The Palace in the Mountains

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If it is this kind of nightmare, I won’t ever wake up.”

IU, Suga, Eight

As far as I was concerned, the mountain of Gariwangsan was limitless.

From the stories Father would tell, there were majestic waterfalls where the pure spring water flowed, trickling into the river that s just in the woods behind our village. The trees were green and lush, with dangling vines and tall trunks, the leaves a canopy of shade hovering over the many paths into the unknown, and if we were to look closely, there were more than several abandoned villages where flora and fauna alike would make their home. Father had mentioned that without a proper guide, we would be lost forever amongst those paths, never to be found again.

From my brief escapades with my brothers back when we were much younger, we would pretend to be just like him, but for our sake, we would never stray too far from home.

There was always the possibility of being too adventurous.

But Father had said that if we were to find ourselves unable to find our way home, we always had to find the river and walk down. That river would take us back to the village.

As I held onto my horse - Areum, or Beauty, as my father would fondly call her - the forests felt unwelcoming, dangerous and terrifying. It was one matter to enter it during the day and go for a short walk to the river, but it was another thing altogether to enter it as the sun set, and every second of riding felt like forever while the golden light faded in between the trees.

My dress fluttered in the wind, and the sound of Areum’s hoofbeats was at war with the pounding of my heart; I knew this was nothing I had ever imagined myself doing, and at the back of my mind, I was well aware that, should Father be at the village, safe and sound, this was all for naught and I would simply have made an impulsive decision to leave the village.

Maybe it was I who was going mad with each passing day, and this would be my final undoing.

Oh, how I hated my thoughts sometimes.

But, the persistent voice of my conscience insisted, if Father is indeed out there, finding his way to this strange palace in the mountains, then at least he would not be alone.

That voice was all I clung to - along with the reins - as I urged Areum on.

The forest floor gave way to an uphill ascent into the rocky paths, and I felt my breaths quicken as I was bathed in the last dying light. From up here, I could see the last bit of the sun as it hid behind the hills in the distance, contrasting against the dark, grey clouds that signaled an impending storm, and for a moment, I was transfixed in the beauty of the landscape.

A streak of lightning flashed above the distant horizon, followed by a roll of thunder that thrummed across the vast mountain, sending a ripple of shudders through my body.

I had never seen such beauty, not even from our village, and perhaps, if I had never left, whatever sights I would imagine were from the stories I was told.

A kind of sadness passed through me then, knowing that, with me being a girl and unable to be a Merchant, I would never be able to leave our village, and its provincial life. Perhaps if I didn’t put up much of a fight against my stepmother and her notions of female propriety, and allowed myself to be matchmade with any of her chosen bachelors, I would never have seen a grand sunset such as this.

Maybe Father’s disappearance was a kind of sign from above, a brief respite or blessing from the dullness of a villager’s life.

Tearing my eyes away from the sunset, I stared up ahead as Areum began to slow down from the efforts of galloping uphill. There were few trees here, just a stretch of road snaking up the mountain, and I prayed that Father had walked these same roads, and these would lead me right to him and not an abandoned village teeming with wild mountain wolves.

As if to agree, thunder boomed across the sky, closer this time.

Areum seemed to detect my uncertainty, and she let out a soft whinny, startling me from my anxious nerves.

I leaned forward, patting her between the ears. “It’s going to be alright,” I said softly, turning back to see the sun for some comfort.

But it was as if it was never there; the sky had changed, and as the seconds pass, it had taken a significantly darker tone.

There’s no time to be mesmerized now, Eunji. If you can’t find the palace now, you’re done for once the darkness settles.

The path continued through a wall of vines and trees, and I slowed to a stop.

Getting off the horse, I walked up to the foliage, unsheathing my sword. As I was about to slice through the hanging leaves, I paused.

Someone had used their hands to tear the leaves, I thought, seeing the tangle of vines at my feet. Someone was here, and these are still fresh.

Could it be?

I held the sword, hacking my way through the greenery, feeling the branches claw at my hanbok, its sharp fingers snagging against the fabric and my hair as I swung my brother’s sword furiously.

When I was satisfied, I hurried back to Areum, taking the reins and leading us both into the verdure.

And it was then that I saw it. The palace in the mountains, shrouded in the shadows of twilight save for the twin torches at its main gates. In the dark, I could make out the sinister form of the palace, with its high walls, the towering pagodas behind the gates, and the way it seemed to be swallowed by the wilderness around it.

I in a breath. Father was telling the truth.

Despite the fact that it was most likely haunted, the flaming torches hanging over the gates gave me hope that there was at least some kind of life inside.

I stood in front of the gates, about to see if they would give under my weight, but something crunched under my shoe and I looked down, frowning as I crouched to get a better look.

It was only when I picked it up, holding it up to the light, did I recognize the fishing bait that belonged to my brother. It was the one my father would always use for his fishing line, and had claimed he had bought it from someone in the Capital, in exchange for one of my handkerchiefs. He claimed that he never missed a catch with this bait.

Father and Hoseok had gone fishing this morning.

What were the odds of finding it out here, right outside a mysterious palace built into the mountain?

Before I could think of anything else, one of the gates creaked open slightly, much to my surprise, almost as if it was expecting me.

A shiver ran down my spine but I shoved down the sensation of being watched as I stepped through the crack in the door, stuffing the fishing bait into my pocket.

Father is here.

And he left you a clue.

Whatever happens from here on, Eunji, you have to be brave.

Do it for Father.

All at once I was in a courtyard that spanned a good deal of space, probably a dozen times of the one in our house, and the squarish cloisters were dimly lit with more torches.

If Father hadn’t lied about the palace, what about the monstrous beast? Could I reconcile with the fact that it is a half-man, half-monster?

Keep your wits about you, Eunji.

I took out my sword, hearing the sickening screech of metal that filled the silence with a weight that sent me clinching.

I held my breath, listening for any sound, but it appeared that I was alone.

I walked on, holding it in front of me as I followed the corridor, my insides humming with adrenaline as I walked deeper and deeper into the palace.

The cloisters gradually became warmer the closer I walked to its center, and I could hear muffled male voices just ahead, around the corner. Whoever it was, they seemed to be walking, and by the looks of it, they were coming this way.

“…is out of his mind!” a frustrated voice hissed.

“Now, don’t you worry about that,” a matronly voice replied reassuringly, “He always does as he pleases. It’s always been that way-”

I held my breath, leaning against the wall.

This is it, Eunji.

“You don’t understand,” the first voice continued, “This is going to be the end of-“

I stepped out behind the corner, startling the duo – a man and a woman – as I brandished the sword in front of me, sending the man falling backwards onto the ground.

“What in heavens!” the woman cried out, as the man let out a frightened yelp, “Seok Jin, get up, for goodness’ sake, it’s just a girl!”

Just a girl?

Holding my sword out, I pointed it at them. “Put your hands up where I can see them!” I shouted, and as the two exchanged looks, I bared my teeth. “Now!”

How’s this for ‘just a girl’ now, hmm?

To my surprise, the man sniffed imperiously. “Yoo Kyung, is it just me or is this random girl threatening us?”

The audacity!

The woman beside him looked more confused than afraid. “I suppose so,” she said carefully, turning her gaze back to me, “And who are you supposed to be, child?”

“I’ll ask the questions, thank you very much,” I seethed, “A man was here. He is this tall, average build, with a moustache. Where is he?”

“What in the-”

I dug my pocket for the bait, holding it out. “I know you have him. Bring him to me!”

The desperation in my voice was not lost on them; I could see the man staring at me from head to toe with disdain.

“First of all, you are a complete stranger who showed up – out of nowhere, I might add, with absolutely no respect,” the man said, holding his index finger as he nattered on, “And now you’re making demands, who do you think you are?”

This is ridiculous. “The daughter of said prisoner.”

The woman gasped, turning to the man. They had an unspoken exchange, and she turned to me.

“We do have your father, but you can’t see him.”

“Not unless the master consents,” the man added, “And he is in a very foul mood.”

“Well, I don’t care whether he is or isn’t in a foul mood. I’m going to see my father, and you will lead me to him.”

The woman was about to say something, but she was interrupted by the obnoxious man.

“As if! Listen here, young lady, I will not be bossed around by anyone other than the master of this household!”

“Well, take me to him, then. I will take up the demands with him, if you so insist.”

“I would be more than happy to bring you-”

“Seok Jin!”

“She’s asking for it, Yoo Kyung! If she wants to be eaten alive, then that is entirely her decision!”

I stared at him. “Since you won’t cooperate,” I said, “I’ll have to resort to violence.”

He let out a scoff. “Yoo Kyung, are you hearing this? This girl has the audacity to- ahh!”

I feinted a blow, and he let out a startled squeal, before I tugged his arm towards me, holding the sword up to his neck, making him still.

“You talk too much,” I said through gritted teeth, “If you move, I won’t hesitate to put an end to you.”

He looks like he can’t even do anything to save his own skin.

He swallowed.

Turning back to the woman, I pressed my lips together. “Tell the master of the house that if he doesn’t let me see my father, I am going to kill whoever this Seok Jin is.”

“I’m no stranger to the criminal life,” I added, “I’ve done my fair share of fighting and duels.”

“I’m sure,” my hostage drawled, and I gripped my sword, letting it brush his neck just enough to make a cut.

The man, for all his previous bluster, let out a whimper.

Coward.

“Where is he?” I asked her, “This master of yours?”

“He is in his bed-chambers, miss, overlooking the inner courtyard.”

“Lead the way then.”

The woman, Yoo Kyung, blinked. “Right away,” she said, looking at Seok Jin, “Try not to get yourself killed in the meantime.”

“Do I have a choice?”

I dug it closer to his skin. “Maybe you should listen for once.”

There was a storm coming, Min Yoongi had been sure all day.

Even with the moonlight falling over the palace, the clouds had gathered overhead. The lightning had begun to flash every few seconds, followed by the drumroll of thunder that proved his assumptions.

He could almost smell the scent of rain as he stood outside his bedchamber that overlooked his private courtyard, where a single cherry blossom tree stood, its branches shifting ever so often as the wind began to blow harder and harder.

He watched the flower petals fall down the tree, and perhaps, once upon a time, he would have thought it to be a delight, to watch the first blooms of spring unravel before his eyes.

But as it was, having watched that same tree bloom all year round for the past seven years, he was loath to admit that the novelty was starting to wear off.

In fact, it could even be said that Min Yoongi was getting tired of having to watch the cherry blossoms every single time he sat in the veranda of his chamber; perhaps he could do away with it, and plant another tree in its place, preferably something that wouldn’t remind him of spring and all the happiness it was supposed to bring.

But then, even if he were to replace it, whatever tree that would be in its place would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter