002: Retrouvaille

OUR PREDESTINED END

Okay woah, the amount of hate directed at Jungkook really is massive even after I told you guys not to judge just yet since we barely even started this story. But anyway, I expected it, I guess? After all, Kook really is selfish and - what other names you have for him? LOL.

So, give Jungkook your best shot in this new chapter because I doubt you'll hate him less here. ENJOY!

--

Perhaps their worst enemy is their memories.

--

Taehyung hardly registers all the well wishes he receives because there is this looming presence that is practically suffocating him. He wants to escape, run away to his apartment. He can see through his peripheral vision how close that girl is to Jungkook and the older Jeons are paying so much attention to her, going around the hall introducing her to their employees. It’s enough to make him feel worthless, devastated. He’s not sure what else there could be that can destroy him.

He smiling at everyone who meets his gaze, but his eyes are automatically drawn to Jungkook and he wants to cry. He knows this party is also to celebrate his promotion, but he needs to do what’s best for him right now and that means there is no way he is staying.

He empties the contents of his glass in one gulp and marches toward the exit. His world is spinning but he feels too broken to care.

As he nears the doors, Jongwan suddenly calls out to him and he almost hates him in that moment. He can feel Jungkook’s eyes on him and as he slowly turns around their eyes lock.

He walks toward the group because despite the way he is feeling, he does not want to seem rude.

"You called me?" He asks Jongwan. He can feel Jungkook beside him, but he acts like he doesn’t care.

"I would like you to meet Kim Saeron, Taehyung. A new addition to your team."

Great, Taehyung thinks. The last person he wanted to meet tonight is right here, smiling at him like she done nothing wrong in her life.

"She's an exceptional talent. She submitted her profile and portfolios through email, but I asked her to print it out and hand it over to you and the team tomorrow at work. It's her first day and -"

Taehyung sighs and everyone goes quiet. He turns back to Jongwan. "I'm... actually really too exhausted to discuss this right now. It's a party and people should enjoy it while it lasts, because tomorrow they will have to catch up on all the work they missed in order to prepare for this function. I need energy for that.” He faces Saeron again although this time he does not quite manage to keep his poker face in place as he notices where her arms are. "Do you mind?"

Jimin wants to snort because of the double meaning in his best friend’s words, but the poor girl doesn’t have a clue for she nods and pulls away from Jungkook to extend her arm and shake hands with Taehyung.

"Sure, Taehyung-ssi. I've heard a lot about you and have seen your work through Kookie."

His friends can see by the sudden intake of air and the furrowing of his brow is a sign that Taehyung has reached his limit.

She called him Kookie and that's the last straw.

Jungkook also sees is and puts an arm around Saeron’s waist, gently pulling her close again. This action makes the girl turn to him in confusion.

"What?" She asks. "Jungkook, I'm talking to my future boss. What the heck do you want right now?" She hisses at him and Taehyung swears he never wants to see Jungkook looking at Saeron so carefully, so he makes to leave.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Taehyung suddenly speaks up. "I would like to see your profile and portfolio on my desk by lunch."

"Ah, yeah sure. Um... Okay. I got it."

Taehyung just nods before turning to Jungkook's grandparents.

"I'll come by tomorrow, Grandpa. Grandma. It's just so nice to see you both healthy."

Sejin frees himself from Jongwan's hold, which surprised the other. He can see how Taehyung is holding back his tears and as his father, it breaks his heart.

"Taehyung -"

"I'll get going -"

"Is everything okay, Tae?" Sejin asks as he nears his son. "Would you like me to take you home?"

"No dad. What are you saying? Jongwan-ssi needs you here and -"

"It's okay. I can ask someone to take you back home, Taehyung." Jongwan clarifies as he signals someone from the corner of the room.

"Jongwan-ssi. You really don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine and -"

"I'll take him back."

 

--

Jungkook is not sure why he said it, but as he noticed Taehyung's trembling hands, he knew the elder is not okay.

"Can you ask someone to bring my car around, dad?"

"Of course."

"On second thought, I think dad will take me home." Taehyung speaks and Jungkook halts right beside him. "Do not bother yourself with me. Dad will take me back."

"Oh, then I'll ask someone to bring you both back –"

"I already said I'll take him back. Ask someone to bring my car around."

"And I already said my father will take me home. Didn't you hear that?!"

Jungkook's dark eyes are on him and Taehyung knows he has to look away, but he can’t. He’s afraid to be alone with Jungkook, because what if he says, ‘hey, so Saeron is my girlfriend and I met her in Canada and we hit if off right away’, and he cannot even imagine ever hearing that from Jungkook.

Their faces are so close to each other that they can feel their breaths on each other’s faces. Taehyung looks away first. He's not doing this with Jungkook right now.

"I'll be in the lobby. Come find me, Dad."

Taehyung swears he hears Jungkook ask someone to follow him because he's drunk, and that someone, is Jimin and Yoongi.

Watching Taehyung's back, Jungkook knows something is not right.

Those are tears in the other's eyes... But why?

Why is Taehyung crying? Shouldn't he be the one crying?

Taehyung moved on right?

He thinks, because he’s really confused. Minjae was behind Taehyung as he arrived earlier in the evening and that's the thing he didn't want to witness with his own eyes.

Why is Taehyung looking so broken as he walks away?

That was jealousy when Saeron called him Kookie. He swore Taehyung would tell the girl off, but Taehyung knows how to handle his own emotions so he wouldn't dare... again, why?

 

It took him years to get himself ready to see Taehyung happy even without him...  Why is he looking at the exact opposite?

"You ed up." Saeron says beside him and he knows he did... "I think you misunderstood something, Jeon."

Did he? Did he misunderstand?

 

"Hey Kookie, Minjae is back in the company. He's working under Namjoon-hyung..."

"Hey Kookie, today Minjae and I went out for lunch. We're okay now! He apologised for all the trouble he had caused us in the past and I forgave him..."

"Kookie, Minjae and I went out with the hyungs. They're okay with him now... I mean there were some snarky remarks from Chim every now and then but they're good."

"Minjae and I are friends again. I mean, we were friends before we started dating, so I don't think there's something wrong with that now, right?"

"Kook, I'm going to the bar with the hyungs... I promise I won't get drunk. By the way, Minjae is coming with us and -"

"I forgot how fun it is hanging out with Minjae, but I was reminded of it today and I'm glad I gave him a chance, Kookie..."

 

He's supposed to be happier with Minjae... or at least that's what he referred to with all those calls five years ago... Right?

It was exactly why he stopped calling Taehyung.

Enthought he's prepared to see Taehyung again, he's not prepared to see him happier with someone else, and Saeron told him before...

"If you think you're holding him back from being happy, let him go."

That's exactly what he did, so why doesn't he look happy?

 

--

 

Jimin carefully walks towards Taehyung, who is seated on one of the sofas in the JGC lobby waiting area, his face buried in his hands. His best friend looks devastated and broken. He knows he’s one of those responsible. He won’t try to shake the blame by thinking up some lame excuse for what did.

It hurts. He expected Taehyung to be happy knowing Jungkook is coming back, and on the day of his well-deserved promotion. Instead, he’s going home with a broken heart.

“Tae…” he calls, and he can see Taehyung wiping away his tears on his face. “Yoongi and I can take you home… I mean, only if you want us to… I know – “

“I don’t want any of you to take me back and please leave me alone.”

“Taehyung – “

“No, Yoongi please… we know what we did. We are also to blame for what is happening now. Taehyung being harsh with me now is understandable.” Jimin smiles, assuring his boyfriend that it’s okay, then turns back to his best friend. “At least let us wait with you here until your dad or one of the guards comes to take you home, okay? I still want you safe, Tae.”

Taehyung doesn’t say anything, so Jimin takes it as permission to stay.

Yoongi sighs and crouches on the ground to meet Taehyung’s gaze. It surprises Taehyung, but Yoongi wants to look at Taehyung’s face.

“Listen Tae… I know you wouldn’t want any of us near you right now, but I need you to know that nothing is certain with regard to Jungkook and Saeron, okay? We are the ones who assumed that they may be together. Jungkook never spoke to us about it, he never confirmed it… true, when Jungkook introduced her to me, I was surprised since Jungkook never get close with anyone and it was around the time he cut all communication with you… Even though I must have asked him a thousand times, he never told me or any of us why he did that. Jungkook called her his friend and they’re close. She’s the daughter of a family friend. She lived in England and our grandparents asked Jungkook to meet her, that’s how they became friends. I – I don’t even know why I’m telling you all of this but –“

“That doesn’t change anything, hyung.” Taehyung sobs and Jimin thinks he can hear his heart breaking for his best friend. “You just gave me more questions than answers… because now you said he introduced Saeron to you around the time he stopped calling me, what do you want me to think after hearing that?”

“Taehyung – “

“You know what, drop this, okay? I – I can’t hear any more about this matter.”

“Taehyung-ssi… sorry to interrupt but – “

“Please take me home, Donghyun-ssi.” Taehyung doesn’t even give them one last glance before he walks away.

Donghyun opens the car door for him and immediately upon taking his seat, Taehyung closes his eyes. Getting inside the car, Taehyung immediately closes his eyes in exhaustion. The day’s events have taken it out of him.

“Where should I take you, Taehyung?”

Taehyung doesn’t want to answer, but he knows he has to. “Can you take me back to Kookie’s home in Hannam Hill?”

Donghyun clears his throat before answering. “Jungkook is staying there, Taehyung-ssi.”

Taehyung’s eyes open wide and he looks at Donghyun through the rear-view mirror.

“Yes, he went there straight from the airport.”

“Why isn’t he back in the mansion? His grandparents are there right? Or does he know my dad stays there permanently with his father?” he hopes that isn’t the case. He doesn’t want the past to be an addition to their current issues.

“Yes, he does know but no, that isn’t the reason why he decided to stay in his home, Taehyung, at least I know that for sure.” Donghyun starts driving as he speaks. “I think he just really wants to stay in his own place.”

“It will take him a lot of time to reach office from there though… isn’t he back at work tomorrow?”

“From what I’ve heard, he’ll be back to work next week and will only be visiting JGC a few times this week. He’s still not the CEO, Taehyung.”

“I am very well informed, but – that still doesn’t answer why he chose to stay there when he has his own penthouse here in Seoul. Why does he have to go back to his home in Hannam Hill?”

“Miss Saeron is occupying the penthouse.”

And Taehyung finally lost it.

Noticing his silence, Donghyun lets out a sigh as he looks straight to the road. “Does that mean I’ll take you back to your apartment?”

 

--

 

“Hey Kook?”

“Yeah?”

“I think you really need to talk to Taehyung-ssi.”

Jungkook steps on the break right on time when the lights turn red. “I have this feeling that you misunderstood something…”

“And what if I didn’t?”

“And what if you did?” Saeron rolls her eyes in annoyance and holds Jungkook’s hand. “Kook, you need to ask him how he’s been… surely, you can at least ask him that, right? I mean, you were friends before you guys dated – “

“I can’t go back to being friends with him, Sae. We both know how much I love him… I love him so much. Any form of rejection from him will definitely destroy me.”

“But didn’t you see how devastated he was back there? He even went home early.”

Jungkook wants to smack himself because of course he noticed that. “I don’t want to talk about this now, Sae… let’s get you back to the penthouse so you can rest. You are starting tomorrow, after all.”

“Okay, but promise me you’ll talk to him?”

“We will talk eventually.” Jungkook scoffs as he parks his car. “We’re going to be working together so of course we’ll talk.”

“You know what I mean, Kookie.”

They step into the elevator and Saeron immediately hugs Jungkook around the waist because the other usually wants to be held tightly when he’s lost in thought. Jungkook freely gave her the right to be that affectionate and she knows they’re crossing some sort of line, but for them there’s nothing wrong with how close they are.

Jungkook kisses Saeron’s forehead and hugs her back as he leans against the cold wall of the elevator.

“I know, Sae… just not now.”

 

--

 

To say the morning is gruesome, is an understatement. Taehyung steps into his new office to find Kim Saeron’s portfolio already waiting on his desk. What Jihoon tells him, makes it worse.

“She came with Jungkook-ssi this morning, Boss Tae. She said she’ll be having coffee with him at the coffee shop across the street and be before business hours.”

He wants to scream.

And maybe looking at Kim Saeron’s work just pisses him off even more. She’s excellent. She has talent and he can see some of her designs have – well, it hurts for him to admit but yes, he can see Jungkook’s influence, his touch in her pieces.

Five years of studying and reviewing Jungkook’s portfolio means that he can recognize the younger’s work even in the tiniest details, and looking at Saeron’s work, he can see it, especially on the latest ones.

He closes the portfolio and wonders how he can deal with Saeron, knowing that she could be Jungkook’s girlfriend...

There is a knock on his door and Taehyung leans back into his swivel chair. A glance at the clock tells him it’s 9am and he can guess who is behind the door.

“Come in.”

The door flies open admitting a smiling Saeron with two coffees – at least that’s what he thinks they are – in hand. “Hi, um… good morning. I believe you have already reviewed my work?”

“Yes. Please have a seat, Saeron-ssi.”

“Of course...” She occupies the sofa and Taehyung walks to where she is while buttoning his suit. “So, Kim Saeron. Tell me about yourself… I didn’t get to know much last night.”

“Um, before that… I hope you don’t mind, I got you a hot chocolate?”

“You really didn’t have to but thank you. Please put it down.” He says as he picks up Saeron’s portfolio. He might as well try to be civil around her. He doesn’t want this girl to be a victim of his pettiness. “So, tell me about yourself?”

“Oh, yeah… My name is Kim Saeron and I’ve studied interior design in England. I was seven years old when my family decided to emigrate there due to my mom’s work… but my family and the Jeons have been friends for ages.”

Saeron examines the man in front of her at the mention of that information and she has to give it to him, he knows how to keep his poker face. Taehyung kept his eyes on her work.

She decides to continue and at least clear some things away. “I am an only child – “

“Your designs…” Taehyung doesn’t want to hear any of that. “I noticed that some details are complement other details very well, I’d like to know if you’ve ever asked for advice on that.”

Saeron wants to smile because wow, this guy really has his eyes on things. “The latest work I have there was actually the final project I presented back in England… it’s a collaboration project with Jeon Jungkook so – “

Saeron stops talking once she notices Taehyung’s intense eyes on her. She also does not miss how the lead of the mechanical pencil flies across the room.

Did I say something to offend him?

Taehyung tries to remain calm but the mention of Jungkook’s name and the conformation of his earlier supposition makes something inside him snap.

“Continue what you were saying.”

“Um, sure. Jungkook-ssi worked on the architectural design and I worked on the interior design and – “

“I see.” Taehyung turns his attention back to her portfolio, so he doesn’t notice her biting her lip at her slip of the tongue. “You will be joining my team today and I think someone has already familiarized you with the environment. Do you still need me to take to your table?”

“Ah no, I already know where I’ll go… um, are we ending this here? You won’t ask me how I got here?”

“As much as I would like to ask, I have a meeting at 9:30 so I’ll just assume that since you are connected to the Jeons somehow, you got an easy pass – “

“No, I didn’t.” Saeron cuts him off before he goes any further.

 

Saeron and Taehyung look at each other. Neither wants to look away so Saeron lets out a sigh before continuing.

“I’ve been aiming for this company, Taehyung-ssi. It was a dream of mine to be a part of JGC’s Design team.”

“We share the same dream then.” Taehyung knows he’s being an but who cares really? “I’ll let Jihoon and the others take care of you for the time being. I need to run to that meeting so if you’ll excuse me.”

“Of course…”

Before Saeron can say anything more, Taehyung opens the office door for her to step out.

 “I’ll be seeing you around, Saeron-ssi.”

 

--

 

Saeron’s first day is hectic. She gets to see how amazing each member of the A-Team are and they’re all very friendly, especially Jihoon.

“Hey, Sae… um, I can call you that right? Although it could sound really confusing because everyone calls the head of this team Boss Tae.”

Saeron doesn’t bother looking at him, but she smiles at that. “Of course, Jihoonie… so what’s up?”

“Would you like to have lunch with us? We usually eat here because we have food over there in the pantry, but we sometimes eat in the company’s cafeteria or outside, when we’re not loaded with projects.”

Saeron turns to him as she takes off her eyeglasses. She’s been reviewing a lot of project designs because that’s what Yoona asked her to do. As it’s only her first day, she’d been tasked to familiarize herself with each member’s portfolio, so by the time she gets to work with any of them, she’ll know how they do their thing. The whole team also received copies of her portfolio to study in return.

“Um, sorry, Jihoonie.” She smiles apologetically towards the boy. “I’m actually going out to lunch with Kooki – oh sorry, I mean Jungkook-ssi…”

Jihoon looks at her weirdly and she smiles again. “He promised to take me out with his friends today so, some other time?”

“You mean the soon-to-be-CEO, Jungkook-ssi? As in the Jungkook we all know here? The Jungkook of our boss?”

Saeron smiles widely at that and nods. “The one and only. We’re actually – “

“Sae.”

 

--

Taehyung lets out a gasp as he steps out of his office, Jungkook is standing in the door to the department. He wasn’t ready for this kind of meeting at all.

Jungkook is frozen as he looks back at him, he wants nothing more that to be beside him. Taehyung, however, is looking at him with cold, distant eyes and he knows he can’t.

Taehyung knows what he has to do. He needs to walk past Jungkook and through that door without looking at him once. Of course, the rest of him does not follow his mind’s instructions.

“I’ll just hand this over to you after lunch, Saeron-ssi. Looks like you plans to eat out today.” And, with that he goes back into his office and closes the door as gently as he can.

--

Great, Jungkook thinks as soon as the door to Taehyung’s office closes. He was highly anticipating seeing Taehyung, but to think he’d meet him this way is unexpected.

He wants to follow him so badly but of course, he doesn’t. So, when Saeron moves toward him, he just takes her by the waist and quickly leads the way so they can meet his friends.

“You were gawking back there, dumb rabbit.”

“I know. Can you blame me though? Five years and it’s the second time I get to see him – and he has blue hair. How do you expect me to react to that? I even thought I already prepared myself to see him happier without me, but the whole colour thing is a surprise. I wasn’t ready, Sae.”

“Well your man really is insanely gorgeous, Kookie. I still wonder how you managed to snag him – “

“Well, I’m attractive enough, thank you very much.”

“I’m sure you are, uh-huh.”

“Stop these attacks, it’s still early! Anyway, how was your interview with him? I guess he was asked to do it just as a formality.”

Saeron leans against Jungkook’s arm since she can hardly reach his shoulder.

“I may or may not have made him hate me…”

“I’m sure he wouldn’t, Sae. Taehyung is the most understanding person I’ve ever met and –“

“No, I know he is just by looking at him. What I meant is, I mentioned your name and he probably recognized your work in my own. I think I saw hurt flash in his eyes… he even assumed that because our families are friends, I got an easy pass to join the team.”

Jungkook eyes Saeron leaning on the opposite side of the elevator. He’s surprised that Taehyung voiced that out loud to Saeron, because he does not remember Taehyung being that harsh, unless someone really pisses him off.

“And I can’t get mad at him because somehow, I feel like he doesn’t mean it.”

“Why?”

“He was taken aback by his own words, like he regretted saying them.”

 

Taehyung is alone in their department because everyone went out to lunch. He could have asked them to bring back some food for him, but he lost his appetite after seeing Jungkook pick Saeron up for lunch. Yeonjun will be arriving with his nanny shortly and he has to take the kid out to lunch anyway.

It used to be him that Jungkook picked up for lunch, to eat out with their friends, or to go home together. It hurts.

Is it the first thing to change between them?

Taehyung is playing with the bracelet which has not left his wrist in five years, except when he takes a bath.  He’s been asking himself what went wrong or what he had done for Jungkook not to come back to him like he expected him to. He’s just hurting himself by speculating about all the possible answers to those questions.

He slowly unlocks the bracelet and gently takes it off.

He should really find some time to give it back to Jungkook.

Keeping it now only holds him back.

He opens the drawer to his right and takes out the box where he keeps the keys to their home. The keys Jungkook asked him to keep.

He smiles bitterly at the reminder of what those keys meant to them.

He should really make plans with Jungkook to give all of these things back, he no longer sees any reason to hold on to them.

 

“Taehyungie-hyung…”

The door to his office slowly opens and Taehyung quickly wipes away his tears. Yeonjun walks in, followed by his nanny.

“Hey munchkin… how’s school?”

“Good… were you crying, Tae-hyung?”

“Nope.” He motions the kid to sit on his lap and the moment he does, Taehyung buries his nose in Yeonjun’s small neck hoping to find some comfort. “Let’s go out to have some lunch?”

The child only nods as he jumps off Taehyung’s lap. Yeonjun shrugs off his back pack and takes the leash from his nanny.

Taehyung smiles at the girl. “You can go now. I’ll take him home after work.”

The nanny nods as she smiles tenderly at Taehyung after organizing Yeonjun’s things on Taehyung’s couch.

 

--

 

“I kind of feeling guilty right now…” Jimin says, watching the bubbles in his soda. “I think we should reschedule meeting with Jungkook and Saeron, don’t you think?”

“We do want to know it first right?” Jin lets out a sigh beside him while tapping his fingers against the table top. “We want to know who Kim Saeron really is to Kookie… she was all over Jungkook last night and Jungkook never left her side.”

“Maybe they’re just really close friends? Who knows right? We will never know unless we ask them.” Hoseok says, not even covering the annoyance in his voice.

The bell chimes and everyone can feel their stomachs churning once they spot their friend and the girl they all assume to be his new-found love.

All eyes are on Jungkook as they approach the table and he pulls out the chair for Saeron. As the two approach their table and Jungkook pulls the chair for her, they were all eyes on him. They openly stare at him as he occupies his own seat and he finds himself breathing a heavy sigh as he looks up at his friends.

“Stop looking at me like that. I know you are dying to ask since last night, so ask me now before we order.”

“You know what we want to ask right? And no offense meant to this girl beside you but, who the is she to you? We never asked because every time we try and hold longer conversations with you, you’ll drop it off.”

Jungkook’s lips break into smile because he expected Jimin to have his neck as soon as he came in through the restaurant’s door and never disappoints.

“Do you even realize how hard it was to tell Taehyung about her? Jungkook –“

“What made it hard for you to tell him about her?” Jungkook asks still feeling relaxed.

Even though it’s about her, Saeron doesn’t bother looking up, simply studying the menu intently.

“You introduced her to us a at the same time you stopped calling Taehyung. What do you expect for us to think?” Jin asks as well, trying not to come across too harshly, but he can’t cover up all the pent-up frustration right now. “I mean, I’m sorry if I’m coming across as rude, but Jungkook – “

“So, you assume that Saeron is my girlfriend. Is that it?”

Jungkook brought up the burning question himself and all five of them go silent as they wait for the confirmation.

All five of them goes dead silent, waiting for the confirmation Jungkook brought up himself. They didn’t even need to try hard to get it out of him.

“Saeron is and never was my girlfriend.” Jungkook finally says after a drawn-out silence. “As you know, she is the daughter of a family friend who emigrated to England. I met her in Canada when she accompanied my grandparents for a visit. They stayed with us for a month, since there’s no one I could hang out with, and I find her cool and harmless, I hung out with her?” This time, Jungkook puts both of his arms on the table and meet his friends’ gazes. “I was never involved with anyone in Canada or in England.”

“I can attest to that.” Saeron pipes up from beside Jungkook with a warm smile, making the others look at her guiltily.

“Okay, this is just making me feel ty right now. Taehyung probably thinks you’re with her...” Yoongi starts panicking, thinking how they told Taehyung about Saeron last night.

“. Remember last night when we told him – , I can only feel sorry for what he was probably feeling last night.” Hoseok says and Jungkook looks at his best friend, confused.

“You of all people should know that I was never with her, Hoseok.” He says in a cold voice. “I can’t believe you all think like that –“

“Don’t even start with me. You never answered me when I asked you about your relationship status, and I remember acting cautious because I knew you had just decided to stop calling Taehyung for some reason, we all don’t know. I thought that maybe you did what you felt was best for you and Tae, so I just let it go. I promised I would always support you in whatever decisions you made.”

“And you are going to ask about that now I see?” Jungkook leans back in his seat, looking at his friends as if he’s amused more than upset. “I know it’s not just you who are curious as to why I stopped calling him. I bet my dad is just waiting for an appropriate time to corner me on the same issue.”

“Why did you call us all here Jungkook?” Namjoon asks, not wanting to drag out the conversation any longer.

“Well first, is this – I wanted to clear up some things because I could feel since last night that you were all dying to ask me about Sae.”

“Second? Please tell me we’re going to talk about Taehyung – “

“We are.” He tries to cut off Jimin’s outburst and the older male glares at him. “Everything I did to Taehyung for past five years – he didn’t deserve any of it.”

“He really didn’t.” Yoongi and Namjoon speak up together, in agreement with Jimin and Jungkook nods to that. He looks away, hoping they won’t see the guilt all over his face.

“At first, I counted the years I would not be in Korea with Tae… and we established that it would only take me three years before I could finally come home to him. I admit, in my head I felt pressured by the deadline, but perhaps I wanted to come back to Tae after three years max... which explains why I sped up my studies there. After I – “

“You shouldn’t be telling us all this. You should be telling Tae – “

“But I want you all to know.” Jungkook says, looking down at his own fingers. “I want you guys to know because I’m kind of expecting one of you will tell him if he decides he doesn’t want to listen to me…”

His friends keep quiet, so he starts talking again. “After I took their gap exams for me to qualify to start my third year, I know I was excited to come back. You know how much we talked during those first three months, I started helping mom at the company resulting in me calling him less after that. I knew Tae understood because he knew that part of the reason I left was to be with Mom and Junghyun. They needed me and I needed them as well. I thought if I ever wanted to come back to Tae, I should build myself up and make myself worthy enough to have him back... until he started talking about Minjae.”

Jimin and Jin are about to speak but Namjoon and Yoongi stop them. Hoseok however, has no one to stop him.

“Please tell me you’re not about to say what I think you’re about to tell us.”

Jungkook smiles. “I know about him coming back to JGC after applying for a job. My Dad gave me the heads up and I was okay with the whole idea, because Minjae deserved a second chance and we did offer him help. I didn’t see anything wrong with it. Then Taehyung started talking about how he began to hang out with him again and at first, I was okay with it. But, he wanted to give him a second chance and it messed with my head. I know it could be my head twisting Taehyung’s word... my head is a mess and now, last night... I don’t even get it. I’ve been confused since last night because of the way Taehyung acted. And I don’t know why, because he’s supposed to be happy with Minjae.”

This time Jimin jumps up from his seat and before anyone knows what is happening, a slap lands across Jungkook’s cheek.

 “You .” He says through gritted teeth and Yoongi quickly pulls his now crying boyfriend away from his cousin. “What do you mean you expected him to be happy with Minjae?!” Jimin practically screams, not bothered by the attention from the other patrons. “He waited for you! He waited for five years without the assurance that you’ll come back, Jungkook. Five whole years. Do you even get what I’m saying, you dumb ? He waited for you patiently like how he promised. And what did you do? You stopped calling him because you think he’s happy with Minjae? I don’t know where you got that idea from and I can’t believe that this is the reason for you to stop calling him!”

“Jiminie, please calm down. Let’s sit back down and talk this out okay? I’m sure there must be a misunderstanding. Jimin, look at Jungkook.” Jin pleas and Jimin stops and stares at Jungkook, who still has his face turned to the left due to the slap Jimin landed on his right cheek. “He looks lost, Jiminie… please let us sit back down and listen okay?”

“Kookie…” Saeron who is seated on Jungkook’s left touches her best friend’s cheeks with both hands. “Jungkook? Hey, are you –“

“He didn’t get back together with Minjae while I was gone?”

“Holy , what did you just say?!” Hoseok exclaims but Yoongi beats him to it.

“How can you even think that they’ll get back together just because you left?! Have you forgotten how desperate Taehyung was when you left? He didn’t want you to leave but because you asked him to let you go, he let you go and now you’re thinking he’s back with Minjae after all the promises he made?” Jungkook looks at Yoongi with wide eyes. “Because I’m pretty sure he made promises to you, Jungkook. Even if you didn’t want him to, he promised to wait for you. And that’s what he did and is still doing.  Except, now he thinks you’re with this girl because you came back with her at your side and because we also thought you’re with her even when Taehyung worked hard to be worthy enough to be able to stand beside you when you come back.”

“He worked so hard, Kook.” Namjoon takes over. “Because before you even asked all of us to stop talking about you with him, he knew you were doing well and exceling, and he wanted to improve himself as well.”

“But his words… I’m pretty sure Taehyung talked about giving Minjae a chance and once I heard them, I stopped calling so I could stop hearing him say it and – “

“Yes, he did give him a chance.” Jimin speaks up again, weakly this time because he can’t believe the worst could happen and happened in this way. “He gave him a chance as his friend, Jungkook. They were once friends before they started dating after all. And Minjae proved that that’s all he wants with Tae and he proved himself worthy of that chance. He knows where he stands with Taehyung because Taehyung made sure he knew. All the times Tae gets hit on, he’s always telling them off. God, he does not even hang out with us anymore when we decide to go out at night because he doesn’t want to get drunk or anything without your supervision. He always remembers how you told him you worry so much for him when he gets drunk.”

Jimin exhales before continuing, but this time he looks up to Jungkook only to find the younger already crying, tears escaping his beautiful expressive eyes.

“He surrounds himself with your name Jungkook. He knows how you don’t like it when someone gets too close to him. He remembers, even though you were together only a short time. It’s enough for him to stay faithful. I know it’s his choice, you didn’t ask it of him, but he’s your Taehyung... he will always be your Taehyung.”

--

“I hope you aren’t feeding Yeonjun any food from that fast-food chain, Tae-oppa.”

He snorts as he fastens the seatbelt on Yeonjun’s car chair while he happens to be eating the waffle fries from Chick-fil-a and is looking at him with those big innocent eyes.

“I will try to lessen his fast food intake don’t worry, Somi. Just hurry up and finish your final research paper, okay?

There is silence from the other end of the line, making Taehyung think that she hung up, but then she speaks just as he’s about to end the call.

“As much as I want Yeonjun to stay at the mansion with my grandparents, your dad and Uncle Jongwan, I don’t think Yeonjun is comfortable staying there without me… I’m so sorry for asking you this favor again, oppa.”

“Somi, you don’t have to apologize. We’re a family and we should ask each other for help whenever we need it. Don’t worry about your son and just nail that final paper, okay?”

“Okay. Have you seen Jungkook-oppa since last night’s party?”

“Why are you suddenly asking?”

“Because I haven’t seen him. He wasn’t with our grandparents when they arrived at the mansion and I heard he wasn’t staying at the penthouse either.”

“That’s because he’s back in his home in Hannam Hill and the one occupying his penthouse is Saeron-ssi, the girl he arrived with.”

“Oh, I heard she was with them. I guess I’ll come see her some other time – anyway, so you’ve met her?”

At this point, Taehyung really wants to hang up on Somi, but that would be rude, so he shrugs it off and carefully watches the road before him.

“I met her… and she’s really pretty. No wonder your cousin fell for her.”

He hears Somi snort and there’s a door being closed on her side, probably her car door. “Oh please, oppa. You can’t possibly be thinking they’re together now, right? Because I’m telling you, they aren’t anything of the sort.”

Taehyung perks up at that and thank God for the red light so he can focus on talking with Somi.

“What do you mean? That girl was all-over Jungkook last night. How could they not be together? And you might be forgetting, your cousin stopped calling me after nine months.”

“Oppa, they’re just good friends. I heard they met in Canada when Saeron went to visit with my grandparents and – “

“And that’s when Jungkook stopped calling me, Somi.” He points out.

“But that doesn’t mean she’s the very reason, oppa. I may not have been there but I’m sure Saeron isn’t the reason why he stopped calling… it must be something more personal on his part.”

Taehyung wants to believe that. Part of him really wants to believe that, otherwise how can he start winning Jungkook back when he’s involved with someone else now?

“Anyway, I have to go. Call me whenever Yeonjun makes trouble, oppa.”

“Yeah, sure. Good luck with your final paper, Somi.”

When the call disconnects, he looks at Yeonjun who is now looking at him with those doe eyes similar to the ones he’s grown to love so much. The eyes he still wishes to be only looking at him.

 “You know, if I didn’t know you are Somi’s, I would assume you are Kookie’s child. You look so much like him.” He ruffles the kid’s hair playfully. “I love you kid…”

“I love Taetae-hyung too…” Yeonjun says with a smile.

 

--

 

Jungkook is sure Taehyung designed his own office in JGC for the place speaks so much of him and comfort. The color theme is a combination of black, white and purple and it all comes together so well.

The coffee table is placed on a black and white carpet and so it the executive table. The sofa is white with purple and black embroidered throw pillows spelling out the owner’s name: T-A-E-H-Y-U-N-G. The pillows on the two single chairs are simply embroidered with the letter “V”.

The executive table is oval shaped, purple in colour with a white edge. There is nothing on it aside from Taehyung’s MacBook, some pencil holders and two picture frames. The drawers are a separate unit placed to the right of Taehyung’s high back swivel chair. The top drawer is open and draws Jungkook’s attention, the only thing in it is a small wooden box with a beautiful pyrographed moon design on the lid and Taehyung’s name in the lower right corner.

As he picks up the box, he notices the pictures in the frames and almost cries again. One photograph is of Taehyung with Yeontan. Wow he misses the dog and wonders how she is. The other photo is his university graduation picture. He’s not sure how Taehyung got hold of it, but he suspects his mother sent it to him.

The bouquet of flowers… did Taehyung send him those? Was Taehyung the one who sent it to him?

He remembers how his mother told him that Taehyung had sent him a something. He received many well wishes and gifts from friends and family from around the world, but he does not recall ever reading anything with Taehyung’s name.

His mother gave him a bouquet of flowers and it came with a letter, but it never occurred to him that it might have been from Taehyung.

 

At a dusky park
A nameless bird that sings
Where are you
Oh you
Why are you crying
You and I are the only ones here
Me and you
Oh you

Following into the deep night

The sound of you singing

Brings the red morning

A step, and another step

The dawn passes

And when that moon falls asleep

The blue shade that stayed with me disappears

(A/N: Yes, this is 4 o’clock)

 

His mother told him that the bouquet wasn’t from her, but it came together with the gifts coming from Korea. He almost called his Dad to thank him for the bouquet, but Jongwan arrived in Canada the day after his graduation, and personally handed over all the gifts from himself. His father did not send the flowers..

His friends gave him things that he can use during his stay in England so who gave him the flowers?

He suddenly remembers the sound of his mother. “Take a picture with the bouquet of flowers. I’d love to have it hang around the house.”

He did, but Misun never hung the picture anywhere in the house. Now here it is on Taehyungs table. That means the flowers came from Tae and he finds himself smiling at the idea.

Clutching the box, he turns around to find room dividers attached to the wall. Certificates of recognition and awards are placed on it together with pictures of Taehyung’s parents and Taeyeon, pictures of their friends, Taehyung and Jimin, as well as some books. Two or three books must’ve come from Jungkook’s library back in Hannam Hill or his penthouse, because he remembers them. Taehyung’s sketch books are arranged in it as well. What draws his attention though, is the picture frame that seems to have what looks like a poem.

It’s entitled: 4 o’clock. (A/N: I told you it’s 4 o’clock.)

He nearly looked away but noticed Taehyung and Namjoon’s names right below the title.

V & RM.

What really catches his entire attention is the first verse and the pre-chorus, making him realize it’s actually a song. The combination of which are the words that were written in the card that came with the bouquet of flowers he received on his graduation day in Canada.

It really was from Taehyung.

 

--

 

Taehyung enters their office confused as to why he’s looking at his team, looking into his office. He peeks from behind them but does not get to see anything because Jihoon shrieks as he asks what they are looking at.

His entire team faces him and some scurry back to work. He notices Saeron is smiling as she herself slowly goes back to her table.

Jihoon though, remains standing before him so he asks him directly what they were doing.

“Well… you have a visitor.”

Taehyung finds that weird because he wasn’t informed that he had any meetings or appointments after 1pm.

“Who came and why wasn’t I informed about it?”

“Ah, no hyung. It’s not a client.”

“Then why else are they inside my office?”

“Jihoon-hyungie is weird…” Yeonjun speaks beside him while his ice cream and Taehyung laughs at that. This kid really is cute.

“Isn’t he, baby? Let’s get inside and meet this person, who graces my office unannounced, shall we?”

As soon as he stepped inside though, he wants to run back out again.

“What are you doing here, Jungkook?”

--​​​​​​​