007

What is Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The court goes well—for the most part—in Joohyun’s favor. Her husband side and his lawyer appeared to be quite hard-headed but at the same time they’re also struggling in winning the case. It was clear that he wanted all his wealth to not be shared with his wife and that he wanted their child to be in his custody, mainly because he’s the father and he can provide their child. It would have been a really great argument if he wasn’t jobless for months and not to mention he also stopped providing the family all the necessary needs.

This is where Joohyun and her lawyer step in for defense.

The proof that he’s been drinking and neglecting their family were inevitable.

They also brought up the fact that Bogum has been bringing different women and sleep with them in their house where their daughter and wife were present. It was like a dead-end for Joohyun’s husband. It’s like he’s in no place to make demands of anything because of all the wrong things he did.

And just when Joohyun and Seulgi thought they’re winning the case, Bogum caught the way Seulgi smiles at Joohyun and how his wife returns it. It was as if he just realized something, like a missing memory just decided to come back up when he turns to his own lawyer. Grabbing his wrist with a tight grip and a determined look on his face.

“It’s her. I remember now…”

“Are you sure?” The lawyer takes a quick look to the opponent’s team. “Because if you do, I can call her up the stands and maybe turn the table around for us.”

“I’m sure. Do it. She’s the one my wife cheated on with.”

“Kim-byeonhosanim, it’s your turn.” The judge said.

“Yes, Your Honor, thank you.” The said lawyer stands up as he buttoned his blazer, glancing a little at Seulgi before turning his attention to the judge. “Your Honor, I would like to call my client, Mr. Park Bogum, to take up the stand.”

To be completely honest, Seulgi was surprised about this. Of all things, she didn’t expect that the opponent will pull this stunt. She wondered what is it that they have up their sleeves to go against Joohyun?

It turns out he was putting out a bait—a trap, perhaps.

Or maybe it’s just a tiny detail that Seulgi missed.

And that was their history.

So, Seulgi tries to at least prevent it. “Objection, narrative.” She had a gut feeling this will only put her in a more difficult position as Joohyun’s lawyer.

“Your Honor, we should be able to talk about a little of their past when it involves the said lawyer, her client and my client. Unless, Ms. Kang is hiding something and afraid that it’ll be out here in this court room.” This makes all the attention fall upon Seulgi and for once, she feels a little cornered.

With a small frown on her face, she says, “This is not about me, Your Honor.”

“Then, I see no problem.” The judge said. “Overrule, you may proceed Kim-byeonhosanim.”

It was Seulgi, Joohyun and Bogum’s history back in high school, all the way back to fourteen years ago. Bogum remembered Seulgi, especially the fight they had, which also turned out to be the iceberg of Joohyun and Seulgi’s friendship. The fight that led Seulgi to let herself get hurt, the fight that led Joohyun to accidentally found out about Seulgi’s feelings for her, the fight that led Seulgi to unwillingly confessed and left Joohyun once the pain became so unbearably difficult for Seulgi to handle.

In Bogum’s memory, Seulgi just suddenly appeared as if she despised him.

But everything happened nearly a decade and a half years ago, it shouldn’t affect the case they’re dealing with right now, right? Well, unfortunately, they manage to tie up their old fight to this divorce case because Bogum also remembered Seulgi a few weeks ago, the first time they met again after Seulgi went away for fourteen years.

And their meeting was quite eventful.

Because they fought again, only that time Bogum wasn’t sober at all but Seulgi is.

Bogum wasn’t the only one who remembered, that’s for sure. Both Seulgi and Joohyun were there, completely sober and aware of what they were doing—what Seulgi did to him. And Seulgi cursed mentally because she really didn’t think he would remember. He didn’t even recognize Seulgi at all and sure he tried to hurt Seulgi and Joohyun that day but barely threw a powerful enough punch because he was intoxicated.

Seulgi, of all people, should be well-aware that she was in no place to hurt him unless he seriously endangering their lives. But in this case, Bogum was just so out of it he could barely even stand on his feet without stumbling and Seulgi punched him so hard in the face out of anger—bottled up anger from years ago.

This whole thing completely puts Seulgi in a difficult spot.

And just when they think it couldn’t get worse, Seulgi was called to the stand after Bogum.

Seulgi let out a mental sigh.

Joohyun, on the other hand, was panicking. She wondered why is Seulgi being called up for the stand? What does her marriage fallout have anything to do with Seulgi? She couldn’t lie that it scares her and she couldn’t help but show it on her face as she looks at Seulgi. But the latter seemed to seen it coming her way, so she gives a reassuring smile before standing up.

“Very well.” She said.

At first, the questions were just confirmation of all the things Bogum said.

That, yes, she and Bogum had an ugly fight back in High School.

That, yes, even when it’s irrelevant Seulgi did start the fight first.

That, yes, she also punched Bogum that time when they met again—but she reasoned that it was self-defense because he did try to land a hand on Seulgi. Twice, though he failed to even leave as much as a scratch. But it wasn’t enough, it’s not enough at all because this only prove that Seulgi is related—at least acted bias with Joohyun. Joohyun is her best friend after all, of course if Seulgi had to pick side, she will choose Joohyun.

And then the lawyer asks, “Ms. Kang, do you have feelings for your client?”

Out of conscious, Seulgi gulps.

She remained calm, but her mind is haywire.

She took an oath, to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

And the truth is, yes. Yes, she has feelings for Joohyun.

She always has.

But this won’t be the first time she’s lying.

So, with her remaining calm demeanor, she says, “No, I don’t.”

Seulgi thinks this is starting to go too far.

“You don’t? Okay, unfortunately, I’m not quite convinced because my client believe that his wife cheated on him…” He turns to Seulgi, face full of accusations towards her. “…with you, Ms. Kang.”

Right, this is too far.

“That’s a complete hearsay. You can’t even prove it, can you?”

And before the lawyer can say anything back, Seulgi stands up from her seat.

Like she said, moments ago, this is not about her.

“Your Honor, I think this is crossing the line. It’s irrelevant to our clients’ divorce case. What my client has with me…” Seulgi looks at Joohyun who can’t stop fidgeting on her seat, their eyes met and Seulgi’s jaw clenched. “—was nothing but friendship. If you want to charge me with an assault, so be it, but right now we’re dealing with a divorce and whether or not the opposing client is capable of having the custody of their daughter. So, can we please go back to the actual on-going case now?”

And with that said, Seulgi was off the stand and they all took a fifteen-minute break.

Seulgi nearly lose her cool in that court room.

How the hell did her feelings for Joohyun could interfere Joohyun’s divorce case? It could’ve gone messy if she hadn’t dragged the whole thing back to where it supposed to be. Even though everything is okay now because they can’t prove Joohyun is cheating on Bogum with her lawyer—because Joohyun never did. She can barely talk about feelings with Seulgi, so it’s just impossible.

“Seulgi, what the hell was that?” Those were the first question coming out of Seungwan’s lips the moment she entered the room. It’s one of the rare moments where Seungwan lost her cool because she no longer addresses Seulgi with honorifics. She tends to forget that Seulgi is practically her boss but Seulgi doesn’t mind. Most of the time it helps bringing Seulgi back to the important matters at hand.

“I’m sorry, I forgot about—”

“You forgot? You hit your client’s husband until he nearly passed out while he was clearly intoxicated. They almost knew you have feelings for your client! You were accused of having an affair—god!” Seungwan sighs audibly, running her hand through her hair. “This… This is what I was talking about, Seulgi. This is why you shouldn’t have taken this case. You’re too involved with your client. It’s not going to look good at all. I bet despite what you said earlier, they’re now still questioning your motives in defending your client.”

Seulgi sighs.

She, of all people, knew it very well. w

She was about to apologize again and try her best to turn the table around, they can push the harmful and violent things did to Joohyun, not only physically but also mentally. Unfortunately, Seungwan has another plan for that. It is a safer way, Seungwan thought.

"You're off the case. I called for a little help and she's going to take it from here." Seungwan said.

Joohyun, who was silent all the while, starts to speak up. "No, what— What do you mean she's off the case? She's my lawyer and you're... aren't you Seulgi's secretary? Why are you acting like you're her boss?"

Well, that outburst was quite expected but still it was a little surprising.

"Ms. Park," Wendy doesn't even spare Joohyun a glance as she talks. "I can be her boss if the situation needs me be. It's rare, very rare, this happens. But it can happen and it is happening now as we speak."

Joohyun was starting to get a little frustrated. Seungwan still hates her guts. "Seulgi, why aren't you saying anything?"

"She's right." Seulgi suddenly said, her tone calm and there's a tint of regret too. "Because Seungwan was right. I'm too involved, personally, and that's not okay."

She pause for a little, finally looking back at Joohyun.

"A friend of mine will be the one to get your case done. Don't worry, it's not like your case is that complicated. She'll be able to win your case."

But isn't having another lawyer to take her case means she will have to pay for that lawyer? Seulgi don't charge her with anything because she did it willingly to help Joohyun. But if this new lawyer requires Joohyun to pay them, then that means Joohyun wouldn't be able to proceed because she doesn't have that much money.

"You still won't be charge with anything, if that's what you're worried about." Seungwan suddenly said. "The new lawyer is s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter