Warrior in the Autumn

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Someday, when I long for these moments, I hope you feel the same way.”

Apink, That Spring, This Autumn

“What have you got planned?” Yoongi asked curiously, scratching his collar, “And why must I wear something so elaborate, I feel stupid.”

“Lady Hong insisted you looked the part of a prince.”

He let out a snort. “I doubt I look anything like one.”

Viscount Kim was unfazed, giving him a once-over as they entered the inner courtyard where the hall was. “Which is why the robes help.”

“I’m certain Eunji wouldn’t be impressed by superficial things like clothes,” he scoffed, looking down at the ornate box he held in his hand, “Do you think she’ll like this, though?”

He held up the box.

Viscount Kim nodded. “Just because she scorns superficiality, doesn’t mean she doesn’t appreciate a gift, especially one that means so much to you. Are you sure you wish to present it to her?”

Yoongi kept it in his robes. “It no longer has an owner,” he murmured quietly, “I’m sure it would appreciate another.”

He felt his mentor’s hand on his shoulder, and glanced at him.

“She would have loved Eunji. You know she would.”

The prince chuckled. “Of course she would. She would have loved to see a lot of things, especially me, like this, wearing the very thing Father always never let me wear,” he joked, “Wait. Did Lady Hong ask Eunji to wear the royal-”

His question was answered before his very eyes when he saw the girl herself, standing outside the hall. The doors were closed, he observed, and she was seated on a bench under the cherry blossom tree, her back to him, watching it curiously while catching the falling flowers in her hands.

She must be wondering why it continues to bloom despite it being midsummer, he thought, not realizing that he had stopped walking.

But he didn’t care about the damned tree.

It was her that he couldn’t take his eyes off.

Her dress cascaded all around her in scarlet and gold, gleaming luxuriously in the glow of the torches, making her look almost imperious as she sat by herself. While she fanned herself, her hair seemed to float in the breeze, and despite having seen it falling over her back for so many times, Yoongi couldn’t ever get used to the temptation of wanting to run his hands through it.

She was ethereal, almost like a princess conjured from a dream, and he wondered what it would have been like had he been human; they would be quite the formidable match, him with his black and gold hanbok, and her in red and gold.

He felt Viscount Kim jab him in the side, and he snapped out of his reverie.

“Good evening,” he made out, feeling his heart pound as she turned.

“There you are!” she said brightly, getting to her feet, “I was starting to wonder how long I would wait. Aren’t girls supposed to take more time to prepare?”

Before he could stammer a reply, Viscount Kim stepped forward. “Yoongi lost track of time. He was very much admiring himself.”

He felt his face turn hot. “Hey, that’s not-”

Eunji’s eyes met his, full of mirth as she walked towards them. “I shall not blame you for that,” she told him, swaying her skirts, “I love my gown too. I had no idea the seamstresses were able to create these for me. Pardon my ignorance, but if I didn’t know better, these are the robes fit for an empress!”

They probably are.

Yoongi didn’t want to admit that her robes were the ones his father had commissioned for his mother.

“You look lovely,” he only said.

“I feel lovely,” she said, looking positively glowing, “If my village saw me now, they’d think a prince has fallen in love with me and asked me to be his bride.”

Something caught at the back of his throat and he coughed.

Viscount Kim had the good sense to hide his laughter. “For a girl who claims to have no care for the life of a lady, you truly are a hopeless romantic,” he pointed out, while Yoongi continued to stare at her in speechless shock.

Eunji folded her arms over her chest, pretending to scowl. “Well, a girl can dream, can’t she?”

“Of course. I mean no disrespect,” came the sarcastic reply.

Before they could begin a round of verbal sparring, the doors to the Phoenix Hall opened, revealing Lady Hong, an enigmatic smile on her face.

“I had thought our guests of honor have arrived,” she remarked, opening both doors for them, “Please come in, we have prepared dinner for the both of you.”

Eunji clapped her hands together. “Perfect. I’m starving,” she said, gathering up her skirts as she walked towards the steps, almost tripping had he not reach out to steady her.

She gave him a sheepish smile. “Thank you.”

“Anytime,” he said, tearing his eyes away from her gaze when he noticed the hall, “What in heavens-”

The hall had been converted into a theater of sorts. There was a large stage at the end, and on its left were some of the servants playing the musical instruments, filling the room with music. There were long tapestries with phoenixes hanging from the ceiling, interspersed with chiffon draperies. Red lanterns hung all around them, illuminating the room with a warm red glow. The plain mats had been removed and replaced with thick rugs on which floral motifs curled endlessly, and in the middle of the hall, there was a table that was being filled with steaming food.

Yoongi felt something heavy in his chest. The last time he had seen the Phoenix Hall this way was when his parents were alive, and they had been celebrating his mother’s birthday.

She had loved the theater, and he remembered her stories of how she used to go watch them as a child, falling in love with the stories told by the dancers.

His father had attempted to recreate one for her, and she had been so touched by the gesture that she had cried.

Now, as he stared at the stage, he felt the wave of nostalgia crash over him. There was happiness in there, but there was also grief and regret.

He hadn’t honored his parents in those years that he had been selfish, and he had lost his way from them in his efforts to run away from the pain of their absence.

He glanced at Lady Hong, who seemed to understand his feelings.

She gave a nod, a small smile on her lips, as if to say, we miss her too.

He swallowed the lump in his throat, turning to Eunji, who was frozen beside him.

Her eyes were wide, taking in the sights that seemed to be overwhelming, and her hand was on her chest as she stared at the room.

Then, as if knowing he was watching her, she turned to him, her eyes almost sparkling with delight.

“I’m not sure what is happening,” she said, sounding breathless, “Did you plan this?”

He shook his head.

Lady Hong walked towards her, taking her hands in hers.

“Happy Birthday, Eunji.”

She looks like she’s about to cry, he thought to himself with an amused smile, watching her blink furiously while Lady Hong led them to the food.

He knew what it felt like, watching the head of the Geungnyeo the girl’s hair, having been in that same position after he had lost his parents. She was everything he could ask for and more, and right now, he could see how touched Eunji was.

“We’ve tried to recreate all your favorite dishes,” Lady Hong said, “And not only that, the ones that you’ve yet to add to your favorites.”

He watched Eunji gasp. “All this was prepared...in my honor?”

Viscount Kim appeared by her side. “Well, it’s just dinner. Wait till you watch the performances,” he said, puffing his chest out, “I adapted a play for you.”

Eunji looked at the stage, then back at them. “I’ve never had a birthday celebration before,” she said, her lip trembling, “Oh, I’m trying not to cry but it’s so difficult.”

Lady Hong reached for her face, using her thumb to wipe away the tears from the corner of Eunji’s eyes. “It happens,” she said, patting her cheek, before looking at him, “Please, sit. Enjoy the meal.”

Yoongi nodded, just as Eunji glanced at him. “Why are you smiling at me like that?” she huffed, swiping her eyes quickly.

He chuckled. “Nothing,” he quipped, sinking onto the plush cushion, “After you.”

The lights around them dimmed slightly, and he turned to the stage as the opening notes of a mandolin pierced the hum of music.

Someone entered onstage. Viscount Kim was wearing a fake beard as he paced around what seemed like a castle.

Lady Hong appeared on the other side of the stage, reading from a scroll. “Once upon a time, there lived a cruel king who shirked his duties in favor of instilling fear in the hearts of his subjects,” she read, “His injustices were too many to count, and he held no remorse for the lives he had taken in the name of power.”

He felt Eunji pat his hand momentary, and almost jumped in surprise at her touch.

She was oblivious, eyes wide with anticipation as she grinned at him.

“This looks fun,” she told him.

As Viscount Kim glared down at them, Lady Hong continued. “His favorite pastime was to challenge anyone to a duel. The winner would be the next King.”

“Whoever dares to take the throne must defeat me in battle!” his voice echoed throughout the hall, “I shall use my legendary sword that has never lost toan adversary!”

He felt Eunji lean close. “How many talents does Viscount Kim have?” she said, placing some vegetables in his bowl, “Teaching, duelling, and now, theatre? What a complete package of a man.”

“Go marry him, then.”

“And be subjected to insecurities?” she said, holding her cup for him to pour rice wine into, “I hope not. But he would definitely be an eligible bachelor in my village.”

“He’d probably decline,” he said, watching the viscount hold up a scroll, “He’s too in love with himself.”

They watched as Soonshim appeared. “I dare to challenge you, Your Majesty!” he declared, his boyish voice making Eunji laugh beside him, “I, too, have an unbeatable sword that has guided me through many a war.”

They duelled, and Soonshim ducked as Viscount Kim swung his wooden sword over him. The little boy fell to the ground in a grunt, and let out an anguished cry as Viscount Kim stabbed him with a triumphant laugh.

“Who else dares to challenge me?” he asked, as Eunji’s handmaidens appeared onstage.

“I know of someone!” Gayoon said, “The fiercest fighter in all of the land.”

Sohyun nodded. “No one has ever lived to tell the tale, but stories have been whispered among the trees, and through the villages. You would never survive.”

“A formidable fighter of whom I have yet to meet?” Viscount Kim asked, “Bring him forward, so that I may best him in a duel.”

Sohyun stepped forward. “This fighter only comes when the moon glows full in the middle of summer, and does not come a minute before nor after the moment the moment reaches its zenith. Wait under the cherry blossom tree, under the moon, and the warrior of the shadows will come to you.”

Viscount Kim threw his sword in the air and caught it. “So be it. I shall wait.”

The lights dimmed as they disappeared offstage, while servants began to set up the props for the next scene.

Eunji slurped her soup next to him. “Oh, this is getting interesting,” she whispered, as the music began to take an ominous tone.

Then, Viscount Kim walked onstage, clad in armor as he stood under a cherry blossom tree, which, upon closer inspection, was Lady Hong, wearing a dark brown hanbok while she threw shredded pink rice paper over herself.

He smiled, seeing the emotionless expression on her face.

The two handmaidens appeared, bowing to the impatient king.

“Well? Where is this fighter you speak of?”

“Your Majesty, may we present, the fighter who has accepted your offer of a duel,” Sohyun announced, as a shadowy figure emerged from the wings of the stage, all in black. A wide brimmed hat with a black veil covered the actor’s face, and if not for the figure, he could have assumed it was one of the male servants.

“Is that Jihyun?” Eunji asked, her chopsticks paused halfway towards .

“And what, pray tell, is this ridiculous costume?” the viscount mocked, “What is your name?”

The shadowy figure held her head higher. “My name is Juhyun, Warrior of the Midsummer Moon,” came the cool reply, “You would do well to remember the divine honor bestowed upon you to carry out your duties as King.”

“A woman, preaching me the duties of a king?” Viscount Kim scoffed, drawing his sword, “Then you may die, knowing that you have been foolish to think that you would best a king, let alone take his throne.”

“So be it,” she replied, drawing a sword of her own.

Yoongi watched them battle, stealing glances at Eunji, who was watching intently.

He could see how focused she was, not even noticing when a bit of meat fell off her spoon.

He returned to his food, smiling to himself.

“Argh!” Viscount Kim grunted, tripping and falling to the ground, “You dare to stab your King?”

Juhyun reached up, taking off the veiled hat, revealing jet black hair falling over her shoulders. “I am your King now,” she said quietly, raising her sword.

As she swung it, the theater plunged into darkness, catching both Yoongi and Eunji off guard.

She jerked and let out a yelp, and he felt a clatter of her bowl on the low table before them.

And then a lantern was lit, and another, and another, the light illuminating the cast onstage.

He turned to his companion. “Are you alright?”

She was laughing in embarrassment. “I did not expect that ending,” she said, vigorously using a napkin to wipe something on her dress, “I spilled some of my rice wine. It might stain the robes.”

“And Juhyun the Moon Warrior ruled the kingdom justly, caring for its subjects as their Queen in a way their King did not,” Lady Hong finished, as the actors appeared onstage to bow.

Eunji gave up wiping in favor of clapping vigorously. “Well done!” she cheered, beaming, “I love it!”

“Onto the next performance!” Viscount Kim announced, “The fan dance!”

Yoongi raised his eyebrows. “He’s putting a lot of effort into this,” he pointed out to his companion, as she laughed.

“He definitely is,” she agreed, as the handmaidens stood onstage, holding large fans in their hand, “This reminds me of the Spring Harvest performances Hoseok and I used to give.”

“You dance?”

Her eyes narrowed. “Why the shock?” she asked, laughing, “I’m still a girl, you know. I like dresses and dancing and embroidering.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, I just can’t imagine you dancing.”

Lady Hong appeared. “You dance, Eunji?”

The girl looked up at her. “Not often enough. I used to perform for the Spring Harvest Festival in my village. Have you heard The Heartbreak of a Mother? The theatre ahjumma used to make me play the mother because she always said I was dramatic.”

The lady looked thoughtful. “I think I know what you mean,” she murmured, “Would you like to dance for us, after this segment?”

“I suppose, if I haven’t forgotten the steps already, I could.”

Lady Hong bowed, and floated away as Eunji turned to him.

“I am definitely going to forget the steps,” she said, “Also, here, have some more seaweed. It’s delicious.”

“I’m a carnivore.”

She gave him a look. “I realized you’ve been eating vegetables this whole time,” she said in wonder, “Do you ever, I don’t know, ever want to hunt live animals?”

He scowl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter