The Newest Guest

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I think spring is coming again. Almost sick of the cherry blossoms; they bloomed overnight.
I hate it, but spring is coming again.”

Eunji, Spring

The rain fell in violent sheets almost immediately, prompting me and Father to run out from the weather, as the master’s viscount stared at us with an expression full of disgust.

He led us into corridors upon corridors, not saying a word. He need not bother, what with the roar of rainfall filled whatever silence that had transpired after the beast had stormed off.

I was still reeling from the shock of it all; the master of the household was an extraordinary feat in itself, and I had yet to find some kind of explanation to justify the existence of such a man, such a monster, all in one form.

What other fantastical things lay within these walls, that remain undiscovered?

What secrets hid among these floorboards?

Would I be able to learn them all?

Would I even be able to accept them all?

My mind was steadily tiring out by the minute, and the only thing that I was certain about was the fact that I had prevented Father from going through this devastatingly strange and terrorizing fate.

He had interlaced his fingers with mine, holding tightly as we followed the viscount, and I was aware of how much he was holding in; I didn’t dare look at him, for fear that it would break my heart as I realize that I would never see him again, not after the sun rose tomorrow.

We abruptly came to a halt. “This is where you’ll be staying,” our begrudgin guide said curtly, as a cluster of maids exited the room, “Your father’s is next door, for tonight.”

There was something in the way he said that, that made him glare at him.

The last person to exit was the woman from earlier, the one Seok Jin had referred to as Yoo Kyung.

She gave a short bow, gesturing to the interior. “Forgive our haste,” she told me, as I stepped into the room, “We will furnish it properly in the morning, but for now, if you require anything, there is a bell on the vanity you can use to ring for assistance.”

I looked around. It was well lit with candles, illuminating the large space that I clearly did not expect to receive as the palace’s new inhabitant. Everything that was in here was a token of luxury, from the painted rice paper partition walls, to the heavy-looking wooden furniture whose buttons looked too gleaming to not be gold, to the paintings of flowers hung on the walls, and the soft blankets that were neatly folded in the corner.

Even the floor was sufficiently warm, just the way I like it.

“If you would like a bit of air,” Yoo Kyung said, going over to a sliding door at the end of the room, “We have a balcony overlooking the forest. However it can get quite chilly at night; allow me to show you.”

She opened it, and I in a breath as a strong gust of wind slapped against my face. I could see the storm cascading angrily over the dark shadows that were the trees, the sound of the wind howling in my ears as she shut the door.

I blinked. “This is my quarters?”

She nodded. “Is it satisfactory?”

“Yes, more than satisfactory,” I breathed, running my hands over the vanity, turning back to her, “But, am I not a prisoner? Do I not sleep in some sort of cell?”

The woman seemed to be taken aback at my question. “Of course not, child. The master isn’t such a tyrant.”

I met my father’s eyes, and he turned away.

“Will that be all for tonight?” Yoo Kyung asked.

I nodded. “Yes.”

“Dinner will be brought to your room in a short while,” she said, bowing again, “Viscount Kim and I will make our leave now.”

“Thank you.”

Seok Jin sniffed, giving me one last look before they disappeared.

I immediately let out a long sigh, feeling the pent-up tension in my body as I sank in one of the heavy wood chairs beside the vanity.

My father stepped into the room, watching me. “Is there any way I can change your mind so that you’ll return home tomorrow?” he asked sombrely.

“Not one.”

“Eunji…”

“Father, look around you,” I said, trying to sound chipper, “I’m going to be living like a princess here. There’s absolutely nothing for you to worry about, I will be well taken care of. Dinner delivered to my room - which looks fit for royalty, by the way - and I get to have my own space. You used to scold me for fighting with my brothers for space.”

He sat in the chair opposite mine. “Eunji, I know you’re trying to make me feel better, but this is not the time to make light of the situation. I cannot leave you here, whatever you say.”

“And I cannot leave you here,” I returned, “Here’s a thought, how about we both stay here?”

He cracked a smile. “You’re joking? At a time like this?”

I grinned. “You’re going to miss it when you leave. And then you’ll realize how terrible it will be when all you have is the occasional cold joke from Hoseok.”

My smile faltered then, knowing I never got to properly say goodbye to my brothers. I never even got to properly apologize for being rude to Jimin, or my stepmother.

I never even got to explain to Namjoon that I couldn’t reciprocate his feelings.

My father seemed to know the torrent of thoughts, reading right through me.

He took my hand. “My brave child,” he said, wonder obvious in his voice, “However did you find out I was here, so quickly?”

“I overheard you last night, talking to Mother. I couldn’t sleep.”

“I’ve never been more glad to have someone eavesdrop in the conversation, then,” he chuckled, “I never expected it would be you coming to my rescue, not in a million years.”

I pouted. “You didn’t have any faith in me?”

“It isn’t that. I didn’t think your mother would have came to the same conclusion; there was a reason I didn’t want to tell any of you children.”

“So you’d rather leave us abruptly and have us broken at the thought of a life without you?”

“I would rather it be left to that, than for you to be lost in the mountains trying to find me and possibly be beheaded by a monster in the process.”

I made a face. “He doesn’t look threatening enough.”

Suddenly the light in the room flickered, only for a second, and i caught my father flinch.

“Eunji. Don’t you trifle with him. He may not seem much to you, but that day- oh, Eunji, I almost died that day had I not begged for my life,” he said, beside himself, “I don’t want to have you do the same.”

I pressed my lips together, leaning against him. “That’s why I need you to go back,” I told him, “You’re petrified in his presence, imagine being that way forever, well, however long you intended to stay here. I wouldn’t know until when he would keep you, but I am not letting anyone frighten you so.”

His eyes glistened. “Why do you always have to be so damn fearless?”

My lips turned upwards, heart swelling as I noticed the pride in his voice. “Because you taught me well.”

 

 

Min Yoongi paced impatiently, his cup of tea untouched as thoughts raced through his mind.

He hadn’t been to the throne room in a long, long, time, and that added to the restlessness that had taken up residence in his heart. Suffice to say, he hadn’t felt this way for years, and he was desperately trying to hold onto the calm composure he thought he had exhibited before the girl who had so clearly caused him to be so on edge.

He stopped pacing, looking at Lady Hong. “Where is he?”

“I am sure he is on his way here, Your Highness.”

Yoongi let out an exasperated exhale, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Can’t he get here any faster?”

The aggravation in his voice almost made him laugh; why in the world was he in such a state over a girl?

Who did she think she was, a metaphorical pebble in his shoe, a bump in the road, a snake in the path of his peace? She had stormed into his palace and, by all accounts, proved through her actions that she was the last person whom he could ever expect to share his roof.

And yet, he couldn’t stop thinking about the way she had stood before him, unyielding to the feelings he had inflicted in fear as she stared back at him with those wide eyes.

A chill of something he couldn’t quite describe went through him.

Ugh, this is confusing. I can’t think about this properly.

He turned to the throne, seeing the deep red throne with gold phoenixes carved into it, the distant cousin to the actual Eojwa, or Phoenix Throne, in the Capital. He had seen it so many times in his childhood, and he could still remember the sense of yearning whenever he would sit in it as a boy - his feet not even reaching the ground - and wonder, what it was like to be in the Capital, as a Prince.

Once, he wondered if he would ever sit on it, as a King.

That idea definitely turned out well.

Another memory - this time of him looking up at his father seated on said throne while villagers came to lament their troubles - came to his mind, uninvited, and he was hit with an onslaught of past visions that he had shoved deep into the recesses of his consciousness.

He swallowed the bitter taste of regret, guilt, and shame as he tried to hold onto that innocent memory.

What would Father do?

He pushed the thought away. Father wouldn’t even be in such a situation in the first place; he was a saint.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

The doors opened, and he looked up in anticipation, blinking back the sting of tears that he didn’t want anyone to see as he whirled around to look at the addition to their company. “Well?” he barked, as Viscount Kim hurried towards the two of them, “Are they still awake?”

The man bowed, before straightening up, his lips a thin, displeased line.

“Currently eating, Your Highness, although for someone who’s supposed to be sad, the girl is quite entertained,” he said, folding his arms, “I hardly think allowing her to stay here is a proper decision.”

Yoongi walked up to the throne, sinking in it as he looked at his two most trusted subjects. “Do you think I made a mistake?”

“But of course! She is an unrefined, nonconformist brute with no respect for men, coming in here with a sword that she clearly does not know how to wield!” he protested, nose flaring, “She does not deserve to live in the guest quarters; she should sleep where the animals drink.”

Yoongi shut his eyes. “You seem to forget that I was cursed to this form because I thought the same thing seven years ago.”

“I- well, forgive me, Your Highness, but I doubt she even deserves your kindness.”

“I made that mistake long ago,” the prince sighed, “I’ve been paying for it ever since. I’m not sure if I made a good decision, acceding to her offer in exchange for her father’s like that.”

“Your Highness, you clearly were already vexed when her father showed up at the gates. What more the spawn of the devil?”

“It isn’t up to you to decide,” Lady Hong hushed him, and she clasped her hands together, “My lord, if I may be so bold, why would you allow her to take her father’s place? She is but a child.”

Yoongi, leaning languidly in his throne, let out a long sigh as he regarded her.

Lady Hong’s eyes narrowed. “Surely you’re not implying…”

He gave a slow nod.

Viscount Kim glanced between them, an incredulous expression on his face as realization dawned on him. “Well, this is preposterous! How could you even suggest such a girl to break the curse?”

“I have no other choice but to consider it, even if it does not make any sense.”

“She is a savage, wild, unladylike creature!” Viscounts Kim blustered, “She shows absolutely no remorse over what she did to me, especially now that I have a wound, for goodness’ sake! What good is such an offensive person when they can barely treat others with compassion!”

“Strange thing to comment on, Viscount,” he replied coolly.

“That is not what I meant- that is to say, I did not mean any offense-”

“Leave me be, if you wish to continue lecturing me,” he reiterated, “My decision is final; the girl stays. If you feel it would be a decision I will regret in the long run, please, feel free to tell me so then.”

Viscount Kim shut his mouth. “Apologies, Your Highness. I’ve spoken out of turn.”

“You think so?”

“Now, now, there’s no need to be annoyed at me.”

“I’m always annoyed with you, my dear viscount. Nothing will change,” Yoongi said drily, and turned to their other companion. “Lady Hong, any objections?”

The woman shook her head. “No, my lord.”

“You wish to say something?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter