004: Scenery

OUR PREDESTINED END

A/N: SCENERY suits this chapter best, okay? It really does, fight me. (JK JK)

Okay first of all, you guys gave me something to laugh at when 99% of you thinks Saeron is the reason why Taehyung regretted of coming. Like - I'm not that eviiiiil~ Tehet.

Everybody, say thank you to my beta for submitting this chapter to me tonight! It's because of her there's an update today. <3

HOW'S EVERYONE'S VALENTINES DAY? Hope it went well~ (/o.o)/

--

"Taehyung? What are you doing here son? And in your indoor slippers, really? Are you –"

 

"You aren't hurt?" He asks Jungkook directly, who gulps loudly because - did Taehyung just talk to him with so much worry?

 

"This is?" The doctor asks; whom Taehyung didn't realize was be standing beside Jungkook's bed.

 

"Oh, that's Kim Taehyung. My son. Tae, this is the doctor tending to Jungkook."

 

"Uhm... Good evening."

 

"Likewise. Uh, he's not hurt badly, but he hit his head on the steering wheel and briefly lost consciousness. He was bleeding from a cut on his forehead when he came in, so we gave him stitches. Nothing serious."

 

"What exactly happened?" Jin asks, moving to take a closer look at Jungkook's busted forehead. "What made you lose control of your car?"

 

"Oh well -"

 

"It's entirely my fault. I'm so sorry..."

 

Taehyung raises his eyebrows toward the young lady hiding in the corner. She is holding on to a harness attached to a black Labrador dog. The vest on the dogs back has the words Service Dog in Training printed on it. The dog itself is sitting quietly with its head hung low as if it is sorry as well.

 

"The dog got away from me… He's black so he's more difficult to spot at night. I'm so sorry…"

 

"I avoided the dog once I saw him and crashed into a tree and –"

 

"Next time, maybe attach a leash also for better control. Labradors tend to get excited when they're outside." Taehyung directs at the girl, cutting Jungkook off.

 

Everyone in the room is focussed on Taehyung, but Jimin can see right through his best friend. Maybe the involvement of the dog has calmed him somewhat, but his eyes tell a different story.

 

"This dog is easy to spot. It's big. So why didn't you see it coming? Why were your eyes not focused on the road, huh?!"

 

He snapped, making Jungkook flinch, Sejin and Jongwan look around, Jimin almost lets out a snort of laughter, Yoongi's eyes widen, Jin hides behind Namjoon because he'll surely laugh because of everyone's reaction, Namjoon smirks and the grandparents smile, amused at Taehyung suddenly raising his voice towards Jungkook.

 

"Is this all you got? Your brain isn’t damaged? How about your skull? Your bones? Are they still intact? You aren't hurt anywhere else? Are you feeling dizzy? You’re not suffering from amnesia, right? Do you know who I am?" Taehyung examines Jungkook, who is watching him hover all over him. Taehyung is touching him. He is touching his body, looking for more injuries and then Taehyung leans forward, supporting himself with his hands of Jungkook's thighs as he examines the younger's forehead. It's stitched and no longer bleeding. "You just came back... What would have happened if you had hit the dog? You’d both be dead... Or what if you had driven faster when you hit the tree... What if the tree fell over crushing you in the car? Do you realize what that would do to your parents? To your family? To your friends? To me!? Where were you going so late at night anyway huh!? I will fight them! I swear to God, Jeon Jungkook, I –“

 

Jungkook holds on to both Taehyung's wrists and suddenly reality hits the older.

 

"Tae... I'm okay. I'm okay, Baby. Please don't cry anymore. That hurts me more... Please calm down. I'm okay."

 

Taehyung flinches away from Jungkook's hold and hurt is evident in the younger's eyes as he does so. He wipes away his tears and looks around. Everyone is looking at him worriedly.

 

"Tae?" Sejin asks beside him. "Son, are you okay?"

 

He stutters. He heard Jungkook called him with that endearment he longs to hear and now he can't find the words to answer, so he does what he thinks is best for him to do in the moment.

 

He runs.

 

Jungkook wants to run after him, but he is hampered by the machines he is attached to. A precautionary measure insisted upon by his grandparents. This leaves Sejin the choice to go after his son since Taehyung is still would not talk to Jimin.

 

 

Sejin finds his son seated in one of the hospital's waiting areas. Taehyung looks disturbed as he is staring into space. Tear stains still visible on his cheeks.

 

"Hey."

 

Taehyung blinks a couple of times before actually giving Sejin a glance and a tight smile.

 

"Hi."

 

"You okay?" He asks as he occupies the seat beside him. "You look kind of distressed."

 

"Maybe because I am."

 

"Tae... You know running away won't do you any good right?" He asks and his son fiddles his fingers to somehow avoid the conversation, but Sejin isn't having it. "Did he tell you what his reasons are for delaying to come back?"

 

"He did, yes... And -"

 

"And you didn't like his explanation?"

 

Taehyung doesn't answer, instead, he lets out a sigh.

 

"I was with Jongwan when he asked him to stop talking about him with you. At first, I thought he wanted you to get used of the idea of him not being around and maybe preparing you for the possibility that he might not return at all. I also knew he would return whether he wanted to or not unless he gave up the company his family had built for generations." Sejin taps his legs with his fingers, unease in his gaze. "I asked him why he would forbid him and everyone else to talk about him with you and he said he's doing it for you because he wants you to be happy. At the time, I was confused about what could possibly make him think that cutting himself out of your life could ever make you happy. But, Jongwan dismissed the conversation and just allow it to happen... When I asked Jongwan what his thoughts were on the situation, he said Jungkook probably misunderstood something... And I want to ask you if you think so too..."

 

"What do you think?"

 

"I think he did."

 

"Yeah, he did. He misunderstood me the whole time, he twisted my words around. That's what happened. He thought I was back with Minjae."

 

Sejin doesn't say anything at first, because he had thought of that possibility before. He saw how Taehyung got close with Minjae again and he knew the issues Jungkook had with him... It is quite logical that Jungkook would be jealous of his proximity to Taehyung. Sejin thinks he understands how Jungkook chose to handle the situation the way he did. From his point of view, it would hurt less to just let Taehyung go, they were already broken up anyway.

It doesn't sit well with him that Minjae is around his son, but he seems to be harmless now, so he never voiced it out loud. Despite treating Taehyung badly, he did help them with the case against Somi’s mother and his own father. And, Jungkook did approve of Jongwan’s request to give Minjae a position in JGC as compensation. Still...

 

"I mean... He did have issues with him, Tae."

 

"And yet... it still doesn’t give him any reason to believe that we’re back together, Dad."

 

"You don’t think that his situation at the time and the distance gave him so much negativity? Tae, that kid was afraid of losing you. Even a tiny little thing could have triggered that fear. You’ve always known that.”

 

“Hmm. So, he spent five whole years fixing his fear of losing me, by losing me? That doesn’t make any sense, Dad. My God. I’m not even upset that he was gone for so long. What I am upset about, is the idea that after all that we have been through together and after all we’ve experienced through your relationship with Jongwan-ssi, I thought we would be better than this.” Taehyung snaps and it stops Jongwan from approaching them. Jimin who is lurking behind him, stops too, almost bumping into Jongwan’s back. “I had hoped that after seeing what misunderstandings can do to ruin a relationship, we could at least be a little more original, you know? But, we aren’t any better and history is just repeating itself.”

 

"Taehyung. No amount of experience, good or bad, can teach a person to be better next time. They will just be more cautious, not better. Even with that awareness, you can still make a mess of things, but you get to choose whether you get out of it together or to let go.” Sejin holds his son’s hands and gives them a squeeze when he sees his beautiful eyes tearing up again. "I understand if you want to take some time off and think things through, but if being away from him, even with him being here hurts you; then I suggest you run up to him now and fix this."

 

"And what about my fear of him leaving me again?" Taehyung's voice breaks and Sejin feels his heart clench. It really pains him to see Tae cry. "I'm not going through that again, Dad... I've run out of energy for dealing with that... "

 

"Then don't. Tell Jungkook not to go. Or if he leaves, go with him. There are thousands of ways for you to keep him by your side, Tae. And I don't think he'd mind you following him around."

 

"That's crazy. I'm not going to do that."

 

"I know you won't." They both wheeze. "All I'm saying is, you both know really well now where you messed up, so start from there and fix it. That way, you'll have a new, better beginning with him and you'll definitely be different from Jongwan and I... You know better now, Tae... And I'm sure Jungkook knows better too. Jongwan and I knew better after all that happened between us and our families… and I’m confident we’re getting better every day. I think you know what I’m about to say, right?"

 

“Give yourself this chance to be happy again, Tae. You lost the chance for five years and now your happiness is back, admitted his mistakes and is more than willing to start over with you again… do not deny yourself something that could complete you. I’ve had enough of you crying and being hospitalized, Tae… but know that I will always be here to catch you when you fall. I love you, son.”

 

Taehyung moves to hug Sejin tightly and cries a little more. Jongwan and Jimin have long found their way back to Jungkook's room where he is still sitting up, with his back against the bed rail.

 

"Is Tae okay?" He asks, looking at them as they enter the room. "Please tell me you didn't let him drive home alone..."

 

"I don't think Sejin will ever let him drive alone, Kook," Jongwan says. "We'll be taking him back with us. We should leave and let you get some rest."

 

"O -"

 

The door creaks open and a smiling Sejin comes into view. Jungkook immediately spots the dampness on his clothes though and it breaks his heart.

 

"Is Tae, okay?" He asks again.

 

Sejin moves to where Jongwan is and nods.

 

"He's waiting for us in the lobby. We should go back now, right?" Sejin asks Jongwan.

 

"Will you be okay here, Kook?" Grandpa Jeon asks.

 

"I'll be fine, grandpa. Yes, you guys should leave now... Sorry for worrying you."

 

"It's nothing just don't do that again, okay? You nearly gave us all a heart attack."

 

Jungkook only smiles as Jongwan hugs him. "Don't tell mom... She'll worry."

 

"I won't... Although that will be pretty tough because I can never keep secrets from her."

 

"Well, I think you better start now dad." The father and son chuckle before letting go. "Take care on your way home. And please take good care of Tae…"

 

The Jeons step out of the room leaving only Jin, Jimin, Namjoon and Yoongi behind. Jungkook lies down on his bed and turns his back on his friends.

 

"Take care of Tae for me, hyungs... I can't do that right now so please do it for me..."

 

"You do remember he hates us too right? We did hide everything from him."

 

"We all know he can't hate you for long..."

 

Jungkook is probably crying but no one acknowledges it. By the time they all kissed his hair, wishing him a good night, they know he is.

 

"We'll get going now, Kook-ah... And, he can't be mad at you for long either... Just give him some time, okay?" Namjoon says as he closes the door behind him.

 

Jungkook does not respond.

 

--

 

It's Thursday and the meeting for the upcoming team building is about to start.

 

Jungkook is in attendance, despite being advised to remain in the hospital for another day; he refused on the basis that the room could be used for someone who needs it more.

 

The atmosphere in the board room is tense despite the happy topic of discussion. Some are blaming it on Jungkook and Taehyung. Taehyung is sitting a comfortable distance away from Jungkook who is sitting at his father's right hand.

 

"The majority has spoken and as requested, we will be closing Isla Perdida for three days and two nights to accommodate the JGC Team Building," Jongwan informs everyone who cheers from their seats. "It's still a bummer no one wants to give it a go in Jeju."

 

"Well, Isla Perdida is a top class resort hotel and the pride of JGC. We might as well use it to our own benefit." Namjoon speaks, smiling towards his Uncle. "It's been so long since I last visited there, maybe we should organize a party, Uncle."

 

"Well, we can. Just remember, our mansion is strictly off limits."

 

Nostalgia hits Taehyung and he subconsciously raises his head to look at Jungkook who is not surprisingly already looking at him.

 

It's been a silent wish by every one of JGC's employees to see the mansion on the island, but not even those employees at the hotel resort in Isla Perdida are granted permission to visit the mansion, something they all respect. The mansion itself cannot be seen from any part of the resort and the Jeons keep that side of the island extremely private. It is zoned off by a boundary and while guests may enjoy all the luxurious amenities and sights the resort has to offer, anyone who crosses the boundary is immediately evicted from the island.

 

It's funny how suddenly, the memories of Jungkook showing him around the whole island and the mansion floods his mind.

 

He looks away from Jungkook and focuses on Namjoon who is talking about the island and its attractions.

 

 

The meeting ends and Taehyung hurries out of the room with the other department heads, Jungkook can only watch him leave.

 

"Are you coming to this team building?" Namjoon asks him, sounding tired.

 

"Don't I kind of have to?" He asks back. They, aside from Yoongi, are the only ones left in the board room. "I'm leaving for Canada tomorrow though. This is only next."

 

"Yeah. We're leaving Thursday night while everybody else leaves Friday morning. Why do you need to be in Canada? Auntie needs help?"

 

"Yes. I have to close some deals... I'll be back Monday morning."

 

"And when are you taking over?"

 

"I'm officially the CEO starting next week, Joon. I'll be in on Tuesday."

 

"Sounds hectic."

 

"It is hectic." He groans as he stands stretching his limbs. " my life."

 

" to be you," Yoongi says after being silent for a long time, probably texting Jimin the details from the meeting.

                                                                   

"You're coming with Jiminie, aren't you?"

 

"Well, duh. Of course, I am. Who else should I bring with me?"

 

"And of course Jin is coming."

 

"Of course. Why am I not surprised anymore?" he takes out his phone and sends a message to Saeron about leaving for the island a day earlier along with his cousins and their significant others. “I’m going to ask Saeron to come with us. Is that okay? I promised her I’ll show her around.”

 

Namjoon eyes his cousin cautiously. “You’re not going to ask Taehyung to come?”

 

"Hyung, we know I can't." he sighs and Yoongi glares at Namjoon for bringing it up. "No, it's okay. I know what you're thinking… I know this could potentially mess things up even more, but I promised Sae and I will not break that promise just because I don't want any more problems with Taehyung."

 

"Kid, we understand. You're sounding a little defensive there, calm down." Yoongi pats his cousin's back to cut his reverie. "It's just, I think Namjoon just wants you to solve your with Taehyung soon because everything is ing with us all… it’s seriously a mess. Jimin has been crying because his best friend has been avoiding him since that day you came back.”

 

“And, I just felt the urged to ask because I know you want to ask him above anyone else." Namjoon adds.

 

“We’ll get there…”

 

“I'm sure you will, Kook. I can tell how much you miss him. Your eyes never lie.”

 

“I just hope he sees that too…"

 

--

 

Taehyung announces the venue to his team upon his return from the meeting. Everyone is ecstatic knowing they’ll be going to Isla Perdida for three days although it’s for Team Building; it’s still unbelievably exciting for everyone.

 

JGC’s Team Building has always been held somewhere else, never Isla Perdida, simply because no one wants to halt the Hotel, Beach and Resort’s operations. However, seeing as how the heir is back and will be taking over the reins as CEO from next week, the family has decided on the island in celebration.

 

“Now, we all know that Isla Perdida is where the Jeon family's main residence is. There will be strict rules to follow and we don’t want anyone of you to be sent off the island because you broke one, so please familiarise yourself with them.”

 

“Hyung, didn’t you design the mansion?”

 

Taehyung’s smile fades and turns serious as he glances at Jihoon. “Not the entire mansion… I just designed Jungkook’s room.”

 

His team looks at Jihoon as if he just said something stupid but Taehyung dismisses them.

 

“Get back to work. We’ll have another meeting regarding the Team Building next Thursday.”

 

Everyone goes back to work and Saeron follows Taehyung into his office, surprising him.

 

“Um, Boss Tae?”

 

“Yes, Saeron?”

 

“Uh, I have something to ask if it’s okay?”

 

“Sure. What is it?” he asks as he goes around his table. "You having a problem?"

 

“Ah, no. Everything’s fine, perfect even. I just, about this Team Building happening next week Friday.”

 

“Yeah? What about it? Can’t come?”

 

“No actually… Jungkook and I talked about visiting the island and since the Team Building is going to be there, he asked me to go with him and the others… they will leave on Thursday and… Is it okay for me to go with them or do you want me to leave with the team? Either way is totally fine with me… I just don’t want to be misunderstood.”

 

“Why exactly will I misunderstand you?” Taehyung asks, not looking up to where Saeron is. “And, yes, it’s okay. I don’t want to hold you back if the bosses are asking you to go with them a day earlier.”

 

“Oh…” Saeron fiddles with her fingers and looks around awkwardly. “Is that okay with you?”

 

“Of course. You are the daughter of their family friend. I get it that they probably want to show you around. I'm not a douche to go against that." Taehyung takes off his eyeglasses and looks at Saeron, who is already looking at him. "You don't have to act so awkwardly around me, Saeron. We're okay."

 

“Are you… are you sure about that?”

 

“Of course. I know if it isn’t you, one of my friends would have informed me of the matter and asking if it's okay, non-stop, and I’m telling that it is.”

 

"Jungkook and I… we're not like that, Taehyung," Saeron says, looking down as she does.

 

Taehyung is caught off guard with this information. Suddenly being hit with the answer to the question he's been too afraid to ask. He’s not even ready for it.

 

“Why are you telling me that?” he asks in a whisper.

 

Saeron, this time, stands to attention with both of her hands down her sides. “I just feel like telling you that because I know that's what you and the others thought, the first time you saw us together. We are nothing like that, Taehyung. I assure you –“

 

“I didn’t ask.”

 

“And you won’t, not even if you got fed up, you'd just hurt yourself more," Saeron says defiantly and then sighs. "Look, I know how he felt during the period when he stopped calling you. I was there when he cried over not being able to go home to see you when he received the news of your hospitalization and –“

 

“Stop.”

 

The pen drops on Taehyung’s desk as he glares at Saeron, immobilizing the girl where she stands.

 

“Whatever issues we are having, it is none of your business. If Jungkook and I are going to work this out, we’ll be the ones talking to each other and not you or anyone talking for us. I am done letting others be involved in my relationship with him and I’m sorry, I’ll start with you. I don’t know and I don’t care about your relationship with him but thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding about you possibly dating. However, that isn’t the main issue I am having with him; so I would appreciate it if you shut up and don’t explain things on his behalf. He will do that himself once I’m ready to listen. Are we clear?”

 

"Yes, got it," Saeron says to end her conversation with Taehyung.

 

She murmurs "at least I tried" to herself as she exits the office.

 

Taehyung feels bad for snapping at the girl like that and he realizes how pressing the situation is because he's getting frustrated over it. He's feeling defeated. He tries not to give it too much thought, but it is hard being only a few steps away from the one you miss so much and yet are stopping yourself from reaching out because it still hurts.

 

It’s true. Nothing else bothers him but the fact that their friends hid the truth of Jungkook never really cutting everyone off. It hurts him that their friends went along with Jungkook's plans without even asking why. Without any consideration for how it might affect him.

 

He wants nothing more than to get back together with Jungkook. Especially now, after Saeron has eliminated herself from the equation. But, the idea that it could lead to another failure to make things work is scary. He's had enough of that.

 

“Tae?”

 

He blinks to find Namjoon waving one of his hands in front of his face. “Hyung?

 

“Yeah, hi. Um, you okay?”

 

“Uh… yeah. How long have you been standing there?”

 

"I've been here for almost three minutes," Namjoon says as he checks his wristwatch. “You wanna get some lunch with us? Or are you getting some with Yeonjunie? Is he being dropped here?”

 

“Yes… he’ll be here after school.”

 

“You can just take him with you, Tae. I miss the boy too. I still can’t believe my cousin asked you to take care of him when we’re all here to take care of him.”

 

“She probably thinks you’re too busy, hyung.”

 

“You’re busy too, Tae. Being the boss of the entire Design Department is a huge responsibility.”

 

 

At the very same moment, Jungkook is surprised by Yeonjun suddenly tackling him from behind as he steps out of the elevator. Yeonjun uses the service elevator which everyone in the company uses, while Jungkook used one only for the executives.

 

“Yeonjun? What are you doing here buddy?”

 

“Hello, Jungkookie-hyung…” the boy says shyly, making Jungkook smile and scoop him up to carry him.

 

“You just came back from daycare?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why aren’t you at the mansion though?”

 

"Mommy is finishing something for school this week so I'm staying with Taehyungie-hyung."

 

It’s cute how they all asked Yeonjun to call them hyung instead of Uncle because they claimed it the day he was born ‘we are too young to be called uncles’ and that came from Jin. The child addresses them as hyungs so as to not hurt their egos. Thinking about it is a funny thought for Jungkook because he agreed to it one hundred and one percent at the time.

 

“You’re back in his apartment?”

 

“Yup!” the kid chirps.

 

Jungkook continues making his way to the Design Department because he’s picking up Saeron for lunch.

 

“Can Jungkookie-hyung eat with us today?”

 

, is his first thought. It’s not because he doesn’t want to, but because he knows Taehyung isn’t ready.

 

“Well, I can always eat with you but not today, I guess?”

 

“Why? Are you fighting with Taetae?”

 

Bingo. “No, buddy… we just uh, don’t talk right now. I made him mad so…”

 

“I’m sure Taetae will forgive you… he’s got a big heart and he loves you so very much. He got a picture of you in his room.”

 

He stops walking and keeps the kid talking as he gives him his full attention. “Oh yeah? What is it like?”

 

"Just like the one, he got in his office. He said it was from your school in Canada."

 

The one where I’m holding a bouquet. “Oh… do you talk about me with Taehyungie-hyung?”

 

“Well… not all the time. We’re not together all the time.”

 

“But have you heard about me from him?”

 

The kid eagerly nods and that adds fuel to Jungkook's excitement. "When he visits the mansion and when he teaches me things, he would tell how we got the same eyes. Everyone says we have the same eyes."

 

“We do.”

 

“And Taehyungie-hyung always tells me how he loves your eyes… because it never lies. How can we tell eyes doesn’t lie, hyung?”

 

“I think we just know, buddy… but you’re still too young to know how.” Jungkook smiles and ruffles the kid’s hair. “Can I ask you something buddy?”

 

“Of course hyung! What is it?”

 

He puts the child down and kneels down so he can be the same height as Yeonjun.

 

“I know it’s unfair for me to ask this but right now, Taehyungie-hyung is upset because of me and he wouldn’t want even Jiminie-hyung to come and hang out with him. I only have you left beside him so… can you take care of him for me? Just until the day, I fixed things with him and I'm allowed again to do it myself?"

 

Yeonjun tilts his head to the side, confused by his Jungkookie-hyung’s request. He’s trying to understand what he just said but nonetheless, he nods. “I can do that, hyung… but when I’m upset, Mommy comes to bug me until I forgive her for not letting me eat ice cream. She tells me why I can’t have it because it’ll hurt my tummy. If Taehyungie-hyung is upset, won’t you bug him until he forgives you?”

 

Jungkook smiles at that because he can either do that or make Taehyung even madder. "Well, that's not how it works for us, buddy."

 

“Aw, that’s sad…”

 

"Don't be sad, buddy. We'll be okay, I swear. Then we can hang out together."

 

“Pinky promise?”

 

He stares at the child’s pinky reaching toward him. “I’ve always been bad at making promises but, yeah. Pinky promise, buddy.”

 

“Okay! Great! I want to visit Lotte World and –“

 

“Yeonjun-ah?”

 

--

 

Taehyung almost laughs at the way Jungkook and Yeonjun turn their heads on him. The same doe eyes are looking at him questioningly surprised.

 

“I’ve been wondering when you’ll come.”

 

“I saw Jungkookie-hyung coming here, Taehyungie-hyung.”

 

“I can see that.” He kneels down and lets the boy kiss him on his cheek. Jungkook envies the child because he used to be free to do that to Taehyung. “Well, we’re going to eat out today with Namjoonie-hyung and Jinnie-hyung. Would you like that?”

 

"Oh, in that case, can we ask Jungkookie-hyung to come?"

 

Taehyung stills and meets Jungkook’s gaze.

 

Why is he looking at me like that?

 

“I mean, do you want him to join?”

 

“He said you’re mad at him and you probably won’t like it if he comes but… can we take him with us?”

 

This is why I love this kid, Jungkook thinks as he internally thanks his nephew.

 

“I – uh, well…”

 

Jungkook looks down at his shoes, feeling down. He is mulling over his plans to win Taehyung back and he wonders if Yeonjun will be allied to his cause. Might as well use his baby nephew to his advantage. “Yeonjun, I told you –“

 

“I think if he wants to, he can.”

 

Jungkook’s attention shoots to Taehyung, looking at him with wide eyes. “What?”

 

"He can come with us if he wants," Taehyung says, not breaking his eye contact with the other. “Maybe it’s time for him to make it up with you since he wasn’t around when you were born, don’t you think?”

 

“YES!” Yeonjun is quick to agree but Jungkook knows better. Taehyung is sending him double meanings through his words.

 

His lips break into a smile. “If it’s really okay with you… I just don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

 

“Do you have your car with you?” Namjoon asks Jungkook from where he was quietly observing.

 

“Uh – y-yeah. I do. Where are we getting lunch?”

 

“Jin says he wants to try the restaurant in Gangnam. We’ll probably be there for a long time. Do you have meetings, Tae?”

 

“I’m clear today and we’re not starting to design the executive in Gangnam until next month so no big projects right now. But, if we’re going to be out for a long time, let me inform Jihoon and the others.”

 

“Alright. Should I take the kid with me or?”

 

“We’ll take him with us.” Taehyung looks at Jungkook. “You okay with that?”

 

“Yeah, of course. Whatever you want.”

 

“Okay, wait for me here. Just a moment”

 

Taehyung moves back into their Department's office to inform everyone about his being late in returning from lunch. As he does, Jungkook hurriedly types a message to Saeron telling her he's canceling on her today.

 

Jeon: Hey Sae? I’m getting lunch with Tae and probably with the others… can you eat lunch by yourself?

 

Kim Saeron: I know. I can see you from here and yes! Go get your man back!

 

He smiles and looks at where Saeron is that moment.

 

Jeon: Thanks, Sae. I owe you.

 

--

 

It’s the Audi.  It feels weird for Taehyung to be getting into the car again after such a long time and he fears having a breakdown.

 

Jungkook is wearing something casual. A form-fitting black turtle neck that shows off his well-defined abs and arms, similarly, his black trousers hug his glutes and thighs to perfection. It makes Taehyung even more nervous since he is struggling to keep his eyes averted.

 

They are waiting for Yoongi in the car park because Namjoon decided to invite him, meaning Taehyung will probably see Jimin with Jin or Hoseok at the restaurant.

 

"You can get in the car, Taehyung," Jungkook says, leaning against the car, waiting to open the door for him.

 

"Yoongi-hyung is not here yet, so I'll wait with you."

 

Yeonjun is already tucked safely in the backseat and Taehyung slightly hesitates to talk now with just the two of them and Namjoon standing a few steps away.

 

He leans against the car as well, right beside Jungkook. “You sure you’re okay to be eating out with us? Why didn’t you ask Saeron to come?”

 

"Having me around makes you uncomfortable already. I don't think to take her with us will do any good."

 

Taehyung only hums and starts kicking imaginary pebbles on the ground. "She's really nice and talented. I've seen her work and it's awesome."

 

"She is. I wouldn't allow her to join your team if she wasn't."

 

Taehyung only hums again but doesn't say anything more. He's not ready to converse longer with Jungkook.

 

Once they spot Yoongi, whose eyes widen when it lands on the two of them,  Taehyung turns to open the door but Jungkook beats him to it.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Yoongi asks his cousins what is happening and why is Taehyung with them and if everything's okay already, but no one answers him.

 

Soon they’re driving away from JGC’s underground parking.

 

--

 

"I can't believe we're eating here." Yoongi, who is now looking at Jin with menacing eyes occupies the seat beside Jimin. "If you wanted to eat McDonald's, we could've just crossed the street from the office and we'd be there in a jiffy. Why did we have to drive all the way here?"

 

"Who invited you?" Jin sasses and looks at Yeonjun who is now eyeing the mini playground. "Besides, when I heard Yeonjun would be joining us, I immediately dragged Jimin here so we could eat normally."

 

"And if we're not eating in the restaurant you first decided on, we're not eating normally?"

 

“Shush, Yoongi. What would you like to have, Yeonjunie?”

 

“Uh… can I play first?”

 

“No buddy –“

 

“No Baby –“

 

Suddenly there’s silence surrounding their table and Yeonjun blinks cutely at Jungkook and Taehyung who reached for each of his hands.

 

"I mean… we should order first, right? Then you can play." Taehyung says and the boy nods. "What would you like to have?"

 

“Can I get fries? Are we keeping this from mommy again?”

 

“Of course to both questions.”

 

“Yay! Then I want my meal to have fries, please. I don't care what else comes with it. You can decide for me, Taehyungie-hyung."

 

“Alright. Go and play now.”

 

“Okay!”

 

“Don’t run or you’ll hurt yourself!”

 

“Yes!”

 

As they watch the boy go to the play area, Taehyung gets up from crouching and turns to Jungkook as he takes out his wallet.

 

“I’ll pay for –“

 

"I've got it. You don't have to pay for you and Yeonjun. I don't mind paying for you."

 

"Well, I do mind. I'm not your relative or anything of the sort, so let me pay for my food."

 

"Okay!" Jin interjects as he pushes first Taehyung to sit down and then Jungkook. “We will order for you and we will be paying, so no need to fight now."

 

“We aren’t fighting. I’m just saying –“

 

"Yeah yeah, we know, but I'm paying, okay? I invited all of you out so I will pay for everyone's food. I know what you want, Namjoon, babe, come with me."

 

“Be right there.” Namjoon was helping Yeonjun take off his shoes and then he’s running to where Jin is. “Everyone knows what they want?”

 

"Yes. So we'll go order, okay?"

 

“Sure babe." He says, briefly glancing at those seated around the table. "Be right back.”

 

And then there's silence. Jimin is taking Yoongi's tie off for him and quietly asking Yoongi how he is. Taehyung thanks the gods that Jimin knows him so well as to not even try to talk to him right now.

 

Being beside Jungkook though, who is now looking at something on his wrist, is surprisingly calming now. The younger still has that effect on him.

 

“What are you looking at?”

 

Jungkook looks away as fast as he can but his ears give him away. "N-Nothing…"

 

And of course, Taehyung hears him say you’re not wearing it. “You’re looking for the bracelet you gave me?”

 

“Did I voice that out loud?"

 

“You did.”

 

"Uh, well yeah… I'm just wondering where it is."

 

“You want me to return it to you?”

 

“No, Tae. I am just –“

 

"You found it inside my box together with the key, did you not?"

 

“I –“

 

“You know where it is.”

 

“I know…”

 

“Good.”

 

Yoongi coughs awkwardly and both of them snap out of it. “So Kook, I heard you’re flying back to Canada tomorrow?”

 

"Oh yes. There's a deal mom wants to close with a new business partner and since I helped mom with the initial negotiations, the associates want me to be present. Mom is more than capable, but essentially I think they just want to meet me."

 

"They do know you've only just arrived back in Korea after five years, right?"

 

"I don't know if mom told them, but I think she would have." The younger shrugs.

 

From where they are seated, he can see Yeonjun playing with other kids. At least the boy is open to playing with others. When he was Yeonjun's age, he rather read than played outside.

 

"It's going to be hectic for my first and second year of taking over JGC, it's to be expected. It's way too early for Junghyun to experience what I had to go through in my younger years… I know our grandparents are hard on me specifically, but it's because I chose for them to be strict with me."

 

“You always wanted to learn the hard way.” Yoongi comments. “In our family we all knew the pressure was harder on you, being the successor in our generation.

 

“As a kid, I always set the bar high for myself because I always wanted to be like my grandfather and my dad…”

 

“That’s actually mainly because those two have always been drilling it into your head that you’re bound to be like them in the future, Kook.”

 

“It doesn’t really make any difference.” Jungkook snorts. “It’s the life I’m used to.”

 

Taehyung watches Jungkook beside him as he speaks and he knows that even though he’s confident about this part of his life, the younger is just as scared as any normal person would be, if you are looking at all the responsibilities you have before you.

 

JGC is big already, Misun’s family's company, according to what he's heard, is not small at all, perhaps only slightly smaller than JGC if he were to put it in his perspective. Jungkook is meant to be the successor of both companies, a heavy burden at such a young age.

 

“I’ll probably get back on Monday but will be officially in on Tuesday.” He adds.

 

The food arrives and Jin takes Yeonjun from the playground directly to the bathroom to wash his hands.

 

"Is this how it's going to be then? You being in and out of the country because Auntie is in Canada while JGC is here in Korea?"

 

"Yes. I guess it is. It's not like they need me in Canada as much as JGC needs me, but I promised mom and my grandparents that I'll be available whenever they need me." Jungkook watches as Taehyung dries Yeonjun's hands before he starts eating. "Mom's company isn't as big as Dad's but it's still one of the biggest companies in Canada and it's partially in my name already, so I have responsibilities to take care of and to help whenever I can."

 

"It's not like your mom's company is yours as much as JGC right?" Jin asks, taking a fry as he does. "I mean, your mom will not dump it on you at the same time as your dad did with JGC."

 

"She wouldn't do that, she knows that I'm taking over JGC, but I don't want her to think that she can't rely on me, just because JGC is the most important right now."

 

" to be you, huh?" Jimin comments. "It must be tough to be you, Jungkook."

 

Taehyung remains silent beside him and Jungkook wonders if he is curious about everything he just said. It doesn't look like it.

 

"How's Junghyun?"

 

He perks to that question from Jimin. "Oh, he's doing great. Though, I haven't talked to him since I've come back. I think they're planning on coming next week to join the family in Isla Perdida. Mom hasn't confirmed it yet…" He trails off, reaches for a tissue and gives it to Taehyung once he notices Yeonjun messing with his ice cream.

 

Taehyung wipes Yeonjun's face clean and silently thanks Jungkook for the gesture.

 

The Taehyung from five years ago would have been conversing with everyone and been loud with Jimin, not quiet like he is now. Seeing how he has changed hurts Jungkook because it is apparent that he is the reason for it.

 

He lets out a frustrated sigh and moves to get up. Taehyung puts a hand on his wrist and looks up at him with his wide eyes.

 

"Where are you going?"

 

"Uh... I'm going to get a refill" He says, picking up the small cups provided for ketchup for Taehyung to see. "We ran out. Or do you not want ketchup on your fries?"

 

Taehyung slowly lets go and his gaze falls down to his hands.

 

"You okay, Tae?"

 

"Y-yes... Sorry for stopping you."

 

"No, it's fine. Would you like anything else? I can go order more food for you." He doesn't like seeing Taehyung only eat a double deluxe cheeseburger because - will it sustain him the whole day?

 

"No... Just -" you. "I don't need more food."

 

"Okay. I'll go get the ketchup then."

 

Taehyung gnaws on his lower lip, touched by the gesture Jungkook displayed. He hasn't even started eating yet, but he went to get a ketchup refill just because he noticed there's none left and his fries are still untouched.

 

"Taehyung."

 

Jin calls and the younger looks at him slowly.

 

"Are you okay? You look pale."

 

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just a little... I thought he was going to leave..."

 

Everybody stops eating and stares at Taehyung putting his hands together. They're trembling. Jimin hurriedly sits beside Taehyung, not caring if he makes Taehyung uncomfortable, but he isn’t pushed away when he holds Taehyung's hands.

 

“I’m such a mess… God, why am I like this?”

 

"No Tae… you're okay. It's okay for you to be this way. You're scared to lose him again, of course, you'll be anxious… Tae, you –"

 

“No Chim… it’s just, you were talking about him leaving and I’ve been trying to hold it all in, but this – “, he shows his shaking hands to his friends. “– I’m losing my just with the thought of him leaving, until he said he’ll be back on Monday and will be in on Tuesday and I’m so ing scared… what if he never comes back again?”

 

“Tae –“

 

“What’s going on?”

 

Jimin gets up from Jungkook's seat, who keeps his eyes on Taehyung as he occupies it again. Taehyung is watching his every move and as soon as he's seated beside him, Taehyung exhales.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Taehyung's hands slowly stop shaking as relaxes beside Jungkook.

 

Something Jimin notices.

 

--

 

Once lunch is done, the group splits up, all going in different directions, claiming errands and shopping need to be done; leaving Jungkook, Taehyung, and Yeonjun alone.

 

The boy's presence makes the vibe between the two less awkward, but still hesitant.

 

They are walking around the mall when Yeonjun says he's tired and wants some water.

 

"Why don't you guys sit here for a while as I go buy some water at the grocery store?" Jungkook guides Yeonjun to a bench and Taehyung only follows. He's getting a little tired and needs to sit as well, so he does as he is told.

 

"Do you want anything else?"

 

"Yeonjun, do you want anything else?" Taehyung directs the question at Yeonjun who only shakes his head. "I want banana milk."

 

That stops Jungkook in his tracks because that used to be their thing. He only used to share his banana milk with Taehyung before.

 

"Alright. I'll be back."

 

"Don't be long."

 

Jungkook just nods as he goes off. Taehyung feels Yeonjun's hand creeps on his own to hold it and soon the kid is leaning against him, softly snoring.

 

"He really does sleep everywhere."

 

Fortunately, that part of the mall is much less crowded, still, Jungkook is surprised to find both Yeonjun and Taehyung sleeping upon his return.

 

"How careless." He says smiling as he approaches.

 

Once seated beside Taehyung and after booping his nephew's nose, he goes through his phone to check whether the others are planning on leaving together. The response is negative as they planned for Taehyung and Jungkook to talk at least.

 

He wheezes and curses at his cousins, who are already on their way back to JGC.

 

He is messaging Hoseok when he suddenly feels a weight on his shoulder.

 

"You still smell the same..."

 

Jungkook doesn't move. Taehyung's eyes are slightly open now.

 

"I do?" He asks just for the heck of it.

 

"Yeah... And I hate how I still like how comfortable it makes me feel because I shouldn't be feeling this way now..."

 

"Tae..."

 

"Jungkook, we're still not okay. You know that, right?"

 

"I know... And I wouldn't force you to listen and I won't make excuses anymore just - don't push me away. Let me at least try and make it up to you... You don't have to take me back I just - let me be around you... I just want to see you."

 

I want you around too. Taehyung doesn't say it though and just lets their conversation end there.

 

"Let's go back to JGC." Is all that he says before gently moving away from Jungkook to pick up the sleeping Yeonjun beside him.

 

--

 

In Taehyung's office, Jungkook puts Yeonjun down gently on the couch.

 

Taehyung takes out the blanket and covers Yeonjun so he can sleep as he works.

 

"I guess I should get going. I need to go pack my bag."

 

Looking at Jungkook's back, Taehyung just studies the younger's physique, it is quite a view.

 

Jeon Jungkook will always be quite a view.

 

As the younger straighten up and turns, smiling, he feels the urge to hug him.

 

So he does.

 

Taehyung's arms go around Jungkook's waist and it tightens as Jungkook hugs him back as tightly.

 

", Tae..."

 

"Let me hug you for a sec... I've been wanting to since you came back. Don't talk."

 

"Hmm..."

 

The hug lasts longer than both of them anticipated because neither wants to let go.

 

Because it's always been something magical finding home through each other.

 

"I missed you so bad, Tae... And I know we're still not okay, but I just want you to know and I'll wait till you're ready to listen to me... I'm not going anywhere... Not anymore... I love you so bad, Baby... Always. It’s never changed."

 

"I said don't talk, didn't I?"

 

"I - sorry... Just wanted to let that out. I know I shouldn't because you're still upset but -"

 

"It's okay. I needed to hear it too... Go and pack your bags now. Say hi to Auntie Misun and Junghyun for me."

 

"I - yeah... I'll be back on Monday."

 

"I know. I heard."

 

"Hmm."

 

They hug a little longer before slowly letting each other go.

 

Taehyung clears his throat as he watches Jungkook press a kiss on Yeonjun's forehead.

 

"Call me once you’re done closing the deals you’re supposed to close..."

 

"I will."

 

Taehyung thinks that it's scary to ask that from Jungkook because he'll get himself hurt again if the other fails to keep his word...

 

"See you later, Tae."

 

But maybe it's because Jungkook never says good-bye that he is willing to always trust the other and wait for him, even without the assurance of him coming back. Some may call him stupid for doing so, but if he wants to make this work with Jungkook this time, running away from him is no longer an option?

 

He doesn’t think that running away from each other will really work anyway.

 

They’ve had five years to prove that it doesn't work, and Taehyung knows that repeating the past will not make any difference, solve anything.

 

One of them has to make a move to make a change and in Jungkook's and his case, that someone has to be him.

--

END NOTES:

Let me know how this chapter makes you feel. I know some will be upset and will comment, "WHY IS TAE DOING THE FIRST MOVE AGAIN?!" and some will think Jungkook is such a douche again but... I swear there'll be a move coming from Jungkook soon. Give him a chance. (_/\_)