First Week at Work

Not a Scam
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jo Yuri woke up early, at 5 o'clock in the morning, looking around she noticed two empty beds and one of her roommates going out of the bathroom.

"Good morning, Nako." She smiled at Nako who was drying her hair.

"Morning and good luck today." Nako looked at Yuri in a teasing manner.

Yuri sighed, her new job starts today: Pretending to be Yena's new girlfriend.

"Don't remind me. I got an advance payment for the whole month last night and yet I feel like running away already." She went to get a new set of clothes from her closet and then to the bathroom.

"You can't run away. You contracted with THAT Choi Yena. She's rich and you're just a country bumpkin." Nako then changed to her uniform.

"UGH! I'm such an idiot!" Yuri shouted before closing the door.

"Just think of her as your actual girlfriend while in front of them. And then as your employer when you're alone with her. It would be easy, I swear." Nako answered grinning evilly.

She then smiled kindly at the closed door. 'Maybe you could teach her how to be more understanding of other people, Yuri-chan.'

"If it was only that easy, I would! But the contract says, "Don't get attached"! And it would be a breach if I actually fell for her!" Yuri retorted inside the bathroom.

"Oh, so you think you'll fall for her?"

"Huh? Why would I fall for a duck-face? Yujin-ssi is obviously better than her in any way."

"Let's see about that then."

 

***

 

Business Calculus is Yuri's first class, back in High School it was her weak subject but the current one was easier. Sitting on the swivel chair inside the podium, she was waiting for the professor arrive.

"Yuri~"

 

She heard someone call her, when she turned around, she felt a finger poke her cheek.

"Ah. Hyewon!" Yuri pulled Hyewon to the swivel chair beside hers.

"Oww!" Hyewon winced in pain when her feet bumped to the nearby chairs.

"Sorry!" Yuri held Hyewon's right hand between both of hers.

Hyewon somehow felt her heart race.

"Uhh… No, it's alright." She smiled at Yuri.

Kang Hyewon, 19 years old as well, she likes 2 things: Food and Anime. She has been Yuri's classmate ever since Senior High School. Yuri had heard rumors that Hyewon came from an apparently rich family but had to disguise it by enrolling in a normal school, giving her an experience of the 'normal' world but disregarded the rumors the girl seemed really knowledgeable about a lot of things. After graduating, Yuri decided to take Accounting as her Major and for some unknown reason, Hyewon did as well. They've been quite inseparable ever since.

"Where did you stay last night? Nako and I were the only ones in the room." Yuri pouted.

"Ah, I was doing some requirements in a minor subject with my groupmates." Hyewon took out her notes to review the lessons while waiting for the Professor.

"I see. Nice to hear that you're getting along with other students."

Just then the professor arrived and the class started.

***

Unluckily for students, lunch time was fixed so they have to fight for seats as well as food. Yuri walked to the Cafeteria with her almost talking pair of shoes when she heard a familiar voice.

"Yuri!"

She turned around to see Yena. A strong feel of running away overwhelmed her, but remembering that the girl had paid for her tuition, she then smiled.

"Yes, Yena?"

The mentioned girl looked at Yuri from head to toe and then smiled.

"I'm going to introduce you to my friends. Come with me." She then held Yuri's left hand and walked towards her friends.

'What's with her? Yesterday, she was frighteningly mad. Now, she's smiling?' Yuri was weirded out but couldn't do anything.

"Guys, this is my new girlfriend. She is Jo Yuri from the Department of Accountancy. We just became official yesterday. I hope you guys get along with her."

"Oh, so you’re finally introducing her? And just yesterday, both of you were hitting it off in your unit." Yujin then chuckled.

"Eh? You already met her, Yujin?" A girl sporting a bobcut hairstyle then pulled Yuri towards their seats. Yuri is now seated beside the girl who pulled her and her 'girlfriend'. "I'm Sakura. Do you play games?" She enthusiastically asked.

"Uhm… I don't. I'm sorry." Yuri smiled meekly then fixed her glasses.

"Sakura, cut it out. She's an Accountancy student. They have no time to spare to go playing games." A girl with a dyed reddish-orange hair retorted.

"Chaewon, we're Computer Science majors. What makes you think we have time to play games?" A black-haired girl rested her head on Chaewon’s shoulder.

"Chaewon, Minju, we could always mix business with pleasure."

"That sounded so wrong, Sakura." Minju covered her face with her right palm upon hearing Sakura's last sentence.

Yena's group of friends consisted basically of a group of Computer Science Majors who became friends because they're in the same block with the exception of Yujin and Sakura. Yena, Chaewon, and Minju were all in the 2nd year and were usually in the same group assignments.

Kim Chaewon, 20 years old, is the daughter of the owner of Kim Jewellers, a jewelry giant. Kim Minju, 19 years old, on the other hand came from a normal family but worked as a part-time model. For their friends outside their block, Miyawaki Sakura is an irregular 3rd year student who took the General course initially and decided to go for Computer Science on the second semester of her first year. Her family, according to her, was fairly normal, if you disregard the fact that they had enough money to allow Sakura to study in Korea without passing any tests even though Sakura herself was intelligent. She's also a gamer who used her love for gaming to make money on the side using her Youtube Gaming Channel. And last but not the least, Ahn Yujin, she came from a rich family whose business mainly dwells with Technology, selling high-end computers and smartphones.

Yuri wasn't new to this kind of setup, her own group was similar to Yena's, and she thinks she is the only person in the group who wasn't raised in a well-off family. Honda Hitomi, got into her program via a special Overseas Exchange Program in her school in Tokyo, Japan. Yabuki Nako, is a renowned child genius from Japan who chose to pursue Computer Science in South Korea. Her family is composed of her mother, a popular actress, and her father, a popular author locally and internationally. Kang Hyewon and Jang Wonyoung had been the subject of many rumors.

"Yuri, you're not eating with us?" asked Hitomi, she tilted her head slightly, trying to pull Yuri into their side with her cuteness.

"Guess she's hanging out with her girlfriend." Nako sighed and patted Hitomi's back. "It's okay. I'll never exchange you guys for my girlfriend."

"YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND!?" The rest of the group shouted startled.

Nako then looked at them as if she said something so normal.

"Yeah. Well, enough of me." She then looked at Yuri. "If you don't mind, introduce us to your girl's group as well. That's the least you can do."

"I just met them myself." She then looked at Yena. "You don't mind, right?" her smile was awkward since this was the first time she was going to act like a fake girlfriend.

Yena then glared at her.

"What do you mean by that? Of course I don't! I should know who your friends are."

Their friends then introduced themselves to each other. Yuri thought Yena's friends were all there until an older student confidently walked to their table.

"Oh, it seems we have a party here. Why wasn't I invited?"

"Ah, Eunbi-unnie. You finally arrived. We have news for you!" Sakura said playfully.

"Hmm? What news?" Eunbi answered as she took the seat between Yena and Chaewon naturally.

Sakura then motioned her hand to introduce Yuri.

"Meet Yena's new girlfriend."

Eunbi then looked at Yuri; she’s the Student Council President and despite being busy she is active on events and is always present on Clearance Signings. She has been the President since her Second Year and had been reelected due to her outstanding leadership.

"Ah, one of the scholars from the Accountancy Department?" She pointed at Yuri.

"Ah, good thing you still remember me, Kwon-sunbaenim." Yuri smiled innocently at her.

"Oh please, Eunbi is fine. So how has Yena been treating you? She's quite insensitive most of the time but she's cute when she doesn't know what to do. I hope both of you would be happy with each other for a long time." Eunbi smiled happily for the both of them. She then clasped her left hand to Chaewon's right hand. "I'm happy with Chaewon here." Added while looked lovingly at Chaewon.

Chaewon smiled back at her.

Yena and Yuri's hands were still intertwined and could feel Yena's grip tightening. 'Ouch! This girl is too obvious! And I can't act properly!' She then remembered Nako's suggestion. 'Guess I'll try it.' Yuri's right hand then touched Yena's tightening grip. Yena only looked at her and Yuri smiled in return. She then looked at Eunbi.

"Yena might not be perfect but I love her for everything that she is. She might be insensitive but I'm willing to adjust." Her smile illuminated the table where they were seated as she looked at Yena. "Just like normal Accountants do."

Yena was shocked with her words. 'She's good!' She thought.

"Stop saying those words, Yuri. It's making me embarrassed." Yena then kissed Yuri's left cheek and whispered before pulling away "I'm only doing this one time."

Yuri felt her cheeks blushing.

The table was filled with the heart-struck sounds of "Aww~ How cute!" but only 4 of them knew what was really happening.

'Whoa. She has good lip service. Yena should give her some performance bonus.' A playful smile appeared on Yujin's lips.

'Guess she enrolled in Acting 101 too. Or maybe she took my advice? Well, let's see how this play goes.' Nako thought as she displayed her usual smug face.

The group then ate their lunch while chatting until the bell rung.

"Nice meeting you all. Well, we have to go--" As Yuri was going to walk away with Hyewon from the group, her shoes gave up on her and were now unusable. "Aww, my shoes just fully deprecia--"

Hyewon then butted in.

"She meant broke."

Yena then asked Yuri to sit down on the chair and opened her backpack to reveal a pair of shoes.

"I noticed your shoes yesterday so I bought you a new pair." She then looked at Yuri. "Seriously, be careful. You'll make me worried, Yuri." She smiled at her and then hid Yuri's old pair in her bag.

Yuri slowly felt her heart beat fast. Yena's smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter