xiusoo - Memories of the past

2019 - EXO short stories


 

It shouldn’t faze Kyungsoo to see Minseok in the cafe near his workplace. That was his favorite place after all. It shouldn’t faze him to see Minseok sitting near the window at the far left, away from the door, because, “hey, I just hate being cold.” And Kyungsoo can see him shiver as he says so, pulling his black jacket closer to his body and picking up his cup of coffee, drinking it as if it wasn’t hot. 

So many things shouldn’t faze Kyungsoo in that moment. 

Like he himself sitting down near the front, closer to the door because, “Minseok we’re just so different. I like to feel the chilly air on my feet, like it because it’s burning in here. We could use a little air.” And he would open his jacket a little bit, take his scarf of even, and he and Minseok would offer their argument as to where to sit. 

 

It should come with no surprise that Kim Minseok, short as he, always cheerful with a crooked smile and eyes like that cat of his, is sitting that far with someone else. Laughing as he did with Kyungsoo once upon a time, touching that man’s arm, lightly wiping little nothings on his forehead as he did for Kyungsoo many years ago.

‘Has it really been that long?’ 

“Huh? What has been long?”

And Kyungsoo perks up, looking in front of him, at his current date. The boy is giving him furrowed eyebrows, his head tilted. 

“Oh umm, nothing.”

“You seem...dazed?” The boy says, his lithe fingers making circles on the menu. His lips turning into a frown. 

Kyungsoo puts a hand on his cheek. “Oh am I?” The boy nods. “I’m sorry.”

And Kyungsoo does his best to ignore the man in that far corner, near the window they marked with their initials. Saying they will be together forever. 

 

He decided to put it behind him, close the lid on the past and move forward. It was all for the best. 

Minseok can have whoever he wants. Minseok can still be so cheerful and hold on another man and kiss him under the soft rain, just like they did once upon a time. And Do Kyungsoo will close his eyes, bite his lips as he grabs the sink in the cafe’s bathroom while his date waits for him near the counter. Kyungsoo will wipe his eyes with a paper towel, make sure he looks good and go out.

He goes out, pretends nothing hurts, and holds the hands of a boy he wishes was someone else. 

 

 



 


 

 

*There's a clue as to who Kyungsoo is on a date with (an EXO member), can you guess who?? 😜