003: Love Maze

OUR PREDESTINED END

They all returned to JGC, after lunch. While Jin went with Namjoon to his office, Hoseok and Jimin are lazing around in Yoongi's.

 

“They’re going to be fine, right?” Jimin asks.

 

Hoseok sits up from where he was lying on the couch and turns to face Jimin. “I mean… they should be, right? I’m sure Taehyung will listen to whatever Jungkook has to say.”

 

“I’m worried about Tae and Kook… I still can’t believe Jungkook thought like that for four years and three months…”

 

"I wonder at what went through Tae's head as he thought about all the possible reasons why Jungkook could have stopped calling him… I can only imagine how hurt he must have felt." Yoongi says sadly. "Then just last night we informed him about Saeron and our assumptions around that situation. Why do we always things up for them?"

 

--

 

"What are you doing here, Jungkook?"

 

Jungkook looks over his shoulder to find Taehyung standing in the door, a surprised look on his face.  

 

The very man he's been thinking about; the man he left for five years without any assurances of returning to, is standing right in front of him.

 

"Tae..."

 

"Why are you touching my things?" he asks after noticing that Jungkook is holding the bracelet together with the box and the keys to their supposed home.

 

"You still have them." Jungkook says, smiling at the things in his hands. That Taehyung had kept these things means a lot to Jungkook. It is all the assurance he needs, it means that Taehyung is still his Taehyung. His Taehyung, no one else's.

 

"Where exactly did you expect to find them?" Jungkook notices a sudden change in the air around them so he looks up again. Taehyung quickly schools his face back in to indifference and Jungkook almost backs away.

 

"What are you doing here, Jungkook? Don't make me ask for a third time."

 

Jungkook gulps, afraid that what he's about to say might trigger a bad reaction from Taehyung, but he lets it out anyway.

 

"I'm here to try and save us, Tae..."

 

Taehyung does not understand at all.

 

"Whatever do you mean by that?" He asks as he approaches the younger. Jungkook smiles at Yeonjun who is looking up at him with admiration, being the first time he meets Jungkook in person, having only seen him through video calls with his mom. “Do we still have something left to save?”

 

Jungkook tears his gaze away from Yeonjun to look back at Taehyung. “I still believe we do.”

 

"I don’t think we do. You cutting off all communication with me is a clear message that we have nothing left to save, Jungkook.”

 

Jungkook's hand stills on Yeonjun's head, Taehyung is looking at him in a way he has never done before.

 

"Taehyung, about that -"

 

"Look Jungkook, I don't want to talk about this now. I have things to do and -"

 

"Then after?" Jungkook hurries before Taehyung can decline. "Please, I'll wait for you to finish. I'll be in Dad's office today. I'll wait for you."

 

"Can't this wait until I am ready to talk to you? I waited for you to be ready for five years..."

 

"It was a mistake on my part, Tae... It was a stupid mistake and if you're willing to listen, I will explain everything. I'm to blame for what happened between us. I know that you probably doubted or maybe blamed yourself, questioning what went wrong... but you did nothing wrong. It was all me."

 

“Don’t call it that Jungkook, no matter how stupid it could possibly be on your part, it kept you away from me for five years. I don't think that is just a stupid mistake. That was a conscious decision you made, on your own I might add, and stuck to for all that time." Taehyung glares at him.

 

“I know… and if you’ll let me, hear me out Tae. I want to clear things up between us.”

 

“How can you expect me to listen? For four years and three months, you shut me out of your life completely. Why the hell should I listen to you now?”

 

“I – I heard things from our friends and –“

 

“And now you’re here. You guys listen to each other so well, don't you?” Taehyung mocks. “Yeonjun, please go to your Jihoonie-hyung for a while.”

 

“Are you fighting with Jungkookie-hyung?”

 

“No baby… We’ll try not to, okay? Now go.”

 

Yeonjun hesitantly exits the room and as soon as Taehyung sees Jihoon tend to him, he closes the door behind him and once again goes face to face with Jungkook.

 

“I expected a better outcome from us, Jungkook.” Taehyung starts. “But looking at us right now, I don’t think I can call this better.”

 

Jungkook tears his gaze away from Taehyung and places the box carefully down on the table. “I know… I went away to heal myself, to be better but it didn’t actually help me much.”

 

“It helped you.” Taehyung rolls his eyes, putting his fisted hands in his waist, while watching Jungkook squirm under his intense scrutiny. “You look so much better now, Jungkook.”

 

“I don’t Taehyung. You know me better than that. I’m not better.”

 

“Except, I don’t know you anymore. You left five years ago. If there is anyone who knows you better than I used to, it should be that girl you came home with.”

 

“Taehyung, she’s –“

 

“I don’t want to hear it, Jungkook. Now tell me why you’re really here. I have things to do and no offense, but you are in the way of my productivity.”

 

"Because I want to work things out between us, Tae."

 

Silence follows Jungkook's words and Taehyung exhales a breath he didn't know he was holding.  He knows he should not be biting down on his lower lip and supressing his tears.

 

He is still staring at Jungkook who now just looks so defeated, but it's not Taehyung's fault, right?

He's not the one who ghosted someone for years. He's the one who waited. He didn't go anywhere because he made the grave mistake of placing his trust so completely in Jungkook.

He's the one who trusted blindly without first-hand information, because Jungkook never asked him to stop waiting. He's the one blindly believing that his love would return to him. He just wanted Jungkook back.

 

Last night however, was the proof that he'd been lying to himself about his own expectations because he doesn't want Jungkook back if it's not back to him.

 

But Jungkook didn't come back to him.

 

The self-pity in his chest feels overwhelming. He was blind and expected too much. He never let himself consider the possibility that they could be completely over and now it hurts more than ever.

 

 

"How have you been, Jungkook?" Taehyung manages to sound normal despite the tightness in his throat and chest.

 

Maybe it's the kind of question Jungkook wanted to hear because he visibly relaxes, and when he looks up into Taehyung's eyes, he can see hope flare in them.

 

And longing. That's definitely longing in Jungkook's eyes and maybe it mirrors his own as he stares back at the younger.

 

"I'm supposed to be asking you that..."

 

"Then ask."

 

"How have you been, Taehyung?"

 

Taehyung smiles faintly as he moves to take a seat behind his table. Jungkook takes it as a signal for him to be seated as well, but on the couch.

 

"I've been well, if that will make you feel better." Taehyung shrugs and watches Jungkook playing with his hands, probably to distract himself. "Not the first months after you stopped calling though, but I made it. Many things happened in those five years that you weren't around."

 

There’s sadness in Jungkook’s face and Taehyung knows he shouldn’t feel sorry about it, but he’s Kim Taehyung so of course he feels sympathy. "Congratulations on your promotion... You deserve it." Jungkook murmurs and Taehyung smiles. "I was involved in one of the board meetings where they made the decision to hand the position to you. Auntie was very insistent that when she stepped down you should take over."

 

"It was hell, or so I heard. They never included me in those board meetings so I will never know, right?"

 

"Yeah... " Jungkook smiles. From Taehyung’s office, he can still see what’s happening outside and he found himself watching his nephew go around to everyone in the A-Team. He’s not distracting them, but Yeonjun can be really persistent with his questions. He experienced it during one of their face time sessions.

 

"Have you heard about the guy who impregnated Somi?"

 

The smile is instantly wiped from Jungkook's face. His reaction confirms that he has, so Taehyung continues.

 

"I don't even know what kind of heart he has to leave Somi and Yeonjun... They're both beautiful."

 

"Somi was crying over the phone when she told me." Jungkook says in a low voice, watching his nephew show one of his drawings to Jihoon. "My grandmother almost had a heart attack when she found out, you know? I was equally scared. I didn't know how I could support her... She's like the sister I never had and she's the Princess of our family. Whatever happens to her is everyone's responsibility... I felt like I failed somehow."

 

"You didn't... She's doing great." Taehyung assures as he himself watches Yeonjun smile at Jihoon. He’s probably asking Jihoon about his assignment for day care because they were talking about it in the car on their way back after lunch. "Somi made sure that kid is on top of his game even at such an early age. And Yeonjun makes sure his mom is always happy."

 

"Thanks for being there for them, Tae..." Jungkook turns to Taehyung with a grateful smile. "I... I wasn't there but I know you were the one holding her hands when she gave birth."

 

"Who told you?"

 

"Dad."

 

Taehyung hums acknowledging Jungkook's gratitude. The silence that surrounds them this time is different and Taehyung knows what is coming by the way Jungkook is looking at him, so he speaks first.

 

"I heard from Hoseok-hyung that... you never asked about me."

 

Jungkook stiffens and Taehyung moves to where Jungkook is sitting. They’re now less than five feet apart, both of them nervous but the proximity is enough to calm Taehyung, only he doesn't know if it's the same for Jungkook. Judging by how Jungkook slowly relaxes again it probably is.

 

Some things just don’t change, Taehyung thinks. When Jungkook is near him it makes him feel safe and he’s not going to deny that it still does.

 

"Yeah... I never asked."

 

"Why?"

 

"I didn't have to... Dad and Sejin-ssi always kept me informed. Whenever they called me, Dad would tell me how you are doing and what's happening with you, I never asked him to, he just did and I would always stay quiet to listen, Tae…"

 

"That's unfair... why didn’t you ask them to stop talking about me to you when you asked them to stop talking about you with me?"

 

"I know." Jungkook says, now facing Taehyung who has his head bowed. "And I'm sorry... I'm so sorry Tae."

 

“No… you would have known I’d be waiting for you if you still let them talk about me with you. You would have known, Jungkook. I didn’t go anywhere and they must have told you that.”

 

“I – I never asked about that Taehyung… all they told me was how you are and if you’re doing better, what you’re up to and how your days went. They never talked about your feelings with me because I always cut them off  when I thought they were about to tell me… they were cautious about what they told me about you ever since the day I asked them to stop talking about me with you. I didn’t –”

 

“Because they think you’re trying to forget about me, right? You made them think like that!”

 

“Maybe I did but – Tae please… Even if I tried to, I wouldn’t be here in front of you now if I had succeeded… It doesn’t matter how much I tried… it’s still you that I want in the end.“

 

Taehyung is crying. Jungkook knows he is because there are teardrops falling from his face.

 

"Did you know what's been filling my head from the day you stopped calling me?"

 

Jungkook doesn't say anything but he got the idea what’s about to come so Taehyung continues.

 

"I doubted myself, Jungkook. I felt like I had done something wrong for you to stop calling me… You'll never know how many times I stopped myself from calling you because I promised you I wouldn't and I knew I would only beg you to come back to me… There were nights I couldn't sleep on my own and I would find myself driving back to the penthouse or your home in Hannam Hill. During those times, Dad would scold me because the guards would call the mansion to let them know I was there. Again. Then in the mornings, Jimin would be there to hug me tight and tell me everything's going to be okay… Except it never became okay."

 

"You don't know how many times I almost bought tickets to come and see you... You will never know how many times I cried over you... You will never know how many times I heard our friends tell me that you didn't call any of them... You will never know how I felt when Hoseok-hyung told me you never asked about me..."

 

"Tae... "

 

"Did you know I had been dealing with nightmares? I always had them when I was alone and drowning in your memories, Jungkook. Did you know I had been hospitalized for not eating? Did you know that I collapsed and hit my head and didn’t wake up for days or at least because I didn’t want to?"

 

"I knew... I know Taehyung. I know all of that. But you will never know how many times I stopped myself from coming back or from calling you because -"

 

"Because you stopped!" Taehyung lands a punch on Jungkook's chest and Jungkook takes it, as if he had been expecting at least this coming from Taehyung. "You stopped calling me! You stopped people from telling me what's up with you! Did you know that was the only thing that kept me going?! Four years and three months, Jungkook. I've heard nothing about you for four years and three months. Because you asked them to stop telling me anything. Because you stopped calling me. Because you are unfair like that. You are selfish -"

 

"Because I thought you and Minjae are back together."

 

Taehyung stops punching Jungkook's chest and slowly looks up at the other incredulously.

 

"What?" He asks, almost in whisper. "Wha - did I hear you right? Y-you think I'm back together with Minjae?"

 

"I'm so sorry Tae... I -"

 

"No. No way. Oh my god. Get the away from me right now, Jeon."

 

"Taehyung, please. Let me explain. I -"

 

"No!" Taehyung pushes Jungkook away and turns around, pulling his styled hair into a mess. "Oh ... Oh - exactly what made you think that?! Oh my god... What made you -?"

 

Jungkook quickly back hugs Taehyung but the other shakes himself free from the tight hold.

 

"No, get away... Get away from me! I can't believe you - I can't believe you... What - what made you think that?!"

 

"Tae... I - you were talking about him. You were happily telling me about how he's back and how you've given him a chance and -"

 

"AND YOU ING THOUGHT IT'S THE KIND OF CHANCE THOSE STUPID WEAK PEOPLE WHO GET CHEATED ON GIVE TO THEIR CHEATER OF AN EX?! IS THAT IT?!"

 

Taehyung strongly removes Jungkook's hold on him now. They're both crying now. This is exactly why Taehyung didn't want to talk about them now.

 

"Get out, Jungkook. I'm done talking to you. Please get out.'

 

"Tae -"

 

"Get out."

 

"Can we at least talk after work? Please Tae..."

 

"I - I don't know... Please, just leave."

 

"Tae -"

 

"Just leave Jungkook!"

 

“If I leave right now, will that save us?”

 

Taehyung scoffs at that and glares at Jungkook. “You did the same thing for five years… did that save us?”

 

It hurts.

 

It really does.

 

Because the one who begged him to stay five years ago, is the very same person who's asking him to leave now.

 

"I will not force you to listen..." Jungkook says upon reaching the threshold of Taehyung's office. "I've lost whatever rights I had to make you listen the day I stopped calling you. And you know what?" Taehyung doesn't say anything but Jungkook takes it as a hint for him to continue. "I'd be more than happy to call you every day even more right now that I'm back here with you... but I guess I'm not allowed anymore..."

 

"You know the first thing I wanted to do when you came back, was to hug you as soon as you walked through those doors… but you never gave me the opportunity." Taehyung cries harder as Jungkook stops to listen to him again. "I waited for you for five years, Jungkook... I worked hard to get myself moving when I find out you decided to study architecture again in England. I wanted nothing but to stand beside you, being the best version of myself because that's why we broke up, right? To become a better version of ourselves or at least that's what you said our break up was for... We wanted to be the best for each other when we met again. But, things never went the way we planned, right? Nothing went according to how we wanted it… and we still have nothing figured out Jungkook, even now."

 

"Tae -"

 

"You know what I realized last night?" He looks up to Jungkook with tears flowing down his cheeks. "That I still love you very much, Jungkook. I never stopped. That even after five years of you being absent from my life, I'm still glad you’re back... I'm still happy to see you and it's what scares me the most... Because, I've been wondering how much I really love you. You gave me something I'll be scared of for the rest of my life. If I ever did take you back..."

 

"Taehyung please -"

 

"Don't move any closer please... Let me tell you everything from this distance..."

 

Jungkook stays silent and Taehyung almost wishes he didn't.

 

"You made me scared of losing you... so right now I don’t know if I will ever want you back because you have this tendency of leaving me…"

 

"I'm not going anywhere again, Taehyung... I'm here to stay -"

 

“The last time I heard those words, you were gone for five years.” Taehyung scoffs. "Please leave... Just leave, Jungkook."

 

"Is... Is that what you really want, Tae?"

 

Taehyung lifts up his head and met Jungkook's tearful eyes.

 

"Yes. It's all I want."

 

When the door closes, Taehyung feels like he's ripped out his own heart.

 

Yeonjun comes running back in to the office and hugs Taehyung.

 

“Taehyungie-hyung…”

 

He doesn't get to answer because when he looks at the child's doe eyes focused on him; he breaks down, crying even harder than he thought he could.

 

--

 

Jungkook went to the mansion and found his grandparents relaxing in the lounge while having tea. His grandfather is watching something on the television, while his grandmother is knitting what looks to be a red scarf.

 

He doesn't really want to disturb them, but he still finds himself carefully sitting between them. He hugs his grandmother, who puts her knitting aside.

 

"Oh, what's the matter dear? And why are you here? I thought you decided to stay in your own home in Hannam -"

 

"Grandma... You remember the day we left England, when I told you I'm okay and that I have everything under control?"

 

"Hmm? Did something happen?"

 

"Yeah... Nothing is okay right now."

 

Sejin is descending the stairs when he hears what Jungkook is saying and it makes him stop in the middle of the staircase. He knew Jungkook was there because he saw him arrive from the upstairs windows.

 

"Tae doesn't want me anymore. It's all because of my stupid mistake..."

 

Sejin is sure he can hear Jungkook sob, but it gets muffled by the old woman's embrace.

 

"I - maybe it was the distance?" A sob. "No, I'm sure it's the distance." Another sob. "It was the distance that affected my head so much... It twisted Tae's words and it messed with my head... Grandma, why can't I make this right? Why can't -"

 

"Because you never tell Taehyung what’s bothering you, Jungkook." His grandmother says in a hushed manner, but Sejin can still hear her. "You know what's difficult in loving the boys from this family? It's because you boys always, and I mean always, think that it's okay not to tell your partner everything that is messing with your head… especially when you think it'll mess up theirs as well. And here I thought you've learned from what happened to your dad and Sejin-ssi... It happened to you and Taehyung before and it caused your relationship with him to fall apart and yet, here you are crying because of the same thing again. Jungkook, you need to tell Taehyung what's wrong for him to try and help you with it. It will clear your mind. All you have to do is speak up... that’s how you can make this work with him, Jungkook. Love is never ‘if’ and ‘because’. Love is ‘anyway’, ‘even though’ and ‘in spite of’."

 

"I don't think I'll be able to... I can't have him back anymore."

 

--

 

Sejin watches Jungkook, who is now sitting at the dining table. It's been three hours since he arrived and had only now calmed down, his eyes red and puffy from all the crying he'd been doing.

 

He cautiously moves past the younger and occupies the seat across from him. Jungkook looks up at him for a second before continuing whatever he's doing on his MacBook.

 

"Are you booking a flight back to Canada?" He asks, making Jungkook look up again. "You know running away will not solve anything. It will only hurt the both of you more."

 

Jungkook doesn't say anything in return and carries on with whatever he's doing, so Sejin continues.

 

"He missed you a lot, Jungkook. And I was angry when you stopped calling him for some unknown reasons, but when you said it was for the better, I trusted you."

 

"I know... I'm sorry. I'm a mess and -"

 

"I'm not about to scold you kid, I did the same thing before and trust me, I understand you. What I'm trying to say is, Taehyung is probably mad because of whatever you told him but trust me when I say that he never ever wants to see you go again. When I lost Jongwan the first time, it tore me apart. Losing him for the second time, made me believe that we were not meant to be... Meeting him after losing him twice proved otherwise and my hope and belief in us was revived… All I'm saying is, Taehyung loves you very much, Jungkook. And -"

 

"I know." Jungkook smiles at Sejin and it reminds him of his own man's smile. "But he made it very clear that he wants me to go, Sejin-ssi. I don't think -"

 

"I once asked Jongwan the same thing, Jungkook. Don't make the same mistakes we did."

 

"Then what do you want me to do? Court him? Because I don't think it's that easy -"

 

"So you're telling me you're just going to give up?" Sejin sassed. "Are you seriously going to do the same thing Jongwan and I did? It hurts so much to go down that path, Jungkook."

 

"Do you think I don't know that? I've been gone for five years, doubted the love of my life's love for me for almost the whole time I was gone... how can I say that I deserve him?"

 

"Jungkook -"

 

"I know you're telling me to go after Taehyung... but he was never really running away from me. It was I, who ran away from him."

 

“Exactly!” Sejin says in a slightly high pitched voice. “In my and your father’s case, it was I who kept on running… but did your dad ever run? No. I always found him exactly where I left him. My Taehyung is right where you left him five years ago, Jungkook… and running away from him again will only prove that you don’t deserve him. So think carefully Jungkook, because if you chose to leave him again, don’t ever come back.”

 

--

 

Taehyung finds Jimin occupying the single sofa, while Jin is fixing a blanket over Yeonjun. He's just come back from Jongwan's office where they discussed some things that need to be done at the Daegu Hotel. They were not supposed to meet about the matter today and he was surprised when Jongwan called him to his office.

 

“I’m taking him back myself.” He says after loosening his tie. “You guys can go now.”

 

Jimin looks at Jin sadly, making the older male sigh. “Tae, we know you’re still mad at us –“

 

“Yes I’m still mad, so please leave. I am done dealing with you. I’ve run out of energy since Jungkook came here to talk so please – spare me.”

 

“We know he’s been here –“

 

“I’m no longer surprised that you know honestly.” Taehyung leans back in his chair and looks at his friends’ faces. “Please leave. I’m not dealing with any of you right now.”

 

“Tae please –“

 

“No is no, Jimin.” Taehyung snaps, he’s not feeling good at the moment. He needs everyone to stop talking to him about this. “Leave if you don’t want me to physically fight you.”

 

Jimin stands before him as if he’s going to cry and Taehyung wants to apologise, but he chooses to stand his ground.

 

“Just leave and don’t you cry now, Jimin. You know how this hurt me. You are my best friend. You’re supposed to tell me things. You, of all people, have seen me broken down. You’ve watched me almost give up on myself, Jimin. Never once in those times… did you even think of telling me?”

 

“I was really going to, Tae… I was really planning on telling you. But Kookie said –“

 

“So just because Jungkook says no, you gave in? Is that how it works now?”

 

“Tae no –“

 

“Then how does it work, Jimin?! Because the last time I checked, I am your best friend, not Jungkook.”

 

“Guys –“ Jin tries to interrupt. Yoongi comes in with Namjoon trailing behind him only to see Jimin crying and Taehyung in a temper.

 

"Best friends are supposed to be supportive of each other, Jimin. You were supposed to support me, care for my wellbeing and happiness – in those times when I needed him the most, never once did any of you tell me that he called. That he knew. That he was ing worried. That was all I needed to know to get back on my feet. It was all I needed… but you never told me. You lied about him not calling. You lied about him not caring…" Taehyung lets out a sob, the fight suddenly leaving him and all he wants right now is a hug, but the one he wants to hug him is not there.

 

“Please… leave me alone… for now. I can’t take any more of this.”

 

“Jimin, let’s go.”

 

Yeonjun wakes and immediately attaches himself to Taehyung's thigh.

 

“Taehyungie-hyung… why you sad?”

 

And he really wants to smile but he doesn’t.

 

“Please leave.”

 

--

 

"Hey, Jungkook?"

 

Jungkook takes off his earphones as his father enters his room. He heard him knock three times but chose to ignore it. Jongwan sits on Jungkook's bed and watches him scurry to sit up against the headboard of his bed.

 

"Dad." He greets with a slight smile. "How's your day?"

 

"Fine, but tiring... Taehyung and I talked about some plans for the hotel in Daegu."

 

"Yeah? Tell me about it."

 

"There are things Taehyung and his family want to add because of the extension with their farm. We are researching ways to try and increase the appeal of the farm. It's already an attraction, that's why we chose it, but we want to make it more exciting, make it more of a tourist attraction, you know?”

 

Jungkook nods in approval. He's been hearing a lot of reviews about the partnership. It in fact surprised him to learn that the Kims started off their business with the help of Jeons.

 

"It will soon be your responsibility. It’ll be your turn to help Taehyung deal with the development in Daegu. That hotel has something original, it's different compared to the ones we already had, so try to be careful about it."

 

"I know Dad."

 

Jongwan smiles at him proudly. And Jungkook wonders how he ever could have thought that this man wasn't proud of him, when he was always smiling at him like that.

 

"Are you ready to take over?"

 

"Dad, I've been with grandpa and grandma for a very long time, we both know I'm ready."

 

Jongwan laughs and leans back on the bed, supporting his weight on his elbows.

 

"I know you've been ready for this Kook, but I want you to understand that you have bigger responsibilities, son. You have your mother's company to take care of... You were never destined for JGC alone."

 

That's true. Jungkook is the son of an heir and an heiress. Of course he has bigger responsibilities, especially when his grandparents on his mother side are very keen to have him take over their company as well. Junghyun will be a great help as he grows older, but Jungkook shoulders almost the entire responsibility for both companies and that puts him in a much more pressured position compared to his cousins. JGC is already the best in its field, but his mother's company only has him and his brother to rely on in the future. They're both aware of that.

 

"Mom is still not planning to have me working there, Dad. We both know that she will want to be in charge of it until she decides to retire and have me take over. They have it covered on that side. All they want from me is support and availability whenever they ask for my help."

 

"I know, so tell me about your plans? I heard you booked a flight back to Canada?"

 

"Yes, I did... I decided to help mom with closing a deal and I'm needed there on the weekends. The meeting is on Saturday."

 

"So you're coming back?"

 

"Yeah... I have to."

 

Jongwan lets out a tired sigh before looking at his son's eyes.

 

"You just came back, Kook-ah... When are you returning after your engagements there?"

 

"I'll be back on Tuesday. I just really need to help mom. Why? Do you need me for something?"

 

Jongwan smiles and Jungkook almost rolls his eyes. "Well... The meeting for the team building will be on Friday. I want you to be present there... The heads of the departments will be attending the meeting, but since you'll be in Canada, I guess I'll move the meeting to Thursday. Is that good for you?"

 

"Thursday..." He checks his calendar and it’s just for show, because he's sure he's free for the whole week since he'll be taking over JGC next week. "I'm free on that day." He says. "I'll join the meeting then."

 

"Good." Jongwan claps and in a matter of seconds, he's face turns from merry to serious. "Now... Shall we talk about Taehyung?"

 

"Dad -"

 

"Jungkook, I didn't ask you when you told me not to tell Taehyung things about you before, even though I disapproved of your decision, I said okay because I thought it would be for your own sake and his... but I feel like your decision back fired? He was obviously very hurt last night, Kook-ah -"

 

"I know. No need to point it out Dad."

 

"Sorry... What went wrong? Why did you ask us not to tell him about you?"

 

"Because I thought being reminded of me would hinder him in having his own happiness..."

 

"What?" Jongwan's face contorts to confusion. "Aren't you his happiness though?"

 

"Well back then I thought he found his happiness by being with Minjae."

 

Jungkook is sure the entire household is surprised when Jongwan asks him:

 

"EXACTLY WHAT MADE YOU THINK THAT?"

 

“Dad, oh my God, can you chill?” Jungkook says while covering his ears. “I’ve heard an earful from grandma already. I’ve listened to what Sejin-ssi had to say as well… I don’t need to hear from you too. I know I am wrong for assuming things but… I was scared. Five years ago, I felt like Taehyung is the only person I can truly have for myself and losing him would hurt so much. The moment I heard him talking about Minjae and how he was giving him a chance, it messed with my head and twisted Tae’s words… there’s no excuse. I’m done making excuses. I know I’m stupid.”

 

“Hey, look at me Jungkook.” Jongwan raises his son’s face with his index finger and smiles as he finds him pouting cutely. “Yes, you were stupid. Of all the things you have done, it was assuming things… but listen, son. Taehyung loves you very much, okay? He really does. I’ve –“

 

“I know that. He made sure I know that, Dad. I –“

 

“And you love him too. I’m proud of you for being done making excuses because that means you have been thinking of ways to win him back… right?”

 

“It’s not like I can give up on him now that I know Minjae is, well just a friend.”

 

“Exactly. Now you’re aware that it won’t be easy to win him back. Taehyung will be pushing you away for some time, but I’m sure he doesn’t want you away from him. Use that to your advantage.”

 

Jungkook scoffs at that because wow, he really did get his character from his Dad. “What the heck are you saying, Dad?”

 

“Court him?”

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

“Maybe. But, we all know you’ll do it anyway. Maybe if Taehyung and Minjae really were back together, you would have done something by now. I doubt you'd just be sitting around, waiting. I know how you two started, Jungkook. You’ll get him back in any way you can. I know you. You’re my son.” Jongwan shrugs before moving away from Jungkook and stretching. “It’s just; I know Taehyung is worth it, Jungkook. That kid shows so much more than he allows himself to. I’ve seen you grow and if there is someone out there I would truly want for you, it's him. Taehyung is the only one you've allow to know you, Jungkook.”

 

“I know Dad… I know.”

 

Jongwan lets out a frustrated sigh. “Jungkook, I don’t want you to be in the same situation I was in. It hurt so much, to the point where I almost wanted to kill myself just to stop feeling so much pain… It hurts when you want someone you cannot have, it hurts even more when you've had that person and lost them. Trust me son, you don't want to go there."

 

 

Once alone, Jungkook is deep in thought, mulling over all the thing people have said to him today.

 

They made him realize just how much of himself he has lost through Taehyung. His father and Sejin-ssi have warned him off walking the same path they did, but it would be foolish of Jungkook to deny that he's already half way down it. He's already feeling the way his father had described.

 

Taehyung is so much a part of him that once he lost; he would never be able to recover.

 

He springs from his bed, grabs his car keys and runs his way out of the house.

 

His grandparents are having dinner with his father and Sejin and he hears them calling his name but he ignores it, speeding away with his car.

 

“Is your son going where I think he is going, Jongwan?” Sejin asks as he watches Jungkook’s car almost hitting the gates because he can’t wait for it to be fully open.

 

“I think he is.” He calls the guard at the front gate. “Did Jungkook tell you where he is going?”

 

“No sir.”

 

“Okay, thanks.” He turns around and finds his parents worried. “He’ll be back, mom, dad. He knows what he’s doing, and we all know he'll do everything he can to get what he wants."

 

--

 

Taehyung is watching Jin cook dinner for him and Yeonjun. He really doesn’t want any of his friends to be around, but somehow having Jin is a relief, not only because the other cooks their food, but because he just wants someone to be there that is okay with the silence of not talking.

 

“I will leave after I've cooked your dinner, Tae.” Jin says without turning away from stirring whatever it is that he’s cooking. “Namjoon is waiting for me in the parking lot.”

 

He doesn’t say anything, he doesn’t trust himself to, but he has one question for Jin. He looks up from his phone and fixes his eyes on Jin's back.

 

“Hyung… can you tell me what Jungkook told you when he asked you not to tell me any more about him?”

 

Jin pauses and turns to him in slow motion while wiping his hands on his apron.

 

“I don’t know how he told the others but when I told him how happy you are to know that he’s doing well, he just went silent and then he told me not to give you updates about him anymore…”

 

“How exactly did he tell you?”

 

“Hyung, Taehyung is happy, right? Even though it’s just a memory of me or just news about me that you guys are telling him, I don’t want to be what holds him back… he deserves to be happy, hyung. So please, can you stop updating him about me? Just tell him I stopped calling you as well… I just don’t want him to feel obligated or burdened.”

 

Taehyung remains frozen in his seat and Jin thinks they are done talking, but then the younger sighs and scoffs behind him, so he turns back around.

 

“I can’t believe he’s so stupid… He stopped calling me after nine months and eventually asked our friends and family to stop giving me updates about him a few months later, because he wants me to be happy?”

 

“Tae, Jungkook is stupid and insecure. We –“

 

“Don’t make excuses for him, Hyung.” Taehyung snaps. “I’m done hearing it.”

 

“I’m just saying, Tae… Five years ago Jungkook left to find himself. He left insecure. He left scared. He left without you beside him; do you seriously think he’s been any better than you during those years?” Taehyung keeps quiet and Jin smiles slightly. “I’m not trying to make excuses for him, Tae. You know I will fight whoever hurts you, but you and I also know that we can’t blame Jungkook for thinking that way. I know it’s stupid of him, but he was scared, Tae.”

 

“Then he should’ve told me… he should’ve told me to stop talking about it instead of running away from me.”

 

“Tae, we both know Jungkook would rather have himself hurt and suffering alone,  than have you hurt.”

 

“Yet I’m still hurt.” Taehyung leans back in his seat. “I don’t even know if I want him back again… I’m scared of taking him back, because he might leave again. What then? I thought we would be fine, because we learned from our experiences with our dads but no, we aren’t any better. We just – hurt each other. And maybe being away from each other for such a long time taught us nothing…”

 

“No, it taught you something, Tae…” Jin moves towards Taehyung to hold his hands. “It taught you how to let go of something you really want so badly. It taught you that if it comes back to you, it’s yours forever… and if it doesn’t, it wasn’t yours to begin with. I know it's cliché, but it's true.” He grips Taehyung’s hands and smiles at him fondly. “All I’m saying is, Jungkook is here again. He’s back and he stepped forward to acknowledge his mistakes and is terribly sorry for it. I know it isn’t easy for you Tae and I’m not asking you to take him back immediately, heck, give him hell if you must but… hear him out okay? Give him a chance. You know what not listening did to you and Jungkook before, Tae. You know what it did to your dads too… so be different. Don’t do make the same mistake others have.” Jin caresses Taehyung’s cheek and the younger leans in to the touch, which tells him that Taehyung has wanted to be touched. To be comforted and told that everything will be okay. “It’s okay to take your time in taking him back Tae, there’s nothing wrong with that, you are hurt. You are okay, Tae… and Kookie is not going anywhere anymore.”

 

“There’s nothing to sugar-coat. I know Jungkook messed up, big time, and the decision is yours to make. If you think that having him back will only hurt you again, then don’t take him back. Let him realize what he's lost and maybe that will teach him a lesson for the future. Maybe it will make him be the better person he's always wanted to be.”

 

As if on cue, Jin’s phone rings and before they both know, Yeonjun is running for it so he can hand it to Jin. The older thanks the sweet kid for handing him his phone and ask him to go back in whatever it is he was doing and dinner will be served soon.

 

“Namjoon? What’s – WHAT? Okay, I’ll be down soon. Calm down.”

 

Taehyung watches the elder turn off the stove and take off his apron. “Tae, I need to go. Your food is okay now so eat with Yeonjun. I’ll get –“

 

“What’s happening hyung?” Taehyung didn’t like how his heart beats so fast inside him.

 

“Well… Jungkook is stupid right?”

 

“What do you mean?” he hurries.

 

“He was just in a car accident and –“

 

“WHAT?”

 

“Yes and looks like he was on his way here when it happened. If you want to come, let’s go. I will not let you drive there on your own. Yeonjun-ah, dear I know you’re hungry but we have to go.”

 

Jin grabs the child’s coat and bag before urgently moving to the door, but Taehyung doesn’t follow him.

 

He's standing, frozen, not sure what to do next.

 

“Hyung… I – I don’t want to go.”

 

“Tae…”

 

--

 

Taehyung knows the cars parked in the hospital’s car park belong to the Jeons. He recognizes Yoongi’s car, Jongwan’s and the car next to it is probably what brought the grandparents to the hospital.

 

Taehyung is trembling, if not for Jin and Yeonjun holding both his hands, he would’ve collapsed before they could even exit the apartment.

 

Taehyung sees Somi’s car coming in to the car park as well and soon the girl is running her way towards them as they’re making their way to the hospital helpdesk.

 

“Jeon Jungkook?”

 

He hears Namjoon asking and they are directed to room 604, one of the private VIP rooms.

 

They take the elevator and Taehyung starts shaking again.

 

This is unfair. Why does destiny works like this when he’s on his way to giving Jungkook a hard time in taking him back?

 

Why does it work like this?

 

The elevator dings open and they are all rushing their way to the room.

 

“H-Hyung… I don’t want to go inside.” He says to Jin, but before the other can respond, Somi opens the door and what greets them almost makes Taehyung regret coming.

--

A/N: I got nothing left to say except, I'm ready to read your comments on this one.