006: The Truth Untold

OUR PREDESTINED END

A/N: I HOPE YOU FIND THIS UPDATE MORE SATISFYING AND FUN THAN FRUSTRATING UNLIKE THE LAST UPDATE. HAHAHA ENJOY READING!

--

Jungkook greets everyone that is on his floor. It is quite a shock for them to be greeted by the heir in such a manner, but they just keep quiet about it. As soon as he's inside his office though, Jungkook changes into his CEO mode.

 

It takes him thirty minutes to review the topic for the luncheon meeting later, before calling in his secretary to ask if she already ordered the food according to the preferences of the person they’re meeting.

 

“I’ll personally pick up the orders, Sir. I’ll be leaving my post for that later.”

 

“Okay.” He says, closing his personal diary before looking up at his secretary. “Can you buy Taehyung’s lunch too? You can always ask for additional right?”

 

Luna, his secretary is stunned at the request, but the heir doesn’t bother looking up as he takes out his wallet to pull out his black card. “Pay everything using this and take this with you.” He hands her a list of food to add for Taehyung. “And attach this please.”

 

Despite the confusion, she takes the card, the list and the sticky note that reads ‘I know you’re busy so just eat in your office today. I’ll see you later’, she finds it romantic.

 

The entire JGC Community knows what happened between Jungkook and Taehyung, but to witness it happening again is quite something. Almost everybody thinks they aren’t a thing anymore since the heir came back with Kim Saeron but looks like some will be losing bets today.

 

“Alright, sir."

 

 

At the same moment, Taehyung is in the middle of their team meeting. He wants to check everyone’s progress in their assigned projects. It is one of his responsibilities after all.

 

“As we are finishing these smaller projects soon, I would like everyone to hang in there and prepare yourselves for the bigger project to come. I don’t want to put any undue pressure on you, but I do want to see your drafts the Gangnam Executive Village in two weeks.”

 

Taehyung can be really strict and he thinks that’s only fair, but as he feels everyone deflate right after he said those words, he sighs and closes his folder before looking at everyone directly.

 

“I know you are all tired with all the renovations happening in almost all of the JGC Hotels but that’s what we do, so…” he shrugs playfully and it made his team smile. “It’s Wednesday today and I want you to take it easy for the rest of the week. Just do your usual thing while focusing more on the upcoming team building. This meeting is adjourned.”

 

As the entire team makes their exit, a series of knocks are heard and Taehyung finds Baekhyun outside the door, smiling and waving crazily.

 

“Baek-hyung?" he asks in of confusion and leaves the conference room. "What the heck are you doing here? You have no work? And where's Chanyeol-hyung?”

 

“Easy there, tiger.” Baekhyun laughs and roams his arm around Taehyung’s waist to lead him back to his office to possibly talk there instead of outside the meeting room, where his team can see them. “Congratulations on your promotion! Also, I’m off today and I happened to be in the area when I thought of visiting you. Chanyeol though is working. I did tell him that I’ll be coming to visit you here. Want to grab lunch together?”

 

Baekhyun is one of Taehyung’s friends on his security list of people free to visit him at any time. Knowing Baekhyun, he probably asked the guards not to notify Taehyung of his presence.

 

“Ah, sure. But can you wait for another hour? I’ll have some tasks to take care of before we can go.”

 

“Sure! I heard your Jungkook is back.” Baekhyun sounds teasing and Taehyung laughs a little to that.

 

Baekhyun is one of the few friends he gained during Jungkook’s absence. The older, along with his friends, take good care of him. Chanyeol, who is Baekhyun’s boyfriend, is also very fond of him and is good friends with Jimin as well. Though it’s rare for him to go out with his group of friends combined with Baekhyun’s group of friends – because he would’ve rather talked to Jungkook than go out, back then – the group would always be welcoming of whatever little time he gave them, even if it meant he was only there to say a quick hello.

 

“He’s back.”

 

“I knew it! He was photographed arriving at Incheon Airport with his grandparents and a girl. I’ll punch him for you, Tae! How could he find someone when you’re here waiting for –“

 

“Hyung, it’s okay. Chill! Saeron is not actually his girlfriend.” He lets out a sheepish smile and then turns to where Baekhyun is seated. “She’s just a family friend of theirs who is now working for me too.”

 

“You mean the girl is here?”

 

“Yeah, she’s on my team.”

 

Baekhyun gapes at him for who knows how long before letting out a breathy sigh. “Wow… the nerve of that kid, huh? Did he even ask you if you’re comfortable working with her?”

 

He shrugs and takes off his eyeglasses. “It’s not like I could say anything when it was Uncle Jongwan who wanted her on my team, right? Besides, it was settled before I could even know the girl. All I heard was she’s joining my team and that’s that.”

 

“And you’re okay with it?”

 

“I am, hyung. Don’t worry about it.” Taehyung puts on his eyeglasses again to read emails. “This is work and we should not bring any personal matters to work. And Jungkook and I talked…”

 

“You what?! And how did it go?”

 

“Um… I guess it’s safe to say we’re going to try again? Actually hyung, there’s a lot to tell!” Taehyung springs from his seat and moves to sit beside Baekhyun who is watching his every move with wide eyes, he does not understand the younger as of the moment. "But we still haven't talked about serious matters, since it's still very touchy and we're not going to rush things only to mess up again, but we're okay."

 

“Okay, like you’re back together or okay, just okay?”

 

“Didn’t you hear me when I told you that we’re going to try again? So, I guess it’s safe to say that we’re okay but we’re not back together.”

 

"Yet," Baekhyun adds with a teasing smile. “I mean, I’m happy if you are, Tae…” he ruffles the younger’s hair and Taehyung closes his eyes with the affection. “But guard your heart well this time, okay? I don’t want you getting hurt again. This time, you guys need to talk things through and make it better.”

 

“We will, hyung…”

 

“And make sure you’re on the same page!” The older says with a hit to Taehyung’s arm. “Don’t just go back there alone! You need to make sure he is with you, all the way with you!”

 

The younger only laughs at that and then their conversation is interrupted by a series of knocks to his office door.

 

“Come in!” he yells before going back to his seat. “Oh, Luna-ssi? What brings you… here?” he trails off upon seeing what the girl is holding. “What are those?”

 

“Jungkook-ssi asked me to pick up your lunch Taehyung-ssi. Where should I put this?”

 

Baekhyun whistles beside him, amused at the sudden intrusion. “Uh, just put it down here please.” He points his coffee table right in front of Baekhyun. “I told him I’ll eat with the team today though…” he murmurs and takes out his phone to dial the younger’s number. “And there’s no way I could finish all this.”

 

“Woah, Jeon.” Baekhyun examines the content of the paper bags and takes out the sticky note attached to it. "It says, ‘I know you’re busy so just eat in your office today. I’ll see you later’ end quote.”

 

Taehyung gapes at Baekhyun who is still smiling at him teasingly, before taking the note from him to read it for himself.

 

“Aren’t these your favorites?”

 

Yes, it is. Taehyung knows the foods are all the things that he wants from that restaurant, not far from JGC. He used to grab lunch there with his friends who visited him in his office, Baekhyun included.

 

“You gave him a list or something?”

 

Taehyung has forgotten his unanswered call, probably because Jungkook is getting ready for the luncheon meeting due to start any minute.

 

He takes one container and opens the lid before answering Baekhyun.

 

“I’d like to think he made his own list.” He says and Baekhyun turns to him in confusion. "I mean… I used to tell him all the things I've grown to like while he's in Canada through our facetime sessions.”

 

“And he’s writing those down?”

 

“I guess? It looks like it.”

 

“Then he’s serious.” Baekhyun takes the chopsticks. “Share this with me?”

 

“Of course, hyung. It’s not like I’ll finish it all on my own.”

 

Before Luna leaves his office, Taehyung stops her by thanking her for the food and ask for a favor. “Can you tell Jungkook that I called him before his meeting started? I’ll try to call him on his personal mobile, but I’m not sure what time the meeting will finish so I might call you to ask first.”

 

“Of course, Taehyung-ssi. I’ll make sure to be around when you call. I’m not sure what time they’ll be wrapping up there either since the investor they are meeting today is a personal friend of the Jeons.”

 

“Okay, thanks.” He nods and gives her the kind smile everyone adores. “Sorry about this, Luna-ssi. I’ll make sure to tell him off – “

 

“Oh no, please don’t! It’s my job as his secretary, Taehyung-ssi. I’m just doing my job.” She bows again and excuses herself one last time before turning back. Taehyung looks to where Baekhyun is seated. The older has started eating and he wants to let out an amused chuckle.

 

“I am so scolding that guy.” He murmurs before joining Baekhyun to eat as well.

 

--

 

“I have no concerns because all the heirs of the Jeon family are here in the main branch of JGC. I do however want to know how your younger brother is doing in Canada? He’s fifteen now, isn’t that right?”

 

“Yes, Mr. Park. Junghyun is fifteen and focusing on his academics right now."

 

“He’ll surely go for STEM curriculum, right?”

 

“The last time we talked, he’s very much on that path, yes. Unlike me, the family puts less pressure on him so he can do whatever he wants. As much as possible, I want him to find his own goals and I want him to find whatever it is that he truly wants.”

 

Jungkook knew that there would be questions about his mother and his brother, but he never thought they’ll be asking this soon. He has no problem in answering such questions, he’s in fact very glad to answer them all because it means the people around them aren’t that bothered with what happened with their family. They still respect his mom and his brother and that’s all that matters to him.

 

It’s not that he’s still not okay with Sejin. He’s happy about everything that is happening between Sejin and Jongwan. But, there’s a fine line between Sejin and Misun with the JGC Community.

 

“Anyway, he’s perfectly fine and the same goes for Mom. She’s handling things well on her end.”

 

“That’s great news. You’re a family born to do this. I’m impressed that you took your internship under your grandfather. To be trained as the future CEO of this empire by the founder himself is a blessing.” Mr. Park continues and Jungkook can only smile, eyes now downcast due to all the praise. This is something Jungkook can never get used to and he can say the same for his cousins. Although they’ve received a lot of praise throughout their lives, it’s still easy to feel shy about it

 

“We do what we do, Sir.” Jungkook clears his throat, looking across the room to where Yoongi is eating quietly. “It runs in the blood, I guess.”

 

“It does. Impressive DNA you all possess.” Mr. Park lets out a boisterous laugh.

 

The meeting continues likes this, with a little about the Jeon’s skeleton and down to more serious business, the actual purpose of the meeting.

 

At exactly 2 o’clock, a deal is once again struck, and the trio knows this only means more work ahead for them. They loosen their ties as soon as the investors were shown out and off the premises.

 

They slump down on the soft couch in Jungkook’s office, while the younger occupies his own executive chair, checking messages he missed while in the meeting.

 

“Ugh, meeting with investors who became family friends is so damn tiring. Why can’t they just get down to business? Why do they have to check on everyone in our family?”

 

“That’s the reality of our situation and we cannot change that, Yoongi. Get over it.” Namjoon wipes his glasses clean before turning to Jungkook, who is facing his laptop screen with a serious expression. “Are we still going to push through with the hotel plans overseas?”

 

“Namjoon, knock it off! We just finished a deal, for ’s sake. Let the kid –“

 

“Dad and I will be discussing the possibility, but I’m almost sure we will. Right now, though, the hotel in Daegu is the top priority. The expansions there are already in motion.”

 

“Alright. I guess that’s safe. Please call me regarding that hotel overseas, okay? I want that project.”

 

“Where exactly are you planning to build one, Namjoon? You’re so eager and willing to do that project.” Yoongi eyes his younger cousin skeptically. “Not that I don’t trust you with your decisions, but this is really new to me. You usually don’t get this excited with projects especially when we’re talking about branches overseas.”

 

"He probably fell in love with a place he's visited, and he wants to build our own hotel there," Jungkook claims without his eyes leaving the screen. “Where is it?”

 

“You know me well, Jungkook.”

 

“Dude, we’re cousins.” The younger scoffs. “The branches of our hotels and resorts overseas were built where they are because we all think those places are perfect locations for our business. The resort on Isla Perdida is our flagship resort because the island is our family’s pride and joy. Grandpa built a hotel in England because we have a home there and he loves the place, it’s the same with all of us. It’s either we visited a place and fell in love with it, or we heard it’s perfect place for our business. It’s just the way we are, and I want to believe that it's the main ingredient to our success.” The younger smirks at his cousins who are guiltily laughing out loud.

 

A series of knocks on Jungkook’s door focus their attention to the person entering the office.

 

“Yes?” Jungkook greets his secretary.

 

“Sir, Taehyung-ssi is asked for a call back right after the meeting. He said he’ll be waiting for your call.” She said, placing the black card Jungkook lend her to pay the bills.

 

“Oh…” he picks up his phone from its charger and sees three missed calls from Taehyung. “Did he call your phone?”

 

"Yes, sir. He said he called you and you didn’t pick up, so he figured you were still in the meeting. I gave him his lunch as you instructed earlier.”

 

"Okay, I'll give him a callback. Thank you.”

 

"Yes, sir –"

 

“Ah, wait!” the girl stopped in her tracks and turns to the young heir. “Do I have something scheduled for tomorrow?”

 

The girl looks at him in confusion. “You are scheduled to leave for the island tomorrow with the rest of the family and Ms. Saeron, sir. I cleared your schedule.”

 

Jungkook turns to his cousins who is stood from their seats. Yoongi is the first to step out of his office, after telling him that he’ll be checking if Jimin is all packed for the flight tomorrow. Namjoon panics as he realizes he forgot to tell Jin the time of their departure tomorrow, so he rushes out of the office right after Yoongi.

 

Now that he's left only with his secretary, he asks her to discuss his plans for the next day.

 

“Actually, about that, I need you to do something for me…”

 

--

 

Taehyung is waiting for Jungkook’s call. His secretary already told him that the meeting had adjourned.

 

Baekhyun left after their lunch with plans for both groups of friends to meet for a night out.

 

The food delivery from Jungkook was unexpected and changed his plans to have lunch with his team. He’s not upset about it, but he needs to ask Jungkook why he did it.

 

His phone vibrates, the name flashing across the screen indicating a call from Jungkook.

 

“Hey.” Jungkook greets from the other end of the line. "Sorry that I’m only calling now. I spoke to my secretary about my plans for tomorrow."

 

“Tomorrow? Aren’t you leaving for the island tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah, that’s the plan – anyway, what’s up? Luna told me you called.”

 

"Uh, yes I did." He clears his throat and leans back in his chair. "Thanks for the lunch, you surprised me. You remember how I liked the food from that restaurant?"

 

“I remember you telling me about it when I was in Canada. When I learned where Luna was ordering food I decided to ask her to buy you your lunch there so you won’t have to leave your office to eat. I guess, I took note of what you learned to love while I was away, in hopes of taking you there when I came back.”

 

He smiles. “Also, I shared it with Baekhyun-hyung," Jungkook asks who Baekhyun is and Taehyung explains. "He's a friend and he visited me to take me out to lunch, but then the food arrived, and I just shared it with him."

 

“Oh, okay then. Sorry, I didn’t know you made plans with your friend.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay. He surprised me by coming. You’ll probably meet him very soon…”

 

“… I will?”

 

“Yes. He asked me if we could meet up with everyone including our group of friends and I said I’ll think about it after the team building and discussing it with all of you.”

 

“I’ll be there if you will, Tae. I’ll be anywhere you want me to.”

 

“Shut up, you sap.”

 

They laugh at that and Taehyung thinks he can hear Jungkook walking but decides to ignore it.

 

“So… what time do you leave tomorrow?”

 

“Before that, can you come out here?”

 

Taehyung freezes. “Come out where?”

 

“Look at your door.”

 

Taehyung sees Jungkook waving his phone in greeting from outside his glass door.

 

“What the heck are you doing?”

 

“I need your opinion on something. Can you come with me?”

 

“Jungkook, we both have work to do and –“

 

“Tae. You have no more meetings to attend to today, I already asked your assistant… please?”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“I need to go shopping for something. I’m going to visit an orphanage my family has been funding… and I know how you like kids, so I think you’ll enjoy visiting it with me. Or am I late to take you there as well?”

 

Taehyung is quick to take his coat from the stand near the door and put it on, all while Jungkook is watching him from outside the office with a smile on his face.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

--

 

“New car?”

 

“Yeah, just bought it.” Jungkook opens the door for him before he goes around to take the driver’s seat next to Taehyung while he is buckling his seatbelt. “I love my cars but since we’re going to buy a lot of things and will be doing so regularly in the future, I need a bigger car, so I bought this SUV.”

 

“When exactly did you purchase this?”

 

“Dad actually bought it for me while I was in Canada over the weekend. I told him how I find this model to be perfect for this kind of activity, so he said he’ll buy it for me, and I can just pay him back. Mom gave him half for it, saying it’s their gift for me becoming the new CEO, but I told them they shouldn't buy me things anymore because I have my own money and I’ll be fine.”

 

“It’s a nice car, Jungkook. I saw the commercial for this.”

 

“It is. Shall we?”

 

Taehyung nods excitedly at Jungkook, who only smiles at him.

 

The drive is comfortable at least. Taehyung doesn’t experience anything that would make him feel uncomfortable around Jungkook, who is now driving with one hand on the steering wheel. Just like always, it makes him feel safe with the younger.

 

“Are you hungry? Do you want us to grab some food before we go there?”

 

“Can we?” Taehyung asks, rubbing his stomach. He ate his lunch but he’s always quick to get hungry again and now he’s craving for some burgers. “Can we grab burgers and fries on the way?”

 

“Of course, Tae. Burger King?”

 

“Yes please.”

 

As Jungkook drives, Taehyung makes his way through the sound system of the car. He knows this car is really remarkable with all its features.

 

“Ah, Tae can I ask you something?”

 

Taehyung hums from scanning his phone’s playlist.

 

“The bouquet –“ Jungkook notices the pause in Taehyung’s movements but decided to continue. “– that I received in Canada, mom told me it was from you.”

 

“It was. I called someone to make it and delivered it to you.”

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything for a while maybe because he expected Taehyung to deny it, but he didn’t. “The letter it came with, it’s a song… right?”

 

This time Taehyung looks at Jungkook, whose eyes dart to him as well before focusing back on the road.

 

“It is. How did you know? Did Namjoon give you the copy of what we had recorded?”

 

“No. I saw the complete lyrics framed in your office and it was signed with your undercover interior designer name and Namjoon’s producer name, so I put two and two together.”

 

“Oh… what about it?”

 

"Oh, nothing really, I just thought the lyrics are well-written."

 

“Thanks. You know what it’s about?”

 

Jungkook hesitates with his answer, mainly because he doesn't want his guess to be true, but the lyrics scream at him that it's about…

 

“You were lost while writing this song, weren’t you Tae?”

 

Taehyung once again stills and slowly looks up at Jungkook, but the younger's eyes remain strictly on the road.

 

“How –“

 

“The lyrics screamed at me that you were lost and needed someone to pull you out and show you the way – almost as if you’re waiting for someone to –“

 

“I –“ Taehyung speaks. “I was in this dusty park, on my way back from – from your unit.”

Jungkook is the one to freeze this time. "I remember crying as I look up at the sky, questioning where you are and what you are doing at that very same moment. I found myself crying a lot during those times, but it's still my favorite part of the day because the world is quiet and has blueish hue, it was sad and beautiful at the same time. It was comforting. It was during those times that I debated whether or not to wait for you… the moon was still out, and it brightened up the sky, but the dawn told me that a new day was about to come again. Almost scared me because I knew there would be no you for me to see. I tried to brush those thoughts away. I always told myself that it was another day to survive being without you. Another day of waiting, hoping the new dawn would bring the day you would finally return to me.”

 

There is a moment of silence and Taehyung can feel the car pulling over. He’s crying, he doesn’t know why he always cries at the memories, but he’s scared to look up.

 

“You don’t have to wait anymore, Tae. I’m here.”

 

That’s all it takes for Taehyung to really break into sobs. Jungkook takes off his seatbelt and takes off Taehyung’s too before pulling the older into a comforting hug. It lasts a long time until Taehyung calms down and relaxes again.

 

“This okay?”

 

“I didn’t push you away, right?” Taehyung says, pulling the younger closer. “Saeron… how did you guys get close?”

 

“Tae…”

 

“I know we shouldn’t be talking about this now when we’re on our way to an orphanage, but it’s been bugging me ever since I saw you guys earlier from my office.” He clarifies. “And I want to know how because she seems important to you and I want to understand.”

 

“Shall we step out then? It’s going to be a long story.”

 

There is a park near where they pulled over, so they decide to take a walk there. Jungkook steps back to let Taehyung walk in front of him, watching how slow his steps are. An indication that Taehyung is waiting for him to speak, to tell him what he wants to know. They reach a park bench and Taehyung finds himself sitting while Jungkook remains standing, looking down, right into his eyes.

 

“I had been away for six months when I met her. My grandparents came to visit us in Vancouver. She came with them because Saeron’s family has been meaning to meet me, but since it would take another year before I went to England, they just sent Saeron, since they couldn't make themselves. When we were introduced, I didn't pay much attention to her, because I'd been busy, and I just couldn't wait to be in my room so I could call you."

 

Jungkook’s hands start shaking and Taehyung takes them in his own as a sign of encouragement. Jungkook keeps his gaze locked on Taehyung’s eyes to keep him grounded.

 

“They were planning to stay for a week and it only took her a week to annoy the hell out of me, because she occupied my time because I had to entertain her, and it took away any opportunity I had to phone you. Then she decides to stay longer. It’s not like I was not busy with school and helping out mom, but Grandpa said I should use any free time I had to spend with her. Once, she saw me in the living room getting ready to call you, but then Dad called me...” He takes a deep breath.

 

“… to tell you that Minjae would be working at JGC.” Taehyung takes over, squeezing Jungkook’s hands as he says it. He’s mentally calculating the months Jungkook is talking about and he realizes that it’s the month where Minjae asked Jongwan if he could still have a position in JGC. He knew about it because Jongwan made sure to keep him informed, he clearly didn't want to start something he didn't mean to.

 

“Yes... it was then. Dad asked me about it first and then he said he’d ask you about it as well. Ask if it would make you uncomfortable or something. I told him to give it a week before telling you, for no particular reason, I just did. I guess dad followed my advice.” His voice cracks but he still doesn’t look away from Taehyung. He knows that once he avoids those eyes, he won't continue talking and he knows how important this is for both of them.

 

"My phone lit up and I took Dad's call that night. I said okay, not knowing what it would do to me. The truth is, before I could even hear it from you, I had already been beating myself up about it. I was already defeating myself, overthinking the situation and all the possibilities of what might happen back here. Then you started talking about him…"

 

~~

 

"Hey Kookie, Minjae is working here at the company. He's working under Namjoon-hyung..."

 

Jungkook takes his eyes from his computer and eyes his phone on the stand as he Facetimes with Taehyung.

 

“Oh… you met him?”

 

“Nope! Not yet, at least, but they did tell me he’ll be working here very soon.”

 

“Does it bother you?”

 

“Nah, he’s an old story. It’s okay now. I don’t really care.”

 

~~

 

“And I believed you, I really did, Tae. But then, we started talking about him more often and the next thing I knew, he became such a big part of our conversations that it made me utterly uncomfortable, but - it’s your day you’re talking about. It was our thing to tell each other about how we spent our days and I got scared... I got so scared, Tae. It didn’t sit well with me. It irritated me that in all your story about how your days went, he’s there.  It annoyed me but I couldn’t tell you because I wanted to know every detail of your day. I could tell how happy you were to be friends with him again. You weren’t mine at the time. I broke things off with you, so I had no right to tell you off about him or to ask you to stop seeing him. So, I kept quiet until I just couldn’t take it anymore.”

 

~~

 

"Hey Kookie, today Minjae and I went out for lunch. We're okay now! He apologized for all the trouble he had caused us in the past and I forgave him..."

 

“Oh, is that right?” Jungkook hopes his shaking voice won’t bother Taehyung in telling him about his day. “That’s good to know, Tae! I mean, he should really apologize for all the things he had done to you before.”

 

“Of course, he does!” Taehyung laughs on the other end of the line. “But what is this I am seeing?”

 

Jungkook blinks. Taehyung leans closer to the screen as if he’s looking intently at Jungkook.

 

“What?”

 

“Why are your eyes so sad? Where does it hurt?”

 

He was stunned for a second before smiling, hoping it could hide the pain that’s growing inside him. “Tae… are you happy right now?”

 

"Me? Of course, I am! I spent this day with the work that I love, and I get to be with my friends! And now, I get to see your face… of course I'm happy right now, Kookie.”

 

“Then, I am too. I’m happy as well, Tae. Because you are.”

 

~~

 

“It hurt me how he could be with you every day while I couldn’t. It made me jealous and gave me thoughts like, ‘what if he goes back to him?’, ‘what if Tae realized he still loves him?’, ‘what if Minjae is worth it for Taehyung more than me?’. Those thoughts filled my head and I doubted myself so much… Every day was filled with those thoughts and it tore me up inside but –“ he wipes away Taehyung’s tear, not minding his own. “but you were happy… and that’s all I’ve ever wanted. At least one of us was happy, right? That’s all I want for you. All my decisions – when I broke things off with you, when I left you to find myself – all of it hurt you more than it hurt me. You took the entire brunt of it and I just couldn’t ask any more from you when I had already asked for so much. I was so selfish asking you to let me go when I knew how badly you wanted me to stay with you. I am a selfish man, Tae. I keep myself out of reach from those who I believe can hurt me; but when I left… I realized that I was protecting you from myself rather than protecting myself, so I thought it was okay. When I decided to stop calling you, I knew it would hurt you. I knew, yet I still did it, thinking you’re with them, thinking how you had our friends with you and that you’d be okay after a while, because I trust them not to leave you when I did. You had more to hold on to, Tae. I decided on things that I know will forever haunt me. Saeron… she was there when I broke down when I skipped calling you, when you’re expecting me to call you. She stormed into my room because I was in a fit of rage, throwing things around and breaking stuff... it was loud. And this…” Jungkook takes Taehyung's right hand and put it on his left cheek where a scar is. "…this is one of the wounds from that night. I threw a chair at my mirror and a piece of it flew into my face, cutting my cheek."

 

Taehyung is crying hard now as Jungkook lets his hand go. “I was devastated just thinking about not calling you anymore. Cutting you off broke me completely. Saeron decided to stay with us longer after that night, saying she wanted me to have someone to talk to when I needed to. I didn’t let her in easily, Tae. It took them days to make me talk again. She was bringing me my meals because I refused to eat. She was force-feeding me for a while before I yelled at her to stop and just stay put so I could eat on my own meal. One time she heard my phone ping because I received a message and that’s when she saw your picture as my lock screen… she occupied the seat at my study table and she started asking me things about you – I ing look at her the moment I heard your name, Tae… all it took for me to look up was mention of your name and the next thing I knew, she was already hugging me, telling me that it’s okay. That I will be okay… that she’ll stay until I decided to talk about you and all the things that were hurting me. And I did. I talked about you and my messed-up decisions… I told her how wonderful you are. I told her how much I love you. I told her… how much I missed you. And I asked her...”

 

~~

 

“Do you think I did the right thing?”

 

“What? Letting him go?”

Jungkook nods. "He must be crying right now… he must be thinking so hard, trying to figure out what he has done wrong, but he doesn't know I was the one who did so many things wrong and –"

 

"If you think you're holding him back from being happy, let him go," Saeron says, cutting the other off. “That’s exactly what you did, right? You think you’re holding him back from being happy, so you let him go, by cutting communication with him. I don’t think what you did was wrong. You want him to be happy even if it doesn’t include you and I think that’s actually brave of you… Letting someone go is hard, Jungkook. Even more when you’re letting them go to be happy with someone else. But we all want our loved ones to be happy, right? And that’s exactly what you did. You let him go… because you love him.”

 

“I do… I really do.”

 

~~

 

“I really thought I was doing the right thing, so I stopped calling you completely. Saeron left for England soon after, but she gave me her number in case I needed someone to talk to. It was hard… pulling myself away from you was probably one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done. Our friends kept on telling me things about you, our dads too. I let them until I realized I was kidding myself. I never stopped anyone from talking about you. I became so desperate to know how you were every day, that I kept calling someone every day hoping that they would talk about you... Until Jimin called me one morning while I was in school. I remember how his voice sounded that day… it was frantic, he was panicking, and his voice was shaking. He told me how you got rushed to the hospital… he told me how you slipped in the bathroom and hit your head on the bathtub and you –“

Taehyung stands, pulling Jungkook into a tight hug. The younger is trembling and he’s crying so much that Taehyung is scared for his well-being. But Jungkook pulls away from him, shaking his head.

"Just hold me, Tae… and let me finish, please. I want you to know."

“You don’t have to tell me, Jungkook… it’s making you so sad and it’s hurting me to see you like –“

“Tae, please… I won’t let you do all the work for us. If I want us to work, I need to tell you all my troubles as you did… so please allow me to continue.”

 

Taehyung bites down on his lower lip and suppresses everything inside. Jungkook smiles and holds Taehyung's hand again, tighter this time if that's even possible.

 

“I was so confused as to why you slipped and hit your head. Were you that sad when I stopped calling you? I’d been asking why because I was too dumb to realize why you ended up in the hospital and I kept going around because no one wanted to tell me the real reason for your accident, but that kind of gave them all away, it clearly told me that it’s my damn fault. I thought that maybe, knowing how clingy you are, it was hard for you to lose me as a friend, like you couldn’t adjust to the idea of not having me in your life at all.” Taehyung blinks at Jungkook, ready to yell at him, but stops himself when he sees how tears are leaving the younger’s eyes. “I should have known then that you reacted that way because I hurt you and that it wasn’t what I thought, but I didn’t. I am a coward and I firmly believed in everything inside my head. I already had my mind set to believe that you could never be happy with me... and then, you wouldn’t wake up... I was so scared and so desperate. I wanted to come back, Tae, I really did... but Saeron, came flying back to Canada just to slap some sense into me. She told me how going back would only make things more complicated when I had already done everything I could to let you go...  please don't hate her, she was the only one I had back then to hold me back when I wanted to come and see you. Mom did too, hit me, I mean. Telling me how I should stand firm for what I believe in, take responsibility for my own actions. They said that I had gone through a lot of trouble to let you go, and if that decision was the cause of the situation you were in, it was best for me to follow through and leave you alone, so you have the chance to heal and move on. I ing felt that.” Jungkook is really crying now and Taehyung busies himself wiping away the tears. “I had put us in that situation where we were both hurt, and their words just made me realize how true that was... That I didn’t deserve you. They told me to leave you alone, but I really couldn’t, not just like that... I asked everyone to let me talk to you or at least do something for me, so I could at least make you feel that I was there, but all the hyungs told me off. They hated me by then, how do you expect Jimin felt?” he chuckles through his tears. “But, it was Jimin who allowed me to be there even when I physically could not. He gave me choices to pick from of how we could do it…”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Jimin is the only one who allowed me to talk to you while you were unconscious… he always gave me enough time to sing you a song or just simply talk to you about my day.” Jungkook smiles. “Imagine how I reacted when I heard you call my name..." it’s a broken smile. "I heard you calling my name as you woke up, Tae. I called your name too... But because you were still in a semi-conscious state, so you wouldn’t have known that I was on loudspeaker. Jimin left the phone while he hurried off to find a doctor to tend to you. I was panicking on my side too, asking what’s wrong and what’s happening and he’s the one to calm me down. He told me how you had just woken up but was still unmoving, how you were being tended to and were responding to the doctor. I was so scared, I thought your condition had worsened, but thankfully it didn’t.”

 

"He's was the first one to lecture me on how much he hated me cutting communication with you... but he was also the only one to help me get close to you when I should have tried harder to pull away. I know you still aren't talking to them, but trust me... It was my fault that they kept a secret from you. I asked them to. I put them in an untenable position and left them no choice but to do as I please. Don't let me make you lose so much Tae. I'm not worth it."

 

“Oh my god…” His knees give out and the memory of hearing Jungkook’s voice the moment he woke up came flooding into his mind. “I wasn’t dreaming… I really heard you that day…”

 

“I was there the whole time, Tae… not physically but I was there.”

 

“Oh my god…”

 

Jungkook sits down beside Taehyung and hugs him tight. "I'm so sorry, Tae… it was all I could do at the time because I put myself in a position of no turning back. And Saeron… she's the only one besides my mom that was there for me when I needed support. She helped me get through it… and right now, she's helping me again, because we both realized how wrong I was to do all the things I did... She’s a friend… I wouldn’t be here if it isn’t for her.”

 

Taehyung looks at Jungkook, incredulously as he pulls away for him. “I’m curious about one thing…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“When you came back and saw me again for the first time, what went on inside your head?”

 

“That you’re so breathtakingly beautiful – ouch." Taehyung hits him and dares him to say more, but Jungkook knows when to stop so he just clears his throat and looks up to stare into Taehyung’s eyes again. “That I want you back… no matter what.”

 

“And what if I was really back with Minjae?”

 

“I – “ he trails off and falters, Taehyung can see that the younger also panics for a second but he wants to make sure. "You wouldn't have been looking at me the way you did that night, if you were back with Minjae though.” He says carefully and he wants to kick himself suddenly for only realizing it now. If only his mind wasn’t so clouded with the idea that Taehyung is happy with someone else, he should’ve seen things clearer. “If you really were back with Minjae and happy with him, then I guess, I would forever pity myself for losing you. If that were the case and you were happy with him, I would be happy for your happiness. However, it would be a different story if you were unhappy with him though... because I would do anything in my power to win you back.”

 

“How sure are you that I will be happier with you now, when you spent five years doubting yourself about it?" he asks with raised eyebrows and a challenging tone. Jungkook looks away for a second and then he’s biting his lower lip before looking back at Taehyung again.

 

“I can start with the things I didn’t manage to do before when you were mine… then carry on from there.”

 

Taehyung gulps, trying to stop himself from hitting Jungkook because of his stupidity. Funny how he finds it stupid now, huh?

 

“Back to Saeron… what did she tell you back in the office when you came to talk to her?”

 

“That I look happy with you… and you look happy with me too.”

 

“What else?”

 

“That I should work hard to get you back.”

 

“And are you planning to follow her advice?”

 

Jungkook lets Taehyung go and looks into his tearful eyes, he holds the other’s face when he’s about to look away to avoid the eye-contact.

 

“Getting you back was my plan all along, Tae. With or without her telling me.”

 

Taehyung’s lips break into a smile and he holds Jungkook’s hands on his face. “Then work hard.”

 

--

 

"You know, this is one thing Yoongi-hyung pointed out for me when I asked for ideas to take you out on a date."

 

Taehyung tears his gaze away from the children running around the wide lawn of the orphanage. The volunteers are playing with them and everyone seems so jolly it makes Taehyung feel warm inside.

 

"When was that?" He asks before looking at the crowd again.

 

"Five years ago. I said I would court you, but I was naïve and didn’t have a clue how to go about it, so I asked them for advice. Yoongi-hyung said how you would love it if I brought you here, more than a fancy yacht date."

 

“I do. Thank you for bringing me here, Jungkook. I'm so happy."

 

Jungkook looks at Taehyung, whose eyes are beaming with obvious happiness. That, for Jungkook, is the sincerest smile he’s witnessed from Taehyung since he came back. It's the same boxy smile he fell in love with five years ago and judging by how his heart is beating at the moment, he feels it again, he can tell that he'll fall in love with it all over again.

 

"If I knew you'd be smiling like that, I would've brought you here sooner." Jungkook tucks one hand inside his pocket and Taehyung glances at him with those intuitive eyes. "I meant to say, five years ago, I didn't have the chance to give you everything Tae. It was over before I could even do anything to make you happy. All there is to look back on is pain."

 

"I was happy then and now, Jungkook," Taehyung says softly and Jungkook feels it. "Back then, the situation we were in took away our chance at happiness, but I was happy. I really was. You made me happy."

 

"I just wish I could turn back time, you know?" The younger smiles faintly and looks down at his shoes. "I just wish I didn't go that day. I just wish I didn't let you go."

 

"Jungkook..."

 

"There are just so many things I regret, Tae. Letting you go is my biggest one."

 

“It should be your biggest regret if you didn’t come back, Jungkook.” Taehyung ruffles the younger’s hair. “But you’re here now, willing to make up with me so it shouldn’t really be your biggest one yet.” he smiles and Jungkook returns his smile.

 

“Are you going to talk to Jimin and the others soon? I bet he misses you."

 

“I know he does but – I’ll talk to him once I reach the island on Friday. Will you be in the mansion with them?”

 

“Ah…” Jungkook averts his eyes. “Yeah, that’s the plan. We’ll stay in the mansion and welcome you guys as you arrive at the hotel.”

 

“Hmm… okay then.”

 

“Tae –“

 

“Let’s go, Kook.” He excitedly pulls Jungkook to stand and runs to where the kids are playing games. “I love this game they’re playing.” The kids are playing a game called caterpillar. Where the “it” runs for the person in the last line. If the “it” manages to take him away, they lose.

 

"Oh, I bet you do. Why don't you stand on the last line and I'll be it.”

 

“You’re on, Jeon!”

 

They interrupt the game and tell the kids about joining and since they’re all already fond of Taehyung, they agree on making him the last person on the line.

 

--

 

Sejin is in the kitchen getting himself a glass of water when he hears the gates open. He takes a look through the large windows of the living room to see Jungkook's car. He didn't realize that he'd be coming back.

 

“Is Jungkook here?” he hears as he makes his way to the door to greet the young Jeon. Sejin looks up to see Jongwan exiting his office.

 

“Yes, he just arrived.”

 

Jongwan nods and stands beside Sejin to welcome his son home. Jungkook opens the front door, playing with his car keys as he enters. He is smiling and that has Jongwan a bit confused. What is he smiling for?

 

"Welcome back," Sejin speaks beside him and it gets Jungkook’s attention. “You look happy.”

 

“I – uh, I am. Hi… I didn’t know you were still awake.”

 

“It’s just after ten o’clock, Kook-ah. Have you eaten? Did you pack for tomorrow?”

 

“Yes and no.” the young Jeon takes a pitcher of water from the fridge and pours himself a glass. “I had dinner back at the orphanage and no, I haven’t packed yet.”

 

“You came from the orphanage?” Jongwan asks and watches Sejin take Jungkook’s coat, saying the younger worked hard today. It warms his heart, especially when Jungkook smiles at Sejin and murmurs a “Thanks”.

 

“Yeah, I did. I was with Tae."

 

Both men freeze, but Jungkook’s attention is already on his phone. It’s ringing and the younger takes the call.

 

“Hi Tae, yeah… I just got home.”

 

Jungkook leaves them gawking, both confused as to what they just heard from the younger.

 

“Looks like they’ll be okay now, Sejin-ah," Jongwan speaks first, hand on Sejin’s waist to hold him close. “No need to worry now, Babe, they’ll be fine.”

 

“They better be. I hate seeing them both sad, Jongwan. It’s like seeing a reflection of ourselves and I hate the feeling.”

 

“It’s frustrating right?” Sejin nods and Jongwan chuckles before pressing a kiss to his lover’s forehead. “They’ll be fine.”

 

--

 

“Are you packing now?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“For tomorrow, silly. Aren’t you leaving for the island tomorrow?”

 

“Oh…” he glances at his luggage and smiles. “I’ll do that after this call. Are you in bed now?” He’s lying, he doesn't have luggage to pack.

 

“Yes… I’m really tired.”

 

“Then you should go to sleep, Tae.”

 

"Hey, Kookie?”

 

“Hmm?” Jungkook sits at his study table and opens up his laptop to check his emails and maybe return one or two of them. “What is it, Tae?”

 

“We’re going to work things out this time, right?”

 

That puts a stop to Jungkook. Taehyung’s voice sounds insecure, scared even and it hurts him. Taehyung trusted them together so much before, hearing him like this hurts him now. It’s his fault that Taehyung doubts them, but it’s his move to make it better.

 

"Yes, Tae… we're going to work things out this time."

 

“… no more running away?”

 

“No more running away, Tae. I know it’s still early for me to ask you to trust me so I won’t ask, but I’m sure we’re going to work things out this time around, Tae. This time, it’s just us. You and I…”

 

"You're happy."

 

They share a chuckle at that, and he can hear Taehyung yawning before asking what he’s doing right now.

 

“I think I’m going to reply to some emails tonight, then take a bath before going to bed. You should really sleep now, Tae. You’re –“ Soft snores can be heard from the other end of the line and Jungkook smiles. “Goodnight, Taehyung.”

 

--

 

Jimin sees them first, so he waves at them excitedly. It’s mid-morning Thursday, and they’ll shortly be winging their way to the island in the private jet. The plan is for them to stay in the mansion on the first night and then welcome all the other employees at the hotel the next day

 

 “Uncle Sejin!” Jimin greets the older with a hug. “How are you?”

 

“I’m okay Jimin. And you?”

 

“I am too!” he chirps before turning to Saeron who is talking to Jongwan. “Hello again, Saeron-ssi.”

 

“Oh.” Saeron bows to Jimin. “Hello, Jimin-ssi. And to everyone as well.”

 

Namjoon, Jin, and Yoongi just smile at the girl before asking where Jungkook is.

 

“Oh… he’ll be coming tomorrow together with the rest of the employees.”

 

Jimin and Jin eye the girl in confusion. “What do you mean?”

 

She smiles at them sincerely and shrugs. “He decided to stay back and come tomorrow so he can accompany Taehyung-ssi.”

 

“Did you know this, Uncle?” Namjoon addresses Jongwan, who only nods, remembering how his son visited their room last night to tell them about his plans and they should inform his grandparents about it.

 

~~

 

“Dad? Can I come in?”

 

Sejin springs away from Jongwan and sits up. “Sure, Jungkook," Jongwan says after clearing his throat.

 

The door opens slowly and Jungkook sticks his head inside. "Hi… sorry to bother you but mom just called me saying they'll be arriving on the island tomorrow morning."

 

“Oh, I know. She called me earlier to tell me they’ll be visiting. Are they arriving in the morning?”

 

“Yes… you are traveling with Jihyun-ssi and Taeyeon, right?” Jungkook asks, occupying the end of the bed.

 

“Yes, son… do you mind?”

 

“No, Dad. I don’t. I’m simply asking.” He chuckles. “We’re all part of the same family now. Why would I mind it?”

 

"Wait, did you just say, "we are traveling with them"? Or did I hear it wrong?" Sejin interrupts.

 

“Uh… I decided to stay back. I’ll be traveling with everyone else.”

 

“Why? Is it uncomfortable that –“

 

“No Sejin-ssi, it doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable.” He smiles and scratches his nape out of shyness. “It’s just… Tae will be arriving there on Friday and – I decided to stay back so I can accompany him...”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Oh my.”

 

The two exclaim and Jungkook whines. “Oh, come on, no teasing!”

 

“We aren’t teasing though.”

 

“Your smug face tells me otherwise, Dad! And Sejin-ssi’s smirking as well!”

 

“We’re just happy, that’s all… I’m glad you decided to stay back with Tae, Jungkook.” Sejin says truthfully.

 

“But aren’t you supposed to be Sae’s tour guide?”

 

“About that… Somi will be the one to take her around. I called her and she agreed, as long as Sae is okay with it.”

 

~~

 

“And that’s what happened.”

 

Jimin can’t believe this, he really can’t. But, he’s happy those two are making progress. “Did Tae know?”

 

“He probably does now.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

--

 

Taehyung stayed late at work, trying to finish a sample of their work for the Gangnam project.

He turns off his desk lamp and checks on everything else before exiting the office. There’s no one else around since everyone is excited for tomorrow’s departure to Isla Perdida.

He didn’t get to see Jungkook, but they’ve been texting all day. Not to mention, the younger asked his secretary to give him lunch again that afternoon.

 

He decided to take public transport because he’s having those days where he wants to think by himself and with some luck, find inspiration as he walks back home.

 

He looks up to the starry sky, lifting his left hand and the bracelet on his wrist slips back at the motion.

 

“He must on the island by now…” he whispers, smiling. “It’s okay Taehyung. He’ll call you when he’s arrived.”

 

He exhales loudly. He feels so good. It only takes him three steps though, before he looks up and stops dead in his tracks.

 

“I see you’re wearing the bracelet again.”

 

“What –“

 

"Hi, Tae…"

--

A/N: I'll see you guys on the comment section! Thanks for reading. <3