Chapter Six

Chaos of Life

Jimin had always found it hard to concentrate on his studies. There were so many other things that he could be doing, that when it came to looking at some stupid flash cards and practicing their definitions Jimin easily got distracted.

It was a lot harder to concentrate when he was this close to Yoongi.

At first, they were sitting at a normal distance away from one another. They sat across the table, and Yoongi held up flash cards to test Jimin. No physical contact, very little eye contact, normal distance away, casual study circumstances.

At some point, they had decided to look up more flashcards on the internet. Jimin couldn't find a good one so Yoongi came over to the other side of the table to help him search. The more trouble that Jimin had with words the closer Yoongi got to him, and the closer Yoongi got to him, the more trouble Jimin had concentrating. By the time they were at the bottom of the large list of flashcards, Jimin's face had seemingly permanently adopted the hue of a shiny red apple.

"Are you feeling okay?" Yoongi asked, his lips twitching upwards a little. "You seem really hot."

He reached forward without hesitation and slid his hand onto Jimin's forehead, his fingers slipping beneath Jimin's bangs. The action only made his face grow hotter. He knew that he shouldn't let it bother him so much, there was no way Yoongi, didn't know what he was doing to him and this would only encourage the behavior but Jimin couldn't help it. He peered into those inquisitive dark eyes, swallowed his pride and engaged in a silent battle of the wits with the older boy. Even the tips of his ears were burning.

"You're the worst," he murmured, his eyes dropping to the table. Yoongi retracted his fingers, and his gaze lingered for a moment too long on Jimin.

"I know," he stated. Jimin peeked up at him in time to see his head turning away. From the angle, Jimin was sitting at he couldn't see Jimin's face, but he could see that his cheeks were puffed out a little more than normal. Was he… smiling?

"Let's go over the cards one more time," Yoongi suggested softly, picking up the physical pile of cards they had. "If you get them all this time, I'll give you a reward."

"A reward?" Jimin asked, his head perking up slightly. "Why?"

"You've been studying hard despite all of the distractions," he responded. "Good behavior ought to be rewarded."

"I'm not a dog," Jimin murmured back, but he didn't mind the idea. No one had ever cared that much about his study habits, it was kind of nice to think that Yoongi did. Unless it was all part of his plot to get him to trust him of course.

"Yeah, you're not nearly as obedient as one," Yoongi teased back. Jimin stuck his tongue out at the older boy and picked up the pad of cards handing it to him so that they could start the terms again.

"Accounts," Yoongi murmured. Jimin looked away from him, trying to recall the definition. He vividly remembered what had been going on the first time he heard the word in class. Yoongi had picked up a water bottle and had been drinking from it.

"They are records of all financial transactions," Jimin answered. Yoongi raised an eyebrow in his direction.

"Including?"

In Jimin's mind, he could easily see Yoongi set down the bottle and pick his pencil back up to write down the rest of the definition. It had been…

"Including expenses and receipts of an organization or individual."

Yoongi nodded and switched the card.

"Capital Gains Tax?"

Jimin didn't miss a beat this time.

"The amount of tax that is payable on the profit from the sale of a capital asset, either a property or an investment."

"Liquid asset?"

"This refers to cash or any asset that can be quickly converted to cash without loss in value."

"Keynesian Economics?"

"The various theories formulated by the British economist John…" He paused. He had to know the exact definition for the quiz. These were going to be short answer questions, not multiple choice. He tried to remember what had been happening when he last heard this definition. He could recall Yoongi, reaching over the table to scroll further down on the computer, his body brushing against Jimin's. "John Maynard Keynes during the Great Depression, which he published in his book "The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money" which came out in…. 1935?"

"1936," Yoongi corrected, his hand reaching up to brush his hair out of his eyes. Ah, Jimin would definitely remember that date now.

"Macroeconomics and Microeconomics," Yoongi continued after a moment. Jimin had to really scrape his brain to remember that one. He remembered the actual day that his professor spoke about it. Yoongi had been wearing a pink dress shirt that had looked so good on him that Jimin had almost complimented it. Emphasis on almost. Instead, he kept quiet all of class, trying to focus on the work. At the exact moment their professor covered Macro and Microeconomics, Yoongi had gotten distracted by one of the buttons on his shirt and had undone it.

Jimin's face turned pink again as he murmured the definitions of the words.

It went on like that until they had recovered the full list of vocab terms. Yoongi took the time to jot down small stars next to the words that Jimin needed to review, and after taking a moment to jot something at the top of his paper, he folded it and stood up. Jimin watched him silently, sort of afraid to get up before Yoongi cued him to do so. He busied his hands by beginning to put his things back into his backpack.

"Are you doing anything after this?"

Jimin was taken aback by his words, so naturally, instead of responding he ended up staring stupidly at Yoongi. Yoongi didn't seem to mind Jimin's stupidity which was a relief (then again he didn't ever seem to mind the moments when Jimin was caught completely off guard by the elder boy). Instead, he placed his hands on the table and tilted his head to the side as he stared thoughtfully at Jimin.

"No? Let me take you out then. My reward is your dinner, with me."

"Just the two of us?" Jimin blurted. Yoongi's lips spread into a smirk, an expression that only made Jimin more uncertain about the situation. Yoongi didn't smile often, but this wasn't really a smile. It was much, muchmore mischievous.

"Yeah."

Yoongi stood up straight again, seeming to take Jimin's lack of a response as a yes, which it absolutely was not. Of course, the longer that Jimin put off protesting, the more that Yoongi seemed to expect him to do whatever it was he wanted to do.

Jimin stood up and slung his bag over his shoulder, looking at Yoongi expectedly instead of walking away. Yoongi puffed out his cheeks nodding as he turned and began to lead Jimin towards their destination. For a second, Jimin just watched him walk, considering running off in the other direction. Yoongi wouldn't notice right away, and he could get away with it.

But if he did run off, Yoongi would probably just be angrier with him. If he was angry at him at all, which, if Jimin was completely honest he didn't think Yoongi had anything against him.

Against his better judgment, Jimin bit his lip and rushed to catch up with Yoongi. Once he had fallen in line with Yoongi, the other boy glanced at him.

"I was starting to think you wouldn't come," he mumbled thoughtfully.

"Me too," Jimin admitted. Yoongi looked away from and his expression was empty so Jimin couldn't help but wonder if maybe he shouldn't have said what he said at all.


Yoongi took Jimin to central campus to the cafeteria that housed a number of small stand restaurants. Yoongi led Jimin confidently over to the Panda Express on campus and began to talk to the attendant softly.

The attendant seemed to recognize Yoongi but to Jimin's surprised wasn't scared. She spoke respectfully to him, never addressing him by name but it was clear from the first moment her eyes fell on Yoongi that she knew him because her eyes shone. Jimin got so lost staring at Yoongi as he interacted with the girl that he almost didn't notice when Yoongi turned to him.

"Have you ever eaten here before?" He asked softly. Jimin shook his head blankly, even though he vaguely remembered coming to a Panda Express once or twice as a kid with his family. Yoongi turned and began to explain how the restaurant worked and even told him what he had gotten to help him decide what to order.

He was soft when he spoke to Jimin. Jimin knew he was supposed to be scared of Yoongi, but he couldn't really put his heart into it when Yoongi was so unbelievably patient with him.

"I'll get what you got," Jimin said softly. "You know this place better than me."

"I doubt we like the same foods, are you sure?" Yoongi asked, quirking an eyebrow up curiously. Jimin smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, I bet you have a good taste," he responded. Yoongi's lip twitched up a little in a motion that Jimin wouldn't have caught. A motion he genuinely wouldn't have noticed at all if it hadn't been for the female employee who pointed as her entire body jerked backward.

"Did you just smile?" She exclaimed. Yoongi seemed taken aback by the outburst, and the girl herself seemed surprised as well. She bowed deeply murmuring an apology, but throughout the entire rest of the transaction, she kept giving both Yoongi and Jimin odd looks. Jimin tried not to think about it.

Yoongi volunteered to carry their trays to a table, so Jimin made sure to grab utensils and napkins on the way over to the table. Yoongi chose a small circular table near a window. Jimin watched him from the condiment bar for a long moment before he actually moved to sit with him.

Yoongi was very precise as he set the food out on the table. He set each plate out by each of their chairs and set aside the lunch tray. When he sat down at the table he pulled his phone out of his pocket briefly and slid through his notifications. Then he sighed and put the phone back into his pocket, his eyes wandering around the room.

He seemed to notice that the few other people in the room were nervously moving away from where Yoongi had sat at the table. He didn't seem to be too bothered by the situation, but it looked like it was more in a used to it sort of way than anything else.

Jimin's fingers tightened around the napkins in his hands. Did Yoongi really deserve the treatment he got? He tried not to think too much about it.

He walked back over to Yoongi and handed him a pair of chopsticks.

"Do you eat here often?" He asked him conversationally as he began to pick at the noodles and meat that Yoongi was already digging into. Yoongi nodded, his mouth full, not speaking until he had swallowed all of his food.

"Yes, pretty often."

"That explains why the lady at Panda Express seemed to recognize you," Jimin said with a chuckle. He frowned and circled the noodles with his chopsticks. "Do you come with people?"

He glanced up at Jimin and swallowed again.

"I don't really have any friends to go with."

"Well, you must still have dates right?"

Yoongi stared at him blankly so Jimin continued.

"Besides the lady at Panda Express seemed to really like you."

Yoongi snorted and set down his chopsticks, intertwining his fingers. Amusement riddled across his face.

"And what about you? A cute guy like you must get a lot of dates," he said pointedly. "Do you really want to play this game?"

Jimin's face reddened and suddenly he found his food to be interesting. He wanted to say that it was because of Yoongi asking about his dating history, but the way his heart had raced at being called a cute guy was an undeniable clue at the real reason behind the sudden curiosity with his noodles. He plucked up a piece of meat and put it into his mouth.

The meat was sweet and tangy. A brilliant distraction from his former embarrassment.

"This food is incredible," he said, letting a low whistle escape his mouth. "What beverage did we get again? Sprite?"

He was so busy shoveling noodles in his mouth, trying not to look stupid that he almost didn't notice the way that Min Yoongi's lips slowly settled into a soft smile. One that didn't leave his mouth as soon as it arrived. Instead, it was a smile that stayed in its place for a few long minutes as he watched Jimin eat his food and stammer away his insecurities. If he had noticed, he surely would have had to excuse himself from Yoongi's presence for a while...

When Jimin finally got back to his room after a surprisingly comfortable but quiet walk back to his hall he found that he was utterly exhausted. Jimin hadn't even given himself much time to say goodbye to Yoongi. Instead, he had nervously fumbled with his keys to the point that Yoongi had to help him get the door open for him. He had stammered out a thank you and nervously bowed before shutting the dorm door.

The only one who had found his behavior at all odd was Namjoon. He quirked an eyebrow at Jimin, but in response, Jimin just mumbled a "hello" and rushed into the bathroom to prepare for bed.

What Namjoon didn't know at the moment would not hurt anyone at all.