Life Goes On

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You look better than any other person always.”

Eunji, Home

It’s so warm in here, I thought to myself. How comfortable.

The steady pounding of drums created a thrum in the background, permeating my rest as the floor vibrated, and I woke up with a start, realizing I was not in the freezing courtyard anymore.

Where am I?

I sat up quickly, my head spinning as I blinked, staring at the smooth varnished floors under my body. Torches blazed all around at the brightly-lit hall I was in, and as I looked at my surroundings, I realized I was in the throne hall once more, except this time, it was no longer swallowed in the darkness, but was mesmerizing in its full glory.

The throne was imposing above the carpeted steps, and I realized that with the limited light I had previously, it was not just made of gold, but intertwined with tones of scarlet. Even the back of the throne was carved in a way that it looked like the remnants of the throne morphed into phoenixes taking flight.

Along with the tapestry of flying phoenixes gleaming behind the throne, it looked fit for a king, let alone a prince.

I in a breath, immediately remembering where I had last seen Yoongi.

The memories of his death slammed against me like a nightmare, and I felt my breaths quicken as I remembered what had happened before I woke.

But however did I get here, in the throne room? There was no soul in sight.

And not just that, I thought as I looked down at myself, realizing I was no longer in my training gear, but in my familiar yellow hanbok and its matching skirts, with a dark red sash in the middle.

How…?

Even my ankles didn’t seem to have sustained its injuries after my fall from the gates of the Red Courtyard, and I tested them as I got to my feet. I lifted my skirts, rotating my ankles.

It’s like they were never hurt.

Fascinating. I could have sworn I couldn’t walk.

The beat of the drum from outside - wherever it was coming from - got louder, and I glanced back at the throne again before hurrying towards the doors, throwing them open.

I gasped.

Instead of statues lined up over the stone courtyard of the most private part of the palace, there were people playing with sparklers, dancing, and laughing.

The sound of drums morphed into the sound of whistling fireworks that exploded in the sky, and I could smell the powder in the air as I grinned at the sparks of red and gold above.

This has to be a dream.

I stepped out to the balcony, my lips parting in surprise as I watched the crowd of people milling in the courtyard below me.

I’m definitely dreaming.

I must either be dreaming, or I have died and found some kind of in-between heaven because this seems too good to be true.

“Eunji-noona!” a boyish voice pierced the chaos of celebration, and I looked away from the fireworks to see a boy waving at me.

“Soonshim!” I cried with a grin, picking up my skirts to run down the staircase to my left, as he sprinted to me.

“Noona!”

My eyes stung with tears. “Soonshim!”

The impact of his hug almost knocked me off my feet. “Noona, you’re here!”

I held him in my arms, spinning him around as I clutched him to me. “Look at you, all dapper!”

“You did it, noona!”

I pulled away, still laughing as I his hair. “What do you mean?”

“Eunji!” voices called me, and I turned to see all the servants of the household running towards me.

I spotted my handmaidens right away, and before I could say a word, they engulfed me in a suffocating embrace.

Gayoon, whose face was already red from crying, squeezed my hands together. “You came back!”

“Of course I came back!”

Sohyun didn’t let me go. “We were so worried that you wouldn’t make it back in time, didn’t we, Jihyun?” she cried, her voice muffled against my shoulder, “But you’re here now!”

“Now, ladies, you’re going to smother the poor girl,” a lilting voice said, and everyone drew back as Lady Hong stood behind them, “For goodness’ sake, she’s still taking everything in.”

The tears I was holding fell down my cheeks. “Is this real?”

Lady Hong reached out, using her fingers to wipe them away. “As real as it is the first of spring,” she said, as she held me close, “Welcome home.”

This is real, I thought, hearing her heartbeat as I leaned against her chest.

This is all real and the spell is broken.

Viscount Kim appeared beside her. “Stop crying, my gosh, it’s as if we don’t have decorum! The master taught us to remain dignified even in such overwhelming situations,” he scoffed, making a face, before it melted completely when he saw me, “Damn it all, come here, Eunji!”

He placed his arms around Lady Hong and me, his body shaking. “You had us all scared for a bit,” he told me, his voice cracking, “We thought we’d never see the light of day again. The curse has been lifted from the palace...and all because of you.”

“How is it because of me?”

Lady Hong kissed the top of my head. “True love,” she said fondly, “An innocent maiden must pledge her love in order for the enchantments to be broken.”

I chuckled, wiping my face on my sleeve. “I’m hardly innocent.”

“Oh, I think you are,” Viscount Kim retorted, messing my hair.

I smiled at everyone. “But then, if the curse is broken,” I said, looking at the faces around me, “Where is Yoongi?”

Lady Hong exchanged glances with the viscount.

My smile fell. “Please tell me he’s alive.”

The crowd around me began to part.

“He’s right there,” Lady Hong said, looking past me, “Waiting for you.”

I turned, watching the servants part, making a path that led to a raven-haired youth, standing a short distance away.

Wearing the familiar black and gold robes he had worn on the night of my midsummer birthday festivities, the pale young man stood there, with my bow in his hands, looking at me with an expression so full of unadulterated wonder that it was impossible to look away.

Lady Hong gestured to him. “Introducing, His Royal Highness, Prince Min Yoongi, son of Prince Min Junki and Shin Haeryung,” she said, as the servants bowed.

For a long moment, we stared at each other.

The servants stared at us staring at each other.

“You’re here,” he whispered.

My eyelashes fluttered as I took a step forward, suddenly at a loss for words. “Yoongi? Is that you?”

He drew in a breath, hooking the bow over one shoulder. “Eunji.”

It was so strange to hear my name spoken the same way, but so differently. I could feel the emotions in his voice in those two syllables: relief, to uncertainty, to shock, to something beyond that.

I, on the other hand, was completely taken by surprise; I barely remembered the torn portrait of the anguished boy in the throne room just a few hours ago, and seeing that prince in the flesh now was making me lose my mind.

It wasn’t that I had been expecting his cursed self, but on the other hand, I was.

I played with the hem of my blouse. “It is you.”

He nodded, closing the distance between us. “It’s me,” he said, extending his hand.

A hush had fallen over everyone around us as I placed my hand in his. “So it is,” I murmured, watching him interlace our fingers together before bringing them to his lips, searing my skin with a kiss.

Something tingled up my skin, making me breathe in a little gasp. “You’re human,” I breathed, looking into his eyes, those familiar, dark eyes that I knew so well, “Is this what you really look like?”

“I am,” he said, the faint smile on his lips blinding me, “Am I what you expected?”

Entranced, I shook my head. “Not at all, no,” I commented, staring at his face, the planes of his cheekbones, the delicate slant of his almond-shaped eyes, the nervous but steady gaze, the long nose, and the little pout of his lips, which turned downwards as he spoke.

“Are you disappointed?”

“No, silly,” I protested, feeling my cheeks turn hot, “I think you look much better.”

He beamed, eyes sparkling with delight. “I’m glad.”

“I’m glad too,” I replied, holding his face in my hands, “I thought I lost you.”

“I thought I lost you too.”

“I don’t know if you heard me, but if you didn’t, I’ll just say it with everyone witnessing me,” I told him giddily, “I may have grown up to hate the idea of romance, but if there’s one thing I am certain of, is that I love you. I don’t say this too often, but I do-”

His eyes glistened. “I heard you,” he said, placing his hands around my waist, “In those last moments...I heard you.”

The way he looked at me so tenderly melted my insides, and I squeezed his cheeks. “I have something else to tell you too, but it can wait,” I announced, “Oh, you know what? I’ll just say it too. I found out I’m half a princess, and that my father is my real father. He lied and said he adopted twins so that the Capital didn’t know that their Crown Princess had an illegitimate daughter.”

Viscount Kim frowned. “Crown Princess?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll tell you about it later.”

Lady Hong chuckled. “What an interesting turn of events,” she mused, “Imagine if both of you had grown up in the Capital, Yoongi might have met you all the same.”

“Destiny indeed,” Sohyun said dreamily.

Gayoon clapped her hands together. “Think of the impact the both of you will have!”

I threw back my head and laughed.

Imagine! Two bastard children on the throne! The scandal.

Yoongi grinned. “I might have been a King had my father stayed there,” he said, turning to me, “But I have no use for titles and positions any longer. I have had everything my whole life, but right now I’m putting all those aside for you.”

My heart skipped a beat. “But I’m just a peasant girl,” I said, “I’m not a princess.”

“Would you like to be?”

The crowd gasped.

I raised my eyebrows. “My, my, my, is His Highness asking me to marry him?” I teased.

“My royal descent does not matter. All I ask is for you to be mine,” he said, “I can’t imagine a life without your presence in it, by my side.”

My breath hitched. “It sure is different hearing this from someone I esteem so highly,” I said, fanning myself, “Look at us. Half a prince, and half a princess. Would have been a perfect ending if those those stupid wolves and that stupid blizzard not interrupt.”

“You were absolutely fantastic with this,” he said, gesturing to my bow that was still hooked over one shoulder, “Had Viscount Kim been there, he would have seen you and be proud.”

“I’m proud all the same,” he chimed in, patting my shoulder, “You did well.”

“You’re just saying that because he’s here,” I taunted, sticking out a tongue at him.

He stuck out a tongue back at me. “Your impertinence never fails to come through the cracks,” he countered.

“You love me, though.”

Yoongi pulled me into him, tucking my head under his chin. “Play nice.”

I giggled. “Never,” I declared, “Viscount Kim will just have to take me as I am.”

He chuckled, the sound rumbling in his chest, making goosebumps erupt on my arms as it vibrated against me.

Soonshim tugged at my dress. “Well, I hate to interrupt,” he piped up, “But you haven’t asked her to marry you, yet, Master.”

I blinked at him, before pulling myself away with a huff. “The boy’s right, Yoongi, however could you not ask? Do it now, so that the poor boy can rest well tonight. Or we’ll never hear the end of it!”

It was hilarious to see him so flustered as he stared at the servants crowding around us expectantly, even more now that he was human and probably ten times less intimidating.

He simply stood there, mouth opening and closing like a fish as he looked at me.

“Cat got your tongue?” I asked innocently.

Fine. I’ll do it instead.

Taking his hands in mine. “Min Yoongi, will you do me the honor of-”

Viscount Kim tutted. “Wait, that isn’t how it goes-”

Lady Hong clapped a hand over his mouth. “Quiet, Seok Jin, this is not the time!” she hissed.

“-being my heart’s desire, for now, and for all time?” I finished, before leaning forwards to whisper, “I do not take no for an answer, unless you have a death wish.”

Yoongi sniffed, nodding. “Yes,” he breathed, “As if I would ever refuse!”

“Perfect!” I exclaimed, as the servants erupted in applause, “You might live to regret it, but you’re mine now.”

He pulled me closer. “I don’t think there’s any regret in that,” he said, as his gaze fell to my lips.

He’s going to kiss me, I thought wildly, as he hooked an arm around my waist. He’s going to kiss me and I don’t know if I’m ready for-

As if the sound of the Red Courtyard doors being thrown open didn’t already silenced the celebrations, the gust of icy winds definitely did.

Yoongi immediately turned, blocking me from seeing whoever had caused the interruption. “Stay behind me,” he commanded, pushing through the crowd.

My hands slipped out of his. “Why? What’s going on?” I asked, pushing through the other servants anyway, gripping his hand in mine.

Whatever we go through, it’s together.

“Who is it?” I whispered.

Yoongi didn’t say a word.

I looked at the hooded figure, standing under the archway of the Red Courtyard doors, looking unsettlingly familiar.

Where have I seen such a person before?

The sound of nails scraping against metal met my ears and I realized that it was the figure’s laughter. “Seems like you were successful after all, Your Highness,” she - it sounded like a she - croaked, “I see you’ve got quite the birthday present. Is this the lucky girl?”

He squeezed my hand, looking at her stubbornly. “You’re not taking her away from me.”

“Of course I won’t, dear boy. What purpose would I have, when she has done nothing wrong?” came the reply, “Except, well, to annoy you, of course.”

Lady Hong stepped forward, taking my other hand. “Over my dead body.”

“And mine!” Viscount Kim protested, stepping in front of us, “By all accounts, what erse humor have you, when you can’t even show yourself!”

The old woman cackled. “I suppose, it isn’t fair of me to remain elusive for so long,” she pondered, her bony hand reaching up to pull her hood back, “Do not be too surprised; my theatrical nature remains my best disguise.”

As she revealed herself, she drew up to twice her height, and she stepped forward into the light, the tattered cloak morphing into cascading robes of deep scarlet, while her hair tumbled free behind her.

Placing a hat on her head, there stood the owner of the gibang in the flesh, looking as though she had appeared out of thin air.

My jaw dropped to the ground. “What in heavens...MISTRESS SONG?” I practically shrieked, shaking Yoongi’s arm, “You know her?”

He whirled around to me. “You know her too?”

“She lives in my village!”

He frowned. “Wait...Mistress Song, I know that name,” he said to himself, turning back to her, “You’re the gisaeng from the village!”

The woman walked down the steps towards us, her hanbok spilling out behind her as she yawned. “Are we done with the dramatic reactio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter