Chapter Twelve

Chaos of Life

"Finally free!" Taehyung announced as he burst into the dorm room. Jimin glanced back at him over his shoulder just in time to watch his friend toss his backpack across the room and faceplant into his bed.

"Finished your last exam?" Jimin observed. Taehyung flipped his body clumsily and stared at the ceiling with an almost euphoric expression riddled across his face.

"I have finally transcended the shackles of this school," Taehyung responded instead of giving a real answer. "No longer will I have to slave away behind a prison of birchwood, and rock burned by the piping hot flames of oppression. From this point on I am a free man set loose in this world with nothing but liquid courage."

Jimin stared at him in silence and then he cocked his head to the side.

"You just finished your first semester of at least eight."

Taehyung sat up and glared at Jimin.

"You just had to ruin it didn't you?"

Jimin laughed and rested his chin on in his hands.

"It's kinda weird though isn't it? In high school winter break was just that... A break over the winter but here, well it's like a whole new start. We might not see all the same people again," Jimin stated thoughtfully. Taehyung squinted his eyes a little.

"Are you worried about seeing Yoongi?"

Sometimes Jimin really appreciated the way that his friends knew him. He was close to everyone in his friend group how could he not be? They had been together for practically their entire lives. Taehyung especially had this uncanny way of just knowing what was on Jimin's mind. There was no hiding anything from him.

Of course, sometimes that because Jimin didn't always want to tell his friends everything but on days like this, it was a good thing.

"He doesn't even live in our city, I'm not going to see him for like two and a half months straight," Jimin repeated. God, he hated how pathetic he sounded. He and Yoongi had only been together for a little while and in the grand scope of things he hadn't known Yoongi long at all.

So why did he feel so hopeless when he went more than twelve hours without seeing him. Why was he so reliant on a simply getting to say hi to a guy that he hadn't even known a year ago? They were barely even officially dating…

Oh god, they were officially dating.

Half the reason that Jimin's past relationships hadn't worked out was that he was clingy. That was never outright said but… He knew that was why. He really liked the attention from the people that he liked, in fact, he craved it. He always wanted to be around them and be in their thoughts, and when he was with them he wanted them to pay attention to him.

It was selfish. Probably the most genuinely selfish thing about him. He craved that attention so much. He couldn't do that to Yoongi. What if Yoongi left him because of it?
Before Jimin could follow that particular stream of thoughts he was smacked on the head. He pouted and rubbed his head gently, looking at Taehyung in confusion.

"You're thinking too much about this," Taehyung said firmly. "I understand your concern, and it isn't misplaced but instead of spiraling about it, you should talk to Yoongi."

"But-"

"Don't you guys have a date tonight anyways? I mean I don't know him very well, but I know him well enough to know that I know he would be mad at you if he knew you were hiding thoughts like that from. You two are in a relationship now. You have to be honest with him."

Jimin stared at his friend astonished by the load of advice.

Sure, he loved his friends to death, but he wasn't used to them giving him such great advice. Taehyung was right absolutely ing right. If you weren't honest with Yoongi about how you felt there was no way he wouldn't leave you.

One of the reasons he seemed to have liked Jimin in the first place was because he had been unafraid to talk to him the very first time they met. He had to make a pattern of that. Talking to Yoongi.

It couldn't be that hard to do.

"Thanks, Tae," Jimin said, a small smile crossing his face. "You know, that was probably one of the smartest things you have ever said to me?"

"I regret it already, I had to use my brain," Taehyung quipped right back. He leaned back comfortably against his bed frame. "Are you working this summer?"

"I should," Jimin replied thoughtfully. "I applied for a job at a corner store. You?"

"I got an internship, I'm going to be working in an office," he replied. "I have to wear a suit and everything."

"Kim Taehyung in a suit," Jimin said in awe. "Almost makes me wish I was single, all of the female interns are going to be all over you."

Taehyung laughed and struck a pose on the bed.

"I mean, can you blame them?" He teased. Jimin laughed along with him and stretched out his arms.

"Do you want to do anything before my date tonight?" Jimin asked. A frown found itself on his lips. "I'm bored."

"We could be productive and like pack up," Taehyung suggested. You stared at him quietly. He rolled his eyes. "Or we could play some Smash."

A bright smile crossed Jimin's face.


By the time it was time for his date, Jimin had almost forgotten about all of his worries.

Almost.

He knew he shouldn't be so stressed out about this, but he just couldn't get it off his mind. It was ridiculous but what if Yoongi got mad at him.

Jimin fidgeted thoughtlessly with the tale of his shirt, which brought a whole new concern to Jimin's mind. Should he have tucked in his shirt? He fumbled with his fingers and looked around for a reflective surface. The nearest one he could find was a window. He began to tuck in his shirt thoughtlessly. It was a long sleeved button up, and he had left the top few buttons undone. He was dressed up very fancily. Just his nicest pair of jeans and the button up, and he was starting to wonder if he should have dressed nicer.

Yoongi doesn't really care about that kind of superficial stuff. He just likes you.

Jimin smiled meekly at the thought.

He was being dramatic. He should relax. He took a deep breath and began to untuck the back of his shirt. He would go half tucked, have untucked. He inspected his reflection thoughtfully and was going to start messing with his hair… had he really parted it right? When he noticed someone's reflection behind him. Before he could react, arms found themselves around his waist and Yoongi rested his chin on his shoulder.

"Distracted?" He asked.

Jimin's face reddened.

"Not anymore."

He looked down at the older boy.

"How did finals go?" He asked him. Yoongi grumbled, burying his face into the crook of Jimin's neck. Jimin had only ever really done that sort of thing to other people. So having it happen to him… It felt… Nice, honestly.

"I've only got one more semester Jimin, one more semester," he mumbled into Jimin's body. Jimin chuckled.

"Yeah, one more."

He grew quiet for a moment and considered asking Yoongi about what they were going to do over the coming break. He pressed his lips together and sighed.

"So, where are we going to eat?" He asked. Yoongi peeled himself away from Jimin, making Jimin regret he had asked at all. Yoongi's body had been so warm… He missed it already.

"This small place downtown. Do you mind walking?"

Jimin shrugged, giving Yoongi a soft smile.

They walked mostly in silence.

Normally, Jimin wouldn't have minded that, but he was antsy. He couldn't keep things to himself on a good day, and when he had really serious things to keep from a person he generally just tried to avoid that person until it stopped bugging him.

It was hard to avoid Yoongi though, when just as much as he wanted to avoid him, he wanted to see him.

"Yoongi… I leave for home in a few days," Jimin stated.

Yoongi nodded slowly.

"You do."

"And then we are going to be doing our own things this summer," he continued. Yoongi nodded again.

"Yes."

"And you're going to go home."

"...No."

Jimin turned to look at him, his eyebrows scrunching together.

"What?"

"I got a job out of town," he replied. He was nonchalant about it. Jimin had always found his calm demeanor to be adorable. It was one of the reasons he had been drawn to him. Jimin was used to being one of the most energetic in his group of friends. It was relaxing to be around someone who didn't really have any preference for whether or not he was full of energy or not. It made Jimin want to be calm more often.

However, at the moment it was borderline infuriating because all he wanted was a straight answer.

"Out of town?" He asked hesitantly. Yoongi nodded, and at a glance, Jimin could almost swear that he was smirking at him…

"Yeah."

He didn't elaborate, which made Jimin pout.

"Yoongi," he whined. "Where are you going to be this summer. If we don't plan something we won't see each other at all."

Yoongi laughed, and held out his hand, holding his palm flat as he did so. Jimin just stared at the outstretched palm for a moment, wondering why he was being offered it. Yoongi ruled his eyes at Jimin's dullness and grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers.

"You don't trust me at all do you?" He asked pleasantly. "When we first started hanging out together I was looking into jobs, and I applied for some your hometown perchance. I'll be staying with Namjoon over Christmas break."

Jimin's mouth gaped.

"R-Really?" He asked. Yoongi finally caught Jimin's eyeline and gave him a bright, confident smile.

"Really."

Yoongi's smile. That really was something that he had taken for granted in the little time the two had been together.

When Yoongi smiled his eyelids squinted closer together, and the corners of his eyes crinkled in a way that aged him a little, but in a way that made him look even more squishier than he already looked. His cheeks bulged out, and his lips spread out so wide that Jimin could see his gums. It was precious.

It was something worth striving for…

Of course, this was just one of many of his precious smiles.

He had his gummy smile, the one that he was able to see right now, and he also had softer smiles. Smiles that you couldn't see his gums and all you could see was he bright pearly whites. Sometimes he even just smiled with his eyes. His lips didn't have to be turned up for him to know that he was feeling gleeful.

As Jimin stared at him, wide-eyed and thoughtful, Yoongi's expression softened. He tilted his head.

"Jimin, what are you thinking about?" He asked. Jimin waved it off with his free hand.

"Nothing, I'm just… I'm just really happy."

Yoongi gave Jimin a pressed look and hit him gently on the shoulder.

"If we don't walk a bit faster we are going to miss our reservation," he warned. Jimin smiled warmly and nodded, hurrying to keep up with his boyfriend as he picked up speed.