Dahyun

Bubbly Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A double-update for you, folks. :) 

A 10 year-old Dahyun ran excitedly to their house. Her father's probably coming home at the moment, and she wants to be there to greet him the moment he opens the door. She was slightly dirty, having to play at the park with her childhood friend. She didn't mind though, deciding to just change quickly once she arrives at their house. The smile that was plastered in her face was wiped off, when she spotted 2 black cars in front of their small house. Her heart thumped in her chest. This doesn't happen.

 

She dashed between the cars and went to their door which was slightly open. Before she could open the door and announce her arrival, she stopped in a second when she heard a harsh voice speak. A voice full of venom and that voice spoke harsh words.

 

"I'm taking Dahyun on her father's real house. She doesn't deserve living in this crappy place. What could you possibly feed the child? Sweet potatoes?"

 

She induced that it was a woman who's in her middle age that was speaking, "Let her be with us. In return, I'll pay all of your debts and you can still see her as you wish. She will have a good life, you don't have to worry about anything."

 

She peeped on the door when she heard sniffles, obviously belonging to her mother. She saw her on their small couch, hands covering her face while she cried.  She tried to scan their living room, spotting her father a few yards away from her mother. His head down, fists clenched.

 

Dahyun tried to process what is happening, what should she do, how would she act. Those thoughts flew away when she heard her mom agreed on what the old woman said. She couldn't believe that her mother agreed, wanted to give her away to someone she doesn't know beside her own parents.

 

And what would a normal kid's going to do? She stepped backwards silently, and when she was out of earshot, she ran. She continued to run until her legs where shaking, arriving at the playground where she previously played. She sat on the swing, her hands around her legs. She sobbed, after a few minutes, she started wailing. Continued to cry till her tears were gone. Her mind drifted off, her resolve gone.

-

When she came back to their house, it was already dark. She saw her mom infront of their house, pacing back and forth, occassionally looking at their gate. Her mom's eyes were glassy when Dahyun came into view. Hugged Dahyun longer, as if implying something. Dahyun paid no attention to the clues, for she knows already. She questioned Dahyun as to why she came home late.

 

Dahyun could only reply, "I played till it was dark. I'm sorry Mom."

 

Their dinner was silent. Uncomfortable and suffocating for Dahyun. She cleared , tried to cheer up the atmosphere, "Where's Dad?"

 

She saw her mom stiffened, her hands letting go of the chopsticks that she was using. "Something wrong, Mom?"

 

Her mom shook her head, reasoning that her Dad was held back from his work. Dahyun nodded, continuing to eat. She saw how her Mom's hold in her chopsticks tightened, but she pretended she was looking in her plate. She didn't have the courage to ask what was earlier, she wanted to get angry for her mom, to force her to say something. No words came through Dahyun's mouth, though. She finished her food fast, and went to her room to prepare her shower. When she was done, she said Good night to her mom on which she only replied a smile and a kiss on her forehead. Even though Dahyun attempted to push those thoughts away, she didn't slept properly that night.
 

 

 

The week that passed was only a blur for Dahyun, a memory that was slowly disappearing in her brain. She didn't take notice how her mother's demeanour had changed, the way she acted around Dahyun. How she always reminded Dahyun that she's happ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter