015

What is Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the incident, Seulgi stopped coming over to Joohyun’s place.

They haven’t texted each other.

The last time they saw each other, Seulgi was still trying to take care of Joohyun walking around the apartment. None of them talked about what happened at the balcony that day, Seulgi didn’t even try to bring up the topic. When Joohyun finally recovered, Seulgi came up to her to talk about her going away.

Joohyun was astonished.

Seulgi can see the shock, the slight panic and confusion written in her face and body language. Joohyun asked her why Seulgi wanted to leave and why it’s so suddenly to which Seulgi told her that she’s been planning to do this since the incident at the rooftop. Joohyun couldn’t react at first, too shocked when Seulgi mentioned what had happened between them, she was reminded of all the things she told Seulgi and what Seulgi told her and god, Seulgi told her so many things involving her feelings. She remembered it being too much that all Joohyun could do was cry harder and apologize, hoping all that was at least enough to soothe the pain Seulgi has because of her.

But she knew they’re all far from enough.

“I need to take some time away, Joohyun… I don’t think things are working out right now. I hope you understand. I can’t seem to think clearly around you and I swear it’s not you, it’s me. I did this to myself… To us.”

Because as she watched Seulgi trying to avoid looking at her in the eyes, Joohyun knew she was still hurting, yet she’s blaming herself for the pain. And Joohyun hated that, she hates that she was the cause of it all and there’s nothing she can do now to help or lessen the pain. So, with a heavy heart and the hesitation, Joohyun agreed to let Seulgi go. Maybe that’s the one thing she can do to help Seulgi and even herself get through to whatever they’re going through right now.

However, she couldn’t deny the hesitation that came from her insecurity, thinking of the posibility of having Seulgi leave and not come back to at all, for good—only it wouldn’t be anything close to ‘good’ for Joohyun if that were to happen. She wondered if Seulgi can tell what Joohyun was worried and scared about because she took a few steps toward Joohyun and pull her into her arms gently.

“I’ll come back.” She promised.

Seulgi didn’t tell her when or how long she’s going to be away, but Joohyun’s worries lessened when Seulgi told her she’ll come back. Joohyun willed herself to not demand Seulgi to tell her more specifics about it, where she’ll go to, is she going to be alone, because if Seulgi’s not telling her any details, then it means she doesn’t want Joohyun to know and Joohyun knew better than to pry further.

And now, a week has passed.

Joohyun have been trying to get through her days without Seulgi’s presence. It’s a little hard to adjust when Seulgi used to be a part of Joohyun’s everyday life—and not just her alone, her daughter too.

Yerim wasn’t quite happy with Seulgi’s decision.

Seulgi told her she’s leaving because of important work, when asked where she’ll go to, Seulgi dodged it by saying she isn’t supposed to tell anyone. When asked when she’ll be leaving, Seulgi said tomorrow and when Yerim’s eyes starting to tear up, Seulgi was so close to postpone her leave for a few more days—maybe a week, she thought she should’ve told Yerim a week prior.

Yerim’s mother came to the rescue before she can change her mind.

Seulgi promised Yerim the same thing she did to her mother and that is to come back. But of course, with extra promises too, like taking Yerim out and get her anything she wants.

That night, Yerim refused to sleep anywhere Seulgi isn’t.

That’s also when Joohyun sees how much her daughter get so attached with Seulgi.

“We’re back!” The voice wakes Joohyun from her train of thoughts.

She put the knife down, quickly wash her hands in the sink and approach the front door. There she finds her daughter who was soon running towards her with a happy smile. It seems Yerim had a pretty good day at school.

“There’s this new girl at school! She’s so friendly and we play together aaalll daaayy~” The little girl explained excitedly, spreading her arms in both directions to show her mother that she had so much fun with the new student at school. Joohyun couldn’t hold back her smile and little laughs, she loves seeing her daughter happy like this. “Her name’s Saeron and pretty and so smart. She answers all the questions ssaem asked.”

“Really?” Joohyun can barely hide her surprised reaction. “She sounds amazing, Yerimmie…”

“She is!! I think she also has superpower…”

The mother frowns a little at this, but she was quick to mask it off. “Superpower, huh?”

“Yerim’s probably telling the truth.”

Joohyun chuckles, “Well, in that case you should hurry and wash up so you can tell me more about your new superhero friend over dinner.” Joohyun grins before standing up, winking as she says, “I made your favorite.”

It successfully makes her daughter’s eyes twinkle in excitement, the corner of her lips stretches to both sides forming a big happy smile before she starts sprinting into her room, picking out her own clothes.

“Yah, you shouldn’t run—” Before the other adult can finish, the little girl was already sprinting again towards the bathroom, closing the door quickly. “—around.” She sighed. “I swear that kid has unlimited energy in that tiny little body.”

“I can totally vouch for that.” Joohyun chuckles, walking over to the kitchen to finish up her cooking.

The other adult followed her, peaking over her shoulder. “Wow, that smells really good, unnie.”

“Yeah?” Joohyun smiles, feeling proud of herself. “I did learn from the best cook.”

“Nah, I believe you’re just a very brilliant student.”

“Well,” She smirks, “As a matter of fact, I was pretty smart.”

“Look at you being all smug~ Bet you’re also pretty popular with that pretty face.”

“I did end up dating the most popular boy there—”

“—and managed to attract the other most popular girl, too?”

“Mmhm,” She hums, knowing that the other woman knows exactly who they’ve been mentioning about. “I think you’d be one of the popular ones too.”

“Yeah? Would I even be popular enough to get your attention?”

“Well…” Joohyun almost pause at that, a bit taken aback, but she managed to keep her composure. “Most likely? It’s not really that hard to get my attention since I am an observant person. I would’ve noticed you anyway.”

“Ah… But I don’t think it’ll be good though.”

“Why?”

“I might’ve also fallen for you like Seulgi did.”

The pause that comes instantly after those words came out of the other woman’s lips was hard to ignore. For a second there, she doesn’t know how to react but then she heard a small chuckle, so she was quick to reciprocate it. It was all a joke anyway.

Joohyun giggles, admitting that she can never win when it comes to this with the other woman.

“Okay, that’s enough. You win, Seungwan…”

Seungwan laughs. “Yah, unnie, you almost fell for it, didn’t you?”

“Yah, it’s not funny!”

“It is! Wow, unnie… What were you thinking earlier?”

Joohyun’s small giggle subsided slowly, shaking her head from side to side. “Nothing, I guess you really just caught off guard there. It’s kinda hard to process, you know… Knowing how we started everything off the first time you knew who I was. I mean, you were so ready to kill me right there and then.”

Joohyun can still remember the first time Seungwan really talk to her.

She was being so defensive about Seulgi and it seemed like nothing Joohyun can say to make Seungwan think otherwise. Joohyun was in the wrong and Seulgi was the victim to all of it and because Seulgi refused to fend for herself, Seungwan felt the need to step in for her boss. From then on, things only get worse to the point where Seungwan lost it and had to give Joohyun a piece of her piercing slap in the face.

It’s a little funny and ironic seeing how the two are now ‘friends’.

Thanks to Seulgi who left and asked Seungwan to ‘look after’ Joohyun and her daughter, the two ended up having a quite serious four-eyes talk about everything that went on. It was a long talk, but good things came out of it. They’ve come to a middle point where Seungwan can finally hear Joohyun’s side of the whole drama. Seungwan still blamed her for making stupid choices and wasted years with her scumbag ex-husband. But she can also understand now where Joohyun came from.

Her family was conservative, it wouldn’t be a good sight for them if Joohyun come out as anything but straight. Still though, Seungwan thought Joohyun could’ve tried harder to get Seulgi back. Seulgi deserved that much.

Even so, Seungwan’s nature is to have a kind heart and no matter how pissed she is knowing all the things Joohyun did to Seulgi, she’s also aware how much Seulgi loves this woman. That’s why after a long night of consideration, Seungwan decided to try to get along with the single mother. It wasn’t easy, especially when she still had to accept Joohyun and her decisions. And Joohyun can understand too if Seungwan was still a little too pissed with her. She realized now that what she’s been doing to Seulgi wasn’t right and she’s a bit upset too that Seulgi never called her out for it. Well, not until that day where everything came undone before the two of them on the rooftop.

So, this is where they are.

Friends.

What’s surprising the two of them is the fact that they got along well. Seungwan was funny and she seem to always find a good time to tease Joohyun. At first, Seungwan can say it was a slip-up and Joohyun was caught a bit off guard, but she thought Seungwan was joking so she played along. And ever since that, things just go like that between the two of them. Harmlessly throwing flirts toward each other while things stay platonic.

Seulgi knows about them being friends.

Obviously, Seungwan told Seulgi about it. The lawyer wasn’t exactly going off-the-grid, she is still in contact with Seungwan mostly about work-related stuff. Other than that, Seungwan will only answer things Seulgi asked about Joohyun. Seungwan believe it would be better if she doesn’t tell Seulgi too much about Joohyun, after all she’s going away to cool off from any Joohyun-related stuff.

“Hey, um… Have you been…” Joohyun started, hesitating while trying to finish her cooking.

“Have I been what?”

She bit her lower lip lightly, wondering if she should ask what she wanted to ask.

Seungwan let her take her time, naturally grabbing another knife and start chopping ingredients as well. “Unnie, what’re you going to say?” She tried again without looking, she sensed how Joohyun was hesitating. “Have I been talking to Seulgi? Is that what you mean?”

Joohyun froze, her head quickly turns toward Seungwan who’s still focusing on cutting the vedgetables. “H, how… What are you… I mean, I didn’t… It’s just…” She stuttered before sighing deeply, accepting her defeat.

The lawyer’s assistant chuckles, “It’s kinda obvious, you know.” She looks back at the single mother, shrugging with a ‘meh’ expression. “I can see you’ve been wanting to ask that for a whole week.”

She couldn’t help the embarrassment for being caught not once but since the start of the week.

“And why didn’t you tell me anything then, if you knew?” She pressed, partly annoyed too.

Seungwan chuckles again, with more amusement this time. “Well, I’m not here to be the messenger between you two."

“What— You could’ve just told me how she’s doing—”

“And you could’ve just asked me.” She interjected, turning off the stove before turning back to Joohyun with a smile. “Better yet, you can just ask her yourself.”

“I… I can? Are you… Are you sure that’s okay?”

“Mmhm, it’s been two weeks too. I’m actually surprised she can stay out that long.”

“But do you think…” Joohyun brings her hand close to , teeth already chewing on her nails, a habit she always has whenever she’s thinking hard or getting nervous about something. “Do you think she still remember me…?”

Seungwan rol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter