001

What is Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As usual, Kang Seulgi always have a basketball practice after school. It was three times a week practice, but it’s different for Seulgi because she has her own personal reason to schedule her own practices nearly every single day.

“Seulgi-yah!” The girl’s voice called out, a voice that Seulgi never bored to hear.

She’s her best friend, Bae Joohyun.

“Are you not done practicing yet?” She asked, watching Seulgi still in her training jersey complete with her basketball shorts and a pair of basketball shoes. Very sweaty as well.

“Nope. Just finished. Let’s go home.”

Seulgi raises her hand up to wipe the sweat around her face and then took her bag, she was ready to head home but then she looks at the other girl with her long straight raven hair. Joohyun’s eyes seem to be searching something.

“Hyun?” Seulgi called.

The said girl was startled.

“Something you’re looking for?” She asked.

But rather than giving an answer, Joohyun’s face turned red.

“N, Nothing. It’s nothing.” Joohyun said whilst chuckling.

Ah, it really shows. Just like Seulgi, if she starts stuttering, then she must be nervous and if not then it means she’s lying. And this one was a clear lie, because Seulgi knows Joohyun wished to see someone, a guy, her new boyfriend. Seulgi sighs and Joohyun wasn’t able to see how Seulgi’s face turned a little disappointed.

“He said he needs to head home first. I told him to wait for you, but he said it was important and had to leave soon.” Seulgi explained.

In truth, a part of her was hurt, annoyed and refused to deliver her boyfriend’s message to Joohyun…but what else can she do. Joohyun always look so happy every time her boyfriend’s name was heard.

Hurt.

Because in reality, Seulgi likes Joohyun, really like her…

Sadly, she was the only knows about her feelings.

And to look at Joohyun’s disappointed face was clearly hurt Seulgi more. Even though Joohyun tried to hide it by throwing out various of topics to talk about, Seulgi still can see her disappointment.

“Seulgi-yah? Did you listen to me?” Joohyun stops right in front of Seulgi and gazes straight into Seulgi’s eyes that were busy staring far away at nothing.

Seulgi wasn’t daydreaming. She listened to every word that comes out of Joohyun’s lips. She even knows what to answer to her. It’s just…her heart broke first.

“Hyun,” She called.

“Mmm?” Joohyun smiles, waiting for Seulgi to finish her sentence.

“Want to stop by your favorite restaurant?”

Hearing Seulgi’s invitation, Joohyun never said no to it.

“Yes, c’mon!” Joohyun cheered as she reaches Seulgi’s arm and pulled her to walk faster towards the direction of her favorite restaurant.

As a best friend that’s been spending nearly all of her life with Joohyun, of course Seulgi can easily memorize what are the things that can bring up Joohyun’s mood back. But when it comes to Joohyun… Ah, she was quite easy to please with food, and it’s just one of those things that’s a little weird but also not so weird. Joohyun is one of those girls that would eat so much food and not gain weight—at least not excessively. Thought she eat a lot, she also maintains such a great diet and sometimes Seulgi would be concerned but turns out those things work out just fine with Joohyun.

Thus, Joohyun still won’t throw away any chance of getting treated at her favorite restaurant. And like it was mentioned, she was easy to please with food, especially when Seulgi was paying. Seulgi never limit how much portion Joohyun would like to eat. It was simply because seeing Joohyun’s smile is enough to make Seulgi happy…even when it’s still hurt a little.

“Seulgi? Why are you spacing out? Is something the matter? We’re here, you know.”

Seulgi was startled. How stubborn that she let her emotion took over herself until she spaced out like that.

“Ah, it’s nothing. Just had a bit stomach cramp. I kinda drank an expired milk earlier, hahaha,” Seulgi said sheepishly.

But it was a lie. A clear lie.

“Again? You’re always so stubborn. Do I also need to check on your fridge every now and then so you won’t be stubborn anymore?”

A perfect lie. Always perfect. And maybe it’s the only clean lie, so clean and clear that Joohyun never put any suspicion on it.

Seulgi only shrugs. “Well, go ahead and order. Get as much as you like. My treat,” She said as she ruffles Joohyun’s hair. “I won’t tell him that you normally eat a lot.” She whispered, successfully turning Joohyun’s face into a reddish color.

After a little more convincing, Joohyun went ahead to step into the waiting line while Seulgi occupy a table on the corner of the restaurant, their favorite spot. But the pain came back, stronger. Why not? Of all sides of Joohyun, all of them, Seulgi knows and understands and tolerates every single one of them. Even so Joohyun still won’t open her heart for her. No. Seulgi was just stupid for putting out her feelings for Joohyun.

Seulgi looks out the window where people and cars passing by.

Ever since Joohyun started dating a friend of hers—in which the whole thing was a success because of Seulgi’s help—she started to space out more often. Rather than letting go and burying down her feelings, instead it feels like she was more attracted to Joohyun. Annoyed. How can she not? Joohyun didn’t changed at all with Seulgi, maybe even better now.

Seulgi started to think, Maybe it would have been better if she hates me…

Not long after she thought of that, her mind changed the moment Joohyun took a seat in front of her with a few bowls of the special ramyeon.

Joohyun grins. “Seulgi-yah, why did you suddenly want to treat me? Were you chosen as starter again?”

Seulgi only casually answers, “No, I just wanted to treat you is all. Can’t I? Besides, you like it, don’t you?” The respond was just as expected, nodding enthusiastically with her beautiful smile, is full of the food.

Cute.

“Yes, I really like when Seulgi treat me—”

“Aish, just finish all of the food,” Seulgi said as she pours down a glass of water for Joohyun.

Seulgi can only giggle, this side of Joohyun is quite rare. It looks like there’s really only Seulgi that knows and only she’s allowed to know. As Seulgi remembered, Joohyun tends to get shy and flustered with her boyfriend, weird, and she always try to protect her image around him. Hm… No matter what you do, you’re already beautiful, Hyun. She mentally admitted, her eyes could only gaze at Joohyun who enjoys her food.

As she was enjoying the sight, Joohyun suddenly leaned forward with the ramyeon in-between the chopsticks and aiming it towards Seulgi’s mouth.

“C’mon, aaaaa…”

Seulgi was startled but went along and accepted it.

Smiling in her heart, Seulgi knows this is just normal for Joohyun. Normal for the two of them. Feeding each other in public. Seulgi was surely happy, no matter how full she is, if Joohyun was there and offer to feed her, she would mostly definitely not refuse. Ah…suddenly the taste of the ramyeon feels way better in .

Seulgi knows well how Joohyun focuses whenever she eats. So, she fished out her phone and opened her camera app, then she took Joohyun’s happy face that Seulgi thinks it’s the most beautiful. No. That doesn’t mean Joohyun’s face when she’s smiling or laughing isn’t beautiful. She’s beautiful even when she’s frowning. It’s just her expression when she eats is the look that probably she would only show to Seulgi with no hesitation.

Knowing a photo of her eating is being saved in Seulgi’s phone, she started putting a scowling face.

“Yah, don’t just suddenly take my picture! You could’ve asked me.”

Seulgi smiles with her eyes, answering “That’s so last year. If you’re aware, it won’t be as good.”

“Good my …” Joohyun muttered with a cute pout. “I must look so ugly. Stupid bear.”

Seulgi couldn’t help herself seeing how cute Joohyun pouts like that. She reached out both of Joohyun’s cheeks, lightly pinching them. “Stop pouting and finish your food. The sun is setting soon.”

Having Seulgi pinching her cheeks Joohyun instead smiles widely and lets out her sweet melodic laugh. Watching the sight before her, Seulgi can only caress her heart mentally, trying to calm her heart from exploding.

“I’ll go pay for us,” Seulgi said as she stands up and head to the cashier.

Seulgi ends up ordering three of the special carrot cake for takeout. Obviously, they’re all for Joohyun. Seulgi knows Joohyun was still upset that she couldn’t meet her boyfriend today, and really only her favorite food can make Joohyun feel better. Stupid? Very. But this is really the only thing Seulgi could do for her.

After taking out her orders and paid for everything, Seulgi walked back to their table.

“Here, snacks for you at home.” She said as she put the bag filled with her favorite carrot cakes next to Joohyun.

Joohyun who’s already used to this certain behavior where Seulgi would spoil her all the time, obviously didn’t refuse. She was only smiling so widely at Seulgi and stood up from her seat, ready to leave the restaurant.

The two walked out, heading towards the subway station. Seulgi’s house isn’t that far from Joohyun’s, only a few blocks away and both of their families knows that the two of them have been close friends since they were little kids. So, even when they come back home late, as long as Joohyun was with Seulgi, her parents won’t worry too much. Seulgi’s parents? They trust her that she can take care of herself well enough. She attended self-defense class not just for fun anyway. It was also a way to take care the love of her life because since they entered Junior High, Joohyun’s older brother, Jonghyun, passed away due to a certain incident.

Ah, but it looks like Joohyun doesn’t really need Seulgi that much for her safety. Joohyun has a boyfriend now, Park Bogum. Not to mention how he’s almost as ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter