Chapter 12

Love thy Enemy

Knowing that the others wouldn't interfere in their fight, Jonghyun knew he had to make it look realistic enough for the two of them to be able to escape without repercussions. As Jonghyun watched the literal bloodbath happening around them, he saw Jinki shooting himself in the stomach before sinking to the ground with a groan. Knowing why he'd done this, Jonghyun closed his eyes and shot the remaining few members from both organizations before rushing to Jinki's side.

"Why did you do this, Jinki-ah"

"You know how this would be. Go. Leave this place before Mr. Z comes here"

"How can I leave you like this?"

"Trust me, I know what to do. Just go"

Taking one last look at Jinki who was pressing his stomach to stop the blood flow, Jonghyun wiped away his tears and made his way out as quickly as possible. As he left, Jonghyun could see Jinki's boss and other members entering. Jinki had wanted him out so that he would be safe.

************************************************************************

Jinki stayed slumped on the floor, groaning with pain. Although he'd done this on purpose, he still hoped the others would arrive soon, before he died from loss of blood. Almost instantly, Mr. Z appeared with the others and looked around in shock, observing the large number of bodies in the room.

"Mr. Z"

"Jinki, you're alive...so much blood...we'll get you to the hospital immediately"

With a weak smile, Jinki allowed himself to be lifted to his feet. The last thing he could remember was holding his mentor's hand as the driver raced around the town. When he came to, Jinki found himself wearing a hospital gown with a bunch of tubes attached to his arm. Gasping as he saw who was next to him, holding a gun over his head, Jinki struggled to find the button to call the hospital staff. It was Mr. X from the Morita Tenshin. The man who had found the 18-year-old Jonghyun.

"You killed my men, didn't you? I'm not worried about that. What I'm more concerned about is why one of my men was still alive. If he was the last person out, then you would be dead"

"I really don't know what you're talking about, Sir"

"Don't lie to me. If you do, the last sound you'd hear would be the sound of your brains hitting this wall behind you"

"I'm not lying. After I got shot, I think everyone thought I was dead"

Something about his earnest face must have convinced Mr. X that he was telling the truth since Jinki saw the gun being lowered. Jinki grabbed his phone and sent a quick SOS message to his mentor when Mr. X wasn't looking and hoped that help would arrive soon.

"That makes sense, young man. However, tell me this. Why is my man sitting in the waiting room? I'm sure you know someone by the name of Kim Jonghyun"

Jinki felt beads of sweat trickle down his back as he realized the underlying meaning of what the man was saying. It seemed to be an indirect threat. A doubt had already begun to sink into Mr. X's mind and it was just a matter of time before he did any digging to find out the truth of their relationship. As Jinki worried about what to say, the door of the ward suddenly opened with a crash and his mentor shot Mr. X in the head, killing him instantly. It was exactly like how Mr. X had predicted. Deep red blood was splattered all over the wall, with some of it covering Jinki. 

"Jinki, are you alright? I'm sorry for not expecting that man to walk in here, but I'm glad you texted me"

"I'm fine"

"I'll get someone to clean up this place, and then Mr. Z will come and have a few words with you"

Mr. Z was coming? This wasn't going to be good. After sending a text to Jonghyun, asking him to leave the hospital, Jinki found himself drifting into a dreamless sleep. Waking up with a start as he heard someone near him cough, Jinki sat up to find Mr. Z watching him intently.

"You've had quite a day, haven't you? I'm proud of you, Jinki. In a short time, you proved yourself to be invaluable to the organization. You risked your life for us, and let me tell you this. The Family never forgets. I met your boyfriend outside, and I heard that he's been here at the hospital for longer than anyone else. Such a nice young man. You've found someone who loves and cherishes you. I've spoken to our Godfather and he agrees with me that you've earned this. You can continue your day job at the company, but you are henceforth relieved from your duties as a bodyguard"

Shocked, Jinki looked at Mr. Z who nodded to him. It was true. He had earned his freedom.

"Thank you, Mr. Z. How can I ever repay you for this?"

"Hush, child. You've already done everything. I'll send that boyfriend of yours inside, he's been worried sick about you. You did well on your last assignment, and I'm always here if you need anything. You can now get the symbol removed, or covered up. Good luck, Lee Jinki"

Jonghyun knocked at the door just a few minutes after Mr. Z left, and Jinki gasped when he saw the shadows under Jonghyun's eyes. For the first time ever, he could honest;y say that Jonghyun looked horrible. His hair seemed unkempt, but the smile that lit up his whole face was definitely worth watching. Rushing towards the bed, Jonghyun hugged Jinki, watching for the tubes. 

"Jinki-ah, don't you dare do that again. I thought I would lose you"

"I never have to do it again. I've been relieved of my duties, but what about you? If anyone finds out that you're a yakuza too, that would be hell on Earth"

******************************************************************

Jonghyun caressed the side of Jinki's worried face and slowly ed his shirt. Where there used to be the symbol of the organization, there was a peony instead. How had this happened? Jonghyun's mentor had just visited and threatened him not less than an hour ago.

"Jonghyun-ah, how?"

*Flashback*

Jonghyun rushed into the headquarters, not caring about his appearance, and sank to his knees in front of his Godfather, with tears running down his face.

"What's the matter, Kim Jonghyun?"

"Father, I don't think I can continue this any longer. I can't destroy the person I love"

"I know all about it. I knew there was a traitor in our midst, so I planned to smoke him out. I created our rival organization with the help of my brother, who acts as the Godfather there. Now that we've found and eliminated the traitor, we are going to combine the two organizations again"

"A traitor?"

"It was X, the man who found you and brought you to me. Go on, go be with Lee Jinki. He'd need you the most from now on"

For the first time, Jonghyun saw compassion in the eyes of his Godfather and understood what he was saying. He was free.

*End of Flashback*

"Jonghyun-ah, how did this happen?"

"Let's just say the whole thing was planned. It doesn't matter anymore as we can finally be together. Forever"

As he leaned in for a kiss, Jonghyun heard Jinki whisper to him as he hugged him tightly,

"I love you, Jonghyun-ah"