Heartbreak of a Prince

Mountain Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Everything comes as it pleases and leaves without a goodbye. Like this, I don't want to love anything.”

IU ft Suga, Eight

Viscount Kim slapped a hand against his forehead. “Did he just faint?” he asked, as the servants who had caught the youth in their arms lowered him down to the ground.

Yoongi was barely listening; his world was spinning, and he was reeling from the appearance of the young man from Eunji’s village.

Couldn’t he just have one day where he could be happy?

“Get him to one of the guest chambers.”

The viscount turned to him sharply. “But Eunji-”

“She’ll notice him soon enough. If not tonight, tomorrow.”

He hated how small his voice sounded.

He hated how nervous he was feeling, knowing that this was not just any ordinary person, but the one person that could shatter everything he was building with Eunji.

As the servants reached to hoist his unexpected visitor up, his body twitched, and he jerked awake, gasping in fright.

Oh, great. He’s awake now.

“Let him go,” he commanded, as the youth stood up, “Welcome back. Namjoon, isn’t it?”

The boy stared at him warily, clearly terrified despite the deadpan tone he had tried to convey. “Yes,” he said, “You know my name.”

“Eunji has told me much about you,” he said, watching Namjoon’s eyes widen, “It appears you have resisted the enchantments and have entered through the veil into the compounds of my palace. What business have you, good sir?”

Namjoon, looking a tad more courageous not that he knew he was exactly where he had hoped to be, stepped forward. “Please, I’ve come to speak with her,” he said, sounding desperate, “Her father is ill, and nothing has helped. He is dying, and all he does is call his daughter’s name over and over again.”

Yoongi refused to acknowledge the look on his viscount’s face.

“And?” he asked emotionlessly, “You wish to bring her home to him, in the hopes that he will somehow see her before he dies?”

Namjoon seemed to shudder under his scrutiny. “Yes,” he said, his voice trembling, “Yes, please.”

He let out a low growl, the sound rippling through the cool night that had been going so well.

It could be a lie, he thought to himself.

Her father is a crook, no matter how noble Eunji has made him to be. It could simply be an elaborate hoax in order to take her back.

But if it truly is a plan, wouldn’t one of her brothers be in this boy’s place?

He had to admit, it was highly suspicious.

But if her father was truly dying, he wouldn’t want to hold her back.

Namjoon looked too much in despair to be lying, and Yoongi knew he barely knew the young man, but he did know that Eunji trusted him as one of her closest friends.

Jealousy and frustration aside, Yoongi wasn’t heartless.

He took a long breath, and noticed his servants collectively watching him in the silence that followed.

They were waiting for him to explode, to bare his teeth and scare the visitor witless before throwing him out and telling him never to return.

He swallowed the lump in his throat, realizing that he wasn’t even close to being angry. Annoyed, yes. Anxious, yes.

But angry? Not even close.

And that was when he realized it.

Eunji had changed him, for the better, and he hadn’t even noticed the significance of it until now.

He took a deep breath. “You’ve travelled a long way. And your clothes are stained with mud,” he said calmly, “My servants can lead you to your quarters where you can change into new clothes. Please, stay the night.”

“I don’t wish to impose-”

“Eunji is asleep,” he interrupted smoothly, “She has had an eventful evening, and is feeling under the weather. Would you rather return home in the dark and come tomorrow?”

Namjoon shook his head, looking bewildered.

Hell, Viscount Kim was looking at him like he had grown a second head.

Yoongi turned to Lady Hong. “Please prepare for our guest his chambers, and make sure his horse is well tended to.”

She bowed. “Yes, Master.”

He nodded, turning to Namjoon. “If you require assistance, my servants are at your disposal,” he said, before turning away.

He spotted the figure disappearing into the Rose Courtyard right away.

His breath caught, and he walked briskly, barely acknowledging the murmur of thanks behind him.

He knew exactly where she would be, and as he threw open the doors to the throne room, she was already waiting for him.

“I see the arrival of your adversary has you disturbed,” she croaked, “What a turn of events, isn’t it, Your Highness?”

“What are you playing at?” he asked, as the door slammed shut behind him.

Lounging on the throne, the witch let out a little cackle, her face half hidden by the hood. “Me? What did I do?”

“So you are telling me you had nothing to do with this?” he asked her, his voice brittle, “You absolve yourself of any responsibility to that boy’s arrival?”

The candlelights in the throne room flickered as she threw back and laughed, the sound like nails scraping across wood. “Ahh, my dear boy,” she sighed, “What he speaks of is true. Her father lies dying as winter draws near, and nothing will bring him solace while his guilt eats him from the inside. There is no respite, no remedy, because the sickness that is slowly killing him is buried deep in his heart of hearts. The only cure is having her in his arms again.”

He felt his heart sink. “You want me to let her go.”

She pointed a bony hand at him. “What I want has nothing to do with your decision.”

There was a rap at the door, and he turned to see Lady Hong enter.

“Your Highness, I thought I heard you in here,” she said, “Who were you talking to?”

Yoongi turned to the throne, seeing it empty. “No one,” he muttered, “Is it just me, or does it feel colder tonight?”

She nodded. “It does.”

He sank to his knees, feeling the thin mat beneath him as he faced the throne. “He was telling the truth,” he murmured sadly, as Lady Hong watched, “I must let her return to her father.”

She shook her head. “You will do no such thing!” she suddenly protested, making him jump in surprise.

He blinked at her outburst.

She had never shouted at him before.

“I’m sorry for being out of line, but I respectfully disagree,” she rebutted, “You’ve made so much progress, Your Highness. Even you’ve changed these past seasons, everyone can see that!”

“Lady Hong-”

She knelt beside him, taking his hands in hers, her eyes glistening with tears. “We’re so close, Yoongi,” she sobbed, sniffling, “We’re so, so close.”

“If it was my father, you’d not think twice in letting me see him before he left us all.”

Her words came out as a plea. “This is different from that, Your Highness, and you know it. We have only a season left before your birthday.”

“She must go. I cannot deny a man’s dying wish. He is more important than I am, who am I to prevent her from being with him?”

His heart shattered at the sight of her crying - he had never seen her cry, or even show any emotion so passionately, and there was nothing that stopped the dam of emotions as he wrapped his arms around her and sighed.

“I’m no longer the selfish boy that I was before she came,” he said softly, comforting her as she broke down, “That itself is cause for celebration, I think. I don’t believe I’ve ever been so calm in my life.”

Despite the face filled with tears, Lady Hong smiled up at him. “You’ve come a long way, Yoongi. But I implore you, please, rethink your decision.”

He shook his head somberly. “I’ve never been so sure in my entire life.”

The sound of the arrow hitting the target board was a satisfying one, probably because most of my arrows actually hit it this time.

I lowered my bow. “That was a terrible shot,” I said with a sigh, as Soonshim - who was sitting on a nearby bench - laughed quietly, “Shut up, Soonshim. You had your turn.”

Viscount Kim chuckled. “What are you talking about, that was good enough.”

I stared at him like he had grown another head. “Is something wrong with you today?” I asked, going to him and feeling his forehead, “Are you sick?”

He blinked. “Why do you ask?” he asked, as I pulled my hand away.

Soonshim and I exchanged a look. “You said I was good enough. You never say that. Did you hit your head or something?” I questioned him, suspicious.

“I- of course not.”

I reached for my last arrow and nocked it in my bow. “Well, for a bad shot, you saying it was good is clearly strange to me,” I told him, taking aim.

He didn’t say anything as I shot my arrow.

It hit the target board, close to the middle, and I grinned. “That’s better,” I said, turning to him, “Don’t you agree?”

“Could you better,” the boy replied, “Maybe if you went a bit to the left-”

“Shut up, Soonshim, let the adults talk,” I cut him off.

The boy stuck out his tongue.

Viscount Kim tutted. “You’d have thought the both of you were the same age, the way you act,” he said, as we walked to the board, “Definitely an improvement since the last time you trained.”

“Now, that’s more like you,” I said, plucking my arrows out, “Oh no.”

“What happened?”

I held up an arrow. “Another one’s damaged.”

Viscount Kim took it from me, holding it up. “Hmm,” he only said.

I frowned. “Hmm?” I repeated, “What does that mean?”

His gaze went to mine. “Stop what you’re doing,” he told me, “Follow me to the Phoenix Hall.”

“But what about-”

“Soonshim, clear the arrows.”

“Why me?” came the protest.

I rolled my eyes. “Because you’re the youngest.”

“Not fair!”

“What are you going to do about it?” I teased, “Cry to your mother?”

Viscount Kim patted my shoulder. “I swear, Eunji, you take every situation to rile the boy up.”

I pouted. “He’s been lurking around the palace and jumping out from every corner trying to scare the wits out of me,” I whined, as we entered the Inner Courtyard, “He’s stalking me around like a little ghost.”

“Maybe it’s because you keep walking along the corridors in the late hours of the mornings.”

“I can’t sleep!” I protested, “Besides, what is he doing staying up past his bedtime?”

The viscount shook his head. “Oh, Eunji, I will miss your sharp tongue.”

“You talk as if I’m leaving. I’m here to stay.”

He gave me a look, before eventually shaking his head, walking up the steps of the Phoenix Hall. “Come on.”

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, following him. “You know,” I said, entering the empty hall, “Yesterday was magical. I’ve never quite seen anything like it.”

“The theater, you mean?”

I nodded, twirling around on the smooth wooden floor. “The lanterns, the music, the dancing, the drama,” I gushed, “I love watching the festival performances back home. It’s one of the things I always look forward to each time.”

“That’s good to hear. Lady Hong and the others took hours to hang the draperies and lanterns. You don’t even want to know how long it took to rehearse the performances here without you knowing.”

“I’m a very oblivious person,” I admitted sheepishly.

“Precisely why it was easier to prepare,” he said, “Here you go.”

I turned, letting out a gasp.

He was holding a red bow, with a matching holder filled with red tipped arrows. “You passed your tests with flying colors, and I wanted to give you something that would appeal to your little sadistic nature,” he said, “Yoongi is sentimental, but between you and me, little Miss Warrior, we know your true nature, don’t we?”

I took it from him, still speechless. “Well, Viscount Kim, I really don’t know what to say, except...” I said, looking up at him with a grin, “...you are absolutely right.”

He folded his arms over his chest. “Hmph. Where’s the ‘You shouldn’t have given me this!’ act you gave yesterday, hmm?” he accused, as I caressed t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter