time. He's was back the soonest he could but —"

"That's not it. I'm mad at myself."

"Huh?" Taehyung's brows furrow in confusion. "Why are you mad —"

"Because you're not mine, Tae, and I have no rights in acting like you are. It frustrates me because I can only have myself to blame for all of this — whatever it is that's happening today is because of that stupid mistake of mine five years ago. I lost you, and it ing hurts every time I am reminded of it. It’s like everyone seems to be having fun in making me see it. I'm so ing —"

"Jungkook."

Taehyung's voice is icy, stopping all Jungkook’s words.

"There's no way I'm letting you go back to thinking that way again, stop."

Jungkook slumps before Taehyung pushes his head to lie on the older's thighs, seeking comfort.

"I'm sorry, Love... I just feel so defenseless right now, and I know it's my entire fault for —"

"I told you to stop." He hits Jungkook's head, though not hard enough to hurt, but hard enough to stop Jungkook from talking. “You know how I will never do that, right? Even before, I would never do things that will make you feel all bothered… we’ve talked about this before, right? Whatever bothers each other…” Taehyung urges Jungkook to follow up his words by caressing the younger’s exposed neck.

“… we talk about it.”

“Right… aren’t we back to start Kookie?”

“Yeah… sadly so.”

“Then, we start right where we begin. We talk about things that bother us – if it’s not okay, if it makes us uncomfortable – we are trying to understand things better now… let’s not repeat the same mistakes we made before. We hid things from each other, thinking it’ll make things better, but it only hurt us both, so now we’re here.”

“I know. I’m sorry, Tae. It’s just me –“

“No, it’s not just you – it’s us, Kookie. It’s always been us.” Jungkook looks up to meet Taehyung’s eyes, the older smiling down at him as he presses a kiss to his forehead. “Stop restraining yourself from acting like I’m yours because who else should I belong to if not you?” he pushes the heir’s bangs back, revealing more of his handsome features. “I won’t hold back either… Okay?”

“Okay…” he says as if hypnotized.

“You feeling better now?”

“Yeah… a little bit.”

“Just a little bit?” he pouts.

“Kiss me, then we’ll see.”

Jungkook is surprised when Taehyung leans to kiss him for a few seconds. His eyes are still wide when they part, earning a smile from the older.

“How about now? Feeling better?”

“You’re getting bolder, Kim Taehyung.” He teases, pinching the older’s sides not hard enough to hurt but still making the older flinch.

“Learned from the best.”

--

Taehyung waits in the restaurant where Baekhyun promised to meet him, along with Jin and Jimin. They are discussing wedding preparations when Baekhyun arrives.

It’s the weekend. The discussing of all things wedding-related being really just an excuse to hang out. Taehyung will be leaving for Malta on Sunday evening. It’s going to be a week-long trip with his chosen team members, as the Malta Hotel Project kicks off. They’re supposed to stay there for a month in all honesty, but Taehyung being the head of the Design Department, has a lot of WIP that needs his close attention; he just can’t leave for too long. The same goes for Jungkook as well, so Taehyung will return to Korea with Jungkook after a week. He doesn’t want to stay behind without the younger anyway, separation seems to be too hard for them.

Namjoon will be staying there for two weeks to monitor the start of the development, making Jin sad because even though he understands, he’ll be home and planning their wedding alone.

“So, have you guys finalized everything with regards to your wedding?” Jimin asks after taking a sip of his guava juice. “Knowing you two, I doubt you said yes on any item the first time.”

“Oh gosh, don’t even start.” Baekhyun whines, sliding down on his seat. “I never knew a wedding is this stressful to plan. How are you holding up, Jin?”

“I’m fine. I know exactly what I want, so that helps.” Jin shrugs, hiding the first ten copies of their not so final wedding invitation in his bag. He just showed it to them earlier, and both Jimin and he squealed upon seeing them because it’s just so Jin to design his own wedding invitation so clean like that. “We’re on our final phase now, as I am considering Namjoon’s schedule. He’s handling my family’s and JGC after all.”

“Don’t you want to go back to working, hyung?” Taehyung asked, reaching for his cupcake. “Or am I wrong? Namjoon-hyung asked you to stop working, right?”

The older smiles, remembering how Namjoon made him stop working, and it was close to begging, but that’s a story for another day. “I am working, just not so full time right now, as I am planning our wedding. That has Namjoon’s hands more full than usual.”

“The struggle of having a multi-billionaire boyfriend, huh?” Baekhyun exclaims almost whining but with a smile because he can very much relate to the situation.

“I’m not even close to what you and Tae have.” Jin continues, giggling when that stops Taehyung from eating. “Yours is the CEO of their empire. Good luck when it’s your turn planning your own wedding. Jiminie, too. Yoongi is risky with where he puts his money and is also the CEO of his newly founded business – good luck, guys!”

“Yah, don’t scare the kids!” Baekhyun smacks Jin’s forearm as he saw Jimin’s and Taehyung’s faces gone white. “Look at them! They’ve turned pale.”

The older males laugh in synchronicity, finding it funny that the mere statement can make the younger ones to go pale.

“But seriously, I would like to see Taehyung in this situation. Jungkook's got bigger responsibilities. JGC alone is already huge, what more when his mom’s company joins his?” Jimin joins the teasing.

“Yah, stop. Why are you even talking about it like this when you’re all so worried we would this up again?” that stops the three older lads, making Taehyung roll his eyes in annoyance. “Besides, Jungkook has always been full of responsibility. But I doubt I’ll be left alone in deciding our own wedding. He won’t leave me alone with these things.”

“Wow, the confidence you have over your hubby is so high, Tae-ah,” Jin smirks. “Well, it is Jungkook, so it’s Taehyung over the rest of the world.”

The teasing gets more intense after that statement from Jin, making him blush so hard.

Meanwhile, Jungkook and Chanyeol discovered that they both like working out. So now they’re in the gym elsewhere in the mall. The younger told Taehyung to come to the gym after their meeting, which explains why they’re all heading to the gym.

It’s Jungkook, Chanyeol, and Hoseok. Namjoon is not fond of the gym. Neither is Yoongi, but they are there as well, lifting weights.

Taehyung stops walking when he sees Jungkook sitting on one of the couches, head pulled back from laughing so hard at something Hoseok did. Beside him is Chanyeol, who is also laughing hard. He assumes the two are done with their routine, judging by how sweaty they are. What really stops Taehyung in his tracks is seeing Jungkook wearing a black tank top with open sides, paired with white sport shorts. His hands are covered in wraps, and there is a pair of boxing gloves beside him on the couch. Was he boxing before he came?

He can feel Jimin pushing him forward, which catches Jungkook’s attention, the heir’s eyes trained on him as he slowly makes his way to where he is seated. Jungkook scoots over to make space for him.

“Hi. You guys are done?”

“Yeah.” He says in a low voice, still looking at the heir. “How about you?”

“Yeah, Chanyeol and I just finished punching those punching bags, and we’re also done with our routine. It feels good to come to the gym again.”

“Ah…” He’s not sure if Jungkook is flexing his muscles on purpose to make Taehyung drool, but whatever it is that he’s about to say dies on his lips when Chanyeol asks the younger to go to the shower together – there are separate cubicles, let’s not think too much about that.

“Wait for me here, okay? Watch my bag for me.”

He just nods. Just like the others, Taehyung waits till their partners come out of the shower. Of course, Jimin and the others for blatantly staring at his CEO.

“Have you eaten anything?” Jungkook asks while putting his bag in the backseat of his car.

His CEO, now in black long sleeves, faded jeans and white sneakers – is looking undeniably cute now, with his hair still wet. The duality always gets Taehyung.

“Just one strawberry cupcake and a hot chocolate.” Jungkook holds his hand and leads him to the passenger seat before running for the driver’s seat. The younger doesn’t get in the car immediately, though, because he’s checking his phone. “Problem?”

“Nothing. What would you like to eat?”

“Let’s just order –“ his words are cut off by Jungkook’s phone ringing, flashing an international number. “Hey, someone’s calling you.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Hello?”

“Tae!”

Taehyung doesn’t listen as he answers the phone. “Is this Mr. Jeon’s phone number?”

“Yes, you’ve reached Jeon Jungkook’s number. Who is this?”

“Yes, we apologize for this urgent call, but we need to have him here in Japan for some urgent matters. Our hotel here will host the upcoming awards ceremony for authors, and we are yet to hear from the CEO. We understand that he has a tight and busy schedule, but the authors would very much want to see him in person and –“

“Hold on.” Taehyung cuts the other person off as he looks at Jungkook watching him. “There’s an event in our hotel in Japan, and you’re not going?”

“It’s colliding with the schedule in Malta, Tae.” He reasons, but that doesn’t impress Taehyung, who only raises his eyebrows. “I already told them during one of the conference calls that I will not be available on the days the event is scheduled. I can’t just cancel what’s official in my schedule, especially for an event that wasn’t originally planned with us. They are supposed to hold that event in the Tokyo Hotel.”

“But this is an opportunity for that hotel of ours in Tokyo, don’t you think?”

“It is, I do not deny that. But, my schedule has been set, and there’s no way I can accommodate them.”

“When is this?”

“On Tuesday. If I were to say yes, then I would have to leave tomorrow – the same day we’re headed to Malta.”

“Then cancel the first few days in Malta for Japan. I’ll be okay.”

“What?”

Jungkook is confused at the sudden decision Taehyung has made. “Tae, there’s no way I would do that.” He takes the phone and hangs up after telling them they’ll call back. “I understand your concern with the matters in our hotel in Japan, but my schedule was set before they even said yes to that event. I have no time to change what’s in my schedule. The investors in Malta are also waiting for me to come, and they’re expecting me to arrive with you.”

“But this is an equally important matter, Kookie.”

“I know but –“

“How about this… come with us to Malta then go to Japan from there.”

Jungkook shakes his head in disapproval. “We can’t do that. The travel time from Korea to Malta is already over 12 hours. Traveling from Malta to Japan is over 15 hours. We are leaving tomorrow at 11pm. We will be arriving in Malta at approximately 11am on Monday. The event in Japan is on Tuesday – if I were to leave for Japan, then I need to leave for it tomorrow.”

Taehyung nibbles on his lower lip, trying to think of a solution. It’s not that he doesn’t want to be with Jungkook in Malta, but the younger is needed somewhere else at the same time, and it’s also important for the younger to be there.

“Then how about you attend to those matters in Japan first, before joining us in Malta?”

“Tae –“

“No, hear me out. Namjoon-hyung is there, and he’ll be explaining things for you. We will also.” Jungkook declines the call from Namjoon. The older probably heard about the issue in Japan. “We’ll be fine if it’s just for a few days. You can go to Malta from Japan directly after the event.”

“The event will surely be in the evening, Tae.” Jungkook is still unwilling to go to Japan.

“Then leave in the evening? Is that so bad? I’ll pick you up at the Malta International Airport.”

“I don’t know, Tae… didn’t you plan a whole itinerary for us?”

“We can see to it on the weekend,” Taehyung reassures the heir. He quickly kisses Jungkook’s cheek before taking the heir’s phone that’s been flashing Namjoon’s name for a while now. “I’ll start working as soon we arrive there, so there’ll be less work for me from Friday onwards. What do you say?”

He contemplates for who knows how long before giving in. That gives Taehyung a go signal to answer Namjoon’s call.

“Hey, Kook-ah. I’ve heard about Japan. What is going on? Why did they accept that event without telling us beforehand? I told Yuju to decline through emails with an attachment of your schedule. This is clearly colliding with your schedule with us in Malta –“

“I know, and I understand, Namjoon. That being said, I’ll be joining you guys in Malta, probably on Thursday. Tell the investors what happened and apologize on my behalf –“

“WHAT? Jungkook, those investors are expecting to see you –“

“And I’m telling you that there are some changes, Hyung. Can’t you just tell them I can’t come on the day they expected to see me? I’ll join you guys on Thursday. Okay? I’m hanging up. We’re still in the parking lot at the mall.”

He then calls Yuju to tell her to confirm his attendance for the event. They go home in silence. After eating their dinner, Jungkook helps Taehyung to pack and vice versa. Jungkook also canceled his flight to Malta and asked Yuju to book his and her plane tickets for Japan. He also asked her to call Yoongi to inform him that he’ll be dragging the older with him to Japan. All this leads Jungkook to leave earlier than Taehyung and the others.

--

Jin is no longer surprised to see Taehyung in his and Namjoon’s home later in the morning. He can see Taehyung’s bloodshot eyes, a sign that he has hardly slept. Namjoon may have woken up earlier than he did because Taehyung is warmed up in a blanket with a hot chocolate placed before him.

“Did Jungkook leave for Japan?” the younger flinches at hearing his voice but doesn’t bother looking up. “I just heard from Namjoon. Who brought you here?”

“I drove myself here.” Is Taehyung’s short reply. He’s looking straight to nowhere, and Jin is worried, so he occupies the space beside the younger.

“That was dangerous, Tae… Did Namjoon prepare your chocolate drink?”

“I prepared it myself. He woke up when I rang the doorbell and opened up for me.”

He’s staring at the younger, worry visible in his eyes as Taehyung remains quiet. He lets out a sigh before patting the younger’s shoulder.

“Did you have your breakfast with Kook before he left for Japan?” Taehyung shakes his head. “Would you like some, then?” the younger shakes his head again and clutches the covers tighter as if he doesn’t want to talk anymore. “Would you like for me to call Jiminie so we can hang-out at least until you have to for your flight to Malta this evening?” that gains him a nod before tears break from Taehyung’s eyes. “Hey, come here, you little baby…”

Taehyung does as he is told and is immediately engulfed in a tight hug. “Why are you crying? I thought you said you’re okay now, and you already talked things through with Kookie?”

“It’s all me…” the younger stutters, holding Jin tighter. “It’s just me not ready to see him leave again… I know there will be a lot of these scenarios in the future, but – why does it have to be this early? I was just starting to get used to his presence again and then suddenly –“ he chokes on his own words before continuing. “I mean, I trust him… I really do. It’s the only thing left for me to do, hyung… but why is my heart so restless? Why am I tired? Why am I scared? Why am I here? Have I been lying to myself? Have I been pretending to be okay when I’m honestly not? Am I making myself believe all this time? I – I really don’t know anymore, hyung…”

“Did Jungkook see you like this before he left?” Jin is sure that Jungkook would not leave if he ever does, but then Taehyung shakes his head. “Did he just leave?”

“I was smiling the whole time he was approaching the door of my apartment… I acted like I just woke up as I bid him goodbye…”

“I see… because we’re both aware that Jungkook will never leave if he ever sees you like this…” he hugs the younger tighter again and doesn’t say anything until he calms down. He has nothing left to say. This is one of many things both need to understand as they dive into their relationship again. He’s not about to interfere. He had Namjoon scolding him because of that, and he heard some from Chanyeol after Baekhyun told him what happened at the breakfast date meeting.

When Taehyung finally calms down and falls asleep on his couch, Jin contacts Jimin, who hurries over to his place upon hearing Taehyung’s situation.

Both swear that Taehyung doesn’t wanna leave for Malta that evening, as the younger lazily heads to his flight with Namjoon and the rest of the Project Team.

Arriving at Malta makes Taehyung a little bit better. He slept on the plane, but not before they were asked to turn off their phones and talking to Jungkook.

The younger had long since arrived in Japan but was immediately asked for a very long meeting with the staff of the hotel. He shared that there was a bit of scolding from his side because of what happened, but the rest was their plans to make the event the best they ever have.

Jungkook wished them a good and safe flight. He reminded Taehyung to call right when they landed, which the older decides against because he really wanted to just take a bath, rest for a while, and then go out.

The place Namjoon rented for them is quite big – knowing Namjoon, he considered their number. There’s a room that can be for two persons but looks like a room for one person because there’s only one bed. The other room has two beds. The bedroom upstairs has three. The first room has its own bathroom; the second room needs to share the bathroom beside the kitchen, while the third room also has its own. Taehyung chooses the first room and lets the others decide on their own. He doesn’t wait for them to finalize the room assignments because he quickly slides his luggage inside the bedroom of his preference.

Jungkook will have to choose this room once he arrives. They will just share the bed. It’s what they do anyway.

With that in mind, he goes to the bathroom after taking out his change of clothes with a smile.

He just hopes that he will be able to make it till the heir comes. He misses him more than when he left for Canada five years ago.

--

He just finished talking to Namjoon. His cousin told him that Taehyung is sleeping, hence why he’s not answering his calls. The older did tell him he’d call later because he’d rather rest once he arrived in Malta.

He misses Taehyung. So much that he wants to pack his things and just go to where the older is, but he knows he can’t do that, and Taehyung won’t be happy if he does.

A knock on his suite door pulls him out of his reverie. Yuju comes in with his formal clothing for tomorrow’s event.

“Here’s your clothes for tomorrow, Mr. Jeon. Would you like for me to order your dinner for you, Sir?”

“No. You can leave now, Yuju. I will call you if I need anything.”

“Alright, Sir.”

Japan is 8 hours ahead of Malta, and Jungkook can only curse at the time difference between him and Taehyung again. In his mind, it’s probably past noon in Malta since it’s dinner time in Japan. He wants to at least eat with Taehyung – even if it’s through facetime – just like how they did it before when he was in Canada.

Before he gets sad because of his thoughts, he quickly opens his laptop to take a look for whatever he can work on in advance so he can get through his days faster.

It is before midnight (in Japan), and while he is speaking with Namjoon through his phone, he can hear Taehyung in the background.

“Is that Tae?”

“Yeah, he just woke up – yes, it’s Jungkook, Tae… okay, I’ll let him know – hey, he said to call him after we drop this call.”

“I’m dropping this call. We can talk tomorrow, err… timezones. Just call me if a problem arises.”

“Will do, partner.”

As he bids Namjoon good-bye, he’s quick to dial Taehyung’s number, and when connected, he lets go of all the stress in his body by saying,

“Hi, Love… how’s sleep?” he hears Taehyung chuckle, and there’s movement from the other side that sounds like the bed – Taehyung goes back to bed. “Have you had your lunch before you slept after you arrived there?”

“No… forgot to.”

He clicks his tongue, worried that Taehyung is starving, or something. “Then go grab some dinner with Namjoon. He said he’s taking you guys out for dinner.”

“Didn’t know that… will do later. How about you, Kookie? How’s Japan?” He can imagine Taehyung positioning himself against the headboard of the bed. “You on tomorrow?”

“Yeah, sadly so…” he sighs, not hiding the stress in his voice. “I’m too tired for all of this already. I want to go there.”

“You can’t, though… You need to finish everything before coming here… talking about that, when is your flight to here? I mean, what time?”

“Tuesday evening… after I give my opening remarks and after greeting the guests, I will be flying to Malta. I’ll probably join you on Wednesday, mid-morning…”

“Two days without you, huh? I can wait until then… two days is short.”

Jungkook freezes for a moment, and he doesn’t have to be where Taehyung is to know he was caught off guard with his own words. He heard those words before… Taehyung said those words to him before.

Three years without you, huh? I – I can wait until then… three years is short.

The crying Taehyung tried to suppress years ago came to him, and it brought a sad smile to his lips as he tries to keep those thoughts away from his mind.

“Yeah… it’s short. I’ll be beside you after two days, Tae… This time, I promise I will. Whatever it takes.”

He’s not sure if Taehyung chuckles at that; he’s too busy clutching his chest because it hurts to hear anything that goes after his words. He hears Taehyung, though… he hears him say;

“You’re worth the wait, Kookie… I know you are because you come back to me. True Love has a habit of coming back… and you’re my true love.”

--

“The ring of eternal promise…” he muttered under his breath as he walked past that section of the jewelry store he was in with his mom and brother.

“Found something you want?” Jihyun asked beside him after asking one staff to pack the necklace she would gift his grandmother. She saw where her son was looking, and a smile broke her lips. “That would suit you…”

“The other one would suit, Tae…”

Jihyun was taken back by her son’s words but didn’t react to it. This may be one of those times where Jungkook misses Taehyung the most.

“I wonder if he would’ve said yes if I asked him to marry me…”

“Jungkook –“

“Do you customize these rings?” he asked, cutting off his own mother from talking. “Because I’m taking it if you do.”

“Yes sir, we customize these rings because they are wedding rings.” The girl attending to him took out the rings and presented it to him. “What designs do you want it to have, sir? Engravement of your and your partner’s names?”

“Yes… this one, please engraved it with Jeon JK.” He said, putting down the ring he tried on. It’s big on him but only a little… he hoped by then that it’s the right size on Taehyung. “And this one… engrave it with the name of my lover…”

“Kim TH.”

--

He wakes up from the continuous knocking on his door. His right hand quickly flies to his wet cheeks, while his left-hand clutches his chest. It hurts. His heart hurts so much, and he doesn’t know why.

He’s having those dreams again… his memories from those years he wasn’t with Taehyung are haunting him again, and he likes to believe it’s because he’s not with him right now. Taehyung is nowhere near him right now. He remembers the pain – it’s precisely the same pain he used to have before when the communication lines between them were cut-off all because of his own doing.

All because of him… he almost lost Taehyung.

He is sweating and crying. He tries his best to answer whoever is knocking on his door by saying he’s coming. He looks at the time using his phone, it displays 4:07am.

“Yes, hyung?” it was Yoongi behind the door. “It’s only 4 o’clock… the are you –“ the older shoves his phone in Jungkook’s face, making Jungkook lean away from him. “The ?”

“… you’re in the same state, you two…” Yoongi shakes his head in total amusement, looking at his cousin’s face, though he knows he shouldn’t even be smiling right now. It’s just, his dongsaeng’s love surprises him all the time. “It’s Tae… he says he’s calling, and you’re not answering, so he ing called me. His voice are shaking but trying not to let me notice.”

“Wha –“ he takes the phone and closes the door after thanking Yoongi and apologizing.

“Love? What’s –“

“Are you okay?”

Yoongi is saying the truth. Taehyung’s voice is shaking, like he’s been crying.

“What? Yeah… I am. Sorry, my phone is charging, and it’s quite far from the bedside table.”

“It’s okay… It’s just that… I can’t sleep. Sorry… It’s 4 in the morning there, right? I just think that after I get to hear your voice, I will be able to sleep… sorry, Kookie –“

“Hey, baby… it’s fine. Is it 8pm there? And you’re already trying to sleep?” He quickly calculated the time difference they have and surprised that it is indeed too early for Taehyung to hit the bed (unless Taehyung is jetlagged). He’s not going to tell Taehyung that he just saved him from nightmares again. “It’s okay… we can talk. How do you feel right now?”

“…”

“Tae?”

“…”

“Love?”

“Sad… I miss you.”

He goes back to bed, takes something from under his pillows, and clutches it tightly as he smiles after hearing Taehyung’s words.

“I miss you too, Love… so much.” He opens the box where the rings he brought four years ago are safely kept. “I can’t wait to see you…”

He’s been keeping it safe for years. Wherever he goes, it’s always with him. The rings that scream their names… their own version of rings of eternal promise.

--