Chapter 5

Love thy Enemy

Meanwhile, Jinki was finding it very difficult to even concentrate on what he was doing. His thoughts kept straying to the person he'd seen, and if Jonghyun had lied to him. Jinki knew he wouldn't be able to rest or even calm himself down until he found out exactly what was going on. The only way he could even do that was by going back to the scene and speaking to the family who had been in tears. As he walked down the street, Jinki felt everyone's eyes on him, almost as if they were waiting for an altercation. Without missing a beat, he walked over to the building and asked a vendor where he could find the family. Once he found out their flat number, Jinki immediately went up and knocked at their door. A young child soon opened the door, while staring at him wide-eyed.

"Is your father there?"

Almost immediately, the man he'd seen earlier came to the door.

"Can I help you?"

Instantly, Jinki showed the man a picture of Jonghyun and asked if he'd seen him before.

"I'm sorry. I don't know who this person is"

"Are you sure? Please look carefully"

"I mean it. I have no idea who he is"

There was something about this situation that seemed sort of forced. Almost as if the man was afraid of him. Jinki was sure the man was lying, as he saw his eyes widen, and heard the sharp intake of breath as he saw Jonghyun's picture. Why wasn't he telling him the truth?

"I can't help you if you don't tell me the truth"

"I swear I have never seen this person in my life"

When the man spoke with such conviction, Jinki definitely had to believe him. It was definitely possible that he was wrong. He shouldn't have suspected Jonghyun at all. Maybe it really was just his mind that was playing tricks on him. Jinki couldn't even begin to imagine how Jonghyun would feel right now. Guessing that he'd feel hurt, Jinki quickly ordered a bouquet to be delivered to Jonghyun's place.

**************************************************************

Jonghyun left the office after completing his usual regimen of concealing the additional tattoos. He'd definitely gone too far this time. If he hadn't been able to save his skin at the last minute, he would have definitely been caught out by Jinki. Once again, he thanked the heavens for letting him know how Jinki normally thinks and made his way back home. Arriving later than usual, he saw that the dining table had been set for him and that his mother and sister had already gone to bed. Heating the chicken, Jonghyun ate ravenously before retiring to his room. His face lit up as he saw the bouquet of deep red roses on his desk. His favorite. The accompanying card just said, "Forgive me?". The best part of this was that Jinki seemed to feel guilty, and this way Jonghyun felt quite sure that there wouldn't be any more random trips to his office to 'check up' on him. Although part of him felt a little guilty, the rest of him just felt elated by the fact that he had managed to outsmart Jinki. This feeling gave him a high, something he'd never achieved with alcohol. This secret life of his was definitely worth it, and contrary to what he used to think, he'd started to like it. After sending a quick text to Jinki, Jonghyun went to sleep, exhausted after his crazy day.

**************************************************************

Meanwhile, Jinki still couldn't get over the feeling in his gut. As much as that family had tried to hide it, Jinki had seen the little flicker of recognition on the child's face as she hid behind her father. Could it be that she had just seen Jonghyun somewhere outside? Or was it possible that Jonghyun was somehow involved in all of this? For the life of him, Jinki didn't know if he should listen to his heart or to the voice of reason that was whispering warnings in his brain. His phone lit up signaling a text. Picking it up, Jinki read through the text sent by Jonghyun, which had a picture of him holding the bouquet and the words "Goodnight, I love you". As usual, Jinki melted at the cuteness of his boyfriend but looked at the picture and whispered, "Jonghyun-ah, are you lying to me?"

A week passed by quickly as Jinki was too busy with work to give in to his nagging thoughts. All he wanted to do was to just go back to the location and see if he was able to spot any other members of that mob. Facing a lot of stares, most of them hostile, Jinki found himself in luck. There were indeed, a few individuals harassing some street vendors, which thoroughly pissed Jinki off. Taking a breath, he approached one of them, who was coincidentally the same person who'd threatened him earlier.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"

"Make me, pretty boy"

Without even flinching, Jinki pulled back his arm and punched that guy's face with all of his strength. The next thing he saw was the others rushing towards him. He fought like a cornered tiger when suddenly, all went black.