11: Boy with Luv

OUR PREDESTINED END

"They look so stupidly perfect together."

Jimin is the one who points it out first, and the others can only agree. Looking at Jungkook while Yeonjun sits on his lap as Taehyung wipes the child's oily lips from all the barbecue he ate.

It's so natural for them to look so perfect together that everyone stops and stares for a while.

They all share the same thoughts. No one expected it, especially considering how and why the two broke up. It’s an unexpected outcome, solid proof that they survived the separation and is now back in each other’s arms. It’s a sight to behold, and so no-one dares to complain.

"You know, the way Jungkook looks at Taehyung always gets me. It's always so — I don't know — fond? Loving? Full of admiration? I don't even know if one can comprehend it fully." Jin adds. "It's no wonder Tae likes his eyes so much."

"It's emotional, right?" Namjoon agrees. "The way he looks at Tae is like he's seeing him for the first time. Like the day he met him, that day he fell in love."

"Why are you crackheads suddenly so emo?" Yoongi snickers beside Jimin. "I mean, I get the idea that you're amused by how Jungkook looks at Tae, but seriously? Are you only seeing it now? He's always looked at Taehyung like that."

"Yah, of course, we realized. It's just this time it is so blatantly obvious that it can’t be ignored." Jin rebuts, taking a sip of his wine. "Besides, don't you agree with us all?"

Yoongi eyes his cousin, who is taking something off Taehyung's head. "They've always been stupidly perfect for each other. No one else stands a chance with either of them. At least that's how I see it." Jungkook removes Yeonjun from his lap and says something to Taehyung before going inside the house. "One that holds the world for the other and one that is the very world for the other."

“Who’s emo now?” Jin just got glared at by Yoongi.

It’s going to be hard for the next few days to come, Jimin thinks, and he lets out a sigh.

He watches how Taehyung is restless the moment Jungkook leaves his seat, following his every move until he disappears from view. Taehyung takes hold of Yeonjun and hurries in their direction. Jiming know he’s not the only one who have seen that as they’ve all been watching the pair from a distance.

I knew it, is the first thought that crosses Jimin’s mind as Taehyung hurriedly hands Yeonjun over to them in order to follow Jungkook inside.

“I’ll go help Jungkook,” Taehyung says, and Jimin suppresses a snigger, knowing it’s a lie. “He said he’s going to take out more alcohol for us to share.”

“Isn’t there enough? The maids are on it, aren’t they? Why does he have to take it out on his own?” Yoongi enquires, taking Yeonjun to sit on his lap. “What is he up to?”

“I don’t know, but Yeonjun also wants ice cream, so maybe he’ll look for some in the kitchen.”

“Taehyung, relax. You’re shaking.”

Jimin looks at Jin who spoke. It’s not only the older that noticed how the younger is shaking, but all of them also did.

Taehyung freezes where he stands, slowly looking up to Jin and just stares back at him for a moment before occupying the vacant seat which they had saved for him earlier.

“Sorry… I just really can’t stand the feeling of him being away, even if it’s just for a while and I know that’s pathetic but –“

“You’re scared to lose him again, there’s no way that’s pathetic, Tae,” Hoseok remarks, taking in Taehyung’s appearance. They can all tell how worried he is. “You got to experience it for five years, and you only got him back here. Your actions and your feelings are all understandable.”

“What he said,” Jimin speaks up too to ease his best friend. “I didn’t know it could come back again…” Jin knows what the younger is saying, so it makes him smile a little. “…your clingy side, I mean.”

“Wha –“ Taehyung tries but rethinks. It’s in his nature to be clingy. He may not have been able to show Jungkook that side of him five years ago, or maybe Jungkook saw through him. That despite his independent attitude, he still wants to be taken care of by someone, to be pampered, to be spoiled, to be loved.

“Is it annoying?”

“What? No Tae! It is not!” Jimin hurries, almost abandoning his seat at the expression on Taehyungs face. “I didn’t tell you that for you to act like this, Tae! I just – you only act clingy to someone you’re comfortable with, someone you want in your life. It’s just how you are, and there is no mistake in that. Besides, Jungkook isn’t doing anything to stop you. He’s taking it all because –“

“Because he likes it too.” Saeron quickly takes over, surprising them all. “That guy likes affection. I’m sure you know that, Taehyung-ssi.”

“Yeah, he just doesn’t show it much, but he likes it. So stop worrying too much, the receiving end likes it as much as you do, Tae.” Jin joins in the coaxing.

Taehyung relaxes slowly, and before anyone can say something more, Jungkook is back with ice cream which he quickly gives to Yeonjun. “Here, buddy. It got your Junghyun-hyung’s name but who cares, right?” he ruffles the kid’s hair before occupying the seat beside Taehyung, whom he notices to be a little tense compared to when he left to get the ice cream. “Hey, you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Really? You seem tense. What happened?”

Nobody dares to say a word until Jongwan comes to get Jungkook from his seat. “Hey Kook-ah, your Grandfather is asking for you for a sec. Your aunt Mimi came with her daughter. Do you mind?”

“What? They’re here?” Jungkook asks, standing up from his seat as he looks around to try and find the person they mentioned. “No, I don’t mind Dad.” He says and then turns to Taehyung who is looking at him expectantly. “I’ll be back.”

“Okay.” Taehyung mumbles before watching Jungkook leave again, this time to greet someone from their family Taehyung has never even heard of. Maybe they’re from a different side of Korea or possibly from overseas, after all, he has not been introduced to everyone in the family, right? So he’ll never know who’s who.

He sighs as he can’t take his eyes off Jungkook, who is now smiling broadly. He can see a girl beside the older woman, who’s ruffling the younger’s hair, and he can feel it inside him that it’s not going to end well, but still, he doesn’t say anything.

“That’s Auntie Mimi with her daughter, Sharlotte. Aunt Mimi is Aunt Misun’s friend, so that makes them our family friend too. And she’s Jungkook’s godmother.” Namjoon speaks up across from him. He can see how Taehyung’s face changes as he watches Jungkook, he can feel the tension. “Well, this is a family gathering, after all, so we shouldn’t be surprised about anyone’s appearance, especially when they’re close friends of our family. We just didn’t know Auntie Misun would invite someone from her side of the family, knowing how awkward it could be.”

“When did they arrive?” Taehyung asks but doesn’t receive an answer from either Namjoor or Yoongi. Instead, the later changes the subject as he watches his cousin being engulfed in a hug by Sharlotte and damn, Taehyung’s glare suddenly goes so sharp it could kill.

“Looking at Jungkook, I think he didn’t know either.” Yoongi counters. “And damn, they’re coming our way.”

Everyone at their table sits up straight as they wait for Jungkook to come. Namjoon and Yoongi stand from their seats to greet them.

 “Hello, Aunt Mimi.” Namjoon greets and kisses the lady on her cheek with Yoongi copying his action after. “When did you arrive? We didn’t know you’d be here with Sharlotte. How are you, Shar?”

“Hey there. I’m fine, thank you for asking!” Sharlotte leaps to engulf Namjoon into a hug making Jin’s eyebrows twitch because, wow, this girl is too touchy and then she goes to Yoongi and earns a glare from Jimin. “I’ll be in my third year of college very soon and I’m excited about it. How about you guys? Same old?” Yoongi shrugs and Namjoon nods sharply. “By the way, Jungkook –“

“They wanted to see whom you guys fell in love with, Hyungs.” Jungkook moves besides Taehyung, dropping his hands on his shoulders and beams at his Aunt. “And this is mine, Aunt Mimi. This is Taehyung Kim. The one I used to tell you about while still in Canada. Tae, this is my godmother, Aunt Mimi and her daughter, Sharlotte.”

What the heck is happening?

Taehyung slowly stands and let out a smile he wishes doesn’t come across too awkward. Jeon Jungkook and his ways to surprise the living daylights out of him, huh?

“H-Hello. I’m Taehyung.”

“So this is the infamous love of your life, huh Jungkook?” Sharlotte says, pulling Taehyung into a hug too. “Nice to meet you. I thought Jungkook was lying the whole time he talked about you. You’re just too perfect in his stories to be true. Good to finally put a face to those stories.”

“Uh…” Taehyung hugs her back because he has no choice.

“The sought-after interior designer that works with JGC. Nice to meet you, dear. Jungkook told us all about you when we went to visit him in Canada a few weeks after he arrived there.”

Taehyung is pulled into another hug and he tries to relax because maybe this is their way of greeting someone in Canada.

“O-oh… nice to meet you too. I hope Jungkook spoke only good things about me.”

“Oh silly, he wouldn’t tell us anything bad about you, you’re the love of his life.”

“Auntie please.” Jungkook touches his ear, a gesture of shyness from the younger. “Anyway, they just really wanted to meet you, Tae. Sorry for the abrupt introduction. They’re leaving now.” The younger pushes his godmother and Sharlotte away. They protest of course because they have yet to meet Jimin and Jin, but Namjoon promises to introduce them later, something Taehyung finds amusing making him smile. “I’m sorry about that. It’s just that, I wanted you to meet that side of my family too, since they took care of me while I was in Canada with Mom and Junghyun. And, Aunt Mimi is the first person who ever really accepted – well, you know… mom and dad.”

“It’s okay, Jungkook. It’s not such a big deal, in fact, I’m thankful you introduced me to them… do they know who I am?” he asks, suddenly worried for his dad.

“Yeah, they know.” The younger giggles, looking at his Aunt Mimi from across the room, who has joined his mom, Tae’s mom, and their dads. “It was quite something they said, for my dad and me to fall for you and your Dad… they said its fate and was never a coincidence. Aunt Mimi was the first one who understood the situation – it was hard talking to them, and at first, they wanted to cut off all ties between Dad and us, but Mom put everything she had on the line to go against her family… she said she’ll run away, take us back to wherever land and won’t contact them ever again.”

This is the first time Taehyung hears any of this from Jungkook. The younger has never spoken about the situation with his mother’s side of the family after they learned of what happened. The burden does not fall on the Jeons alone, but all parties involved. Misun carried that responsibility with her family, but he never realized that Jungkook shouldered the burden for both families. Taehyung remembers their video calls and not once was there any indication that Jungkook was not okay, and he knows exactly why.

He didn’t want him to worry.

“Mom is the only daughter, and like dad, she’s the heiress of that side of the family, they wouldn’t lose her over something so petty. After I told them that we’re okay with everything and have already accepted it, I saw them cry for my brother and me… they were sad for us and heartbroken, especially my grandparents… they said they could never forgive Dad, but I told them how hard it is to hold a grudge.”

“And… are they not mad anymore?”

“I can’t say they’re not mad anymore, Tae… I believe they still hate dad, the very reason why they’re not here in attendance, but – “ Jungkook looks at where his parents are with Taehyung’s parents, laughing harmoniously with his Aunt Mimi. “My dad is happy, and my mom is content with what happened, I don’t care about others anymore. They’re all that matters to me. You guys are all that matters to me. I promised myself that whatever makes my loved ones happy, I will protect them too… so if that side of my family decided to be heartless, then… I can be too. There’s just no way I’d let anyone touch my family and their decisions… not anymore.”

Taehyung feels the slight squeeze in his chest because Jungkook – the one who used to think of getting revenge with his Dad’s lover – is swearing he’d protect whatever makes his loved ones happy. That includes his dad now because Jungkook long accepted that Sejin makes his father happy.

Subconsciously, Taehyung presses a hand against Jungkook’s head, surprising the younger.

“You became so mature, huh, Kookie?” he pulls the younger’s head down to press their foreheads together. “But this isn’t just your fight anymore. We’re all with you here, this is our fight… so don’t go thinking you’re alone anymore.”

It’s always just been Jungkook protecting everyone and Taehyung thinks that’s enough already.

“You’re here with me now, so let me stand beside you… Don’t just leave me watching you from the sidelines. You’ve been doing that since the day we met, and I’ve had enough of it, Jungkook… rely on me a little bit, hmm?”

“I just, Tae you don’t know how heartless people can be, and I don’t want you to suffer because of that.“

“Stop being stubborn and just let me protect you too.” Taehyung insists sternly. “Isn’t that a Taehyung kind of love?”

They were silent for a few seconds before Jungkook’s lips broke into a smile, and that smile turned to laughter, earning everyone’s attention back on him. Taehyung feels a little dumbstruck.

Jungkook is laughing, and it’s because of him.

As his laughter subsided, Jungkook wipes away his tears of mirth. “Yeah… I almost forgot the Taehyung kind of love… I missed it.”

Jimin wanted to scream at them to stop being chummy but held back because Taehyung ended up smiling brightly.

The night carries on like that, and the crowd soon starts to disperse. Taehyung is seated between Jimin and Jin, with Saeron right beside the eldest. They’re watching and laughing at the other males of the family play something stupid in the middle – a game which Jungkook ended up winning because there’s just no way he would lose.

“Hey, you okay?” Jimin asks beside him, giving him some cake at the same time. “You’re looking out of it for a second there.”

“Yeah, I’ve been asking you something for a while now, Tae. You okay?”

Jungkook is laughing because Namjoon fell on his and Taehyung simply can’t take his eyes off him. He can still hear his friends though he doesn’t want to acknowledge it. He’s too busy taking in Jungkook’s beauty.

“Sorry, what was it Jin-hyung? And thanks, Jimin.”

“Sure,” Jimin says while Jin exhales.

“What’s on your mind, Tae?”

Taehyung puts down the plate on the table and lets out a sigh. “Am I being greedy?”

The three turn their heads to Taehyung, and he continues. “I feel like if I continue acting like this, I’ll suffocate Jungkook and maybe he’ll leave me again for that reason.”

“Tae –“

“No, stop that tone Jimin. I’m not dumb. I know this act can push him away –“

“His feelings for you are not that shallow, Taehyung. Drop it.”

Jimin raises an eyebrow to that, and Saeron only turns to look back at her best friend. “Did you just drop honorifics?”

“Jimin, stop it. We both know Saeron is right and she doesn’t have to use honorifics all the time considering she wasn’t even raised here.”

“Right or wrong, this is Korea, she should keep the honorifics intact. And what’s that tone, Saeron?”

“Yah, Jimin-ah. Don’t fight.” Taehyung pushes his friend’s hands down on his lap and looks at Saeron, who didn’t even budge despite Jimin’s aggressive attitude. “I’m not saying his feelings for me are shallow. I just don’t trust myself when I’m like this… anyone can be a little bit suffocating sometimes, and I feel like I’ll be sooner or later. It makes sense that I’m a little insecure now, right?”

“You’re implying it, Taehyung.” Jimin almost grabs the girl by her shirt but is stopped again by both Jin and Taehyung this time. “But I already told you, that guy loves you so much. He’ll do anything to win you back. And after knowing him for so long, I just know that he’ll take whatever affection especially when it’s coming from you. If I must say, I think he’s the greedy one.”

Jimin hates it, but he agrees with that and seeing how Jin nods, he knows the older concurs; while his best friend is still contemplating, finding it hard to believe Saeron’s words.

Jungkook’s love for him is overwhelming, it kind of makes him feel unworthy of it sometimes. And somehow right now he’s reached the point of wondering whether he gives back just as much as Jungkook gives him or if his own love overwhelms the younger as well.

Jungkook’s love is protective to the point where he no longer protects himself. Jungkook’s type of love considers everyone else's feelings before his own – whether it’ll be the best for everyone or not. Jungkook’s love bears more than it shows. Jungkook’s love… is the kind of love only Kim Taehyung is lucky to receive.

The kind of love Taehyung feels unworthy of receiving.

“You know… there’s something I need to tell you –“ Taehyung hears Saeron say, but her attention is snatched away by Hoseok.

“Saeron-ssi!”

Saeron sits up straight, and Hoseok is there right in front of her, holding onto a Frisbee. “Do you want to play Frisbee with us?”

“Wha –“

“Come on! Let’s play!”

“W-Wait! Hoseok-ssi – I said wait!”

They watch the two as they go and Taehyung feels like Saeron was about to tell him something important, but pays it no mind when Jungkook catches his eye. He’s going inside the house with Namjoon, still smiling and he thinks of the chance they almost lost.

He just can’t help but feel sad about it.

Will it be different this time around? Will they be okay? Will he be okay?

Is he ready to do it again?

He’s happy Jungkook is back, and yes, he wants him back. But he’s contemplating, scared that things won’t work out. That something bad will happen again, and it will make him lose Jungkook for good.

And god, that’s scary. Is he really ready? Can he handle it?

The strong desire to get back together with Jungkook is there, but the fear of what ifs is just as intense.

After all, loving someone comes with pain, it’s not always happy. There are times when you just can’t understand each other, and it’ll make you fight. There will be tears, and there will be happiness.

Do they really know better now?

Can they handle things better now?

Taehyung can’t seem to calm himself down, he puts everything down on the table, afraid he might break something. There’s just too much inside his head, and he wonders how long he can take it.

“Taehyung, you’re overthinking.”

He blinked and finds Jin looking at him with worry. The older sighs and moves closer to him, takes his face into his hands and squeezes his cheeks.

“You’re overthinking, Taehyung-ah… Please don’t. You’ve done enough overthinking in the past… you have someone to share your burdens with now. Just talk to Kookie, okay? You’ve both got this… you’ll be fine. You’re together now… do you understand, Taehyung-ah?”

Taehyung nods making Jin smile, though the older knows that it didn’t actually calm Taehyung down, not even a bit. “You’ll be fine… it’s okay to be scared, it’s okay to have doubts but always talk things out with each other. That’s how it works… and you already know that.”

 

 

"Jungkookie?"

"Mom?" Jungkook gets up from crouching in front of the refrigerator and meets Misun's eyes. "What's wrong? Did something happe —"

"Can you come with me for a second?"

The heir furrows his eyebrows, confused but follows his mother anyway.

"Where are we off to, Mom?"

Misun is holding a key in one hand and Jungkook knows where this is going.

The library.

They enter together, with Misun still not talking. When they come to a halt in front of the bookshelves behind the table, Misun faces him with her usual warm smile.

"I won't be seeing you for a long time starting tomorrow, Jungkookie..."

"Mom —"

She caresses her son's cheeks affectionately before cutting him off. "I've been meaning to give you something — we meant to give you something."

"What?"

"I see you're both here."

Jungkook startles but relaxes when he realizes it's his father. "What are you two on about? And mom, what do you mean you've been meaning to give me something?”

"It's better to show you?"

"Show me what?"

Misun turns around to face the shelves again, removes a few books and there he finds a —

"There's a doorknob here?!" He exclaims, getting excited over the new discovery. "How come I didn't know?"

"You never explore this side of the bookshelves."

"I've read all the books here, though."

"Not the books on this side of the shelves. You were always just on the other shelves because you can't get near this one since it's right behind the swivel chair." Misun explains Jungkook concedes because that makes sense. "And you were never really here all your life, so you wouldn't know. Shall we go inside?"

"What's inside?"

Jongwan steps in first, switching on the lights before holding out his hands to Misun.

It’s like an underground basement, but Jungkook knows he just can’t call it that after he enters.

“This is your grandfather’s atelier when he still used to paint,” Jongwan says, already admiring his father’s work. “All the paintings and drawings you’re seeing is your grandfather’s work… and you almost have his art style, Kook-ah.”

Jungkook gasps rather loudly as he looks around. There are paintings around the walls, drawings, and photographs of the island before it was developed into what it is now. His gaze lingers to one particular portrait of his father holding him as a baby. But what really catches his eye is the huge box in the middle — a glass display case.

"Are those... What I think they are?"

"Yes. It is." Jongwan motions him toward it, and he gets a closer look at the jewels on display. "Our family's heirlooms."

"Oh, wow... I never knew we — isn't that the tiara mom wore on your wedding? I thought it was just a simple tiara?"

"No dear, it was worn by your grandmother too on her wedding day with your grandpa."

"Oh... Wow. It's beautiful — they're beautiful." He is admiring it for a few seconds before it hits him. He quickly looks at his parents, and the two are already smiling at him. "Why are you showing me these?"

"Have you seen the two necklaces in the middle?"

"Yes... I did."

The two necklaces in the middle are two halves that, when brought together, form one interlocking pendant, it’s platinum with what looks like sapphire, his birthstone, in the center.

"What's —"

"They're a gift from your dad and I. It's been long overdue, it was meant to be given to you when you graduated in England but... We didn't get the chance to." Misun nudges Jongwan beside her, and his father quickly takes off the glass covering. "The other half of it... is actually for Taehyung."

"For... Tae?"

Jongwan takes it out carefully. "If you detach them from each other, it's actually the moon and the sun. Your mom showed me these necklaces when we were looking for something to give you as a present. She said it reminded her of you and Taehyung while you were apart... because the sun and the moon never get to see each other. It's a sad meaning, but your mom wants you two to be together even if it's just symbolically... because to your mother, you're like the moon and Taehyung is the sun."

Jongwan carefully places the necklaces in Jungkook's hands and true to his word, it detaches. Jungkook thinks he’s seen it before but didn’t pay too much attention to it. He’s too mesmerized to remember where or when. "It's beautiful..."

"I wanted to give it to you, Kookie. Because finally... you get to be with your sun again."

He doesn't realize it at first, but Misun pulled him in for a hug, and he starts to cry, not daring to look away from the necklaces in his hands. "You made it back to each other again, Jungkook."

“Give it to Taehyung for me, okay? I owe him a lot…” she adds before letting go of her son. “And I am proud to be your mom, Kookie… always. Thank you for staying with us… thank you for making it back alive.”

“Seeing you with Taehyung now lets me know that you survived, Kook-ah…” Jongwan taps his shoulder. “And we owe him a lot for that… because his memory is what pulled you back to us. It may not seem so for everybody else, but it is for us...”

“Why are you making me cry? This is so uncool –“ he’s now bawling as he hugs Misun back tightly. “But I’m glad too… that I made it back. I’m glad I made it back… because I get to see things I almost lost and learned how to value them more than I already did before…”

They hug a little longer. Jongwan tells him stories he never knew about their family, Misun shows him his baby pictures and Junghyun’s too.

As he plans to leave first, he gets to see his parent’s as they reminisce about Jungkook and Junghyun’s childhood with the baby pictures and it makes him smile. They may no longer be together, but they are still his parents, and he’s happy if they are.

He steps out of the secret room, exits the office and finds Sejin standing against the wall with his phone.

“They’ll be out in a minute.” He says, startling the older. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you –“

“No… it’s um, it’s okay.” He tucks his phone back in his pocket and takes a good look at Jungkook. “You’ve grown taller, Jungkook-ah.”

The heir smiles and walks towards him slowly. “Yeah, I know… and you look happy, Sejin-ssi.”

“I do, huh?” the older chuckles. Jungkook leans on the opposite wall and they look at each other. “You too… you look happy.”

“Yeah… I will not deny it because I really am.”

They are silent for a long moment before Jungkook gets ready to leave again. But he does, he engulfs Sejin in a hug.

“Thank you… for making my dad happy.”

He walks away as fast as he can because his heart is racing, leaving a dumbfounded but happy Sejin behind.

“I should be the one thanking you for coming back and loving Taehyung… but okay.”

 

Clutching the necklaces in his hands, Jungkook gets ready for Taehyung's appearance. He knows the older will come to him after being spotted. He tucks both necklaces in the pocket of his jeans and waits.

In less than a minute, Taehyung comes through the door of his room and silently makes his way toward him. Jungkook feels like all the air is out of his lungs by the way Taehyung smiles at him.

The older roams his arms around the heir's thin waist, hugging him before putting his head on his chest to listen to Jungkook's heart.

"I was wondering what took you so long to come back... But then I felt the weight of your stare, and I just knew where to find you. What's on your mind, Kookie?"

"You." Jungkook nuzzles against Taehyung's neck, breathing in the familiar scent. "Always you, Tae."

A breathy chuckle leaves Taehyung before whispering, "Such a sap..."

They stay like that for who knows how long. Maybe it's just Taehyung not wanting to let go, or perhaps it's Jungkook not wanting to move, but the closeness eases their hearts and brings them comfort.

Jungkook thinks he's lucky enough to get to hold Taehyung so close. He knows he shouldn't be taking advantage like this, but he's determined to make the most of it while he’s still allowed to.

The small movement from Taehyung finally makes him break his hold, and the new position allows Jungkook to look at Taehyung more closely.

"There go your eyes again when you're looking at me..."

Taehyung gently reaches out to Jungkook's face, his touch feather lite on his skin. "Your pupils are bigger when you're looking at me."

"I already told you... it’s involuntary."

Maybe it's the way Taehyung touches him, or perhaps it's the way Jungkook holds him, but when their eyes lock, they are surprised to find tears pooling there.

"I really ing miss you, Tae... I miss you so much I don't even know why I feel like crying right now. I just — I had a good look at you, and suddenly my heart tightened because of the pain and the happiness. Seeing you brings me pain and happiness..."

"I'm glad we're on the same boat then... I wouldn't be here in front of you if I didn't miss you the moment you left your chair. You were gone for so long, and I knew I had to see you close for my heart's sake." Taehyung runs his fingers through Jungkook's smooth hair, untangling some tangled parts of it. "I miss you so much too, Kookie."

They stand in silence, staring at each other like they're trying to memorize every detail of each other’s features.

Jungkook gently caresses Taehyung's cheeks.

"Can I kiss you, Tae?"

It takes Taehyung a good minute to process what Jungkook asked, but before he can even answer the younger, Jungkook pulls away.

"I'm sorry. I'm being greedy, am I?" Jungkook lets out an awkward chuckle. "I just suddenly thought of it. Forget I asked —"

"You can." Taehyung ends the latter's rambles. "Kiss me, Jungkook."

It's Jungkook's turn to stand there in silence as if he's making sure he heard correctly. The tightening of Taehyung's hold on his waist tells him he heard it just right, so he leans in.

Taehyung stops breathing when they look into each other's eyes, and he’s sure Jungkook hesitates because he is still unsure, so he moves first to close the gap.

The moment their lips touch feels so right that Taehyung is sure it’s going to make him cry. Especially when Jungkook pulls him closer, deepening the kiss. Jungkook’s kiss conveys his longing, how much he missed him, and the intensity of it makes Taehyung’s knees weak.

He remembers Jungkook's kisses being really sweet and tender, but this time it's more intense, like he's hungry for it, craving for it.

Jungkook presses him against the wide stone balcony railing as he kisses him some more, and damn, you can't blame Taehyung for clinging on to the younger's neck for dear life when he picks him up to sit him on the railing. He has Jungkook right between his legs now as they continue kissing, the position making it more mind-blowing and it's literally taking Taehyung's breath away. That is until Taehyung gets a taste of something salty.

He opens his eyes and pulls away, stopping Jungkook when he chases his lips for more.

"Why are you crying, Kookie?"

When the younger opens his eyes, Taehyung moves to wipe his tears away.

"Kookie, why are you crying?" He asks again when the younger doesn't answer him. "What's wrong? Where does it hurt?"

Jungkook shakes his head as his hand moves to clutch his chest.

His heart.

"Kookie..."

", Tae..." Jungkook's eyes are closed again, this time, tightly. His hands find Taehyung's, so he's holding it like his life is depends on it. "I knew it... I — I just ing knew it..."

"Knew what?"

"That I will be reminded of everything I’ve almost lost when I kiss you... , I can't imagine it Tae. It hurts so much just imagining how I almost lost you for good, and —" he hiccups and Taehyung pulls the younger to hug him. Jungkook's head now pressed against his own chest. "I almost lost you, Baby... I almost —"

"But you didn't, Kookie. You're here, you found me again."

"And I still don't deserve you." Jungkook brokenly murmurs against Taehyung's chest. "I still don't ing deserve you, Tae... I'm scared to take one more step to you, even though I want to so badly. I'm scared, Tae. I'm really scared that one day, I'll look at you and you're unhappy with me... And then I'll lose you for good and me — I can't have that. I don't want that to —"

Ah… it’s not only me who’s scared and insecure… we both are. Taehyung thinks to himself, smiling a little.

"Hey, look at me, Kookie. Look at me." He forces Jungkook to look at him and damn, he hates seeing his Kookie cry so hard. "What will it take me to make you realize that you make me happy, Jungkook? What will it take me to make you realize that you will never ever lose me?"

"Tae..."

"No, you listen to me. I feel like you'll run away from me once I let go of you now and I'm not going through that again, Jungkook."

He breathes in before continuing. "You don't get to decide that you don't deserve me, I do. And if I really didn’t think so, I wouldn’t have waited this long just to see you again." He starts, leaning closer to bump his forehead against Jungkook's. "You don't get to say that you don't make me happy, I do. And right now, I need you to know, that there's just no way that I'm not happy — just knowing that you're coming back made me happy already. Knowing you're here to stay makes me happy. Knowing that you're willing to try again with me makes me happy... Can't you see that, Kookie? Just having you here is enough already. I'm happy. So please, never ever doubt your worth to me, because you mean so much to me... You don't know just how much of my world you hold."

Jungkook’s tears finally make sense to Taehyung. All the times the younger cried, was for his sake. Taehyung realizes that despite exuding confidence on the outside, the man he loves is full of fear and insecurity on the inside. Like Taehyung, he fears being left alone. Jungkook has never been chosen for himself, but for who he is, Heir to the Jeon empire, not for the person he is. Even though Taehyung tried to show him that he could be someone’s only choice, the time they shared five years ago was too short, and Jungkook ended up being the one who got hurt the most. Since then, he’s always born more of a burden than anyone knows

Taehyung now fully understands Jin’s words when he said that Jungkook left five years ago, alone and scared. He now fully understands that even though Jungkook left that day, it was still for him, not for himself. Because Jungkook wanted to be with Taehyung without doubting himself. Because for him, Taehyung doesn't deserve to be loved by someone as broken as he is himself. Damn, it hurts so bad. It hurts because there is someone so willing to love you to the point where they want to be perfect for you. It hurts to know that someone you see as perfect, feels like they aren’t worth it.

Taehyung suddenly thinks that if either of them are unworthy, it’s Taehyung, because Jungkook deserves all the love in the world. To outsiders, it may not seem so, but to him, Jungkook deserves that much.

He holds Jungkook in his arms, not caring of the eyes on them. He's aware that they can be seen from where everyone is, but he doesn't care anymore. Jungkook needs his attention, so he's giving it to him in full.

"I almost lost you too, Jungkook..." He says after a while, making Jungkook tense in his hold, almost alarming Taehyung, but he continues and holds him even tighter. "You were gone for five years, and I almost believed you wouldn't come back again... Thank God I'm able to hold you again... I'm able to look at your face again and admire it as much as I want... I'm able to look into your eyes again... I'm able to be held by you again... So thank you... by coming back, you’ve saved us both."

There is a long silence before Jungkook slowly pulls back to look at Taehyung. "Damn, my Jungkookie has swollen eyes." He teases, wiping the younger's cheeks, making him pout. "I hate it when your eyes are puffy and swollen, so never cry again. Do you understand?"

"I'll try... It's just —"

"It's just me, I know." He teases some more, but Jungkook doesn't say anything to correct him and he awkwardly averts his eyes and looks up to the night sky filled with stars. "I love you."

A kiss is felt against his neck before he feels Jungkook moving away from him to get something from his pocket and then there before him are necklaces. Jungkook detaches them, lets him hold the what seems to be a moon necklace before carefully putting the what appears to be the sun necklace on him.

Jungkook takes a good look at Taehyung who is still sitting on the railing, gasping because god, how can someone be so beautiful.

Jungkook caresses the other’s cheek, making Taehyung close his eyes as he is touched so carefully as if he’s fragile. “Mom is right… you’re the sun. My sun.”

A kiss on his forehead, then on the tip of his nose before Jungkook kisses him on his lips, this time it’s slow as if he’s trying to remember how it feels as if he wants it to go on forever.

They didn’t pull away that far from each other when it’s over.

Taehyung puts on Jungkook’s moon necklace, and like the younger, he takes a good look at him. “Now you mister, are my moon… aren’t you too cute for a moon?” they both chuckle as Jungkook helps him down from the railing, the necklaces looking so beautiful against their skins. “It suits you… you look like you’re mine.”

“Aren’t I already?”

“Hmm?” Taehyung blinks and smiles as Jungkook presses another kiss against his forehead.

“Yours… I’ve always been yours, Tae.”

“You better be… otherwise, I’ll fight anyone who will try to take you away from me.” He pouts, and Jungkook stops himself to kiss it away.

They are slowly making their way out of Jungkook’s room when Jungkook asks him a question slowing them even more.

"Hey, Tae?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I take you out for lunch every day?"

"Of course you can... but aren't you busy once we get back to Seoul?"

"Well, yes. But when I don't have any lunch meetings, I’ll take you out whenever I can. Then I'll take you home too... Is that okay?"

"I don't really mind, Kookie." Taehyung follows Jungkook out of the room. "I'll be swamped too once we get back to Seoul, but I'd like it if we can see each other whenever we can."

"You can go up to my floor, and I can go down to yours... Even at random times." Jungkook says expectantly. "Like if I can't see you at lunch because I'm scheduled for something else, I'll go down just to see you right after."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to do it, Tae. You won't allow me?"

"Er, I mean, I want it too so... do whatever you want. Just don't come randomly. Tell me beforehand, so I'll know."

Jungkook nods happily.

They continue discussing the things they’ll do once back in Seoul when they are startled by Namjoon rushing toward them.

"Where were you? I needed you!" The two blinks at him in confusion before realization dawns and they remember the rings in Namjoon's possession. "Damn, I'm freaking out. I'm starting to lose my ! Jin is so beautiful like — I can't believe I'm going to marry him and —"

"You haven't even proposed to him yet." Jungkook cuts off before turning his back to them.

"Where are you going?" Taehyung quickly grabs the hem of Jungkook's shirt. "Aren't we going back together?"

"I'll join you soon, Tae. I'm just going to get my camera. I need to record Namjoon’s proposal."

"You knew?"

"Yeah, he asked for my help. Wait, you knew too?"

"Are we seriously doing this right now?! I'm losing my here, in case you haven't noticed? I'm —"

"Hyung, calm down!" Taehyung says, putting his hands on the older’s shoulders. The gesture seems to relax Namjoon. “How do you plan to do this anyway? You didn't even tell me. Did you tell Jungkook?"

"No." Jungkook suddenly appears behind him. "Now that you mention it, you didn't tell me how you'll do it. Are you just kneeling and then that's it? No fireworks or anything?"

"We're on the island! How do you expect me to — should I cancel after all? I'll just do it some other time — maybe that's the better way to —"

"I won't let you cancel, hyung," TaeKook say in unison, making Jungkook giggle. "Hyung, you can't just cancel! Call Jimin and Yoongi — no, I'll tell Jimin myself. Jin-hyung will be suspicious if we're all suddenly gone."

Meanwhile, Jin watches Namjoon as he rushes to be inside the mansion, tense and nervous as – well, he expects him to be. After all, he’s in the same state. He stops himself from smiling after remembering what happened last night. Namjoon was a little drunk, but once he hit the bed, he fell asleep. Jin being the cuddly person that he is, of course, attached himself to Namjoon who of course hugged him back. But what made him freeze was when his hands went lower to feel his boyfriend, and that’s when he found it.

The rings.

It took every bit of self-control he had not to shout for joy, afraid to wake the other up. But it left him crying. It was hard to reason out the next morning as Namjoon looked at him, finding his eyes a little puffier than usually.

He knows it’s bad that he got curious and took a peek inside the box, but all that is left for him to do now is to wait for Namjoon to kneel down and pop the question. He’ll answer him in a jiffy, without any hesitation. He’s been waiting for it to happen all his life and he’s excited about it now.

He saw Taehyung coming out first from the mansion, rushing to where Jimin is. The latter’s eyes grew wide after he heard what Taehyung had to say, look at him and look away as fast as he did because he caught him already looking. His two best friends rush inside the mansion again, and he sighs.

“Those stupid kids, really…” but he only smiles. He won’t ruin the fun by telling them he already knows.

 

 

“So how are we going to do this?”

“Do you think I know? I only know I want to marry Jin, I never knew how I would propose.”

“You never thought about it before? You didn’t ever daydream and imagine it?”

“Well… I only knew I’d give him the rings but not how –“

“Oh damn hyung, you can be really stupid sometimes, huh? But first – can somebody tell me why just why –“ Jungkook moves a little bit to give Taehyung more space. “Why we are inside this cramped closet when we can discuss details outside in a more comfortable space?”

“Are you nuts!? Somebody might hear us!”

“We can discuss this in any room in this mansion, hyung!” Jungkook almost yells.

Jungkook doesn’t know, but Jimin came to him, pulling Taehyung with him and now they’re all stuck inside the guest room’s closet, which is not big enough to fit them all. Lucky that Yoongi and Hoseok haven’t joined them.

“Anyway, so now that we’re here, we should at least get down to it. We only have – two and a half hours before it’s midnight.” Jungkook informs, hands gradually moving to roam around Taehyung’s waist, subconsciously moving him in front of him so he can have more space. Now Jungkook is standing behind Taehyung facing Namjoon and Jimin, who is looking at the two as Taehyung shows Jungkook something on his phone. “Tae says it’ll be better to use whatever it is that we already have here with us. So how about we turn off the lights, hyung is scared of the dark and he’ll probably look for you.”

“How am I supposed to know where he is if –“ a sudden realization struck Namjoon. “Mom gave Jin a white moon bracelet. It glows in the dark… I can definitely know where he is if only he’s wearing it now.”

Jimin and Taehyung eye him, trying to remember if the older is wearing the said bracelet. They know what kind of bracelet Namjoon is talking about because of the older boasting about it before.

“I don’t think he has it with him right now though…” Taehyung mumbles. “…or should we ask?”

“That’ll be too obvious.”

“You know not being there for too long makes it obvious as well, right Jimin?”

Jungkook gives Taehyung back his phone before looking at his cousin in the sparse light emitting from it. “Let’s just go with turning off the lights. You just need to find Jin-hyung before the lights come back on again, right? I’ll use my camera’s flash to signal you where we are so you better pay attention. I’ll stand beside him, just wait for me to take a shot and go find us. Okay?”

“I’ll be with Jungkookie… Jimin, help Namjoon-hyung to locate us.” Taehyung steps out of the closet first, followed by Jungkook. “You’ll be able to see where we are from inside the house, but if you want to be closer, then you better stand just inside the door.”

“Now listen hyung, the moment you know where we are, you better hurry up and kneel in front of him, okay? Don’t get the wrong person! Remember, I’m beside hyung. We’ll do anything for you to kneel right in front of him so… okay?”

Namjoon nods, getting anxious again.

Jin spots Jungkook and Taehyung coming out first, not missing the camera hanging around the younger’s neck. Jungkook goes to Yoongi and whispers something that makes the older run back inside the mansion. Taehyung goes to Hoseok and does the same, soon the other is rushing inside as well.

He suddenly feels his chest tightening.

It’s finally happening.

He doesn’t move from his seat and continues tending to Yeonjun with Saeron. He wonders how Namjoon will do it, he’s excited, but at the same time, he doesn’t want to raise his expectations too high just in case it doesn’t happen tonight. Namjoon wants everyone that cares for them to be there and his parents aren’t there. He knows. He’s been with Namjoon for a long time. Long enough to know about his boyfriend’s idea of proposing. Besides, Namjoon mentioned it to him before, that when he proposes, everyone has to be there to witness it. So there’s a high chance that nothing will happen tonight because his own parents aren’t even in the country for a month.

He sighs. He shouldn’t have gotten his hopes up from the start. The only thing that cheers him is the knowledge that there are rings, they’re just being kept right now. He’s sure Namjoon will give it to him sooner or later so he’ll just wait.

He sighs again, before noticing that Taehyung is sitting beside Yeonjun and finding Saeron with Somi on the other side of the garden. “Hey. I’m back.”

“You were gone for a long time. Where were you?”

Taehyung averts his eyes, making Jin tilt his head. There are only two reasons why Taehyung averts his eyes from someone – either he’s trying to hide something from you, or he doesn’t want to tell you something even though he really wants to tell you that something.

“Tae?”

“Hmm?”

“You okay?”

“Yes hyung, of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” Taehyung giggles awkwardly, making Jin more suspicious.

Is it happening after all?

Jungkook sits on the other side of him which he finds silly because there’s an empty seat beside Taehyung and he thinks it’s weird for them not to sit together.

“Are you going to take pictures?” he asks the heir beside him who is playing with his camera, checking its features and settings. “You shouldn’t be sitting here if you are.”

“Nah, here is fine.” He said, still not looking at Jin.

Silence engulfs them, and suddenly, the lights go off, leaving Jin clutching at Jungkook’s arm tightly.

“Oh my gosh!” he exclaims. He can feel Jungkook struggling to take his hand off, but his hold only tightens. “Don’t leave me!” he says again, looking around. It’s pitch black, even the lights inside the mansion are off. “What the heck is happening? Is there a power failure or something? Doesn’t your mansion have those emergency lights or something?”

Jin knows about the emergency lights, Namjoon told him about it. It will automatically turn on in the case of a power outage.

“Why isn’t it turning on automatically? Is it broken?”

“Hyung, let go of me – I can’t, … hyung, let my arm go, okay? I’ll go check.”

“No! Don’t leave us! Tae? Where are you?”

“I’m here. I’m behind you hyung. Kookie, where’s your camera?”

“It’s stuck between my arms that Jin-hyung is holding! I can’t press the button!”

“I’ll help you… Jin-hyung can you move your hand a bit?”

“Why do you even have to take a picture when it’s pitch black –“

Jin’s words are interrupted because there are camera flashes beside him and for a second he can see. Taehyung is beside Jungkook now, holding Yeonjun who just so happen to be the one to press the button.

“I pressed it, hyungie!” Yeonjun exclaims before Taehyung takes him away and moves back to his other side again. “I pressed it three times!”

“Good job, baby!”

“Nice one, buddy!”

“What – what the heck is happening?”

Before either of them can answer him, there’s a commotion coming from the mansion, family members are panicking due to the sudden blackout, he can even hear Namjoon running, as if he’s rushing to go somewhere.

He heard him say, “there goes the flash! We need to go!” and then it’s silent again.

Jongwan is giving orders to go and check what happened for the lights to suddenly be off. The guards go running in random directions flashlights, and Jin feels like crying because the party he worked so hard to make perfect is ruined just like that.

He stands, wanting to go check what is happening for himself or maybe try to locate Jihyo, but he is being held in place by Jungkook.

“Where are you off to, hyung? Stay here. Don’t move around. It’s dangerous when it’s dark.”

“That’s why I’m leaving to check –“

“Jinnie, baby? Is this you?”

Jin doesn’t know why but he looks to his right side. He heard Namjoon on his right. “Jin, baby, stay put okay? I’m here. Just stay still and wait till the lights are on.”

“Hyung, I’m not Jin-hyung! He’s here on my left!”

“What? Taehyung? Where is Jin –“

The lights come on, leaving them all blinking with Jin looking at Namjoon who is kneeling on the grass, the box of rings are open, but he is right in front of Taehyung.

“What?” Jin asks, confused.

“What?” Namjoon asks, just as confused.

From the door of the mansion, he can hear Yoongi say, “You failed, you stupid nut!”

And Hoseok laughs hysterically with pliers in his hand.

--

They are sitting around the living room with their heads lowered under Jongwan’s scrutiny. He hasn’t started talking, but three cousins plus Hoseok are all bowed down in front of him.

Jin is looking at the four men, laughing but also holding onto the ring that’s slipped on his ring finger. Namjoon was holding onto his own ring as well, but since Jongwan called them, they can’t just hug and kiss and enjoy their moment. After all, Namjoon failed big time.

“What just happened? You scared the out of everyone out there.” Jongwan starts, thankful because his grandson is nowhere near them. “And Hoseok, who asked you to cut the power supply with pliers? What if you got hurt?”

“Eh, hehe… sorry, Uncle… we just started panicking not knowing how we’d turn the lights off so we just – you know… cut it.”

“Who told you to cut it?”

“The pliers were inside the electricity box so we just cut it… but Yoongi told me to do it.”

“I just – I’ve got nothing to say.” Yoongi gives up, shrugging before telling Namjoon congratulations.

“And who thought of this whole plan?”

“Jungkook did.” The trio says in unison, earning a hard glare from the heir.

“I didn’t tell you to cut the electricity manually. There’s a circuit breaker inside the electricity box, why didn’t you just go for that?” he asks and then turns to his father. “I told them that it’d be best to just turn off the lights.”

“You didn’t tell us in what way we should turn it off!”

“THAT’S COMMON SENSE”

“ENOUGH!” Jongwan roars, shutting the four up completely. “I can’t believe you pulled this dangerous stunt! You four are so stupid in making up a proposal plan. You put Hoseok’s life in danger and scared our friends and family. I can’t believe you did this!”

The four looks at each other accusingly. Then Jongwan continues, “Did Jin said yes?” Jongwan asks and Namjoon nods, Jin even raises his left hand to show Jongwan the ring. “Then at least there’s one good thing that happened out of this mess, right? If there weren’t, I’d have scolded you more.

“Sorry, dad.”

“Sorry, Uncle.”

Jongwan lets out a sigh before giving up on lecturing the four who giggle right after he leaves them.

Jin runs to Namjoon, throwing his arms around his neck and showering him with kisses. “This isn’t the ideal way I imagined you to propose, but it has been fun and definitely unforgettable.”

“Stop teasing me. I tried.”

“Is that why Jungkook was struggling to be let go so he could take a shot that would signal you where we were?”

“Yes…”

“That was so stupid, Namjoon.”

“I know… but it’s still a yes, right?” Namjoon asks insecurely. “It’s got to be yes still.”

“Of course… it’s still a yes, Namjoon…” he kisses the younger on the lips, “even if you weren’t kneeling in front of me.”

Namjoon whines making everyone laugh. Soon, they’re being congratulated by family and friends. Hoseok finally let go of the pliers to leap and hug Namjoon and Jin together, happy for both of his friends.

When it was Jin’s turn to hug Jungkook, thanking him for all his efforts even though it failed in the end, he can’t help but cry.

“Having you here is enough of a gift for me, Kookie… Thank you for coming back and witnessing Namjoon’s proposal. I’ve always prayed for it…”

“Stop crying, hyung… you deserved it. I’m sorry it failed somehow.”

“Hey, for me it’s still the best proposal. I just hoped someone was taking a video of it –“

“.” Jungkook suddenly pulls off from Jin’s hug, looks at his hyung with wide eyes and cursed again. “I FORGOT TO CAPTURE IT ON CAMERA!”

 

“Hey, hyung.”

Jin looks up from brushing Namjoon’s head and found Jimin and Taehyung by the door in their pajamas. Namjoon took the hint and leaves the bedroom not after dropping a kiss on Jin’s forehead.

“I’ll be in the library.”

After Namjoon left, Jimin and Taehyung hurry over to join Jin on the bed, engulfing the older in a hug like how they usually did when they still shared a place together.

They miss it, living together. They’ve always had each other’s backs and shared emotions. Jin expected the two to run after him soon enough, especially since they are well aware of how long he’s waited for Namjoon to ask for his hand in marriage. He’s wanted it so badly, and he’s happy that his friends were there to witness and share his happiness when it happened, even if it was somewhat of a failure. Even his parents overseas are happy and can’t wait to plan the wedding, which will be held outside Korea, of course.

Taehyung hums, comfortable as he hugs Jin tight and reminding the latter that Taehyung still gives the best hugs. Jimin gives the sweetest kisses, and Jungkook tells you everything you want to hear. He’s happy all three were present.

“I’m so happy for you, hyung.” Jimin starts, peeling himself from Jin before sitting up. “You’ve been waiting for this… how do you feel?”

“Happy.” He answers in a jiffy before sitting back up himself, leaving Taehyung the only one lying down. “I almost doubted him… I almost did it myself. But then he did these stupid things today, and right now, I’m just so happy I can’t even put it into words… I’m so glad I waited.”

The two younger lads are smiling at him, probably sharing the same feeling with him. “I just love him so much…”

“We know you do.”

“You’re going to help me with my wedding, right? You can’t say no.”

“We won’t.”

That makes Jin smile and hug the two again as he starts crying happy tears. “Thank you.”

They were merely catching up until the clock struck midnight. Jungkook came to get Taehyung who happened to fell asleep right before he got questioned about the necklace hanging around his neck, not that either Jin or Jimin noticed it sooner. They only had a glimpse of it when Taehyung turned, and the necklace fell out from his pajama top. Well, seeing how Jungkook is wearing one himself stopped them both. It’s clearly a couple necklace.

Taehyung relaxes as Jungkook lifts him up, pressed a kiss on his forehead before taking him out. Jimin finds it cute, but he’s confused at the same time.

“Did they… get back together?”

“Looks like it. They’re even wearing couple necklaces.”

“I don’t think they did,” Yoongi says, picking up Jimin from the bed, leaving the younger to roam his legs around his waist. “They’re just being themselves, I guess. Besides, they will tell us if they ever get back together. They will not keep us in the dark.”

Jungkook carefully tucks Taehyung in bed before going out again. His mother gave him the key earlier, so now he plans to go back there on his own. He wants to study the paintings his grandfather painted. He wants to make sure he saw one painting right.

He turns on the lights and looks at the paintings on the walls. It’s beautiful. He never knew his grandfather is such an amazing artist, but one particular painting caught his eye earlier.

“Dad…” he murmurs, looking up at the painting. It’s the painting where he’s being held as a baby by his father.

Jongwan is holding him in his arms, crying and smiling at the same time. But that isn’t the thing that caught his eye.

The necklace hanging around Jongwan’s neck… it was the necklace he’s wearing now. Meaning his father must’ve owned one too, before, but he’s not that sure.

He slowly lifts his hand, aiming to feel the painting but is stopped midway by a hand.

His grandfather’s hand.

“You must not touch paintings hastily, Jungkook-ah.”

“Grandpa… what are you –“

“I saw the lights on and decided to come to see for myself who left it open… I was surprised to see you here.” Joohyuk looks up to the same painting his grandson has been staring at and smiles a little. “What did your parents tell you about the necklace?”

“That mom showed dad the necklace when they’re trying to look for a gift for me, and that mom suggested they buy them to give it to Tae and me… why? Did they lie?”

Joohyuk lets out a breathy chuckle before ruffling his grandson’s hair. “They did.”

Jungkook follows Joohyuk until they’re out of the secret room. They both settle in the receiving area of that room then Joohyuk starts talking.

“That’s Misun’s gift to your dad on their wedding day…” Jungkook’s head turns so fast to look at his grandfather. He utters what then his grandfather continues. “You know, right? That she knew everything from the start. That Jongwan told her everything before they went on with their wedding… that day, your mother asked Jongwan to leave and be happy with Sejin, but your mom was pregnant with you so he couldn’t go. I know you think your dad never once chose you, but that day, he made the decision, he was calling the shots, and he chose you.”

“He was given a choice to leave that day, Kook-ah. Your grandmother and I witnessed your father cry for the first time on that day, and it broke us… but he wanted you. He was happy when he found out Misun was pregnant and he loved you the moment he knew about you. But your father wanted your mom to know everything that he is, he was giving Misun a choice, but in the end, Misun gave him the right to choose, saying it’ll be okay and they’d figure it out somehow if he wanted… but he still chose you.”

Jungkook didn’t know this part of the story. He only knows what the investigator told him five years ago, now he doesn’t know what and how to feel.

“Everything got messed up when you found out on your own five years ago, dear. And I believe there are some facts that Jongwan just silently agreed to because that’s what reached you by then but believe me… you were his only choice back then. You and your mom. He didn’t choose you just because he didn’t want to leave your mom behind, or you to become an abandoned child, but because he really wanted you and loves you and besides, if you weren’t his choice back then, do you really think Junghyun would have arrived?” Joohyuk chuckles then turns serious in an instant. “So please don’t think otherwise.”

“I… I don’t know what to say.” Jungkook’s hand unconsciously reaches for the necklace hanging around his neck. “Dad, he –“

“Yes, he hates explaining things. He’s scared he’ll mess it up instead of fixing whatever the mess is. He’s always been scared of losing you, so whatever you say goes.” Joohyuk sighs, pats his grandson’s shoulder affectionately before continuing. “Those necklaces were Misun’s gift to your dad… she wanted him to give the other half to Sejin so that at least, even if it’s just symbolically, they’d be together. But the other half never made it to Sejin-ssi, and you already know why.”

“Because… they broke up?”

Joohyuk nods, reaching for the picture frame of Jongwan on the table near him. “They’d long broken up even before your parent's wedding. After all, Taehyung was already two years old back then. It was the end for them – or so they thought. Because they met again many years later and then the rest is – you know it.”

Jungkook nods, dropping the matter because he already knows the rest of the story. His mom left with Junghyun and their family broke apart – or at least that’s what he believes in.

Joohyuk takes a good look at his grandson, and he smiles as he sees the very same necklace. “I’m glad the other half left you this time… I saw Taehyung wearing it, and I’m glad it made it to its owner this time.”

He puts the picture frame back in its place and takes his grandson’s hand into his own. “Don’t overthink on it Kook-ah. Your parents must’ve had some reasons why they didn’t tell you the truth about the necklaces.”

“I’m not mad about it… I even thought that they made someone do it exactly how it looks like Dad’s.” he giggles, this time reaching out for the necklace around his neck. “So it was originally theirs, huh?”

“It is. Anyway, go back to your room now and get some rest. Aren’t you all leaving tomorrow?”

“Yes… thanks for telling me, grandpa. It means a lot… and can you teach me your painting techniques? I happen to like your style.”

“Why? You’ve always been into clean styles.”

“I’ve grown to like it in monotone… thanks to you.”

He winks and leaves his grandfather alone in the office, bumping into his grandmother whom he kisses goodnight.

Yeah… it’s a good life. He wants to believe it is this time.

Taehyung stirs in his sleep as Jungkook tucks himself into bed. The older’s arm gently goes around his waist, making Jungkook press a kiss to his forehead.

“Where were you?” Taehyung mumbles in his sleepy state. “Where did you go?”

“Just went out to confirm something. Go back to sleep, baby.”

“Hmm, ‘kay.”

 

 

Taehyung wakes up with the other side of the bed empty. He can hear movements coming from outside the room and people talking. He sits up, looking around the room, but there's no Jungkook.

He leaves the bed groggily, there's no doubt he woke up badly with no one to hold beside him. He drags his feet as he moves to exit the room. Just as he opens the door, there are people everywhere, pictures being taken, cameras flashing. He finds his friends sitting around the dining table, but there's still no Jungkook around. With his eyes half closed, he descends the stairs and makes his way to where Jimin, Jin, and Saeron are and sits with them.

"What's all the ruckus?" He asks, reaching for an oat cookie. "Who are these people?"

"Didn't you hear about it?" Taehyung shakes his head in reply and Jin looking just as sleepy, sighs loudly. "They're taking pictures of Jungkook, his grandfather and Uncle Jongwan and they'll be on the cover of a magazine. Your Jungkook is currently dressing up for it."

"What? He didn't tell me about this."

"He wasn't informed either, don't worry," Jimin says from beside Saeron, chewing on his food with one eye closed. "Jin's mother-in-law didn't tell him because he'd have said no. You know just how difficult the guy is."

Jin hits Jimin's shoulder at the mention of his future mother-in-law. Taehyung eyes the ring on Jin's ring finger and can't help the envy rising inside him.

It's a beautiful ring, Jin deserves it. It's precisely what Jin imagined for the ring he always wanted to receive from Namjoon. It's very like him. He can't help but imagine what kind of ring Jungkook might give him. If they hadn't broken up five years ago, would they still be together now and married? Adopted kids? Adopted dogs? New house? Cars?

It's possible. But it didn't happen and Taehyung feels like puking. He regrets everything. He regrets letting Jungkook go five years ago. He should've said something back then, but he didn't.

They see Namjoon entering the house with Yoongi and Hoseok. The trio came from the hotel after fetching Hoseok's things since he'll be going back with them in the evening.

"Did the noise wake you guys up?" Namjoon asks after placing a kiss on Jin's forehead. "We apologize. We thought the photo shoot would be held at the hotel, but our grandparents gave approval for some of the magazine staff to come here for it instead."

"It's fine." Jin answers for them. "But what's the photoshoot about? I only know that it's for the cover of a magazine?"

"Well..." Namjoon scratches his nape before pulling a folded paper from his pocket. "It's for a renowned business magazine that features successful people in Korea. And since the news about Jungkook taking over JGC, which is considered one of the biggest companies in Korea, of course, he'd be sought after considering that he just got home after five years and with our grandparents."

"They took advantage of the opportunity of three generations of men who’ve lead JGC are here in one place." Yoongi takes over after asking for a cup of coffee. "It's also the right time to ask them about the controversial issues surrounding the family and also to ask them about something personal with the condition that their questions will be reviewed first before they ask anything."

"Are these the questions they will ask of them later?" Jimin eyes the paper, and Taehyung is curious, so he moves beside Jimin. "Did they sort this out already?"

"We did — Namjoon and I did."

Taehyung reads the questions, and most of them are business related like — how do you plan to stay as consistent as your grandfather and father in handling business? — And some are questions that are entirely on a personal level like — how was the UK? Any plans for settling down? If yes, at what age do you plan to tie the knot? Any partner? — And Taehyung can feel himself blushing because surely, Jungkook will keep every answer to those questions low-key. Right? It's not that it's a secret, they keep when it comes to their gender preference. In fact, if they were to ask about the story of Jungkook and Taehyung, some will definitely see it as a tragic love story.

They are still in that state when Jungkook makes his way down the stairs, looking at them curious as to what they are looking at. Attention is soon on him though, when the photographer, loudly gasps and exclaims:

"Oh my god, the heir is here!"

He's sure he heard Taehyung cuss from where he is, but he pays no attention to it as he's really pissed right now.

Just what the is all the commotion about?

His mother woke him so early, he thought she just wanted to say goodbye since they're leaving for Canada, but that clearly wasn’t the case. Misun rescheduled their flight for the evening, and the reason why he was woken up was to get ready for a scheduled photo shoot with his father and grandfather. He was confused as hell as he followed his mother’s instructions and before he knew it, he was asked to take a bath and soon enough he was facing several stylists — hairstylists, make-up artists, outfit coordinators and many more people he didn’t know what to call.

Now he's here, in front of more people he doesn’t know personally. Inside their home and he’s annoyed.

"What the is going on here?"

It was silent, no one daring to say a word. All three of them — Jungkook, Jongwan, and Joohyuk — are looking at everyone as if they're all not informed about this mess that's currently going on around them. Jongwan is buttoning his suit while his grandfather is trying — and failing — to fix his necktie.

Sejin joins Taehyung and his friends at the dining table, quietly observing the three confused men as they wait for any valid answers as to why there are people inside their home, why are they in suits and why are they posing for a magazine.

Misun moves to Jungkook, fixing her son's hair, he instinctively bends lower to help her reach.

"Mom, what is all of this?"

"Well, your Aunt Jihyo asked for my help. A magazine that mainly features business tycoons from Korea contacted her and asked for the possibility to feature you, and she said yes for all of you. So now you're here."

"What the —" Misun glares at him, and he’s reminded that there are kids around them. "—fudge? Is that why she made me dye my hair?"

"And you look gorgeous in it, don't worry. Now go! Join your grandpa and dad there."

"What is this even about?"

Misun pushes him to stand on the other side of his grandfather, who is now sitting in a rather throne like wingback chair.

"I can't believe we are once again forced to do something without our prior knowledge." He whines, tucking his hands inside his pockets.

"That's my daughter for you." His grandfather says, smiling though he isn't looking very pleased with the situation himself.

"I hate her sometimes." Is Jongwan’s words as he yawns. "I needed the sleep, and she ruined it."

"Okay gentlemen, before we start, I would like to thank you for finally giving us this opportunity to take shots of you and be on the cover of our magazine —"

"We didn't agree to any of this," Jongwan says, yawning once more.

"—I am Lee Seulbi, and I'll be your photographer today. So, we will be featuring the leaders of the renowned Jeon Group of Companies for three generations — with of course the heir as our main person." Jungkook doesn't say anything, but his face expresses his unhappiness with all of it. "The return of the heir to Korea was the talk of the town as he was seen arriving, not only with his grandparents but also with Kim Saeron, the controversial girlfriend."

Taehyung almost chokes on air, Saeron almost spurts out the tea from , and Jimin almost yells at the girl to get out.

 

 

This is the thing that bothers Taehyung at the moment. Despite being only ten floors away from him and despite knowing Jungkook has just been going to meeting after meeting since the moment they returned from their team building slash vacation weeks ago, is the fact that he can't see the younger at all.

That’s an exaggeration but… it’s how he feels okay? Can you blame him? He’s been away from Jungkook for five whole years. Cut him some slack!

Not that Jungkook doesn't pick him up whenever it's time to go home. It's not like he's not allowed to go up there to see the heir. It's not like they can't get lunch together either. But he still misses him so badly that he's not surprised to find himself in the executive elevator on his way up to where Jungkook is. Actually, it’s been three weeks since they came back from the island, but their first week back was spent between meetings and adjustments to everything. Taehyung goes to Jungkook more often than Jungkook comes to him since he started working in a different environment. He’s not sure how the work environment the heir used to have in England differs from this, but he’s sure that Jungkook needed time to adjust so he can fully grasp everything here in Korea.

Yes, it’s been three weeks since they came back from the island where all clarifications were made about Jungkook’s relationship and their family. Jungkook cleared up everything that very same day, all at once, no question was left unanswered. Maybe it just really pissed the younger off so much that he wanted everything to be transparent and perfectly understood.

That day, he was love struck once again. Jeon Jungkook in a completely yellow colored suit looked so godly, not to mention his red hair that was styled to perfection and those earrings that never once left his ears even after the photographer asked for it to be removed. The necklace around the younger’s neck was also asked to be removed, but Jungkook said it should stay or there would be no photoshoot. Of course, the magazine people didn’t want to go against the heir’s wishes, especially since they were not aware of the situation and were only complying out of courtesy.

As for Taehyung, he didn’t want the photoshoot to continue. After seeing how Jungkook looked like that day? He definitely didn’t want more girls crushing on him or something. He just knew the heir can be pretty dashing, in fact, his looks are just a bonus. Jungkook’s personality is definitely the main reason to fall for him. Then Jungkook clarified things like, how he has been off the market since before he left Korea five years ago, and that hasn’t changed. He’s still off the market and belongs to someone.

That someone is Kim Taehyung, standing just across the room, watching the whole thing unfold before him. Taehyung thinks he’s never blushed as much as he did that day. Jungkook just didn’t know how to stop himself from saying things about their relationship, he basically sent a message to everybody to back the off. It’s not like he’s complaining. In fact, he liked the heir’s way of handling things. It’s just, he was taken by surprise, he wasn’t informed. But then again, neither was anyone else. It just happened.

So yeah, he cannot handle it anymore. They have had little time for themselves in the last three weeks, and Taehyung has had enough. He’s not about to let it go on for one more day. It’s draining him, it’s tiring.

He knows the younger has a conference call at 2pm, but Jungkook also told him that he had some paperwork to finish and might have lunch in his office. Of course, Taehyung is busy as well, with his own projects; therefore, he will take any opportunity he can get to be with Jungkook.

He just really needs to see Jungkook, even if it's just for a few minutes. He cannot wait until it’s time for them to go home or the off chance that Jungkook might come down to join him for lunch. It has to be now.

Clutching the paper bags filled with food tightly, Taehyung has an air of determination as he steps out of the elevator; only to find Jungkook talking to his secretary who is stationed just outside his office.

Getting a full view of Jungkook somehow calms Taehyung and he visibly relaxes, feeling 100% again. Once they lock gazes, Taehyung can sense that he has the same effect on Jungkook. The heir seems stunned at first but soon is smiling brightly despite the exhaustion showing on his face. He’s not surprised, Jungkook is, after all, handling a large conglomerate.

"Hey."

"Hi."

He wants to be held by Jungkook. That's all he can think of as his steps find their way to where the heir is.

"I was just about to go down to ask you out for lunch. I finished my report early, but I see you already bought us lunch..."

Jungkook freezes when Taehyung apologizes to his secretary before placing the paper bags on her table. Before he can speak again, Taehyung is already hugging him, tight, his head on the heir’s shoulder and his lips brushing the younger's neck.

"I finally get to see your face today..."

He can feel Jungkook slowly relaxing. As if he needed the hug even more than Taehyung did.

"Yeah... Finally."

They bid Jungkook's secretary good-bye before going inside the younger's office.

"How are you today?" Jungkook starts, helping Taehyung to unpack the food from the paper bags. "I heard you are slightly behind schedule with the project in Gangnam."

Taehyung sighs loudly, that's precisely what's getting him tired at the moment. The meeting with their project sponsor has always been a drag. They can't make him give them go signals with their action items for the shortcomings of the project. In short, things are getting messy.

"The project sponsor is an and just won't let us add more people. They said they can't afford more people to pay just to design the area. I admit it's not a problem if it's just the architect and me, but I need people for the AutoCAD designs and all that . It's not like I can do it all when I'm hands-on with the manual designs. I need to add more people to do the digital 3D designs with Saeron. Not to mention, the furniture — can you imagine the furniture is delayed? We can't check if it's okay or not, damaged or not. The project sponsor is seriously getting on my nerves. He was the one to pick the supplier for the furniture and it's becoming a show stopper!"

Jungkook listens carefully while he puts food on Taehyung's plate. He already knew about Taehyung's problem. Namjoon raised the issue with him earlier, saying the project sponsor is being an and just won't listen.

"You know we can drop them, right?" Jungkook suggests, amused by how Taehyung's eyes grow big by just his words. "That project can be dropped anytime, Taehyung. It's not solely owned by JGC. The design team is from JGC for our new partner, but you know we can drop them anytime. The thing about this project is, they demanded the A-Team of this company to design that project. They should've known that we don't settle for less. The reputation of our company and your team is at stake. If they don't want to go with your proposals, even after telling them beforehand that we don't settle for less with our designs, then I'll be quick to drop them for you and let you focus on our internal projects. I know just how much you have on your plate right now, Tae. I can see everything from this office."

Taehyung gulps. Jungkook is not looking at him directly, but the tone of his voice is so intimidating like he can definitely do what he just suggested in that very moment already. It's true, once the CEO himself told them to drop something because it's hindering the entire process of the company, they'll drop it, no questions asked. They complied with their conditions the first time before signing the contract, they should know what to expect while working with them. It looks like this project in Gangnam will be one of the things JGC can drop anytime, and Taehyung is calling the shots.

Jungkook eyes Taehyung. The other's silence has caught his attention. He's gnawing his lower lip, and he knows it’s a sign that Taehyung is nervous. Of course, he is, Jungkook laid choices before him. He can eliminate anything that's in his way anytime, especially when it's stressing him out, all there is left for him to do is to tell him, and he'll do it immediately.

"You're calling the shots on every project you're working on Tae. You're the project manager, whatever you say goes. I'm just saying that from my perspective if the external project sponsors are giving you a hard time, it'll be easy for me to make you drop them. I know you won't let me though." He puts a straw in Taehyung's drink. "I just don't want you stressing over matters that you're supposed to enjoy."

A gentle pat on his head makes him look up and meet Jungkook's smiling face.

"Is there any more concerns Taehyung? You know you can tell me."

Taehyung nods cutely, reaching for his drink before he continues to talk about things that are stressing him out.

"Also, the enhancements for the hotel in Daegu are still ongoing. Not to mention the re-designing of the interiors for all JGC hotels! Can you imagine my stress?" Suddenly, the older's features soften as he looks at Jungkook taking care of his food. "But I know your stress is beyond mine, so I don't feel like I should be complaining."

Jungkook lets out a chuckle, handing Taehyung his utensils before getting on with his own food. "I'm not going to deny that since it's a fact but Tae, there's no point in comparing who's more stressed between us. We both are, that makes us equal."

"No, we're not. You're the CEO here and supporting your mom's company as well. There's no way we're equally stressed, you are more! So you better eat."

"Okay fine, I'm more stressed than you are. Eat up."

Taehyung beams one of those smiles that immediately warms Jungkook.

It's been three weeks since they came back from Isla Perdida and it's business as usual for all of them. Taehyung really should've seen it coming that despite promising they'll see each other whenever they can, there are just times when they really can't, especially when meetings are scheduled during lunchtime, the time they dedicated the most for each other. But just seeing each other, even if it’s just for short moments, are enough. After all, they’re not kids anymore. They should handle this like the adults they are.

"Are you taking me home later?" Taehyung asks between bites of food. "Or am I going to ask Donghyun to come and pick me up? I know you have a dinner meeting later."

Jungkook made it a habit to send Taehyung his schedule for the week, if not, for the entire month, though they’re just starting over again. It’s not something Taehyung suggested, but something Jungkook does of his own accord. Taehyung is not sure if Jungkook is trying to assure him, but he appreciates it.

"I know. It'll start at five actually, and I think it'll end too late for me to even consider coming back here. But I'll come back at 9 for some things."

"Oh, then you'll be able to come to see me. I'm doing overtime today to finish some design revisions."

Jungkook's glare hardens. "Don't work too hard, Tae."

"If I don't work too hard, who would? This project will cost us millions to drop, Kookie. I'm okay. Besides, I can always ask for your help if I reach my limit, right? After all, you're also the head of the steering committee."

"Right." Jungkook agrees but is still not looking too pleased by the idea that Taehyung is working overtime for this. Anyway, he knows Taehyung will never ask for his help to do his own job. He knows him enough but pretends to concede. "I still haven't seen your project plan and designs. Perhaps I can look it over later, and okay, maybe I'll take you home. Stay in your office till 9. I'll be back before."

"Okay, Kookie. Roger that!"

They drop the work subjects and start talking about their plans for the weekend. Apparently, Jungkook will be free for the weekend and thus, they plan to stay in at Taehyung's apartment to watch movies, and if they get bored, they can step out to walk Yeontan at the nearby park or go buy Taehyung's groceries, regular domestic stuff.

Speaking of Yeontan, Baekhyun finally met Jungkook in person when they went to pick Yeontan up the day they came back to Seoul. Baekhyun didn’t give Jungkook an easy pass but seeing how he took care of Taehyung, though it was only for a brief moment, caused him to be accepted. Baekhyun said he should do it right this time, and the younger only smiled because that was the plan all along. Of course, it’s Baekhyun, so Jungkook is still under probation.

There are a lot of things Taehyung wants to do on the weekends, and thankfully, Jungkook is free to do them all with him.

The heir walks him back to his office after lunch, and their untouching hands are quite unbearable for Taehyung. He knows Jungkook will ask if it’s okay to take his hand to avoid making him uncomfortable, but he wants it so badly that he moves closer and takes the younger’s hand. The sudden gesture alarms Jungkook, but as soon as Taehyung’s head rests on his shoulder, he relaxes completely.

"I don't want to be away from you just yet..." Taehyung whispers but Jungkook hears him clearly. "Am I annoying because I'm too clingy? I'm sorry —"

"Don't say sorry for it, Tae. I am too. I just don't show it because I fear it will scare you away." Jungkook cuts him off. "If only I can only order you to make your office next to mine, it'll be very pleasing for me."

Taehyung lets out a bark of laughter because he knows it is well within Jungkook’s powers to make that happen, and he finds it cute.

"You're too adorable, Kookie."

"Glad I get to hear you laugh like that." Jungkook suddenly says, halting Taehyung's laughter. "I missed it."

"You'll hear it more often... I promise."

The elevator doors ding open and they find people from Taehyung's team in front of the other one.

"Where are you guys off to?" Jungkook addresses the group who are surprised to see their CEO. "Lunch break is over."

"They're probably just about to get lunch, Kookie. I told you, people on my team are too busy to even grab lunch, so let them be."

"I'm not about to stop them. I’m just curious where they're going." Jungkook motions them to go ahead after apologizing for stopping them. "You are working too hard over here."

Jungkook tries to remember when was the last time he visited the Design Department because as soon as he steps inside it, there's drawing plates everywhere, accompanied by T-Squares, unfinished coffees and complete sets of drawing pens. Some of the PC monitors are showing AutoCAD 3D designs and miniatures designs, all various stages in design projects. It leaves no doubt as to the heavy workload of the design department.

"Holy , it's war here."

"Welcome to hell." Taehyung murmurs, organizing some of his team's things on their tables. Saeron lifts her head from her desk and smiles as soon as she spots Taehyung.

"Taehyung-ssi... Can you check my 3D design for that Gangnam Project? Hi, Jungkook."

Saeron is looking so stressed out. Her hair is undone and there are bags under her eyes.

"The happened to you?"

"Well I know you’ve already heard, but that project sponsor for the Gangnam project is giving us a hard time." She leaves her seat to let Taehyung sit so he could check on her design. "We've been revising designs after designs, and I'm this close to punching him in the face, Jungkook."

"Have you eaten, though?" He asks, looking around to see a few more members of A-Team including Jihoon, sleeping on their desks. "The others just left to get lunch. Don't tell me you haven't eaten yet?"

"You know I can't eat when I'm in the middle of designing , Jungkook." She rolls her eyes as if she's stating the obvious. "I'll eat later. For now, I need to get this done before I can relax."

"That's not good for your body, Saeron," Taehyung says while looking at her monitor, checking her designs. "You should eat first then I'll tell you what I think after. I'll see you in my office at 3pm. Go grab something to eat with the rest of the team."

"But —"

"No more buts." Taehyung locks her PC and stands from her seat. "Go eat something then we'll talk about your design later."

"You heard your boss, Sae. Go eat something." Jungkook teases before turning to Taehyung and is about to drop a kiss on his forehead when he remembers that he's prohibited from doing those things here. "Uh... I'll go back to my office now, Tae. I'll see you later."

"Hmm. Call me when you're on your way back from your dinner meeting."

"I will. See you."

Once the CEO exits, Saeron sniggers beside Taehyung, making him smile as well.

"I swear to god, that guy was about to kiss you but stopped himself after he realized the situation."

"Just go and eat, Saeron," Taehyung says giggling, making his way back to his office.

The last thing he heard Saeron say was, “Okay boss. See you at 3pm."

 

 

Namjoon is finishing a call when he enters his office. He is surprised to see Jungkook without an appointment and with a meeting scheduled for two — That’s in thirty minutes, according to his desk clock.

"What brings you here, Kooks?" He asks after dropping the call. "Don't we have a conference call meeting at 2."

"Yes, but I just want you to relay my input regarding the project Taehyung is working on. The Gangnam Project." He clarifies and Namjoon perks up to that, quite expecting that this isn't going to be good. "The entire team is working late, Namjoon. And it's not because they're not efficient with their work, but because the Project Sponsor is giving them a hard time. They were revising all of their designs and I just couldn’t understand why, when all of their designs were approved the first time it got presented to the board, to them and to the entire design department.”

"They saw some details that they didn't quite like and —"

"You can’t tell me that there are details that they suddenly don’t quite like, Namjoon.” Jungkook sneers in full sarcasm, glaring hard at Namjoon. "Here's my input for that project. The last time I heard, the designs Taehyung provided them were according to the design specifications they issued us, meaning, Taehyung worked on the designs according to what they want. Seeing it for the first time awed them, and suddenly as the project is in its initiation phase, there's something they find to be not to their liking? Tell them this. One deviation from any project parameters means everything has to be adjusted. The designs had been approved the first time, they can't just demand changes. It’s delaying everything our company is working on and that is unacceptable. They should stick to what they approved of the first time or else we'll drop them. "

"That will cost us millions, Jungkook."

"I know what it will cost, I am the head of the steering committee, and I don't care. JGC and the welfare of our employees are my first priority. A-Team should be working on our internal projects and focus on redesigning of the interiors for our hotels. This project has only been prioritized because Dad is a good friend of the CEO of their company, but see if I care if I decided to drop them." Jungkook challenges. "A-Team worked hard to get approvals for their first designs, to save them more time to handle the other projects waiting to be done. They can't just suddenly demand to change something in the designs they already approved. Anyway, it looks to be not just tweaking of the design details here and there, but more like major design changes, they are demanding. Judging by the state of the design department and the amount of overtime they are logging. Changes, I might add, that have not been approved by the Steering Committee. If they don't listen to my input, I'll see them myself at the next committee meeting."

"Alright, copy that. Man, you don't chill, huh?" Namjoon chuckles, reaching for his telephone to call the project sponsor immediately. "Is Taehyung losing sleep?"

“Not just Tae, Namjoon. All of them are." The CEO stands, straightening his suit, and moves to exit Namjoon's office. "I'll see you at 2pm."

"Roger." Namjoon salutes the younger. "Hello, Mr. Song? Yes, this is Kim Namjoon..."

 

 

It’s 11:30pm, and Jungkook finds himself running towards the elevator. Taehyung is still in the building because the guards in the parking lot, as well as the guards at reception, confirmed that they haven’t seen him exiting the building.

The dinner meeting ran later than he expected and he’s been texting Taehyung to keep him informed. But when clock ticked 9pm and Jungkook saw that the meeting was nowhere near done and settled, he asked the older to call Donghyun to pick him up. However, Taehyung never replied.

Now he’s here because he knows that Taehyung hasn’t gone home yet and is still waiting. There’s a high chance that the older didn’t even take a look at his phone and continued working, he’s sure of it.

The elevator is slow tonight, that’s what’s filling Jungkook’s head. He wants to just use the stairs instead, but it’s too late for that now.

The elevator arrives at Taehyung’s floor, and Jungkook freezes in place the moment the doors slide open. Because, right in front of him is Taehyung, wearing his eyeglasses, drawing tube hanging off one shoulder, while the other has his bag and he has his hands on his phone.

His phone starts to ring, making Taehyung look up at him. He smiles.

“Oh, what are you doing here? I thought you weren’t coming anymore? I was just about to call you – I mean, I just called – to tell you to meet me at my apartment instead. Donghyun is on his way to pick me up and…”

I really don’t deserve him.

He doesn’t understand more than that as he rushes to hug Taehyung, making the latter drop his phone.

“I’m sorry for coming back late… the meeting went on longer than I expected and there was traffic and –“

“Hey, Kookie, calm down. It’s okay. Calm down.”

Taehyung’s hands run up and down his back soothing him. It’s comforting, like it really is okay and Taehyung doesn’t mind; but it also makes him feel guilty, unworthy of this man’s love.

“It’s okay… I’m sorry I didn’t read your message earlier. I put my phone in silent as soon as we okayed with the plan and immersed myself in drawing. I didn’t notice the time – but I’m surprised you still came. Why?”

“I just thought you’d still be here. I thought maybe you fell asleep while waiting for me, so I came here instead of going straight to your apartment.” Jungkook pulls away taking the drawing tube along with Taehyung’s bag. “Sorry about your phone,” he says as he picks it up, before taking the older’s hand to hold.

“It’s fine. What matters more is you came.” Taehyung bumps his forehead against Jungkook’s shoulder and lets himself get comfortable against the elevator wall. “I’m starving. I was so absorbed in finishing my drawing tonight that I forgot to grab something to eat. What do you want to have today? Or are you going back to your place as soon as you drop me off?”

“Nah, I’ll stay with you. Let’s order in.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Taehyung yawns and pulls Jungkook closer to lean against. “I can barely keep my eyes open… do you mind if I sleep in your car?”

“No, I’ll just wake you up once we arrive at your place.”

“Okay… and please tell Donghyun, I’m sorry…”

And just like that, Taehyung falls asleep where he stands. Jungkook is not sure how the older does it, but he just keeps still, afraid that anything he does might wake the older up. He picks Taehyung up, bridal style to exit the elevator. Thankfully Donghyun is right in front of the elevator to offer assistance.

“Can you take the drawing tube and his bag, please? Sorry for calling you out here, but I’ll take him home.”

“I know. I saw your car.” Donghyun takes Taehyung’s things and follows his bosses to Jungkook’s car. “Can you handle him on your own?”

“Yes. I’ll be fine from here. Thanks, Donghyun.” The bodyguard is near Taehyung’s car when the heir calls out to him again. “I might not come home tonight.”

Donghyun only smiles before giving Jungkook a salute.

“Enjoy the rest of your evening.” He whispers in the silence of the parking lot.

 

 

Taehyung wakes up from being gently shaken. He is greeted by Jungkook’s face, suit gone, and the sleeves of his white button-down rolled up to his elbows.

Yeontan is wagging his tail right beside the younger and Taehyung thinks, “what a sight to wake up to’.

“Dinner is ready. I really didn’t want to wake you up, but you said you’re starving –”

He was drowsily being helped up by the younger. He slowly follows his steps while keeping both hands on the younger’s waist as he leads the way to the dining area.

“It was kind of hard to order food this late, so I took a detour and went back home to grab us some dinner. Your dad gave me all this food, so let’s eat.”

“What time is it?”

“It’s past one.”

“And you went back home to ask our dads for food?”

Jungkook stops putting food on Taehyung’s plate and smiles sheepishly. “They’re still awake. I originally went home to grab some clothes since driving back to my home in Seongbuk-dong is such a long way to go.”

“Let’s pretend I believed you.”

“Thanks.”

They start eating quietly simply because Taehyung doesn’t want to speak. He’s exhausted and can barely keep his eyes open. All he really wants to do is go to bed sleep.

But then, something just occurred to him.

“Wait… did I hear you right? You went back home to grab some clothes and –“

“Yes. Is it okay for me to stay here with you? We can go to the office together tomorrow.”

Taehyung doesn’t say anything, taking his time to absorb this new information. He doesn’t mind Jungkook staying over, but he cannot control his heartbeat. It’s going to burst at any moment.

He’s nervous.

This is not the first time they’ll sleep under one roof. They’ve shared beds before, for goodness sake. But, they’re on their own this time. No parents, no Yeonjun, and no friends. This is the first time they are alone since they came back from the island and the first time after five years.

They’re alone together in Taehyung’s apartment after five years.

He knows this isn’t new, he’s not stupid, and it’s just Jungkook. But everything feels fresh, everything feels like the first time again for Taehyung.

He gulps down his drink and clears his throat before looking down at his plate.

“If this is too much, I can leave.”

His head whips up so fast to look at Jungkook, who is now smiling back at him.

. He realized I got nervous.

“I – Jungkook, “

“I know. I felt it too, Tae. I’m nervous as well. You’re not alone.” Jungkook dabs the table napkin under Taehyung’s lip. “I know it’s just you, but we’ve been away from each other for too long, so everything feels new, and I just don’t know how I should act around you. Especially now that we’re alone... it’s making me feel anxious.”

“I… we’re pretty dumb huh?” Taehyung giggles and relaxes a bit. “We don’t know how to act when we’re around each other, but whenever you’re not around me, I feel scared…”

“I do too, Tae.”

“Yeah, we’re really dumb.”

“That we are.”

They finish their meal in silence. Taehyung uses the time while Jungkook is washing the dishes to take a bath and change into his sleepwear. He also took out some for Jungkook only to find the younger repacking his sleepover bag.

“Where are you off too?”

The younger meets his gaze and continues folding his clothes neatly. “I’m going back to Seongbuk-dong.”

“Why?”

The younger furrows his eyebrows at the question and looks up at Taehyung with confusion in his eyes. “What do you mean why? I thought you don’t want me to stay –“

“I said I was nervous, that doesn’t mean I don’t want you here.”

Jungkook blinks and Taehyung rolls his eyes, pretending he’s annoyed. “Take a bath then changed into this. The spare toothbrush is already beside mine, so use that. There is also a fresh towel beside mine.” He says to a dumbstruck Jungkook, before marching back to his room with his heart still beating erratically like it’s the very first time.

But that didn’t stop there.

“Um, Tae?” Jungkook asks upon entering Taehyung’s bedroom. “Where did you put the pillows I took from Jin-hyung’s room?”

“I put it back in Jin-hyung’s room. Why?” Taehyung asks, taking off his eyes from his phone.

“Oh. Alright. Then, I’ll sleep in Jin-hyung’s room. Good nig –“

“Where are you off to?” Taehyung suddenly springs up. “You’re sleeping here.” He growls, surprising Taehyung because that sounded like a – whine.

The heir was midway in closing the door to Taehyung’s room when the latter said those words and he’s late to notice the open space on Taehyung’s bed. Taehyung’s bed is divided into two sides by a body pillow. Taehyung is on the right, while the left side is, well, empty and ready to be occupied by whoever it is that is lucky enough.

It’s Jungkook for tonight so come back and try again later, haters.

The heir slowly find his way beside Taehyung’s bed and right under those eyeglasses, Jungkook can tell that Taehyung is nervous, if not, embarrassed about what he just blurted out. Even Jungkook is surprised by Taehyung telling him straight out to sleep there beside him so he cannot really say anything.

“Then let’s –“

“Yeah, let’s sleep!” Taehyung quickly put down his phone and scoot over to Jungkook’s side as soon as the heir is laid down. Taehyung put an arm over Jungkook’s tummy and a leg over his thighs, completely disallowing Jungkook to move even an inch. “Sleep is what I need right now…”

“Yeah, I know. It kind of shows.” He jokes. He moves to turn off the lights, struggling a little with Taehyung clinging on him, and as it gets pitch black inside the room, he can feel Taehyung tightening his hold against his body.

It’s not hot and Taehyung is not heavy. And honestly, if you were to ask Jungkook what he likes about Taehyung, one, is because he’s a cuddly person. He always knew that ever since then that they got into a relationship five years ago. He cuddles a lot and will stick to you a lot. He’ll literally his weight on you. He didn’t mind it five years ago and he’s definitely not going to mind it now.

Not now when it’s making him feel so comfortable.