A Duck's Struggles

Not a Scam
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri opened the door to their dormitory. Still angry she ran to her desk and wrote a letter. This got the attention of both roommates; Hyewon, who was merrily tapping the calculator using one hand, and Nako, who was physically abusing the keyboard as she made the codes for one of the final projects for the first semester. Yuri wept silently. She was trying not to distract her roommates but it wasn't really working.

 

Nako sneaked behind her and saw that she was writing a letter to drop out of her course. Nako then rushed outside the room, dialed Yujin's number and after a few beeps, the phone was answered.

 

"I'm busy with homework... What do you want, sunbae?" Yujin on the other side of the line was wearing her transparent square-frame glasses.

 

"What did your feathered friend do to my cute puppy!?" Nako was trying to control her voice but too shocked and worried that she couldn’t.

 

"Huh? Yena-sunbae?" Yujin went out of the room which turned out to be a guest room in Yena's house only to find Yena frozen and speechless. Yujin sighed, "Yeap. She did something. She's currently overheating here as we speak."

 

"Overheating!? What do you mean!?"

 

"Yena.exe just stopped working. I'll try sorting things out. I'll call you later."

 

"You make sure you do! Good lord, I thought she'd be safe in your friend's hands but it seems I was wrong. Do something about her." Nako then hung up. 'Now what to do? Ah cheese on crust. What should I do? Is there anything in the books about this one? Ah fudge, humans don't react like computers, ahhhhhhhhhhh…!' Nako didn’t know what to do. She then went inside to see Hyewon trying to stop Yuri.

 

"Are you sure you want to do that, Yuri? I can pay it for you." Hyewon felt uneasy.

 

"I… I can't take your money, Hyewonie." Yuri wiped her tears. "I don't really think I could finish the course… I should just go back and study somewhere in Busan. That way, I won't cause more trouble to my family…"

 

"But…” A bittersweet smile appeared on Hyewon's lips. “If that's your decision, I'll stand with you.” Hyewon then hugged Yuri. "You should go to sleep. I'm sure it'll all feel better tomorrow."

 

"Thank you, Hyewonie…" Yuri cried on Hyewon's chest.

 

'I sure do hope tomorrow would be fine, Yuri.' Hyewon gently caressed the back of Yuri's head.

 

***

 

Yujin glared at Yena as she was trying to process everything that happened.

 

“Okay.” Yujin then breathed heavily and exhaled. "What did you do wrong this time?"

 

"I… I don't know." Yena was trying to think of anything. All she knows is that she just offered to pay the fees, things escalated, and now Yuri’s going to withdraw from her course.

 

Yujin rolled her eyes. "Tell me what happened. No hiding anything. SPILL EVERYTHING."

 

Several minutes later, Yena finished telling what happened and it made her facepalm.

 

"You insensitive moron! Even I would slap you after that!" Yujin then closed her eyes to try thinking of anything.

 

"I don’t get it…" Yena pouted, "Was it that bad? I paid her, y'know?"

 

Yujin massaged the bridge of her nose, then remembered about Yena's family. 'I see. She wouldn't understand because they never cared about her.' Yujin sighed. "I kind of know both sides already. I know you didn't mean it."

 

Yena was dumbfounded with Yujin's words. "What? I don't follow, I'm sorry…"

 

Yujin sighed. "No one would just allow you to insult their family, Yena. Especially if they're a close one. That's why she ran out."

 

"But--"

 

"No buts." Yujin noticed a lunch box on the table. "And oh, don't you want to taste that? Yuri-sunbae worked hard for that." She then turned around to walk back to her room. "Apologize to her as many times as you can. You're at fault and now you're destroying her future."

 

"I will, I will." She then looked at the table. "And I won't eat this. I might get poisoned." Yena pouted and crossed her arms.

 

"Sure, sure."

 

After Yujin closed the door, Yena looked at the packed lunch one more time. She gulped. 'That Yujin. She is really good at piquing my interest.' She then opened the lid.

 

'Let's do our best!' was written in hangul using dried seaweeds on top of the rice. Assorted vegetables were also on the sides and there's even chicken pops on them. Yena gulped. "That girl… Really surprises me sometimes…"

 

Unknown to her, Yujin opened the door slightly and was peeking on what she was doing.

 

Yujin sent a message to Nako. '"The duck is eating the lunch as we speak. She's a little err… What's that again? Tsun-tsun? Well, whatever. She'll apologize tomorrow."

 

***

 

A girl was typing her reaction paper about some social issue on the computer when the phone next to the keyboard vibrated. Pausing for a moment and checking the phone, a message from certain someone she hasn't spoke to for a long time now flashed on the screen. She sighed and afterwards, a dampened smile formed on her lips.

 

"Hello. It's been a while. I suppose you haven't forgotten about me?"

 

She immediately replied. "If only you'd stop flirting with girls left and right, maybe I'll remember about you."

 

The reply immediately came. "Aww, come on~ them girls are so pretty, I can't settle for one!" This made her sigh in disbelief.

 

'I guess they are. They are so pretty, you'll never notice me.' She thought while replying again.

 

"Just treat your current one right. If you manage to be loyal until the end of your stay in the University, I'll probably attend your graduation."

 

She sent the message and almost instantly, a reply came. The new reply made her frown.

 

"Why do you make it sound as if it's a requirement? Don't you remember our promise? We'll be together forever, right?"

 

"Together forever, huh?" The girl smiled once more. "If only that could happen…"

 

"I still want to get married to someone who's not a player. I'll be studying now. Talk to you tomorrow. Good night, Chaewonie."

 

After sending the message and activating the silent mode, she went back to typing.

 

Meanwhile, in a certain Condominium, a girl smiled as she read the last message.

 

"Then how about you notice me now so I'd stop playing?"

 

***

 

The next day, during lunch, Yena rushed in front of the girl that was making her feel confused.

 

"Jo Yuri, come with me. We need to talk." Yena muttered. Yuri did not even bat an eye and continued walking. "Jo Yuri! Jo Yuri!" Yena went to grab her by the arm but Hyewon went in between them and held Yena's right wrist tight.

 

"Get away from her." Hyewon's usually kind expression changed into anger. She released Yena's arm and ran to Jo Yuri's side as the two of them continued walking to their lunch.

 

"Oof. You just got Hye-blocked." A voice said. "You gotta try harder, Yena." Yujin then joined the other two girls, leaving Yena.

 

Hyewon glared at Yujin which made her slightly raise both of her hands in submission.

 

"Oh come on, I'm still Yuri's friend even though she's not friends with my other friend anymore." She patted the back of Yuri, who was obviously glaring at her as well. "Aww~ Yuri-sunbae~ we’re still friends, right~?" Yujin used her cringe-worthy aegyo skills.

 

"Fine, fine.” Yuri sighed after seeing it. “You’re Wonyoung and Hitomi’s classmate in some subjects, right?"

 

"Yeap. English and College Algebra. As if one Algebra in a semester isn't enough to kill us yet." Yujin felt down until Hyewon patted her in the back.

 

"When in doubt, use MathSolver.com." Hyewon said as Yuri nodded in agreement.

 

"I'll take that suggestion then!" Yujin said as the three of them saw the people in Yuri's old circle of friends. However, they seem to be together with another student. Blonde hair with a bit of black near the scalp, the person was familiar to all Accounting Majors in their group.

 

"Wonyoungie, why are you with the famous dancer from Org 12?" Yuri can't believe she was joining them for lunch.

 

Wonyoung then tilted her head and remembered.

 

"Ah, Chaeyeon-sunbae has always been so kind to teach us things we don't understand whenever Hiichan and I study in the library so I thought I'd ask her to join us for lunch." She smiled back at Yuri.

 

"Nice to meet you, I guess?" Chaeyeon's smile looked clumsy as she scratched the back of her neck.

 

"Nice to meet you as well, Chaeyeon-sunbaenim." Yuri smiled back at Chaeyeon.

 

"Why is she here?” Wonyoung noticed the freshman beside Yuri. “I thought we're going back to our old lunch group since you broke up with you-know-who?"

 

"Hey! Yena's not Voldemort! That's an insult to Voldemort!" Yujin hissed at her.

 

"Well, she said we're still friends so she's hanging out with us for lunch." Yuri looked at Yujin whose face was still all smiles.

 

"One mention of you-know-who and I'll turn you into a dog." Wonyoung warned.

 

. "She's already a dog, Wonyoung." Hitomi sighed.

 

"Hey!"

 

The whole group laughed as they proceeded to their lunch.

 

***

 

Eunbi was surprised to see that only 5 of them were present in their lunch table.

 

"What happened? Where are the others?"

 

"Yena's Keep a girl for more than 7 days challenge failed." Chaewon rolled her eyes.

 

"Aww, that . Hyewon-san likes anime and even plays games. We would talk about games right now if this duck was just good at keeping girls in line." Sakura glared at Yena.

 

"I know. I'm sorry for that." Yena looked down in shame.

 

"So what happened? The usual insensitive replies shooed her away?" Minju was snickering from her seat.

 

Eunbi sighed.

 

"I'll try talking to her in the MT. I heard she's planning to drop out." She looked at Yena who barely touched her food. 'I see. She might be serious about Yuri-ssi. I guess I'll try helping out this time.' "Yuri is joining us in the weekend. Make sure you take your chances by then." Eunbi started feeding Chaewon by putting several dishes near her plate.

 

"Eunbi… I can eat by myself." Chaewon pouted.

 

"But I want to feed you~" Eunbi attempted to use her cuteness on Chaewon. This made Chaewon automatically take the dishes.

 

"Thanks for the food!" Chaewon said as she gobbled them up.

 

"I wish I had someone to feed me like that~!" Sakura and Minju said in unison.

 

"Eunbi and Chaewon really be out here flexing on singles." said Sakura.

 

"Weird flex but okay." mouthed Minju.

 

Their lunch was kind of back to normal, except for Yena.

 

***

 

The next day, Yena went back to chasing Yuri to apologize to her. It was all in vain, since Hyewon kept watch and did not allow her to get

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter