Thoughts - Date

Bubbly Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If someone would tell Dahyun that she'll have friends that she has a deep connection to, she would laugh at your face and tell you that you’re wrong. But now here she is, in a friendship with eight people that she considers as her second family.

 

But can they call you a friend when they only know the bare minimum about you? 

 

Dahyun shakes her head again, trying to put a halt to whatever her conscience tells her. She hastily brings out her earphones to play music as a way to distract her mind on thinking negative things, but her defensive mechanism this time did not seem to work. She releases a loud huff, pulling out her earphones and throwing it somewhere across her room. 

 

It was a bad time that there was no school today, as it was saturday. She curses and sits up from her bed. She was too lazy to do anything today, and because of it, intrusive thoughts are running again around her brain. She wants to curse, but does not want the maids coming barging in and asking what’s wrong. Her problem, however, has been put away for a little while when she heard three consecutive knocks against her door. 

 

“Yes? Come in.” She speaks after fixing her hair. She thought it was only a maid saying that lunch is already served downstairs, but the person coming in was not Dahyun expecting to.

 

“What are you doing here?” She can’t help but ask with a venom in her voice. 

 

The person did not say anything and just went straight to take a seat on a chair before replying. “Watch your tone, Dahyun.” He fixes his tie, “I’m still your father.”

 

“A father who is afraid to stand up to grandmother that is.” Dahyun retorts back. “I thought we agreed not to see each other before I came back to Korea?”

 

Her father’s stoic expression softens a bit but Dahyun was oblivious, and the vulnerability that her father showed is non-existent once again. He removes his glasses and proceeds to wipe them as he clears his throat. “About that, the director wants you to come back to Korea at the end of your school year.”

 

It was after a few seconds before the words sank in Dahyun's mind.

 

“But I still have two years in high school? That was our deal before I agreed to the bull that she offered to me years ago.” Dahyun says harshly, harsher than she had expected to. She remembers that time when the director had let her study in a foreign country, to give her a little bit of time before she is strapped on to the path that her father had forcefully put her into.

 

 

She walked the halls with nervous strides, feeling every stare of students at the back of her head. She hears murmurs around her once again.

 

“They say she’s the daughter of Mr. Kim? The owner of Kim Industries?”

 

“He isn’t the owner, his mother is.”

 

“That’s why the teachers are giving her special treatment, eh? How embarrassing.”

 

With her trembling hands inside her pocket, she retrieves her earphones and plugs them in her ears and plays a song. The murmurs had dissipated on her mind, but she continued to look on the ground as she walked to the direction of the office. She thought she was used to this, used to the rumours that the students circulate around her. The rumours that her friends had spread when they found out who she truly was. 

 

“So much for being friends.” Dahyun mutters under her breath.

 

When she sees the sign that says “Office” at the end of the hallway, she stops walking and takes a deep breath. Why was she called here? She didn’t do anything wrong, did she? She was always the good student, so why is she being summoned now?

 

She resumes walking again and stops in front of the door. She puts her earphones in her pocket and takes a deep breath. With her clammy hands, she twisted the knob and was greeted with a laugh from the principal. The laughter ceases, and the principal stands, addressing Dahyun. 

 

Dahyun smiles a little bit, and the smile that she managed to show on her face turns into a small frown when she spots another presence in the room. A presence that she has been avoiding.

 

“Oh, Dahyun, please take a seat across Miss Kim.” The principal says, unaware of the sudden tension in the room.

 

Dahyun only nods, sitting hesitantly before looking at the principal, her gaze unwavering. “I was called here? Did I do something wrong?”

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong. Miss Kim has asked for you.” The principal stands, an action that Dahyun has been dreading. “Well then, I shall leave you two for privacy.”

 

She hears the door shut, and the ringing in her ears has come back. She swallows the lump in and forces herself to speak. “What are you doing here, grandmother?”

 

“Don’t call me grandmother, it is Director to you.” The old woman’s tone is firm and the harshness was lying underneath. 

 

Dahyun feels small, “I understand, I’m sorry.”

 

The director ignores what she said. “I have a proposition for you.”

 

“Can’t we talk about it at home, director? You could have just asked my presence there.” Dahyun whispers. 

 

“Did I tell you to talk?” The director snaps.

 

“I’m sorry, please continue.”

 

“As I was saying, I can’t say it at home because your father would know it. I hate his guts.” The director states. “You will take over the company when the time comes. When you finish college, I would announce your presence to the board and they won’t have no choice but accept it.”

 

“Isn’t it too early to give them to me? Besides, I don’t have any interest in the company.”

 

“You have no choice. Not when I brought you into my house and fed, educated, and gave you things that you need.” The director says, “Besides, I will let you meet your mother if you accept my proposition.”

 

The director smirks when she sees Dahyun stilled in her seat when she hears about her mother. “She has no choice but to agree to my demands, poor child.” The director snickers in her mind.

 

“What do you think?” The director asks.

 

For the first time, Dahyun tries to meet her grandmother’s eyes. “Before I accept your condition, can I add one more thing to the deal?”

 

“Tell me.” The director replies. “I don’t guarante

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter